Simon Taufel to step down from elite panel after T20 WC to take over new role

Shayan

ODI Debutant
Runs
ICC MEDIA RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Colombo, 26 September 2012

Simon Taufel to step down from elite panel after ICC World Twenty20 Sri Lanka 2012 to take over new role of ICC Umpire Performance and Training Manager​

“The new role includes working closely with the National Cricket Federations which is really exciting”

ICC Chief Executive David Richardson: “I am delighted that he will be working with us to groom and develop the next generation of elite umpires”

The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Wednesday announced that Simon Taufel will step down from the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Umpires at the end of the ICC World Twenty20 Sri Lanka 2012, which runs until 7 October, to take up the new role of ICC Umpire Performance and Training Manager.

The 41-year-old made his international debut in January 1999 in an ODI between Australia in Sri Lanka in Sydney and 23 months later he made his Test debut in the Boxing Day Test between Australia and the West Indies.

In an outstanding career, Simon Taufel umpired in 74 Tests and 174 ODIs with his last Test and ODI appearances being at Lord’s a month ago in matches featuring England and South Africa.

Simon Taufel won the ICC Umpire of the Year award for five successive years from 2004 to 2008 and also had the honour of umpiring in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 final between India and Sri Lanka at Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. He also stood in the finals of the ICC World Twenty20 2007 and 2009 in South Africa and England respectively, as well as in the final of the ICC Champions Trophy 2004 in England along with Rudi Koertzen.

Simon Taufel, announcing his decision, said: “Following the ICC World Twenty20 Sri Lanka 2012, I’m moving on from active international umpiring for personal and professional reasons. My wife and children have supported me immensely throughout my career and it is time for me to spend more time with them.

“My passion for cricket umpiring and personal professional development has shifted from on the field to off the field. In my new position as ICC Umpire Performance and Training Manager, I look forward to help create professional programmes and resources to support the current and future generations of cricket match officials.

“The new role includes working closely with the National Cricket Federations which is really exciting as is continuing to work with the entire cricket community in helping the development of our cricket umpires.”

Simon Taufel also thanked for the support he received during his illustrious career. “I’d particularly like to acknowledge and sincerely thank my family, all the umpires and referees that I’ve worked with, the NSWCU&SA (New South Wales Cricket Umpires and Scorers Association), Cricket Australia, the ICC staff, my coaches and friends for their support and sacrifice.

“What we have achieved together over a long period of time has been very rewarding and satisfying. It’s been a great journey, but the time is right to take a new path and I am fortunate to have been given the opportunity of assisting the next umpiring generation.

“Finally, my personal thanks and appreciation goes to all the players, coaches, scorers, support staff, media and administrators I have worked with, and who have contributed to many good moments and memories,” he added.

ICC Chief Executive David Richardson, paying tribute to Simon Taufel, said: “Simon has been one of the most respected umpires for over a decade due to his excellent decision-making and man-management skills.

“He has been a role model for umpires globally who look to him for inspiration and guidance. I am delighted that he will be working with us to groom and develop the next generation of elite umpires and have no doubt that he will be equally successful in his new role as ICC’s Umpire Performance and Training Manager.

“In the meantime I know that Simon, a thorough professional that he is, will want to focus on the job at hand, that of getting things right on the field, something he has done as well as any other umpire in the history of the game,” added Mr Richardson.

MEDIA RELEASE

26 September 2012

Cricket Australia congratulates Simon Taufel on an Outstanding Umpiring Career as Bruce Oxenford is elevated to the Elite Panel of ICC Umpires

Cricket Australia today paid tribute to umpire Simon Taufel as the International Cricket Council (ICC) confirmed he will step down from the ICC Elite Panel of Umpires.

The ICC has appointed another top Australian umpire, Bruce Oxenford, to replace Simon and he will now join fellow Australians Rod Tucker and Steve Davis on the 12-member ICC Elite Panel list, from 1 November.

Simon will continue in a new role as ICC Umpire Performance and Training Manager.

Cricket Australia Chief Executive Officer James Sutherland said: “Simon’s contribution to international umpiring has been immense. He won the ICC Umpire of the Year award for five years in a row from 2004 to 2008, which demonstrates his excellence and consistency as an international umpire. More than that, he has helped inspire the present generation of Australian umpires to develop their skills and to become the best officials they can be. His approach to physical and mental fitness has set the trend for leaner, fitter, and healthier umpires. It is pleasing to know that he will continue to be involved in the training and development of umpires. Simon still has much to offer the game.

“I’m delighted that Bruce Oxenford will take up the baton with the ICC Elite Panel - it is deserved recognition of his performances over recent years - and we at CA congratulate him on his appointment.”

