The Rugby Thread

Owen Farrell: England captain treated 'unfairly' by media, says Saracens boss Mark McCall

Certain members of the media "need to look at themselves" for their "unfair scrutiny" of Owen Farrell, says Saracens director of rugby Mark McCall.

The England captain, 32, has made himself unavailable for the 2024 Six Nations "in order to prioritise his and his family's mental wellbeing".

Farrell made his Saracens debut in 2008, while McCall joined as assistant in 2009 before making the step up.

"The narrative around Owen began in the mainstream media," McCall said.

He told BBC Radio London: "Everybody will, somewhere in their heads, agree with that. All I'm saying is that we have zero control over social media.

"There was a social media pile on but it was created in the mainstream media, so some in the media need to look at themselves.

"I don't know what he's done to deserve the way he has been treated."

Since McCall's comments, Sale Sharks - who Saracens beat in last season's Premiership final - "strongly condemned" a video circulating on social media of one of the club's fans verbally abusing Farrell.

"We are now consulting with the RFU and Premiership Rugby on the matter," Sale said in a statement.

World Cup final official Tom Foley to take break because of 'torrent of abuse'​

Referee Tom Foley will take a break from international rugby because of the "torrent of criticism and abuse" he received after the World Cup final.

The Briton was the television match official (TMO) for South Africa's victory over New Zealand in October.

New Zealand captain Sam Cane's yellow card for a high tackle on Jesse Kriel was upgraded to a red card following a TMO 'bunker' review.

Foley will continue to officiate in the Premiership.

"Having reached the pinnacle in officiating at the Rugby World Cup final, now feels the right time to take a break from the international game," said Foley.

"The pressure and scrutiny I came under after the Rugby World Cup final, along with a torrent of criticism and abuse online, has helped to reaffirm that this is the right decision for me at this point in my life.

"While it's a privilege to be at the heart of some of the sport's most iconic moments, the increasing levels of vitriol, when the demands and expectation are so high, have led me to this moment."

World Cup final referee Wayne Barnes retired five days after the match, saying "vile" social media abuse towards him and his family "crossed a line".

Kane's red card was the first in a World Cup final, which South Africa won 12-11 in Paris.

South Africa captain Siya Kolisi also spent time in the sin-bin for a high tackle on Ardie Savea, but it was not upgraded by the TMO bunker.

Rugby Football Union (RFU) chief executive Bill Sweeney said: "The abuse he [Foley] has suffered since the Rugby World Cup final, along with other officials involved in that game, is totally unacceptable and no-one should be treated in this way, doing their job for the sport they are so committed to and passionate about.

"We will do everything possible to help guard against the abuse aimed at match officials and players and would urge everyone in our game to consider the role they can play in upholding rugby values."

Foley, who started refereeing in 2010, has officiated in 48 Tests.

England Rugby said he will "step away" from the international game for the "foreseeable future".

England captain Owen Farrell last week made himself unavailable for the 2024 Six Nations "in order to prioritise his and his family's mental wellbeing".

Source: BBC

Barbarians rugby player Api Ratuniyarawa admits sex attacks

A Barbarians rugby player has admitted sexually assaulting three women in a Cardiff city centre bar.

Api Ratuniyarawa, 37, pleaded guilty to two counts of assault by penetration and one of sexual assault at Revolution between October 31 and 1 November.

The Fiji international was named in the Barbarians' squad to play against Wales at the Principality Stadium last month.

Ratuniyarawa, of The Orchard, Kislingbury, Northamptonshire, entered the pleas at Cardiff Crown Court.

A court previously heard the three attacks happened independently of each other and none of the victims knew Ratuniyarawa or each other.

Ruth Smith, defending Ratuniyarawa, asked for an extension to his already "stringent" bail conditions ahead of his sentencing on 9 January.

She said he and his family, which included his wife and four children, had strong residential ties to the UK and he would not pose a flight risk.

Ms Smith added said the assaults "arose out of primarily the consumption of alcohol".

She added: "The defendant is the sole breadwinner for the family. He has various appointments in place in respect of securing financial stability for his family."

Hollie Davidson: Scottish referee set to make Six Nations history​

Hollie Davidson will make history as the first female Scottish referee to be part of a Six Nations officiating team when England host Wales at Twickenham in February.

She has been named as assistant referee two for the match, alongside referee James Doleman, fellow assistant Ben O'Keeffe, and TMO Brendon Pickerill.

Davidson became the first female to referee a Six Nations team in a Test when Italy faced Portugal in 2022.

"It is a huge honour," Davidson said.

"Being the first female official in Scotland to do so is something I'm immensely proud of.

"To be involved in such an internationally renowned fixture is something I'm massively looking forward to and I can't wait to start off 2024 at such an exciting tournament."

Good to see more and more involvement of women in the sport.

RFL announces major changes in drive to make rugby league safer​

A reduction in the tackle height at community and age-grade level, annual match limits for professional players and a mandatory winter break from contact training are among major changes being introduced to rugby league from 2024.

The RFL announced on Friday a total of 44 recommendations will be implemented across the professional and community games in an effort to make the sport safer and more accessible following three years of research conducted into head injuries and collisions in partnership with Leeds Beckett University as part of the governing body's TaCKLE project.

"In stressing the significance of these recommendations which have now been ratified by the RFL's independent board of directors, we acknowledge the challenges they will pose for those at all levels of the sport," Sutton said.

"We believe they are essential, as rugby league must respond to developments in medical and scientific knowledge to prioritise the safety of those that play; and also that they offer exciting opportunities to increase the appeal and accessibility of rugby league, especially at junior and community levels."

The biggest changes to the professional game will see match limits over a 12-month period placed on players, with separate figures for forwards and backs to reflect the differences in contact levels faced during games.

Players in the Betfred Super League and Betfred Women's Super League will be mandated to wear instrumented mouthguards which measure head contact and collisions, while a mandated minimum off-season of four weeks plus an additional minimum two-week pre-season period without contact training will be implemented as well.

Source : Sky News

Henry Slade: Exeter boss hails 'incredible' kick that sealed Toulon win

Exeter boss Rob Baxter has hailed Henry Slade after his last-second kick to earn the Chiefs a memorable win at Toulon in the Investec Champions Cup.

The 30-year-old, who was omitted from England's World Cup squad in the summer, converted Jacques Vermeulen's try to seal a 19-18 win in France.

It was just a fifth Champions Cup win in France in Exeter's history.

"In the end we dealt with the pressure situation better, to be fair Sladey's kick, that's incredible," Baxter said.

"If you look at his individual journey from being here 10 years ago, making his first start at 10 and a good performance and losing, to him starting his journey to begin an international players and winning a Heineken Cup and winning Premierships, to then knocking a kick over when the clock's in the red, that's some journey over 10 years, that's some story," he told BBC Radio Devon.

"I'm just really pleased that this isn't the end for him, he's still young enough and enthusiastic enough and playing and training like a young man that this could be seasons and seasons of watching Henry Slade do that, and that's fantastic."

Women's Rugby World Cup 2025: Sunderland to host opener, Twickenham to stage final​

Sunderland's Stadium of Light has been chosen as the opening venue for the Women's Rugby World Cup in 2025.

The tournament kicks off on 22 August, with organisers confirming Twickenham Stadium as the final venue on 27 September.

World Rugby chairman Bill Beaumont said he hoped England 2025 would "engage and inspire new audiences in ways that rugby events have not done before".

England have qualified for the event but Scotland and Wales have not yet.

The decision to use the 49,000 capacity Stadium of Light for the opener comes off the back of the venue announcement last summer.

The Stadium of Light is the second biggest venue behind Twickenham and one of four football grounds chosen for games along with Brighton's Amex Stadium, the York Community Stadium and Bristol's dual-purpose Ashton Gate.

Traditional rugby grounds include Sandy Park in Exeter, Salford Community Stadium in Manchester and Franklin's Gardens in Northampton.

The record overall attendance figure at the Women's Rugby World Cup was in New Zealand in 2022, when more than 140,000 fans attended games.

The number of teams at the tournament will be increasing from 12 to 16, with schedule and ticketing information set to be released in 2024.

By choosing Sunderland, the England 2025 organising committee is committing to take rugby union to a non-traditional rugby union area of the country.

There is no women's top-flight rugby side north of Manchester after Sale were given a Premiership Women's Rugby franchise in the last round.

In February Sale launched a 'Northern Rugby Matters' campaign to increase awareness of - and celebrate- the 15s code in a region which has an abundance of rugby league sides.

Leader of Sunderland City Council, councillor Graeme Miller, said: "It's incredibly exciting for Sunderland to be playing host to the opening game of the Women's Rugby World Cup at the Stadium of Light.

"The last few years have seen a massive surge of interest in women's rugby and women's sport in general, so having the opportunity to cheer on the Red Roses in a World Cup match so close to home is brilliant news for sports fans across the north east."

The recent Men's Rugby World Cup was really good, expecting this Women's Ruby World Cup to also provide lots of good Rugby and great entertaining matches.

Henry Arundell: England wing absent from England duty until 2026 after new Racing deal​

Henry Arundell has signed a contract extension with French club Racing 92, making him ineligible for England.

The winger's new contract will run until 2026, which means he will be absent from England duty until then.

Rugby Football Union rules do not allow players based abroad to be selected for England.

"He fits perfectly into the club's short and medium term objectives," said Racing president Laurent Travers.

"We are convinced that he will be one of the driving forces to achieve them.

"He joined our squad just a few weeks ago but has already demonstrated all these qualities of a great competitor and great maturity."

Arundell, 21, joined Paris-based Racing after the bankruptcy of London Irish and scored three tries against Toulon on his debut appearance.

He scored a joint England record five tries on his World Cup debut against Chile in September.

England head coach Steve Borthwick is already without captain Owen Farrell for the 2024 Six Nations, which start in February.

Farrell has made himself unavailable "in order to prioritise his and his family's mental wellbeing".

The intention of the RFU rule to not allow players based abroad to be selected for England is to protect the quality of the English league by ensuring the best English players play in it, and give the RFU more control and better access to England or potential England players.

'No way is it a good move'
Speaking on the Rugby Union Weekly podcast, former England player Chris Ashton questioned Arundell's decision to stay in France at this stage of his career.

"I'd like to know how many players there is that are 20-21 who have left their country and become a success?" said Ashton.

"Henry's gone from playing on the bench at Irish, Irish going under, gone to a World Cup, gone to Paris where he's got to learn a new language, playing at a club with a lot of superstars.

"I just can't see how that is the right thing to be doing right now. There are times in your career to be doing that stuff.

"I needed somebody at that age to like properly mentor, spend a lot of time, put a lot of effort into me.

"You need someone who is willing to put a ridiculous amount of time into kids that age."

Former England wing Ugo Monye described Arundell as a "special talent" who needed to "develop his game".

"The steps from domestic to European to international are significant," added Monye. "The game at international level is wildly different from club.

"Whilst Henry is so special I don't think he quite understands what's required from a winger at international level."

It doesn't feel right when a player prefers to play for a club rather than his country.

Eddie Jones: Japan appoint former England coach for second time

The former England coach led Japan between 2012 and 2015, which included the famous win over South Africa at the 2015 World Cup.

In September Jones denied being interviewed for the Japan job, days before taking Australia into the 2023 World Cup.

The 63-year-old Australian resigned as Wallabies coach in October after they failed to reach the knockout stages.

Jones, whose mother and wife are Japanese, will begin the job at the start of January.

Australia coach from 2001 to 2005, Jones returned to the role in January on a contract until 2027.

On 17 October he said he remained committed to Australia despite their poor World Cup, but resigned two weeks later.

"Coaching a team is a bit like a marriage - you need commitment from both sides," he said.

Jones coached England between 2015 and 2022, winning three Six Nations titles leading them to the 2019 World Cup final, which they lost to South Africa.

But he was sacked last December after only five wins from 12 Tests that year.

'What a disgrace’: SBW brands Eddie ‘full of crap’ as rugby reacts to ex-Wallabies boss’ Japan switch

Former Wallabies captain Stephen Moore doubts Eddie Jones was ever truly committed to Australia’s cause during his disastrous second stint as national coach.

But he hopes Jones has a “good time” coaching Japan after his new role was confirmed on Thursday night, a month after he quit the Wallabies less than a year into a contract not due to end until 2027.

News of Japan’s interest in Jones emerged in September during the Australia’s embarrassing Rugby World Cup campaign when it was reported that the then Wallabies coach had been interviewed for its coaching job.

Despite Jones’ denials, he reportedly had a second interview last week, and subsequently secured the position.

Moore – who made 129 appearances for the Wallabies in a stellar career that included selection in Australia’s 2007, 2011 and 2015 World Cup squads – was adamant that speculation about Jones’ future would have contributed to the Wallabies’ failure to reach the knockout stages of this year’s tournament,

“I know the players are going to be diplomatic because they’re still involved, but there’s no way that they wouldn’t have read and heard that stuff, and it does have an impact,” he said.

“Of course they’re going to try to block it out but the more of those kinds of things that you have, it has an impact on the team."​

Source : Fox Sports

Robert Howley: 'Proud' Welshman completes long road back to Wales coaching role​

It has been a long road back to Welsh rugby's home for Robert Howley. But the former Wales coach and captain found himself back in the familiar surroundings of the Principality Stadium on his return to Warren Gatland's backroom set-up as a 'technical coach' for the 2024 Six Nations.

The drama of being sent home just before the 2019 World Cup in Japan for betting breaches, for which Howley was later banned, is a story well told.

It was a punishment handed out almost four years to the day. Now Howley finds himself sitting in the press room at the Principality Stadium, a ground which he graced as a player and coach for almost two decades. Was it a day and an occasion he thought would happen again?

"No. I'm just absolutely delighted to be back," said Howley.

"This is a special place. I'm a Welshman, a proud and a passionate one. I didn't think this day would come."

Howley, 53, celebrated his return with his family after the turmoil of the last four years.

"You can imagine over the last 24 hours there has been a bit of celebration in the Howley household," he said.

"They've supported me immensely over the last four years. The girls, Megan and Rebecca, are 24 and 22 now.

"When you go back four years ago they were in the final year of their study; Megan with psychology at Exeter and Rebecca was doing her GCSEs.

"The fact is we've got through that as a family and come through."

Welcome return
Howley was given a coaching lifeline by Canada in 2020 after he served his nine-month ban, but returning to Wales was always the ambition.

When Gatland took charge of Wales for a second time in December 2022, the Kiwi was initially blocked by the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) from bringing back his former number two.

