The Greatest Test Match Ever Involving India?

W63L35

Post of the Week winner
Runs
Post of the Week
As test cricket approaches it's 200th test match at Lords between England and India, I ask Indian fans which you think was the best ever test match involving India?

Lets have some opinions on which match it was and what made it so great?

A few spring to mind straight away, but let's see what everyone has to say :)

Saj.... hope you don't mind the plagiarism!
:)

India's most perfect victory - Leeds 2002
Most exciting match - v Aus Chennai 2000-01

kolkata 2001 - how on earth can anybody forget it???
perth-2008
mohali-2010

vs eng-chennai 2008

Calcutta 2001 for me.

Turning point for Indian cricket imo. Turned a team of mental midgets into one who believed they could beat anyone on their day.

Calcutta 2001 for me.

Turning point for Indian cricket imo. Turned a team of mental midgets into one who believed they could beat anyone on their day.
Don't think Indians were mm though they combined beautifully as a unit thereafter under SG where we saw individual performances taking a back seat & team Blue coming to to the fore !

The match against Australia , at Eden. It is one of the best, in fact it is among the top 10 ever.

vs windies 1976- chased 406 with sunny and vishy scoring 100s.

perfect!!!

I guess you missed the title of this forum if you're gonna bring that up eh?

:))) Poison

Apart from the match Poison posted and in a more serious note it just has to be the match against the Aussies in 2001 doesnt it?

Eden garden match has to be the best ever involving India, no doubt ! The one in which India chased 406 in WI has to be a close 2nd !

Eden 2001 turned Indian cricket on its head...infact one of the best ever matches the World has witnessed let alone India...From then we have never looked back...

The Eden Gardens triumph is probabaly the greatest test match ever

My vote is for the Eden Garden test. The win that transformed Indian cricket team.

Best test winnning-of course eden gardens.was in my school then in 2001,and as usual we would be talking about how we were going to lose badly.The next day during lunch when we were listeningto the radio vvs and dravid were batting,then during interval again these guys still batting,when i returned home evening was totally shocked.

Best test losing-ind vs pakistan 1999 which i had watched last 3 days in the ground.The amount of thrill during watching that match was 20 times more than most matches these days

in Kolkata vs Australia
in Mohali vs England
in Mohali vs Australia
in Multan vs Pakistan

Why is this even a question? Every on God's green earth knows that it simply HAS to be Eden Gardens 2001.

Eden 2011 was special, one of those rare occassions where our team came from behind and won it, just set a precedent for things to come in Indian cricket.

India vs Australia at Mohali was special too, Laxman and Ishant taking us through to victory.

Aussies were having an invincible team, won 16 straight matches, IND got bowled out cheaply again in that test match 1st innings, following on.....

Result after 2 days was IND won on the final day final session, 2001 Calcutta test @ Eden gardens is the best ever TEST match .. period

Before that match i was pessimistic about IND cricket team, that gave me a lot of confidence that we can win from any position.

@OP

naqal karo tu aaql say...

its not the 200th test, rather 2000th test

Well, if was an expert in "naqal" like you are then ... there would not have been a mistake (typo)...... and how we would have known that you are such a genius who caught it. ;-)

Last edited:
Has to be Chennai 1999 or Karachi 2006. What a start to the test! Hat trick by Pathan!

kolkata 2001 - how on earth can anybody forget it???
perth-2008
mohali-2010

vs eng-chennai 2008

Calcutta 2001 for me.

kolkata 2001

The match against Australia , at Eden. It is one of the best, in fact it is among the top 10 ever.

Australia game in kolkotta followed closely by Pakistan in Chennai..

Eden garden match has to be the best ever involving India, no doubt ! The one in which India chased 406 in WI has to be a close 2nd !

Eden 2001 turned Indian cricket on its head...infact one of the best ever matches the World has witnessed let alone India...From then we have never looked back...

The Eden Gardens triumph is probabaly the greatest test match ever

My vote is for the Eden Garden test. The win that transformed Indian cricket team.

Best test winnning-of course eden gardens.was in my school then in 2001,and as usual we would be talking about how we were going to lose badly.The next day during lunch when we were listeningto the radio vvs and dravid were batting,then during interval again these guys still batting,when i returned home evening was totally shocked.

