The Long Farewell thread: Which Pakistan players should be axed after the 2024 ICC T20 World Cup?

Cpt. Rishwat

T20I Captain
Runs
Let's look on the bright side guys, once this group stage is done we can say farewell to some longstanding losers who have been an embarrassment to the legacy of Pakistan cricket.

Chacha Ifti is done, probably Imad and Amir as well.

Which other players are looking forward to waving off into the sunset?

nope, these guys aint going anywhere, the real depressing fact is that there isnt very many players who have been hard done by. maybe mo haris, and no one else.

babar and riz control this team completely, and they will not relinguish that power as its the core of their branding to sell themselves to leagues.

Still shocking these idiots dropped Haris from this T20 side.

Ball hogging top order players is what we encourage in Pakistan, why are we then surprised we have no middle order batsman?

Apart from Babar, Fakhar, Shaheen and Naseem, everyone should go.

But I’m sure this will not happen. When the management is not appointed on merit, they will not appoint the team on merit as well. There are no professionals who would dig up the domestic leagues and find talented players. We will keep on selecting players for National team if someone has performed in one PSL game and failed in others.

No one is doing there job properly. The likes of Iftikhar, Azam khan and usman khan should be no where near the national team.

Nahi nahi Ab Babar aur Rizwan ko 20 saal aur khilao
They have had their opportunity. Thank you for their service.

But we need to introduce young blood in this format. The next WC is two years away.

For the first time i now think the most important person to leave the T20 set up should be Babar.
I'm gutted to say this as I truly believe he is one of our best but his negative influence on the T20 team needs to go.

Along with about 10 other players..

Haris would do the same as Usman K.

We need to define what a middle order batter. Playing since he was 8, IQ over 110, solid technique.
lol, paks average iq is sub 100, you looking for 110+ iq rules out 2/3 of the population. give me geniuses like shahid afridi, umar akmal, and imran nazir over a middle order of imad, shadab and usman any day.

Ideally only 4 of the current XI (Barbar, Rizwan, Shaheen and Naseem) should be anywhere near the national team. Even those 4 have been subpar for a while and shouldn't be guaranteed spaces. But realistically there is a lack of talent in Pakistan, so the replacements won't be much of an upgrade.
The mindset from grassroots is all wrong and the more progressive teams keep on pulling away. Pakistan is currently only slightly above SL and WI due to the size of population and popularity of the sport.

nope, these guys aint going anywhere, the real depressing fact is that there isnt very many players who have been hard done by. maybe mo haris, and no one else.

babar and riz control this team completely, and they will not relinguish that power as its the core of their branding to sell themselves to leagues.

I watched the PSL and you are right there is not a lot of talent there. But there were a few bright sparks like Abrar the spinner, and if the old guard can be moved along then it will give the younger players like Saim Ayub a chance to try and establish themselves.

Babar and Rizwan will still hold their place in the side on merit just about, but there can't be a way back for the over 30 flops who have never had any type of reputation to begin with.

I watched the PSL and you are right there is not a lot of talent there. But there were a few bright sparks like Abrar the spinner, and if the old guard can be moved along then it will give the younger players like Saim Ayub a chance to try and establish themselves.

Babar and Rizwan will still hold their place in the side on merit just about, but there can't be a way back for the over 30 flops who have never had any type of reputation to begin with.
unfortunately it is babar and rizwan, and their defensive style of play which curtails and punishes any natural flair young players might have.

rizwan deserves his spot as the keeper bat who plays some good innings every now and again, babar hasnt played an innings of merit in any important white ball games since NZ WC game 5 years ago.

Nothing cooking up in Pakistan talent pool. We have to wait for a decade to become a decent team of the domestic circuit improves.

Captain saab, i think you of all people should know better, none of them will be axed.

When the 2023 world cup ended. I was dead sure that shadabs career was over. There was no possible way shadab would be back.

There was no possible way that azam khan would play for pakistan or even Amir getting to play.

Or, on top of all, Babar returning as captain.

Thing is, shadab, imad and amir should had been long gone. Yet they were retained and bought back.

Except for Babar (the batter), Rizwan, shaheen, fakhar, naseem, shaheen and rauf, none of the other guys deserve to retain their spots.

The careers of imad, iftikhar, shadab, usman, azam khan, babar the captain and amir should be ended.

