Similarities between 1992 and 2023 World Cup for Pakistan

Nikhil_cric

Senior Test Player
Runs
I'll start first

1992: Pakistan were a Top 2 ranked side in 1992 - ranked only behind Australia .

2023: For the first time in 30 years, Pakistan are once again a Top 2 ranked side going into the World Cup

1992 : Pakistan's best pacer - a 20 year old tearaway, Waqar, gets injured and is ruled out of the Cup.

2023 : Pakistan's best pacer - a 20 year old tearaway, Naseem, gets injured and is ruled out of the Cup.

What are some other similarities you can think of?

1992 - Cornered tigers
2023 - Toothless tigers
Pakistan of 1992 only became Cornered Tigers after losses to Windies, India and South Africa in the World Cup. Current lot haven't been cornered yet. Will be a great test for Babar's captaincy and team's character

We are looking for similarities for fun I guess. Not comparing anybody. Any other similarity you can find???

The legendary Imran Khan had build a solid bench strength right throughout the 80s, hence the exits of Waqar and Anwar didn't stop them.

Babar plays full strength XI against Nepal, Scotland and Netherlands, how can one possibly build bench strength this way?

The legendary Imran Khan had build a solid bench strength right throughout the 80s, hence the exits of Waqar and Anwar didn't stop them.

Babar plays full strength XI against Nepal, Scotland and Netherlands, how can one possibly build bench strength this way?
Actually that's not true. If you look at the 1992 squad - Aamir Sohail , Inzi, Iqbal Sikander, Moin Khan, Wasim Haider, Zahid Fazal i.e. 6 out of 14 members of the squad had played less than 15 ODIs going into the World Cup.

Imran was a great cricketer but the myth of Imran Khan being always tactically astute and forward thinking with respect to Pakistan etc. is not always true.

So it is also a similarity that both captains are tactically not that sound.
Great cricketer, very good leader of men and a good eye for talent.

Got tactically outplayed by Woolmer and Border in that 87 semifinal .

Bobby is a very good cricketer and his team mates do play for him but I'm not sure he's the best reader of the game either.

There were also similarities during CWC2019 AND T20WC22. Therefore, similarities do not matter. Performance, resilience and determination matter

I'll start first

1992: Pakistan were a Top 2 ranked side in 1992 - ranked only behind Australia .

2023: For the first time in 30 years, Pakistan are once again a Top 2 ranked side going into the World Cup

1992 : Pakistan's best pacer - a 20 year old tearaway, Waqar, gets injured and is ruled out of the Cup.

2023 : Pakistan's best pacer - a 20 year old tearaway, Naseem, gets injured and is ruled out of the Cup.

Lol talk about living on past glories. Only similarity is both Imran and Babar selected the squad and demanded the players to be included. Imran did it for his country. Babar done it due to the buddy network

Actually that's not true. If you look at the 1992 squad - Aamir Sohail , Inzi, Iqbal Sikander, Moin Khan, Wasim Haider, Zahid Fazal i.e. 6 out of 14 members of the squad had played less than 15 ODIs going into the World Cup.

Imran was a great cricketer but the myth of Imran Khan being always tactically astute and forward thinking with respect to Pakistan etc. is not always true.

More than forward thinking, Imran was actually ruthless. He wouldn't stick with non performers, past their prime or out of form players for long.

The moment the likes of Mudassar Nazar, Saleem Yousaf, Saleem Jaffar, Tauseef Ahmed, Abdul Qadir etc stopped delivering, he was not scared to try younger alternatives immediately. He dropped his own cousin from the team as well someone who he revered while growing up

Clutching at straws.

92 had an inspirational captain. Young amazing talents like Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, as well as experienced battle-hardened players like Javed Miandad, Aamir Sohail, Moin Khan and Ramiz Raja.

Clutching at straws.

92 had an inspirational captain. Young amazing talents like Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, as well as experienced battle-hardened players like Javed Miandad, Aamir Sohail, Moin Khan and Ramiz Raja.
Nostalgia and nothing else.

Was not born in 1992 but looking at the pathetic stats of Aamir Sohail, Moin Khan and Ramiz Raja clearly shows that they have hyped themselves into some great cricketers back in the day which they were not

Babar is a cat, IK a lion
One is the greatest All-rounder Pakistan has ever produced and the other is the greatest Batsman Pakistan has ever produced

But this trend is all around the world. Current players no matter how good they are always seem inferior to past players, so cant blame you

Lol talk about living on past glories. Only similarity is both Imran and Babar selected the squad and demanded the players to be included. Imran did it for his country. Babar done it due to the buddy network
Ramiz Raja with 2 hundreds in 57 test matches played so much because the country needed him or he was a chaapluus? You decide

Right arm pacer injured
Current asia cup champion india
Unmarried Lahori captain
Karachi batsman everyone loves
Loud wicket keeper
Left arm pacer in line to be a world great

lol for fun :D

2023 World Cup would be the first World Cup after 1992 that would be played in a Round Robin format.

Right arm pacer injured
Current asia cup champion india
Unmarried Lahori captain
Karachi batsman everyone loves
Loud wicket keeper
Left arm pacer in line to be a world great

lol for fun :D
Good observations but whose the current Karachi batsman that everyone loves?

