South Africa (124/7) beat West Indies (135/8) by 3 wickets via the DLS method to book semi-final spot

Tabraiz Shamsi (South Africa player) post-match Press Conference - 23rd June 2024

[Reporter:]

You seem to have been making a habit of close games this T20 World Cup. Can you describe the emotion and how you were feeling towards the end of that game?

[Tabraiz Shamsi:]

Yeah look, obviously most of the games have been a lot closer than we would have personally liked, but the amazing thing is that this new Proteas team always seems to get over the line. We've been put under huge pressure basically in every single game that we've played and the boys have managed to find a way to win no matter what the situation is, no matter how close the game is. So that's really pleasing for us as a unit, and it's sort of like in a funny way we're looking forward to it.

As a fellow member of the spinners' union, Aiden Markram decided to sort of roll the dice a little bit and bowl himself in the second over and take that crucial wicket of Nicholas Puran. What was going through your mind when you kind of saw him take that responsibility and how good is it to have a captain like that take the responsibility on his shoulders and have everyone sort of jump on his back in that case?

Yeah, I actually always think he under bowls himself whenever he's captain he bowls less because he is a wonderful bowler. I think he's a lot better than a part-timer so it was nice as a captain he saw that there was something in it for him and he ran with it and he bowled all four overs. So that's the one thing that's nice about our unit, if you look at the squad, there isn't any individual that you can pick and say like, hey, this guy is responsible for making this team win. There's no pressure on any one individual. We just have a lot of match winners within the squad and on each day, someone finds a way to pull the game towards the team. So, I think that's what's making the guys play without any pressure because we all know we have the ability to win the games but there's no pressure on any individual to actually do it otherwise we're in trouble. So yeah, it was really nice to see Aiden doing what he did today. When you see another spinner taking wickets, it gives you confidence as well to know that when it's your turn, there'll be something in it for you.

Just to lead in on that, giving yourself a little bit more time a little bit later in the innings to kind of work your way into it how does it make it much easier for you?

Look it's a double-edged sword right - the previous game I bowled later in the innings and I went for 50 and there was certain critics coming out from the woodworks speaking about pressure and how I can't handle pressure and so to speak - I think in a quarterfinal match I hope that was enough pressure for me to respond to. But yeah, I think it doesn't really matter where I'm asked to bowl, whether it's early on in the innings or at the back end. There's a specific job that I've got to do. And we've all played enough cricket to understand that sometimes it will work, on other days it wouldn't, and somebody else will cover for you, and vice versa. That's the mentality that we have within the squad. Whoever's day it is needs to take extra load and cover up for someone that's maybe not having a good game and that's perfectly normal, that's cricket.

How were you approaching things tonight? Were there times that you were trying to tempt them, you were getting some lovely flight, and it seemed like you were dangling the carrot, basically. Was that a big part of your plan?

Yeah, look, fortunately I've been able to play CPL for the last five or six years. And one thing with the West Indian boys, you don't have to guess what their intent is going to be. So, it sort of helps you formulate a plan or expect what you're going to be coming up against and then it's just about trying to utilize the different variations you have and when to bowl it to which batter. So yeah, everything sort of goes into slow motion when you're out there in the middle you don't hear the crowd or anything - it's just about doing the job for the team in the moment. At times the captain would ask me to strike or at times he just asked me to bowl a tight over - so just about trying to do that as best as I could.

And how important in the context of it was Heinrich Klaasen that that one over when he was batting?

Yeah, key. As you can see the game got to the end but we know that's what Klaasen can do. He can turn the game on its head at any moment and in this specific game one big over like that could help us get over the line so as I alluded to earlier there's no pressure on anyone to do anything in this team. We know what each of us is capable of doing and each guy is able to win the game single-handedly - so I think that frees up all the guys in that moment Klassen sort of brought the game so much in our favour that even though we had a little bit of a slide towards the end - we had enough in the in the bank there.

And you just you mentioned critics is that it sounds like it's something you've paid attention to, has it stung a little bit - the criticism.

it's just a little bit ridiculous when it's ex-players - when they're on the field they did the same things now we're trying our best so what that's part of the game right we got to go out there and do our job. And as cricketers we know sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Whatever the guys speak about behind the scenes in our change room, that's all that matters. And look, you got to turn up and try your best the next day maybe I might go for 50 again in the next game maybe I might be man of the match again nobody knows.

Rovman Powell (West Indies Captain) post-match Press Conference - 23rd June 2024

Not the result obviously that the team was hoping for. Would you like to point anything to where there could have been a deficiency or deficiencies in the team's performance?

[Rovman Powell:]

I think when you look on the larger picture is that is a disappointing World Cup - we wanted to win just like any other team, but we weren't able to win tonight. I think as a team we played some good cricket. We play good cricket in patches and tonight was a night was a night where our batters were 15-20 run short and a difficult wicket.

There's a feeling that the game plan was to go hard at the South African bowling with possible rain coming. Was that part of the plan to attack the ball in anticipation that it would rain?

The rain wasn't a factor in how we play. The inclement weather isn't something we can control, especially when you're batting first. So, our plan was to be aggressive because we know the first six overs is always important in T20 cricket. We tried to transfer the pressure as a batting group, but tonight it just didn't work.

What do you think was the reason for the display from maybe the top six batsmen? Was it nerves? Was it a little bit anxiety? Caution to the wind?

So, I think I think it's just a case of the wicket not being an easy wicket to bat on to be honest it needed a little bit more grit a little bit more determination that was sure if you should look on the how both teams bat on it even South Africa kind of struggled to get the 136 runs that we made in a side. It wasn't the easiest off surface but as players we have to adapt and come up with solutions.

