Should Virat Kohli be allowed to play for India now that he doesn't live in India?

Should Virat Kohli be allowed to play for India now that he doesn't live in India?

• Total voters

Rajdeep

T20I Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
I don't know what the rules are but mostly players playing for a nation lives in that nation. Same applies to the coaches.

Kohli has now sold his house in Mumbai and permanently shifted to UK. There he has new life, his daughters school, upbringing the child in foreign country etc etc. He is now a NRI (Non Residential Indian).

In a situation like this he will mostly be skipping any pre tour camps or any other cricket gatherings and will just join the team on match days.

I know he is an ATG and served Indian cricket long. However, should he be allowed to play for India anymore since he dont live in India?

I don't know what the rules are but mostly players playing for a nation lives in that nation. Same applies to the coaches.

Kohli has now sold his house in Mumbai and permanently shifted to UK. There he has new life, his daughters school, upbringing the child in foreign country etc etc. He is now a NRI (Non Residential Indian).

In a situation like this he will mostly be skipping any pre tour camps or any other cricket gatherings and will just join the team on match days.

I know he is an ATG and served Indian cricket long. However, should he be allowed to play for India anymore since he dont live in India?

Please give a proper source stating that they have permanently moved to London.

This says nothing about his decision to not move to the UK. This house could very well be a holiday destination whenever he travels back to India few times a year.

Alibaug is a getaway place for Mumbai residents anyway. The fact that it is 2+ hours away from Mumbai means that it is not a practical place to live for people like Kohli and Anuskha who mainly work in Mumbai.

This actually makes it clear that he is selling or at least will not be living in his Mumbai apartment anymore.

Nonetheless, it is pointless thread. Kohli can live where he wants and he is heading close to retirement anyway. As long as he is available for training camps and tours, it is no one’s business where he lives.

He can afford a luxurious lifestyle anywhere in the world and it is understandable if he doesn’t want his children growing up in India and be under constant spotlight that is part of the celebrity culture in India.

What? Now he's not allowed to travel?

With such far-right sentiment in his country, his choices are not surprising. And perhaps he is more patriotic about playing for England one day. :yk2

Last edited by a moderator:
He will always be an honorary Bharatiya and hence the door to our cricket team and to our hearts will always remain open for Virat bhai.

Wishing him and Anushaka the best always. They deserve it and have earned a good life.

Please give a proper source stating that they have permanently moved to London.

Bro...its all over the news that they have shifted their base to the UK. Thats why after the ceremony in Wankhede Stadium post our WT20 win celebrations, he straight away went to the airport. Thats why he mentioned that once he retires, you will not see him for a very long time.

Ofcourse its his personal life and he can stay anywhere. However, I feel as an active cricketer he should stay in the country. Post retirement, sure..he can go anywhere.

What? Now he's not allowed to travel?

Sir its not just travelling...he and his family now lives in the UK. Remember when Mickie Arthur said he will coach the team via zoom? These things don't work when you are engaged with a team full time. Similarly as an active player, I feel he should live in the country that he represents.

For example, pre season camp for upcoming 10 test matches for India already started. Kohli no where to be seen and also not played in Duleep trophy. He also skipped 5 test match against Eng as he was in UK.

I think we need to draw line somewhere irrespective of the stature of the player.

He will always be an honorary Bharatiya and hence the door to our cricket team and to our hearts will always remain open for Virat bhai.

Wishing him and Anushaka the best always. They deserve it and have earned a good life.

Bhai good life retirement ke baad...not as an active cricketer. Raina also moved to Netherlands but no one cares as he is retired. Kohli is still an active cricketer playing for India.

Sir its not just travelling...he and his family now lives in the UK. Remember when Mickie Arthur said he will coach the team via zoom? These things don't work when you are engaged with a team full time. Similarly as an active player, I feel he should live in the country that he represents.

For example, pre season camp for upcoming 10 test matches for India already started. Kohli no where to be seen and also not played in Duleep trophy. He also skipped 5 test match against Eng as he was in UK.

