Sohaib Maqsood should be groomed as the next Pakistan captain

Ahson8

ODI Debutant
Runs
With Misbah nearly 40 years old, it's time to groom someone for captain. Mohammad Hafeez is 30+ and will be a short-term option. Besides his struggles outside Asia is knownhttp://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=195715 to all.

Guys like Asad Shafiq and Azhar Ali are way too inconsistent while Umar Akmal and Shehzad are not mature enough to lead a side yet IMO.

The best option IMO is Maqsood. He is 26, so he can be a long term option. He has captaincy experience with the Multan Tigers and he has performed very well in his 10 ODIs and 9 T20Is despite a lot of games against SA which is a very strong opposition. I think he should be playing all 3 formats. Batting at 4 in LOI's and at 6 in tests and should be allowed to captain games against weaker opponents like Zimbabwe & Bangladesh.

Thoughts ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a bad idea, he's a way better option than Umar Amin, who isn't fit to captain an under-15s side. He's educated, can speak English, knows what he's doing, and as you said, has captaincy experience. His age is ideal for the job too, sack Hafeez as VC and instead give him the job.

Last edited:
If he would have been playing test cricket and has earned his spot, he would be an automatic choice for captaincy, but he has not played a single test match and has not earned his spot yet.

On the other hand, Ahmad Shehzad has cemented his place in all formats and has been consistent with performance and has smart cricket brain and very young, so logical choice should be Ahmad Shehzad.

Newcomer? Check
Performing? Check
Speak English? Check

Make him captain.

Give him the year. Don't want another Jamshed scenario

If he still doing well in that time name him VC after the World Cup

If he would have been playing test cricket and has earned his spot, he would be an automatic choice for captaincy, but he has not played a single test match and has not earned his spot yet.

On the other hand, Ahmad Shehzad has cemented his place in all formats and has been consistent with performance and has smart cricket brain and very young, so logical choice should be Ahmad Shehzad.

Shehzad is a bit too young to be captain ATM in my opinion. I think he will be captain in the future but I don't want to burden him with captaincy or vice captaincy at such a young age.
Maqsood has captaincy experience and I feel if required (eg: Misbah gets injured), he can take the captaincy even now.

Shehzad is a bit too young to be captain ATM in my opinion. I think he will be captain in the future but I don't want to burden him with captaincy or vice captaincy at such a young age.
Maqsood has captaincy experience and I feel if required (eg: Misbah gets injured), he can take the captaincy even now.

In Pakistan cricket, the captain has to earn the respect from the teammates, respect means, player has to perform and put some numbers on board. If you set the trend of making captain to a player without big numbers, team will become a mess. We are still paying the price of Malik's captaincy.

We need a player as a captain who has consistent in all formats and Shehzad is the only candidate who fit into the criteria. What I like about Shehzad, he stepped up on the plate and showed confidence and has no BS attitude, which we required in Pakistan cricket.

Pakistan has done hilarious things with its captaincy historically. Salmaan Butt was dropped for two years, comes back as captain. Misbah Ul Haq disappears for four, comes back made VC, Butt banned, he is now captain. For all I know they recall Amin and make him captain.

I have made the same case for Maqsood awhile back, Thread got deleted by the Mods:sarfraz:zardari

Out of all the youngster maqsood seems the most assured and down to earth type of person

Last edited:
I have a wild, wild feeling that Kamran Akmal is going to be the next captain after misbah. You heard it here first.

Oh my.
He has just started.
Let's just let him play for now...

Maqsood needs to use 2014 to further cement his position in the side, hopefully get a few hundreds in the one dayers and then be considered. At present he has had a decent start to his international career so needs to establish himself in the team. His t20 average after 9 games is only 17! So captaincy pressure is the last thing he needs and is fans need for him.

If he keeps performing this well until the 2015 WC, then yes, we could start grooming him as captain after Misbah retires. He needs to stop playing rash shots before he can be considered for Tests.

By the way, for LOIs, Hafeez would do just fine as captain. But for the long-term, Maqsood is a good option.

In my opinion,its too early.Wait till he cements his place in the team and becomes mature enough for the long term Captaincy.

Needs to average 38+ three years in a row first.

Azhar Ali is coming up to that 3 year mark and if he can keep up this pace can become new skipper.

