Spain win the UEFA Euro 2024 title after a late 2-1 victory over England

Which side will win the UEFA Euro 2024 title decider between Spain and England?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Spain showed showed the greatest variation of tactics across the tournament, they showed they could play possession based football with a cutting edge. They also showed in Germany, France and England game they could dig it and gritt it out in parts of games.

There was no ego, no superstars in Spain team. Every single squad player knew their role, did a job when they came in. The use of subs all way through tournament was excellent as well.

Also most of all they had experienced winners like nacho, cajvahal, Rodri in the squad. Players with winning mentality and attitude.

You’ve made some great points here in this thread, particularly about Germany v Spain being the real final, but sorry Southgate isn’t a Premier League manager.

A better manager, who knows how to utilise the pace and the calibre of these England players would have won England at least a Euro or WC. A good manager would have won England multiple of these.
Exactly. Name a top team who would take Southgate as a manager. NONE.

Even if he managed to swindle a top job through his obvious connections I guarantee you a high majority of fans of that club would be in uproar.

Lots of people referring to the "Golden Generation" of Englands past never winning anything either. I'm sorry that's just a cope mechanism.

Look at the calibre of players in International teams during englands "golden generation" and look at it now. England never stood a chance back in the day but this lot of players really should be playing better than they are. Its obviously tactical.

When you have Pickford playing long balls almost every time, tells you everything. No footballing brain from Southgate.

As demonstrated throughout this tournament England played better when they went behind which means they are more dangerous when playing positive.

You’ve made some great points here in this thread, particularly about Germany v Spain being the real final, but sorry Southgate isn’t a Premier League manager.

A better manager, who knows how to utilise the pace and the calibre of

I respectfully disagree.

We have players that can dribble and get past players. Issue was the coach.

Eze is a dribbler of the ball but didn't get picked, Grielish is a dribbler who can unlock defences but wasn't even in the squad...on top of that all three of Mainoo, Foden and Sakha are brilliant on the ball but due to the system and having to play Trippier on the left, all were forced to play with the hand breaks on.

To make matters worse, we had Kane as a front man who looked leggy, didn't press theor goal keeper or their defence throughout the entire tournament..

We have more than enough talent in England, just that the right players weren't selected and we looked utterly useless largely due to that.

Eze yes.

Grealish has had another awful season at City as he's become a one trick pony who can't beat a man and cuts inside and then dives.

Mainoo struggled last night because Rice kept on dropping to deep which left him isolated. It's a reason why Arteta moved rice to 8 because he drops to deep.

Foden has had ample chances, yet he flatters to deceive, at City he has the luxury of bernardo Rodri debryune who are master in build up play.

As for non selected players. I would have taken sterling who in previous tournaments has been england best wide players because of his speed and skill to get behind defences

A better manager, who knows how to utilise the pace and the calibre of these England players would have won England at least a Euro or WC. A good manager would have won England multiple of these.

It's in the DNA. England revert to type once they are pressed on the ball. They can't keep possession, they then start hoofing it long blindly. Until England produce players in midfield who can control games, then I'm afraid it will be same old story.

Lots of people referring to the "Golden Generation" of Englands past never winning anything either. I'm sorry that's just a cope mechanism.

Look at the calibre of players in International teams during englands "golden generation" and look at it now. England never stood a chance back in the day but this lot of players really should be playing better than they are. Its obviously tactical.

When you have Pickford playing long balls almost every time, tells you everything. No footballing brain from Southgate.

As demonstrated throughout this tournament England played better when they went behind which means they are more dangerous when playing positive.

The calibre of oppossition is still quality.
Had England playedany of France GermanyPortugal, they would have lost.
Infact the Germany v Spain gamewas high quality. With Germany having more possession, more chances.

Maybe, or reality is England's players past present are vastly overrated who are over hyped by the media.
I've heard variants of this every time England play in a major tournament.

You may be right. You know more about tactics in football than I do but it seems like every single tournament the players are amazing but the tactics and manager let them down.

However when you look at things like the champions League winners, best players around the world, ballon dor winners even the best managers and none of them are usually English.

Spanish players dominate their leagues, Germans theirs, Italians theirs but the Premier is (mainly) dominated by others.

Bearing this mind then perhaps two back to back finals where you have lost by slim margins is actually a decent result?

You've made excellent points. And you are spot on.

A complete mismatch this was, Spain will create legacy again they have frightening talent

Gareth Southgate lifts lid on major Harry Kane issue after sluggish Euro 2024 displays

Gareth Southgate admitted Harry Kane was struggling with injury and tiredness during England's Euro 2024 campaign.

Kane ultimately ended up picking up a six-way share of the Golden Boot thanks to his three goals in Germany, but his lacklustre displays were a feature of England's play as they rarely inspired on the way to their final defeat by Spain.

Kane was substituted in five of England's seven matches at the tournament, and came off in the 61st minute of the final in Berlin after an ineffectual display when he was replaced by Ollie Watkins.