I think we need to draw line somewhere irrespective of the stature of the player.
That is different. As coach, Mickey is responsible for the whole team. It makes no sense for him to not be part of the dressing room.

Kohli is no longer captain. He is only responsible for his own performance. As long as he is performing, it shouldn’t matter where he’s living and whether he’s attending long camps or not.

However, picking and choose when to play is something India should regulate unless they don’t have a problem with it. Moving forward, he will probably only play the important Test and ODI series.

India has a toxic media/tabloid culture, not just celebrities, even family members, children are hounded by paparazzi like wild animal packs. Perfectly understandable if they prefer to bring up their family far away from such spotlight.

That is different. As coach, Mickey is responsible for the whole team. It makes no sense for him to not be part of the dressing room.

Kohli is no longer captain. He is only responsible for his own performance. As long as he is performing, it shouldn’t matter where he’s living and whether he’s attending long camps or not.

However, picking and choose when to play is something India should regulate unless they don’t have a problem with it. Moving forward, he will probably only play the important Test and ODI series.

Now that he retired from T20Is and ODI cricket is few and far in between, so he will only realistically play Test cricket and IPL. Hope he plays all test matches going forward without skipping any.

As long as he is committed to play the matches and practice matches/First class for the team,it should not be a problem. But if he doesn't wants to improve his game and wants to participate only in test matches, it's a serious problem. He is struggling against spin and practice in England will not help him .Dhawan used to stay in Melbourne and play quite well.As Kohli is an active cricketer, he should be more willing to accommodate the team needs(Improvement against spin,playing
Fc to regain form and confidence etc) as he is a legend but his ego will not let him .

Practice camp started from Today and he is already in Chennai .

His erning is so huge that he can buy properties anywhere in the world .

What you said isn't confirmed brother however even if that's the case he's 35 going onto 36, he's pretty much done qith cricket now.

He's not a 22 year old who did this. His services to India are more or less complete now. All that's left is CT, WC and WTC, He has no need for tours or bilaterals anymore.

And even then idk if he'll make it past Ct 2025.

How are you so sure about that he is NRI now?

There is no confirmation from anywhere that Kohli is shifting to UK.

Anushka gave birth to their second child in London. All of a sudden Kohli skipped the entire England series where news reports suggested all was not well in that pregnancy.

Since then Anushka has stayed in London.

No-one knows the reason. There have been speculation that it may be due to medical reasons.
Bro...its all over the news that they have shifted their base to the UK. Thats why after the ceremony in Wankhede Stadium post our WT20 win celebrations, he straight away went to the airport. Thats why he mentioned that once he retires, you will not see him for a very long time.

Ofcourse its his personal life and he can stay anywhere. However, I feel as an active cricketer he should stay in the country. Post retirement, sure..he can go anywhere.
He is plugging the project & got a house free as fee .
Both. He wanted a farm house. He got it.

He is an Indian citizen & can play for India, as simple as that! And sold his Mumbai house, are you sure about that? He might be having multiple houses in Mumbai.

Though the point is that till the time he is not compromising on his training & fitness, nobody has the right to complain where he is living. And he is too much of a professional to do that.

Players like Kohli can walk into any side - he could be living on Mars and still be a sure pick for any Earth-based side.
On ability. But what about perception.

This guy has reached the peak of Indian society in terms of prestige, status and wealth but feels India isn't good enough to live in or raise his kids.

It must be hurtful for the fans who put him in this position and a source of shame for the country.

I can see why it would upset patriotic people.

He is still an Indian citizen. As long as he is present for practices he should be fine. But i think if he considers skipping series at his own convenience then he should quit the formats he doesn't want to play. Apparently he has skipped 2 Test important series for his personal reasons. So i suppose he can quit test format.

As long as he has Indian Citizenship, he can play for India as much as he wants regardless of where he lives. I expect him to stay till 2027 before calling it a day and retiring (perhaps after winning a WTC?)

