Star Trek vs. Star Wars

Technics 1210

Test Debutant
Runs
I grew up watching both Star Trek and Star Wars. Been there, done that, got loads of T-Shirts. I have no affiliation with either, not really a sci-fi fan, but my experience with the two is mostly influenced by nostalgia and I have wonderful memories.

So during the festive period, my kids who have never seen either, wanted to see what the fuss was about.

We ended up watching the following trilogies (binged each trilogy) in 4K/5.1/75" QLED

Star Trek (2009)
Star Trek - Into the darkness
Star Trek - Beyond

Vs

Star Wars - The force awakens
Star Wars - The last Jedi
Star Wars - The rise of Skywalker

The result was unanimous - Star Trek was the winner. The reason I'm told is it's easier to understand, thus follow, and was all round fun with better action sequences.

For me this was the litmus test in many ways. Neutral new generation viewers voting for Star Trek.

Anyone else think the same or had similar experiences?
[MENTION=7774]Robert[/MENTION]

Loved star wars as a kid but growing up Star trek seems way better.

Side note- firefly is the best.

This is bizarre.

You took the first 3 films of a reboot series and matched them against the 7th, 8th and 9th of a series.

Spock can be explained in isolation that his character is a future version of the existing present day character, from an alternate timeline.

How do you do that with the new star wars trilogy? It is assumed people are watching after having seen the original trilogy at the very least.

You then wonder why star wars made no sense to them?

I'm saying this as a hardcore sci fi fan, a fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars.

And yes, Firefly is the best! Long live the browncoats

This is bizarre.

You took the first 3 films of a reboot series and matched them against the 7th, 8th and 9th of a series.

Spock can be explained in isolation that his character is a future version of the existing present day character, from an alternate timeline.

How do you do that with the new star wars trilogy? It is assumed people are watching after having seen the original trilogy at the very least.

You then wonder why star wars made no sense to them?

I'm saying this as a hardcore sci fi fan, a fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars.

And yes, Firefly is the best! Long live the browncoats

7,8,9 Episodes of Star Wars were also reboots.

1. The Force Awakens was not just a reboot, but a near remake of episode 4 - A New Hope. Rekindle the nostalgia.

2. Episodes 7,8,9 had a female protagonist; if this isn't a reboot then I don't know what is.

Remember, Sci Fi isn't a new genre to kids of today. So the impact of the original Star Wars and Star Trek do not apply here.

I grew up watching both Star Trek and Star Wars. Been there, done that, got loads of T-Shirts. I have no affiliation with either, not really a sci-fi fan, but my experience with the two is mostly influenced by nostalgia and I have wonderful memories.

So during the festive period, my kids who have never seen either, wanted to see what the fuss was about.

We ended up watching the following trilogies (binged each trilogy) in 4K/5.1/75" QLED

Star Trek (2009)
Star Trek - Beyond

Vs

The result was unanimous - Star Trek was the winner. The reason I'm told is it's easier to understand, thus follow, and was all round fun with better action sequences.

For me this was the litmus test in many ways. Neutral new generation viewers voting for Star Trek.

Not sure starting with 7 was the wisest idea. They don’t really establish the mechanics or the lore so I’m not surprised your kids felt Trek was easier to follow - what is the force, how does it work, what are jedi and who are the sith, there’s no understanding your kids have to work with when they show the millennium falcon or refer to Han’s separation from Leia, or even appreciate who Luke Skywalker is and why in the world these people want to find him so badly. That’s just off the top of my head but watching a series after skipping 6 movies was always going to be tough, even if they introduced a new cast of characters. By contrast, Star Trek pretty much told the story from scratch without an assumption that the audience watched the previous shows and movies.

Also, even Star Wars fans have a lot of gripes with the latest trilogy - many hardcore SW fans will also tell you they prefer the Star Trek trilogy, including myself.

