SPS Newbery Krakatoa review!

ExtraCoverDrive

Debutant
Runs
Hello everyone,

So the dream has come true people. I finally got my hands on my dream bat: SPS edition of the Newbery Krakatoa. I could've waited on the purchase of the SPS edition of the bat, since I already have the Players edition of it that I acquired earlier this year. But when rumors spread about Newbery considering the discontinuation of the Krakatoa range, it couldnt be helped. CD bhai helped me find a seller in UK who had a peach of a stick. In fact, he ordered it on my behalf and sealed the deal. Bought it for 475 C dollars. In fact, all the pictures posted here are taken by CD himself as the bat was delivered to his house. Many thanks to CD bhai for taking the pictures for me. My picture taking skills wouldn't do justice to the bat.

SPECS/AESTHETICS:

The bat weights 2.8 lbs although I am yet to verify it on a weighing scale. I can count 13 straight grains cramped up on the willow. Maybe not as straight/well spaced out as the grains on my Players edition, but straight enough to meet my high standards i set for the bats I own :D
There is a tiny knot on the back of the back of the bat which I am told doesnt effect performance of the bat at all. The front face of the bat is just flawless. No knot, no blemish, just perfection to stare at.
The craftsmanship on the bat is as expected on a Newbery SPS version of the bat: Stellar!

PICK UP/FEEL:

Unlike my Players Krakatoa(i will call it PK from here on) which feels like a 2.7 in the pickup department, the SPS actually feels all 2.8 of the actual weight. Having said that, the balance is just unbelievable. It feels meatier and more solid than the PK. My opposition should expect more sixes raining this season :afridi
If the PK scored an A1 in the pickup department, then SPS scores an A1 in the overall balance. Even though I love bats with the lightest possible pickup(thanks to my fawad alam build :D), there is still absolutely no doubt in my mind which bat I will prefer out in the field.
The ping is as it should be on a muscle bat that weights about 2.10. Mind you, this bat weighs about 2.8. The striking aspect of these Krakatoas is that the toe end of the bat pings better than most other bats and this is especially true for the SPS. CD bhai is witness: This bat pings like crazy from the toe too. The soft ping that you come to associate with Newbery bats are there. To be honest, I am not surprised at all. I expected all this from the SPS in my head and Newbery delivered.

OVERALL:

I have absolutely nothing to complain about. No cons whatsoever. 10/10 bat. Absolutely loving owning my very own Newbery Krakatoa SPS. Dream come true really. Again, thanks to CD bhai for making all the arrangements necessary for the purchase of the bat and finally hope you like the pictures :D

DSC05837.jpg

DSC05836.jpg

DSC05845.jpg

DSC05848.jpg

DSC05849.jpg

DSC05850.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Itna joohoot?! :))

Anyways, I can vouch for this bat and can swear that the ping on this bat is one of the best I have ever seen in my life (for a brand new bat) it is amazing!

I myself own a 2.7 lbs Krakatoa Players but believe me or not the pickup on this SPS is much better than mines and it feels amazing! Everything on this SPS is really good, even the toe guard is impressive :))

I don't like getting two of same bats but if I ever buy two of same bat then it will be if I get a Krakatoa which is exactly like this in terms of feel and everything, it is a beauty believe me!

I hope this bat goes well for you, personally I can imagine how the bowlers will feel after seeing you with this blade and you giving them hard time, all the best bro!

Wow! The grains are beautiful!! The grains on this bat are probably the best I have seen after cricketer13 Icon's and Johng CA's, amazing bat!

I hope it serves you well!

One question hope you don't mind me asking it is that where did you buy it and how is the handle on Newbery, are they good?

do Newbery make customs other than the cenkos? Btw CD you should get one if they have any left.

Newbery are well known for being cracking bats from the start. Tim's pressing is first class and he manages to get performance whilst the bat remains durable

do Newbery make customs other than the cenkos? Btw CD you should get one if they have any left.

No don't think so, if you want a custom made bat from Newbery it will be expensive.

Oata nahi if it will be as good as this one

Newbery are well known for being cracking bats from the start. Tim's pressing is first class and he manages to get performance whilst the bat remains durable

I agree, I imagine if they are so good from start then how would they turn out when they are at there peak?

Mate did Thruxton have long middle? Good for both front and back foot? I always liked the shape of Thruxton..

That is a beautiful piece of willow. Really want a Newbery as well now.

No don't think so, if you want a custom made bat from Newbery it will be expensive.

Oata nahi if it will be as good as this one

I agree, I imagine if they are so good from start then how would they turn out when they are at there peak?

Mate did Thruxton have long middle? Good for both front and back foot? I always liked the shape of Thruxton..

Long long middle both forward and back foot shots are a joy with a Thruxton

has anyone else tried other newbery bats like the grizzly, uzi, b52, tt etc. if so, how are they

@silencer

Newbery makes some of the best handles in the market. Theyre traditionally all oval like most english bats out there.

Johng... question for you: It seems most newbery bats out there start to ping well right from the day you buy it. But can we expect these bats to ping a lot better halfway through the season?
also, how long can we expect newberies to play well? especially the sps version. 2 seasons atleast before the ping dies out?

I dont have a scale with me and the weather is pretty bad the next few days here. Wont get to check on the scales till maybe next week sometime. I'll post it as soon as i get the chance. But Asad bhai who sold the bat to me through CD tells me that it is 2.85 lbs on the dot. It holds true when i compare it with my players krakatoa which is infact 2.7 and lighter.
by 2.85, he meant 2.85 without the grips and the toe guard.

They do make custom made, just picked up some pro and grade 1 bats from Tim.
Tim has been making custom made bats for my son(Uzi) for the last 5 years.
Regards

Asad

hi asad, i thought your son was sponsored by SS. so is he using their gear as well?

hi asad, i thought your son was sponsored by SS. so is he using their gear as well?
Yes he is sponsered by SS and will be using SS kit this year.
He carries around 4-5 bats and 2 of those are made by Tim, rest all SS.
Regards

asad

I will try to post his photos, I think Uzair has already seen few. He hand picks his own bats and they are made according to his shape.
He will soon be signing 2 years contract with Gloucestershire contract.
Regards

Asad

MashAllah thats great I have seen some but he gets new bats every time :))

Post them in a separate thread bhai :)

Gooood Question..... Can Wait for CD Bhai to answer.... ( Wish he says TRD:ahmed )

Cover Drive

Where are you these days CD BHAI...... still waiting for your answer???

Was traveling so couldn't reply.

Anyways, out of those two I would say Newbery edges out because of quality. I mean the finishing, handle etc is better on Newbery compared to CA BUT that doesn't mean CA is not good.

At the end if CA scores you mire runs than Newbery then that is good enough for you I'd say.

I wouldn't call it a fair comparison to be honest because Newbery and CA both of those bats mentioned are completely different shape etc but in terms of feel and pickup TRD any day any night boy!

Was traveling so couldn't reply.

Anyways, out of those two I would say Newbery edges out because of quality. I mean the finishing, handle etc is better on Newbery compared to CA BUT that doesn't mean CA is not good.

At the end if CA scores you mire runs than Newbery then that is good enough for you I'd say.

I wouldn't call it a fair comparison to be honest because Newbery and CA both of those bats mentioned are completely different shape etc but in terms of feel and pickup TRD any day any night boy!

Brilliant CD bhai...
GO TRD !!!

Back