Then, earlier this year, Howley had a meeting with interim chief executive Nigel Walker and chairman Richard Collier-Keywood.

"The last year has been a tough one," said Howley.

"The way the chairman and Nigel Walker have been over the last six months has been absolutely outstanding.

"I can only thank Nigel for all his efforts and thank the board. They've listened. The belief they've given me and the honesty I've given has been great. In fairness to Nigel and the chairman, they've given me a second chance.

"The experience I've had with Canada and the resilience I've gone through over a period of time means I feel I'm a better person, a better coach."

Investec Champions Cup: Anthony Watson returns for much-changed Leicester against Stade Francais

England wing Anthony Watson returns from injury for Leicester's Investec Champions Cup game against Stade Francais.

Watson, 29, has not played since he was was ruled out of the Rugby World Cup with a calf injury sustained against Ireland in August.

England flanker George Martin also returns in a much-changed Tigers side from their opening win over Stormers.

Flanker Hanro Liebenberg captains the side looking to win back-to-back games.

Matt Rogerson and Kyle Hatherell, who both start their first Champions Cup game for the club, join Liebenberg in the back row.

"It's great for us to have both George and Anthony back in the team and I'm sure our supporters will be delighted to see them in a Tigers shirt again," head coach Dan McKellar told the club website.

"Both have worked hard over the last couple of weeks to prepare themselves physically to play and to pick up the knowledge required to execute their role."

Half-backs Jamie Shillcock and Tom Whiteley also make their first European starts for the Tigers in place of Handre Pollard, who scored 20 points against the Stormers, and Ben Youngs.

Line-ups
Stade Francais: Barre; Hamdaoui, Marchant, Jeremy Ward, Laloi, Segonds, Zabalza; Castets, Ivaldi, Alo-Emile, Gabrillagues, Pesenti, Macalou, Briatte, Hirigoyen.

Replacements: Peyresblanques, Alo-Emile, Kodela, Azagoh, Ahmed, Gimbert, Chapuis, Van der Mescht.

Leicester Tigers: Brown; Watson, Kelly, Kata, Hassell-Collins; Shillcock, Whiteley; Cronin, Vanes, Heyes, Martin, Carter, Liebenberg, Rogerson, Hatherell.

European Challenge Cup: Scarlets 7-23 Black Lion - Welsh region suffer humiliating loss

Scarlets' miserable season continued with a shock loss to Challenge Cup newcomers Black Lion in Llanelli.

A Vaea Fifita try came during a bright start, but Dwayne's Peel's side inexplicably collapsed as they conceded 23 unanswered points.

Miriani Modebadze and Beka Mamrikashvili crossed in either half for the Georgian visitors, while Luka Matkava added 13 points with the boot.

Scarlets have now lost seven of nine games in all competitions.

It was hard to imagine the boos which came at the final whistle as Scarlets looked so positive in the early attacks, throwing the ball around with confidence.

That began with a brilliant break from man of the moment Ioan Lloyd, who took a quick line-out, eyed a gap and weaved his way 50 metres through the mist of the pyrotechnics. It was just unfortunate for the home side that he did not see Steff Evans in support.

But momentum continued and quick ball from Gareth Davies allowed the returning Fifita to juggle and crash over from close range.

Black Lion's early discipline let them down and things went from bad to worse when Sandro Mamamtavrishvili was sent to the sin bin for an off-the-ball challenge.

Scarlets continued to feed off penalties but they failed to discover the tempo which had excited the almost 6,000 crowd early on, much to the frustration of Dwayne Peel and his coaching staff.

At the same time Black Lion grew into the game, their scrum giving them a decent platform, and player-of-the-match Matkava took full advantage of an offside penalty to kick their first points.

The game was then turned on its head five minutes before the break when Luka Ivanishvili took a quick-tap penalty which put his side on the front foot and paved the way for Modebadze to score.

Scarlets continued to look nervous after the restart as they struggled with the basics, while Matkava was happy to take the points on offer.

Scarlets continued to wait for the spark, as both sides looked to their benches for inspiration, but little came the way of the hosts.

Lion's second try came from a five-metre line-out and there was to be no stopping their powerful forwards, with hooker Mamrikishvili driven over the line.

Scarlets desperately needed a response and they might have got it via a wayward pass, which Steff Evans hacked through before forcing a five-metre scrum.

But despite the crowd urging Scarlets to drive, the ball bobbled out before being knocked on, a move which summed up their evening.

The uphill task grew steeper as Scarlets were reduced to 14 players with Harri O'Connor sent to the sinbin for a culmination of scrum penalties.

Lion looked comfortable in the final quarter as the rain came down and fans headed for an early exit.

Matkava kicked another penalty, while a late injury to Fifita added to Scarlets' misery and an ever-growing injury list.

Scarlets head coach Dwayne Peel head coach said: "I thought we were poor to be honest, in certain elements of the game.

"Our speed into the breakdown wasn't good enough, that's something as a coach that you keep hammering every week.

"Some of that was due to our poor attack as well, I don't think we attacked very well.

"We were taught a lesson at scrum-time and got penalised at almost every one."

Scarlets: Tom Rogers; Steff Evans, Johnny Williams, Eddie James, Ryan Conbeer; Ioan Lloyd, Gareth Davies (capt); Steff Thomas, Shaun Evans, Joe Jones, Alex Craig, Jac Price, Ben Williams, Teddy Leatherbarrow, Vaea Fifita.

Replacements: Eduan Swart, Sam O'Connor, Harri O'Connor, Ed Scragg, Morgan Jones, Archie Hughes, Charlie Titcombe, Ioan Nicholas.

Black Lion: Miriani Modebadze; Akaki Tabutsadze, Tornike Kakhoidze, Merab Sharikadze, Otar Lashkhi; Luka Matkava, Tengiz Peranidze; Dato Abdushelishvili, Beka Mamrikashvili, Giorgi Chkhartishvili, Nodar Cheishvili, Grigor Kerdikoshvili, Giorgi Kervalishvili, Sandro Mamamtavrishvili, Luka Ivanishvili.

Replacements: Gela Makharashvili, Aliko Shamilishvili, Bachuki Tchumbadze, Demuri Epremidze, Saba Kurtanidze, Giorgi Margalitadze, Giorgi Jobava, Luka Tsirekidze.

Referee: Jeremy Rozier (Fra)

Assistant referees: Vivien Praderie & Thomas Chereque (Fra)

TMO: Patrick Dellac (Fra)

BBC

Investec Champions Cup: Saracens 55-36 Connacht - English side win 13-try thriller​

Saracens got off the mark in the Investec Champions Cup with a 55-36 win over Connacht in a 13-try thriller at the StoneX Stadium on Saturday.

The three-time champions lost to the Bulls in their opener, but two Jamie George tries helped them to a 21-17 interval lead this time.

Olly Hartley crossed twice in a frantic second half as the Premiership champions ran in eight tries in total.

Connacht's five tries ensured they left with a losing bonus point.

It was a second defeat in a row, however, for the Irish province, who produced a much improved performance from that which saw them go down 41-5 at home to Bordeaux-Begles last week.

Saracens edged ahead early on when Argentine flanker Juan Martin Gonzalez rose highest to collect a clever probing kick by Owen Farrell, before shrugging off a number of challenges to rampage over the line, with Farrell unable to convert.

Soon after, Ireland international Bundee Aki responded for Connacht, the centre barging over from close range after a lineout provided the platform for the score.

Jack Carty set up the set-piece with an excellent kick into the corner and subsequently added the extras to make it 7-5.

Farrell replied with a penalty but Connacht's second try was not long in coming, scrum-half Caolin Blade spotting a gap at the side of the ruck and darting through to stretch over the line and dot down. Carty split the posts for the additional two points.

The visiting number 10 was again accurate from the tee when Farrell was deemed to have overreacted to a hard shot by Shayne Bolton and a penalty was awarded.

The hosts reduced their deficit to four points when they drove towards their opponents' line with a maul, with George steering from the back and then rumbling over the line.

Farrell was off target with the conversion but made amends a few minutes later with a successful penalty attempt.

A Saracens lineout again set up their third score, the resulting maul seeing George go over again after a powerful shove. Farrell again skewed his conversion wide.

Mark McCall's side secured a bonus point with their fourth try soon after the restart as a clever kick through by Alex Goode was gathered by Hartley, who ran in under the posts to score on his Champions Cup debut.

Sarries continued to dominate possession and territory and were rewarded for their supremacy when Farrell kicked a further penalty. Farrell then provided a superb pass for wing Sean Maitland to gather and dive over in the corner after a sweeping move from one side of the pitch to the other.

With Cian Prendergast in the sin-bin for going off his feet, Farrell's penalty extended the advantage to 21 points.

Within minutes it was the turn of Saracens right wing Lucio Cinti Luna to cross in the opposite corner to Maitland, stepping inside John Porch and running in try number five for his side.

Home second row Maro Itoje was then yellow-carded for a high tackle and Connacht replied with a third try of their own, replacement JJ Hanrahan finding a gap and skipping over after good build-up play culminated in a skilful offload from Aki.

The try-scoring action continued as Hartley scored his second, providing the finish after collecting another clever kick.

Joe Joyce then surged over to clinch a bonus point for Connacht and a breathless second half continued when Theo Dan got his name on the scoresheet with an eighth Saracens try.

The replacement hooker used his team's tried and tested maul as his launchpad to surge over, but the scoring was not yet finished as Prendergast grabbed a late consolation try.

Investec Champions Cup: Cardiff 32-39 Bath - Visitors edge 10-try Arms Park thriller

Bath triumphed against Cardiff in an Investec Champions Cup 10-try thriller at the Arms Park.

Bath replacement Jaco Coetzee crossed for two tries after scores from Joe Cokanasiga, Ollie Lawrence, Alfie Barbeary and Tom Dunn, with Finn Russell adding nine points.

Josh Adams scored two tries for Cardiff before being forced off injured with further tries from Gabriel Hamer-Webb and Ben Thomas.

Tinus de Beer kicked 12 points.

This used to be a regular Anglo-Welsh fixture with a famous Heineken Cup quarter-final also occurring in 1996 which attracted 14,000 fans.

That occasion was won by Cardiff at a packed Arms Park thanks to a Nigel Walker try and the boot of Jonathan Davies and Lee Jarvis.

Fast forward 27 years and the crowd for this game was 10,158. It was the biggest attendance of the season so far in Cardiff and should show the game's decision-makers the benefits of fixtures which attracts supporters from both sides rather than league matches against sides from nations further afield.

If ever there was an advert for advocates of an Anglo-Welsh league, this stunning spectacular was it.

Bath triumphed against Cardiff in an Investec Champions Cup 10-try thriller at the Arms Park.

Bath replacement Jaco Coetzee crossed for two tries after scores from Joe Cokanasiga, Ollie Lawrence, Alfie Barbeary and Tom Dunn, with Finn Russell adding nine points.

Josh Adams scored two tries for Cardiff before being forced off injured with further tries from Gabriel Hamer-Webb and Ben Thomas.

Tinus de Beer kicked 12 points.

This used to be a regular Anglo-Welsh fixture with a famous Heineken Cup quarter-final also occurring in 1996 which attracted 14,000 fans.

That occasion was won by Cardiff at a packed Arms Park thanks to a Nigel Walker try and the boot of Jonathan Davies and Lee Jarvis.

Fast forward 27 years and the crowd for this game was 10,158. It was the biggest attendance of the season so far in Cardiff and should show the game's decision-makers the benefits of fixtures which attracts supporters from both sides rather than league matches against sides from nations further afield.

If ever there was an advert for advocates of an Anglo-Welsh league, this stunning spectacular was it.

The excitement continued in the second half with Tomos Williams and Ley-Lo creating the chance for Thomas to canter over with de Beer converting.

Yet another failed kick-off from Cardiff gave Bath another attacking platform with Russell eventually slotting over a penalty to put the visitors to within a score.

A borderline tackle from Bath replacement Coetzee on Thomas went unpunished by Scottish referee Sam Grove-White.

The crowd were later infuriated when Grove-White awarded a try to Coetzee despite desperate defensive efforts of wing Grady and flanker Mann. That levelled the scores with Russell's conversion going wide.

A potential forward pass was not awarded in the build-up to Coetzee's second try with Cokanasiga's burst setting up the chance as Bath restored their lead.

This turned out to be the winning score as the Bath replacements bench ultimately proved the difference.

Harlequins 19-47 Toulouse: Quins fall to heavy Investec Champions Cup defeat

Harlequins were outclassed by French champions Toulouse as they conceded seven tries in a 47-19 Investec Champions Cup thrashing at the Stoop.

Toulouse scored three clinical first-half tries, but Quins kept themselves in the game with tries from Andre Esterhuizen and Irne Herbst.

However, four more Toulouse tries followed in the second half as Antoine Dupont's side ran Quins ragged.

Herbst scored the home side's only try of a disappointing second half.

Toulouse followed up the seven tries they scored against Cardiff last week with another dazzling attacking display that underlined their hopes of becoming champions for a sixth time.

They top the Pool 2 standings on points difference from Bath, while Harlequins, who stunned Racing 92 in Paris last weekend, are fourth.

The game was delayed for 10 minutes in the first half when Toulouse centre Pita Ahki made a head-on-head tackle on Quins lock Dino Lamb.

Lamb was carried off the pitch on a stretcher for further treatment, while Ahki only avoided a red card because he was deemed to be falling back in the tackle.

The game got off to an electric start with Toulouse's star backs showing their ability with the ball in hand.

Ahki side-stepped his way through Quins' defence and fed fellow centre Pierre-Louis Barassi to score the first try in the seventh minute.

South African centre Esterhuizen replied minutes later by powering over Thomas Ramos' attempted tackle and crossing the line unopposed.

But Toulouse hit back straight away with Ahki making the initial break on the left, Ramos taking the ball at pace through the middle and Dimitri Delibes scoring in the right corner.

The outcome of the match might have been different if the referee had sent Ahki off but the Tongan breathed a big sigh of relief when he was only shown a yellow card.

The injury delay resulted in a scrappy few minutes before Toulouse ran in a third try. Dupont and Scotland international Blair Kinghorn started a flowing move before Delibes ran past Quins' desperate defence and played in hooker Peato Mauvaka to dive over.

Quins' forwards dug deep to cut the deficit to 21-12 just before half-time. James Chisholm, playing his first match of the season after recovering from injury, and skipper Alex Dombrandt did the hard yards to give replacement second row Herbst the chance to score.

Any hopes of a second-half turnaround disappeared when Toulouse came out flying with an early try from wing Matthis Lebel following a well-worked line-out move.