Maybe start your kids off with 123 or with 456 if you don’t want to watch all 6. Starting with 789 was a big no no

1. The Force Awakens was not just a reboot, but a near remake of episode 4 - A New Hope. Rekindle the nostalgia.

2. Episodes 7,8,9 had a female protagonist; if this isn't a reboot then I don't know what is.

Remember, Sci Fi isn't a new genre to kids of today. So the impact of the original Star Wars and Star Trek do not apply here.

It’s not a reboot in the strictest sense, since it still assumes you know about character dynamics and relationships and it doesn’t explain how things work. And even if it was a reboot, it’s just not a good set of movies and pretty much every SW fan will tell you they pale in comparison to the older ones.

IMHO star wars hasn't aged well.. with sophisticated teen audience I don’t see why they would prefer any star wars series over other sci fi movies.

The above is all irrelevant.

You're basically saying ST:OS, Next Gen, DS9, Voyager, Picard are all reboots.

Or how about this.

Show them Star Trek IV, V and VI and tell me how much sense they can make of it.

The above is all irrelevant.

You're basically saying ST:OS, Next Gen, DS9, Voyager, Picard are all reboots.

Or how about this.

Show them Star Trek IV, V and VI and tell me how much sense they can make of it.

I don't think you understand.

Kids today have a short attention span purley because of all the tech available. Seldom are they into character development or interest in lore. Back in the 70s and 80s it was a different era and different impact and different attention.

Right now, Star Trek seems to be a winner with non sci-fi fans - people who just enjoy movies for what they are, not what they mean.

Ok then, Sci-Fi experts - recommend me a Star Trek trilogy vs Star Wars trilogy.

You can't compare on movies alone.

Star Trek has a wealth of extended universe material in television to support the movies. Star Wars has only started that since Clone Wars. It's only getting to a comparable stage now.

Star Trek is sci fi. Star wars is sci fi fantasy.

Star trek is more comparable to Andromeda, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica

Star Wars is more comparable, in all honesty, more akin to Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones.

Star Wars lore began in a New Hope. Trek Lore began with the Pike pilot.

The movies can't be compared, just the lore and whether that floats your boat.

You need to acknowledge that the new Star Trek trilogy is more akin to Star Wars in style than actual Trek.

Actual Trek has different flavours, but all come down to hope of a better future for humanity through open mindedness.

I personally don't think Star Trek or Star Wars can be compared or lumped together.

Loved star wars as a kid but growing up Star trek seems way better.

Side note- firefly is the best.

I want to start watching Star Trek but where do I begin? Not just the movies but it has probably thousand hours of TV content starting from 60s, extremely vast.

Star Wars is much simpler since if you watch the movies, The Clone Wars, Rebels you have the franchise more or less covered and much easier to immerse yourself in their future projects, comics etc.

It took me less than a month to be up to date with Star Wars and rewatches take even less time. But I think it will take me a year to cover Star Trek. I would love to hear your suggestion with regards to what all to watch, what to skip, in which order to approach to get the best viewing experience.

Kids today have a short attention span purley because of all the tech available. Seldom are they into character development or interest in lore. Back in the 70s and 80s it was a different era and different impact and different attention.

Right now, Star Trek seems to be a winner with non sci-fi fans - people who just enjoy movies for what they are, not what they mean.

Star Trek Discovery AND Picard v The Mandalorian.

I don't think you comprehend how much Star Wars is ingrained in popular culture.

I'm not arguing either way. I just feel I've got my finger on the pulse with the latest both IP's are coming out with.

Star Trek fans are not happy with the TV and Kurzman, and the movies are in limbo.

Star Wars has just been saved from the dumpster by Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau.

Baby Yoda/The Child (No spoilers) has become an instant cult in the way Tribbles could only dream.

Star Trek Discovery AND Picard v The Mandalorian.

I don't think you comprehend how much Star Wars is ingrained in popular culture.

I'm not arguing either way. I just feel I've got my finger on the pulse with the latest both IP's are coming out with.

Star Trek fans are not happy with the TV and Kurzman, and the movies are in limbo.

Star Wars has just been saved from the dumpster by Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau.

