"The Pakistan team played better than the other team": Mohammad Hafeez

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Pakistan team director Mohammad Hafeez speaking during the post-match press conference after Pakistan's 79-run defeat against Australia in the 2nd Test:

“Yes, we made some mistakes as a team,we will take that, we will address those things, but at the same time I believe inconsistent umpiring, technology curse, really given us a result which should have been different, so I feel like these are areas that need to be addressed rightly."

“Not only (Rizwan) decision but if you see the whole game, the very inconsistent decisions of the umpires."

“We play this beautiful game of cricket with a natural instinct, and we all know the basics of the game, but sometimes it seems like it’s a technology show, it’s not the cricket we are playing instead.”

“Technology, I’m in favour of that, but if it’s bringing some doubts or bringing some curse into the game, it should not be acceptable."

"(The ball hitting the stumps) is always out. Why it’s umpire’s call, I’ll never understand that."

"I spoke to the umpire, and he said that he did not even feel that it was touching any part of the gloves, and what we saw was that there should be conclusive evidence to reverse the decision of the umpire. That is what I know, if the umpire has given it not out and there is no conclusive evidence, the decision should not be turned over. I don't know how to say more than this, but as I said earlier, this technology is basically putting a curse on this beautiful game of cricket."

“The fans will never understand why this technology is inconsistent, and the result of the game basically comes up differently."

“I will sum up, Pakistan team played better than the other team, in general. Our batting intent was better, our bowling was hitting in the right areas.”

“We saw Abdullah wasn’t feeling comfortable out there, obviously as a team, you always back your teammates if something is not going well for him, but we made this decision."

“If he’s not feeling comfortable, Babar is always a better fielder so why not he should take that lead and go into first slip, so I think that also worked out very well for me as a director, that I can see the right person is in the right job."

“(Shafique) used to do the slip fielding very well, different conditions might be disturbing him, but I will still believe he’s a good fielder.”

Last edited:
Pakistan team director Mohammad Hafeez speaking during the post-match press conference after Pakistan's 79-run defeat against Australia in the 2nd Test:

“Yes, we made some mistakes as a team,we will take that, we will address those things, but at the same time I believe inconsistent umpiring, technology curse, really given us a result which should have been different, so I feel like these are areas that need to be addressed rightly."

“Not only (Rizwan) decision but if you see the whole game, the very inconsistent decisions of the umpires."

“We play this beautiful game of cricket with a natural instinct, and we all know the basics of the game, but sometimes it seems like it’s a technology show, it’s not the cricket we are playing instead.”

“Technology, I’m in favour of that, but if it’s bringing some doubts or bringing some curse into the game, it should not be acceptable."

"(The ball hitting the stumps) is always out. Why it’s umpire’s call, I’ll never understand that."

"I spoke to the umpire, and he said that he did not even feel that it was touching any part of the gloves, and what we saw was that there should be conclusive evidence to reverse the decision of the umpire. That is what I know, if the umpire has given it not out and there is no conclusive evidence, the decision should not be turned over. I don't know how to say more than this, but as I said earlier, this technology is basically putting a curse on this beautiful game of cricket."

“The fans will never understand why this technology is inconsistent, and the result of the game basically comes up differently."

“I will sum up, Pakistan team played better than the other team, in general. Our batting intent was better, our bowling was hitting in the right areas.”

“We saw Abdullah wasn’t feeling comfortable out there, obviously as a team, you always back your teammates if something is not going well for him, but we made this decision."

“If he’s not feeling comfortable, Babar is always a better fielder so why not he should take that lead and go into first slip, so I think that also worked out very well for me as a director, that I can see the right person is in the right job."

“(Shafique) used to do the slip fielding very well, different conditions might be disturbing him, but I will still believe he’s a good fielder.”
Wow- Hafeez not mincing his words!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pakistan Team Director Mohammad Hafeez stated that Pakistan were the better of the two teams after the loss at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in the Boxing Day Test match against Australia.