Herbst crossed the line again for the hosts, but Toulouse scored a stunning try moments later.

Dupont weaved his way up the pitch, shaking off a Marcus Smith challenge, before a wonderful offload from second row Emmanuel Meafou enabled Barassi to sprint on to the ball and score his second try.

With Quins becoming increasingly tired, Toulouse stole a line-out that ended with replacement prop Rodrigue Neti powering over for his side's sixth try before fly-half Ramos completed the rout.

Harlequins will aim to get their campaign back on track when they travel to Cardiff in round three in January, while Toulouse play Ulster.

Felipe Contepomi: Argentina appoint former fly-half head coach to succeed Michael Cheika​

Argentina have appointed former fly-half Felipe Contepomi to replace Michael Cheika as their head coach.

Contepomi, 46, earned 87 caps for the Pumas and was previously assistant to Cheika.

The Australian has left the role after reaching the semi-finals of the 2023 World Cup with the Pumas before they were beaten by losing finalists New Zealand.

"I am very proud to have been the head coach of Los Pumas," said Cheika.

"It is one of the experiences I have enjoyed the most in my coaching career.

"Although I was born in Australia, a big part of me will be Argentina. I am convinced that Felipe and his staff will lead the team in the best way."

Cheika took charge of Argentina in March 2022 and won 11 and lost 13 Test matches during his tenure.

"I had the honour of working with Michael Cheika in the consolidation of a sporting project, which challenges and excites us as part of a great Argentine team," said Contepomi, who played for Bristol, Leinster, Toulon and Stade Francais.

"For that reason I am grateful for the extraordinary opportunity that the UAR (Argentine Rugby Union) gives me."

Rugby Football Union announces plans to revitalise the game

English rugby's powerbrokers have announced plans to revitalise the game in England after admitting they have "failed miserably" when it comes to developing young talent.

As part of a landmark new partnership, the Rugby Football Union plans to create a revamped second tier from the 2025-2026 season.

This new league could give Wasps, London Irish, Worcester and Jersey Reds a lifeline to return to professional rugby.

"We want - and should be - world-leading at all levels," said the RFU's Conor O'Shea.

"This is a huge opportunity for us to shape the game for years to come."

Among the other proposals drawn up by the governing bodies as part of the new Professional Game Partnership [PGP]:

By slimming-down senior squad sizes at Premiership clubs as well as establishing a vibrant second-tier league, the RFU hopes to establish a more efficient structure that provides younger players with more opportunities to play and develop.

"Talent ID is not about spotting talent. It is about giving talent opportunity, and it is where English rugby has failed miserably," explained O'Shea.

"If you don't give players the right and appropriate game-time, they will never reach the ceiling they can.

"Our job is to create that system that almost enforces game-time."

Ex-England player hails Scott Robertson’s masterstroke of appointing New Zealand’s ‘great rugby thinker’

Ex-England fly-half and outspoken pundit Stuart Barnes believes that Scott Robertson has pulled off a significant coup by making Wayne Smith part of his coaching staff.

Robertson confirmed his backroom team ahead of the 2024 Test season with Smith being named a performance coach for the All Blacks.

The 66-year-old is a three-time Rugby World Cup winner – two with the men in 2011 and 2015 and one with the women in 2022.

Every step a rugby player runs should have its reason: to pull an opponent out of position, to create space for a support runner. In theory, this is the mental challenge that the game poses, but in practice, this is, too often, not the case.

“Defenders dominate, and statistics show that the best way to counter this is by kicking the ball back and asking the other team to play from deep defensive positions.
“No country is so committed to this policy as England. Defenders of Steve Borthwick’s side will say that even the All Blacks boot away the ball.

“They do, but they are also not afraid to damn the data and attack from the depths of their own half. The kicking issue is as much about why as how often.”

Thinking differently
England reached the semi-finals of the recent World Cup and almost pulled off a huge shock against the Springboks in that last-four contest.

South Africa would eventually prevail 16-15 before going on to claim their fourth global title by overcoming the All Blacks in the showpiece event.

Borthwick came up with a tactically astute game plan which so very nearly worked, but Barnes is worried that it will encourage him to continue with that extremely conservative style.

The ex-playmaker insists that having a different voice in the camp would have benefited Borthwick and England going forward.

“It would not have been a threat to suggest that the management should think outside the box, while the odd reminder that the sport has limitless options would have been a welcome whisper,” he added

Source : The Planet Rugby

Manu Tuilagi: England centre likely to miss start of Six Nations through injury

Centre Manu Tuilagi is expected to miss the start of England's Six Nations campaign with a groin injury.

Tuilagi suffered a grade three tear in the second half of Sale's 22-20 Premiership win over Saracens at the Salford Community Stadium last Friday.

The 32-year-old, capped 60 times by England, was plagued by a long-term groin problem earlier in his career.

Tuilagi is likely to miss England's opening Six Nations match against Italy in Rome on 3 February.

They will then face Wales at Twickenham the following week.

Sale director of rugby Alex Sanderson said Tuilagi's injury would not require surgery and that the player himself was determined to get fit as soon as possible.

"Manu has pulled his groin and we think he's going to be back during the Six Nations, but not for the first week," Sanderson said.

"Six weeks is the recommended time for the injury and Manu is saying four. I spoke to him and he's like, 'I need to play and if I'm good to play it's up to England regarding selection'.

"He was in the frame before and I've stated before his intent to keep playing international rugby."

Tuilagi played six matches for England at the 2023 Rugby World Cup in France.

Meanwhile, Sale prop Bevan Rodd will miss the entire Six Nations after undergoing toe surgery.

BBC

Today's rugby news as Gatland to watch intently tonight and England dealt Six Nations blow

The new names set to light up Welsh rugby who you'll be seeing a lot more of in 2024

“He was in the frame before and I’ve stated before his intent to keep playing international rugby. Six weeks is the recommended time for the injury and Manu is saying four.”

Gatland to watch on Wales head coach Warren Gatland will no doubt be keeping tabs on Bristol Bears' clash with Exeter Chiefs tonight. Ashton Gate is set for a Christmas cracker, with more than 23,000 tickets sold for the match.

It will be another opportunity for Callum Sheedy to impress the Kiwi, with the fly-half named in the starting line-up. With no Dan Biggar and Gareth Anscombe to pick this time, Sheedy could well be in with a shout of Six Nations selection.

In the Chiefs' starting ranks are Dafydd Jenkins and Immanuel Feyi-Waboso - two others who will be looking to impress Gatland and his coaching ticket.

Source : Wales Online

Premiership: Bristol 14-24 Exeter - Chiefs beat Bears with rare away win

Exeter moved top of the Premiership with a rare bonus-point win on the road as they prevailed 24-14 at Bristol.

Tries from Josh Iosefa-Scott and Immanuel Feyi-Waboso twice had Chiefs ahead but Gabriel Oghre and Noah Heward replied in a see-saw first half.

Stu Townsend put Exeter back in front on the resumption and Jacques Vermeulen wrapped up the bonus point late on.

Exeter's seventh win of the campaign lifts them above Bath at the summit ahead of the weekend's fixtures.

Rob Baxter made changes to the Exeter side that beat Leicester last weekend with try-scorers Iosefa-Scott, Feyi-Waboso and Townsend among those returning to the starting 15 for only the Chiefs' second win on the road since October 2022.

The game took place in front of a bumper crowd of more than 24,257 inside Ashton Gate, the largest attendance for a Bears match for more than three years, but it was the visiting fans who were celebrating first during a first 40 minutes that saw the lead switch back and forth.

Exeter off-loaded quickly from a five-metre line-out, moving the ball swiftly to set up Iosefa-Scott to drive over from close range, Henry Slade adding the extras.

Bristol instantly retaliated with their own try following a line-out, hooker Oghre powering through the Exeter defence and Callum Sheedy's conversion levelling the scores.

An excellent team try saw Exeter go back in front after Ollie Woodburn made the crucial line break, the ball spread out wide for Feyi-Waboso to touch down in the right corner.

But Heward sprinted through a narrow gap down the right touchline before acrobatically diving over in the corner, Sheedy converting to give Bristol a slender two-point half-time lead.

The Bears were left to rue a poor catch from the second-half restart however, gifting Exeter possession. While Feyi-Waboso's impressive 30-yard run was stopped inches from the tryline, scrum-half Townsend was on hand to touch down from close range.

The winning margin could and should have been higher for Exeter as Slade missed his second conversion right before Townsend was sent to the bin for a deliberate knock-on.

The Chiefs were awarded a second penalty in front of the posts for a certain three points, but chose to go for the tap failed to convert the chance.

They eventually made their pressure pay five minutes from time as replacement Vermeulen barged his way over to secure all five points and nudge Exeter ahead of Bath at the top by a point.

Welsh Rugby Union: Chairman promises 2024 change 'after year to forget' for governing body​

Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) chairman Richard Collier-Keywood has promised things will change in 2024 after admitting 2023 "has been a year to forget" for the governing body.

Collier-Keywood has made his pledge in a new year letter to the Welsh clubs.

He has highlighted a six-point plan for 2024 including the need for a "One Wales" joined-up approach.

An independent report in November found aspects of the WRU culture were sexist, misogynistic, racist and homophobic.

It was produced by Dame Anne Rafferty, who has now been appointed as chair of a new external oversight group that will monitor the WRU's progress in implementing the changes suggested by the report.

A BBC Wales Investigates programme, aired in January 2023, uncovered allegations of sexism and misogyny at the WRU. Chief executive Steve Phillips resigned and the WRU commissioned the independent investigation.

There has been major change at the governing body since an extraordinary general meeting (EGM) in March, which included Collier-Keywood being appointed as the first independent chair in July.

This was part of a new-look board appointed for 2024 with more rugby, business and commercial expertise recruited and the number of club representatives halved.

"Without negating all of the hugely positive things that have happened in 2023, both on and off the pitch and, I think we will all agree the WRU has had a year to forget in many ways," wrote Collier-Keywood.

"We won't let the issues we have faced define us, but we will learn from them.

"We have already done so and are progressing at pace with a new governance structure now in place and the recommendations from the Dame Anne Rafferty-led independent review setting out a positive roadmap for the future both culturally and from a governance perspective.

"With this in mind I'm delighted to announce, together with Sport Wales, we have invited Dame Anne to lead the external oversight group which will monitor and assess our progress against the recommendations of the independent review over the next three years.

"Dame Anne's presence provides the gravitas and consistency of thought and analysis necessary to hold us to account in our progress at pace and she will be joined by two further independent members in the new year."

Six-point plan for 2024

Collier-Keywood outlined six aspects the WRU will focus on in 2024.

• Delivering a "One Wales" joined-up rugby approach
  • Creating a strategy for the WRU's support of Welsh rugby and making more money to invest in the professional and community games
  • Encouraging an inclusive culture
  • Completing the work on the women's strategy and investing in the women's game in Wales
  • Investing in the welfare of players
  • Further improvements to governance
"We need an approach to Welsh rugby that reaches across the whole game and will join up what we do from community clubs to the elite game," Collier-Keywood added.

"We are committed to building improved relationships with regions and community clubs that should help with this process.

"We are working on our plan, we will publish this in the spring of 2024 and will be accountable for its delivery.

"We need to work together across the regions and clubs to deliver a "One Wales" plan. A key part of this will be ensuring rugby in Wales is put on a sound and sustainable footing so we can invest in the game and communities that support it across Wales.

"The goals of this plan are clear that all our national teams - men's, women's and age-grade - need to compete with the best in the world.

"For this to be achieved we need strong domestic teams and a pathway that includes our clubs with a passionate and inclusive fanbase.

"The one consistent theme I have heard is the WRU does not have a strategy. This is one of the board and executive's immediate priorities but this will not be a strategy we will dream up in a darkened room.

"We are committed to consulting widely externally to ensure the strategy gets the best possible input."

The WRU also had to deal with the threat of a player strike in February for the home Six Nations match against England over contractual issues which was only averted three days before the game.

Collier-Keywood insisted improving relations with the four professional sides was one of his main priorities.

"I can assure supporters throughout Wales I am taking a significant personal interest in ensuring the WRU works as closely as possible with our regional sides because this one area, at this moment in time, is a keystone to future success for Welsh rugby," he added.

New leader

Incoming chief executive Abi Tierney will officially become the first female WRU chief executive on 8 January, with interim Nigel Walker taking on a new role as executive director of rugby.

Tierney arrives from her position as director general of HM Passport Office and UK Visas and Immigration.

It was for this role that Tierney was recognised in the New Year Honours. She was included on the Companions of the Order of the Bath (CB) list in recognition for public service.

"I am delighted, and humbled, to receive this honour," said Tierney.

"I see it as recognition of the crucial services delivered by our civil servants across the migration and borders system.

"It has been a pleasure and a privilege to work with them all. I am proud to have been part of these teams.

"With the new year comes a new beginning for me and for the WRU and I am looking forward to taking on the challenges ahead together with another excellent, proud and passionate team of dedicated individuals. I know we will succeed, together."

Souce: BBC

Viliame Mata: Bristol Bears sign Edinburgh's Fiji back-row for 2024-25​

Bristol Bears are to sign Fiji international Viliame Mata from Edinburgh for next season.

The 32-year-old back-row - who scored against England in October's World Cup quarter-final - has made more than 100 appearances for Edinburgh.

Mata told the Bears website: "I'm truly grateful for the opportunity and excited for the challenge."

He was nominated for European club player of the year and named Pro14 Players' Player of the Year in 2018-19.

Bears director of rugby Pat Lam said: "Viliame is one of the most powerful and exciting back-row players in the game, so we're delighted to be bolstering our forward pack with a player of his world-class calibre next season.

"His performances as a centurion for Edinburgh and at the recent Rugby World Cup in France for Fiji, showcased his experience and ability at the top level."

The Rio 2016 Olympic gold medallist was the first non-Scottish qualified player to reach 100 appearances for a Scottish club.

He would surely be a good addition to the Bears team with his experience.

Saracens and England prop Mako Vunipola has been banned for four games following his red card in the Premiership game against Newcastle.

The 32-year-old was sent off for a dangerous tackle on Falcons hooker Bryan Byrne in Saturday's 37-19 win.

Vunipola admitted foul play but said it did not meet the red card threshold.

An independent disciplinary panel upheld the sending off and imposed the ban, which will see Vunipola return in time for the Six Nations.

Vunipola will miss Saracens' games in the Premiership against Leicester Tigers and Exeter Chiefs either side of their Investec Champions Cup matches at Bordeaux-Begles and at home to Lyon.

