Sir Richard Hadlee ATG Thread [undergoes surgery for cancer, Update Post #22]

Haroon786

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Outstanding test stats- 431 wickets in 86 matches, with a SR of 51 and an average of 22.

Last edited:
I think few similar threads already exist . merge or delete .

Nope, I dont think so, anyway deserves far more recogintion on this forum.

Thanks for letting me know Sir Richard Hadlee is an ATG. :facepalm:

Probably the best bowler from the ANGLO-AUS-NZ axis.

Personally I think the only.contender or two are Trueman and Lilee, Robert could you ela orate on Lindwall please?

I agree, Mcgrath and Hadlee were almost same type of bowlers, but hadlee edges out because he was more destructive. Lindwall was great but his strike rate over 55 keeps him out of contention for top spot.

I agree, Mcgrath and Hadlee were almost same type of bowlers, but hadlee edges out because he was more destructive. Lindwall was great but his strike rate over 55 keeps him out of contention for top spot.

Trueman then probably.

You have to compare them with who was around at the same time. Some people consider him better than Trueman - the Englishman's strike rate was a lot better, but he didn't travel well, while Ray put in big performances in England, WI and SA, IIRC.

You have to compare them with who was around at the same time. Some people consider him better than Trueman - the Englishman's strike rate was a lot better, but he didn't travel well, while Ray put in big performances in England, WI and SA, IIRC.

Hadlee was better than most of his contemporaries barring a couple of Windies, Lilee and Imran potentially.

Thread needs a bump
Malcolm>Hadlee/Imran>Garner/Holding in the 80s.

MaGrath was better than haddle.

Haddle was lethal on seaming wickets no doubt , but other than That , MaGrath has edge.

One curious thing about Sir Richard was that he didn't start to perform at a consistently high level until he was 29 or 30.

He suffered a nervous breakdown in 1982 and worked with a psychologist to recover. He cut his run-up down and got more accurate. He was deeply into goal-setting and self-hypnosis. He would have a goal for every game - runs scored and wickets taken, depending on conditions. A lot of people thought he was a bit autistic because he was so single-minded. He carried a card around in his kit bag with a list of self-affirmations on it, and read them while he was changing into his whites.

If only the far more inately talented Botham could have been a bit more like him in terms of preparation....

One curious thing about Sir Richard was that he didn't start to perform at a consistently high level until he was 29 or 30.

He suffered a nervous breakdown in 1982 and worked with a psychologist to recover. He cut his run-up down and got more accurate. He was deeply into goal-setting and self-hypnosis. He would have a goal for every game - runs scored and wickets taken, depending on conditions. A lot of people thought he was a bit autistic because he was so single-minded. He carried a card around in his kit bag with a list of self-affirmations on it, and read them while he was changing into his whites.

If only the far more inately talented Botham could have been a bit more like him in terms of preparation....

Wow didn't know about the nervous breakdown. He seems like a meticulous kinda person who was far ahead of his times. But many do not rate him as high as Lillee,Marshall,Imran etc. because he wasn't as aggressive as they were. Is it true?

Wow didn't know about the nervous breakdown. He seems like a meticulous kinda person who was far ahead of his times. But many do not rate him as high as Lillee,Marshall,Imran etc. because he wasn't as aggressive as they were. Is it true?

He was aggressive with bat and ball, but there was a suggestion that his bottle could go under fire. I saw this in 1986, when Botham returned from a two-test ban with a point to prove, coming in against Hadlee armed with the second new ball. As Botham hit him to all parts, the world #1 started bowling line and length with all nine fielders on the boundary.

Didn't happen often, though. Usually he ruled. Imran reckoned that he was the best green-wicket bowler in history but he was good on any surface in all conditions. Operating at a sharp FM, he swung and cut it both ways, and had a nasty and well disguised quicker ball aimed at the throat.

He was aggressive with bat and ball, but there was a suggestion that his bottle could go under fire. I saw this in 1986, when Botham returned from a two-test ban with a point to prove, coming in against Hadlee armed with the second new ball. As Botham hit him to all parts, the world #1 started bowling line and length with all nine fielders on the boundary.

Didn't happen often, though. Usually he ruled. Imran reckoned that he was the best green-wicket bowler in history but he was good on any surface in all conditions. Operating at a sharp FM, he swung and cut it both ways, and had a nasty and well disguised quicker ball aimed at the throat.

It is always good to have the opinion of someone who has watched a cricketer play. Thank you for your input.

Sad news but thankfully he seems to be recovering now:

Below from NZC:

Last month, Richard had a routine, 3-year colonoscopy, and we discovered that he has bowel cancer.

“He has since had an operation to remove the tumour. This operation went extremely well and he has made an excellent recovery from surgery.

“As a safeguard, further treatment in the form of chemotherapy will commence shortly and last for a few months.

“It is expected that, in time, he will have a full recovery.

“Our reasons for making this statement are a desire to be transparent, and to prevent the inevitable speculation and incorrect rumours.

“I would also request people's understanding and acceptance of our request for privacy while we go through the next few months, both for ourselves and for the extended Hadlee family.”

Ome of the greatest fast bowlers ever. Arguably the greatest.

Get well soon Sir Hadlee.

Bhaijaan.

Hope he makes a full recovery. New Zealand's finest without a doubt and a proper gentleman. Not at all arrogant or full of himself like his Aussie neighbours are. Would like to see him play a more active par in NZ Cricket after he gets better.

Get well soon Sir. One of the best bowlers to have every played the game. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Sir Richard Hadlee

Please find below a media statement issued on behalf of Lady Dianne Hadlee:

"This week, Richard will undergo further surgery after secondary cancer was discovered in his liver.

"Medical advice is that it's still at a very early stage and is operable.

"Once he has recovered from the operation, Richard will undergo further chemotherapy treatment.

"As with the first statement released on this matter, we disclose these details solely in the interests of transparency, and to avoid speculation and gossip.

“We would again ask that people respect our request for privacy.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Back