Simon Taufel said: “Following the ICC World Twenty20 Sri Lanka 2012, I’m moving on from active international umpiring for personal and professional reasons. My wife and children have supported me immensely throughout my career and it is time for me to spend more time with them. I’d particularly like to acknowledge and sincerely thank my family, all the umpires and referees that I’ve worked with, the NSWCU&SA (New South Wales Cricket Umpires and Scorers Association), Cricket Australia, the ICC staff, my coaches and friends for their support and sacrifice.

“As ICC Umpire Performance and Training Manager, I look forward to help create professional programs and resources to support the current and future generations of cricket match officials. The new role includes working closely with the National Cricket Federations which is really exciting as is continuing to work with the entire cricket community in helping the development of our cricket umpires.”

Taufel has been at the forefront of DRS education for the past three years, and has worked closely with Cricket Australia to educate the next generation of umpires. The 41-year-old will manage educational programs that will deliver modern, innovative approaches to umpire coaching, education, and development. This includes collaboration with elite officials in other sports.

Simon Taufel Umpiring Biography
• Test debut Australia v West Indies at Melbourne, Dec 26-29, 2000

· Last Test England v South Africa at Lord's, Aug 16-20, 2012

· Test matches 74

· ODI debut Australia v Sri Lanka at Sydney, Jan 13, 1999

· Last ODI England v South Africa at Lord's, Sep 2, 2012

· ODI matches 174

· T20I debut Kenya v New Zealand at Durban, Sep 12, 2007

· Last T20I England v India at Colombo (RPS), Sep 23, 2012

· T20I matches 29

ICC Umpire of the Year 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Bruce Oxenford Umpiring Biography

Bruce has been an integral member of Cricket Australia’s National Umpire Panel for 11 years and has been Australia’s number-one-ranked domestic umpire for several seasons. Bruce was a first- class cricketer for Queensland before making the change to umpiring at the end of his playing career. Oxenford represented Queensland in eight first-class matches from 1991-1993 as a lower-order right-hand batsman and leg break and googly bowler. In his Queensland career, Oxenford took 18 wickets and scored 112 runs.

• Test debut Sri Lanka v West Indies at Pallekele, Dec 1-5, 2010

· Last Test Sri Lanka v England at Colombo (PSS), Apr 3-7, 2012

· Test matches 8

· ODI debut India v Sri Lanka at Canberra, Feb 12, 2008

· Last ODI Sri Lanka v India at Pallekele, Aug 4, 2012

· ODI matches 39

· T20I debut Australia v South Africa at Brisbane, Jan 9, 2006 scorecard

· Last T20I New Zealand v Pakistan at Pallekele, Sep 23, 2012 scorecard

· T20I matches 12

Taufel to retire after T20 world cup.

The Australian umpire Simon Taufel will step down from the ICC's elite panel at the end of the World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka. He will be replaced by his countryman Bruce Oxenford, who will join the elite panel from November 1, having impressed the ICC with his work at international level over the past few years.

Taufel, 41, will take up the newly-created role of umpire performance and training manager with the ICC, a job that he hopes will allow him to spend more time at home in Sydney with his wife and children after nearly a decade of travelling the world as a match official. Taufel was named the ICC's Umpire of the Year five successive times from 2004 to 2008 and has remained one of the game's most respected umpires throughout his career.

In 2011, he stood in the World Cup final and has also been in the middle for the deciders of the World Twenty20 in 2007 and 2009, as well as the Champions Trophy in 2004. However, Taufel also endured the horror of being part of the group of officials shot at during the terrorist attack in Pakistan in 2009.

"Following the ICC World Twenty20 Sri Lanka 2012, I'm moving on from active international umpiring for personal and professional reasons," Taufel said. "My wife and children have supported me immensely throughout my career and it is time for me to spend more time with them.

"My passion for cricket umpiring and personal professional development has shifted from on the field to off the field. In my new position as ICC umpire performance and training manager, I look forward to help create professional programmes and resources to support the current and future generations of cricket match officials. The new role includes working closely with the national cricket federations which is really exciting as is continuing to work with the entire cricket community in helping the development of our cricket umpires."

The ICC's chief executive, Dave Richardson, said: "Simon has been one of the most respected umpires for over a decade due to his excellent decision-making and man-management skills. He has been a role model for umpires globally who look to him for inspiration and guidance.

"I am delighted that he will be working with us to groom and develop the next generation of elite umpires and have no doubt that he will be equally successful in his new role as ICC's umpire performance and training manager. In the meantime I know that Simon, a thorough professional that he is, will want to focus on the job at hand, that of getting things right on the field, something he has done as well as any other umpire in the history of the game."