I always believe that he can be next skipper because he looks like a sensible person.

A bit early to be talking of Sohaib as the next captain. Let him settle into international cricket, but absolutely no doubt he has the qualities that are needed.

He's at NBP though, may struggle to get the captaincy there.

Azhar Ali in ODI (are you kidden me)? Test is okay though.

He has taught himself how to score at a higher SR.

He was an average of 41 in ODI. He will get games in ODI this year to prove himself for WC2015.

So he will be well established by the time Misbah retires.

He has taught himself how to score at a higher SR.

He was an average of 41 in ODI. He will get games in ODI this year to prove himself for WC2015.

So he will be well established by the time Misbah retires.

Not a LOI material.
He can just do a holding job which is not required as long as Misbah is there.

Too early ..typical desi mentality oh he speaks good English make him captain . My vote would be Ahmad Shehzad especially if he keeps performing the way he is just now

ha
He praises misbah and the carpet is rolled out for him

Maqsood is not in the same league as umar akmal or azhar ali

The hate for Hafeez here is unhealthy. He just scored 3 tons in 5 matches and still doesn't cut it. 9 in last 3 years, which is third only to Kohli and Amla.

He has 4 years left in him and is a very good captain. I will make him successor of Misbah.

The hate for Hafeez here is unhealthy. He just scored 3 tons in 5 matches and still doesn't cut it. 9 in last 3 years, which is third only to Kohli and Amla.

He has 4 years left in him and is a very good captain. I will make him successor of Misbah.

he is not a test class batsman yes you can sayl et him bat lower down but there is no evidence off it wether he will do well in the middle order a captain should lead from the front anf he can't do at test level.

he is not a test class batsman yes you can sayl et him bat lower down but there is no evidence off it wether he will do well in the middle order a captain should lead from the front anf he can't do at test level.

Not talking about Tests.

Tbh I am not sure who can take over from Misbah in Test cricket.

hafeez for LOIs after misbah retires ........as simple as that...

test cricket let younis be the captain and groom a young captain under him (whoever).. obvious choice would be shehzad, azhar ali, maqsood will come to the test squad soon... maqsood needs to score more centuries in ODIs first...

Not talking about Tests.

Tbh I am not sure who can take over from Misbah in Test cricket.

What a predicament

By default, misbah wins the royal rumble for a 4th consecutive year

Last edited:
Potential... yes, but lets not get all teenage girl on him and make him the next captain.

Let him establish himself in the team first, and give captaincy to someone else who is a regular.

Calm down...

Let's see how he does in the Asia Cup and T20.

Let the guy cement his postion yet, I admit he is the most personally exciting talent who look's to be the most mature of the younger lot, but we must remember that we don't know whether he will be a gun player or be mediocre in the future so it's best to hope he turn's out to be a gun player and not jump the gun.

Superb Captaincy from Sohaib Maqsood today.

Really Impressed.

The way he promoted future Pakistan allrounder Mohammad Irfan Khan Afridi shows that he has the eye aswell.

Well done and well played Multan.

please delete this thread [MENTION=133760]Abdullah719[/MENTION] :p

Salman Butt, Kamran Akmal, Abdul Razzaq, Imran Nazir, Muhammad Asif, Umar Akmal, Umar Amin, Ahmed Shehzad, Sohaib Maqsood.......... Seriously what's wrong with us? Matlab yehi players bache hain puri zindagi?

No. I think I made a similar thread wrt Sohaib Maqsood. He was good in those days.

he's played 26 ODIs and has an average of 31 - how good could he have been?

Or were you referring to his average of 13 in T20s?

Superb Captaincy from Sohaib Maqsood today.

Really Impressed.

The way he promoted future Pakistan allrounder Mohammad Irfan Khan Afridi shows that he has the eye aswell.

Well done and well played Multan.

Was it live? can you please share?

With Misbah nearly 40 years old, it's time to groom someone for captain. Mohammad Hafeez is 30+ and will be a short-term option. Besides his struggles outside Asia is knownhttp://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=195715 to all.

Guys like Asad Shafiq and Azhar Ali are way too inconsistent while Umar Akmal and Shehzad are not mature enough to lead a side yet IMO.