Baby Yoda/The Child (No spoilers) has become an instant cult in the way Tribbles could only dream.

I was born in the 70s. You?

I am willing to bet I can comprehend how Star Wars and Star Trek impacted society and culture back then more than you can, and how both are ingrained today.

I still have the original Millennium Falcon, AT-AT, and Snowspeeder. I also have the original Panini sticker albums for Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi.

Let me ask you another way (I am not arguing either), if I had to introduce the top 3 Star Wars and Star Trek movies to a generation that isn't into Sci-Fi, or a generation that isn't new to Sci-Fi - what would you recommend? Discover/Picard vs Mandalorian? Really?

Last edited:
I want to start watching Star Trek but where do I begin? Not just the movies but it has probably thousand hours of TV content starting from 60s, extremely vast.

Star Wars is much simpler since if you watch the movies, The Clone Wars, Rebels you have the franchise more or less covered and much easier to immerse yourself in their future projects, comics etc.

It took me less than a month to be up to date with Star Wars and rewatches take even less time. But I think it will take me a year to cover Star Trek. I would love to hear your suggestion with regards to what all to watch, what to skip, in which order to approach to get the best viewing experience.

Start with the first 6 Star Trek movies. You will get a complete flavour of what that crew was like and honestly, the main highlights of their exploits. You wont get much out the series.

Then you start watching Star Trek The Next Generation Series. This will ultimately tie in with the original crew in Star Trek Generations the movie and bring closure. Not to mention, the original crew will be sprinkled throught the different series in cameos or flashbacks.

Then you move onto Deep Space 9.

Watch ST First Contact.

Watch all of Voyager.

Watch ST Nemesis.

Just skip Enterprise lol

Now you watch the latest reboot of Star Trek movies, you will really appreciate it, as it ties in with both the original series and movies as well as the other Star Trek series.

Then you watch Picard, which ties in with a certain aspect of the reboot movies.

ST Discovery is a tricky one. If you choose to invest in the original series, then Didcovery will be wholesome and rewarding.

I personally would suggest watching Discovery and going back to watch maybe a few specifically selected episodes of the original series.

You're right, there is a lot, with some extreme highs, and extreme lows (Voyager, reptile babies lol).

But it's an incredibly rich universe with some excellent story telling.

Star Trek is a winner even with scifi fans though? And even with Star Wars fans! Who in the world liked this new Star Wars trilogy more than the new Star Trek trilogy? Even those that liked this new trilogy didn’t love it

Star Trek is a winner even with scifi fans though? And even with Star Wars fans! Who in the world liked this new Star Wars trilogy more than the new Star Trek trilogy? Even those that liked this new trilogy didn’t love it

My Mrs is the most placid of movie watchers. When I ask her what she thinks of a movie, it's typically 1 of 2 responses, either 'theek thi', or 'faltoo'.

When she watched the Star Trek trilogy in the OP, she responded with a rare 'zabardast'.

I was born in the 70s. You?

I am willing to bet I can comprehend how Star Wars and Star Trek impacted society and culture back then more than you can, and how both are ingrained today.

I still have the original Millennium Falcon, AT-AT, and Snowspeeder. I also have the original Panini sticker albums for Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi.

Let me ask you another way (I am not arguing either), if I had to introduce the top 3 Star Wars and Star Trek movies to a generation that isn't into Sci-Fi, or a generation that isn't new to Sci-Fi - what would you recommend? Discover/Picard vs Mandalorian? Really?

I was born in the mid 80s, so I'd say there's at least a decade between us.

I'm not disputing the effect of either. What I am saying though is that Star Trek was dying a death by the 6th movie. The crew was old, had run its course. Star Wars never went away.

TNG breathed new life into the franchise, admittedly.

Let's not pretend though that "Beam me up, Scotty" can compete with "May the Force be with you" or that Khan Noonian Singh has the recognition of Darth Vader amongst casuals.