Was not born in 1992 but looking at the pathetic stats of Aamir Sohail, Moin Khan and Ramiz Raja clearly shows that they have hyped themselves into some great cricketers back in the day which they were not
We are talking about the 92 World Cup.

Each of them played their part at times in a tournament that Pakistan won. For that, each deserves credit.

I'll start first

3 differences that you forgot to mention.

A) The ranking of no 2 in 1992 wasn't a scam, back then ranking were tighther, now we have new no 1's in icc every 2 seconds. Literally every series is just switches.

B) our captain in 1992 wasn't clueless, he literally had the world's strongest winning mentality, and was overall one of the world's best tacticians, Babar is the worst. His stick with the formula strategy has caused teams to recover from collapses, caused our frontline pacers to get injured, and has always caused us to get butchered when we face frontline 2dt string teams.

C) the 1992 team wasn't a friends 11. All players were capable. Not all of them were match winners only some were but the ones who weren't match winners were utility players who contributed. This current 11 filled with shadab, Nawaz will cost us badly.

Similarities? How?

1992 Pakistan was led by veteran Imran Khan.

2023 Pakistan has a captain who is still quite young.

In 1992 we also lost all our warm-up games.
In 1992 our key bowler Waqar Younis got injured just before the World Cup. In 2023 our key bowler Naseem Shah had a similar fate.
More to come...

It's fun seeing similarities and pointing out coincidences, but it's hilarious seeing people use past tournaments as a basis for saying the same will happen this year

1992 - A young left arm pacer Wasim Akram.
2023 - A young left arm pacer Shaheen.

Finals - Shaheen will rip through English middle order ala Akram to win the WC.

There are no relevant similarities whatsoever.

The World Cup is being held in India whereas back then it was held in Australia and New Zealand.

1992 team had quality players who were alpha males with swag led by Pakistan's greatest captain of all time. The current team is substandard and is a clique filled with timid kittens led by Captain Milestone.

The 92 World Cup squad although some were past their best, they were battle-hardened, streetwise, experienced cricketers who still knew how to take their team to victory.

I fear the current lot rely on 2 or 3 players with the rest making up the numbers.

Ah Yes, I remember when there was similarities between 2019WC and 1992WC: In fact there is a whole article about it on basically the most popular cricket site (im just not sure I can mention it here though, but its easy to find, and those similarities between 2019 and 1992 found are verrrry similar).

In 1992 cricket balls were bowled. In 2023... :unsure:

1992: Two right-arm leg spinners - Mushtaq Ahmed & Iqbal Sikander.
2023: Two right-arm leg spinners - Shadab & Usama

1992: Totally useless medium pacer - Wasim Haider.
2023: Totally useless medium pacer - Mohammad Wasim

Identical Win/Loss Record in 25 ODIs before 1992 and 2023 World Cup.
Amazing coincidence!!!!

1696384699503.png

1992: Two right-arm leg spinners - Mushtaq Ahmed & Iqbal Sikander.
2023: Two right-arm leg spinners - Shadab & Usama

1992: Totally useless medium pacer - Wasim Haider.
2023: Totally useless medium pacer - Mohammad Wasim
looks like you dont watch cricket much.

Wasim bowls in 140s

I really like how posters describes the 1992 world cup winners as some macho man that were soo good.

Truth is, they lost 4 games on the trott and were about to be thrown out of the world cup. Yeh they won the world cup, but that does not mean the current team also cant win one.

Clutching at straws.

100% spot on

I really like how posters describes the 1992 world cup winners as some macho man that were soo good.

Truth is, they lost 4 games on the trott and were about to be thrown out of the world cup. Yeh they won the world cup, but that does not mean the current team also cant win one.

Here's the difference between 1992, 2017 and 2023.

1992 amd 2017 we did not have the best team in the tournament, but we had a good team.

In 2017 we had azhar and an inform fakhar. Azhar is far far superior to imam regardless of any hokus stats nonsense that people pull, In test azhar has played knocks like scoring a triple century something imam won't ever do.

Azhar kept pace with fakhar, he never let fakhar take pressure, he made sure that he atleast strikes at 90+ or gave strike back to fakhar, he sismt slow down for milestones or go on his merry way.

