SL vs India | WT20 Practice Match | 17/03/14 | Pre Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiri

T20I Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Confirmed by Russel Arnold.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The 2 practice matches to be played tomorrow will be televised NZ vs Pak and SL vs Ind</p>— Russel Arnold (@RusselArnold69) <a href="https://twitter.com/RusselArnold69/statuses/445157013295595520">March 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will be a fascinating one. For SL, this is all about getting their top order sorted out. Who do they go with and in what order?

Ideally..

Dilshan
Mahela
Kusal
Sanga

Last edited:
Dilshan and Mahela should open, Kusal at 3 and Sanga at 4? It's a warm up so it doesn't hurt to try things.

Dilshan and Mahela should open, Kusal at 3 and Sanga at 4? It's a warm up so it doesn't hurt to try things.

Either way, the reality is that one person is going to have to make way from their original position in the top 3 when it comes to the top 10 games.

That is a very destructive top order either way you look at it. Plus with Mathews, Perera, Kulasekera to come, I'm finding SL's one the most destructive

Kiri, who would you prefer to see opening? It could go either way with Kusal, Dilshan and Mahela, you could even play Dilshan as a finisher :msd

Dilshan has always been the type of player that needs a start to get going. He's at his best when opening and I believe he will be key.

I want Dilshan and Mahela to open because Mahela averages 40+ in ODIs while opening. In the last T20WC, Dilshan Munaweera was a flop when he opened in the first few games for SL. So Mahela was captain back then and decided to open himself. It worked and then went on to score match winning knocks and averaged 50+ and was the top scorer when SL choked during the final.

Mahela
Dilshan
Kusal can play at 3. He's just as useful at 3 to give us a fast start, plus, he has Sanga to rely on
Sanga (no need to talk about him)

For finishing, we have Mathews, Perera, Kulasekera and Senanayake who can all hit the ball long and hard as well as bat long.

So both games will be televised? Awesome!

I'm actually hoping Dilly will be ruled out. He's badly out of form. Age has definitely caught up with him. Just throws his bat at every thing and if you bowl one full and straight he's a goner. Mahela and Kusal opening would be great. With Thiri at 3 and Sanga at 4.

Dilshan has always been the type of player that needs a start to get going. He's at his best when opening and I believe he will be key.

I want Dilshan and Mahela to open because Mahela averages 40+ in ODIs while opening. In the last T20WC, Dilshan Munaweera was a flop when he opened in the first few games for SL. So Mahela was captain back then and decided to open himself. It worked and then went on to score match winning knocks and averaged 50+ and was the top scorer when SL choked during the final.

Mahela
Dilshan
Kusal can play at 3. He's just as useful at 3 to give us a fast start, plus, he has Sanga to rely on
Sanga (no need to talk about him)

For finishing, we have Mathews, Perera, Kulasekera and Senanayake who can all hit the ball long and hard as well as bat long.

Thats what happens when all of a sudden these guys face quality bowlers like Steyn, I remember Dilshan Munaweera looking retarded when facing Steyn. Angelo Perera looks like a nervous lad, horrible start so far. T.Dilshan's strike rate has decrease recently, it will take him more time to open up. Kusal just goes beserk from the beginning and I want him to open with Mahela so even if Kusal pops the ball in the air the fielders would take much more time to get to the ball. due to fielding restriction.

Warm up game vs Ind
Kusal
Mahela
Dilshan
Sanga
Chandimal
Mathews
T.Perera
Kulasekara(Should stay away from death overs)(would like to see lakmal but oh well)
Senanayake(probably be rested since Herath is back from the injury)
Mendis
Malinga(most likely will be rested for Lakmal)

Last edited:
Thats what happens when all of a sudden these guys face quality bowlers like Steyn, I remember Dilshan Munaweera looking retarded when facing Steyn. Angelo Perera looks like a nervous lad, horrible start so far. T.Dilshan's strike rate has decrease recently, it will take him more time to open up. Kusal just goes beserk from the beginning and I want him to open with Mahela so even if Kusal pops the ball in the air the fielders would take much more time to get to the ball. due to fielding restriction.

Warm up game vs Ind
Kusal
Mahela
Dilshan
Sanga
Chandimal
Mathews
T.Perera
Kulasekara(Should stay away from death overs)(would like to see lakmal but oh well)
Senanayake(probably be rested for Herath)
Mendis
Malinga(most likely will be rested for Lakmal)

To be honest, if Dilshan can't open, he shouldn't be in the team. We have too much talent that are more deserving of that spot

Let's see how Chandi goes in the warm-ups. I'm not one for hoping for players to fail but to give ourselves any chance of winning this thing Chandi has to go. Decent cap'n but the guy is absolutely hopeless in SC conditions. When he was dropped for the business end of the Asia cup we looked a much better team. Same should happen here imo unfortunately.

I'm actually hoping Dilly will be ruled out. He's badly out of form. Age has definitely caught up with him. Just throws his bat at every thing and if you bowl one full and straight he's a goner. Mahela and Kusal opening would be great. With Thiri at 3 and Sanga at 4.

