The Snooker thread

PakLFC

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
No thread on the World Snooker Championship that is on our screens all the time:uakmal Selby and Higgins are looking good. The reigning champion hammered Marco Fu where as O Sullivan is struggling against Ding. I think Selby looks set to defend his crown, successfully. Any Snooker lovers here and if so how good are you?? I am rather good even if I say so myself. Regularly knocking in 40 or 50 breaks now:ma.

Gutted that Ronnie has been knocked.

But also happy for Ding.

This final is getting right down to the wire

16-15 to Selby currently.

And a super long pot by Higgins in the 32nd frame to open his account.

The Snooker thread | Match fixing scandal

No thread on this? On day 1 World # 1 Selby got knocked out in round of 32; while Ronnie ended 1st day 3-6 down, but recovered on day 2 to win 10-7.

This year, it has started with upsets. My hunch is it’ll be Ronnie vs Higgins final, two of the Snooker ATGs, Ronnie definitely, Higgins also should be among top 5 in history of Snooker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Ronnie is still around? I am not following snooker tournaments from a long time this thread reminded me it's been a long time i touched a snooker stick and played any game or even watched any game. Will give it a try again soon!

Still remember when I had the break of my life and beat Mohammad Al Joker in one game in the Dubai open. he won overall 2-1 though.

Holder Mark Selby knocked out in the first round!

Ronnie is still the man to beat. John Higgins will be thereabouts as well. Mark Williams is turning back the clock by playing so well, top form.

A few former champions have been knocked out. It's between Ronnie and Trump imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone watched yesterday's SFs? Both game went to 33rd (last) Frame and both winners fought back from behind. Ronnie was simply unreal in last few frames. After this generation, I don't think there is anyone left in Snooker - still the top players are into their late 30s, 40s; Trump is the only player in his 20s worth watching, in a game where teenagers become superstar.

World Snooker Championship 2020: Ronnie O'Sullivan wins sixth world title

Ronnie O'Sullivan claimed his sixth World Championship title and a record 37th ranking event with a dominant 18-8 victory over Kyren Wilson in Sheffield.

O'Sullivan draws level with boyhood hero Steve Davis on Crucible crowns and surpasses Stephen Hendry on the all time list of ranking winners.

Although Wilson battled back to 10-7, O'Sullivan wrested total control with a run of eight frames on Sunday.

O'Sullivan, 44, is the oldest champion since Ray Reardon, who was 45 in 1978.

The Englishman collects £500,000 in prize money, moving back up to second in the world behind last year's champion Judd Trump.

It was the biggest winning margin in a final since 2008, when O'Sullivan defeated Ali Carter by the same scoreline.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/53795792

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Congratulations <a href="https://twitter.com/ronnieo147?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ronnieo147</a> for winning his sixth world title... The biggest star in the world of sports...<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Snookerworldchampionships?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Snookerworldchampionships</a></p>— Imad Wasim (@simadwasim) <a href="https://twitter.com/simadwasim/status/1295077086097543174?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 16, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ronnie is a legend, but final should have been him against selby, kyren wilson made far too many mistakes under pressure, the fact that he made it to a final shows breadth of top players has narrowed significantly.

on a side note, anyone else think selby looks like a young misbah?

Glad Ronnie won. I doubt he rated Wilson much. As soon as Wilson blubbed after his semi final I knew Ronnie would win. You cannot afford that kind of weak sentimentality in top notch snooker. Stephen Hendry thought the same I could tell, he pretty much wrote Wilson off before the final started. A real shame, after such great snooker, Ronnie just had to beat a wet bit of lettuce to win. I didn't bother to watch the final, and yet I watched both semi finals, and the quarters. I just knew Ronnie would trounce Wilson. Diabolical. Unless Wilson gets some balls he might as well give up now, he'll never win at the Crucible with that mentality, you have to be hard as nails, or completely nuts lime Ronnie

<b>BBC — UK Snooker Championship 2021: Luca Brecel to face Zhao Xintong in final at York Barbican.</b>

Belgium's Luca Brecel will face China's Zhao Xintong in the UK Championship final, with both players aiming to win the event for the first time.

