The aftermath of India winning an ICC tournament, what is to be expected next?

Major

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
Every time India has won an ICC trophy, their image has increased and cricket world has gone through major changes.

When they won the first World T20 in 2007, while IPL was in the works already, but the image of IPL grew and a BCCI that was reluctant about T20 cricket and World T20s, decided to give a ahead on a T20 league and its format. Thus, the cash cow started flowing.

When they won the 2011 World Cup, cricket again changed, with India gaining more power and the big three concept foundation was laid down, where the amount of money to be taken was to be decided by BCCI as it became a major stakeholder

Could the cricket world go through another shakedown after this win. These shakedowns could be for good or bad

What shakedown ? India has world cricket in its grip for good or bad already.

If anything this win is likely to amplify the BCCI vs franchises cold war that started to gain traction last year following Rohit vs Hardik fiasco.

Franchises want ipl to be expanded, bcci knows if unchecked IPL will swallow bcci and national cricket. Look at the way Hardik was literally poached by Ambani after he was made t20I captain and then how Hardik, Iyer and Ishant defied bcci diktat and focused on ipl over tests. And how despite logic Rohit was brought back as T20I captain in place of Hardik who was thought to have led in t20i WC too.

This win will definitely make Shah stronger but his focus will be to re establish BCCI superiority in Indian cricket including IPL. This could be good news for world cricket (or maybe not, if likes of UAE t20 and all continue to spawn).

An increased window of IPL with number of teams increased or may be a light version of IPL towards the end of the year.(which I'm totally against BTW. I lost interest during halfway of the tournament this year till KO stage. 2 months is long duration).

Can see Champions trophy becoming a t20 format instead.of odi and I am all for it. T20s are just the future and not odis and this is coming from a test aficionado. Change is an ongoing process and we just have to embrace it

Every time India has won an ICC trophy, their image has increased and cricket world has gone through major changes.

When they won the first World T20 in 2007, while IPL was in the works already, but the image of IPL grew and a BCCI that was reluctant about T20 cricket and World T20s, decided to give a ahead on a T20 league and its format. Thus, the cash cow started flowing.

When they won the 2011 World Cup, cricket again changed, with India gaining more power and the big three concept foundation was laid down, where the amount of money to be taken was to be decided by BCCI as it became a major stakeholder

Could the cricket world go through another shakedown after this win. These shakedowns could be for good or bad
I like to think that Vaughn's prediction will come true :)

If anything this win is likely to amplify the BCCI vs franchises cold war that started to gain traction last year following Rohit vs Hardik fiasco.

Franchises want ipl to be expanded, bcci knows if unchecked IPL will swallow bcci and national cricket. Look at the way Hardik was literally poached by Ambani after he was made t20I captain and then how Hardik, Iyer and Ishant defied bcci diktat and focused on ipl over tests. And how despite logic Rohit was brought back as T20I captain in place of Hardik who was thought to have led in t20i WC too.

This win will definitely make Shah stronger but his focus will be to re establish BCCI superiority in Indian cricket including IPL. This could be good news for world cricket (or maybe not, if likes of UAE t20 and all continue to spawn).
you just answered your own question

One of my friends who works with Rajasthan Cricket Association says BCCI will definitely add two more teams by 2026. I can't definitely say that he is just speculating or really has some inside info on this.

1. IPL will have an exclusive and window and no team like NZ and England will like to recall players in the middle of the tournament.
2. Champions League might see revival (will need a lot of tweaks about which players play where) in a few years
3. Champions Trophy might be scrapped
4. With impending retirement of Kohli and Rohit from ODI too, ODI cricket might see its last world cup in 2027, If India doesnt win it.
5. IPL franchises will start playing some friendly games in USA and expand
6. With England bumbling hard, the 100 might fade away soon.

As much as i wish this to happen, Other than India, Australia and England, who wants to play test cricket?
NZ and SA too. Others just pretend to not wanna play Test Cricket because they are not good enough for the format. The day they get world class youngsters, you will see the interest in Test Cricket rise again.

