Test matches you wish you could forget?

JibranAnsari

ODI Captain
Runs
Pakistan Vs South Africa Capetown 2013

Pakistan Vs Australia Sydney 2010

Pakistan Vs Australia Hobart 1999

Sydney Test match.

Not just the worst Test but the worst match ever for Pakistan in the last 21 years I have been following them.

Easily beats WC semi-final 2011 loss for me.

All these test matches were also the do or die test matches for pakistan. All second of the series.

Lords 2010, Sydney 2010, And a test match v sl in 2009 or something. Oh yeah and lahore 2009

Last edited:
Lords 2010.

Those 2 would have ruled world cricket...
Losing a test can happen but that we lost hundreds of wickets !

Quite a few of them since the start of 2012 to be honest.

Being an England fan seems to run in cycles. You have 3 glorious years then 3 crap ones then 3 glorious ones etc. Rinse and repeat.

Sydney Test match.

Not just the worst Test but the worst match ever for Pakistan in the last 21 years I have been following them.

Easily beats WC semi-final 2011 loss for me.

agree with everything you said and feel the same way having watched pak for the last 18 odd years, ive never been pushed to the level of kicking a table in anger and injuring my toe in any other match. that was horrible.

contrary to others sentiment imo lords 2010 needed to happen, and if lessons are learnt from it, it could be one of the most important junctures in pak cricket.

contrary to others sentiment imo lords 2010 needed to happen, and if lessons are learnt from it, it could be one of the most important junctures in pak cricket.

I know what you mean.

I originally came into this thread to say 'Adelaide 2006' and be done with it, but looking back it was a good thing that we somehow contrived to lose that game and series. It exposed all of the shortcomings in the setup and sparked the Schofield Report, which led to great success later on such as winning aboard, 3 Ashes on the bounce, the no.1 Test rank, a vastly improved attitude and ability in ODI cricket, and the T20 World Cup.

Hopefully this latest 2013 Ashes debacle will have similar long-term effects.

I love my memories. Good or bad, the bad ones i cherish even more because they make me hungrier. :moyo

agree with everything you said and feel the same way having watched pak for the last 18 odd years, ive never been pushed to the level of kicking a table in anger and injuring my toe in any other match. that was horrible.

I couldn't go to sleep for a few hours after the match was over. Till this day I still can't figure how Pak lost that match. Ian Chappell sounded stunned as well, seemed just as ****** off as the Pak fans.
I agree with Lords though. Painful but a greater good came out of it.

Can't figure it out? IMO you lost the match because it was fixed.

Occam's Razor; in such a bizarre series of instances, it's the only thing that ties them all together and makes sense.

+1 to this, in the long term it can be good, and could resolve some "alleged" issues behind Pakistan underachieving at times despite producing such talent, specially when you see how Misbah is doing with limited talent as compared to past.

Last edited:
People are wanting to forget Lords 2010. Removing that would mean Salman Butt as captain, Farhat still in the setup and not many wins for Pakistan due to match-fixers in our squad. IIRC the no-ball took place at the Oval and it was revealed on the 4th day of the Lords test match so we wouldn't know but we could still have been cheated on, as we speak.

As a result of that, Misbah is captain and Pakistan have won some crucial test series and drawn some against some very good teams. Where we've lost, we been seen fighting till the end.

Sydney, though was a real heartbreak. We literally ran over Australia until that weird partnership. Then again it led to us removing MoYo as captain and dropping some players like Faisal Iqbal.

Last edited:
I love my memories. Good or bad, the bad ones i cherish even more because they make me hungrier. :moyo

+1

Never forget the SL test where they got attacked by the terrorists.

or 2010 where we lost three cricketers to spot fixing.

or the Sydnie test, Sharjah test vs Aus, or the J'berg test vs SA.

Bad memories serve a purpose, that of a warning.

Future cricketers should remember and be warned by the Sydnie and 2010 spot fixing tests. You WILL get caught. Next Asifs and Amirs wont even bother attempting.

Our batsmen and our first class system should be warned by 49 all out test. Improvement comes after realization.

And PCB, our govt, our people should remember the SL team bus test. Never forget the embarrassment and pledge to destroy terrorism.

