Should Younis Khan retire from international cricket?

He should be given minimum one full series to he fair.

Unfair to give him the axe over 3 innings.

Link

1zyzsll.png

Only what 9 Test tons last 20 Tests. Quite a struggle that.

Only what 9 Test tons last 20 Tests. Quite a struggle that.

All scored by jumping and dancing on the crease.

Can't face pacers even though for the majority of his career he batted at #3 or #4 with beyond pathetic openers which meant he was always on the pitch in the first 15 overs.

Not before 10,000 Fc runs.

Records are imp :)

The guy has averaged 55 plus in last 4 years.

Apart from 1 innings from Misbah & 2 innings from Shafiq all our batsman have failed uptil now. Give them time. 5 innings to go.

I know mein b serheeaal hua hua hun iss performance se per churaeeaan chaaqu waapas rakho drawer mein. Baad mein nikaalna. Sabar kero. Lots of cricket remainingm

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

That's the monumental difference between Pakistanis and Indian fans, it's huge . Indians know how to show respect and keep faith on veterans and experienced. That's why Kapil, Sachin, Dravid, Gavaskar, Laxman, Kumble, Harbhajan, Venksarkar, Shehwag, Gangully all had long test carrier and all of them played more than 100 tests.They also went through bad patches but they were given time with assurance and faith by their board and fans. Whereas Pakistanis show impatience after one bad test or series and bring out knives to axe him. That's why you won't find more than 3 or 4 Pak players who have played more than 100 tests.

The problem is that Pakistan, like India, is letting washed-up former greats stay on too long.

That's why India was whitewashed the last time they took Tendulkar and Dravid to Australia and England, but not when they replaced them.

One of my all time favourite Pakistani players, a credit to the game, but what I see of him now as a batsman isn't a very pleasant sight and does his reputation and legacy no credit. So yes.

Only immature Pakistani fans would want to drop somebody who averaged 50+ in last 7 test series.

Of which all seven were in Asia. Five in the UAE and the other two against club level bowling attacks.

I actually find all of the reptilian 'jumping about' that he does borderline disturbing. Just looks weird. And most importantly it is turning him into a walking wicket - as we saw with the strangle down the leg side yesterday.

Of which all seven were in Asia. Five in the UAE and the other two against club level bowling attacks.

So?

In 2006 he averaged 65 in England.

What basis were the selectors going to drop him on?

"Sorry Younis. We're dropping you mate. 50+ average over the last 7 series + 53 career test average + 65 test average in England (2006) doesn't cut it. Out you go."

Does that sound logical to you? :))

So?

"Sorry Younis. We're dropping you mate. 50+ average over the last 7 series + 53 career test average + 65 test average in England (2006) doesn't cut it. Out you go."

I would always seek to ensure that my team only has one batsman aged 35 or over, to prevent the next generation from missing their exposure.

When Australia toured 20 months ago one of the geriatrics should have been given an ultimatum to retire or be sacked. And when you toured Bangladesh 13 months ago a second should have gone.

A couple of poor innings and the knives are out :)

No need for him to retire yet.

I think he's changed too much. He looks stern and severe. Chews his gum way to vigorously and I think he looks really tense and angry. Lost is that characteristic smile and affable character and now he looks like an aged boxer wanting one last shot to prove his worth and that he belonged.

He needs to relax and remember it's just a game and it will continue long after him. He's been a great servant to Pakistan cricket but now his technique is gone and he has been found out and targeted. He is taking the fun out of cricket for others in the line up. Azhar and asad can only step up with the departure of Younis. Pretty much like Vaughan did when naser Hussain departed.

Younis needs to know that team Pakistan is bigger than one players personal ambition. But the runs will only come when he begins to stop making it look like hard work. At best with his current technique of jumping around he can only block an early away swinger, not a late inswinger.

So?

Well it's certainly true that they couldn't drop him prior to this series but now I think it's becoming more and more obvious even to die hard fans such as myself that he is not the player of 2004-2006.