But you know what, we forget very easily. We will forget that amir lost us the match to USA as he bowled well today. Simiarly we forgot how bad shadab was because shadab batted well against USA and did nothing here today.

I have accepted and learned, as a cricket fan, any idiot can now player for Pakistan. So just keep quite and support these guys and hope for the best. We cant have our way. Either some fat kid will get selected, or some guy who looks sexy while diving will.

One thing that i liked about the 2011 till 2015 era was that, you knew imran farhat was a parchi and will play every series, but when it came to icc tournaments, the pcb used to sit down and get serious for atleast one tournament where theybwould kake sure not to select parchi players.

Now things have gotten out of control.

Abrar ahmed should had played atleast 20 limited over games by now. But guess what he has been the water boy because if he spins the ball, the careers of many of babars good friends would be over soon.

Let's look on the bright side guys, once this group stage is done we can say farewell to some longstanding losers who have been an embarrassment to the legacy of Pakistan cricket.

Chacha Ifti is done, probably Imad and Amir as well.

Which other players are looking forward to waving off into the sunset?

Iftikhar should go.

Imad is probably good just as a spinner.

Amir may retire. Maybe also Imad soon.

Shadab as a spinner is done.

Usman doesn't look promising.

Azam is done.

Saim is done for now.

Haris Rauf is a tricky case. He's very wayward often.

There is no merit for Babar. He hasn't performed since a long time.

Rizwan just about for now as there is no WK bats in Pakistan.

But I'd boot them both to make a point that there is no room for playing it safe.

Captain saab, i think you of all people should know better, none of them will be axed.

When the 2023 world cup ended. I was dead sure that shadabs career was over. There was no possible way shadab would be back.

There was no possible way that azam khan would play for pakistan or even Amir getting to play.

Or, on top of all, Babar returning as captain.

Thing is, shadab, imad and amir should had been long gone. Yet they were retained and bought back.

Except for Babar (the batter), Rizwan, shaheen, fakhar, naseem, shaheen and rauf, none of the other guys deserve to retain their spots.

The careers of imad, iftikhar, shadab, usman, azam khan, babar the captain and amir should be ended.

But you know what, we forget very easily. We will forget that amir lost us the match to USA as he bowled well today. Simiarly we forgot how bad shadab was because shadab batted well against USA and did nothing here today.

I have accepted and learned, as a cricket fan, any idiot can now player for Pakistan. So just keep quite and support these guys and hope for the best. We cant have our way. Either some fat kid will get selected, or some guy who looks sexy while diving will.

One thing that i liked about the 2011 till 2015 era was that, you knew imran farhat was a parchi and will play every series, but when it came to icc tournaments, the pcb used to sit down and get serious for atleast one tournament where theybwould kake sure not to select parchi players.

Now things have gotten out of control.

Abrar ahmed should had played atleast 20 limited over games by now. But guess what he has been the water boy because if he spins the ball, the careers of many of babars good friends would be over soon.

I think you are underestimating how humiliating these losses have been compared to 2023. The only possible reason I can think of why you wouldn't have an overhaul is that maybe cricket doesn't matter in Pakistan any more, in which case might as well just let the current guys carry on filling their boots.

Everything will depend on Gary Kirsten and how much powers he is given. Players have to be held accountable at some point.

That will be interesting, I don't know much about him but he doesn't look the type to suffer fools gladly. I'm assuming he is taking the job seriously though and doesn't just see it as a paycheck.

I think you are underestimating how humiliating these losses have been compared to 2023. The only possible reason I can think of why you wouldn't have an overhaul is that maybe cricket doesn't matter in Pakistan any more, in which case might as well just let the current guys carry on filling their boots.
it doesnt matter bro.

things end up fixing when you have proper system in place. I started watching the game back in 2006, it was the same rona than and same rona now. After this loss i have just accepted, till the time game of cricket is exiting in Pakistan and we have a team, justhope for the best.

Things are soo bad, that even if we fix the system, some lunatic like Mohsin Naqvi will always exist to come in and ruin it all.

Truth is, the countrys politcal mess spilled its way into cricket

I think Hafeez/Malik/Afridi could probably outdo some of those on the squad at the moment

Why Amir ? He's still young and good for T20s. Should continue to represent Pakistan in T20Is. Hopefully plays the next T20 WC in India too.

