The eerie 1994 Test series between New Zealand and Pakistan with some lessons

TheSultan

Post of the Week winner
Runs
Post of the Week
I remember this series well. For some reason in the UK we got live coverage of this via TV Asia. A very strange series with a very strange vibe.

This was the first test series after the revolt against Wasim Akram’s captaincy.

Salim Malik took over the captaincy. Under normal circumstances this would have been a really good series to look forward to - the return of Saeed Anwar to test cricket, middle order of Malik, Inzamam, Basit Ali, the more reliable Rashid Latif after Moin’s dropathon vs West Indies in 1993, Wasim, Waqar, mushy.

Pakistan bowled first and everyone seemed to be treading on eggshells. Wasim wasn’t speaking to most of the team, waqar wasn’t speaking wasim and a couple of others. Coupled with the usual lack of spirit of the kiwi crowds (that’s if they turned up) at the time.

Both Wasim and Waqar were bowling professionally and maintained control and skill without the outward passion. Every wicket wasn’t much of a celebration or an event - wicket taken, a couple of lowkey high 5s and carry on.

This became the theme of this series. Pakistan wrapped up the series after the second game and NZ got a consolation win in the final game. The bonus of this series was watching Saeed score a beautiful big hundred.

Salim Malik as well documented played a master stroke by using wasim and waqar’s differences to motivate the other (look, he’s ready to run through the team, are you?).

Result - Wasim took 25 wickets and Waqar 18 over just 3 tests.

What’s the lesson here? A lot of people in the pcb were a bit fed up of wasim particularly, but Waqar too. It would have taken a couple of poor performances and the excuse was ready to drop either or both.

Both continued their high level of performance and their place in the team became unquestioned.

Conpare this to Shaheen. Naturally not happy after being backstabbed, reports of “misbehaving” - the PCB are looking to drop him. What does he do - give lacklustre performances giving the pcb exactly what they needed. As Rashid Latif said, they killed two birds with ones stone.

I’m not saying Waqar and wasim were great team men. Even if their motivation was self preservation, they did something about it. Shaheen basically just gave up. And that sums up the mentality of the current crop of players.

We’re probably seeing the same thing with babar too.

Lol at the comparison of Shaheen with Wasim. He's not fit at all

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point and it goes back to what I said in the Shaheen thread.

The PCB "did him dirty" as the saying goes. His knee injury was appallingly mismanaged and removing him as captain after just one series was grossly unjust.

However he's not the first player mistrated by PCB. Instead of sulking, the best way to slap PCB on the face is to perform and besides, it's Pakistan ! You'll get another turn as captain especially as Shan can hardly hold a place in the team while Babar proved a failure.

Now he doesn't even make the side.

Good point and it goes back to what I said in the Shaheen thread.

The PCB "did him dirty" as the saying goes. His knee injury was appallingly mismanaged and removing him as captain after just one series was grossly unjust.

However he's not the first player mistrated by PCB. Instead of sulking, the best way to slap PCB on the face is to perform and besides, it's Pakistan ! You'll get another turn as captain especially as Shan can hardly hold a place in the team while Babar proved a failure.

Now he doesn't even make the side.
temptation from leagues is too high, wasim and waqar would have lumped their pak career if they could have made league money like players can do now. wasim missed pak games to play for Lancashire if memory serves correct. also as has been said, shaheen, technically, isnt fit to lace wasims boots.

guys like tanvir, imad, amir, malik, etc have made more money outside of their pak careers than playing for pak.

imagine if you were in their shoes, knowing the risk of injury in test cricket, the appalling manner in which the PCB manages injuries, the treatment of players who fall by the wayside and the lack of a safety net. can you honestly say you'd want to give you all to play for pak, it just doesnt make logical sense.

the saying, "khuch shehr dai log vi zalam san, khuch sanu maran da shok vi si", "the people of the city were cruel, but i also wanted to die a bit", applies. its an enormous mess but the fundamental cause is the lack of professionalism of the pcb.

temptation from leagues is too high, wasim and waqar would have lumped their pak career if they could have made league money like players can do now. wasim missed pak games to play for Lancashire if memory serves correct. also as has been said, shaheen, technically, isnt fit to lace wasims boots.

guys like tanvir, imad, amir, malik, etc have made more money outside of their pak careers than playing for pak.

imagine if you were in their shoes, knowing the risk of injury in test cricket, the appalling manner in which the PCB manages injuries, the treatment of players who fall by the wayside and the lack of a safety net. can you honestly say you'd want to give you all to play for pak, it just doesnt make logical sense.

the saying, "khuch shehr dai log vi zalam san, khuch sanu maran da shok vi si", "the people of the city were cruel, but i also wanted to die a bit", applies. its an enormous mess but the fundamental cause is the lack of professionalism of the pcb.