Taufel will leave the game having stood in 74 Test matches and 174 one-day internationals. He made his international debut at the age of 27 in a one-day international in Sydney in 1999 and his first Test appearance came in the Boxing Day Test of 2000, when he was 29.

A former leading schoolboy cricketer in Sydney, Taufel was a fast bowler who played in teams alongside Michael Slater and Adam Gilchrist. However, a back injury ended his playing career and he took to umpiring at a young age.

His replacement on the international panel, Oxenford, is a former first-class cricketer who played eight matches for Queensland in the early 1990s. Oxenford, 52, made his debut as an international umpires in a T20 match in early 2006 and over the past three years has regularly been appointed to tours outside Australia as part of the ICC's international panel.

"Bruce is a very experienced and respected umpire, and follows a long line of elite Australian umpires," Vince van der Bijl, the ICC's umpire and referee manager, said. "He has been umpiring at the first-class level for well over a decade and is committed and dedicated to officiating. We are delighted to welcome Bruce, who will add his own brand of professionalism, energy and love of umpiring to the elite panel."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/584040.html

Great umpire. Sad to see him go but at least he will not be lost and his talents can be used elsewhere!

One of the greatest and most respectable umpires of cricket. He raised the standards of umpiring and has become a role model for a lot of other current and upcoming umpires.

I wish him all the best for his future role and hope that he grooms many new umpires who will serve cricket as well as he did in the last 13 years!

Good to see Bruce Oxenford being elevated to the Eilte Umpires list. He's perhaps the best umpire around nowadays.

Sad to see Taufel go although I hope it's for the greater good. He was easily the best umpire during the early-mid noughties before Aleem Dar dismantled him :aleemdar

Good to see Bruce Oxenford being elevated to the Eilte Umpires list. He's perhaps the best umpire around nowadays.

Sad to see Taufel go although I hope it's for the greater good. He was easily the best umpire during the early-mid noughties before Aleem Dar dismantled him :aleemdar

Oxenford blatantly favoured the Aussies in the David Hussey runout controversy in Feb.

Kettleborough is way better.

Brilliant umpire and very well respected too amongst the cricketers.

Oxenford deserves the promotion to the elite panel. Looks a very competent umpire.

I think award of Dharmesena made him so disappointed that he decided to retire from Umpiring. I blame ICC.

He knew Pakistan would own Aussies in final :ajmal

he cost us the cup :(

jaatey jaatey Pakistan per ghussa nikal gya

Farewell Simon Taufel

Farewell Simon Taufel..

Thanks for your service and may there be many more like you!

Top Umpire!

simon_taufel_narrowweb__300x465,0.jpg

Good decision to retire. He was fading. Gave some shockers in the final. Still his overall career has been brilliant. One good umpire steps down. i hope an equally good if not better umpire steps up.

Even though his umpiring wasn´t ideal yesterday in the final of ICC World T20, but I would like to overlook as a human error and appreciate what he has done for cricket overall. Excellent umpire he was!

All the best dear Simon Taufel:19:!

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2096390

From magic Mohali to magnificent Mumbai: Simon Taufel’s view on final stages of 2011 CWC

The honour of officiating a Cricket World Cup Final is one few umpires ever get the chance to experience. In Simon Taufel’s eyes, he oversaw two in the space of four days in 2011.

The Australian was among the men in the middle for both India’s seismic semi-final clash against Pakistan and the actual final between India and Sri Lanka later that week.

The whole world seemingly descended on Mohali for the semi-final. Bollywood celebrities were in attendance. So too were the Prime Ministers of both nations.

“The semi-final in Mohali was certainly a wonderful occasion and in a lot of ways it was a final in itself,” Taufel told the ICC. “It seemed like the whole world was watching us, it seemed like the whole world had their private jets parked at Chandigarh Airport.”

It was only after the match, sitting outside the dressing rooms as the stadium lights were switched off, that the veteran official got the chance to breathe it all in.

And just as he had soaked in one magical night, he found himself jetting off the following morning for another unforgettable match in Mumbai.

As soon as the chartered plane touched down in Mumbai, the size of the occasion became clear. With days still remaining before the showpiece event, the roads from the airport to the city were jam-packed and the streets were a hive of energy.

“Already the city of Mumbai was in celebration mode in anticipation of what I would call a second final of the 2011 Cricket World Cup,” the five-time ICC Umpire of the Year said.

By the time Taufel and fellow umpire Aleem Dar walked out to the middle on game day, the atmosphere had reached fever pitch.

“You look at the full house of the crowd and the noise that is going on, and I remember turning to Aleem and said ‘good luck hearing anything tonight and may all of your outside edges be loud ones’.”

