Sri Lanka [201] defeat Afghanistan [152] by 34 runs (D/L method) in group stage of 2019 World Cup

Kusal Perera is as talented as Jayasuriya. He is entering his peak years, but unfortunately, Sri Lanka have been reduced to complete mediocrity.

He should have been born a generation earlier and played his peak cricket with Sangakkara, Jayawardene, Dilshan and peak Malinga and Mathews.

He would have formed a lethal opening combo with Dilshan. Better than Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana.

CWI turned around their forutnes by appointing Holder as captain. They look like a completely different side and it is remarkable to see how players like Hope, Braithwaite, Blackwood and others have changed under him.

Sri Lanka needa to do the same with KJP. Has-beens like Mathews, Thiramanne and Chandimal need to be shown the door.

What has caused this level of decline? Pakistan lost 11 matches but even then you knew some batsmen/bowler are of decent quality. SL has not a single world class player in a team of 11. They turned into a complete minnow in 4 years.

The Sri Lankan Board is probably the most political and corrupt in the world. The Sports Minister has to approve every squad !

They have failed to listen to former greats like Sangakkara and Jayawardene who have produced reports calling for governance changes and domestic cricket reforms.

The domestic competitions are of poor standard and the pitches too spin friendly.

This must be excruciating for Kumar Sangakkara to watch from the commentary box.

What has caused this level of decline? Pakistan lost 11 matches but even then you knew some batsmen/bowler are of decent quality. SL has not a single world class player in a team of 11. They turned into a complete minnow in 4 years.

Yes. Between the 2017 Champions Trophy and start of this World Cup, Sri Lanka lost 33 of 44 ODIs.

The talent is still there and I back them to make a comeback. Their performances in South Africa in the Test series a few months ago were remarkable. In fact, better than remarkable. Better than what Pakistan and India collectively achieved. And as long as a team is producing quality Test players, its LOI fortunes will improve.

They just need to back talent like KJP, Mendis and Dickwella. Get rid of Has-beens like Mathews.

Pakistan will have to get Kusal Parera early on Friday, he's the only top class player in this team.

Rain is also predicted for today starting from next half an hour and atleast for couple of hours. Also for all the matches in this week with more than 50 percent for atleast 3-5 hours.

However, weather forecasts in UK change everyday but the %age chance of rain throughout the week on different WC venues at the moment is indeed alarming.

Forecasts coming true for today.

If all forecasts of rain are true, this full week of WC matches will be effected unfortunately.

I know some Afghans gone to this match. There’s one If you see in the crowds, he will most likely to be the shortest 21+ Year old in the crowd, teen looking light complexion about 5ft, that’s him.

If Afghanistan wins. Does anyone see something? First it was BD, then Pak, and if Afg win today. Means 3 muslim (majority) countries winning in 3 days. Perhaps a barakah for doing something good in Ramadhan? Who knows.

If Afghanistan wins. Does anyone see something? First it was BD, then Pak, and if Afg win today. Means 3 muslim (majority) countries winning in 3 days. Perhaps a barakah for doing something good in Ramadhan? Who knows.

It will be over tomorrow right!

Forecasted to rain all day now, whens cut off time.

I wonder if there are some underlying issues with Mathews. He has been a shell of his former-self in what should be his peak. He looks lethargic, demotivated and completely disinterested.

This must be excruciating for Kumar Sangakkara to watch from the commentary box.

Part of the blame for this goes to Kumar Sangakkara himself. He still had a good 2-3 years of world class performances in him, if not more, and yet he chose to retire. This does not mean his decision to retire was wrong. He had a long career and served his nation. However, had he chose to play longer, Sri Lanka would no the have been in the mess it is today.

Instead of playing county or lucrative twenty20 competitions where he still batted brilliantly, he could have swerved his nation for a few more years. Not only would they have benefitted from his performances but his mere presence in the dressing room would have done wonders for young players and future captains like KJP, Dickwella and Mendis.

Why did Australia not go into the transitionary period when it lost it legends? Because Ponting stayed long enough to groom Clarke into the legendary player and World Cup winning captain he ended up becoming. Had Ponting retired earlier, he probably would have averaged 55 but he didn't play for his average and understood that his presence was needed. And then Clarke did the same with Smith, he groomed him and look at how well Smith bats today. Unarguably one of the greatest ever Test batsmen.

I wonder if there are some underlying issues with Mathews. He has been a shell of his former-self in what should be his peak. He looks lethargic, demotivated and completely disinterested.

Hathirasingha and Mathews had a fall out, called him unfit and fat I reckon.

Sri Lankan team seems all over the place at the moment , struggling to score 200 in this tournament so far, absolute turmoil

Taking captaincy away from him may be a factor

Yes really sad to see. I think him being given captaincy number of times and taking it away also I guess effected him. When he started he was one of the best young players around and looked like someone who would have taken over Sanga and Jayawardne as the backbone of Srl along with Chandimal. However, transformation didnt turn out to be smooth.