The Aston Villa forward helped brighten up the Three Lions after coming on, with Cole Palmer equalising Nico Williams' goal within moments of arriving. Spain substitute Mikel Oyarzabal then won it in the 86th minute.

Southgate insisted that he was happy with his captain at the end of the game, but admitted he had been carrying some physical problems.

"Harry has come into the tournament having had an injury at the end of the season," he said in his post-match press conference.

"He's played a lot of minutes. We've tried to manage those minutes as well as we could. He's led the team incredibly well.

"We've lost a lot of leadership from the group with the injuries to Jordan Henderson and Harry Maguire, so a lot has fallen on Harry's shoulders.

"He's done that exceptionally well, we just felt that we needed pressure on their centre-backs and to have the options of a runner in behind, which was why we put Ollie Watkins on when we did."

Southgate added that he believed Spain had been deserving winners. "I think they were the best team in the tournament," he said.

"We didn't keep the ball well enough but we were in it until the last. I am devastated for everyone, the players have been incredible, I am so proud. We had a little bit of momentum, a big chance at the end to equalise as well, but I'm not sure we did quite enough.

"Against Spain you have to keep the ball when you win it back. We were fine defensively in the first half but that takes it out your legs. Theres no hiding that we have had a lot of issues. We have managed to deal with most of them but we have fallen short.

"The players have got to take enormous credit for getting us as close as they did. I am proud of the way they have fought, represented the shirt with pride and were never beaten until five minutes of the last game."

Damn Spanish, robbed us in England of a bank holiday!!! Would have been great to have BH in England, whilst Scots & Welsh didnt ....

Exactly. Name a top team who would take Southgate as a manager. NONE.

Even if he managed to swindle a top job through his obvious connections I guarantee you a high majority of fans of that club would be in uproar.
He's very fortunate that the calibre of the competition is like lower than we've both probably seen in living memory. He's been carried by individual brilliance.

If Spains manager was in charge of England yesterday they would have win the game.

Vast majority of the squad for Spain came from bilbao and sociedad. The Spanish manager picked players on merit.

Everyone knew their role
He wasn't scared of making subs at any time
He had experience winners like rodri, cajaval, nacho. All players who have winners attitude, no how to be a shithouse when needed.

How many England players have that real winners mentality, ones that drag their team through it when it's tough? Other than Bellingham

To many nice players in England team, yes Gareth, we love you Gareth, we are doing this for you Gareth

That exact weak loser mentality is why England didn't win anything

But but we got 2 finals, it's England's best ever performances. Because England's standards are low before, fans come up with weak excuse for falling short.

Same weak mentality you see at clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal etc...

Damn Spanish, robbed us in England of a bank holiday!!! Would have been great to have BH in England, whilst Scots & Welsh didnt ....
I think we should still get an extra bank holiday even though England lost yesterday. Just call it Harry kane or Phil foden day. It's a day where you don't turn up to work.

🗣️ Gareth Southgate:

"The physical issues that we came into the tournament with, the extra-time periods and then having as little of the ball as we did tonight ultimately took a big toll on us.

"The players have pushed it to the 85th minute of the final game and they've been incredible."

----

These excuses just highlight why he's a 🐶🐕💩 manager

Fabio Capello at the time was a top manager. Yet, when the so called Golden generation failed, he was lambasted. Never the players, but always the manager. LOL.

Also England has no divine right to win tournaments .There's other quality teams

Fabio Capello at the time was a top manager. Yet, when the so called Golden generation failed, he was lambasted. Never the players, but always the manager. LOL.

Also England has no divine right to win tournaments .There's other quality teams
Back in late 90s and 2000s the quality of European teams and South American teams were a lot better. Whilst I'm not making excuses for England's failure, back then they had 4 or 5 teams which were better than them.

You look at South America now Brazil are trash. In Europe teams have been hit and miss France good in world cups, poor in euros. Spain have only recently improved Germany got knocked out by 1st decent side they played against.

Let's not forget you over hyping the worst Dutch side I've ever seen, I've been watching football since 1987.

England should be kicking themselves for not winning a trophy recently.

Let me know what other quality teams they are about?

Back in late 90s and 2000s the quality of European teams and South American teams were a lot better. Whilst I'm not making excuses for England's failure, back then they had 4 or 5 teams which were better than them.

You look at South America now Brazil are trash. In Europe teams have been hit and miss France good in world cups, poor in euros. Spain have only recently improved Germany got knocked out by 1st decent side they played against.

Let's not forget you over hyping the worst Dutch side I've ever seen, I've been watching football since 1987.

England should be kicking themselves for not winning a trophy recently.

Let me know what other quality teams they are about?

England had no divine right to win anything.

Spain
Germany
France

Are still better than this England team
And you can count Portugal in that if Ronaldo stops hijacking this highly talented team.

