Spikes, which ones do you use?

Cover Drive

Senior ODI Player
Runs
So as the title say which footwear do you use? For past three seasons I have played so I just used regular running shoes, however, this year InshAllah I will use proper spikes got few and will get them in action.

Which ones do you use and how are they?

So as the title say which footwear do you use? For past three seasons I have played so I just used regular running shoes, however, this year InshAllah I will use proper spikes got few and will get them in action.

Which ones do you use and how are they?

Initially I didn't want to spend huge money on spikes so I got myself a decent ones from Kookaburra. They are bit hard I think but they are ok; good solid support to foot inside ... I am sure there are better (and probably expensive) spikes out there but so far I am ok with them ... if I have to change them for some reason, I'll go for something better ... would be interesting to see the responses on other brands

Initially I didn't want to spend huge money on spikes so I got myself a decent ones from Kookaburra. They are bit hard I think but they are ok; good solid support to foot inside ... I am sure there are better (and probably expensive) spikes out there but so far I am ok with them ... if I have to change them for some reason, I'll go for something better ... would be interesting to see the responses on other brands

I have never used cricket shoes in cricket but do cricket spikes help you in your batting (with balance, grip etc etc)?

I have never used cricket shoes in cricket but do cricket spikes help you in your batting (with balance, grip etc etc)?

Running between the wickets yes, you get more grip obviously hence take off & braking is better. Can't really say if they affect your balance in some way, personally for me they don’t

While coming from normal running shoes to spikes is a bit of a change; you need to get used to them. With spikes you have to put bit of extra energy while running (they are slightly heavier than normal running shoes + the spikes factor). So in the beginning keep this in mind, once you get used to them they are big help.

Btw, there is another type called Grippers. They don't have metallic spikes; but kind of rubber spikes (donno how to describe them). They are lighter but I reccon with wet ground or due factor spikes would have better grip. One of my friend prefers Grippers due to lightness. But I still feel that on hard wicket you can lose your grip (just like normal running shoes) with Gripper vs Spikes. And anyways; you can use spikes like gripper by removing metal spikes

JazakAllah Khair for throughout detailed response I appreciate it.

We have artificial pitches and on them we are not allowed to use steel spikes.

I will be starting to wear my spikes in winter nets and try to get used to them.

JazakAllah Khair for throughout detailed response I appreciate it.

We have artificial pitches and on them we are not allowed to use steel spikes.

I will be starting to wear my spikes in winter nets and try to get used to them.

You can remove the metal spikes & use them as Normal/Gripper shoes for indoor/artificial wickets (this is normally allowed) ... this way you'll get use to the shoes to some extent

You can remove the metal spikes & use them as Normal/Gripper shoes for indoor/artificial wickets (this is normally allowed) ... this way you'll get use to the shoes to some extent

Yup I can remove the metal spikes, however, some like Puma Calibre Convertibles I can't remove them.

But I am joining a team next year who will have turf pitches so I might use them there or keep them for fielding.

I will use Nika Googly in indoors and Adidas and Asics in matches and Puma for fielding.

PS: Kashif Bhai please update on Screaming Cat? :) :D

Last edited:
Rubber spikes do nothing, metal spikes help a LOT on turf wickets ... if you try and wear joggers on a turf wicket you will slip over a lot

Rubber spikes do nothing, metal spikes help a LOT on turf wickets ... if you try and wear joggers on a turf wicket you will slip over a lot

Wow, thanks for the heads up.

What about rubber spikes on matting? Helpful?

You should not be playing on a turf wicket without spikes. Good way to fall flat on your face.

If you're playing on astro, I wouldn't bother using rubber spikes. Normal runners will be more comfortable and I think the the increased grib would be negligible.

I've got a pair of asics spikes. They are very good. I forget what they are called, they are a few years old - it's the one based on a running shoe.

Yup I can remove the metal spikes, however, some like Puma Calibre Convertibles I can't remove them.