However, he will be available for England's Six Nations opener against Italy in Rome on 3 February if selected by head coach Steve Borthwick, whose three World Cup squad loosehead props Ellis Genge, Joe Marler and Bevan Rodd are currently injured.

Vunipola was ineligible to take part in World Rugby's coaching intervention programme, which could have seen his band reduced by one game, having completed it previously in 2022.

The New Zealand-born forward, who started his career at Bristol, made his debut for England in 2012 and has amassed 71 caps. He qualified for the national team having lived in Wales and England since the age of seven.

BBC

Owen Farrell bombshell rocks English rugby as fly-half ‘close to joining’ Top 14 giants – report​

In the shock move of the year, Owen Farrell is on the verge of joining Top 14 side Racing 92, according to reports in France. Midi Olympique are reporting that the playmaker is in talks with the Parisian outfit and is ‘close’ to penning a two-year deal, which will keep him at the club until at least 2026.

Farrell has earned in excess of 100 England caps and has arguably been their best player over the past decade, captaining the country to the 2019 Rugby World Cup final and the 2023 semi-final.

Blow for England
It would be a blow for English rugby and Steve Borthwick, with the fly-half a linchpin of the side since making his debut in 2012.

He has also enjoyed tremendous success at Saracens and has remained loyal to the Londoners over the past 15 years.

Farrell first appeared for Sarries as a 17-year-old and has gone on to become a great for both club and country.

However, the playmaker recently stepped away from the Test arena to protect his and his family’s mental health and will miss the 2024 Six Nations as a result.

Borthwick was asked yesterday about the prospect of Farrell returning for England and his answer was not exactly confident.

“We’re all hopeful he’ll return to the England team at some point soon,” he said. “But that’s going to be a decision Owen makes.

“Will he play for England again? Erm, I’m really hopeful he does. I think, as England supporters, we all hope that. This is one of England’s greatest ever players and captains.

“But that will be his decision, at a time that’s right for him.”

Marquee fly-half
Perhaps this news is why Borthwick would not give a definite answer. Racing have been looking for a star playmaker to replace the outgoing Finn Russell, who joined Bath at the start of the 2023/24 season.

England and Harlequins pivot Marcus Smith was previously linked to the Parisians, but it looks like his international team-mate will be going there instead.

According to Midi, following the departures of Russell, Virimi Vakatawa and potentially Bernard Le Roux – who could retire due to concussion issues – and Juan Imhoff, salary cap space has been opened up.

It would have to be a hefty amount to prize him away from Sarries. The Daily Mail recently reported that Saracens wanted Farrell to be their sole marquee player, but they may now have to change their plans.

Source : Planet Rugby

Tom de Glanville's two tries led Bath to a 17-10 victory in the West Country derby and helped consign Gloucester to a club-record ninth straight defeat.

Gloucester started the game superbly and took an early lead when Ruan Ackermann received a ball from Zach Mercer following a tap penalty and barged through to score. The lead held until just after the half-hour mark when De Glanville exchanged passes with Will Muir before diving over in the corner.

Healey questions Bath line-up in Leicester defeat, Dallaglio predicts Tigers will keep improvingHealey questions Bath line-up in Leicester defeat, Dallaglio predicts Tigers will keep improving

After half-time, Muir scored a freaky try when his grubber kick nutmegged Caolan Englefield and he ran onto touch down.
Then after a long period of pressure, Bath made their advantage count as, following Joe Cokanasiga's interception, the ball came across to De Glanville who easily weaved through the tired opposition defenders to score his second.
Finn Russell's errant kicks kept the game within one score but a poor pass from the Bath No. 10's opposite number and fellow Scotsman Adam Hastings with a couple of minutes remaining ended Gloucester's chances.
The win lifts Bath back up to third in the table. Gloucester remain second bottom.

There is nothing wrong with the intensity of Gloucester's play nor their determination to dig in, the 153 tackles made and multiple times they held Bath up over the line attest to this. However, in a derby match fought on such tough terms, to concede 16 penalties - a deficit of 12 - made it virtually impossible for them to reverse their losing slump. Legendary Irish skipper Brian O'Driscoll spoke about this on TNT Sports after the game: "The momentum is likely to be against you. It's a killer. Discipline is so key to the defensive side of the game and it is the ruck which they have to sort out." Their conversion rate when getting inside the opponents 22 is also a problem, but these chances would not be as sparse if they did not give their opponents the initiative so often.

PLAYER OF THE MATCH - TOM DE GLANVILLE (BATH)
In a tight match with few scores it is difficult to look past the man who was responsible for tewo of them. The first saw his impudent pass to Muir opening up a break and then he supported to dive over the line and although the ultimately winning try owed as much to tired Gloucester legs, his 162 metres gained was almost double any other player on the pitch.

Source:Eurosport

Ireland: Wingers Mack Hansen and Jimmy O'Brien to miss Six Nations campaign through injury​

Jimmy O'Brien has joined fellow Ireland wing Mack Hansen in being ruled out of the Six Nations through injury.

Connacht announced that Hansen, 25, will be out for three to four months with a dislocated shoulder.

Leinster revealed later on Monday that O'Brien has picked up a neck injury and will be unavailable "for a number of months".

The pair join Dave Kilcoyne in missing the Six Nations, with the prop out for six months with a shoulder injury.

Hansen is undergoing surgery on Monday for the injury which he sustained in his side's win over Munster in the United Rugby Championship on New Year's Day.

The Australia native has won 21 Ireland caps and played an important role in their Grand Slam success last year.

He also started three of Ireland's four group games at the 2023 World Cup as well as starting in their quarter-final defeat by New Zealand in Paris.

O'Brien, who has eight Ireland caps, came on as a replacement in the World Cup last-eight encounter.

The 27-year-old last played in Leinster's Investec Champions Cup win over Sale on 16 December.

Ireland begin their Six Nations defence against France in Marseille on 2 February.

Head coach Andy Farrell will next week name an extended squad for a training camp in Portugal ahead of the start of the 2024 competition.

"It's disappointing for us to lose Mack for such a period of time," Connacht head coach Pete Wilkins told RTE Sport.

"Obviously there'll be a knock-on effect to the Irish campaign in the Six Nations and most of all disappointment for Mack.

"He was starting to find some form and rhythm having been a little bit stop-start since the World Cup.

"Everyone loses out in that sense and the fans will miss watching him play as well so it's up to us to fill that gap and other players get a chance to step up.

"He's not lost his sense of humour, thankfully, he was in with us at the end of last week so very much around the place albeit in a sling.

"He's gone off for surgery today. We've had lots of contact with him. It's about trying to keep his spirits up. The key thing is to get this surgery and these initial couple of days out of the way and you can start on that rehab campaign.

"He's had a shoulder injury before, a similar injury when he was at Brumbies in Australia so although that's unfortunate to have it twice, at the same time he's familiar with the surgical process, familiar with rehab and that length of time."

Api Ratuniyarawa: Fiji international rugby player sent to prison for series of sexual offences​

Fiji international rugby player Api Ratuniyarawa has been sentenced to two years and 10 months in prison for a series of sexual offences.

Ratuniyarawa, 37, admitted two counts of assault by penetration and one charge of sexual assault at a hearing in December in relation to three young women.

The Fiji lock had been due to feature on the bench for the Barbarians in their match against Wales at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff on November 4 2023.

Cardiff Crown Court previously heard the offences took place between October 31 and November 2 last year.

Ratuniyarawa, who lives in Northamptonshire, denied two further charges of sexual assault relating to one of the three women.

The court previously heard the father-of-four had been without a club since the summer when Premiership side London Irish went into receivership.

The sentencing hearing was told Ratuniyarawa had travelled to Cardiff ahead of the Barbarians match, "to attend media commitments and training for the fixture".

Prosecuting, Heath Edwards said "the defendant appears to have spent many of his nights socialising" in the week prior to the game.

The prosecution said Ratuniyarawa attended the Revolution bar in Cardiff on the evenings of October 31, November 1 and 2. The court was shown CCTV footage of all three incidents from the bar's VIP area.

One of his victims, who is a student in the city, read her personal impact statement in court.

"My attack came out of the blue. It was sudden, shocking," she said. "I feel degraded, embarrassed and humiliated. I still do.

She said the incident had "started not just to impact [her] but [her] family".

"I should be excited to be going out with my friends, but I can't stop thinking about what has happened," she added. "He's ruined my life by what he's done, and I feel like I'm in my own personal hell."

She told the court she had been "such an independent person" prior to the incident.

"I couldn't shower until I'd been examined and all I wanted to do was wash that man off me," she said.

"This man had his whole career ahead of him, and such a high-profile person. He did this to me."

In mitigation, Ruth Smith KC said the defendant would like to apologise for his actions but that he had "limited recollection" of the incidents.

Ms Smith told the court Ratuniyarawa had "never drunk that much before in his entire life".

"This incident fell at a time of upheaval in the person life of the defendant," she added.

"He was without employment. He is a gentlemen that supports not only his immediate family financially, but a range of others financially. And it resulted in a situation of stress for him," Ms Smith said.

The court heard the defendant had been described "by those that run Fiji Rugby as a dedicated and valuable asset".

"He knows his legacy is forever tarnished with behaviour that is reflected in these counts," Ms Smith added.

"He has not only let himself down, his family, but also his country in respect of his behaviour."

Judge Tracey Lloyd-Clarke also granted a restraining order of three years in relation to one of the victims.

Source: SKY

As a sports fan it doesn't feel good to hear such a news about a player but it is unfortunate that such news come after a few months involving a person playing some kind of professional sport.

Andy Farrell has been appointed head coach of the British and Irish Lions for the 2025 tour to Australia.

The Englishman, currently coaching Ireland, succeeds Warren Gatland in the role, having served as his assistant for the 2013 and 2017 Lions series.

Farrell, 48, has led Ireland to a first series win in New Zealand and a Six Nations Grand Slam since taking charge in 2019.

Last month he signed a new Ireland contract that runs until 2027.

His role with the Lions will start in December 2024.

BBC

Bordeaux Begles 55-15 Saracens: Sarries thrashed by French side in Investec Champions Cup

Saracens suffered a club record European defeat as Matthieu Jalibert inspired Bordeaux Begles to a superb nine-try Investec Champions Cup win.

France fly-half Jalibert set up three of four first-half tries as the hosts ran the Premiership champions ragged.

Jalibert, Damian Penaud with his second try and Nicolas Depoortere all touched down after the break as Bordeaux racked up 43 points without reply.

Saracens scored two tries but the hosts added two more to pass 50 points.

The thrashing means Saracens have lost five of their past seven games.

The three-time European Cup winners drop below Bristol in Pool 1 to fifth place on points difference with one round of games to go.

Bristol go to bottom side Connacht on Friday while Saracens face second-placed Lyon at home on Saturday. The top four in each pool qualify for the last 16.

Bordeaux clinched their place in the knockout stages and will aim to ensure they finish top of the group by beating the Bulls in South Africa.

The French side have now scored 20 tries in three thumping pool wins to underline their title credentials.

BBC

Irish referee Joy Neville, the first woman to officiate at a men's Rugby World Cup, has announced she will retire at the end of the season.

The 40-year-old was selected as a television match official for last year's tournament in France.

Neville officiated at five pool stage matches, including England's 34-12 victory over Japan in Nice.

The Limerick native, a former Ireland captain, also refereed the Women's Rugby World Cup final in 2017.

New Zealand defeated England 41-32 in that decider in Belfast and won the World Rugby Referee Award that same year.

She will take up a new role as referee development manager in Connacht, working to recruit and train referees.

"When I first took up the whistle after my playing career concluded, I could never have imagined the places the game would take me," Neville said in a statement issued by the Irish Rugby Football Union.

"To be involved in, firstly, the Women's Rugby World Cup final was a huge honour and to then progress through to the men's Rugby World Cup made me incredibly proud and it's only when I look back now that I can truly appreciate those achievements."

Neville's playing career saw her play for Shannon and UL Bohemian and also represent Munster with distinction.

She won 70 caps for Ireland, captaining the team during the 2009 Women's Six Nations Championship, leading the Ireland women to their inaugural win over France.

Neville won a Women's Six Nations Grand Slam in 2013 and featured in two Women's Rugby World Cups in 2006 and 2010.

After her playing days ended, Neville rose up the refereeing ranks from All-Ireland League level to the World Rugby Sevens Series, the United Rugby Championship, EPCR Challenge Cup and Champions Cup tournaments.

IRFU performance director David Nucifora said: "I would like to thank Joy for her incredible service to Irish rugby. Since her retirement as a player following an illustrious career, she has diligently applied herself to match officiating and steadily rose up the ranks to the highest levels of the game.

"A pioneer for women's sport in Ireland, it is fitting that she bows out at the top having recently become the first female match official to officiate at a Men's Rugby World Cup.

"I am delighted that Joy has agreed to continue her long and distinguished association with Irish rugby and would like to wish her well in her new role with Connacht."

Source: BBC Sport

England squad: Who could make Steve Borthwick's squad for the 2024 Six Nations?​

England head coach Steve Borthwick is set to name his first squad since a third-place finish at last year's Rugby World Cup.

With retirements, injuries and France-based players barred from selection, there should be a number of fresh faces when the squad is revealed on Wednesday.

So who could force their way into the squad as a new World Cup cycle begins?

Henry Slade - Exeter Chiefs
The 30-year-old was the highest-profile omission from Borthwick's World Cup squad. The centre, who was picked for the previous two World Cups, appeared in 30 of England's 37 Tests before the tournament in France but missed out on the final 33-man squad.

Since then, Slade has gone to a new level of form and consistency with Exeter Chiefs. Six tries this season and match-winning kicks against Gloucester, Toulon and Glasgow indicate he is very much still a player for the big occasions.

With Manu Tuilagi likely to miss the start of the Six Nations because of injury and Joe Marchant now ineligible because he plays his rugby in France for Stade Francais, it means there will be a new centre pairing come the Six Nations.

Immanuel Feyi-Waboso - Exeter Chiefs
The Cardiff-born winger represented Wales at age-grade level and had been tipped for a call-up to Warren Gatland's squad.

However, it looks like the 21-year-old, who qualifies for England through family heritage, will choose England over Wales.

Feyi-Waboso moved from Cardiff to Wasps in 2022 before switching to Exeter later that year after Wasps' demise.

His speed, strength and footwork make him one of the most dangerous wingers in the Premiership.

He has scored five tries in the league this season, with his most recent being a spectacular acrobatic finish against Northampton.