That will be interesting, I don't know much about him but he doesn't look the type to suffer fools gladly. I'm assuming he is taking the job seriously though and doesn't just see it as a paycheck.

We have one foreign coach for limited overs and another foreign coach for tests... I doubt they'll spend enough time in Pakistan to make any difference and they probably knew this before taking the jobs....

Ifti Chacha should never have been in this squad in the first place... he must have some real connections that keeps him in the playing eleven game after game, no matter how poorly he plays...

Imad/Amir should never have been selected. Once you retire you're done

Shadab the spinner is done, don't think he can justify a place in limited overs as a batsman alone.

Ifti aswell seems well past it too.

At least those two should be shown the door.

The question should be which Pak player should not be axed from the side. Honestly, Rizwan is probably the only one who is half decent. This lot can only play dock balls, tuk tuk boring sods can't even get bat to ball.

Gary Kirsten should perhaps be relinquishing his role as coach after this WC.

Save himself from the humiliation of it basically as these players are mentally shot and no amount of counselling or anything would change them.

Ifti Chacha should never have been in this squad in the first place... he must have some real connections that keeps him in the playing eleven game after game, no matter how poorly he plays...

Imad/Amir should never have been selected. Once you retire you're done
i get your point about ifti, but you know what the problem is? We dont have any other option.

If we play saim ayub or harris at no.6 the fans start complaining.

The situation is soo bad right now that except for Fakhar, no one can hit the ball.

i get your point about ifti, but you know what the problem is? We dont have any other option.

If we play saim ayub or harris at no.6 the fans start complaining.

The situation is soo bad right now that except for Fakhar, no one can hit the ball.

Salman Agha I think would be a decent replacement for ifti: great slip fielder, handy bowler, and good in the middle overs with the bat

The whole team needs to be axed but then who do we pick?

1) Babar( crap captain, crap performances in cups and just crap since 2022)

2) Rizwan (Same as babar)

3) Usman and saim ( Tailenders)

4) Fakhar Zaman (He's bad but is the only one who can go saeed anwar mode when switched on)

5) Shadab (Crap)

6) Imad (Bro can't run?, he is injured, mehran muntaz is replacing himand hes like 36 now)

7) Chacha ( Crap)

8) Shaheen, Naseem, Amir, Rauf (All bowling crap)

Abrar ( Babar had dhusmani against this kid)

Besides abrar and fakhar, You gotta kick everyone out.

I can suggest the batters to replace, but I don't know any bowling replacements atm

The whole team needs to be axed but then who do we pick?

1) Babar( crap captain, crap performances in cups and just crap since 2022)

2) Rizwan (Same as babar)

3) Usman and saim ( Tailenders)

4) Fakhar Zaman (He's bad but is the only one who can go saeed anwar mode when switched on)

5) Shadab (Crap)

6) Imad (Bro can't run?, he is injured, mehran muntaz is replacing himand hes like 36 now)

7) Chacha ( Crap)

8) Shaheen, Naseem, Amir, Rauf (All bowling crap)

Abrar ( Babar had dhusmani against this kid)

Besides abrar and fakhar, You gotta kick everyone out.

I can suggest the batters to replace, but I don't know any bowling replacements atm
I don't believe axing the team is the right approach to go about things. We'll be facing the same problem again in the next event.

You have to first dig deep and look behind. Look at the tail. Where what things started. Have to first install a legit Cricket Administrator, who will do justice to his position as Chairman. You need stability. But here's the problem. In Pakistan you cannot have a stable Chairman. As long as stability is not there in the government.

I don't believe axing the team is the right approach to go about things. We'll be facing the same problem again in the next event.

You have to first dig deep and look behind. Look at the tail. Where what things started. Have to first install a legit Cricket Administrator, who will do justice to his position as Chairman. You need stability. But here's the problem. In Pakistan you cannot have a stable Chairman. As long as stability is not there in the government.
You either axe em all, or you improve all of em as a unit and players. It's always been that simple for any team really.

England from 2015-2019 did this.

And I guarantee you, NZ will be doing this 100% for Conway, Williamson and many other players soon enough.

I think only west Indies is the team that has looked to actually improve as a collective unit and tbf, compared to their past selves, their 2024 team is alot stronger then their past teams.