If you wanted to introduce a new generation to sci fi, then Star Trek as a series would be your port of call. Or Battlestar Galactica. Firefly and Serenity! Movie wise though? Just get Inception, Interstellar and Tenet out. Blade Runner and 2049. Top notch sci fi.

As I said before, the theme of space and technology may be similar, but Star Wars fits in the fantasy mould and scratches the itch that things like Willow, The Dark Crystal or Lord of the Rings would.

But then the topic of conversation now is completely different.

Which are the better movies. Star Trek reboot or ep 7 8 and 9?

Of course ST movies will be. They are coherent in their nature because they start from ground zero, with only 1 reference to an iconic character, who is rebooted in te same movie.

You sit down to watch ep 7 fresh, if youve never seen any the previous 6 movies, even the name Skywalker won't mean anything and people will wonder why the hell the helmeted guy is speaking to a melted head. Lol.

Sorry, I just don't see how you can base a general question of Star Trek or Star Wars by setting the parameters of a fresh new story with a story that has 40 years behind it.

If you mean strictly speaking about the movies, again, it was the equivalent of asking someone to rate lotr trilogy with harry potter last 3 or 4 movies and asking which is better (anyone who even asks that should just... give up on life).

Start with the first 6 Star Trek movies. You will get a complete flavour of what that crew was like and honestly, the main highlights of their exploits. You wont get much out the series.

Then you start watching Star Trek The Next Generation Series. This will ultimately tie in with the original crew in Star Trek Generations the movie and bring closure. Not to mention, the original crew will be sprinkled throught the different series in cameos or flashbacks.

Watch ST First Contact.

Watch all of Voyager.

Watch ST Nemesis.

Just skip Enterprise lol

Now you watch the latest reboot of Star Trek movies, you will really appreciate it, as it ties in with both the original series and movies as well as the other Star Trek series.

Then you watch Picard, which ties in with a certain aspect of the reboot movies.

ST Discovery is a tricky one. If you choose to invest in the original series, then Didcovery will be wholesome and rewarding.

I personally would suggest watching Discovery and going back to watch maybe a few specifically selected episodes of the original series.

You're right, there is a lot, with some extreme highs, and extreme lows (Voyager, reptile babies lol).

Top post [MENTION=143530]Swashbuckler[/MENTION] ..

But then the topic of conversation now is completely different.

Which are the better movies. Star Trek reboot or ep 7 8 and 9?

Of course ST movies will be. They are coherent in their nature because they start from ground zero, with only 1 reference to an iconic character, who is rebooted in te same movie.

You sit down to watch ep 7 fresh, if youve never seen any the previous 6 movies, even the name Skywalker won't mean anything and people will wonder why the hell the helmeted guy is speaking to a melted head. Lol.

Sorry, I just don't see how you can base a general question of Star Trek or Star Wars by setting the parameters of a fresh new story with a story that has 40 years behind it.

If you mean strictly speaking about the movies, again, it was the equivalent of asking someone to rate lotr trilogy with harry potter last 3 or 4 movies and asking which is better (anyone who even asks that should just... give up on life).

Bruv. You've responded twice to the same post of mine in polaroid opposites. Either you have not read my posts, or you're in warp speed.

Star Wars is all nostalgia. Yet to see Star Trek but the original show and the next generation have been on my watch list for a while. Heard they deal with some really interesting and mature stuff

Star Trek (2009)
Star Trek - Beyond

Vs

Interesting question as I have been watching original Trek with cleaned up effects on Netflix and am impressed at how well most of it holds up - the quality of character writing and universal moral allegories carry it through.

I found the first Abrams Trek reboot ok. I liked Into Darkness because Cumberbatch added quality, and it was interesting to hear the old lines restated in a different context. Beyond was a dull mess with limp script.

I liked the recent SW trilogy, because it evoked the original trilogy I watched in the Odeons as a teenager. Force was ok, a nice retelling of A New Hope with compelling new characters in Rey and Finn, and returning friends Han and Chewie. Last Jedi was too long with the space horses subplot that went nowhere. I liked Skywalker best as it rounded the long saga off in an emotionally satisfying way, returning to the old Lars and Beru place. And Chewie finally got his medal!