As for the Dutch. I did say, they were missing real quality through injuries, and it took a dubious penalty decision for England to beat them.

Spain
Germany
France

And you can count Portugal in that if Ronaldo stops hijacking this highly talented team.

As for the Dutch. I did say, they were missing real quality through injuries, and it took a dubious penalty decision for England to beat them.

Spain, Germany, and France have no divine right either. It is a tournament at the end of the day, and every team is there to win it.

Spain
Germany
France

You seem to repeat the same thing.

"England have no divine right to win anything"

When did anyone say that England had a divine right? No one did at all.

England have had opportunities against Croatia in 2018 and Italy in 2021 which they should have taken. Their is no real shame in losing to France in the world cup as they are a top side.

All that any football fan has said is that with a manager with better tactics they could have possibly got over the line.

Prime example of that is Spain, look at them in euro 2021 or world cup 2022. All Spain did was pass, pass, pass with no end product and that's why the failed to both those tournaments. It took a new manager and a change of tactics of being more direct in final 3rd.

Spain are the best team in Europe based on this tournament, but their performances before that were average at best.

France pretty much it depends on whether mbappe turns up or not he did in last 2 world cups, yet in the last 2 euros France haven't looked great.

But yeah I will agree Spain and France are better than England.

Germany though? How exactly are they better than England? Based on what?

2018 - Germany finished bottom of their group of Mexico, Sweden and South Korea.

2021 - Germany knocked out by England

2022 - Germany knocked out of group stages again, in a group with Spain, Japan and Costa Rica

2024 - Germany knocked by spain

So how exactly is a team high can't get out of group stages in world cup, got knocked by England in euros, then lost to Spain this time (pretty much the 1st top side they played) better than England?

Germany may have good players like wirtz, krooz and musiala but they were also depending a donkey up front to win the games and that says it all. They cudnt even beat Switzerland in the group.

Finally the Dutch are mediocre, injuries or not they lost to Austria in group stages. Beat an average Romania side and then rode their luck vs Turkey.

A national which had produced players like cruff, Bergkamp, guilt, van perspectives, robben etc.. and this tournament were depending in gapko and a plan B of playing Burnley style longs balls to weghorst.

As far as Portugal go they have flattered to deceive in the last few tournaments as well and isn't a shock really. Martinez failed with Belgium as he did Portugal.

Spain play a modern style , England stuck in the past .

You won’t win any trophy with a long ball style today or not pressing the opposition.

It’s arrogance from manager , pundits & fans to think the English traditional method can be good enough today.

Spain should have won 5-1 , dominated a final with ease.

As a football fan , someone who loves the sport I’m glad England lost , playing that rubbish.

Yamal is a better than any EnglishmM alive & he’s in school . Prob won’t ever leave Barca but imagine him at your club .

It’s not always the best team that wins Euro, Greece Russia Czech and Portugal once won it as well.

Spain play a modern style , England stuck in the past .

You won’t win any trophy with a long ball style today or not pressing the opposition.

It’s arrogance from manager , pundits & fans to think the English traditional method can be good enough today.

Spain should have won 5-1 , dominated a final with ease.

As a football fan , someone who loves the sport I’m glad England lost , playing that rubbish.

Yamal is a better than any EnglishmM alive & he’s in school . Prob won’t ever leave Barca but imagine him at your club .
Yamal is an anomaly of the world like Messi and Ronaldo scouted at 6 and signed at 7 for Barca not a norm.

English league can’t beat such scouts and unearth such gems.

England have had opportunities against Croatia in 2018 and Italy in 2021 which they should have taken. Their is no real shame in losing to France in the world cup as they are a top side.

All that any football fan has said is that with a manager with better tactics they could have possibly got over the line.

Prime example of that is Spain, look at them in euro 2021 or world cup 2022. All Spain did was pass, pass, pass with no end product and that's why the failed to both those tournaments. It took a new manager and a change of tactics of being more direct in final 3rd.

Spain are the best team in Europe based on this tournament, but their performances before that were average at best.

France pretty much it depends on whether mbappe turns up or not he did in last 2 world

France pretty much it depends on whether mbappe turns up or not he did in last 2 world cups, yet in the last 2 euros France haven't looked great.

But yeah I will agree Spain and France are better than England.

Germany though? How exactly are they better than England? Based on what?

2018 - Germany finished bottom of their group of Mexico, Sweden and South Korea.

2021 - Germany knocked out by England

2022 - Germany knocked out of group stages again, in a group with Spain, Japan and Costa Rica

2024 - Germany knocked by spain

So how exactly is a team high can't get out of group stages in world cup, got knocked by England in euros, then lost to Spain this time (pretty much the 1st top side they played) better than England?

Germany may have good players like wirtz, krooz and musiala but they were also depending a donkey up front to win the games and that says it all. They cudnt even beat Switzerland in the group.

Finally the Dutch are mediocre, injuries or not they lost to Austria in group stages. Beat an average Romania side and then rode their luck vs Turkey.