Edit: By past I meant recent times, obviously not 2016 or classic WI

Shadab should be the first one on the list who should be axed.

Rizwan
Iftikhar
Fakhar
Usman Khan

I imagine Amir and Imad will retire again.
First of all send this Usman Khan back to UAE, this guy is good for nothing!

You either axe em all, or you improve all of em as a unit and players. It's always been that simple for any team really.

England from 2015-2019 did this.

And I guarantee you, NZ will be doing this 100% for Conway, Williamson and many other players soon enough.

I think only west Indies is the team that has looked to actually improve as a collective unit and tbf, compared to their past selves, their 2024 team is alot stronger then their past teams.

Edit: By past I meant recent times, obviously not 2016 or classic WI
Problem isn't just the players. You cannot compare Pakistan with other boards. They are professionals at their jobs.

Anyways. It's going to be a very long talk on this topics.

Long story short. Change needs to come from top to bottom.

Thank you. Exactly.

We have this fantasy of coming up with an implementation or development plan but truth is, we do this every time we flop after a tournament. Past 4/5 years, the core of players have been the same for 3 reasons:

1. We lack depth of quality at domestic level. Long gone are days we had Que of exciting players ready to make a break through.
2. Babar hates changes, he loves his core of players.
3. The “play well in PSL and we will fast track you” means we will never see real quality players come through that will have prolonged careers. It’s a horrible process.

Get rid of these players:

Azam Khan
Ifti chacha
Haris Rauf
Usman Khan

Start over. Get a new bunch of players for CT 2025 and beyond.

The only players who performed today were:

Naseem
Amir
Rauf (apart from his first over). He bowled well after that, his second over bowled accurately and at high pace was a very crucial over in the match.

However, out of these 3, only Naseem should be in the plans for the next World Cup.

Haris I don’t think will last much longer and there could be a case for him, but he needs to prove his consistency.

Amir is a hero for today’s performance - was really up for it aswell. Again not sure how long he can last so I don’t think he can be part of the plans for the future. I will say though that he has proven me wrong and so could yet be part of plans as a good experienced hand.

The rest of the team need to be binned.

Shaheen, I appreciate his attitude but unless he’s willing to sacrifice a few months and get back to full fitness and get his bite back is not really a threat.

I like Fakhar but I doubt he will be around next World Cup too

Problem isn't just the players. You cannot compare Pakistan with other boards. They are professionals at their jobs.

Anyways. It's going to be a very long talk on this topics.

Long story short. Change needs to come from top to bottom.
Short story shorter, nothing coming from top.

TBH it's easy to say get rid off everyone but who will replace them. There's no one smashing the door down to get a place in the team. There are no modern T20 players waiting in the wings. A complete rebuild of the T20 game and structure is required in Pakistan. Find the most attacking T20 players in the youths, promote and support them in their development. They might lose but at least they'll learn from it and improve. This current lot just lose and laugh about it afterwards or make excuses.

The only players who performed today were:

Naseem
Amir
Rauf (apart from his first over). He bowled well after that, his second over bowled accurately and at high pace was a very crucial over in the match.

However, out of these 3, only Naseem should be in the plans for the next World Cup.

Haris I don’t think will last much longer and there could be a case for him, but he needs to prove his consistency.

Amir is a hero for today’s performance - was really up for it aswell. Again not sure how long he can last so I don’t think he can be part of the plans for the future. I will say though that he has proven me wrong and so could yet be part of plans as a good experienced hand.

The rest of the team need to be binned.

Shaheen, I appreciate his attitude but unless he’s willing to sacrifice a few months and get back to full fitness and get his bite back is not really a threat.

I like Fakhar but I doubt he will be around next World Cup too
Amir was the hero against USA until he was not (thanks to Rauf), he doesn't have match fitness and couldn't bowl the Super over, all of these are running to play leagues rather than domestic and Tests but why blame them when everyone in power is buying islands and making properties in Dubai, let them as well as their life span as players is much shorter.

This should be the last World Cup we tolerate unfit players. Get rid of the lot of them. Good time to finally set a fitness standard. Am so annoyed seeing nearly all of these players basically a less fit version of what they were a few years ago. Disgraceful.

Also think ifti’s reflexes are gone, so time to move on. He’s just never made the jump up to international cricket.

