Should the PCB consider holding an annual PSL style ODI league to upgrade Pakistan's ODI game?

Savak

Test Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
I believe this is one way our players can modernize and upgrade their approach to ODI Cricket and also have a decent amount of annual ODI games in the year given the decline in the amount of ODI cricket in the last 4 years. India played 54 ODI's since the 2019 ODI WC whereas Pakistan only played 30 ODI's and that too against minnows like Zimbabwe, Bangladesh or the C, D teams of Australia, England, South Africa and New Zealand.

Maybe the PCB can look to an October November window for this tournament. Same rules as PSL where the franchises have the right to scout for foreign players.

National Cup and it’s running right now. Tune in and get with the program.

Don't think an ODI franchise league would work.

Players can make more money and for less work by playing T20 and T10.

I believe this is one way our players can modernize and upgrade their approach to ODI Cricket and also have a decent amount of annual ODI games in the year given the decline in the amount of ODI cricket in the last 4 years. India played 54 ODI's since the 2019 ODI WC whereas Pakistan only played 30 ODI's and that too against minnows like Zimbabwe, Bangladesh or the C, D teams of Australia, England, South Africa and New Zealand.

Maybe the PCB can look to an October November window for this tournament. Same rules as PSL where the franchises have the right to scout for foreign players.
No private corporates would be interested in buying teams as there wouldn't be many eyeballs. Same for sponsors.
All Pakistan national team cricketers would use the window to play a foreign t20 league where they would get paid more.

Foreigners wouldn't get paid much as VIEWERSHIP would be negligible. I consider myself a big cricket fan but would not want to watch a domestic ODI league

I believe that an annual PSL-style ODI league could be a game-changer for Pakistan’s ODI cricket. It would not only provide a platform for young talent to shine but also help in improving the overall standard of ODI cricket in the country. Plus, it would be a treat for us fans to watch too.

It’s obviously a great idea.
Pakistan are the pioneers of local tournaments of the highest level.

Back in the day, when T20 leagues were unheard of outside England, they had ABN-AMRO T20 cup. In fact Bharatiyas stole this idea to create ICL and then hat idea was later again stolen by Lalit Modi of Gujarat to create IPL. This great idea was then eventually stolen by PCB to create PSL.

S

There should be PSL style Test Cricket franchise as well given Pakistans poor home record last year. In fact scratch the PCB, and give franchises full control to run cricket.Privatise it completely

If we want to modernize the players approach we need to stop hyping these rubbish players

It's easy for our batsmen, they know not much skill is required, just a solid defence and score a 70 ball 50 every other match and bam they are super stars

We fans have set that benchmark for them, after the Afghanistan loss these boys had a backlash and damn they are a different team

Too many fans in pakistan think they know it all they will vouch for a player at the beginning of his career and then rest of the life they will defend that player just to prove they know more cricket than everyone else and they were right about that player

No point plus afterthis world cup I don't think odi format will survive in the long run
Pretty much.

It'll be money down the drain, which can be better spent elsewhere developing some youngsters at grassroots.

nothing will happen until if we do not make substantial changes to grass root levels.

ODI is dying so no, this wouldn't make much sense. Maybe if Pakistan were starting this 20-30 years ago to include foreign players like T20 leagues nowadays, maybe it would work then.

For Pakistan to level up in ODI's, they should do so by improving in Tests & T20's since ODI's are a mixture of the two anyways.

Depends a lot on how much money it generates. And with 50 overs, not many foreign players would want to put in that much hard work if the money offer doesn't outmatch t20 league's. And there'll be the issue of any player breaking down in the tournament for nothing. Pacers won't want to be part of it.

My sources tell me that PCB is a broke board though

Broke Board? The PCB is number 4 on the ICC revenue distribution table and in terms of net worth of Cricket Boards and this is without not having hosted India at home since 2008.

Back