A national which had produced players like cruff, Bergkamp, guilt, van perspectives, robben etc.. and this tournament were depending in gapko and a plan B of playing Burnley style longs balls to weghorst.

As far as Portugal go they have flattered to deceive in the last few tournaments as well and isn't a shock really. Martinez failed with Belgium as he did Portugal.
Based on this tournament, for me the two best teams were Spain and Germany. Just unfortunate, they had to meet earlier, as their match proved to be befitting a final. The game itself was very evenly matched.

Based on this tournament, for me the two best teams were Spain and Germany. Just unfortunate, they had to meet earlier, as their match proved to be befitting a final. The game itself was very evenly matched.
Based on this tournament Germany were one of the best two teams? 🤣🤣

Based on what? The beat Scotland and Hungary in the group stages. They struggled to beat Switzerland.

The Denmark game was decided essentially on a dodgy penalty. I see you mentioned the dodgy England vs Dutch game. At least be consistent bro.

Also there was nothing fortunate about it, the way draw was done there was always going to be big sides playing each other in 1/4 finals. Facts are German got beaten by 1st top side they played against.

Just because they hammed a rubbish Scotland and average Hungary side people got over excited.

Unless German use a top striker they will be exposed again in the next world cup as well

Yep, no team has divine right to win anything. Difference is, these teams have a rich history of success .
So your now moving the goal posts.

No one is going to dispute other teams rich history, yes England are massive failures on that aspect.

But your devine right comment applies to all teams.

Italy haven't qualified for the world cup for 10 years

Brazil haven't won the world cup for 20+ years

Germany haven't reach a final of a euro / world cup for 10 years

Plenty of other big teams have massively failed in recent times.

Pretty much your just putting out that you hate England, yet over hyping every other nation.

Based on this tournament Germany were one of the best two teams? 🤣🤣

Based on what? The beat Scotland and Hungary in the group stages. They struggled to beat Switzerland.

The Denmark game was decided essentially on a dodgy penalty. I see you mentioned the dodgy England vs Dutch game. At least be consistent bro.

Also there was nothing fortunate about it, the way draw was done there was always going to be big sides playing each other in 1/4 finals. Facts are German got beaten by 1st top side they played against.

Just because they hammed a rubbish Scotland and average Hungary side people got over excited.

Unless German use a top striker they will be exposed again in the next world cup as

In a poor tournament, no doubt about it, Spain and Germany were best footballing sides. Stats don't lie.

Yep, no team has divine right to win anything. Difference is, these teams have a rich history of success .
Rich history can sometimes count for nothing.

Take English football. England's 3 most successful clubs are

Liverpool (1 league title In last 30 years)

Man utd (last won league 10 years ago)

Arsenal (last won the league 20 years ago)

So just because teams have past sucsess means no devine right to title now. No different to any other team.

In a poor tournament, no doubt about it, Spain and Germany were best footballing sides. Stats don't lie.
The fact your resorting to "stats" on your losing Germany argument.

Why don't you tell me what top side Germany beat in this tournament.

Let me guess your stats will be made up of mainy Germany hammering Scotland.

So your now moving the goal posts.

No one is going to dispute other teams rich history, yes England are massive failures on that aspect.

But your devine right comment applies to all teams.

Italy haven't qualified for the world cup for 10 years

Brazil haven't won the world cup for 20+ years

Germany haven't reach a final of a euro / world cup for 10 years

Plenty of other big teams have massively failed in recent times.

Pretty much your just putting out that you hate England, yet over hyping every other nation.
Rich history can sometimes count for nothing.

Take English football. England's 3 most successful clubs are

Liverpool (1 league title In last 30 years)

Man utd (last won league 10 years ago)

Arsenal (last won the league 20 years ago)

So just because teams have past sucsess means no devine right to title now. No different to any other team.
My point was, all the so called England fans are castigating Southgate because he's not won the trophy. Hes achieved more than any other England manager in the last 50 years

Yamal is an anomaly of the world like Messi and Ronaldo scouted at 6 and signed at 7 for Barca not a norm.

English league can’t beat such scouts and unearth such gems.

Different culture . In the group stages Southgate allowing his players to have beers after the match . Spanish were going to bed early dreaming of the trophy .

England produce a lot of talent too.

Paul Gascoigne a perfect example , one of the most talented in history but was ruined by British culture , media & players around him .

But now England need a new style , the modern style . Prob is even if Pep or Klopp took charge , can England as a nation & players adopt this ? I think they can but will take years

The fact your resorting to "stats" on your losing Germany argument.

Why don't you tell me what top side Germany beat in this tournament.

Let me guess your stats will be made up of mainy Germany hammering Scotland.

Spain the rightful champions. Yet, they were pretty much second best in that fixture against Germany

My point was, all the so called England fans are castigating Southgate because he's not won the trophy. Hes achieved more than any other England manager in the last 50 years
Because in the past England were either crap or there were better teams then them in the past.

