SS Ranger and SS Premium

wizard_85

Debutant
Runs
Got these 2 beauties from Ajit.

Just going to post the pics right now. I would post a full review once I get the time.

The ping on the bats are awsome, though it needs further knocking.
What really impressed me was Ranger's shape. The spine goes till the bottom of the bat and edges are HUGE, plus the weight is only 2.9

SS Premium has a very good ping and a very light pick up, it is going to be a net bat and Ranger my match bat.

Attachments

• P2275361.jpg
    P2275361.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 570
  • P2275362.jpg
    P2275362.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 513
  • P2275351.jpg
    P2275351.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 482
  • P2275352.jpg
    P2275352.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 481
  • P2275353.jpg
    P2275353.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 481
more pics

Attachments

• P2275355.jpg
    P2275355.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 467
  • P2275357.jpg
    P2275357.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 458
  • P2275358.jpg
    P2275358.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 459
  • P2275359.jpg
    P2275359.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 452
  • P2275364.jpg
    P2275364.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 449
CD bhai can you please re-size the pics?

and yes the handle on the ranger is thicker, than that of Premium.

The grains look conspicuous. Marvelous willow.
Thumps Up!:19:
Saw a green SS 1st time.

Nice bat; the spine of the Ranger runs for a bit longer than the Premium. SS bats all have very similar profiles I must say. Here is wishing that you score a TON with each of these bats :D

Awesome bats...did you not opt for the free knocking and oiling service which Ajit offers? Also, the TON logo on the Ranger looks kinda strange like on a fake bat...the one on the premium is more original looking...or maybe its just me..

Also, noticed that the toe of the Ranger is quite square: quite interesting as SS is known for their well rounded toes. So they are trying to infuse some variety into their bat profiles.

@Smasher: don't worry bud, these are as original as the pyramids of Egypt.

Both bats look so fine. One thing is even I bought an ss 2012 ranger and the spine for that ends before the point where they have TON written on back.
67caa965.jpg

And the toe looks different than the one your bat shows. Not sure which is the real 2012 SS ranger.

Also, noticed that the toe of the Ranger is quite square: quite interesting as SS is known for their well rounded toes. So they are trying to infuse some variety into their bat profiles.

@Smasher: don't worry bud, these are as original as the pyramids of Egypt.

The toe does look interesting...nice.

@Zeusky - I am not doubting if the bats are genuine or fake...to me the TON logo looks like the bat was left out in the rain and the paint ran...hence the curiosity.

Both bats look so fine. One thing is even I bought an ss 2012 ranger and the spine for that ends before the point where they have TON written on back.
67caa965.jpg

And the toe looks different than the one your bat shows. Not sure which is the real 2012 SS ranger.

Where did you get this one from Bro? A pic of the profile would help..do share if possible.

Yes the profile is different to the Ranger I have

How is it playing for you? I haven't tested it as yet, but the ping on the mallet is exceptional

and the side sticker wher it says ranger the silverish semicircle are bigger and closer on the OP's pics

So Op got a fake bat from onlinestockist ? I wanted to buy a SS KP from online stockist but saw some post earlier from CD and others that he was selling some fake bats on EBAY. I didnt buy from onlinestockist at that time. I am still waiting to know if he sells genuine stuff.

The spine may be different but wizard_85's Ranger looks original to me in comparison as the spine on the second one is not really that sharp...and the edges look awesome on wizard_85's Ranger... My vote goes to the first one...

The bats are original for sure. I would a post full review once i have a net session with the bats.

One more question has anyone used both SS Ranger and SS KP ultimate ? I am in a dilemma to decide between these two.SS KP ultimate costs twice as much as SS Ranger. I don't know how they compare on performance.

If you get a good handpicked Ranger, there is no point in going for something so expensive. Remember, higher grade willow on many occasions simply mean 'better looking' willow. SS Ranger is grade 1 anyway. Having used SS bats for a long time, and having had a fair little knowledge of the cricket bat industry in the subcontinent, I would never advise anyone to get anything top of the range. But if you really want to spend the money then there is no harm also. But if you are looking to save money, then you cannot go wrong if you choose your bats carefully.

If you get a good handpicked Ranger, there is no point in going for something so expensive. Remember, higher grade willow on many occasions simply mean 'better looking' willow. SS Ranger is grade 1 anyway. Having used SS bats for a long time, and having had a fair little knowledge of the cricket bat industry in the subcontinent, I would never advise anyone to get anything top of the range. But if you really want to spend the money then there is no harm also. But if you are looking to save money, then you cannot go wrong if you choose your bats carefully.

Thanks zeusky. Awesome description. I think I made my choice. I will go with ranger.

One of my clubmate has a SS KP. The balance on that bat is better and as Zeusky pointed out the grains are much better, but i choose ranger because of the bigger toe and a lower sweet spot as compared to KP and obviously the money factor.
I would give a final verdict after the net session.

One of my clubmate has a SS KP. The balance on that bat is better and as Zeusky pointed out the grains are much better, but i choose ranger because of the bigger toe and a lower sweet spot as compared to KP and obviously the money factor.
I would give a final verdict after the net session.

Awesome. Can you let us know how is the pickup and ping from middle to toe end of the bat. This will help me pick my choice.

The ping is very good and the pick up is light, although it has a low sweet spot

Thanks. Appreciate all the inputs from wizard_85 and zuesky. It really helped me narrow down my choice. I bought two cricket bats earlier a kook blade and an SS viv Richards. But I didnt know know anything about cricket bats at that time. I can now buy this bat with confidence.

Just to warn you though: SS bats are not known for ultra-light pickups mostly because of their profiles. KP has a comparatively higher middle and hence picks up a little lighter. These bats are good for playing on the up as they are a tad bottom heavy. You will get a similar feel in some of the BAS bats, specially those which have been done in that Tendulkar profile.

Thanks. Appreciate all the inputs from wizard_85 and zuesky. It really helped me narrow down my choice. I bought two cricket bats earlier a kook blade and an SS viv Richards. But I didnt know know anything about cricket bats at that time. I can now buy this bat with confidence.

No problem. Glad to help. The SS Ranger will feel better in your hands than the SS Richards that is for sure. You just need to make sure that you get a good one. Best of Luck :D

Mate the season starts in April, I would write a review after that.

Wizard_85 lucky man. I ordered 2.11 and 40mm from onlinestockist. But Looks like he is having trouble finding a 40 mm bat he says he can get 37 mm for sure. he didn't sound confident about 40 mm.

What difference will 3 mm make? All the obsession with edge sizes are really for not that much. I would say-- go for it.

Agree with zeusky...what is important is that the ping is amazing and balance is superb. Which one did u order btw? A Ranger?

I thought about torpedo but I didn't like the look of it. The look doesn't matter if it plays well. Its just me I pay attention to little details.

By looks do you mean the stickers? cos otherwise the Ranger and Torpedo arent really that different...

SS Premium looks an awfully good for a Grade 3 bat.

I hope they both go well for you.

Back