As well as being a key player in the rebuilding of Exeter's youthful team, he is also studying for a medical degree at Exeter University,

Alfie Barbeary - Bath
"You can become the premier ball-carrier in European rugby," the words of Bath head coach Johann van Graan to his new recruit.

The Bath number eight was previously invited into the England camp by Eddie Jones after impressing for Wasps in his debut Premiership season. However, injuries prevented the powerful forward from any further involvement.

Still only 23, his move to Bath has rejuvenated the former hooker.

Despite being sent off in Sunday's Champions Cup victory over Racing 92, the forward put in an impressive performance on both sides of the ball to show he is one of the most destructive ball-carriers in Europe.

With Courtney Lawes retiring from international rugby, Jack Willis no longer eligible and Tom Curry's injury ruling him out the Six Nations, England are in need of fresh back-row options.

Tommy Freeman - Northampton Saints
The 22-year-old was another young talent identified by former head coach Jones. Freeman started both Test victories over Australia in 2022 on the wing but subsequently lost his place in the side.

As a utility back who can play centre, wing and full-back he offers the versatility that Borthwick looks for in a squad. Eleven tries this season indicates he has added a finishing instinct which both Jones and Borthwick may have believed was the final component missing from his game.

Allowed a free role at Saints, his starring performance against Bayonne on Friday was the perfect example of how he floats off his wing to marry his smart running lines and power ball carrying.

Asher Opoku-Fordjour - Sale Sharks
The teenage Sale prop shocked Harlequins' Joe Marler in only his second Premiership game, winning a scrum penalty which resulted in a wry smile from the England international.

Sale head coach Alex Sanderson tried but failed to play down the hype for the 19-year-old tight-head after his European debut against Stade Francais last month.

"He is doing things that I have never seen 18, 19-year-old props do before," he said.

The youngster has freakish strength at scrum time because of his "fast twitch" muscle fibres which you "just don't get anymore" in tight-heads, according to Sanderson.

Opoku-Fordjour, who has come off the bench in Sale's European games against Stade, Leinster and Stormers, might be a little bit too raw but England are looking for new talent with Dan Cole nearing the end of his England career and Kyle Sinckler struggling for form and fitness.

In addition, England are currently without loose-head props Marler and Bevan Rodd because of injury, while Ellis Genge is a doubt because of injury and Mako Vunipola has retired from international rugby.

Opoku-Fordjour featured last season for England under-20s at loose-head at both the Six Nations and World Championship in South Africa.

Fin Smith - Northampton Saints
The Northampton Saints fly-half, like Barbeary, has been in the England camp before after being selected by Borthwick in last season's Six Nations squad.

Only 20 at the time, Smith was able to learn off Owen Farrell, George Ford and Marcus Smith and has taken his game to another level this season, helping the Saints to the top of the Premiership and qualify for the knockout stage of the Champions Cup.

With Farrell pulling out of the Six Nations in order to prioritise his and his family's mental wellbeing and Ford's recent injury setback, there may be a slot opening up for the in-form fly-half.

Although small in stature, Smith has a measured kicking game and is an assured goal kicker, as demonstrated in his near faultless display off the tee against Bayonne.

With namesake Marcus Smith's ability to play at full-back, the 21-year-old Saints star could even be eyeing up the starting jersey.

Reports have suggested Scotland are also interested in Smith because of his family heritage, which might prompt Borthwick to get the former Worcester Warrior involved now rather than risk losing him.

For me, Alfie Barbeary and Tommy Freeman should be part of the squad. They seem to be good enough to serve England for along time.

Louis Rees-Zammit leaves rugby ahead of Six Nations to pursue NFL career, departing Gloucester and Wales​

Louis Rees-Zammit has announced he is to join the NFL's international player pathway programme this month and will depart Gloucester and Wales Rugby.

The 22-year-old wing, who has been a key performer for Wales since breaking into the team in 2020, has scored 14 tries across 31 Test caps, and toured with the British and Irish Lions in 2021.

Rees-Zammit has scored 38 tries in 69 appearances for Premiership side Gloucester, and most recently scored five tries in five Rugby World Cup appearances for Wales in France.

Gloucester confirmed the immediate release of Rees-Zammit from his contract, with the player announcing the move mere minutes before Warren Gatland confirmed his Wales squad for the 2024 Six Nations.

Rees-Zammit said: "Gloucester Rugby has been a huge part of my life. From the start at Hartpury College and my first professional rugby contract with Gloucester in 2020, to my Wales and Lions caps; the club has been central to my development as a player, and I'm so grateful for their support.

"I will always be very proud of my time at Kingsholm and want to particularly thank the incredible fans who make the club so special. Also, to my teammates, to George Skivington and Alex Brown, thank you for giving me such special memories and for supporting this next stage of my career.

"I have had the incredible honour of playing rugby for my country which, as a proud Welshman, I've never taken for granted. However, I believe that this is the right time for me to realise another professional goal of playing American football in the US. Those opportunities don't come around very often."

Source: SKY

It has come as a surprise to me because he has been doing great in Rugby. It would be interesting to see if he can find success in NFL.

Dafydd Jenkins has won 12 caps for Wales, making his debut in November 2022. Exeter boss Rob Baxter says Wales head coach Warren Gatland can build a side around new captain Dafydd Jenkins.

The 21-year-old will be the second-youngest man to lead Wales, with Jac Morgan and Dewi Lake missing the Six Nations with injury.

Jenkins only made his Wales debut in November 2022, having only made his Premiership debut the February before.

"It just shows you what these young men are capable of if they train hard and work hard," Baxter told BBC Sport.

"The one thing he's got is he's got the attitude in training and around the place that you look and go 'we can build a team around this guy'.

"I think that's what I look at, I look at that way more than someone who can stand there, sound good, says nice things and does stuff.

"For me your captains, your leaders and the people you really want driving your team are the guys that you look at and go 'I can build a team around you'.

"He's got that quality and if someone said to me 'what's the quality that he's got more than anything else', it'd be that, you'd feel very comfortable building a team around him."

Feyi-Waboso England decision about more than rugby.

Source : BBC Sports

Elton Jantjies: World Cup winner handed four-year ban for doping

South Africa fly-half Elton Jantjies has been given a four-year ban from the sport for doping, the South African Institute for Drug Free Sport (SAIDS) has announced.

Jantjies, who won the 2019 World Cup with the Springboks, tested positive for Clenbuterol last year.

The banned drug can burn fat but is also found in asthma medication.

The 33-year-old had said in August he was "shocked and sad" and insisted he was innocent.

SAIDS said in the ruling: "The athlete did not exercise his right to have their case heard before an Independent Doping Hearing Panel."

Jantjies has not made a statement himself since the ruling but his agent, Anthony Johnson, told South African press he had been making inquiries about fighting the outcome.

The player most recently competed for French club Agen but has played for Japanese sides Red Hurricanes Osaka and Shining Oaks.

He won 46 caps for South Africa and last competed for his country in 2022.

BBC

Gloucester number eight Zach Mercer says he is "done" with England for now after missing out on selection for the forthcoming Six Nations Championship.

Mercer, who won two caps in 2018, returned to the Premiership this season after two years in France, with the aim of playing for his country again.

He was also overlooked for a place in the World Cup squad last autumn.

The 26-year-old said he does not feel head coach Steve Borthwick "values what he can offer" as a player.

"I'm older, more mature, I put the international selection aside now, I'm done for the time being with that and I'm just going to focus on Gloucester," Mercer told BBC Sport.

Mercer played twice for England under Borthwick's predecessor Eddie Jones and was on the periphery of the Australian's squad before transferring to Montpellier in the French Top 14 in 2020, in a move that made him ineligible for selection.

He thrived in France and won the league title during his first year, and was named Top 14 Player of the Year in 2022.

After signing for Gloucester last summer, he was included in Borthwick's training squad prior to the World Cup in France but was dropped when the final squad was named.

He took part in another England training session earlier this month, having recovered from an ankle injury, and hoped to have done enough to have made the Six Nations cut.

"To come back and get given three weeks in a training camp and that was it, I was really disappointed with that," Mercer said.

"I've been open with Steve, I've told him my opinions on it. I thought I haven't really been given a crack which is what I feel like, to not even be given a game to try and prove myself is tough.

"I just don't feel like he values what I can offer as a player and that's me being honest, I don't think he values what I can bring.

Gloucester number eight Zach Mercer says he is "done" with England for now after missing out on selection for the forthcoming Six Nations Championship.

Mercer, who won two caps in 2018, returned to the Premiership this season after two years in France, with the aim of playing for his country again.

He was also overlooked for a place in the World Cup squad last autumn.

The 26-year-old said he does not feel head coach Steve Borthwick "values what he can offer" as a player.

"I'm older, more mature, I put the international selection aside now, I'm done for the time being with that and I'm just going to focus on Gloucester," Mercer told BBC Sport.

Mercer played twice for England under Borthwick's predecessor Eddie Jones and was on the periphery of the Australian's squad before transferring to Montpellier in the French Top 14 in 2020, in a move that made him ineligible for selection.

He thrived in France and won the league title during his first year, and was named Top 14 Player of the Year in 2022.

After signing for Gloucester last summer, he was included in Borthwick's training squad prior to the World Cup in France but was dropped when the final squad was named.

He took part in another England training session earlier this month, having recovered from an ankle injury, and hoped to have done enough to have made the Six Nations cut.

"To come back and get given three weeks in a training camp and that was it, I was really disappointed with that," Mercer said.

"I've been open with Steve, I've told him my opinions on it. I thought I haven't really been given a crack which is what I feel like, to not even be given a game to try and prove myself is tough.

"I just don't feel like he values what I can offer as a player and that's me being honest, I don't think he values what I can bring.

Newcastle Falcons have appointed Steve Diamond as consultant director of rugby with current boss Alex Codling to step down from his role.

Forwards coach Micky Ward will take charge of the club on an interim basis for their games against Perpignan and Northampton before Diamond arrives.

Diamond, 54, will also continue his consultancy role at the RFU in addition to taking over at Kingston Park.

BBC

Bayonne produced a stunning display to claim a maiden Investec Champions Cup win with a bonus-point victory over 2020 winners Exeter.

The French side scored first-half tries through Tom Spring, Kote Mikautadze, Aurelien Callandret and Victor Hannoun.

Dan Frost crossed for Exeter, who had already secured a home last-16 tie.

Dafydd Jenkins and Rus Tuima edged them closer to a losing bonus and a tie with holders La Rochelle before a Federico Mori double set-up a derby with Bath.

Exeter went down to 12 players in the final stages after losing Joe Hawkins to a red card for an upright head-on-head tackle, with Jack Yeandle and new Wales captain Dafydd Jenkins already in the sin-bin.

Defeat for Chiefs was their first in this year's tournament as they finished second in Pool 3, while Bayonne drop down into the Challenge Cup after ending the pool stage in fifth.

BBC

Six Nations 2024: England's Ollie Lawrence and Luke Cowan-Dickie withdraw from training camp​

England are set to be without centre Ollie Lawrence and hooker Luke Cowan-Dickie for their Six Nations opener against Italy.

Both picked up injuries in last weekend's Investec Champions Cup and have withdrawn from the training camp in Girona.

England have called up Newcastle's Jamie Blamire and the Bath pair of centre Max Ojomoh and wing Will Muir.

Ojomoh, 23, is the son of former Bath, Gloucester and England back row Steve.

Harlequins centre Oscar Beard is going through return-to-play protocols after concussion but has travelled to northern Spain.

England have not specified the nature or severity of Cowan-Dickie or Lawrence's injury but it's understood both are doubts for the game in Rome on 3 February.

Lawrence's absence especially would be a major blow to head coach Steve Borthwick, with the Bath man earmarked to start in the midfield against the Azzurri.

It leaves England light for options at inside centre. Henry Slade is better suited to wearing number 13, as is Tommy Freeman, while Borthwick no longer has the option to deploy Owen Farrell at number 12, as has so often been the case over the past decade.

Fraser Dingwall, Northampton's in-form but uncapped centre, is now a strong contender to make his England debut in the Stadio Olimpico, should Lawrence not be fit.

Saints have been in outstanding nick this season both domestically and in the Champions Cup, with scrum-half Alex Mitchell, fly-half Fin Smith and full-back George Furbank also in the England squad along with Dingwall and Furbank.

All five started in the backline as 14-man Northampton pulled off a sensational win at Munster on Saturday to top their pool, and Borthwick says he will be looking to harness Saints' momentum as he prepares his England team over the next 10 days.

Meanwhile, Cowan-Dickie had won a recall to the squad after missing last year's World Cup with a shoulder injury.

"You look at the way Fin, and Mitch [Alex Mitchell] and Tommy Freeman and Fraser Dingwall, the way they have taken Northampton on," said Borthwick.

"I think they have changed the way they have played slightly, and I think it is a great change.

"Away in Thomond Park in those conditions, the way they stayed in that fight, the way they were relentless in doing the right thing at the right time and the way they took scoring opportunities, I think that shows a team that has the right mindset, the mindset we want to make sure we have with this England team."

Leicester Tigers forwards coach Luke Stratford has been suspended for seven weeks for verbally abusing a match official during their Women's Premiership Rugby defeat by Bristol.

He was cited for using an expletive and calling fourth official Adam White "a joke" during the match on 13 January.

A disciplinary panel found him guilty of "conduct prejudicial to the interests of the game".

Sanctions for abuse of match officials has recently been increased in England.

The Rugby Football Union said the seven-week suspension followed their decision to give players and coaches longer bans for such behaviour at all levels of the game.

Stratford is said to have acknowledged official White's report on the incident and "fully accepted" his behaviour was "inappropriate and unacceptable".

BBC

Rassie Erasmus: South Africa's director of rugby suffers 'freak chemical burns' injury​

Rassie Erasmus, director of rugby for world champions South Africa, is recovering in hospital after undergoing treatment for chemical burns.

The 51-year-old was injured in a "freak accident" while using a powerful detergent, South Africa Rugby said.

Erasmus coached the Springboks to World Cup glory in 2019 and was heavily involved as director of rugby in their 2023 triumph as well.

Erasmus "expects to return to full-time working within weeks".

"Rassie Erasmus, SA Rugby's director of rugby, is recovering in hospital following a medical procedure for chemical burns sustained in a freak accident using a powerful detergent product," South Africa Rugby said.

"He is otherwise in good health."

With 2023 World Cup-winning coach Jacques Nienaber having moved to Irish province Leinster, Erasmus has taken over the head coach role with the Springboks once again.

South Africa are not in action until July, when they host Ireland at Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria.