If there is doubt just look back on Zimbabwe v pak 2013 2nd test. His scratchy 20 or so when he was jumping around in conditions that were only mildly challenging were in stark contrast to the 200 he made in the test prior. Just added proof that what was an idiosyncrasy in his technique has now become a full blown disability.

The problem is that Pakistan, like India, is letting washed-up former greats stay on too long.

That's why India was whitewashed the last time they took Tendulkar and Dravid to Australia and England, but not when they replaced them.

LMAO someone who fails for 2 matches is now washed up for you? Amazing insight

And no, that is not remotedly why the whitewash happened

So?

Junaids has strong likes and dislikes about certain players and he will either bash them blindly or love them unconditionally regardless of what these players are actually doing or have done

How on earth will any selector drop Younis when he has been performing so well?

So?

Absolutely nailed it

LMAO someone who fails for 2 matches is now washed up for you? Amazing insight

And no, that is not remotedly why the whitewash happened
If you watched him v Anderson and Broad in the UAE he was already jumping around then.

He was a great player but his true age is 40 and he just isn't good enough any more.

Younus and Azhar have been a major disappointment so far in this series and could be the difference between a win and a loss in this match.

Appalling dismissal today. He should consider his position.

Yes time for him to go. If hes just gonna score in UAE then someone better should take his place. Hes done a lot for Pakistan but now its time for him to go. When hes not dancing to the pacers he holes out to the man in the deep.

He has lost the plot. Please announce your retirement YK. You are tarnishing your legacy.

:facepalm: Should seriously consider retirement

He's destroying his legacy - and this is coming from a huge YK fan himself :( :(

Very disappointed in his efforts thus far

No, he's still one of the the best Pakistani batsmen along with Shehzad and misbah.

Younis Khan averaged 68.68 in 15 matches between July 1st 2014- July 1st 2016 (before Eng series). He smashed 8 centuries as well in that period.

Yes. Let's drop him obviously.

Do we have Sachin Tendulkar on the bench? :facepalm:
We have potentially better batsmen like Haris Sohail and Saud Shakeel, both should be inducted at a young age.

We have potentially better batsmen like Haris Sohail and Saud Shakeel, both should be inducted at a young age.

They should be given a go, and fear not I don't see Misbah or Younis staying after 2016 ends. People like Azhar, and Hafeez and Masood are the ones that frustrate the hell out of me!

Look on the positive side, he's another 28 runs closer to retiring . All being well he should hit the 10k milestone circa 2019

797 runs to go.

Don't think he will go before that.

Yaar aik banday ko tou 10,000 kerne dou bhaee.

Total 2 player score ker rahay hein. Sirf Younis Khan masla nai hai.

My issue is not him struggling at the start he has always done that but when he goes to 25/30 he becomes a different player altogether.

Here four dismissals include chip to midwicket slog down the ground and a tickle down the leg. He is too casual in his approach which is very unlike him. He struggled in SA few years ago apart from one test but he was willing to grind it out. To me since that epic series against Aus in 2014 he is acting as if he is untouchable and losing his focus. That series sealed his status on world stage and cemented his legacy as a pakistani great.
He needs to go back to working hard or else this could get very ugly.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Look on the positive side, he's another 28 runs closer to retiring . All being well he should hit the 10k milestone circa 2019
There is every chance of Younis Khan scoring 797 runs in 2016 or by the end of march 2017.

Azhar is the real issue for me. 6 years and 50 odd tests down the line he is still that same walking wicket in challenging conditions.
Good players always do well on their second trip to England. Inzi failed in 92 on debut but had a good 96 your. YK and Yousaf flourished on their second trip in 2006. This guy is embarrassing to watch when he is supposed to be at his peak.

I reckon he should play the Windies series in UAE and then decide after. No point of bringing in young players when we go down under... That'll demoralise them when they fail.

All of his four dismissals have been due to poor shots. First one was chip to midwicket from a ball that was going down the leg. Second was dragging the ball onto his stumps while trying to cut Moeen. Third one was edging to the wicketkeeper from a wide ball. And his latest dismissal was a slog straight to mid on. He has definitely struggled so far on this tour but he has still managed to survive the good balls only to then throw his wicket to poor shots from deliveries that weren't anything special.