You look at the squad of players England have had over last 8 years and yes Southgate has failed.

Fans in general seem to have this weird logic nowadays of using teams past lack of success as a yard stick to say oh well the team wasn't good then, so why should failure now be made accountable.

Prime example of that is the club i support Arsenal. Hasn't won the league for 20 years, you get fans with no standars now celebrating a title challenge rather than actually winning it.

You judge a team, manager on the era they are in and what have and haven't won. 2 finals and a semi finals is failure.

No different to Arsenal and Liverpool fans celebrating 2nd place finished and points totals.

Different culture . In the group stages Southgate allowing his players to have beers after the match . Spanish were going to bed early dreaming of the trophy .

England produce a lot of talent too.

Paul Gascoigne a perfect example , one of the most talented in history but was ruined by British culture , media & players around him .

But now England need a new style , the modern style . Prob is even if Pep or Klopp took charge , can England as a nation & players adopt this ? I think they can but will take years

even if klopp or Pep comes in it would make no difference. England lack the player I.Q. for these managers. Peps teams are dominated in midfield by the likes of Gundogan, Rodri, bernardo, debryune, not static water carriers like Phillips, Rice , or Gallagher. Prime reason for England's struggles is the midfield, no quality. Always been the case

Because in the past England were either crap or there were better teams then them in the past.

You look at the squad of players England have had over last 8 years and yes Southgate has failed.

Fans in general seem to have this weird logic nowadays of using teams past lack of success as a yard stick to say oh well the team wasn't good then, so why should failure now be made accountable.

Prime example of that is the club i support Arsenal. Hasn't won the league for 20 years, you get fans with no standars now celebrating a title challenge rather than actually winning it.

You judge a team, manager on the era they are in and what have and haven't won. 2 finals and a semi finals is failure.

No different to Arsenal and Liverpool fans celebrating 2nd place finished and points totals.

This is where your wrong my friend. World cups and Euros are every 4 years and the players have limited time with their national teams through out the season. Building a National team squad takes time, therefore a semi final and 2 finals birth in international tournaments is deemed a success. Also you cannot compare club football with international football, it's chalk and cheese

Spain the rightful champions. Yet, they were pretty much second best in that fixture against Germany
🤣 sorry but don't know what game you were watching. Spain dominate Germany at start of the game, then made the mistake of going to defensive at 1-0. Which let Germany back into the game.

Spain then got back some control when game went to extra time. Please don't make out like Germany dominated and Spain won by some sort of fluke.

Germany were lucky in Denmark game. Denmark had a very tight VAR call go against them, then a disgraceful penalty given against them which I see you conviently ignored.

Also I see you can't name a top side Germany beat in this euros

If you go back to between 2018 and 2024 in world cups and Euros, the Germans have beaten 1 top side in Portugal.

even if klopp or Pep comes in it would make no difference. England lack the player I.Q. for these managers. Peps teams are dominated in midfield by the likes of Gundogan, Rodri, bernardo, debryune, not static water carriers like Phillips, Rice , or Gallagher. Prime reason for England's struggles is the midfield, no quality. Always been the case
Gudogan, de bryne have done exactly what at international level? Neither of these players has done anything good at international level compared to their club careers.

Why didn't Belgiums golden generation win anything when it's got KDB, hazard and numerous other talents down the years.

Gudogan made his German debut in 2011 and this euros was 1st time he had played in a knockout game for german.

Again feel free to lambast England players, yet other players you name have been mediocre in international tournaments as well.

This is where your wrong my friend. World cups and Euros are every 4 years and the players have limited time with their national teams through out the season. Building a National team squad takes time, therefore a semi final and 2 finals birth in international tournaments is deemed a success. Also you cannot compare club football with international football, it's chalk and cheese
Tournament competitions in any sport is every few years, if you don't win when you have a good group of players it's failure.

Prime example of that is Holland.

They had probably their greatest ever side in the 70s. They reached World cup finals in 74, and 78. Euro semis in 76.

Do you think any of their fans look at that as success?

You either win thr trophy or you don't.

Tournament competitions in any sport is every few years, if you don't win when you have a good group of players it's failure.

Prime example of that is Holland.

They had probably their greatest ever side in the 70s. They reached World cup finals in 74, and 78. Euro semis in 76.

Do you think any of their fans look at that as success?

You either win thr trophy or you don't.
England have always had good individuals . Yet from 66 until Southgate took over they were serial failures.

Soutgates achievement of back to back finals has to be deemed a success

Gudogan, de bryne have done exactly what at international level? Neither of these players has done anything good at international level compared to their club careers.

Why didn't Belgiums golden generation win anything when it's got KDB, hazard and numerous other talents down the years.

Gudogan made his German debut in 2011 and this euros was 1st time he had played in a knockout game for german.

Again feel free to lambast England players, yet other players you name have been mediocre in international tournaments as well.