England Six Nations: Jamie George draws inspiration from men's cricket team to 'put smiles on fans' faces'​

England want to draw inspiration from the men's cricket team to "put smiles on fans' faces", says new captain Jamie George.

England's cricketers produced one of their best ever away wins to beat India on Sunday.

The 33-year-old admires their message to be "entertainers" and wants his side to do the same after only two wins from their past five games at home.

"I'm not saying we are going to go all out on attack," George told BBC Sport.

"But what I am saying is Ben Stokes talks a lot about expressing themselves and the fact that they are entertainers.

"Something at the forefront of our mind, especially at the minute, is how we can put smiles on people's faces, how we can bring Twickenham back to that fortress we want it to be."

Since taking charge of England, head coach Steve Borthwick has suffered a record home defeat by France and a first ever defeat by Fiji, which was also at Twickenham.

England travel to Italy on Saturday for their opening game of this year's Six Nations before their first game at Twickenham - since that Fiji defeat - against Wales on 10 February.

Hooker George was named England captain for the campaign in the absence of Saracens team-mate Owen Farrell.

Farrell, who will leave Saracens to join Racing 92 in July, has captained England since 2019 but ruled himself out of the tournament to prioritise his and his family's mental wellbeing.

The Rugby Football Union (RFU) does not allow players based abroad to be selected for England, meaning George could likely be England's new long-term captain.

Despite playing under Farrell at both Saracens and England, George says he is "very comfortable" in the role.

"In terms of style, I am a people person. I care about relationships, I care about people loving their time playing for England," the 33-year-old said.

"I have been on a bit of a rollercoaster ride - some of the best times of my life have been playing for England, but I have had some difficult times while playing for England also.

"For me, and I said it to the boys, that was one of the first things I said, being in this environment and playing for England, should be the best time of your life, it should be the best time of your career.

"And I'm very passionate about making sure people are in a position to do that."

'Battle-hardened' England have an advantage
Borthwick insists England's "battle-hardened" players will give his side an advantage over their rivals in the Six Nations.

England's 36-man squad have comfortably played the highest number of minutes since their third-place finish at the World Cup. Per player they have registered over two hours of game time more than next highest France.

Six English teams have reached the knockout stage of the Investec Champions Cup and the Premiership, despite losing three teams from last season, is as competitive as it has ever been, with only seven points separating eighth and second.

"Generally I will try to look at the positive side and I have a group of players that are match-hardened. They are ready to go," Borthwick said.

"The other thing is the nature of the Premiership. All of the games are counting so the leverage of all these games is huge.

"And there have been teams fighting in Europe to get qualification, fighting to find a way to win which, again, is a real positive.

"Everything we're getting is saying all the clubs are running more than they were 12 months ago, so that's a real positive."

2024 Six Nations: England's Marcus Smith ruled out of opener against Italy in Rome​

Fly-half Marcus Smith has been ruled out of England's Six Nations opener against Italy in Rome on Saturday with a calf injury.

Smith, who had been expected to start against the Azzurri, was injured in training on Monday.

His absence means Northampton's in-form Fin Smith, 21, is set to make his international debut in the Stadio Olimpico.

England will confirm their starting XV and replacements on Thursday evening.

"[Marcus] won't make this weekend, sadly," said England assistant coach Kevin Sinfield.

"We got the scan report through but we are waiting to understand exactly what that means for us moving forward. He's not fit for this weekend."

As well as Fin Smith, England can also call on the vastly experienced George Ford, but Marcus Smith's absence is another setback for head coach Steve Borthwick.

England are already without the whole of the midfield axis that helped them to the World Cup semi-finals and an eventual third-placed finish, with Owen Farrell and Joe Marchant unavailable, and Ollie Lawrence and Manu Tuilagi injured.

Scrum-half Maxime Lucu will start for France in the absence of Antoine Dupont in the Six Nations opener against Ireland in Marseille on Friday.

Dupont, 27, will miss the tournament to play in the World Rugby Sevens Series before the Paris Olympics this summer.

Lucu started two pool games at last year's World Cup when Dupont was injured.

Coach Fabien Galthie makes five changes to the side that lost the quarter-final to South Africa in October.

Henshaw and McCarthy start for Ireland against France
Uncapped Racing 92 scrum-half Nolann le Garrec, 21, has been named on the bench.

Ireland beat France in Dublin last year on their way to winning the Grand Slam.

Number eight Gregory Alldritt, who takes over from Dupont as captain, is joined by Francois Cros on the flank after Anthony Jelonch's knee injury.

Winger Yoram Moefana is selected ahead of 20-year-old Louis Bielle-Biarrey, while Paul Gabrillagues and Paul Willemse are named in the second row.

Line-ups
France: T Ramos; D Penaud, G Fickou, J Danty, Y Moefana; M Jalibert, M Lucu; C Baille, P Mauvaka, U Atonio; P Gabrillagues, P Willemse; F Cros, C Ollivon, G Alldritt (capt).

Replacements: J Marchand, R Wardi, D Aldegheri, R Taofifenua, C Woki, P Boudehent, N Le Garrec, L Bielle-Biarrey.

Ireland: H Keenan; C Nash, R Henshaw, B Aki, J Lowe; J Crowley, J Gibson-Park; A Porter, D Sheehan, T Furlong; J McCarthy, T Beirne; P O'Mahony (capt), J van def Flier, C Doris.

Replacements: R Kelleher, C Healy, F Bealham, J Ryan, R Baird, J Conan, C Murray, C Frawley.

Source: BBC Sports

The Scotland team that will face Wales in their Six Nations opener on Saturday

tTR2m3C.jpg

Ethan Roots and Fraser Dingwall will make their England debuts against Italy in Rome on Saturday on the opening weekend of the Six Nations.

Dingwall, 24, is named at inside centre alongside the returning Henry Slade and Roots will start at blind-side flanker.

The experienced George Ford will steer England's attack from fly-half.

England head coach Steve Borthwick has also named the uncapped trio of Chandler Cunningham-South, Fin Smith and Immanuel Feyi-Waboso on the bench.

Hooker Jamie George's tenure as captain will begin in Rome, while Tommy Freeman is rewarded for his impressive form in Northampton Saints' charge to the top of the Premiership table with a starting berth on the wing.

"After an excellent week's preparation in Girona, we look forward to the challenge of playing Italy in Rome," said Borthwick.

"The Azzurri are a dangerous team, with some talented ball carriers and players who like to find space.

"We'll need to make good decisions, keep our discipline, and maintain a level of intensity to our performance from the first whistle to the last."

Speaking about the inclusion of five uncapped players in the matchday 23, Borthwick added: "Winning a first cap for your country is always a very special occasion.

"We're delighted for the debutants who have all worked incredibly hard to get themselves selected in the 23 to face Italy. I know Saturday will be a very proud moment for the players and their families.

"My message to them this week has been to be themselves, to grasp their opportunity, and to play with the strengths and skills that deservedly got them selected to a strong Six Nations squad."

Five England debuts could be made in the Eternal City. Only once has that number been surpassed, when seven players won their first cap against Scotland in 2012.

It is a clear indication of a new era.

Courtney Lawes, Mako Vunipola, Ben Youngs and Jonny May have retired from international duty, while several players who ply their trade overseas are ineligible for selection and former captain Owen Farrell is taking a break from Test rugby and will move to France at the end of the season.

There is still plenty of experience in the form of George, his vice-captain Ford, veteran prop Joe Marler, lock Maro Itoje and wing Elliot Daly.

But they are supported by a blend of young talent. Dingwall has been involved in 10 previous England camps and finally earns a cap with Farrell and Manu Tuilagi not involved, while 26-year-old New-Zealand born flanker Roots has played his way into the side after a breakout campaign for Exeter Chiefs.

Borthwick has picked players in form and 21-year-old fly-half Fin Smith benefits from his impressive run for Northampton with a spot on the bench.

The talented Feyi-Waboso, 21, is also among the replacements, along with powerful ball carrying of 20-year-old flanker Cunningham-South.

England: Steward; Freeman, Slade, Dingwall, Daly; Ford, Mitchell; Marler, George (capt), Stuart, Itoje, Chessum, Roots, Underhill, Earl.

Replacements: Dan, Genge, Cole, Coles, Cunningham-South, Care, F Smith, Feyi-Waboso

BBC Sport

Six Nations 2024: France 17-38 Ireland - Irish claim bonus-point win over 14-man hosts in Marseille

Ireland began their Six Nations title defence in momentous fashion as they claimed their biggest ever away win over 14-man France in Marseille.

Irish tries by Jamison Gibson-Park and Tadhg Beirne combined with France's Paul Willemse's sending off had Ireland in a strong position after 30 minutes.

Damian Penaud's try breathed new life into France just before half-time.

But despite captain Peter O'Mahony's yellow card, Ireland overcame their hosts to record a statement win.

Having controlled the majority of the first half before Penaud's try, Ireland stretched their lead to 14 points thanks to Calvin Nash's try.

But France, the pre-tournament favourites, hit back with a Paul Gabrillagues try, with O'Mahony sin-binned for bringing down the French maul.

But after Dan Sheehan sealed the Irish bonus point, the visitors regained control before Ronan Kelleher's late try capped a famous night for the men in green.

For Ireland, a triumphant night in Marseille will provide the perfect tonic to banish any lingering hurt from their World Cup disappointment as they kicked off the post-Johnny Sexton era with their first away win over France since 2018.

But for France, who are without talismanic captain Antoine Dupont as he chases his Olympic dream with the country's Sevens team, this will be a bitter pill to swallow and a big blow to their hopes of reclaiming the Six Nations title.

England dominated the second half to come from behind and launch their Six Nations campaign with victory in Italy.

Alex Mitchell's try after the interval overturned a narrow deficit before George Ford's boot edged England clear.

The Azzurri had threatened a first win over England as Alessandro Garbisi and Tommaso Allan scored either side of an Elliot Daly finish for the visitors.

Monty Ioane scored a late consolation and earned a losing bonus point in Italy's smallest defeat by England.

Steve Borthwick's England were far from their fluent best but victory in Rome puts them second in the table and ends a run of four Six Nations opening-game defeats.

Jamie George captained the side for the first time while head coach Borthwick also handed out five England debuts for the first time since seven players won their first cap against Scotland in 2012.

Fraser Dingwall and Ethan Roots, who claimed the man-of-the-match award, impressed from the start before Fin Smith, Chandler Cunningham-South and Immanuel Feyi-Waboso began their Test careers from the bench.

England host Wales in round two at Twickenham next Saturday, while the Azzurri travel to defending champions Ireland the following afternoon.

Six Nations 2024: Captivating chaos in Cardiff as Wales fall just short against Scotland​

They say things always look clearer after a good night's sleep. A bit of time and distance to reflect and bring the clarity you are looking for.

That is not applicable on every occasion. Wales' 27-26 defeat against Scotland in a Six Nations spectacular at the Principality Stadium is one of those times.

It remains difficult to comprehend what we witnessed in Cardiff on Saturday evening. Most would agree it is one of the most remarkable and entertaining matches you are likely to witness.

Rarely has the old cliche about a game of two halves been more applicable, with Scotland building a 27-point advantage that was almost hauled back by Wales, only for the away side to cling on and win by a point.

As poor as Wales were in the first half - and they were dreadful - Warren Gatland's side excelled in the second. Flip that scenario for Gregor Townsend's side as their discipline disintegrated.

The historic Scotland win that felt like a defeat

After dominating the opening 45 minutes, the visitors came close to being overwhelmed and almost falling victim to the biggest Six Nations comeback in history.

The Wales side finishing the match, led by 21-year-old captain Dafydd Jenkins, was highly inexperienced but full of attacking endeavour and character as they almost pulled off an unexpected sporting miracle.

It was not to be on this occasion. But what drama ensued.

First half woe​

Scotland celebrate a first win in Cardiff for 22 years

Gatland apologised for Wales' first-half display which he labelled one of the worst in his coaching career. Quite the sentiment given that particular vocation has spanned more than three decades.

It is hard to disagree with his appraisal. Use any negative adjective you desire and you will not be far off.

A woeful lineout, poor discipline, inexplicable handling errors and a bemusing kicking strategy that was either not implemented correctly or raised questions about the tactical approach constructed.

All those factors paved the way for Scotland captain Finn Russell to dictate events in a complete first-half fly-half display.

Whether it was his pinpoint kicks or his wizardry orchestrating tries, Russell made the most of his exploited his armchair ride, while wing Duhan van der Merwe bulldozed his way through a passive Wales defence.

Scotland were in cruise control as they appeared to be easing to that first Cardiff victory in 22 years.

All the pre-match assessment seemed to be coming to pass. The inexperienced Welsh side, shorn of so many recent greats, were overpowered and outclassed, so it was going to the script. Not many would have predicted what was to unfold.

Complete contrast​

Trailing 20-0 to Scotland at home at half-time was embarrassing. Statistics such as Wales' record defeat and the last time the national side finished a game pointless were being explored.

This was before the second van der Merwe try a few minutes into the second half extended the lead further.

The replacements Gatland introduced at half-time took a little time to impact before making the desired impression.

Unsung hooker Elliot Dee, with two World Cups, two Six Nations titles and almost 50 caps to his name, helped shore up the line-out.

Scrum-half Tomos Williams provided the tempo, linking up effectively with fly-half Ioan Lloyd who had replaced the injured Sam Costelow.

New cap Alex Mann brought energy as he slotted into the back row with the young Cardiff flanker crossing for the bonus-point try.

They were among seven replacements who galvanised the side. Expect some of those players to be in the starting line-up next weekend.

The 26-point scoring spree came in 23 magical minutes for Welsh supporters as their team exploited Scotland being reduced to 14 men via two yellow cards.

While the no-fear policy from a young and daring bunch brought Wales back into contention, the final 10 minutes demonstrated the benefits of experience in closing a game out.

During the frantic finale, Wales failed to engineer a clear-cut chance to secure that improbable victory and had to be content with two losing bonus points.

Victory is what matters in Test rugby with new skipper Jenkins acknowledging this on his special day as Wales captain for the first time, saying: "My family are incredibly proud, but it doesn't really mean anything if you're not winning."

Back-row boys​

Aaron Wainwright has played in two World Cups

Aaron Wainwright achieved the rare distinction of being given the player-of-the match award in a losing cause.

It was reward for his talismanic second-half display where he claimed one of Wales' four tries. For 40 minutes, he rampaged in a manner that would have been signed off by great Welsh number eights such as Mervyn Davies, Scott Quinnell and Taulupe Faletau.

The crowd marvelled at his link play with Dragons pal Rio Dyer as the wing typified the new carefree attacking approach.