Best test losing-ind vs pakistan 1999 which i had watched last 3 days in the ground.The amount of thrill during watching that match was 20 times more than most matches these days

in Kolkata vs Australia
in Mohali vs England
in Mohali vs Australia
in Multan vs Pakistan

Calcutta 2001 ...vs Aussies ....lax , Wall and Bhajji

Why is this even a question? Every on God's green earth knows that it simply HAS to be Eden Gardens 2001.

Eden 2011 was special, one of those rare occassions where our team came from behind and won it, just set a precedent for things to come in Indian cricket.

India vs Australia at Mohali was special too, Laxman and Ishant taking us through to victory.

Aussies were having an invincible team, won 16 straight matches, IND got bowled out cheaply again in that test match 1st innings, following on.....

Result after 2 days was IND won on the final day final session, 2001 Calcutta test @ Eden gardens is the best ever TEST match .. period

Before that match i was pessimistic about IND cricket team, that gave me a lot of confidence that we can win from any position.

Case closed :22:

1971 when Chandrashekar demolished England for a series win away.We became men that day.

1971 when Chandrashekar demolished England for a series win away.We became men that day.

So, in other words, you guys had sex change operation that day! :p

India vs Pakistan, Kumble's 10 wickets.

Afridi was on fire till he got out, his one looked not out to me.

Kolkata 2001 was simply epic. The match turned on his head in last 2 days.
Perth 2008 , great win after monkeygate scandal.
Melbourne 1981. Another scandal hit test in Australia led to amazing victory for us.

Some of the below that created in their own sorts some kind of history ...

1. Kolkata 2001-- Ind v/s Australia. One of the greatest comebacks in test history against one of the best teams ever.

2. Chennai 1986 -- Ind v/s Australia. Test ended in a tie, but India went for the target on final day with over 340 runs at nearly 4 runs/over and made a fist of the match.

3. Port of Spain 1976 -- Ind v/s West Indies. Made the then highest winning score chasing and that too on WI soil. This win made Clive Lloyd rethink his team's bowling strategy and adopted for a four fearsome bowling machine soon after.

4. The Oval 1971 -- Ind v/s England. India's first test victory on English soil. Long awaited victory which tried to wipe away some of the misery of previous English tours.

5. Perth 2008 -- Ind v/s Australia. India displayed great mettle to win on a hard and bouncy track amid the great deal of controversy raging over the previous test.

Bump!

21 years since that epic test match in Kolkata!

How time flies :)

Kolkata 2001 is the best Test match involving India I have seen.

That came against an ATG Australian team.

For Indian fans, Gabba 2021 has overtaken Kolkata 2001 as best Indian win

Gabba 2021 and Kolkata 2001 are the greatest Indian wins.

Gabba 2021 is sure greatest achievement but for me MCG was better one getting bowled out for 36,then coming back at next text to win is surely impossible.

Eden Garden 2001 by a country mile, every other major win in test cricket is compared to that high benchmark.

For me it is the 1999 test when we beat India at the Chennai test by 12 runs. Can't ever forget Saqi dismissing Sachin in that nail biter. Even Sachin once said that test is one of his biggest regrets when Saqi got him to play a poor shot.

Unquestionably the Calcutta test of 2001. It is almost impossible to expound how critical that test match was for India. It is unimaginable how the turnaround happened - to be behind Australia's score by nearly 300 runs and to actually win the test match in the dying minutes of last day - was stuff of legends.

If there was ever an appropriate time to use BEFORE and AFTER - this test match was it - India never really looked back after this - there were obviously setbacks after this but for most Indian fans a permanent belief in the ability of the Indian team to bounce back never faded after this series.

Unquestionably the Calcutta test of 2001. It is almost impossible to expound how critical that test match was for India. It is unimaginable how the turnaround happened - to be behind Australia's score by nearly 300 runs and to actually win the test match in the dying minutes of last day - was stuff of legends.

If there was ever an appropriate time to use BEFORE and AFTER - this test match was it - India never really looked back after this - there were obviously setbacks after this but for most Indian fans a permanent belief in the ability of the Indian team to bounce back never faded after this series.

Funny - Australia have played 18 tests in India after that series but not a single game in Kolkata.

On a personal level, it has to be the 2006 Karachi test.

But objectively, I have to go with 2001 Kolkata test. Which is probably a strong contender for the greatest match of all-time too.

And the impact of that match is felt on Australian cricket to this day, which is perhaps the most remarkable thing about it.

2001 Kolkata test.

Lords 2021 and Gabba 2021 were also amazing victories.

Back