But I am joining a team next year who will have turf pitches so I might use them there or keep them for fielding.

I will use Nika Googly in indoors and Adidas and Asics in matches and Puma for fielding.

PS: Kashif Bhai please update on Screaming Cat? :) :D

Go for the ones where you can remove spikes; you can use the same pair indoor, turf, fielding & spin bowling.

Still can't figure out, where are you living/playing :)

SC is still in transit somewhere ... it’s more of my patience test actually now :D

I agree with jjcs, there's not much difference between joggers/rubbers on synthetic wickets, but it does help slightly and it looks better :azhar

Kashif Bhai, I live in Canada and play cricket here as well. We play on matting whereas the Elite teams play on turf pitches, however, the club I am intending to join next year have turf pitches and that's where half of the games will be played.

I already have spikes and I have following ones;

- Nike Googly 2011
- Asics Gel Advance 3 Limited Edition 2011
- Puma Calibre Convertibles 2011
- Adidas Twenty22 Yard Lites 2011

Didn't you get tracking number for your SCAT?

I have the pair below ... set me back a fair bit (close to $200), but they're really comfortable, worth it I think.

asics-gel-advance-4-cricket-shoe.jpg

Gel Advance 4.

You should not be playing on a turf wicket without spikes. Good way to fall flat on your face.

If you're playing on astro, I wouldn't bother using rubber spikes. Normal runners will be more comfortable and I think the the increased grib would be negligible.

I've got a pair of asics spikes. They are very good. I forget what they are called, they are a few years old - it's the one based on a running shoe.

I agree with jjcs, there's not much difference between joggers/rubbers on synthetic wickets, but it does help slightly and it looks better :azhar

Cheers, I never hand problems with my runners on mattings however this year I used my Adidas trainers and they don't have much of rubbers etc studs/spikes on the bottom and I would skid sometimes.

I have the pair below ... set me back a fair bit (close to $200), but they're really comfortable, worth it I think.

asics-gel-advance-4-cricket-shoe.jpg

Gel Advance 4.

They are amazing shoes, I have Asics Gel Advance 3 Limited Edition and I love them. Brilliant shoes they are. I agree they are a bit expensive but worth every penny I love the feel of them although I haven't used them yet :))

Adidas ones are brilliant too!

Kashif Bhai, I live in Canada and play cricket here as well. We play on matting whereas the Elite teams play on turf pitches, however, the club I am intending to join next year have turf pitches and that's where half of the games will be played.

- Nike Googly 2011

Erm... well you've pretty much got it covered then.

I wouldn't bother getting convertible spikes for astro. Just get something like this: http://www.kingsgrovesports.com.au/Products.aspx?ProductID=483

Alternatively, you could get a normal runner soled with some kind of rubber - that would be my option if money wasn't an issue. See here: http://www.fbutd.com/contents/en-us/d6.html

- Nike Googly 2011

Canada ... got it :)

Bro you are covered with all these shoes :)

I got the tracking no yes; but it’s not a fancy courier service like DHL; its Australian post (he can't send via DHL, no service where he lives). Tracking update is not very frequent. Julian told me that it takes 5-10 days to reach the bat in UAE ... I wonder who else had ordered in Dubai :D

Erm... well you've pretty much got it covered then.

I wouldn't bother getting convertible spikes for astro. Just get something like this: http://www.kingsgrovesports.com.au/Products.aspx?ProductID=483

Alternatively, you could get a normal runner soled with some kind of rubber - that would be my option if money wasn't an issue. See here: http://www.fbutd.com/contents/en-us/d6.html

Those Puma and Adidas shoes I bought were from JJB Sports sale and I got them for very very good price including shipping to Canada and customs, I just bought them for sake of price although I had no intention of buying them but pricing was so good that it was next to impossible to let it go.