Jayawardene shines with unbeaten ton in World Cup final | #CWC11Rewind
Like an opening partnership, Taufel says the relationship between two on-field umpires is key to success.

“We really just try to stay as tight and as close together and really build upon that trusting relationship that we have got, that we are going to do this together.”

Taufel and Dar took the enormity of the occasion in their stride, handling the match ball-by-ball, over-by-over.

“For me it was about keeping it simple and on the back of that semi-final trying to replicate what I did there, which was focus on what I had to do,” Taufel said.

“Focus on how I could help my umpiring colleague Aleem Dar, my role within the team, how we could focus on a bit of team success. Keep things as simple as possible and let everyone else worry about what the other two teams were going to do.

“It is about really desensitizing myself away from the spectacle and the event and not worry too much about who is doing what and what milestones might be being created by various people.”
Dhoni secures World Cup glory with captain’s knock | #CWC11Rewind
There was a whirlwind of emotions in the stadium when MS Dhoni hit that six to wrap up the match. Elation among India’s players and staff. Euphoria for the home crowd. Despair for the Sri Lankans.

For the umpires, it was sweet relief.

“I remember the ball being hit out of the park and in some ways you think 'thank god that is over and we’ve got through the event relatively unscathed'.

“While other people are celebrating or other people are consoling each other, for us umpires it is all about the sense of relief that we have actually gotten through it.

“Nothing significant or major has happened to be a talking point or a distracting issue from an umpiring team perspective and that is a great thing and we can just walk in the room and just relax now.”

Former ICC Elite Panel Umpire Simon Taufel has come up with an online accreditation course in the hope to reduce the gaps in umpires' training and development. The course will be offering three levels of accreditation -- introductory, Level 1, and Level 2. Taufel has created the programme together with the ICC Cricket Academy based in Dubai. What is remarkable is that Taufel has overseen the course material himself and he now hopes that the standard of umpiring will go up.

In a conversation with NDTV, Taufel opened up on how he thought about starting this course, and he shed light on the details of the new accreditation-based programme.

"I would like new and existing umpires to have better resources than when I started. I'd like to help bridge the gap between the resourcing need of the umpires and the growing challenges of officiating cricket. If we can increase the capabilities and enjoyment of our umpires, then the game will be better off," Taufel told NDTV.

"We have put a lot of resources into the program so that people can work through the videos and explanatory notes before attempting the competency-based exercises. The candidate can work through the course at their own pace and even attempt the modules over and over again until they understand what is required. I'm very confident that even the most experienced umpire will learn a new skill or technique," he added.

When asked about the different levels of this course, Taufel said: "Introduction (designed for people new to umpiring – Mums, Dads, school teachers, etc) – this course should take around 4 hours to complete (excluding the MCC Laws e-learning component which is dependent upon the existing knowledge of the person). You can do one module at a time and in any order but you cannot do the assessment task until all modules have been viewed."

"Level 1 (designed for experienced premier cricket umpires who might have about a year of officiating club matches and/or those who have completed the introductory course) – this course should take around 8 hours to complete (excluding the MCC Laws e-learning component which is dependent upon the existing knowledge of the person). Once the MCC Laws (intermediate level) has been completed, there is no Laws component in Level 2. Level 2 – this course is still under construction and unlike the first two courses, the majority of it will be face-to-face learning and assessment," he added.

Taufel, who had been a premier umpire back in his time, also said that studying just the laws of cricket is not enough to be a good umpire as practical knowledge is of utmost importance. The 51-year-old also spoke about how the course material for this course was made.

"It is not all my own work here. I've researched and consulted with many trusted colleagues and umpire trainers. The difference with this course to others are based on a few things. Firstly, the resources and competencies are heavily focused around the art of umpiring (the soft skills – preparation, technique, managing people and the match, and self-development), with less reliance on just the Law knowledge to get you through. There is a massive difference in video content with tips based on years of experience to pass on to the umpires doing the course," said Taufel.

"It's a very narrow way to view umpiring ability or capabilities. Yes, an umpire needs to know the Laws and how to apply them. Yes, they need to make good decisions, but when you look at the best umpires in the world and the make-up of the ICC Elite Panel, you see more than that. You see people who can manage conflict, handle pressure, create trusting relationships with players, earn respect through performance, have solid fieldcraft technique, possess the mental strength to recover quickly after mistakes, and prepare for most of the variables the game can throw at you," he added.

Lastly, when asked whether DRS has helped in reducing the number of howlers in the game, Taufel said: "What I would like to point out is that technology shows how often the umpires get it right (more than 93% of the time) and even with DRS, that number does not exceed 98 per cent, so technology and people are never 100 per cent accurate."

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/sim...s-to-increase-capabilities-of-umpires-2992509

Back