Azhar is the real issue for me. 6 years and 50 odd tests down the line he is still that same walking wicket in challenging conditions.
Good players always do well on their second trip to England. Inzi failed in 92 on debut but had a good 96 your. YK and Yousaf flourished on their second trip in 2006. This guy is embarrassing to watch when he is supposed to be at his peak.

Agreed. Younis and Misbah will retire after the Aus series.

Needs to be kicked out with immediate effect. He will embarrass himself in Australia just like he embarrassed himself in England.

He was finished years ago but playing non-stop in the UAE and Sri Lanka masked his shortcomings. He is lucky that Pakistan doesn't tour England and Australia every 2-3 years like India, otherwise his career would have been over years go.

Well everyone is struggling at the moment in Batting department so if you want Younis to Retire then you should start a campaign against Hafeez too who is not good at any format

Nothing has changed.

Younis Khan remains my all-time favourite Pakistan batsman......but I think he should retire.

In his last two series outside Asia his record is:

South Africa away: 1 century and 5 failures.
England away: 1 double century and 6 failures.

That's what happens when great players pass their best. They may roll back the years once per series and score big, but they fail most of the time.

In "white" countries we generally think that a player should retire on a high, leaving the public asking "Why did he go now?"

That's much better than what happened with people like Javed Miandad and Sachin Tendulkar, who ruined their legacies by failing frequently in old age, leaving most of us wondering "why doesn't he just go now?"

Absolute rubbish as usual. He has averaged like only what 50+ or thereabouts last eight series now (after yesterday averages 49 this series btw). Not to mention 10 Test tons including two doubles in those. Clearly struggling to score runs eh.

He needs to sort out all that jumping around the crease tho. Especially that back leg of his not sure what that was all about. Didn't see none of that yesterday tho.

He's staying at least until the end of the Australia tour, and rightly so, I suppose. Has earned it after yesterday.

After helping us get our first series win down under

Bumping this thread to see what people think now?

I feel it's time. I mean, he may still have an inning or two in him but really feel that he should retire gracefully after this series. He's served the country well and has been a great test match player for us so I would hate for him to be discarded. Would like to see him leave on his on terms and I think it's about time he did that.

Junaids has strong likes and dislikes about certain players and he will either bash them blindly or love them unconditionally regardless of what these players are actually doing or have done

How on earth will any selector drop Younis when he has been performing so well?
Younis Khan has played 10 Test innings outside Asia this year.

He has failed in 9 of them.

Sorry, but that's the end. No team can carry a forty something year old batsman at Number 5 who fails in 9 out of 10 innings.

Younis Khan has played 10 Test innings outside Asia this year.

He has failed in 9 of them.

Sorry, but that's the end. No team can carry a forty something year old batsman at Number 5 who fails in 9 out of 10 innings.

No other teams except Associates would be playing a 43+ year old player.

Him vsing Mitchell Starc at the Gabba in the day night test would be asking for a bruising.

The fact is, statistically, he is one of the best batsmen to have played the game. And, I just don't want him to ruin that because that is all he has. And I don't want him to be kicked out of the team after the WI series too because that would hurt his status as a great. The ideal scenario would be for him to try and get into the double figures in the next innings and call it a day.

I've been a supporter of Younis Khan for a long, long time and he is one of my favourite batsmen and that is why I want him to retire right now, with some grace and not turn himself into a joke.

Frankly speaking, however, the truth is, he'll fail in the next innings, then fail in Australia in 80% of the innings but wont retire because he wants 10K runs. Then he'll go to WI, he'll probably fail against a tougher Gabriel and a quicker Joseph (let's hope he doesn't) and finally get dropped. Then he'll cry to the media and wine about all his services to the nation and all his records. Get another series, fail miserably there and finally retire with an average under 50 and OK looking stats.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain..

The way afridi carried on with the long rope thrown, the media circus, and the offbeat results.
The usual drivel of ATG thrown in as well.

Such players stifle the team's growth while ensuring some success when their day arrives.

Back