Sydney 2009: How on earth did we lose that ? Can't believe some people still vouch for Kamran Akmal to be in the team after that performance :facepalm:
Lords 2010: The aftereffects may have been good in the long term but it was still shameful stuff. Lost two of our best fast bowling talents too (although one of them was a repeat offender)
Harare 2013: Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned already. Quite humiliating to lose to a minnow.

Can't figure it out? IMO you lost the match because it was fixed.

Occam's Razor; in such a bizarre series of instances, it's the only thing that ties them all together and makes sense.

Yeah it probably was the case even though the ICC said there was nothing they could find. Still a very bitter pill to swallow.

Harare 2013: Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned already. Quite humiliating to lose to a minnow.

maybe because those of us with a long enough memory have already seen a worse series loss against zim at home

ive never minded any of the losses, sydney was in another league though, had a chance to beat one of the best teams away from home and literally threw it away.

Yeah it probably was the case even though the ICC said there was nothing they could find. Still a very bitter pill to swallow.

even if the icc had suspicions they would never open that can of worms imo, would bring the game into too much disrepute and neither did the icc have the competence to launch a inquiry thorough enough to have have lead to bans.

Last edited:
ElRaja said:
maybe because those of us with a long enough memory have already seen a worse series loss against zim at home

ive never minded any of the losses, sydney was in another league though, had a chance to beat one of the best teams away from home and literally threw it away.

Yeah I heard of that but I started following cricket seriously since WT20 2009. I was free during that time and watched all the games of the tournament and we won and that really developed a love for the game for me. In tests I started watching seriously since England 2010. Followed the Australian series too. Sydney was just :facepalm:

As an England fan, pretty much every time we tour Australia or Pakistan ( exception 2010/11). We don't just get beat, we get humiliated

Yea i agree completely becuase eventhough we lost the mohali semi final i've still rewatched that match many times becuase it makes me want pakistan to win even more everytime i remember the match.

Reason that the Sydney test did not hurt was because you could clearly see the player's were simply not intrested in winning so it was clear we were not going to win.

Headingley 1992.

We were behind the game for of it but had Gooch been given run out and then Gower caught bat-pad: I'm sure we would've won even though England were only chasing 99.

Any tests where Moin Khan was captain. Don't recall anything good happening in the period.

Hobart 99, still hurts. I felt had Pakistan won that match they would have won the series. Probably it was Pakistan's best XI ever.

Eden Park - Matt Prior :(

2013, SA v Ind - Last 2 overs left a sour taste, previous 448 overs were top shelf stuff, but I still can't get over those 2 overs!

Last edited:
Sydney 2010.
only time I have watched Australia win and felt sick because it was so obviously rigged.

Sydney 2010 and Cape Toen 2013.

Should have won both of them easily.

The Sydney Test was a big choke (or much more nefarious, if you're inclined to think that way).

Cape Town was winnable, but a much less embarrassing defeat: Pakistan ultimately got outclassed by Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn and Vernon Philander. Steyn's bowling to YK in Pak's second innings was Marshallesque IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

South Africa v Pakistan at Capetown 2013

England v Pakistan at Lord's 2010

Australia v Pakistan at Sydney 2010

there's been so many!

virtually every tour to Oz, WI, SA & Eng since 99 has contained huge disappointment

the home test series drubbing by India

the ridiculous collapses in so many test matches we have had pretty much ever since inzi stepped down

Sydney 2010 for me was and will ever be the most painful memory. I was in shock for almost 2-3 days. How on earth did we lose that :facepalm:

That windies test is a good shout, I remember absolutely fuming over that Doctrove decision. He's always screwed us. I was so mad even though I was only 11 lol

I remember I was 8ish or most probably 9 years old when I saw that. Seriously that was some dubious Umpiring. I believe if a nine year old can see you cheating :facepalm: you are not doing a good job my friend

Surprising no pakistani mentioned the test loss to zimbabwe in 2013.

Oh that one where West Indies bowled us out for 50 was pretty bad. One of those rare games where a nailed-on draw suddenly turns into an innings (!) loss. Came straight after the KP captaincy fiasco and was genuinely one of the most hopeless and embarrassing things ever. I think we were 25-8 at one point.

Sydney 2010.
only time I have watched Australia win and felt sick because it was so obviously rigged.
Agree.

Didn't like the fact that we lost from a winning position, but watching it definitely had doubts it was rigged. Was uncomfortable viewing.

Oh the last test after the trio was caught was bad viewing. Was so bad though, didn't bother viewing much of it.