We havethe GOAT manager in pep hailing the player.

🤣 sorry but don't know what game you were watching. Spain dominate Germany at start of the game, then made the mistake of going to defensive at 1-0. Which let Germany back into the game.

Spain then got back some control when game went to extra time. Please don't make out like Germany dominated and Spain won by some sort of fluke.

Germany were lucky in Denmark game. Denmark had a very tight VAR call go against them, then a disgraceful penalty given against them which I see you conviently ignored.

Also I see you can't name a top side Germany beat in this euros

If you go back to between 2018 and 2024 in world cups and Euros, the Germans have beaten 1 top side in Portugal.

Sorry bro. You must have been watching something else. We had the Spanish coach complimenting the opposition for a epic .

We havethe GOAT manager in pep hailing the player.

What's Pep hailing gudogan and KDB got to do with international football? Both are failures at international level in tournaments.

You think Pep wouldn't speak highly of stones, walker or foden if he was asked bout them?

They are failures as well at international level.

Sorry bro. You must have been watching something else. We had the Spanish coach complimenting the opposition for a epic .

So the Spanish coach compliment German and according to that it means German dominated Spain 🤣🤦.

The Spanish coach spoke highly of France and England as well. So why not mention this as well?

Like I said German got knocked out by 1st decent team they played. I see you couldn't even counter my point on German failures in last 6 years.

@aboveandbeyond

You do realize that gudogan at international has missed so many tournaments through injury, then been on the bench.

It's only the last 2 euros and works cup where he's played regularly and Germany have failed.

KDB hasn't exactly turned up at euros or world cups much either in big knock out games.

So making out that England players are over hyped because they have talented foreign club performers around them.

Reality is these talented players have been mediocre at international level as well.

What's Pep hailing gudogan and KDB got to do with international football? Both are failures at international level in tournaments.

You think Pep wouldn't speak highly of stones, walker or foden if he was asked bout them?

They are failures as well at international level.

my point is pep being the England manager would not guarantee success. With the calibre of midfield England have, they would not control games, and if you look at the profile of his midfield, it's all continental artistry

So the Spanish coach compliment German and according to that it means German dominated Spain 🤣🤦.

The Spanish coach spoke highly of France and England as well. So why not mention this as well?

Like I said German got knocked out by 1st decent team they played. I see you couldn't even counter my point on German failures in last 6 years.
The Spanish coach stated, we would not encounter tougher opposition in the reminder of the Tournament.

Germany v Spain was the game of the tournament, hence somebody had to go out. The game itself was befitting a final, unlike the Spain v England game which was boring and one sided.

I'm not referring to the past Hgermany teams, in this tournament bar Spain, they've been the best team I've seen.

Euro 2024 champions Spain have returned home to a royal welcome in Madrid.

Spain beat England 2-1 in Sunday's final in Berlin to win their record fourth European crown.

They travelled from Germany to the capital Madrid on Monday and met Spain's King Felipe VI and his family.

Celebrations are set to continue as fans gather at Cibeles Square in anticipation of seeing their heroes and the Henri Delaunay Trophy.

1721081118142.png

1721081145390.png

England full-back Kyle Walker has been named in the Euro 2024 team of the tournament alongside six players from champions Spain

The Manchester City defender played every minute for England in Germany as the Three Lions finished runners-up.

It is the second time in succession Walker has made the team of the tournament, having done so in 2021 when England were beaten by Italy in the final at Wembley.

The team of the tournament was picked by a panel of 12 "technical observers" including David Moyes, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Rafa Benitez.

Marc Cucurella (Chelsea), William Saliba (Arsenal), Rodri (Manchester City) and Manuel Akanji (Manchester City) were the players chosen from Premier League clubs.

Lamine Yamal, who won the young player of the tournament award, was named alongside Spain team-mates Nico Williams, Dani Olmo and Fabian Ruiz.

Jamal Musiala, who scored three goals for hosts Germany before their quarter-final exit to Spain, was named in attack while AC Milan goalkeeper Mike Maignan completed the XI.

Uefa team of the tournament: Mike Maignan (France); Kyle Walker (England), Manuel Akanji (Switzerland), William Saliba (France), Marc Cucurella (Spain); Daniel Olmo (Spain), Rodri (Spain), Fabian Ruiz (Spain); Lamine Yamal (Spain), Jamal Musiala (Germany), Nico Williams (Spain).

Source: BBC

England full-back Kyle Walker has been named in the Euro 2024 team of the tournament alongside six players from champions Spain

The Manchester City defender played every minute for England in Germany as the Three Lions finished runners-up.

It is the second time in succession Walker has made the team of the tournament, having done so in 2021 when England were beaten by Italy in the final at Wembley.

The team of the tournament was picked by a panel of 12 "technical observers" including David Moyes, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Rafa Benitez.

Marc Cucurella (Chelsea), William Saliba (Arsenal), Rodri (Manchester City) and Manuel Akanji (Manchester City) were the players chosen from Premier League clubs.