One of my friends who works with Rajasthan Cricket Association says BCCI will definitely add two more teams by 2026. I can't definitely say that he is just speculating or really has some inside info on this.
Yeah it is inevitable. This will also reduce the control of other franchises especially CSK and MI. But at the same time it will be wary about expanding ipl too much and national cricket losing its sheen

Just now Focus on how to win third consecutive series in australia.

Then we can think about champions trophy .

Yeah it is inevitable. This will also reduce the control of other franchises especially CSK and MI. But at the same time it will be wary about expanding ipl too much and national cricket losing its sheen
CSK MI are absolutely dangerous, what Ambani did was bonkers .. I understand they want to win but nonsense behaviour.
You are right about Kishan as well, don’t want that guy near our team, he is bad news.
Franchise need to be brought under BCCi control, they will never invest in grass root cricket.

The biggest shakedown will be Pakistan Cricket getting marginalised further as Indias grip on cricket administration increases.

Focus now on test cricket. The Border Gavaskar Trophy in Australia in Dec 2024 should be the only target for now. Need to make it 3 in a row in Australia !
We should send all our newbies(Jaiswal, Gill,Jurel) to aus in prior for good practice.kd must be there in the team

Expect plenty of fun trolling of Pakistan, Pakistani players by Indians for the next few weeks.

If you are optimistic, this will drive up the pressure from the Cricket fans on the PCB to take the Pakistani team to task finally.

We should send all our newbies(Jaiswal, Gill,Jurel) to aus in prior for good practice.kd must be there in the team
Gill loves Aussie conditions. His stroke play is best suited for flat and good bounce wickets of Aus.
Jaiswal I agree and whenever there is some good pace I have seen him struggle against it. So far he's had an amazing debut but on QI and Indian wickets. It would do a world of good if he prepares well in advance for Aus.
Jurel is 2nd choice wk after Panr. And he too loves spin bowling more than pace.

I really wish India selected Vihary in the squad for the experience he can bring.

IPL will grow even more now with even more sponsorship money flowing in. All the sponsors would want to cash in the afterglow by sponsoring more, getting more players for endorsements and what not. It might well be that the next mega auction will be even more bids with eye watering money thrown around.

Gill loves Aussie conditions. His stroke play is best suited for flat and good bounce wickets of Aus.
Jaiswal I agree and whenever there is some good pace I have seen him struggle against it. So far he's had an amazing debut but on QI and Indian wickets.
Jurel is 2nd choice wk after Panr. And he too loves spin bowling more than pace. .
I will like to throw kl out of team,so jurel seems to be reasonable bet as a batsman in tough situations. I don't want iyer,sarfaraz dancing against bouncers.
Vihari is out of favour as he keeps on blocking and no intent to score

Jaiswal I agree and whenever there is some good pace I have seen him struggle against it. So far he's had an amazing debut but on QI and Indian wickets. It would do a world of good if he prepares well in advance for Aus.
Jurel is 2nd choice wk after Panr. And he too loves spin bowling more than pace.

I really wish India selected Vihary in the squad for the experience he can bring.

India will definitely send them ahead of main tour to play for India A .

Jasiwal need a months practice in australia to get the Ideas of the condition amd bounced .

Jasiwal
Rohit
Gill
Virat
Pant (Wk)

Most likely this is top 5 .

But who will be selected for at 6 ( batsman) as Iyer can't play on bouncy conditions

Ash , Jadeja likely to be spinner's and back up is kuldeep

Who are the three Pacers - Bumrah is automatic choice ,

Shami is still not fit so not sure about him .

Siraj is hot and cold .

Akashdeep is another Bowler who eill fet chance if he will be fit

What are the other options we have ?

I will like to throw kl out of team,so jurel seems to be reasonable bet as a batsman in tough situations. I don't want iyer,sarfaraz dancing against bouncers.
Vihari is out of favour as he keeps on blocking and no intent to score
Pujara basically played epic knocks by being defensive. So I don't think it should matter if Vihary wants to play such a game. But it's just a wish and not going to happen unless a miracle happens. Vihary is not in good touch either.