I want Chandimal to be injured lol. Kule is very expensive in T20s. Esp in these conditions he would get clobbered. Want Lakmal and Thirimanne instead of Dilshan and Kule.

Let's see how Chandi goes in the warm-ups. I'm not one for hoping for players to fail but to give ourselves any chance of winning this thing Chandi has to go. Decent cap'n but the guy is absolutely hopeless in SC conditions. When he was dropped for the business end of the Asia cup we looked a much better team. Same should happen here imo unfortunately.

Yo dude. This is T20. Before Chandi, opposition would have to get through

Dilshan
Kusal
Mahela
Sangakarra
Mathews (if foundation is set).

In T20, they're completely different beasts.

To be honest, if Dilshan can't open, he shouldn't be in the team. We have too much talent that are more deserving of that spot

I have a feeling Chandimal will have hard time choosing the best line up, as usual Mahela and Sanga will do that job for him.

I want Chandimal to be injured lol. Kule is very expensive in T20s. Esp in these conditions he would get clobbered. Want Lakmal and Thirimanne instead of Dilshan and Kule.

I was against Thiri in T20s but tough to leave him out now. He has to bat 1-3 tho.

Dilshan
Kusal
Mahela
Sangakarra

Still rather have someone like S.Prasanna who could and bowl or 3mane who could at least score even if he eats balls. Chandimal is the only batsmen to eat balls and get out looking retarded lol.

Dilshan
Kusal
Mahela
Sangakarra

If we are serious about going all the way we can't afford to carry players. Chandi is useless in T20s and in the SC. So a double whammy! Put Chandi in there and the whole team chemistry changes for the worse.

I was against Thiri in T20s but tough to leave him out now. He has to bat 1-3 tho.

I always had hope for this guy. This guy was a very stable batsmen from earlier, only thing he was doing wrong was playing odd shots like dilscoop and reverse sweep that looked awkward and getting out. Chandimal on the other hand was just bashing down time to time and sometimes his helmet would come down and cover his eyes when he plays some shots. Unbelievable lol. Im not a chandimal hater, i just dont like him in our limited overs side. Chandimal can get outsmarted, Thirimanne appears to be a bit more intelligent guy. Thirimanne was an A+ student who missed his exams to be a substitute. This shows his passion. Im not sure how Chandimal was in terms of academia lol.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind seeing something like this

Mahela
Kusal
Thiri
Sanga
Mathews
Kula
S Prasanna
Perera
Menda
Herath
Malinga

I always had hope for this guy. This guy was a very stable batsmen from earlier, only thing he was doing wrong was playing odd shots like dilscoop and reverse sweep that looked awkward and getting out. Chandimal on the other hand was just bashing down time to time and sometimes his helmet would come down and cover his eyes when he plays some shots. Unbelievable lol. Im not a chandimal hater, i just dont like him in our limited overs side. Chandimal can get outsmarted, Thirimanne appears to be a bit more intelligent guy. Thirimanne was an A+ student who missed his exams to be a substitute. This shows his passion. Im not sure how Chandimal was in terms of academia lol.

Thiri and Chandi were both decent before Marvan screwed them up the way I see it. After Thiri's injury and being away from Marvan he's gone back to his usual self. Chandi take note! :))

Anyway these practice matches will decide if Raina and Rahane will get a game. It will also determine the faster bowlers I guess. Hope Varun gets a game and does will tomorrow.

Chandimal will never be dropped since he is the captain lol

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. We'll be basically playing with 10 if he plays. Playing Priyanjan at 4 or 5 in all the warmups wont be a bad idea just to see what he brings to the table. Should rest Mahela and Sanga for the warmups.

Anyway these practice matches will decide if Raina and Rahane will get a game. It will also determine the faster bowlers I guess. Hope Varun gets a game and does will tomorrow.

Varun looks like a s guy that comes and just bowls fast, SL players will have no issue with him. They'll struggle vs Ashwin and Jadeja mark my word

So the rest are just playing tuk tuk? Good to know SL won't give away any wides or no balls.

We need to hit rock bottom before we silently and unexpectedly rise back to revive the streak!

Is he sexy too?

lagaan_guran.jpg

TBH, winning warm up games may be secretly bad as you peak too early

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. We'll be basically playing with 10 if he plays. Playing Priyanjan at 4 or 5 in all the warmups wont be a bad idea just to see what he brings to the table. Should rest Mahela and Sanga for the warmups.

There is no priyanjan in the squad lol, C.De Silva has been withdrawn since Herath is fit.

There is no priyanjan in the squad lol, C.De Silva has been withdrawn since Herath is fit.

Dang! Then play Chandi at 1,2,3,4 and 5 and see if he can make at least 20 runs in those 5 innings :))

Yawns. I cant even stand India SL games that count and some people even want to discuss practice games :))

Kusal to pop the ball in the air

NVM, sick catch by Shami though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back