Yeah keep the core of rubbish that has been the reason for this demise
Whilst the former 2 are in decline they are still amongst the best the country has to offer in their roles, so the players who lack the basic skills to succeed at international level need to go first.

The only issue with keeping Barbar and Rizwan is seniority culture they may bring, in which case that player should made an example off to remind the rest of their place.

Pakistan doesn't have the talent in waiting like some rival nations, and the fans are too short-sighted to see that with new youngsters the team may initially go backwards before seeing an improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usama Mir, Abrar Ahmed have been hard done by after continuously being ignored.

Usama Mir has continuously failed. He’s one of the many reasons Pakistan was kicked out of the ‘23 ODI World Cup.

On spinning Indian pitches, he couldn’t spin. More than anything, Pakistan has let go of this culture of bits and pieces cricketers.

Salman Agha I think would be a decent replacement for ifti: great slip fielder, handy bowler, and good in the middle overs with the bat

Salman Agha was one of the many reasons Pakistan lost the ‘23 WC. On spin friendly tracks, he couldn’t spin the ball to save his life.

How easy do Pakistani fans forget?

Iftikhar should go.

Imad is probably good just as a spinner.

Amir may retire. Maybe also Imad soon.

Shadab as a spinner is done.

Usman doesn't look promising.

Azam is done.

Saim is done for now.

Haris Rauf is a tricky case. He's very wayward often.

If Shadab is done as a spinner, his primary role, why should he be in the squad?

People talk about axing this or that player, or claiming nothing will change. In my view, Pakistan should kill this culture of bits and pieces. This is one of the many reasons Pakistan is now effectively a minnow team, because mediocre players are given the space to fail time and again.

He already had a good contract with Gujrat and was fairly successfull there.

He left that 3 month a year job to year around pressure job of Pakistan.

I don't believe Kirsten is there to half-ass this. He has honest intentions.
Lets see. I hope so. Hope that I'm wrong.

If Shadab is done as a spinner, his primary role, why should he be in the squad?

People talk about axing this or that player, or claiming nothing will change. In my view, Pakistan should kill this culture of bits and pieces. This is one of the many reasons Pakistan is now effectively a minnow team, because mediocre players are given the space to fail time and again.
Shadab should not be in the squad if he's not bowling well. That's why I said he is done. He should be dropped. He should go back and reassess, play domestic Cricket and then like the others put up performances to earn a call back.

Salman Agha was one of the many reasons Pakistan lost the ‘23 WC. On spin friendly tracks, he couldn’t spin the ball to save his life.

How easy do Pakistani fans forget?
Agha is not a bowling allrounder, he's a batting allrounder. Honest People want him over shadab because if you're playing sheddy at no 5 as a batsmen then better to have agha a proper bat. It doesn't help that sheddy is going for a millions runs per ball so might as well have agha bowl 1 over as a filler over

It's not just about the players, it's about the mentality.

What is the use of dropping player X for player Y if they come out and play in the same terrified manner?

Agha is not a bowling allrounder, he's a batting allrounder. Honest People want him over shadab because if you're playing sheddy at no 5 as a batsmen then better to have agha a proper bat. It doesn't help that sheddy is going for a millions runs per ball so might as well have agha bowl 1 over as a filler over
Agha is a very limited player. But he has worked hard on his game. What impresses me the most like Aamer Jamal is the commitment and fighting attitude. Players like Agha and Aamer are the ones that you need to invest in, call them in NCA and provide them with best resources to improve and make up their game. Because unlike Babars of the game. They are not mental midgets.

Get rid of these players:

Azam Khan
Ifti chacha
Haris Rauf
Usman Khan

Start over. Get a new bunch of players for CT 2025 and beyond.

Imad is still a usefully player

Shadab
Shadab should not be in the squad if he's not bowling well. That's why I said he is done. He should be dropped. He should go back and reassess, play domestic Cricket and then like the others put up performances to earn a call back.
Performing domestically in Pak doesn't really warrant a place in the national team.

I know they have to go by that metric but Pakistan domestic set is one of the poorest in world cricket.