Sydney was unfortunate because although bad viewing, I didn't want to turn away because I desperately wanted Pakistan to win.

Quite a few people have said Capetown 2013. Don't understand why, we were battling out with the Saffers looking like their equals. Close defeats do hurt a lot in the short term but at the end of the day, I'd take that over a one-sided hammering.

That Zimbabwe loss was a real disappointment. Players were just too complacent.

I couldn't go to sleep for a few hours after the match was over. Till this day I still can't figure how Pak lost that match. Ian Chappell sounded stunned as well, seemed just as ****** off as the Pak fans.

I agree with Lords though. Painful but a greater good came out of it.

I second that Sydney 2010 and lord 2010...

After Sydney test, I thought it will take us another decade to beat AUS, that defeat was very hard to digest, it was not choking, it was selling the match!!!

Lord 2010, after watching one of the best spell by Amir a day earlier, we saw the end of great double As, some thing that will take decade to over come :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The test where SL team was attacked.

Those who are saying lords 2010 you should be ashamed of yourselves, siding with people who put Pakistans name in the dirt after only a few people wanted to play them to begin with. Same old pakistani sentiments that forgives and forgets corruption so easily.

Last edited:
This test loss. We had one hand on a series lead at the end of day 2. Now our awful tail collapsed and were struggling to bundle out SL. Wow

The test where SL team was attacked.

Those who are saying lords 2010 you should be ashamed of yourselves, siding with people who put Pakistans name in the dirt after only a few people wanted to play them to begin with. Same old pakistani sentiments that forgives and forgets corruption so easily.

How does someone saying they wish to forget Lords 2010 misery equate to siding with the cheaters? Have a word yourself :91:

Whether this ends up as a draw or a loss this will be one of them too. So disappointing after bundling them out for 204 on Day 1

Headingley 1992.

We were behind the game for of it but had Gooch been given run out and then Gower caught bat-pad: I'm sure we would've won even though England were only chasing 99.

That Gooch run-out looked hugely fishy. He was out by miles. Did anyone appeal?

The loss to SL Colombo (PSS) 2009

We were leading the test match through the game but couldnt chase 168. The second game was another major disappointment, after great partnership between Fawad & YK, we collapsed miserably.

That tour was the point when things were looking very bright for us, Fawad, Aamir and Umar made fantastic debuts, Ajmal had his test debut, YK was in sublime form as a captain. But the oath taking brigade messed it up with those collapses and eventually, YK fell out of favour. Always felt there were dark shadows involved in those epic collapses

Pakistan v South Africa - Faisalabad Test 1997

Pakistan v Australia - Hobart Test 1999 (robbed by umpires)

Pakistan v West Indies - Antigua Test 2000 (robbed by Doug Cowie)

Pakistan v England - Karachi Test 2000

Pakistan v Sri Lanka - Galle Test 2009

Pakistan v Australia - Sydney Test 2010

Pakistan v England - Lord's Test 2010

Pakistan v South Africa - Cape town Test 2013

Pakistan v Sri Lanka - Abu Dhabi Test 2013/14

Sydney 09 test looked like a guaranteed win, but then after all the catches dropped and batting collapse it turned out to be one of the worst matches (as others have also suggested). I didn't actually stay awake to watch that match, but followed it all through out from both Cricinfo and highlights.

Along with that the Lords test (which I did watch) and brilliant bowling to spot fixing which wasn't expected at all. Day 5 (I think) was probably the worst after all the news and the players named still coming to bat.

I remember I was 8ish or most probably 9 years old when I saw that. Seriously that was some dubious Umpiring. I believe if a nine year old can see you cheating :facepalm: you are not doing a good job my friend

I didn't know who to hate more, Doctrove or Jimmy Adams.

I didn't know who to hate more, Doctrove or Jimmy Adams.

I'd definitely go with Jimmy. Those were clearly out and there is something known as walking in the spirit of the game. Although jimmy did tour Pak with the various other aging national players a few years back so I think we can forgive him. As for doctrove, he was just being ................doctrove

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCG 2016 - should've drawn a rain affected Test on a featherbed

Abu Dhabi 2017 vs SL

Abu Dhabi 2018 vs NZ (thanks Azhar)

Manchester 2020

The list of meltdowns is neverending. Don't know why we keep bothering and emotionally investing in these mentally weak chokers.

Back