I was born in the mid 80s, so I'd say there's at least a decade between us.

I'm not disputing the effect of either. What I am saying though is that Star Trek was dying a death by the 6th movie. The crew was old, had run its course. Star Wars never went away.

TNG breathed new life into the franchise, admittedly.

Let's not pretend though that "Beam me up, Scotty" can compete with "May the Force be with you" or that Khan Noonian Singh has the recognition of Darth Vader amongst casuals.

If you wanted to introduce a new generation to sci fi, then Star Trek as a series would be your port of call. Or Battlestar Galactica. Firefly and Serenity! Movie wise though? Just get Inception, Interstellar and Tenet out. Blade Runner and 2049. Top notch sci fi.

As I said before, the theme of space and technology may be similar, but Star Wars fits in the fantasy mould and scratches the itch that things like Willow, The Dark Crystal or Lord of the Rings would.

IMO, Undiscovered Country is the best ST movie of the lot. Sparkling script, with the old warhorses knowing they are near to pasture, yet with one last gallop in them. They ended on a high, unlike TNG which had that unsatisfying coda in Nemesis. So glad that Sir Patrick got a better swan song in Picard, and Jeri Ryan got a better role than in Voyager.

Kirk never said “Beam me up Scotty”.

Haven't seen any Star Trek so can't comment on that, but someone watching Star Wars from Episode 7 will understandably be confused. Better off starting with the original trilogy, even if the visuals are understandably outdated

I was never really a massive Star Wars fan so I have to admit I haven't seen any of the later ones. I tried watching Revenge of the Sith and it went right over my head, and I also tried watching one of the prequels which were made most recently, and again I found it hard work. It was the one with the black actor and the female lead, don't recall her name.

Star Trek reboots really caught my imagination though, they were some of my favourite films in recent times, especially the first one.

My best SF series by decade:

1960s: Star Trek
1970s: Doctor Who
1980s: nothing remarkable
1990s: Babylon 5
2000s: BSG reboot (with a nod to Firefly)
2010s: Rick and Morty, or The Expanse

Best SF film by decade:

1960s: a golden age but I will go for 2001 - A Space Odsysey
1970s: hard to look past Alien but I will go for Star Wars - A New Hope
1980s: Blade Runner
1990s: The Matrix
2000s: The War of the Worlds (Spielberg version)
2010: Interstellar

Watch ST First Contact.

Watch all of Voyager.

Watch ST Nemesis.

Just skip Enterprise lol

Thanks a lot, very helpful.

Watch ST First Contact.

Watch all of Voyager.

Watch ST Nemesis.

Just skip Enterprise lol

Lots of TOS episodes hold up well. Doomsday Machine, City of the Edge of Forever, Plato’s Stepchildren, Day of the Dove, Trouble with Tribbles, Assignment Earth, Mirror Mirror. These stories are the heartwood of Star Trek.

Watch the even-numbered original crew ST films only.

All of TNG after season 3 is worth a good look, and all the films bar Nemesis.

I didn’t like DS9 at all, found it draggy and unengaging, basically a weaker version of Babylon 5.

Voyager is a waste of time.

I never watched Enterprise.

Picard is pretty good after a slow start, the best thing since TNG.

I gave Discovery four episodes before switching off.

Ok, interesting twist, we watched Rogue One, and the kids loved it! It's probably my favourite Star Wars movie too (after the E4) and the last sequence with Darth Vader is worth the wait!

Ok, interesting twist, we watched Rogue One, and the kids loved it! It's probably my favourite Star Wars movie too (after the E4) and the last sequence with Darth Vader is worth the wait!

I was going to suggest this - it fits your description for a movie heavy on action scenes, and not much lore it requires you to know since all the characters are unrelated to anything that’s come before (except Vader).

Glad you liked it! Definitely my favorite movie from the ones that came out this decade. You should try Solo too, it wasn’t my cup of tea but I believe kids really liked it

Back