The best option IMO is Maqsood. He is 26, so he can be a long term option. He has captaincy experience with the Multan Tigers and he has performed very well in his 10 ODIs and 9 T20Is despite a lot of games against SA which is a very strong opposition. I think he should be playing all 3 formats. Batting at 4 in LOI's and at 6 in tests and should be allowed to captain games against weaker opponents like Zimbabwe & Bangladesh.

Thoughts ?

He will be the next captain IA

Cutting edge analysis and amazing foresight mA. :)))

May not be as Captain, but he should return in LO side for sure - can't do worse than Imam, MoHa, Mian, Asif & Sarfraz. Sarfraz might have a major alibi (WKeeping), but other 4 has absolutely to selling pitch against Maqsood & Umar; Hafeez, Malik doesn't bowl either these days.

he's played 26 ODIs and has an average of 31 - how good could he have been?

Or were you referring to his average of 13 in T20s?

Not every player is a finished product at debut. Not even in first 18-24 months after debut. International exposure is mostly a litmus test but also a stepping stone to further develop your game. Saeed Anwar was a failure in his first stint.Sachin, for example, scored his first ODI ton after some 70 matches.

In domestics, we don't have professional management but Leech Mafias who look after their personal interests. As a collateral damage, they have been destroying careers of good young players, infrequently favouring TTF who invariably suit the agenda of Leech Mafia.

The cycle continues and young players never get their 'step-up' opportunity. Devoid of 'step-ups', these youngs eventually fail to develop their cricket and remain stunted. By the age of 30, they lose their aspirations and hopes to represent PCT. That's the time when they 'give up' and surrender to Leech Mafia. That's when they become regulars in major domestic matches. Muhammad Sami, Hammad Azam, Umar Amin have gone through this cycle.

It is no coincidence that era of strongest PCT (late 80s till 1999) was built on a background of county cricket where young budding cricketers luckily escaped these leeches of Pak Domestic Cricket and stepped up through county cricket. Wasim, Waqar, Inzamam were literally handpicked by Imran who then pushed them into county cricket. Even Mushtaq Ahmed also.

In 2018, we have Sauds, Saads, Ahsan, Badars batting at #7/8/9, because they have not yet surrendered. Otherwise they would be batting at #3-5. And Asghars, Gohars and Ghulams warming the benches.

Umar Akmal, Sohaib Maqsood are in grey zone for surrendering. It doesn't mean they didn't have the talent. They had it but never really got opportunities to step up.

May not be as Captain, but he should return in LO side for sure - can't do worse than Imam, MoHa, Mian, Asif & Sarfraz. Sarfraz might have a major alibi (WKeeping), but other 4 has absolutely to selling pitch against Maqsood & Umar; Hafeez, Malik doesn't bowl either these days.
Cmon man, first you advocate the return of Umar Akmal, and now Maqsood? The two most over-rated junk with no improvement in their games since they got dropped. We replace Imam with someone better or untested. We replace Sarfraz with someone better or untested. Why replace garbage with garbage?

Unlike Umar, Maqsood has major technical deficiencies and even if I were to look past them, he has one of the most terrible on-field attitudes I have seen from a cricketer. Looks extremely disinterested and doesn't give two hoots about fielding.

He looked good in those early innings in 2013/14 but has been terrible since

Very heartening to see him performing and giving chances to youngsters.This PSl should be that one where he should reannounce himslef.

Cmon man, first you advocate the return of Umar Akmal, and now Maqsood? The two most over-rated junk with no improvement in their games since they got dropped. We replace Imam with someone better or untested. We replace Sarfraz with someone better or untested. Why replace garbage with garbage?

Amin as well - trust me. I do have my favorites, but have you ever seen me short of words to explain why, or you could neglect my essays? We can agree/disagree, but I don't think I am writting here out of my rabbit hat.

I don't know about their off field issues (definitely a concern if true), but as of today, if you ask me for the SAF ODI, this'll be my squad of 15

3. Openers: 1. FZ, 2. Babar, 3. Amin
4. Middle orders: 5. Umar, 4. Maqsood, 3. Saud, 6. Malik
2. All-rounders: 7. Shadab, 8. Fahim
1. WK: 6. Rizwan (but not certain to start, if Umar can keep :) )
1. Spinner: 8. Gohar/Raja (Don't know who is better now, but one SLAO spinner has to bein squad)
4. Pacers: 9. Amir, 10. Hasan, 10. Afridi, 11. Abbas
16th man: Hafeez:)

AMIR leads, while FZ his deputy. Abbas is for a short term - if with white balls, he is remotely close to what he is with red one, indeed can win couple of WC games alone in opening spell.