I'd back KL to perform better than Iyer and likes in Aus. Anyway the key to winning in Aus is all about bowling and crunch batting. 80% it's about bowling and I hope we emulate our performances in 2018 and 2021.

However the disadvantage is that there isn't much to play for. We have already proven ourselves twice in Aus. And our batters are just coming off a high in t20 wc. Usually that leads to disastrous performances.

I'd be surprised if India manages to draw this series.

India will definitely send them ahead of main tour to play for India A .

Jasiwal need a months practice in australia to get the Ideas of the condition amd bounced .

Jasiwal
Rohit
Gill
Virat
Pant (Wk)

Most likely this is top 5 .

But who will be selected for at 6 ( batsman) as Iyer can't play on bouncy conditions

Ash , Jadeja likely to be spinner's and back up is kuldeep

Who are the three Pacers - Bumrah is automatic choice ,

Shami is still not fit so not sure about him .

Siraj is hot and cold .

Akashdeep is another Bowler who eill fet chance if he will be fit

What are the other options we have ?
KL Rahul vs Sarfaraz Khan toss up.

Also possible that India might spring a surprise and opt for Axar ahead of Jadeja considering his height and form. Also Kuldeep might pip Ashwin.

Rohit
Jais
Gill
VK
Pant
KL / Sarfaraz
Axar
Kuldeep
Bumrah
Shami
Siraj

I believe this will be the end of the two memes.

The qudrat ka nizam meme by Pakistan and the Jay Shah script memes.

I'd be surprised if India manages to draw this series.
We have still 6 months away from series and gambhir is coming.if dravid,I was not having much of hopes. Gambhir will be very determined to make most of the first away big series

As much as i wish this to happen, Other than India, Australia and England, who wants to play test cricket?
The players become more skillful in facing various situations only in test cricket. The test cricket is called so because the conditions test the player. We already see the team which plays more test cricket has more depth. It becomes better for cricket if other full members of ICC also play more test cricket. Sri Lanka around 2014 didn't play test cricket for more than year. We see where they are now.

The aftermath is that my respect for the Indian team has now increased even further.

They have the skills but the pressure these guys play under is 50x more than our idiots. And to deliver such consistency in reaching finals is unprecedented for any other team.

Bumrah, Rohit, Sky, Pandya and then Kohli eventually. The big players all stood up.

KL Rahul vs Sarfaraz Khan toss up.

Also possible that India might spring a surprise and opt for Axar ahead of Jadeja considering his height and form. Also Kuldeep might pip Ashwin.

Rohit
Jais
Gill
VK
Pant
KL / Sarfaraz
Axar
Kuldeep
Bumrah
Shami
Siraj
i like this 11. this may be the best at this moment

They already enjoy 38% of the total revenue , their t20 league has 2 months window , more than half of the t20 franchise in the world are owned by their cronies , they only play with who they want to play
The aftermath will be Pakistan CT2025 hosting will be in jeopardy with a hybrid model will jump in don't be surprised if India plays all their matches in Bangladesh including final.

Very good thread, makes you think.

OP I’d add 1983 WC to that list as well because it had a massive impact on how we Indians saw the short form of the game.

Prior to 1983 the players, fans and the system was indifferent to ODIs. It was only after the WC win that interest in white ball cricket really grew in India and set the course of the next few decades, one that would lead to global financial domination. The euphoria of that win was unbelievable, we beat the Windies twice, and Indians saw that they could get good at this.

Now, on topic:

1. I just think that this win will give a little more ‘respectability’ to the IPL as a cauldron for new talent to emerge, in kud a quality benchmark.

2. At the same time it also does the opposite- it reconfirms the primacy of WC tourneys compared to the IPL in the minds of fans and player. There is not even a hundredth of the celebration at an IPL final win, as there was yesterday.