Injured Faletau has for so long been the dominant figure in the middle of Wales' back-row but this is Wainwright's time.

He has recognised he is the most experienced back-row resource for Gatland's demonstrated his new leadership role with an all-action display.

Equally as impressive was foraging flanker Tommy Reffell. Wainwright shone when Wales were rampant but Reffell was effective throughout, especially in the first-half debacle, providing the hosts with some respite via turnover penalties.

If New Zealand referee Ben O'Keefe had penalised Scotland replacement Cameron Redpath for a high tackle on Reffell in the closing stages, the result might have been different.

With World Cup co-captain Jac Morgan injured, Wales are striving for a back-row balance and a position remains up for grabs to complement Wainwright and Reffell.

James Botham managed a second-half try before Mann replaced him. Who Gatland decides to start with at Twickenham remains to be seen.

Cardiff crew​

Alex Mann (number 20) celebrates scoring a try with his fellow Wales new cap and Cardiff team-mate Cameron Winnett

Watching Wales this weekend in that stunning second half evoked comparisons with Cardiff's performances this season.

Matt Sherratt's side have not won many games but it's always an entertaining experience to watch with them with most defeats being narrow with young players thrown into the cauldron.

There should no surprise in similarities given there were eight Cardiff players finishing the game for Wales.

After shedding tears in the anthem, full-back Cameron Winnett produced a solid display in his first international, while prop Corey Domachowski demonstrated his resilience and fitness by producing a rare 80-minute performance for a player in his position.

Mann, Tomos Williams, Teddy Williams and Keiron Assiratti made their mark as second-half introductions, while Mason Grady joined Josh Adams in the backline.

Adams was singled out by Gatland after the match for a needless first-half penalty conceded when he threw the ball away as Scotland attempted a quick line-out.

With Russell punishing this misdemeanour with a penalty, the Wales coach highlighted that as a factor in the defeat. Ironic given Wales did not concede a second-half penalty.

Adams will be waiting to see if he pays the selection price against England at Twickenham next Saturday.

Captivated Cardiff crowd​

Current Six Nations statistics are stark for Wales. This was an eighth defeat in the last nine games in the tournament and a fifth successive loss at home, Wales' worst run since the competition expanded in 2000.

Despite some critics saying the atmosphere has been found wanting in recent years, Saturday demonstrated the Principality Stadium remains one of the finest rugby venues to play in.

There was an inevitable flat element about the first half as Scotland dominated but the mood changed with Wales' captivating comeback. The home supporters embraced their side despite the inept first-half display.

They were willing them to upset the odds with the atmosphere in the final 30 minutes more akin to the hysteria and passion when England are in town.

The decision to keep the Principality Stadium roof closed, however it was reached, added to the ambience and cacophony of noise.

Wales will not be home again for five weeks as they head to Twickenham and Dublin in the next two rounds.

Next Saturday, Gatland's side will face an England team that edged Italy 27-24 in Rome.

England were outscored 3-2 on tries and were outplayed in the first half, which they finished 17-14 behind, but they rallied with an Alex Mitchell try and two George Ford penalties.

It was the closest Italy had come to beating them in 31 Tests and even allowing for the five new caps in the Red Rose ranks, it was a shaky start to post-World Cup rebuilding for Steve Borthwick's side.

Wales will be aiming to capitalise with Gatland having a few selection dilemmas, not least how many of his replacements against Scotland should start.

Costelow looks a major doubt after failing a second head injury assessment (HIA) in a month, so a first Wales fly-half start for Lloyd beckons.

There is also the expected return of centre George North, a possible comeback for Will Rowlands, while Adams awaits his fate.

Whoever plays, it surely can not be as chaotic and dramatic as Saturday's showdown in Cardiff. That will take some beating.

BBC Sport

Barry John: Legendary Wales and Lions fly-half dies aged 79

Barry John, the legendary former Cardiff, Wales and British and Irish Lions fly-half, has died aged 79.

After making his debut in 1966, John played in 25 internationals for Wales and five Tests for the Lions.

A family statement read: "Barry John died peacefully today at the University Hospital of Wales surrounded by his loving wife and four children.

Six Nations 2024: Talking points after wins for Ireland, England and Scotland

Ireland successfully began their bid for back-to-back Grand Slams, England ended their opening game curse and Scotland held on to deny Wales a stunning comeback victory.

The opening weekend of the 2024 Six Nations had everything from record victories to thrilling comebacks.

So what are the key talking points from the opening round of the competition?

No side has ever won back-to-back Grand Slams in the Six Nations.

Ireland's record away win against France showed why this should be talked about as a realistic possibility this year.

Andy Farrell's side were near perfect in Marseille as they banished any potential World Cup hangover following their agonising quarter-final defeat by New Zealand.

Leinster's Joe McCarthy picked up the player-of-the-match award on his Six Nations debut, announcing himself as one of the most physical locks in the world.

The 22-year-old made three dominant tackles and got over the gain-line with 83% of his carries.

"Every team in world rugby needs an enforcer in their pack. England typically had it in Courtney Lawes," former Wales captain Sam Warburton told Six Nations Rugby Special.

"McCarthy could be a revelation for Ireland."

A favourable draw, with three games in Dublin and Italy next up, puts Ireland in pole position to create more history under Farrell.

For Italy, a three-point defeat by England offers much improvement after they conceded 22 tries in their final two pool games at the World Cup.

But facing a rampant Ireland in Dublin is an altogether different prospect, which may hinder their progress after an encouraging start to the championship.

Wales in talks to face South Africa at Twickenham in summer warm-up match​

Wales are in talks to face world champions South Africa at Twickenham in the final week of June.

The game would be a warm-up before Wales' two-Test series in Australia in July, while the Springboks are hosting Ireland on the same weekends.

South Africa defeated New Zealand at Twickenham in a World Cup warm-up match in August 2023.

The Springboks went on to retain the World Cup by beating the All Blacks in the final in Paris.

Wales were comprehensively beaten 52-16 by South Africa in another World Cup warm-up match in Cardiff last August.

The Principality Stadium is not available this summer because the match is taking place during the Cardiff concert season, with the Foo Fighters playing at the ground on 25 June.

South Africa have confirmed they will play Ireland on 6 July in Pretoria before another Test in Durban seven days later.

Wales travel to face Australia on the same dates but the venues of Melbourne and Sydney are yet to be officially confirmed.

The Wales and South Africa match in London would be held the weekend after the United Rugby Championship (URC) final.

Wales are also exploring the possibility of a fourth summer international in July, which would be staged the weekend after the second Test against Australia. This game would not be against the Wallabies.

Six Nations: Richie Gray and Luke Crosbie ruled out of tournament for Scotland​

Lock Richie Gray and back row Luke Crosbie will miss the rest of Scotland's Six Nations campaign after sustaining injuries in the dramatic opening win over Wales.

Gray has damaged a bicep, while Crosbie has a shoulder problem.

Full-back Blair Kinghorn is expected to miss Saturday's home match with France after a knee issue kept him out of the 27-26 victory in Cardiff.

However, Grant Gilchrist returns from a ban and could replace Gray.

Sam Skinner took over from the experienced second row in Cardiff, stealing two lineouts.

"Richie brings lots of experience. He's great to work with and you see the energy and clarity he brings to the group. He will be sorely missed," said defence coach Steve Tandy.

"Luke has fought so hard to get to the international scene. You see the warrior he is on the field, but there is also the character he is and how he leads in and around the training environment, how he speaks in meetings.

"If you look at the back-rowers, there are loads of form players so we're lucky enough to have an abundance in those positions. If someone misses out, everyone else is ready to step into the shirt and really represent."

Darcy Graham is still missing from Gregor Townsend's squad, but the winger, who picked up a quadricep injury last month, is to resume training with Edinburgh this week, along with experienced prop WP Nel.

Co-captain Rory Darge did not feature against Wales, with Townsend saying last week that he should be fit in time to face the French at Murrayfield, while Jack Dempsey and Andy Christie are other back row options for the head coach.

England have named an unchanged starting XV for Saturday's Six Nations match with Wales at Twickenham.

It is the first time England have fielded an unchanged starting team since the World Cup final in 2019.

In the one change to the squad from the win in Italy, vice-captain Ellis Genge returns from injury to make the bench.

"We're delighted to be back playing in front of a sold-out Twickenham Stadium this Saturday," said head coach Steve Borthwick.

"The visit of the Wales team is always a fixture that creates a special atmosphere."

Borthwick named a fresh-looking side for the Six Nations opener against Italy last weekend, with five players making their international debuts in the 27-24 win.

The England boss has therefore opted for continuity as his side look to build on the win in Rome.

"With a new player group and a number of new caps, we have tried to develop our game on both sides of the ball," Borthwick added.

"Such changes take time, and I was pleased how quickly the players settled and adapted last weekend against Italy."

Prop Genge was a late withdrawal from the squad to face the Azzurri, but has recovered from a foot injury and replaces Beno Obano.

Experienced Fly-half George Ford keeps his starting place after guiding England to victory in Rome, with Fin Smith among the replacements.

"It was a good start, you always want to start the Six Nations with a win," vice-captain Ford, who shares the role with Genge, told BBC 5 live Breakfast.

"There are many positives in it for me, the way it felt on the field, the way we had the endeavour to play with the ball and the way we responded to a few setbacks.

"But having said that we need to be a lot better at the same time, we need to maybe be a bit more consistent in all areas to build the game better and score more points.

"That's what we are going after this week."

Meanwhile, Wales were dominated for 45 minutes by Scotland in Cardiff, before scoring a remarkable 26 unanswered points in the second half and narrowly losing 27-26.

Ford says he expects Wales to fix their issues that were so prevalent before half-time and believes Warren Gatland's side will produce a markedly improved display from the start this weekend.

"We'll be preparing for the best version of the Wales team, 100%. You saw how dangerous they were in the second half," he added.

"The probability of them fixing up what happened in the first half is high, of course it is.

"So we have to prepare for the best version of Wales from the very start of the game, and we understand they are a team that never go away, they never stop, they fight and fight and fight.

"So we need a full-80 minute performance this weekend."

England: Steward; Freeman, Slade, Dingwall, Daly; Ford, Mitchell; Marler, George (capt), Stuart, Itoje, Chessum, Roots, Underhill, Earl.

Replacements: Dan, Genge, Cole, Coles, Cunningham-South, Care, F Smith, Feyi-Waboso

Six Nations 2024: Scotland denied by late TMO call as France hold on for 20-16 win​

Scotland were denied by an inconclusive last-gasp try review as France held on to win a tense Six Nations encounter at Murrayfield.

Replays suggested the ball was grounded in a huge heap of writhing bodies, but referee Nic Berry had called no-try and the TV pictures could not concretely prove otherwise.

Louis Bielle-Biarrey produced the decisive score in a cagey second half after Ben White and Gael Fickou traded tries in a first half the hosts had much the better of.

"Personally, I believe it was a try," said Scotland captain Finn Russell immediately after the game. "But it's up to the referee."

Exasperated head coach Gregor Townsend added: "We were celebrating in the coaches box. We could hear the TMO's conversation with the referee, saying 'the ball was on foot, then the ball was down' and then he changes his mind and says 'stick with the on-field decision'. I don't know what you can say."

Both teams sit on one win after Scotland's nervous success in Wales as France recovered from a record home defeat to Ireland.

France have now won 10 of their last 12 Six Nations matches, only coming up short against the defending champions in that run.

Scotland, who had been aiming for a fifth successive home victory, may feel they were robbed by a cruel decision but really should have been further ahead by the break.

At 10:00 in the morning Harry Paterson was told he was making his Scotland debut, with Kyle Steyn's wife going into labour. Ten minutes into the game, the 22-year-old was instrumental in the opening score.

With just eight appearances for Edinburgh under his belt, the full-back played a key role in an impressive surge that ended with White slithering over the line.

Fickou looked certain to respond following a searing line break, only to be grappled by Duhan van der Merwe just short of the line, with the Scotland winger quickly back on his feet to snatch a loose pass.

Just as Scotland nudged 10 points clear with Russell's second penalty, a lapse from the restart was to prove costly, with Fickou presented with a clear run to the corner.

Scotland ended the first half camped on the French line and amid the pressure Uini Antonio was sent to cool off for a no arms tackle, but the hosts failed to take advantage, losing out in a scrum under the posts, and trotted off just 13-10 in front.

There was further frustration for the Scots after the resumption of play as France held firm without much fuss for the rest of Antonio's absence and more groans from home supporters as Maxime Lucu just beat the grasping fingers of White to a bobbling ball in the scoring zone.

Just shy of the hour mark, Russell knocked over another penalty to nudge the scoreboard back into life.

Kicks continued to ping back and forth in rather drab fashion, before a flash of inspiration from Bielle-Biarrey moved France within a point.

Gathering a hard, flat pass on the touchline, the 20-year-old chipped over the top and gathered for his fifth international try.

Thomas Ramos added the extras to give the visitors the lead for the first time, then added a penalty.

Scotland did not have long to find a way back and the cause looked lost when Kyle Rowe set off on a lung-bursting run only to lose the ball forward deep in France territory.

But the Scots did summon one last attack and were convinced Sam Skinner had got the ball down before a prolonged anxious wait ended with a torrent of boos aimed at the officials.

Scotland played good enough Rugby to win this match but these things happen in sports. Sometimes you play better in most of the match but some crucial moments in the match made all the difference.

England overturned another half-time deficit in the Six Nations to edge past a youthful and spirited Wales side at Twickenham.

As in Rome a week ago, England trailed at the break as Wales claimed a penalty try and an Alex Mann score to threaten a first win at Twickenham since 2015.

Fraser Dingwall scored in the corner to drag England to within a point before George Ford's penalty sealed victory.

Ford made amends for his failure to convert Ben Earl's first-half try.

The England fly-half was denied the chance to equalise when he was adjudged to have begun his conversion attempt despite not striding towards the ball as Wales rushed up to foil him.

Victory moves England to the top of the Six Nations table after they maintained their winning start to the tournament, while Wales claimed a losing bonus point and remain fifth despite two opening defeats.

England were back at their Twickenham home and intent on putting on a show for the first time since their World Cup warm-up defeat by Fiji last summer.

Jamie George, in his first home game as captain, had promised greater endeavour in attack, and his side were true to their word in the opening stages as they started brightly.

Freddie Steward broke the line with a surging run in the opening minute and Ford's kick wide handed them territory as Rio Dyer carried the ball into touch.

But while the ambition was clear to see, the final pass seemed to evade them.