It's his life and right to live wherever he wants too. IK used to spend half his time living in the UK when he was a professional cricketer. Some Pakistani Cricketers live in Dubai.

Kohli did mention that once he leaves the game, he will prefer to step away from the lime light and not even return to the game in any capacity.

SHikhar Dhawan was living in Melbourne ( after getting married to an Australian ) and played for India for many years. Nobody had any problems. Wonder why wud anybody have any issues with Virat Kohli living in London ( which I don't think is true)

Don’t many cricketers including Shakib and all Afghanistan cricketers live outside their home country?

I have a feeling once Kohli is retired he will just quietly go away for years. I don’t see him coming into coaching, mentorship roles, commentary or even administration. He’s earned a hell lot of money and played with a very very high intensity. He has enough investments now to take care of him for the rest of life without needing to work. I actually wish him well. He deserves the break. England will help him live peacefully with his family. He’s been an icon , a patriot and a hero. No complaint ever from him. This man gave his all.

I have a feeling once Kohli is retired he will just quietly go away for years. I don’t see him coming into coaching, mentorship roles, commentary or even administration. He’s earned a hell lot of money and played with a very very high intensity. He has enough investments now to take care of him for the rest of life without needing to work. I actually wish him well. He deserves the break. England will help him live peacefully with his family. He’s been an icon , a patriot and a hero. No complaint ever from him. This man gave his all.
Naah

An alpha male like him can never stay away from the limelight for long. He will be back very soon after retirement. As mentor or coach or BCCI office bearer

Rohit is more likely to fade away quietly after retirement - or at best become a mentor / IPL icon like Sachin

Shoaib Malik also lives in Dubai so does that mean he's not eligible to play for Pakistan?

I have a feeling he will miss the limelight after a year. Plus a lucrative offer from BCCI or IPL might be too hard to turn down, he might devote 2-3 months to the IPL and then chill for the remainder of the year.

Kohli basks in limelight. He married an actress who too can't stay away from spotlight.

it's not about money. More money becomes meaningless after a certain point. It's all about power and control.

No way these two are giving up on that easily.

He might go away from Cricket, but he will surely pursue something else with his acquired fame.

Until and Unless he gives up his Indian Citizenship , he can represent India , no matter where he lives.

Whether he is to be allowed to play for India or not is to be decided by BCCI. Most of the players who represent India in Davis cup tennis tournament have been living in USA. Yet they make it a point to represent India in the tournament. Why not then Kohli represent India? He could not play for England as ICC rule stipulates if he is to play for any other country he is not to play for India for seven years.

Viswanathan Anand have settled in Spain long back due to travel constraints and representing India in chess .As long as kohli performs ,its not an issue.only issue is he is struggling against spin and England is not a good place to learn anything against spin

Why are Pakistanis and Indians so fixated on their countrymen living in their own country? Especially when we all know that if they had the same opportunity to move abroad, most would in heartbeat.

No dual citizenship in India my friend.
Well, then it depends on Kohli. If he chose to be a citizen of Uk then he might take this decision after his retirement from all forms of cricket. He is already nearing retirement so it might not matter much.

He wants to settle outside India where he is not recognized, saw him in a recent interview that they want a normal childhood for kids. So I wish him well. I believe we will not see him for atleast few years post retirement. He deserves a break.

As he's close to retirement, we don't have to bother much on representing india

Make money by being recognized and getting your face plastered on billboard and ads.

Once you have made the money move away from the country and say you don't want to be recognized.

What a masterful strategy.

He has been a circus clown in Test cricket for 4 years but he is still in the team. He is a commercial commodity at this point, BCCI is afraid of losing viewership if they move on from him.

He has been a circus clown in Test cricket for 4 years but he is still in the team. He is a commercial commodity at this point, BCCI is afraid of losing viewership if they move on from him.
BCCI will rather prefer earning money via this circus

ah man i dont even get these indians.

They will celebrate an Indian CEO of an American company living in US, but dont want allow Kohli to play for India because he choose not to live in India.

At the same, most of the Indian posters here are NRI....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back