Pakistan were ahead at several points in the Test match in Melbourne, but the hosts kept pulling themselves back into the contest led by their skipper Pat Cummins, who finished an incredible 2023 with a ten-wicket haul.

"We played better cricket as a team," Hafeez said after the game.

"I'm proud of that. The way the team had the courage to attack this game in the best possible way. If I sum up the game, the Pakistan team played better than the other team in general.

"Our batting intent was better, and while bowling, we were hitting the right areas. Yes, we made some mistakes that cost us the game but as a team I believe that there were a lot of positives, enough to win the game but unfortunately at the end we didn't win the game."

Cummins, meanwhile, was happy to concede that the visitors played well, but was glad that the Aussies came out on top to ensure a series victory and grab crucial ICC World Test Championship points.

"They played well. I am glad we got the win," Cummins said, adding that it is the "team who wins at the end" that matters.

"As a team, it was just a huge year in all formats. We had a lot of success and to top it off by winning a series at home, which we pride ourselves on doing, is pretty satisfying," the Australian skipper said, stating that he was also very happy with his own bowling.

“Personally, I think I'm really happy for a few reasons. Probably the one main reason is it is the best that I felt like I have bowled for a little while,” Cummins said.

"My rhythm felt really good. I felt like I had good pace. I knew where my wrist was. I could control the seam. I bowled some good bounces. So I felt really happy with how I was bowling."

Hafeez, on the other hand, admitted that Pakistan made costly errors that eventually cost them the game despite putting up a strong fight.

"This game, we were very close but we couldn't win. We made some mistakes, conceding 52 extras which really hurt us," Hafeez said.

"And then crumbling from 124 for 1 to lose five main batters, that was a crucial moment we couldn't win in the game. And then Australia were 16 for 4, we dropped a couple of catches that should have been taken."

"If we had taken our chances and won those crucial moments, perhaps this match would have ended earlier and we would have won. But this is the way the game goes; if you make a mistake this game can hurt you."

The third Test will begin in Sydney on 3 January. On the WTC front, Australia are third with 42 points. Pakistan are fifth with two wins and two losses in the cycle so far.

Source: ICC

Do any player from Pakistan was better than Pat Cummins In this game, he took 10/97 a 10fer.
It looks as Hafeez is becoming the part of the problem what is with Pakistan team

Hafeez's press conference was a disgrace.

Australia was better and out-played us in the end. You are dropping crucial catches and blaming technology for the loss.

Better team don't allow opposition to get out of jail twice in the same match.

120 odd for 1, had to go big right there, but no batsmen went big. Game would have been won right there.

16/4 - dropped catch and then lost belief. Game could have been won right there even after a drop. I know posters focus on that drop, but there was no reason to not able to create another chance quickly when ball was doing so much.

Pakistan wasn't a better team in this match. Pakistan was able to give some fight and we did not see the usual one sided match.

The better team was offcourse Australia, and hafeez is just making lame excuses.

Australia also dropped a few catches, but they created more chances.

Because our bowlers rely on flukes, they are not able to recreate more chances.

Batting as usual stinked. Imam and Abdullah are proving themselves as flat track bullies. Saud shakeel cant handle pressure.

Might aswell bring back iftikhar in the test side

Hafeez press conference was a disgrace.

Australia was better and out-played us in the end. You are dropping crucial catches and blaming technology for the loss.
He does have a point on poor umpiring though. There is a history of this specially in Australia. Pakistan plays pathetically 98% of the time and whenever we do well, the umpires ensure we do not win.

He does have a point on poor umpiring though. There is a history of this specially in Australia. Pakistan plays pathetically 98% of the time and whenever we do well, the umpires ensure we do not win.
There was no howler in this match. Aus also lost their keeper when there was a gap between bat and pad. Tech showed sound so umpire had to give it out.

I agree in past, howlers saved Aus few times, but not here. Aus was just more lucky with close calls.