And, unless something dramatic happens (either way), I am happy to take same squad to WC (of 15- 16th spot was mentioned to get under skin :) ). If 16th player is allowed, I don't mind MoHa, as a senior head for the squad, or take an extra pacer/all-rounder for 9 confirmed games in like 29 days - may be Yamin.

Have seen a bit of cricket bro - your current middle order won't win you more than 3 games in WC - mathematically PAK'll need to win at least 4 to make the SF. Have to pick some players who can play pace and who can clear boundary effortlessly, when 4/5 men in patrolling line - this UAE model spin bashing is almost choking even against AFGs at UAE........................

I am not any agent of Umar, Maqsood, Amin, Amir - just an honest fan, who is risking here lots of trolling in future, but had to write this.

Last edited:
Amin as well - trust me. I do have my favorites, but have you ever seen me short of words to explain why, or you could neglect my essays? We can agree/disagree, but I don't think I am writting here out of my rabbit hat.

I don't know about their off field issues (definitely a concern if true), but as of today, if you ask me for the SAF ODI, this'll be my squad of 15

3. Openers: 1. FZ, 2. Babar, 3. Amin
4. Middle orders: 5. Umar, 4. Maqsood, 3. Saud, 6. Malik
2. All-rounders: 7. Shadab, 8. Fahim
1. WK: 6. Rizwan (but not certain to start, if Umar can keep :) )
1. Spinner: 8. Gohar/Raja (Don't know who is better now, but one SLAO spinner has to bein squad)
4. Pacers: 9. Amir, 10. Hasan, 10. Afridi, 11. Abbas
16th man: Hafeez:)

AMIR leads, while FZ his deputy. Abbas is for a short term - if with white balls, he is remotely close to what he is with red one, indeed can win couple of WC games alone in opening spell.

And, unless something dramatic happens (either way), I am happy to take same squad to WC (of 15- 16th spot was mentioned to get under skin :) ). If 16th player is allowed, I don't mind MoHa, as a senior head for the squad, or take an extra pacer/all-rounder for 9 confirmed games in like 29 days - may be Yamin.

Have seen a bit of cricket bro - your current middle order won't win you more than 3 games in WC - mathematically PAK'll need to win at least 4 to make the SF. Have to pick some players who can play pace and who can clear boundary effortlessly, when 4/5 men in patrolling line - this UAE model spin bashing is almost choking even against AFGs at UAE........................

I am not any agent of Umar, Maqsood, Amin, Amir - just an honest fan, who is risking here lots of trolling in future, but had to write this.
That is probably one of the most optimistic XI I have seen on here, and trust me we have all seen a few cuckoo line-ups posted here. Amin, Akmal and Maqsood are all epic failures, with massive issues in either technique, temperament or attitude. Maqsood's fielding is terrible, and his ability to loft routine deliveries into the air for no reason was frustrating to say the least. Akmal has psychological issues and needs to see a psychiatrist ASAP to sort out his career. Add to that, the guy actually regressed beyond measure since his debut, you can safely say he should never be given another opportunity to represent the country he has zero respect for. Amin is just mentally too meek to ever be successful in international cricket. These three might win you one game out of ten, but they are not worth the drama or the other issues.

Also Saud hasn't even played international cricket yet. Rizwan is a TTF, who people have fallen in love with because of Sarfraz's poor returns recently. About three months back, Rizwan wasn't even the first name on anyone's mind as a wicket-keeper. His recent form has been smashing good though, so he deserves a chance but don't expect anything substantial from him. Gohar is over-hyped without having done much, while I'm struggling to remember anyone named Raja...

All in all, I really hope I never get to see this team play for Pakistan. Also Amir as captain, cmon the guy has been mediocre recently and has just come back into the team under questionable circumstances.

Massively underachieved.

Such a clean striker of the ball, but got out to poor shots so often.

But never say never in Pakistan cricket.

He was an attractive player. I always felt he would succeed in test cricket but he never got a chance. Him and Umar Amin should make it to the test eleven. I am pretty sure they cant do worse than Hafeez and Asad.

Back