3. Confidence - this is as important as anything else. We won under the worst situations in games we should have most (Pakistan, SA definitely). For these players, and also the following generation, this will be an important driver of self belief. Whether it helps to win more tournaments is another question; it probably will. But in the meantime Indian players know they’re good enough to win from any point.

Very good thread, makes you think.

OP I’d add 1983 WC to that list as well because it had a massive impact on how we Indians saw the short form of the game.

Prior to 1983 the players, fans and the system was indifferent to ODIs. It was only after the WC win that interest in white ball cricket really green in India and set the course of the next few decades. The euphoria of that win was unbelievable, we beat the Windies twice, and Indians saw that they could get good at this.

Now, on topic:

1. I just think that this win will give a little more ‘respectability’ to the IPL as a cauldron for new talent to emerge, in kud a quality benchmark.

2. At the same time it also does the opposite- it reconfirms the primacy of WC tourneys compared to the IPL in the minds of fans and player. There is not even a hundredth of the celebration at an IPL final win, as there was yesterday.

3. Confidence - this is as important as anything else. We won under the worst situations in games we should have most (Pakistan, SA definitely). For these players, and also the following generation, this will be an important driver of self belief. Whether it helps to win more tournaments is another question; it probably will. But in the meantime Indian players know they’re good enough to win from any point.
1983 world cup gave you guys tendulkar basically.

IPL will grow even more now with even more sponsorship money flowing in. All the sponsors would want to cash in the afterglow by sponsoring more, getting more players for endorsements and what not. It might well be that the next mega auction will be even more bids with eye watering money thrown around.
Yeah...much as we're awed by the explosion of money in cricket and in particular, the IPL, it's going to pale in comparison to what's coming in the next few years.

All the hullabaloo about IPL value and it's still small fish in the global sports rights market.
Screenshot_2024-06-30-13-55-05-76_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

ICC media rights are too small to show here.

There's massive amounts of money sloshing around in India and it has to go somewhere. I could easily see the media rights doubling or tripling in the next cycle. That will make IPL cricket incredibly powerful and we have to be prepared to deal with that. No point the ICC and various boards closing their eyes and hoping the problem goes away.

wow NFL is so big, its like 12 IPLs, how is this fake football league so big with only 200million people watching this

10 IPLs. I've never understood the fascination either. It's such a stop start game. It is an essential element of American culture though.
yeah but at most 200 million Americans like this, rest of the world dont even want to call it football.

yeah but at most 200 million Americans like this, rest of the world dont even want to call it football.
True. That aside what's interesting is that no Chinese league shows up. Of course part of the value of the media rights for leagues like the Premier League, La Liga and the NBA is from the Chinese market but all that money is leaving their country...not benefiting it.

The CCP can't control everything obviously but it's surprising they're allowing this.

wow NFL is so big, its like 12 IPLs, how is this fake football league so big with only 200million people watching this
It's massive in Europe too, can be seen with the craze when some of the games are played there. It has a considerable following in India too nowadays

India???? really?? whats the difference between this sport and rugby
Apart from the obvious protective equipment in American Football, Rugby is still mostly a team sport, American Football in my opinion is more catered to individuals. Rugby you always have to pass backwards so the team moves together, not so in American Football as the quarterback can ping the ball anywhere

As I always say, it is not the size of the population watching. It is how much disposable income the population watching that matters.

That is exactly why the NFL is what it is. It is our national pass time.

Disposable income of watching population is also why US is the fourth largest revenue source for cricket. A country where the game is in it's infancy and we have already overtaken everyone except the B3 in market potential!

Downfall of India in T20is, they dont have replacement of Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli
I think replacing Rohit and Kohli is the least of our worries. India's batting factory is tried and tested and has been producing a couple of all-time greats plus support in every generation for 50 years now.

It's the bowling we have to keep an eye on. No young bowlers are knocking the doors down and forcing selection. There's a few promising prospects but we need that next lynchpin or two in their early 20s to have broken through by now. No reason to panic yet - after all both Bumrah and Kuldeep have 4 to 5 years to go but it's starting to be a little concerning.

Gautam Gambhir said while talking to local media outlet:

“They have retired with the World Cup win, and probably better than any script that was written. Both players are great. They have done a lot for Indian cricket, and congratulate them and wish them all the best.”

“But they are going to play two more formats – Test cricket and ODI cricket. I am sure they are going to keep contributing to the country and the team.”

Untrue

Gaikwad or Gill can easily replace Kohli if that’s the type of player you want.

Abhishek Sharma is waiting on the wings to take over as India’s big six hitter opener if Jaiswal isnt up to the mark.
I am sure Gill and Gaikwad are out of Virat's league

Gaikwad is so overrated that it's not even funny. He is basically a bit faster version of KL.
He’s ok for number 3 if you want him to anchor

Guessing by the way Gambhir set up the KKR side, he won’t be playing an anchor in the side. His anchor will probably be Iyer batting at 4 or 5

Pakistani players and fans are being trolled by Indians on twitter, Instagram and the Pakistani fans are taking all the Pakistani players to task brutally and mocking them, why are you not as good as your Indian counter parts?

PCB is now under severe public pressure to take these players too task and to be honest this was the need of the hour. You can't keep letting the PSL franchises and commercial sponsorship, political connections keep driving your decisions forever.

Virat had 2 POTT in T20 WC around 2014-2016. Doubt these guys are at that level.
Kohli was almost 26 years in 2014, Gill is almost 25 years old.
Basically Gill should own CT next year. :p
Both came and faded a bit in the first few years of their careers.
Gaikwad is 27 and Jaiswal is just 22. They have time to emulate the King.
No one thought anyone could match Tendulkar either.

Untrue

Abhishek Sharma is waiting on the wings to take over as India’s big six hitter opener if Jaiswal isnt up to the mark.
Gaikwad was found completely against burger and co in sa .Abhishek sharma will be tried out and may be Gill at 3 for anchoring or sky will occupy for more aggression.

I am sure Gill and Gaikwad are out of Virat's league
I don't think any one from next gen will be in superstars league .But as a team they will be great.India will be moved away from superstars culture for good because of that and gambhir will not tolerate it

Jaiswal
Abhishek
Gill
Sky
Pant
Rinku
Pandya
Axar
Kd
Bumrah
Arshdeep/siraj/Mayank

Nothing much would change. The only difference I expect is that the current T20i format would continue and more teams would be introduced to the T20 world cup

Untrue

Gaikwad? Lol. No.

It’s never one to one replacement and teams shouldn’t look for that either, rather look for the entire team dynamic, we performed as a team this wc and it’s there for everyone to see.

Whenever we have been top heavy we have lost, Rohit management realized this and kept Axar Dube Pandya Sky for they and they delivered in patches required.

It’s never one to one replacement and teams shouldn’t look for that either, rather look for the entire team dynamic, we performed as a team this wc and it’s there for everyone to see.

Whenever we have been top heavy we have lost, Rohit management realized this and kept Axar Dube Pandya Sky for they and they delivered in patches required.

Gill
Jaiswal
Samson
Jurel
Sharma
Iyer
Riyan parag
Sai Sudarshan
Rinku

I think we have enough batting options.

Gill
Jaiswal
Samson
Jurel
Sharma
Iyer
Riyan parag
Sai Sudarshan
Rinku

I think we have enough batting options.
All I care is about middle order we got dozen openers always.
Sharma and Rinku is who I care about.. and Jaiswal at top,lets see.

With all due respest aint no one scared of gambhir haha but I will say Indian team will be very strong and have a chance to win more trophies now

Scared in the sense that while Dravid is very pragmatic and had no real power in terms of selections , GG has political connections and is someone who is likely to get the players he wants . And he is just as competent/honest as Dravid.

So, India's white ball cricket will actually improve further understanding him.

Back