At 15 to for two South Africa chasing and the rains came that sort of maybe dampened the momentum?

Yeah, those things happen. As you say, we can't control the inclement weather, but at 15-2 when we came off with the rain, the guys believed, and that is what is important.

Can you describe the emotion that was there before the game started? There was such a big build-up and a beautiful performance and the packed crowd here. Was that difficult to deal with, that emotion at the start?

No, to be honest, the emotion was levelled. Levelled in the sense where the guys left the hotel wanting to play for the people of the Caribbean, wanting to win. We just weren't successful tonight and it's sports. It's a game of cricket and those things do happen.

How difficult was it out there when you were fielding after that rain? You looked like desperately trying to dry that ball. Was that making things particularly difficult for the spinners, I guess, especially when Klaasen and Conor went after you?

Yeah, we knew it was always going to be a little bit difficult with a wet ball especially for us with three spinners but having said that I think the guys bowling group have to be commended only 130 on the board and I think they really fought for us.

Yeah, did you, they pulled right back, you thought you thought obviously that you had a chance to go particularly when they lost that last wicket, did you think you still had it then?

Yeah, I think even down to the last we thought we were in for a shot, we just were a little off in every time we're trying to prevent a boundary, they get a boundary - they get boundaries at critical stage of the game and that will always hurt us as a team.

And just I guess a word on the atmosphere tonight and David Rudder asked the crowd to rally and they really did try and rally for you. What did that mean to you?

Yeah, it means a lot it means a lot it means a lot for cricket to be to be buzzing again in the Caribbean is a very good feeling. When we turned up to all the venues, we started in Guyana and it was fantastic. And then we moved to Trinidad with a sold-out crowd. We went to St. Lucia, which was beautiful also. And then we went to Barbados in a solo crowd again and come into Antigua to see so much people around the Caribbean rallying around us giving us a buzz is very, very important and it goes to show how important cricket is in the region in unifying the Caribbean islands.

The beauty of the T20 World Cup format is that you've got just two years until the next one. I know you don't want to reflect too much on maybe tonight, but maybe looking ahead going forward what do you kind of take from the positives from this tournament for two years’ time?

I think not just not just this tournament but the cricket that we have played over the last 12 months. To take 12 months to move from number nine in the world to number three in the ICC ranking is an absolutely amazing jump. It's for us as a team to continue working. It's for us as a team to stay still close, close-knitted and it's for us as a team to just keep on building. As you say, 24 months’ time, we have another shot at the World Cup. Hopefully guys here can continue playing and doing well in international cricket and franchise cricket. And when that time comes, we'll have the same core of players trying to win a World Cup for the Caribbean.

That's actually across all three formats really, because there's been test success in one day cricket as well, and now looking at 20-20 cricket. But for Rovman Powell, what's the goal? What do you individually do to kind of keep helping West Indies move forward the way they seem to be?

I think it's always a case for me as a captain to continue to motivate guys to play for West Indies. The driving force of franchise cricket and the money that comes with franchise cricket make it always difficult to West Indies. In a small board to feel their best team. But I think it's been good so far for the last year or two. Hopefully guys can always and will mainly choose to play for West Indies. There's a buzz around the region now in playing for West Indies so hopefully that continues, hopefully we continue on the right path.

And what do you say to the Caribbean public who would have been a little bit disappointed with the West Indies not going all the way? What words of assurance can you give to the Caribbean public at this time?

We are disappointed - We as players are disappointed because we think we had the personnel within our room to actually win a home World Cup. But having said that we have played good cricket, we have entertained them in patches, and it's just for them to keep on supporting us. How important the support is in whatever you do. So, I would implore them to just keep on working with us, keep on supporting us over the last 12 months or so we have played fantastic cricket. It's maybe one of the first time a West Indies team is ranked number 3 in T20 in the world and that must say something.

Just looking back and taking the Super 8 into context, how much that defeat to England would have hurt the team's chances of progressing to the semis.

I think the defeat against England was very disappointing for us as players but also it was a wake-up call it was a wake-up call because we were playing consistently good cricket so it showed us that hey on in T20 cricket anything is possible. But looking back now in hindsight we can say that two points against England was very important because we see how the group come down but having said that each and every game in the Super 8s we know it was going to be tough. We know each and every game in the Super 8 was always important.

Respect to Markram, he only bowled 2 overs of Rabada and that too as his 6th or 7th change on this track.

Guy clearly doesn’t care about the names. He wants to get the job done.

Had this been apna bobsy, I’m sure Rabada (or his big name bowler) would have bowled the first over and all 4 overs of his quota. Massive difference in the way to approach the game as a leader
Makram is a gun captain and had proven himself to be leagues greater then bavuma ever was. He's the best captain SA has had in a long time whike babar is objectively the worst captain Pakistan had ever had.

Only way you can go lower is by appointing rizzu as his successor?

It's not really a fair comparison to compare makram to Babar. Better comparison would be to compare Makram to someone like Marsh or Butler and I gotta hand it to Makram, He's been the best captain of the tournament by far.

Who would have thought lol

Markram reminds me of young Graeme Smith. Great captain.

I think it is fair to say South Africa have finally found a successor to Graeme Smith.

Markram reminds me of young Graeme Smith. Great captain.

I think it is fair to say South Africa have finally found a successor to Graeme Smith.
Still, people hate him coz of the performance.
But still, he performed too good as a captain.

Back