On SL. Jheez they seem never will replace their legends with something least half decent. Taking forever. Theres no Dilshan, Mahela, Sanga, De Silva, even Russell Arnold type player there and certainly nothing even a little bit of Murali. They have a rich history, cricketing culture of such and such, yet they can’t now produce after their legends or former decent players gone!

I don’t think it’s going to rain tomorrow in London or Southampton, but this game might be over. It’s heavy rain forecast till 4pm, after that even it stops completely, they’ll need few hours before restart.

I don’t think it’s going to rain tomorrow in London or Southampton, but this game might be over. It’s heavy rain forecast till 4pm, after that even it stops completely, they’ll need few hours before restart.

Is this good or bad news for SL?

Is this good or bad news for SL?

Don’t know. This wicket has good pace & carry and a little movement which AFG pacers wasted in first spell, only for Lankans to compensate by self destruction. Recently, on a similar track against IRL, chasing 210, AGFs were all out for 130ish total, therefore you always have a chance against them defending total on a little tricky wicket.

But, I think AFGs will be really unhappy today - brought the game back from no hope situation.

Bad luck for Afghanistan, this would have been a great chance to get a win under their belt to underine their progress.

Was hoping SL would maul Afghanistan but unfortunately rain had to stop play.

Hard to motivate yourself in a team of duds and when you see the team is going nowhere
and everyone is playing aimlessly

That’s why I always give credit to Lara for maintaining his standards when he was stuck in a sea of mediocrity for so many years

Lost count of how many hamstring and calf injuries he's had.

Perera deserves to be captain and the likes of Dickwella and Mendis need to step up and restore Lanka to glory. They have recently shown signs and glimpses of brilliance.
[MENTION=131678]Madplayer[/MENTION] what do you make of Kusal? I've been a fan for a long time but that knock is South Africa has really impressed me.

Kusal is a brilliant talent. That SA knock was stuff of legends hands down. I rated him ever since his debut when he was being compared to Sanath jayasurya. I think his 1 year was wasted by ICC which banned him for substance abuse when infact he was cleared later on. Alas, his important year was wasted and that hampered his progress.

Afghanistan game here, bowl them out in 2 overs. And chase the 180 quickly.

the game is gonna be abandon if it rains again, and thats what the situation looks like.

20 overs minumum need to be bowled for 2nd innings

The match has been reduced to 41 overs per side, the adjusted target most probably will be 14/15 runs less compared to what Sri Lanka will score.

41 overs per side now. Sri Lanka are 182. I would've backed them to get 250 if they had wickets in hand. But 8 overs left and only 2 wickets in hand. Sri Lanka should look to play all the remaining overs and get as much as possible.

Any thing around 220 and Sri Lanka will be in the game

Sri lanka are an absolute shambles.
but for some reason, it does not seem to affect their test team.

Just 10 mins break Sri Lanka are playing full pace attack. They should look to get early wickets.

Lanka middle order was just shocking today. Reminds me of Bangladesh collapsing in the past

Why is the target less than 201??

Because Lanka batted 31 overs and lost 8 wickets which means they aren't expected to bat more than 4/5 overs and all this assuming that they would bat 50 overs thus their score is lowered

Peak Malinga was a sight to behold and he's rolling back the years in this first over firing in these yorkers.

Peak Malinga was a sight to behold and he's rolling back the years in this first over firing in these yorkers.

Pace is missing. They are 128 kmph Yorkers. At his peak, he used to deliver them in excess of 140k's.

Because Lanka batted 31 overs and lost 8 wickets which means they aren't expected to bat more than 4/5 overs and all this assuming that they would bat 50 overs thus their score is lowered

That is so B.S

ICC curators have been excellent. We need varied pitches in ODI cricket not concrete strips producing 700 runs per game.

This kid Zazai reminds me of Sharjeel - not much foot movement, but he has POWER and brilliant in hitting trough the line. Great start by AFGs.

This Zazai has the worst technique imaginable, but his hand-eye co-ordination is right up there with the very best in this WC.

Frustrating to watch if he does this tullaybaazi against Pakistan, but exciting nonetheless.

That is so B.S

Agreed. No way that Sri Lanka's score should have been reduced. The only reason I can think of is that Sri Lanka got their full 10 powerplay overs and Afghanistan will not.

Agreed. No way that Sri Lanka's score should have been reduced. The only reason I can think of is that Sri Lanka got their full 10 powerplay overs and Afghanistan will not.

its something t do with resources consumed and left.

one of the rare occasions where runs were deducted. the dls has too much maths in it, cant understand it, but it is quite logical

Come on Two more wickets and let’s have a close contest. I remember last World Cup when Afridi saved Pakistan from Canada

Hmm, easy way to get Zazai is bowl full within his stumps to frustrate him. Then bowl a wide one outside off to get the nick :yk

Or, take an absolute screamer like Thisara Perera just did. Brilliant catch under pressure.

Back