Lamine Yamal, who won the young player of the tournament award, was named alongside Spain team-mates Nico Williams, Dani Olmo and Fabian Ruiz.

Jamal Musiala, who scored three goals for hosts Germany before their quarter-final exit to Spain, was named in attack while AC Milan goalkeeper Mike Maignan completed the XI.

Uefa team of the tournament: Mike Maignan (France); Kyle Walker (England), Manuel Akanji (Switzerland), William Saliba (France), Marc Cucurella (Spain); Daniel Olmo (Spain), Rodri (Spain), Fabian Ruiz (Spain); Lamine Yamal (Spain), Jamal Musiala (Germany), Nico Williams (Spain).

Source: BBC
Walker in team of tournament 🤣🤦

Hard to believe Spain is now the most successful team in Euro Cup history. I thought it would be Germany or Italy (both countries won 4 World Cups each).

Hard to believe Spain is now the most successful team in Euro Cup history. I thought it would be Germany or Italy (both countries won 4 World Cups each).
Since the last won it in 1996, Germany have been pretty underwhelming in the Euros since. They have got to 1 final since and even that side was pretty weak.

Since the last won it in 1996, Germany have been pretty underwhelming in the Euros since. They have got to 1 final since and even that side was pretty weak.

Yeah.

Euro has a somewhat weird history. Some low-key teams have also won Euros in the past. Denmark, Greece, and even Czech Republic.

Gibraltar’s government and FA criticise Spain players’ chants at Euro 2024 party

The Gibraltar government has criticised the “rancid remarks” members of Spain’s Euro 2024-winning side made at a victory rally in central Madrid on Monday night. The territory’s football association is to make a formal complaint to Uefa over the matter.

The controversy, which follows Spain’s 2-1 victory against England in the final on Sunday, erupted after the Spain captain, Álvaro Morata, and the midfielder Rodri chanted “Gibraltar es español” [“Gibraltar is Spanish”] while on stage in front of a massive crowd in the Spanish capital’s Plaza de Cibeles.

When Morata reminded Rodri that he played for an English side, Manchester City, the latter replied: “I don’t care.”

The behaviour elicited a swift and angry response from the government of Gibraltar, which lies at the southern tip of the Iberian peninsula and has been in British hands since 1713. “His Majesty’s Government of Gibraltar is disappointed to note that several players of the Spanish male national football team celebrated their European Cup win with chants of rancid remarks about Gibraltar.

“This is a totally unnecessary mixing of a great sporting success with discriminatory political statements that are hugely offensive to Gibraltarians. The lamentable use of the platform of celebrations around winning the Eurocup for advancing the idea of usurping the territory of Gibraltar is contrary to the principle that sport should not be used to advance any politically controversial ideology.”

The Gibraltar FA described the chants as “extremely provocative and insulting” and said it would be making an official complaint to Uefa. It said: “Football has no place for behaviour of this nature.”

But tThe player’s actions were endorsed by some conservative and far-right politicians. “The players didn’t say anything that most Spaniards don’t believe,” Madrid’s conservative mayor, José Luis Martínez-Almeida, told Telecinco on Tuesday. Javier Ortega-Smith, a senior member of the far-right Vox party, retweeted a video of the chant, adding: “Sí.”

The chants were not the only controversial element of the celebrations on Monday. When the team were received by Spain’s socialist prime minister, Pedro Sánchez, at the Moncloa Palace in Madrid earlier in the evening, the Real Madrid defender Dani Carvajal is said to have made a point by looking away from the PM as he briefly shook his hand.

The move was applauded on far‑right social media accounts. One commentator said Carvajal was “a champ” for blanking Sánchez, adding: “Being a good Spaniard is incompatible with supporting a traitor to Spain.”

THE GUARDIAN

Morata & Rodri charged for 'Gibraltar is Spanish' chant

Uefa has opened "disciplinary proceedings" against Spain captain Alvaro Morata and team-mate Rodri after they chanted "Gibraltar is Spanish" during their Euro 2024 victory celebrations.

The Gibraltar Football Association (GFA) made an official complaint about the celebrations to Uefa and European football's governing body appointed a disciplinary inspector to "evaluate a potential violation of the Uefa disciplinary regulations".

Morata and Rodri have now been charged with "general principles of conduct, violating the basic rules of decent conduct, using sporting events for manifestations of a non-sporting nature, and bringing the sport of football, and Uefa in particular, into disrepute".

Uefa's control, ethics and disciplinary body (CEDB) will make a decision on the issue "in due course".

Gibraltar is an enclave at Spain's southern tip that has been under British rule since the 18th Century, and Spain has long called for its return.

The chanting took place in front of tens of thousands of Spain fans in Cibeles Square, Madrid on 15 July as players celebrated their 2-1 Euro 2024 final success against England.