With Hafeez as team director, team will fail to progress because to succeed first you have to accept your failures which Hafeez certainly is not doing

I like Hafeez, he seems to be shaking things up. He was always quite a combative player and I think that will rub off.

If Pakistan were better team than they should have won the test match .nah Australia is better team that's why they won .
Pakistan were better in few sessions but not overall .

This is something you expect from an average fan which is acceptable. But team management should still express disappointment for not finishing the job. I don't think even fans say that in this case.

If Pakistan were better team than they should have won the test match .nah Australia is better team that's why they won .
Pakistan were better in few sessions but not overall .
Stuart Broad moment. We should cancel our Ashes loss during COIVD lockdown time.

Pakistan Team Director Mohammad Hafeez stated that during the post match conference:

"The Pakistan team played better than the other team."

In reply to this Australia Captain Pat Cummins replied in post match conference:

"Cool, yeah, they played well. But glad that we got the win. It doesn't really matter, does it? It's the team who wins at the end."

Last edited:
Hafeez is trying to do a Mourinho here and calling his team better but it wont work with pakistanis.

Do any player from Pakistan was better than Pat Cummins In this game, he took 10/97 a 10fer.
It looks as Hafeez is becoming the part of the problem what is with Pakistan team

Pat Cummings was sensational

It was a good effort. But we threw it away, this game was winnable. Bowlers bowled well generally, and batsmen did much better than I expected apart from the mid order collapse in the first innings. And obviously the fielding and the Marsh innings.

Australia were better, they won. But I admit was nice that in a match in Aus where at multiple times it felt we could win.

The better team was offcourse Australia, and hafeez is just making lame excuses.

Australia also dropped a few catches, but they created more chances.

Because our bowlers rely on flukes, they are not able to recreate more chances.

Batting as usual stinked. Imam and Abdullah are proving themselves as flat track bullies. Saud shakeel cant handle pressure.

Might aswell bring back iftikhar in the test side
How many dropped catches and extras did australia have ?

we lost due to extras and dropped cstches.Clearly the better team in batting and fielding.

Pakistan Team Director Mohammad Hafeez stated that during the post match conference:

"The Pakistan team played better than the other team."

In reply to this Australia Captain Pat Cummins replied in post match conference:

"Cool, yeah, they played well. But glad that we got the win. It really doesn't matter. It's the team that wins in the end."
Exactly. Ain't that the truth. It's like kaif saying he doesn't accept aus was the better team at the odi WC final - and that ind was the better team and he doesn't accept as aus being better. Like wth ! Why even play then if the winner is not the better team ? Defies logic. It's only the SC cricketers who say these rubbish stupid statements. Perfect answer by Cummins. It's the team that wins that matters. For all of pak efforts here and ind efforts in the WC final- bottomline both lost and aus was the better team and deserving winner. Period..

These are the kind of statements that make you a laughing stock in the world.

Totally agree. Admit you put in 100% but made a few mistakes and that aus played better and so they won that's it.. no shame in losing to a better team and a champion side like aus. You play your best and inspite of that if the opposite team is better and wins - so be it that's all you can do..just give your best.. results are never guaranteed..

It’s kind of the statement you make to your team not the media. You want to make your players believe they are capable of winning, and they are the better team (even if they’re not). Getting positives is something to build on, which is why I think Shan is also talking the way he is. You need to keep confidence high and not dwell on negatives.

But obviously in the media you have to be gracious and not make excuses. It looks a bit silly and bad sportsmanship.

With pathetic players like Hasan Ali in the team , ahead of Wasim Jr, how can a team plays better .

Definitely, we didn't play like other teams. The bowlers showed grit, but the batters were well below par. I'm not sure why we have such liabilities as Imam ul Haq and Saud Shakeel in our team. We can't win any game in SENA if we carry these liabilities on our shoulders.

Pak snatches defeat from the jaws of victory in Aus nothing new. Some of the matches they lost in the last 3 decades there are ridiculous. If your going to lose after scoring 550+ just best not to tour there.

You know your team is mediocre when you are losing the series 2-0 and people are happy we are competing.