Brecel, 26, overcame Kyren Wilson with a barrage of brutal scoring, including four centuries, to triumph 6-4.

Zhao, 24, was also in destructive form, dismantling former World Championship finalist Barry Hawkins 6-1.

Sunday's best-of-19 final, live across the BBC, will guarantee a new name being engraved on the trophy.

An added significance to the contest will see the winner not only taking home the trophy and £200,000 in prize money, but also climbing into the elite top 16 and qualifying for next month's invitational Masters event in London.

The UK Championship returned to its familiar stage in York this year after taking place behind closed doors in Milton Keynes last time around.

With the sport's big-name players all falling early in the tournament, the final pits two exciting, young talents who are now expected to showcase an enthralling exhibition of potting.

World number 26 Zhao was described earlier in the tournament by Ronnie O'Sullivan as "amazing" and the six-time world champion said he had not seen "a more talented snooker player".

Zhao now looks to be living up to the hype after reaching the first ranking final of his career, surpassing his previous best of a semi-final appearance at the 2018 China Championship.

Zhao told BBC Two: "I am very happy. I can't describe how happy. First time in the semi-final and I did it. This time I just think I can do it and become champion."

Despite the importance of the occasion and match, Zhao was unruffled as he surged into a 4-1 lead with a century and three further breaks of 78, closing out the contest with composed runs of 74 and 81.

Zhao added: "The John Higgins match was an important one for me because I could have lost that match but I won it. Jimmy [White] spoke to me yesterday and told me I had to concentrate.

"Luca played perfect today and is a great player, we can make a beautiful game."

World number 40 Brecel was tipped to have a bright a future in the sport when he became the youngest player to appear at the World Championship in 2012 aged just 17.

He struggled to kick on thereafter, winning his maiden and only ranking title to date at the 2017 China Championship. Now aged 26, he looks to have finally come of age, becoming the first player from mainland Europe to reach a Triple Crown event final.

"Unbelievable. It's a dream, it really is a dream," Brecel told BBC Two. "I was so nervous last night, I could not really sleep because I was dreaming of the final. Now it is true it is crazy.

"Something has clicked. I had a good start to the season and if you do that anything can happen. It is just confidence. I made a conscious decision before the season to try to give my opponent less chances.

"To do it at this stage of the tournament is very special for me. It is amazing to be in the final. I have a lot to look forward to."

In all, the savage scoring prowess of Brecel - nicknamed the 'Belgian Bullet' - proved too much for Wilson, compiling four centuries and three further breaks of 50 or more.

Brecel added: "The whole game I felt so good. I haven't being playing my best the whole tournament but I have been winning a lot. But this game I played unbelievable.

"It is the best feeling I have ever had on a snooker table by far, even better than winning in China because this was such a big crowd and the balls kept going in."

UK championship was such a missed opportunity for Ronnie. All the top players lost early. He had a golden opportunity to win another triple crown event and he bottled it against Wilson. Such a disappointment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/60016677

<b>Mark Selby: World champion says he 'needs help' with mental health</b>

World number one Mark Selby admits he "needs help" and a "huge weight" has been lifted off his shoulders after speaking out publicly about struggles with his mental health.

Selby, 38, was knocked out of the Masters following a heavy 6-1 quarter-final defeat by finalist Barry Hawkins.

After the match, he apologised on social media saying he had suffered "a relapse" with his mental health.

"Feel I don't have to hide behind the mask anymore," Selby tweeted on Sunday.

Leicester's Selby is a winner of 20 ranking titles, including his fourth world title at the Crucible last May, and renowned for his toughness on the table.

He has reached one semi-final at the World Grand Prix this season, but said after his exit at Alexandra Palace - where he is a three-time winner of the Masters - that he was "mentally not in a good place at moment".

In a follow-up tweet he added: "I can honestly say all the matches I have won as a professional, the biggest match I have overcome was yesterday (Saturday) speaking out and finally admitting I need help. Bottling it up for years is not the way forward. Finally feel a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.