Manchester City midfielder Rodri, 28, could be seen chanting "Gibraltar is Spanish" on the stage, and AC Milan striker Morata, 31, later encouraged the crowd to join in with the same chant.

The Gibraltar FA complained about Spain's behaviour, saying it had "noted the extremely provocative and insulting nature of the celebrations around the Spanish Men's national team winning Euro 2024".

"Football has no place for behaviour of this nature," it added.

Gibraltar has been a full member of Uefa since 2013.

BBC

Criticism of England at Euros 'ridiculous' - Maguire​

The criticism of England 's Euro 2024 performances was "a bit ridiculous", said Manchester United defender Harry Maguire.

Maguire played more than 60 times under manager Gareth Southgate but missed England's run to a second consecutive European Championship final in Germany with a calf injury.

During the group stage of the tournament beer cups were thrown at Southgate and the team was jeered by some fans, with a string of below-par displays greeted with general disdain from some supporters, media and pundits.

“Yes, performances might not have been amazing but it is tournament football," Maguire told BBC Sport, speaking on the club's pre-season tour of the United States.

"It is not as expansive. There are far less risks taken. You can’t afford to make mistakes or get caught going out in a full press. You saw throughout the tournament there were not many high-scoring wins.

“I just don’t know what the media or fans expected of this team. Was it to go and beat Serbia 4-0 in the first game and then beat Denmark 3-0? Did they think it was just going to be a walk in the park?”

Southgate resigned two days after the tournament finished.

Maguire's team-mate Tom Heaton, who was part of the England squad as a training goalkeeper, added: “I am not quite sure where the narrative changed. Through Gareth’s whole reign as manager, there has been a real positive outlook to it.

“From a players’ point of view from inside the camp, we managed to shut it out and create a siege mentality and proved people wrong.

“It was an incredible experience but I was a little bit surprised at the outlook from the start of the tournament.”

Maguire picked up a calf injury in training at the beginning of May and could not recover in time for the FA Cup final win over Manchester City at Wembley four weeks later.

Another setback on England duty led to Southgate cutting him from the final 26-man Euro 2024 squad.

"To miss out was tough," added Maguire.

“It has been really frustrating, working all season to get myself mentally and physically at the top of my game and be in a position to feel I could really make a difference for Manchester United and my country."

The 31-year-old earned plenty of praise last season for refusing to quit United when he was stripped of the captaincy by manager Erik ten Hag and at times dropped down to fifth choice central defender, behind Lisandro Martinez, Raphael Varane, Victor Lindelof and Jonny Evans.

Maguire made 31 appearances in all competitions, despite not starting a Premier League game until October.

United have spent £52m on 18-year-old French defender Leny Yoro, but Maguire says he's ready for a renewed challenge for his first-team position.

“There was a lot of uncertainty over my future last year but I sat down with the manager, he told me where I was at, said he believed in me and I would get chances,” said Maguire.

“I proved last season when I got the chances I took them really well.”

United’s FA Cup final victory changed perceptions around Ten Hag and probably saved his job.

But Maguire knows the eighth placed Premier League finish was not good enough.

With Dan Ashworth now in place as sporting director and Omar Berrada the new chief executive, Maguire expects improvement but is realistic about how far United might go in the months that lie ahead.

“I don’t think we will go from finishing eighth in the league to winning all the trophies overnight,” he said.

"But I do think we are moving in the right direction now and the decisions that have been made at the top will help this club get back to where it should be.”

Euro 2024 fuels 14% increase in football-related arrests

Euro 2024 and a surge in the possession of class A drugs fuelled a 14% increase in football-related arrests in England and Wales during the 2023-24 season.

Home Office statistics released on Thursday, external said there were 2,584 football-related arrests across the season, up by 320 on 2022-23.

The 14% increase was driven by England's participation in the Euro 2024 tournament in Germany, with 417 arrests made at or in connection with national team matches - representing 16% of all arrests.

Of the 417 arrests, 291 were made in England and Wales - 281 of which related to the Euro 2024 tournament.

England were runners-up to Spain at Euro 2024, while Wales were beaten by Poland in a play-off before the tournament.

There were 344 arrests for the possession of class A drugs across the season, an increase of 144 from the previous campaign. The 2022-23 season was the first in which possession of class A drugs was specifically recorded, having previously been recorded as 'other arrests'.

Of the most common football-related arrest offence types, the possession of class A drugs was third (13%) behind violent disorder (19%) and public disorder (43%).

For arrests across the top five divisions of men's football in England, there was a slight increase from 2,037 in 2022-2023 to 2,043 in 2023-24.

West Ham United accounted for the highest number of supporters arrested for the third consecutive season, with 103 arrests in 2023-24.

Manchester City and Manchester United were joint second for arrests, with both clubs seeing 88 detainments across the campaign. Arsenal (85) and Chelsea (67) were fourth and fifth most respectively.

In total, 825 new football banning orders were issued during the season - an increase of 21% compared with the previous season.

BBC

Back