This is a good point. Ahmed Shehzad has started investing heavily in his YT channel and he is by the looks of it already looking to plan his life outside playing cricket. The players have more options now when it comes to making money to be dependent on PCB.

The thing is Shaheen wasn't looking too good even when he had the leadership. This downfall of his has been a continuous one after his injury.

I don't think it's just team chemistry with him.

I think people are missing the point here. It’s not a comparison of ability, greatness etc (I assumed it was obvious) but let me clarify if it was lost.

Naturally Shaheen is not fit to lace wasim and waqar’s boots.

The point I’m trying to make here is that wasim turned a difficult situation to a positive one and that is the best response when you feel the world is against you.

and yes Shaheen does not have the ability wasim does. However is body language and attitude was not of someone trying very hard. You should at least be trying

This also highlights the spoilt nature of our current cricketers. You could apply the same argument to babar too

I think people are missing the point here. It’s not a comparison of ability, greatness etc (I assumed it was obvious) but let me clarify if it was lost.

Naturally Shaheen is not fit to lace wasim and waqar’s boots.

The point I’m trying to make here is that wasim turned a difficult situation to a positive one and that is the best response when you feel the world is against you.

and yes Shaheen does not have the ability wasim does. However is body language and attitude was not of someone trying very hard. You should at least be trying

This also highlights the spoilt nature of our current cricketers. You could apply the same argument to babar too
wasim also made a lot of money off of the pak team, before lionising him we need to understand he aint no angel. and tbh i find it easier not investing in a technically useless bunch of players not destined to win anything, than the hurt of watching some of the greatest players of their generation failing again and again, and who in hindsight were never gonna win anything anyway. what am i getting at? siyanon kai liya ishara hi kafi hai.

wasim also made a lot of money off of the pak team, before lionising him we need to understand he aint no angel. and tbh i find it easier not investing in a technically useless bunch of players not destined to win anything, than the hurt of watching some of the greatest players of their generation failing again and again, and who in hindsight were never gonna win anything anyway. what am i getting at? siyanon kai liya ishara hi kafi hai.
I’m not talking about making money off the Pakistan team. I’m simply saying to babar, Shaheen and co, stop being little wimps and at least try to perform on the pitch.

Making money, leagues etc is another matter

The problem is that the modern players just don't play enough FC games. Cannot compare Shaheen with Wasim or Waqar. Wasim played 104 Tests but had 257 FC games, Waqar played 87 Tests and had 228 FC games. This shows that both played lots of FC games and kept working on their skills even when they were not playing for Pakistan. What do current bowlers do to improve? County cricket was a huge advantage for bowlers in that era. Now when Shaheen is dropped, how is he supposed to improve and get back? He will probably play some T20 leagues or white ball cricket for Pakistan. He will never improve his long format bowling. You are actually saying that Shaheen can just flip a switch and bowl better but that is not the case. It would require him to go away work harder on his fitness and bowling, play a few FC games and then come back into the playing XI. That is not going to happen in this era.

The problem is that the modern players just don't play enough FC games. Cannot compare Shaheen with Wasim or Waqar. Wasim played 104 Tests but had 257 FC games, Waqar played 87 Tests and had 228 FC games. This shows that both played lots of FC games and kept working on their skills even when they were not playing for Pakistan. What do current bowlers do to improve? County cricket was a huge advantage for bowlers in that era. Now when Shaheen is dropped, how is he supposed to improve and get back? He will probably play some T20 leagues or white ball cricket for Pakistan. He will never improve his long format bowling. You are actually saying that Shaheen can just flip a switch and bowl better but that is not the case. It would require him to go away work harder on his fitness and bowling, play a few FC games and then come back into the playing XI. That is not going to happen in this era.
I’m not saying he can flick a switch.