Ah that looks interested, quite good idea I would say too! But service seems pretty expensive, I have seen few players getting trainers into spikes like Mohammad Yousuf, Mike Hussey (I believe) etc

Canada ... got it :)

Bro you are covered with all these shoes :)

I got the tracking no yes; but it’s not a fancy courier service like DHL; its Australian post (he can't send via DHL, no service where he lives). Tracking update is not very frequent. Julian told me that it takes 5-10 days to reach the bat in UAE ... I wonder who else had ordered in Dubai :D

Kabhi chakkar lagga so let me know :)

Ah okay, so guess for Canada it will take longer than that too :(

Kabhi chakkar lagga so let me know :)

Ah okay, so guess for Canada it will take longer than that too :(

Same for you bro; Dubai is quite a popular stop over place as you know :D

Not sure if Canada can take longer; Jullian would know better

I am quite tempted to put some extra rubber/protection on the toe of my spikes ... has anyone done any DIY for this?

Last edited:
I am quite tempted to put some extra rubber/protection on the toe of my spikes ... has anyone done any DIY for this?

I haven't, but shoe goo would be the way to go.

Do you drag your back foot a lot when you're bowling? That'd be the only reason to do it.

I haven't, but shoe goo would be the way to go.

Do you drag your back foot a lot when you're bowling? That'd be the only reason to do it.

Sorry for not being very clear, actually I was referring to save/protect my toe(s) from in swing Yorkers while batting :D

I am just a part time off spinner btw

Sorry for not being very clear, actually I was referring to save/protect my toe(s) from in swing Yorkers while batting :D

I am just a part time off spinner btw

Hmm... hardly seems worth it. I've played cricket for 22 years and never come close to breaking a toe, and I've never really heard of anybody putting protection on their shoes for that purpose.

Hmm... hardly seems worth it. I've played cricket for 22 years and never come close to breaking a toe, and I've never really heard of anybody putting protection on their shoes for that purpose.

Mathieu Haden had a blue colored extra protection on his toe (will post the photo if I find it).

A freind of mine is a very fast bowler (85-88 mph); we do nets very often. He once got me on the foot, not exactly the toe but close enough ... that made me think about it :)

kookabura old school which are permanent metal studs (dont think they make that kind anymore) and adidas rubber spikes for astro turfs or cemented pitches

Use steel toe shoes ;)

this one hehehe, agar yorker lag bhi gayi to toe nahi ball injured hojaayegi and it even has studs...................... kuch singles lene ke baad, a flat pitch would turn into the pitch of carribean from the 80s

Attachments

• steel toe.jpg
    steel toe.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 236
ohh the first edition three blue stripes, old school CD bhai, i think maybe they are 2005 edition

subhanAllah was going through your kit pictures on the other thread blimey you have a bat collection more than Yousuf bhai carries in his kitbag....... Still remember asked for 1 of his gray nicolls and yousuf bhai had only 4 in his kitbag lol...... wish i had that sort of facilities when i was a teen.....

apne chaht de thallay balleyaan da thaila laan da iraada hai?

after having so many bats, we should expect atleast a 1000 runs from you in a season :)
and shoudl not include friendly matches, warm up matches, proper division league matches :)

Haha InshAllah :)

JazaakAllah Khair for the kind words bhai :)

Bus yaar shouq hai bats ka kafii burra shouq hai LOL ;)

I was also trying to get one of Yousuf Bhais bat but it didn't work out, but I have his autograph on a tapeball bat and that was when I first met him.

I got a good stare from him, because i asked him when i was in 3 days jamaat with him lol ;) once a cricketer always a cricketer

LOL :))

Nahh I believe it was that Yousuf Bhai and co don't wish to talk about cricket when on Jamaat etc :)

i know but i badly wanted that gray nicolls, so at fajr time after my turn of 6 points I asked him lol hahahahaha and trust me i had a good solid stare and a big naseehat hehehe

this one hehehe, agar yorker lag bhi gayi to toe nahi ball injured hojaayegi and it even has studs...................... kuch singles lene ke baad, a flat pitch would turn into the pitch of carribean from the 80s

Ohhh My kind of batting shoes :))

Back