By contrast, Wales had limited possession but scored from their first visit into the England 22 when they were awarded a penalty try for continual English infringements, resulting in Ethan Roots being sent to the sin-bin.

Ben Earl powered over from the base of the scrum before controversy ensued with Ford's conversion attempt. The England number 10 was not still in his set-up and it led to Wales closing him down and keeping their noses in front.

Tommy Reffell was a bright spark for the visitors and his incisive line opened up an England defence still trying to adjust to their new blitz defence as Mann dotted down their second try for a first half-time lead at Twickenham since 1980.

England were much improved after the interval but continued to struggle with their cutting edge in attack. The breakthrough came after a knock-on by the usually assured Josh Adams deep inside Welsh territory.

The hosts and their partisan crowd could smell blood and after the forwards pounded the red wall, the ball was moved wide for Dingwall to cross for his first Test try in the corner.

Ford's late penalty completed the comeback as England prevailed despite another stuttering attacking display.

Head coach Warren Gatland tried to diminish the Twickenham fear factor for Wales before their short trip east, saying he "loved" visiting the home of English rugby.

Wales had not won on their previous seven away games against their fiercest rivals, so perhaps his words were to ease the pressure on his young side, led by 21-year-old captain Dafydd Jenkins.

It seemed to be working early on as, against the predicted English onslaught, Wales stood firm and defended with more resolve than they did during last week's first-half capitulation against Scotland.

Very little could be done to keep the rampaging Earl out from close range, but they largely kept England at bay in the opening 40 minutes.

It was much of the same after the break as Wales offered little in an attack steered by novice fly-half Ioan Lloyd on his fourth cap, while in defence they managed to contain the blunt England attack.

When Steve Borthwick's men decided to revert to type and go aerial with the game getting away, however, Adams' knock-on under the spiral ball proved fatal.

It handed Twickenham and their team a second wind.

With Wales one point ahead but under siege, Mason Grady's deliberate knock-on to deny an England run-in handed Ford the chance to kick the penalty from in front of the posts and the veteran fly-half duly punished the visitors.

England head coach Steve Borthwick told BBC Sport: "I am proud of the way the players stayed in the fight and found a way to win. It is a young team with a blend of experience.

"In the first half, there was a lot of good stuff from us but the penalty count was 6-0 against us and there were two sin-binnings - we made it very difficult.

"Then Wales scored a very good try but what I sensed at half-time was a calmness and composure and a belief we would find a way in the second half."It was a hard-fought game, and the theatre and drama of it all was so significant. There were a few people who had raised heart rates in the stands, I know I did!"

Wales head coach Warren Gatland speaking to ITV: "In fairness to England they came into the second half with a kicking strategy and game and they got some reward out of it. We probably didn't manage it as well as we could have.

"We are going to be a good team, it's just going to take us a little bit of time. Some players are learning about game management, and they learn it from experiences.

"We did some good things and things that we will tidy up going forward. It's disappointing but it's a young side that is going to continue to improve.

"I thought we showed some great character, and it was a game there for us to win and I am proud of the effort."

Ireland maintained their push for successive Six Nations Grand Slams with a comfortable, if sometimes scrappy, bonus-point win over Italy in Dublin.

First-half tries from Jack Crowley, Dan Sheehan and Jack Conan put the Irish 19-0 up at half-time.

Sheehan added his second to give Ireland the bonus point before Robbie Henshaw had a score ruled out.

But James Lowe scored the pick of the tries before Calvin Nash capped Ireland's win late on.

While this Irish performance will not live long in the memory, it maintains their momentum going into a rest week before hosting Wales on 24 February as they bid to become the first side since France in 1998 to win back-to-back Grand Slams.

For Italy, it is another dispiriting visit to Dublin and a hugely disappointing performance after giving England a scare in their opening match in Rome last week.

BBC

Tom Curry: Sale and England flanker says hip damage 'a car crash' but surgery a 'success'​

England flanker Tom Curry says he is not yet able to set a return date after undergoing hip surgery that is expected to rule him out for the season.

Curry, 25, last played in England's World Cup third-place play-off win against Argentina in October.

Following the World Cup he underwent a six-hour operation for arthritic change and tears to the labrum and cartilage.

The Sale Sharks back row described the damage as "a car crash", but the surgery was deemed a success.

"In terms of coming back to play, I still don't really know. It's day by day," Curry said.

"Every week it gets better and better. The tough thing is thinking too far ahead - and that's why I need to take each day as it comes.

"Every day I'll give it 100 per cent and be really grateful that I can do this and then we'll see."

He added: "If you take a step and your hip feels bad, your mood goes down. If you do that and your hip feels good, your mood goes up.

"So it is about trying to get rid of all that stuff and keeping it as simple as possible."

England are expected to add Manu Tuilagi, Ollie Lawrence, George Martin and Luke Cowan-Dickie to their squad when they gather in south-west London for their Six Nations fallow week training camp later this week.

All four have been prevented from taking part in the opening two rounds of the tournament - with England beating Italy and Wales - because of injury but will come into contention for the Calcutta Cup showdown in Scotland on February 24.

England scrum-half Alex Mitchell will miss the Six Nations match against Scotland on Saturday after suffering a knee injury.

The 26-year-old will likely be replaced by Danny Care or Ben Spencer for the Calcutta Cup clash at Murrayfield.

Bristol scrum-half Harry Randall has been called into Steve Borthwick's 36-man training squad as cover.

An England spokesperson said Mitchell's injury requires "further investigation" to determine its severity.

BBC

Scotland have recalled Hamish Watson to their squad for the Six Nations match against England while Blair Kinghorn and WP Nel are fit to return.​

Watson and Magnus Bradbury bolster the back-row options for the Calcutta Cup game on Saturday after flanker Josh Bayliss was ruled out with concussion.

Coach Gregor Townsend has also called up second row Alex Craig.

Javan Sebastian and Ross McCann have dropped out to make way for fit-again utility back Kinghorn and prop Nel.

Watson, a British and Irish Lion in 2021, was left out of the squad for the opening two matches in this year's championship.

Kinghorn has recovered from the injury that ruled him out of the first two games and will compete with Kyle Rowe and Harry Paterson for the full-back jersey.

Watson, who made his 150th appearance for Edinburgh at the weekend, and Bristol Bears flanker Bradbury will vie with co-captain Rory Darge, Matt Fagerson, Andy Christie, Jamie Ritchie and Jack Dempsey for selection in the back row.

Scarlets forward Craig, who won two caps in 2021, adds cover at lock following the tournament-ending biceps injury to Richie Gray.

Darcy Graham remains out of the squad with a groin injury so Kyle Steyn and Kyle Rowe will compete to fill in on the wing, with Kinghorn a strong contender to return at full-back.

Six Nations 2024: Kevin Sinfield 'humble enough' to support new England defence​

Former England defence coach Kevin Sinfield says he is "humble enough" to support Felix Jones' new defence.

The ex-South Africa coach took over the role from Sinfield in January after England's third-place World Cup finish.

Sinfield, 43, now coaches individual skills and kicking, and will move in a "different direction" after England's summer tour of Japan and New Zealand.

"I want to win so why wouldn't I do something that would help us win," Sinfield told Rugby Union Daily.

"My feelings on the role I play here are irrelevant and I will continue to do my best while I am here and try and help the lads and support the coaches.

"It is a funny situation but I feel like I am humble enough to go: 'I want to win, I want to support'."

The rugby league legend had been Steve Borthwick's right-hand man since the pair left Leicester Tigers to coach England at the end of 2022.

After a difficult start to 2023, when England finished fourth in the Six Nations before suffering World Cup warm-up defeats by Wales and Fiji, their defence improved at the World Cup.

However, Borthwick's side were defeated by the Springboks in the semi-finals and failed to score a try against a defence which was coached by Jones, who then helped South Africa to back-to-back World Cups as a coach.

"Very quickly we established a healthy relationship and that will continue for a long time. Whether I am with England or not, I will keep in touch with Felix," he added.

"I have been asked several times what is next and I am really not too sure, but that is what is really exciting about the future as I will be able to shape it and make it fit."

Six Nations 2024: Ireland 31-7 Wales - Holders make it three bonus-point wins from three​

Ireland moved closer to completing back-to-back Six Nations Grand Slams with an unconvincing bonus-point win over a spirited Wales side in Dublin.

Dan Sheehan's opening try and a James Lowe score had the hosts 17-0 up after a dominant first-half display.

Welsh hopes of a shock win were boosted when they were awarded a penalty try early in the second half as Ireland's Tadhg Beirne was sin-binned.

But Ciaran Frawley eased home nerves before Beirne bagged the bonus point.

The win means Ireland have equalled England's Six Nations record of 11 consecutive victories and remain on course to become the first team since France in 1998 to secure back-to-back Grand Slams.

For Wales, it is a third successive defeat but they were not blown away as some had predicted, and can take positives from a spirited second-half showing in which they caused their hosts problems, but lacked the cutting edge to really eat into the deficit.

Six Nations 2024: France 13-13 Italy - Paolo Garbisi misses injury-time penalty for historic Italian win

Paolo Garbisi's injury-time penalty hit the post as Italy were denied a first Six Nations victory in France.

The fly-half looked set to seal the historic win until the ball fell off the tee, which resulted in a rushed attempt due to the shot clock.

Ange Capuozzo's late try and Garbisi's difficult conversion had drawn Italy level against the 14-man hosts.

Centre Jonathan Danty saw his high tackle upgraded to a red card during a half-time review.

The 31-year-old made direct head-on-head contact with Juan Ignacio Brex in an upright tackle at the end of a frustrating first half for the French.

The hosts dominated early on and scored the opening try through Charles Ollivon but lacked accuracy throughout.

The Azzurri, who have beaten France twice in Rome during the Six Nations, remained in touch thanks to penalties from Martin Page-Relo and Garbisi.

Despite having an extra player for the entire second half, Italy never threatened until the closing stages when history was in sight.

Six Nations 2024: Ugo Monye says England jersey weighing heavy after Scotland defeat​

The England jersey appears to be "weighing heavy" for Steve Borthwick's players after defeat by Scotland in the Six Nations, says Ugo Monye.

England's attack continued to struggle as the losing run against their oldest rivals stretched to four games.

Former England wing Monye says Borthwick may have to "evolve" as head coach before the team improves.

"Any of the top four Premiership sides would look more cohesive against Scotland than England did," said Monye.

Speaking to BBC Rugby Union Daily, Monye added: "The only difference is the shirt.

"Scotland are miles better than England and have been for several years and we know international rugby is a step above.

"But with the collective buy-in of having a load of players performing well at domestic level, you would expect them to grow into that jersey, and at the moment it look like it weighs heavy."

Borthwick's side started brightly at Murrayfield as George Furbank scored an early try before the error count began to mount against a Scotland side who had a clinical edge their visitors lacked.

England are ranked fifth in the world but have scored two tries in each of their three Six Nations games so far and Monye says the "philosophy" must change.

"I'm not sure what they are training, but in order for this team to evolve into the team they have the potential to be and what the world rankings suggest they have to be, I think Steve Borthwick has to evolve first before the team evolves," Monye added.

"We know he [Borthwick] is fairly pragmatic.

"I have known Steve for a long time. He was my captain for England and did a brilliant job coaching Leicester and has done a reasonable job with England, but there is a void between where the game is getting to and how Steve Borthwick is coaching this team.

"To take that step up to catch Scotland and compete with France and Ireland, unless the coaching philosophy and the way we set up our team changes, this team is not going to."

Borthwick's side host defending champions Ireland in their next match before facing France on the final day, and Monye says England's campaign could begin to falter after defeat in Edinburgh.

"This Six Nations could massively unravel," said Monye.

"Two wins from two and a great start and then it could go bang, bang, bang. What felt like a team that could potentially get over this and move on could be looking in their rear-view mirror."

Six Nations 2024: France coach Fabien Galthie's job 'absolutely not in danger'​

France head coach Fabien Galthie is "absolutely not in danger" of losing his job, says French Rugby Federation president Florian Grill.

Galthie's side drew with Italy in the Six Nations on Sunday and are fourth in the table after three games.

"I am a manager. I am not the type of person to make swift changes due to pressure," Grill told AFP.

Meanwhile, centre Jonathan Danty will miss the rest of the Six Nations after his red card against Italy.

Danty has been given a five-week suspension after a high tackle on Juan Ignacio Brex. The 31-year-old initially received a yellow card from the on-field referee before the offence was upgraded to a red by the television match official.

France play Wales, who have lost all three Six Nations games this year, and England in their final two matches.

Despite his side's mixed start and some criticism from outside, Galthie goes into the games on the back of a public vote of confidence from the FFR.

"It's not a decision made based on one game, one point and not on a transition period of matches that are difficult," added Grill.

"Fabien Galthie is absolutely not under pressure."

Under Galthie, who was appointed in 2020 and contracted until 2027, France won the Grand Slam in 2022 and lost only twice in almost two years before last year's World Cup in France.

However, they were knocked out in the quarter-finals by South Africa and were thumped 38-17 by Ireland in their Six Nations opener before a controversial win over Scotland.

France captain and former world player of the year Antoine Dupont opted against taking part in this year's Six Nations to play sevens in the hope of winning Olympic gold this summer in Paris.

"There's a big transition period to manage. It's not done overnight," said Grill.

"You have to give them time. The message is resilience, solidarity, work."

Former Scotland and British and Irish Lions head coach Sir Ian McGeechan is to become consultant director of rugby at Championship club Doncaster Knights.

McGeechan will act as a mentor to their head coach Joe Ford.

BBC

Olympics 2024: Antoine Dupont inspires France to beat Great Britain in sevens final​

Antoine Dupont inspired France's men to their first sevens title in 19 years as they beat injury-hit Great Britain 21-0 in the final in Los Angeles.

Dupont, who is missing this year's Six Nations to focus on sevens with a view to playing in the Olympics, came off the bench to set up the final try.

It was France's first sevens title since 2005 and Dupont says the Olympic hosts "can beat anyone".

"I started this Olympic project to get a medal - obviously a gold," he said.

"I knew the guys were able to do it [on Sunday] and that they can beat anyone when they're at their best," added the scrum-half, who is widely regarded as the best player in the world at the full-sized game.

"We're a very ambitious squad who are looking to claim a gold medal in the summer. We're all aiming for it."

Dupont will now return to his club side Toulouse before re-joining the sevens squad for the series finale in Madrid in May.

He helped his team to bronze in his debut sevens tournament in Vancouver.

France's best finish in the sevens at the Olympics was seventh place in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.

In the bronze final Ireland cruised past Spain 24-7 after leading 19-0 at half-time

Back