Personally I haven’t ever rated him very highly, but I’m talking about effort. He’s looked lethargic and disinterested. What will it take for these to be up for a game. What will it take for these guys to have some fire in their belly.

This is not about skill. This is about effort.

Last edited by a moderator:

Which is why i am fully supporting this Champions 4 day tournaments being launched by the PCB which is meant to be played on a home and away basis. The idea behind this is to include the top performers from the Quaid-e-Azam, Presidents Cup, U-19, Emerging players into these teams so that the best 100-150 players are selected in the tournament and where the mentors appointed by the PCB i.e. Shoaib Malik, Sarfaraz, Misbah, Waqar, Saqlain Mushtaq will behave like the directors of the teams and they will over sea the coaches, physios and captains.

Apparently each team will be given targets to un earth openers, middle order batsmen, all rounds, brisk pacers, new ball bowlers with control and to fine tune any technical deficiencies. The top performers in this tournament will be considered for selection for the Pakistani national team, Shaheen team e.t.c.

The idea is to play this tournament during the off season where the Pakistani team has no international commitments and the players will be available to play this tournament. The only problem is scheduling i.e. when will the PCB be able to play this tournament in Pakistan because the months from June to August are very hot and tough to play cricket.

I’m not saying he can flick a switch.

Personally I haven’t ever rated him very highly, but I’m talking about effort. He’s looked lethargic and disinterested. What will it take for these to be up for a game. What will it take for these guys to have some fire in their belly.

This is not about skill. This is about effort.

Very simple, drop them from the team and ban their NOC's. Even a retired player has to request for permission from NOC's from his board to play leagues. Given the poor quality performances of our players, their league options will dry up. Then see them begging the PCB like Umar Akmal is doing now to give them a chance in the team.

Every major cricket board i.e. Cricket Australia, England, BCCI have taken actions against some big players i.e. Andrew Symonds, Kevin Pieterson to send the message that one individual no matter how good he is not bigger than the team.

Comparisons with bowlers of yesteryear never ends well. They played under very different conditions and were not subject to the same scrutiny.

There is nothing to suggest that Shaheen and Naseem arent trying their best.

Comparisons with bowlers of yesteryear never ends well. They played under very different conditions and were not subject to the same scrutiny.

There is nothing to suggest that Shaheen and Naseem arent trying their best.
Again I see people see struggling to read. There was no comparison, there were lessons.

how can I tell they’re not trying? Look at their pace? Especially Shaheen ( I didn’t actually mention Naseem).

If I was a fast bowler and wasn’t very skilful, believe I would be steaming in when I want to prove a point. That is what they do.

I would much rather fast bowlers go out on their shield than go down with a whimper.

I would much rather a fast bowler be criticised for trying to bowl too fast than to just go down with an anonymous whimper.

Again I see people see struggling to read. There was no comparison, there were lessons.

how can I tell they’re not trying? Look at their pace? Especially Shaheen ( I didn’t actually mention Naseem).

If I was a fast bowler and wasn’t very skilful, believe I would be steaming in when I want to prove a point. That is what they do.

I would much rather fast bowlers go out on their shield than go down with a whimper.

I would much rather a fast bowler be criticised for trying to bowl too fast than to just go down with an anonymous whimper.
Then that's not a good way to judge if a player is trying or not. Shaheen is putting in the effort but the action is not what it was and he isnt able to find it with his rhythm.

Then that's not a good way to judge if a player is trying or not. Shaheen is putting in the effort but the action is not what it was and he isnt able to find it with his rhythm.
Do you know this for a fact? There is no intent in his run up, his body language is dead. What more do you need?

gar tum siyaane hote . toh Pakistan ke greatest ever left arm seamer ke liye izzat se baat karte

fixer or not ....everyone knows what many asian, western players used to do back then. careers were short , and evone needed bucks. am not saying fixing was a good thing or is a good thing .. but i can assure u a lot of matches used to be fixed in that era. Many took part in it.

That aside ... 100 test matches 350 plus Odis , with type 1 diabetes. Here malai da dona Afridi cant even last 100 odis 30 tests and few t20s ..

He needs time away from the game like Bumrah did.

Aajkal de jawakan che o gal kithe ...ae .... de fan aey ...

Akram , Kapil dev jede fit bande kithe , gym bodies cant match long bowling legends like them

Back