Hafeez, Malik, Haris sohail, sarfi, Imad waseem

^^ These lads weren't the best middle order but their a good middle order. Bowling wise our pace was being complimented by spin. Hasan was prime, Amir was prime and hafeez, haris sohail, Imad waseem and malik gave us plenty spin options, sheddy in 2017 was also better, he regressed now due to his allrounder drama nonsense.

Wasim akram, Muhstaq Ahmed, Aaqib javed, imran Khan, they were good bowlers. Our opening was doodoo in 1992 but inzi, Javed minadad, imran Khan, the middle order was covered.

As I said 2017 and 1992 we relied on mentality to win but the team itself may not be the best team of the tournament but it wasn't doodoo either. Looking at the teams and you wouldn't rule them out from winning.

2023 pakistan has a non existent bowling line up, completly dependant on shaheen miracles and Rauf middle overs magic. Spin is non existent with usama being an unknown factor atm.

Batting wise, opening is non existent, middle order with sheddy, agha, Nawaz is nill.

Our only hope is babar, Rizzu, Chacha, Saud, haris and shaheen and maybe imam somehow come good. Cause fakhar and Abdullah ain't doing jack.

Problem is these lads could come good if support was given. Sheddy, Nawaz, Waseem Jr etc, these players as seen against India in the first game where they scored 260, they don't compliment our best players, they undo their hard work 😂😂. Imran khan's bowling line up or sarfi's 2017 bowling line up would never let that happen.

Captaincy is also a big thing, Sarfi isn't a fluke player, he also won us psl + he won us the 2006 Under 19 world cup, he isn't exactly a one and done captain, he knows how to captain in tournaments same with imran.

Babar can't develop that winning mentality, ever irrespective of whether he's playing psl, Asia cup, champions trophy, world cup, t20 world cup, or simulation world cup on the ps5.

Our best players are being handicapped by our worst players, that wasn't the case in 2017 where our medicore players atleast compliment our best players and make sure to keep pace the best they can. On shezad was handicapping and they booted him out for fakhar so moot point.

1992 World Cup started with New Zealand beating the defending champions (Australia), 2023 started with New Zealand beating defending champions England.

This is the problem with some of you youngsters , don’t understand contexts and match winning performances you only look at stats.

Stats do not paint a true picture.

This is the problem with some of you youngsters , don’t understand contexts and match winning performances you only look at stats.

Stats do not paint a true picture.
Stats show consistency. The thing required to be a great team. Which Pakistan have never been

Otherwise on his day, even Wahab Riaz was better than Wasim Akram. But that day used to come once every 15 times he played. Would you have such a player in the team over Wasim Akram?

Stats show consistency. The thing required to be a great team. Which Pakistan have never been

Otherwise on his day, even Wahab Riaz was better than Wasim Akram. But that day used to come once every 15 times he played. Would you have such a player in the team over Wasim Akram?
according to stats Imam ul haq is better than Saeed Anwar , get my point ?

How did the captain Imran Khan perform in the opening match on the 1992 world Cup? I bet he did not score 5 runs off of 18 balls!

At 38/3 vs Netherlands, I think Pakistan's WC is over after 9.1 overs.

I used to believe this during the 2011 and 2015 WC editions. Not buying into it anymore. I am older and more realistic now.

according to stats Imam ul haq is better than Saeed Anwar , get my point ?
According to stats, Iman has the same average and lower strike rate than top players of his ERA

Saeed Anwar has higher average and higher strike rate than top players of his ERA

Aamir Sohail, Ramiz Raja and Moin Khan have pathetic numbers compared to top players of their ERA

Got my point

According to stats, Iman has the same average and lower strike rate than top players of his ERA

Saeed Anwar has higher average and higher strike rate than top players of his ERA

Aamir Sohail, Ramiz Raja and Moin Khan have pathetic numbers compared to top players of their ERA

Got my point
So you’ve not seen them play but you only look at numbers ? Let’s just agree to disagree, by the way I’m not saying the three players were world class just saying don’t judge purely on stats.

The Cornered Tigers were built different. IK, Inzi, Wasim, even then diminutive Rameez were mental titans.

No comparison!

The Cornered Tigers were built different. IK, Inzi, Wasim, even then diminutive Rameez were mental titans.

No comparison!
Not sure if Ramiz had good enough class to be mentioned with the likes of Imran Khan, Inzamam and Wasim Akram. His test average was 31 and ODI average was 32 with 11 centuries in nearly 250 matches.

Pakistan have to lose to Australia and Afghanistan to become properly cornered(tigers).

If they do, then road really opens for epic 7 game straight win comeback similar to 92.

All Pakistani supporters should pray for losses in two upcoming matches.

:sa

Back