The jump up from playing for pak domestically to the world level is to big

Last edited by a moderator:
Agha is a very limited player. But he has worked hard on his game. What impresses me the most like Aamer Jamal is the commitment and fighting attitude. Players like Agha and Aamer are the ones that you need to invest in, call them in NCA and provide them with best resources to improve and make up their game. Because unlike Babars of the game. They are not mental midgets.
He has test class experience, a couple of half centuries against a NZ side that would wash the NZ c side that Pakistan played this year, he has decent list A, psl, fc numbers and even in the Australian test series as a better only he did well.

If shadab can make it in at no5, Theirs absolute no reason we should evaluate criteria for Agha.

Their is no universe, no multiverse, no era where Shadab at his best or worst has been a better batsmen then agha irrespective of where they are batting be it no 7, opening or whatever really

Performing domestically in Pak doesn't really warrant a place in the national team.

I know they have to go by that metric but Pakistan domestic set is one of the poorest in world cricket.

The jump up from playing for pak domestically to the world level is to big
Basically that means you are saying that current team selection was on spot. Because the selection was made primarily from PSL. But we saw the results.

If you are not going to select your domestic performers. Then how will you define merit? If your domestic Cricket is not good enough then fix it, improve it. But that's a BS excuse. Because unlike all other metrics. Domestic Cricket is something, something tangible. Which is the best you got. You of course should improve it. But merit should never be compromised.

Pakistan for Australia tour had to select pacers from domestic. Khurram Shehzad, Mir Hamza and Aamer Jamal. Everyone saw that they performed. They showed that they should've been invested in more. If that was not the case then these domestic performers wouldn't have been able to perform in Australia.

And my question remains, what did Agha do in the 23 World Cup? Absolutely nothing. Why not have a proper batsman instead of these fake allrounders?

DROP THESE Players only: IFTIKHAR, SHADAB, Azam Khan
This is the ideal team for the next world cup:
1.Saim Ayub
2. Rizwan (c)
3. Babar
4. Fakhar
5. Usman khan/Irfan Niazi
6. Salman Ali Agha
7. Imad Wasim
8. Aamer Jamal
9. Shaheen
10. Amir
11. Naseem
12. Rauf
13. Abrar
14. M. Haris

I still believe this is the best X1 Pakistan could have fielded in this match. I don't see world beaters sitting in dugout or out of the team. Its funny because this forum was abusing Babar and team management for keeping Amir and Imad out of team. Amir cost Pak super over and Imad cost them match yesterday. Some posters are now gunning for return of Ahmad Shehzad forgetting how pathetic defense mediocre he was in his prime.

T20 needs all rounders. Pak also need quality spinners.

Maybe, but these Pakistanis aren’t all rounders. You can’t be an all rounder by just calling yourself an all rounder.

Stonis, maxwelll, Pandya etc are all rounders. Shadab, Imad, Ifty, Agha, Shaheen etc aren’t allrounders. They are imposters & fans should see through them.

I think the selectors might be considering a purge after this tournament is over.

Entire squad should be dumped. Pakistan should give up playing cricket whilst 🤡 like babar are running the team

If pak had other viable options, Afridi is another one that should be dropped.

Awful death bowler and another player thats ego has got the better of him.

An emotional bowler with no game awareness

Usama Mir has continuously failed. He’s one of the many reasons Pakistan was kicked out of the ‘23 ODI World Cup.

On spinning Indian pitches, he couldn’t spin. More than anything, Pakistan has let go of this culture of bits and pieces cricketers.
I was going by his PSL numbers lol 😆

It's an old boys network. Even if a few said players get dropped given the non existent talent pool we would be bringing back recycled losers like Hasan Ali and Faheem.

I'd personally drop Babar,Rizwan,Ifti, Imad,Amir,Shadab,Haris Rauf,Azam Khan,Usman,Ayub.

Even if these clowns lose all 4 games all that will happen is that Babar will lose the T20 captaincy. And that's. These rotten eggs are in this team until they turn near 40. Accept it

It's an old boys network. Even if a few said players get dropped given the non existent talent pool we would be bringing back recycled losers like Hasan Ali and Faheem.

I'd personally drop Babar,Rizwan,Ifti, Imad,Amir,Shadab,Haris Rauf,Azam Khan,Usman,Ayub.

Even if these clowns lose all 4 games all that will happen is that Babar will lose the T20 captaincy. And that's. These rotten eggs are in this team until they turn near 40. Accept it
And the next captain in line is Rizwan

This nonsense will continue for the next 3-4 years at least

Back