"For those that have gone through it, or are going through it, can relate to this."

Snooker's governing body, the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association, subsequently offered help.

Chairman Jason Ferguson said: "We are always sorry to hear if any of our players are going through difficult times.

"Support is there for Mark and any other playing member on the WST."

Last edited:
Hossein Vafaei claims Ronnie O’Sullivan should retire and let the younger generation grow snooker.

Vafaei became the first Iranian to qualify for the Crucible on Wednesday night when he beat Lei Peifan 10-9 on the final black in the deciding frame at World Championship qualification.

The 27-year-old is passionate about representing his country on the sport’s biggest stage and believes his increasing success is helping to grow the sport in Iran.

The Prince of Persia not only wants to boost snooker’s profile at home, but globally, and he is not impressed with how, he believes, the sport’s biggest name has talked down the sport which has made him a star.

After winning his first qualifier earlier in the week, Vafaei mentioned some past O’Sullivan comments, saying: ‘I think on TV they asked that of Ronnie O’Sullivan, and he said, ‘If I was in his situation I’d rather have another job’.

‘But no. I will never give up. I’m working hard for my people, to make them proud, make my country proud and I’m born to make history.’

Vafaei once again mentioned O’Sullivan’s comments after beating Lei, and asked whether they frustrate him. In response, he told Metro.co.uk: ‘Of course. A lot of things he says frustrates me. What kind of legend are you if you call people numpties?

‘I was and am still good friends with him, but I don’t like that. Maybe he likes it and gives him a good feeling but I think people should treat him like that as well. I treat him like he deserves.’

One of O’Sullivan’s more controversial comments in recent months came when he said he would not encourage children to play snooker, which John Higgins labelled a ‘disgrace’.

‘That was very bad words, very bad for our sport,’ said the Iranian when asked for his reaction to the six-time world champion’s controversial view. ‘Listen, he doesn’t need to remind us he’s won 20 major tournaments. I think someone who is beside him should remind him that he is Ronnie O’Sullivan.

Hossein Vafaei
Hossein Vafaei won his first ranking title this season at the Shoot Out (Picture: Eurosport)
‘To be honest, Ronnie O’Sullivan without his team, without the people who are around him, he wouldn’t be here at all. He wouldn’t be here at all.

‘He’s comparing himself with someone else. He’s comparing me with someone else. I don’t like that. We don’t have to compare ourselves to others. He’s saying you are poor, I am rich, I am Ronnie O’Sullivan. I don’t like that. I have money, my people in Iran have money, but we have to respect human beings as well.

‘I don’t want to get involved in that kind of conversation really. I like him a lot, I am his fan, I love what he does but sometimes he’s disrespectful, he’s not good for the game.

‘I think he should retire, to be honest with you. He should retire and then the younger generation make the game bigger.’

Vafaei believes O’Sullivan’s complaints about venues, events and how snooker is not as ‘sexy’ as sports like golf and tennis are unfounded and it should have been the Rocket taking the sport to greater levels, instead of talking it down.

‘I don’t see any improvement, he’s been 20 years on top of this sport and what has he done for us?’ Vafaei asked. ‘This is my biggest question: What has he done for us?

‘I am the younger generation, I want to see what he’s done for our sport. Where are the big companies?

‘In my opinion he should have his own private jet, but he’s coming and complaining about 10 or 15 grand. You’ve been in the situation to make the game bigger, why haven’t you done it? How many contacts you’ve had to bring car companies or Rolex to our sport to make the game bigger?’

Vafaei himself has aspirations to be the finest player in the game, and he plans on being a greater ambassador for the sport if he does reach those heights.

‘Absolutely. If I get to that position, if I can help any players I will help,’ he said. ‘I’m not a selfish person. There is plenty of food. If you get food I have food as well. If you get money, I get money as well. We should think like that.

‘He has to go and think why he doesn’t have the private jet or bigger house like a footballer. Now he’s still playing for 70 grand or 50 grand, or he’ll say he won’t play in things.

‘He wants to make our sport small, okay, it’s time to tell him: ‘Retire, man. