South Africa announce their 15-member squad for the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
White-ball head coach Rob Walter has today announced the 15-member squad for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 to be played in the USA and West Indies from 01 - 29 June.

Aiden Markram will lead the side in what will be his first World Cup assignment since being named T20 International (T20I) captain.

The squad includes two uncapped T20I players - DP World Lions batter Ryan Rickelton and Hollywoodbets Dolphins fast bowler Ottniel Baartman.

Rickelton finished as the leading run-scorer of the second edition of the Betway SA20 with 530 runs at an average of 58.88 for MI Cape Town, while Baartman took 18 wickets in eight matches for defending champions Sunrisers Eastern Cape and is currently with Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Delhi Capitals.

The team will also benefit from the expertise of batters Quinton de Kock, Reeza Hendricks, Heinrich Klaasen, David Miller and the promising Tristan Stubbs.

Leading the pace attack will be Kagiso Rabada and Anrich Nortje supported by Marco Jansen and Gerald Coetzee.

Other notable selections include three front-line spinners in CSA T20 Challenge winning captain Bjorn Fortuin, Keshav Maharaj and Tabraiz Shamsi.

Pace pair Nandre Burger and Lungi Ngidi have been named as the travelling reserves.

"Firstly, I want to congratulate all the players that have made the cut," coach Rob Walter said.

"Selecting this group was extremely tough considering the amount of T20 cricket that has been played recently and the form that has been on show. I want to congratulate the two uncapped players, Ryan and Ottniel, on their selection.

"We have seen some incredible performances from our players in 2024 and that made my job very tough indeed. I am nonetheless proud and confident that we have named the strongest possible squad that no doubt has every chance of success in the West Indies and USA.”

Walter has also named a provisional squad for the preceding three-match T20I series against West Indies. This group will change and have players added to it when management is aware of IPL player availability.

The provisional squad will assemble for a week-long camp from 13 - 17 May at the Centre of Excellence in Pretoria, with the final squad set to be announced prior to their departure on 18 May.

Walter added: "Our preparations for the tournament will start with a three-match T20I series against West Indies. For this tour we will unfortunately be without most of the players who are currently involved in the IPL.

"But it does provide an opportunity for others, especially those who excelled in the CSA T20 Challenge. A captain for the group will be finalised closer to the time.”

South Africa squad - ICC Men’s T20 World Cup West Indies and USA 2024

Aiden Markram (captain, Momentum Multiply Titans), Ottniel Baartman (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Gerald Coetzee (Momentum Multiply Titans), Quinton de Kock (Momentum Multiply Titans), Bjorn Fortuin (DP World Lions), Reeza Hendricks (DP World Lions), Marco Jansen (Dafabet Warriors), Heinrich Klaasen (Momentum Multiply Titans), Keshav Maharaj (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), David Miller (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Anrich Nortje (Dafabet Warriors), Kagiso Rabada (DP World Lions) Ryan Rickelton (DP World Lions), Tabraiz Shamsi (Momentum Multiply Titans) and Tristan Stubbs (Dafabet Warriors).

Travelling Reserves

Nandre Burger (World Sports Betting Western Province) and Lungi Ngidi (Momentum Multiply Titans)

Management

Rob Walter (Head Coach), Khomotso Volvo Masubelele (Team Manager), Jean-Paul Duminy (Batting Coach), Eric Simons (Bowling Coach), Wandile Gwavu (Fielding Coach), Thomas Dawson-Squibb (Performance Coach), Runeshan Moodley (Strength and Conditioning Coach), Matthew Reuben (Performance Analyst), Sizwe Hadebe (Physiotherapist), Dr Konrad von Hagen (Team Doctor), Kyle Botha (Logistics and Masseur) and Lucy Davey (Media Manager).

CSA​

This team looks like a real threat. Packed with pace, power and decent spin options from top to bottom

This team looks like a real threat. Packed with pace, power and decent spin options from top to bottom
Their fast bowlers are getting smashed in IPL atm. No sure if they will be back to their best by the world cup ( They certainly can). Their batting apart from de kock, Klassen, miller and stubbs also looks quite shaky.

Their fast bowlers are getting smashed in IPL atm. No sure if they will be back to their best by the world cup ( They certainly can). Their batting apart from de kock, Klassen, miller and stubbs also looks quite shaky.
Can't compare IPL pitches with international ones. There's no impact rule in international's too

IPL is not a good measure especially this year they have changed it to Stick Cricket or WWE.

This is a powerful team on paper.

IPL is not a good measure especially this year they have changed it to Stick Cricket or WWE.

This is a powerful team on paper.
Team maybe a good one on paper, YES. But IPL can shatter their confidence as well. Never have they been smashed like this in their career. First time is always hard.

No Wiaan Mulder and they picked Fortuin? Typical South Africa

This team won't have batting depth. Batting will end at #6 with Jansen at #7. Will cost them once again

No Wiaan Mulder and they picked Fortuin? Typical South Africa

This team won't have batting depth. Batting will end at #6 with Jansen at #7. Will cost them once again
Ever since JP Duminy has retired they have struggled to find a proper batter who can bowl good overs as well.

The Proteas are edging closer to a trophy as the influence of bottlers like Amla, de Villiers, Steyn, Morkel, Duminy etc. has started to wear off.

Their new crop of players seem to have a lot more steel. It won’t be a shock if they get over the line this time. They have the firepower and the quality but will need some luck in key moments.

At this time I feel Nortje is just there on reputation. Nandre Burger is currently the better bowler.

Ever since JP Duminy has retired they have struggled to find a proper batter who can bowl good overs as well.
Markram can do the JP role. But they need an allrounder like Wiaan to balance this squad. Not a spinner like Fortuin. Jansen is the only allrounder in this squad and they can't afford that.

My SA XI which sticks two fingers to the quota rule!

1. DeQock
2. RVD
3. Klaasen
4. Markram
5. Stubbs
6. Miller
7. Jansen
8. Fortuin
9. Maharaj/ Shamsi
10. Coetzee
11. Rabada

Scary looking team, that top 6 can go toe to toe with anyone
Bowling wise they're looking strong too, Rabada has had his ups and downs as of late but still has plenty of class, Nortje will deliver thunderbolts, plus the jansen and coetzee skyscrapers
Only thing that will hold them back is the choker gene

Not selecting Rilee Rossouw but selecting Reeza Hendricks is pretty dumb though.

Not selecting Rilee Rossouw but selecting Reeza Hendricks is pretty dumb though.
He’s a quota pick. They have to have one coloured player in the batting to somehow get a couple of decent white bowlers to play

Not a single good bowler in the squad. Kagiso rabada is not a good t20i bowler and nortje is not that good as well shamsi might be able to bowl decently on those pitches but I m pretty sure they won't win the tournament.q

When was the last time Rilee performed anywhere ?
I don't remember when was the last time that he played but do recall him hitting a century for South Africa at the last T20 World Cup. His numbers in T20Is are quite impressive so I'm surprised that they've moved on.

I don't remember when was the last time that he played but do recall him hitting a century for South Africa at the last T20 World Cup. His numbers in T20Is are quite impressive so I'm surprised that they've moved on.

Struggled in SA20, struggled in IPL, struggled in PSL.

Not the greatest record in T20Is after that World Cup either.

Reeza has been in good form for SA. Last 13 T20I's, he has averaged 48 and struck at 150 odd

Struggled in SA20, struggled in IPL, struggled in PSL.

Not the greatest record in T20Is after that World Cup either.

Reeza has been in good form for SA. Last 13 T20I's, he has averaged 48 and struck at 150 odd
Fair enough. Point taken.

Dumb to leave Van Der Dussen out who has easily been their best LOI batter in last few years.
A soft team which will eventually capitulate again despite looking like the strongest.

To drop a player like Van Der Dussen is the greatest blunder by SA board ever.

Really strong fast bowling line up. So/so in the spin department though -- Luckily for us, it's spin that will probably trouble the batters most in the Americas

Definitely semi finalists. Such as well round squad. Tremendous fielders as well.

Former South African cricketer and current white-ball coach of the South African team, Rob Walter, remarked that there were several yardsticks, such as recent performances, previous ones, and those prior to last year, along with the framework of the squad. He told during an interview with local South African media:

“There are various criteria. Performances this year, performances over the last year, historical performances further back than that, the make-up of squads, the potential conditions that we are going to have to balance. And then, there’s the good old-fashioned coach’s gut feeling.”

“I trust the quality of the players. Anrich has another month before the World Cup starts. have no doubt that he will hit his straps. It’s good to see that his speed is up, along with playing time and training. He’ll start to get his feel [of the game] back, no doubt. And with Marco [Jansen], the same. We are in touch with these guys continuously, ensuring that they are putting in the work."

This time they are looking well balanced!

and without lord bavuma they have become more threatning! lol

Why did RvD not get selected?? I'm out of touch with SA cricket, but surely he deserved it?

Why did RvD not get selected?? I'm out of touch with SA cricket, but surely he deserved it?
They have to pick 7-8 black players no matter what. RVD one of the less destructive white players, and isn’t an X factor bowler

SA can only pick 7-8 proper cricketers, and have to hope they get it right with the other 8.

They have to pick 7-8 black players no matter what. RVD one of the less destructive white players, and isn’t an X factor bowler

SA can only pick 7-8 proper cricketers, and have to hope they get it right with the other 8.
I didn't know the quota was this strict. This is damaging to their cricket. Is there a SA batsman who is black that is better than RvD? He may not be crazily destructive but he is no pushover accumulator unlike some on our team. He has the ability to slog but most of all he's consistent and keeps the RR at a good pace. An ideal #3 he is. What would it take to make this quota less strict

I didn't know the quota was this strict. This is damaging to their cricket. Is there a SA batsman who is black that is better than RvD? He may not be crazily destructive but he is no pushover accumulator unlike some on our team. He has the ability to slog but most of all he's consistent and keeps the RR at a good pace. An ideal #3 he is. What would it take to make this quota less strict
Yeah SA type countries usually have this natak.

Also not really no, for some reason white batsmen in SA are just miles superior to black bats. (Not being racist, just speaking the truth).

Idkw this is the case tbh considering they all are equally representative in Their own board and get equal opportunities

Yeah SA type countries usually have this natak.

Also not really no, for some reason white batsmen in SA are just miles superior to black bats. (Not being racist, just speaking the truth).

Idkw this is the case tbh considering they all are equally representative in Their own board and get equal opportunities
It's not a matter of being racist indeed, it's just the fact. Historically, the greatest SA cricketers, both batsmen and bowlers, have been white. It may be because the whites are just more into the game in the country. I don't know their situation over there, but the whites are clearly more talented overall.

It's not a matter of being racist indeed, it's just the fact. Historically, the greatest SA cricketers, both batsmen and bowlers, have been white. It may be because the whites are just more into the game in the country. I don't know their situation over there, but the whites are clearly more talented overall.
Bro the thing about SA is that their trying to be an equal white/ black country atleast in terms of representation.

And because white SA cricketers are so much better they think an All white 11 would send a bad message to their own country.

Their not really producing any jofra archer's or chris gayle's sadly.

Don't think Rassie has missed out because of the quota. The South African middle order is already locked - it will be Markram, Klaasen, Miller and Stubbs, with Jansen being the all rounder. De Kock is also a lock as one of the openers. Hendricks hasn't done much wrong in international T20s though his recent franchise T20 record isn't great.

Rickleton is the guy who has been chosen over Rassie. Between them it's really a toss up - they opened together in SA T20 and while both averaged roughly the same, Rickleton went at a higher strike rate.

Teams aren't really playing more than one accumulator in the team and that makes it hard for Rassie to get in. De Kock and Markram are more than capable of playing that role and they are surefire starters in the XI.

Rassie has been in the team for a good few years. SA dropped him from the squad a t the crucial moment, but I guess this rickleton guy has had a good outing in the domestics so he found his way above Rassie.

'Only 1 African Player Being Selected in SA's T20 WC Squad Not Fair Representation': CSA Slammed for Unfair Representation​

Cricket South Africa (CSA) has been criticised for failing to meet “transformational targets” with only one black African in Kagiso Rabada part of the T20 World Cup squad.

The 15-man provisional squad includes six players of colour including Rabada.

Over the course of a season, six players of colour are required to be in the South Africa playing eleven including two from the black African community. With Rabada being the only black African in the squad, the national team is set to miss its target.

The other players of colour include Reeza Hendricks, Bjorn Fortuin, Keshav Maharaj, Tabraiz Shamsi and Ottniel Baartman.

Former South Africa Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula questioned the make-up of the squad.

“Only 1 African player selected in the Proteas Team for the upcoming T20 World Cup 2024 Team. Definitely a reserval (reversal) of the gains of transformation and doesn’t reflect fair representation of all South Africans in the national cricket tea,” Mbalula wrote on X.

On SABC Sport, former CSA and ICC president Ray Mali said the game is heading backwards in the country.

“I believe a lot has been achieved, but I believe we have gone backwards in terms of cricket – we have taken a step backwards instead of going forward,” said Mali.

“I cannot understand why we can’t have a (larger) number of black players in the South African cricket team at this day and age – no, it’s not acceptable.

“We have betrayed the people who asked us to negotiate unity for this country. Players are mentored or monitored right from their early days up to the top, so you know which players will represent South Africa.”

At the moment, CSA doesn’t have a committee of selectors and the team is picked by head coaches Shukri Conrad (Tests) and Rob Walter (white-ball cricket).

Walter defended the 15-men picked for the ICC event in Americans next month, saying the domestic circuit did not have enough depth to pick a more diverse unit.

Lungi Ngidi, also a black African, is one of the travelling reserves but doesn’t feature in the main squad.

Source: News18

'Only 1 African Player Being Selected in SA's T20 WC Squad Not Fair Representation': CSA Slammed for Unfair Representation​

Cricket South Africa (CSA) has been criticised for failing to meet “transformational targets” with only one black African in Kagiso Rabada part of the T20 World Cup squad.

Over the course of a season, six players of colour are required to be in the South Africa playing eleven including two from the black African community. With Rabada being the only black African in the squad, the national team is set to miss its target.

The other players of colour include Reeza Hendricks, Bjorn Fortuin, Keshav Maharaj, Tabraiz Shamsi and Ottniel Baartman.

Former South Africa Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula questioned the make-up of the squad.

“Only 1 African player selected in the Proteas Team for the upcoming T20 World Cup 2024 Team. Definitely a reserval (reversal) of the gains of transformation and doesn’t reflect fair representation of all South Africans in the national cricket tea,” Mbalula wrote on X.

On SABC Sport, former CSA and ICC president Ray Mali said the game is heading backwards in the country.

“I believe a lot has been achieved, but I believe we have gone backwards in terms of cricket – we have taken a step backwards instead of going forward,” said Mali.

“I cannot understand why we can’t have a (larger) number of black players in the South African cricket team at this day and age – no, it’s not acceptable.

“We have betrayed the people who asked us to negotiate unity for this country. Players are mentored or monitored right from their early days up to the top, so you know which players will represent South Africa.”

At the moment, CSA doesn’t have a committee of selectors and the team is picked by head coaches Shukri Conrad (Tests) and Rob Walter (white-ball cricket).

Walter defended the 15-men picked for the ICC event in Americans next month, saying the domestic circuit did not have enough depth to pick a more diverse unit.

Lungi Ngidi, also a black African, is one of the travelling reserves but doesn’t feature in the main squad.

Did the former sports minister and former president ensured there was a proper infrastructure, pathway and opportunities for African kids so they can go on and compete with other non African kids? Doesn't this mean that former executives have failed in their job?

They will get smashed if they strictly apply transformation targets.

Their best players, especially batsmen, are all white as evidenced by the SA20.

SA needs to find young black batsman and that requires proper systems which they haven't developed. The private schools that have played such a pivotal role in the transformation of rugby have shown relatively little interest in cricket.

Cricket-South Africa's power hitters need bowlers to back them up​

South Africa’s power hitters make a compelling case for why they can emerge winners of the T20 World Cup in the United States and West Indies, but whether they have the bowlers to back it up is the big question heading into the June 1-29 tournament.

The country’s woes at World Cups, be it the 50-over or shortest format, are well documented and so the expectations back home have been tempered, with supporters scarred by past failures.

Within the team there is confidence they can claim a maiden crown, albeit the conditions in New York, where they play their first three group games, are unknown. They take on Sri Lanka, Netherlands and Bangladesh in the Big Apple before travelling to Kingstown to face Nepal.

"We know we can play in pressure situations in big games. The players will lean on each under pressure and hopefully (win the tournament)," South Africa coach Rob Walter said.

In captain Aidan Markram, Heinrich Klaasen, David Miller, Quinton de Kock and in-form Tristian Stubbs, they have some of the biggest hitters in the game.

Those are likely to form the top six along with opener Reeza Hendricks and few teams in the competition can boast as impressive a selection of batters able to clear the boundary.

But posting a total is one thing, defending it is another and there will be question marks about their bowling attack.

Lungi Ngidi is only on the reserve list, with the fast bowling options being Kagiso Rabada, Gerald Coetzee, all-rounder Marco Jansen, the inexperienced Ottniel Baartman and Anrich Nortje, who was expensive in this year’s Indian Premier League (IPL) after a long injury layoff.

Clearly expecting slow conditions, South Africa have three frontline spinners in Keshav Maharaj, Tabraiz Shamsi and Bjorn Fortuin, with Markram as a handy fourth option.

"There is experience and youth, and the guys who have been chosen from a youth point of view have performed very well this year in T20 cricket," Walter said.

One name not included was that of experienced batter Faf du Plessis, 39, who played his last T20 International in 2020, but had been considered after good domestic and IPL form.

"I spoke to Faf over a year ago about the possibility of playing in the (T20) World Cup. He was absolutely considered, but he was not the only top player who missed out. We couldn’t fit everyone in unfortunately," Walter said.

Reuters

Last edited:
South Africa player David Miller has been handed an official reprimand for breaching Level 1 of the ICC Code of Conduct during a Super Eights Group 2 match of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 against England at the Daren Sammy National Cricket Stadium in St Lucia on Friday

Miller was found to have breached Article 2.8 of the ICC Code of Conduct for Players and Player Support Personnel, which relates to “showing dissent at an Umpire’s decision during an International Match.”
In addition to this, one demerit point has been added to Miller’s disciplinary record, for whom it was the first offence in a 24-month period.

The incident occurred in the 19th over of South Africa’s innings. Miller played a full toss from Sam Curran and expected it to be called a ‘no ball’ for height. When it was not declared a ‘no ball’, he showed dissent at the umpire’s decision by signaling to review the decision when it could not have been reviewed.

Miller admitted the offence and accepted the sanction proposed by Jeff Crowe of the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Match Referees, so there was no need for a formal hearing.

On-field umpires Chris Brown and Sharfuddoula Ibne Shahid, third umpire Joel Wilson and fourth umpire Chris Gaffaney levelled the charge.

Level 1 breaches carry a minimum penalty of an official reprimand, a maximum penalty of 50 per cent of a player’s match fee, and one or two demerit points.

SA needs to find young black batsman and that requires proper systems which they haven't developed. The private schools that have played such a pivotal role in the transformation of rugby have shown relatively little interest in cricket.
Private schools in South Africa are very elitist and white dominated. They are akin to an Aitchison from Pakistan. A place where the rich and affluent send their kids, and where those kids get all the facilities they need to to become successful members of society, whether its in an avenue like sports or science. Even though apartheid ended years ago, the disparity between whites and blacks is still massive. Black players coming from improvised socio-economic backgrounds simply donot have the same access to schools and facilites that whites do.

Private schools in South Africa are very elitist and white dominated. They are akin to an Aitchison from Pakistan. A place where the rich and affluent send their kids, and where those kids get all the facilities they need to to become successful members of society, whether its in an avenue like sports or science. Even though apartheid ended years ago, the disparity between whites and blacks is still massive. Black players coming from improvised socio-economic backgrounds simply donot have the same access to schools and facilites that whites do.
True but the problem will remain. Schooling is more than just facilities( but facilities make a difference), schools and societies that pass values are much more successful in all spheres. There is a black elite emerging but it's emerging mostly on corruption. That isn't going to end well for anyone

True but the problem will remain. Schooling is more than just facilities( but facilities make a difference), schools and societies that pass values are much more successful in all spheres. There is a black elite emerging but it's emerging mostly on corruption. That isn't going to end well for anyone
It's going to be a major cultural clash. And the whites who are still closet racists will try their best to gatekeep/hold onto their institutions. But at the end of the day, they are just a rich minority that no longer have the same political power they had decades ago.

I guess things like this are bound to happen when you keep the majority of a country's population at a social/political/economic disadvantage for centuries while stealing all their land and natural resources. South Africa's growth as a nation has been retarded by its dark history and you can't exactly reverse centuries of exploitation by shaking hands and saying that we're not racist anymore.

It's going to be a major cultural clash. And the whites who are still closet racists will try their best to gatekeep/hold onto their institutions. But at the end of the day, they are just a rich minority that no longer have the same political power they had decades ago.

I guess things like this are bound to happen when you keep the majority of a country's population at a social/political/economic disadvantage for centuries while stealing all their land and natural resources. South Africa's growth as a nation has been retarded by its dark history and you can't exactly reverse centuries of exploitation by shaking hands and saying that we're not racist anymore.
If all the Whites left tomorrow, the black population will get poorer. Countries that develop, develop their human capital and the black elite hasnt.
When the Inds were deported from Uganda in the early 70s, they suffered but they took their brain power, skills and entrepreneurship with them to the UK and became powerful business people And dominate the Middle Class Professions, and Where is Uganda today? The more recent example is Zimbabwe and look at what has become of it today. There are only 30,000 Whites that remain, so based on your theory the black guys should be living in the land of milk and honey. Without the Whites SA will unfortunately become a total basket case.

South Africa came alive in the early hours of this morning as all eyes were fixed on Trinidad and Tobago for the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024 semi-final showdown between the Proteas and Afghanistan.

To date, the Proteas had lost seven previous World Cup semi-finals across both 20-over and 50-over cricket formats, but they hoped to change that, as they aimed for victory.

South Africa, under the leadership of Proteas Men’s Captain Aiden Markram, maintained an undefeated record throughout the tournament, while facing challenging matches and securing narrow victories against Nepal, Netherlands, Bangladesh, and England. Their win over West Indies in the Super Eight stage came with just five balls to spare.

However, the Proteas knew when to show up and deliver match winning results. They displayed artistic prowess and made history by defeating Afghanistan by nine wickets, securing their place in their first-ever ICC Men's T20 World Cup final.

“This team has been together for a long time now as a white-ball group in both formats, and it’s nice for us to get to a final together. We feel relieved that we can compete with the best in the world, and that we can win trophies, and it’s nice to have that opportunity and make it into a World Cup final.

“It’s a personal and individual motivation to get to a final, to earn the opportunity and to hopefully win the trophy, but we all understand this game and how it works – things can go for you and things can go against you and you take that in your stride.

“A few things went our way, we managed to win the game and we found ourselves in a final. It’s a good feeling, it’s a pleasing feeling, but more importantly the group of guys in the changing room; I am extremely happy for all of them. It’s not just the 11 playing, it’s a massive squad effort.”

CSA Director of Cricket, Enoch Nkwe shared his sentiments; “Watching the Proteas progress through the World Cup stages has been nothing short of inspirational. Seeing them display our new brand of cricket, informed by the playing DNA we have adopted is testament that our strategy is showing early success. We are immensely proud and eagerly await the final showdown.”

CSA Chief Executive Officer, Pholetsi Moseki, said; “Congratulations to the Proteas on reaching the World Cup final. This achievement means a great deal to the squad, to CSA, and to all who have walked this World Cup journey with us.

“The whole of South Africa is rallying behind the Proteas. Reaching the final of the T20 World Cup is a tremendous achievement in itself and should be celebrated. We urge all South Africans to come out in their numbers and support the Proteas in the final this weekend!”

The second semi-final is scheduled for 27 June in Guyana, featuring India against England, to determine who will face South Africa in the final on 29 June.

The Proteas will return to South Africa on Wednesday 3 July and are expected to receive a heroes welcome at OR Tambo International Airport from cricketing fans from all around the country.

Bliss for David Miller who has been part of so many heartbreaking losses despite giving it his all.

- 56* off 51 vs Eng in CT 13 SF
- 21* off 12 vs Ind in WT20 14 SF
- 49 off 18 vs NZ in CWC 15 SF
- 101 off 116 vs Aus in CWC 23 SF

Never failed in this situation for SA. He was there for them every time. Performing everytime but still ending up losing. He has seen it all, most clutch SA player ever. Really deserve this , today he gets to soak up this playing the final moment. I hope he holds the trophy now.

FB_IMG_1719582069963.jpg

Bliss for David Miller who has been part of so many heartbreaking losses despite giving it his all.

- 56* off 51 vs Eng in CT 13 SF
- 21* off 12 vs Ind in WT20 14 SF
- 49 off 18 vs NZ in CWC 15 SF
- 101 off 116 vs Aus in CWC 23 SF

Never failed in this situation for SA. He was there for them every time. Performing everytime but still ending up losing. He has seen it all, most clutch SA player ever. Really deserve this , today he gets to soak up this playing the final moment. I hope he holds the trophy now.

View attachment 144885

Best better since AB De Villiers.

Cricket South Africa (CSA) wishes to congratulate the Proteas Men’s team on their achievement as runners-up in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024

The battle faced by both teams was no easy one with the Proteas displaying resilience as they took on an opponent as challenging as India. Despite not claiming the champion's title, the Proteas deserve to be celebrated for ushering this historic moment in South African Men’s cricketing history. Not only did they secure a spot in a World Cup final, but also achieved an unbeaten track record throughout the tournament which is a feat that will not be forgotten.

CSA Chief Executive Officer, Pholetsi Moseki, said; “A heartfelt congratulations to the Proteas for their valiant efforts. This team has shown tremendous tenacity and strength throughout their entire T20 World Cup campaign, and for that I commend them.

“The Proteas remain champions in their own right. While we may not have the silverware, we have witnessed a team that embodies greatness and unity which is unbreakable.”

“Despite not being able to clinch the victory, reaching the World Cup final for the first time holds immense significance in the world of cricket. We will continue to support the Proteas as they pursue their journey and aim for that number one spot in future World Cups.”

CSA Director of Cricket, Enoch Nkwe, said; “Congratulations to Coach Rob Walter and the Proteas team. As a team, I commend the commitment shown by each and every squad member, both on and off the field. Achieving this milestone and witnessing today's heroics will be etched into the history books.

“We are extremely proud of the way the team has conducted themselves and the great cricketing moments they have produced throughout this World Cup. This journey is far from over.”

Several members of the Proteas squad will return to South Africa on a date to be confirmed.
The rest of the squad, who are contracted to the Major League Cricket (MLC), will not be immediately returning to South Africa and will travel to the USA for the tournament.

Back