At the end of day being blown away 3-0 or laboring to a 3-0 loss makes no difference.

Lol at Hafeez comments. A loss is a loss at the end of the day and the better side ends up winning

Giving 50 extras, dropping crucial catches and twice collapsing against a team which showed lots of resilience in recovering from 4/16 and twice getting back in the match and winning it.
Hafeez is definitely right, we were the better team because only we know the art of panicking. Even if we get whitewash 3-0 we would be the better team.
Hafeez you are really a professor!

Oh dear, this is up there with Bumble’s “we flippin murdered them” comment after England drew with Zimbabwe.

In general, if backroom staff don’t have anything sensible to say, it’s best just to praise the other side, say we take some positives out of the game and look forward to the next match.

Allegedly Hafeez is supposed to be one of the smarter ones around :)

stupid statement aafter stupid statement by Hafeez.

As stupid as Mohammad Kaif's statement.

The better team is the team that is on the winning side.

Please stop playing victim - it’s a bad look. Plenty of opportunities. Take it on the chin and move on.

You know your team is mediocre when you are losing the series 2-0 and people are happy we are competing.

At the end of day being blown away 3-0 or laboring to a 3-0 loss makes no difference.
You need to recognize the positives. This team is rebuilding. Initially, nobody gave Pakistan a chance to compete. The fact that we dismissed Australia twice and came close to victory is a step in the right direction. Thanks to Rauf, we have unearthed two new bowlers: Shahzad and Hamza. Relying solely on the big three (Rauf, Naseem, Afridi) is not sustainable in all forms, so developing a larger pool of bowlers is crucial. If Hamza continues to improve, Rauf might find himself on a shorter leash.

Additionally, don't overlook the potential of another promising bowler, Ihsanullah. As for batting, there's work to be done; Imam was exposed in ODIs and rightfully dropped. It's time for him to be excluded from test matches as well. Slowly but surely, hopefully Pak will weed out weak links.

PS I hate the statement made by Hafeez. Made us a laughing stock.

What a delusional little man he is. The inexperienced nature of his coaching job is showing.

"Blessed in all facets of the game" strikes again, this time as a team director. First the practice match was played on the "slowest ever Australian pitch", and now this. Keep those ridiculous statements coming.

Embarrassing statement by Hafeez. Please keep your mouth shut and don't bring any more embarrassment to the country. Pakistan is now 16-0 in Australia

We lost 5-6 wickets especially our last 5 because of our batters complete inability to play the short ball. That is very alarming and unacceptable in Australian, South African conditions

Not sure if Pakistan won more sessions in this game? Is this what he meant? Australia won the crucial sessions?

Some food for though Prof?

P2pW1RU.png

With clowns like Hafeez, Riaz at the top, Pakistan cricket is nauseating.

Shan - a better reply this time!

==

Pakistan captain Shan Masood speaking to the press:

"I think the technology is the same for everyone and just like life, it comes in a full circle, it all balances out in the end. I don't have any complaints with the past. I thought we played some very good Cricket but look we're playing the best side in the world in my opinion at the moment and if you give them a sniff um they will pounce on any opportunities."

"There were phases in the game where we could have put them under a lot of pressure or close the game out, but we had some opportunities which we didn't hold on to or some partnerships that we had built where Pat Cummins decided to break those Partnerships and that really caused a dent in our batting but look the quality of the Australian side's there and we have to make sure that we're not making a lot of mistakes um to close out game so it's very heartening for us as that's what you want to test your skills up against the best sides in the world and at least in Melbourne we can say that we're on the right track and we want to play cricket this way"

Pakistan were not the better side in Melbourne.

They had some good phases in the match and were competitive at times.

However it was another match where Pakistan could not make the most of the chances presented to them.

the very inconsistent decisions of the umpires."

Another Umpires call for Pakistan. This is too unlucky for Pakistan since that Australian tour. And the bad luck is still fowlling Pakistan in New Zealand series as well.

Back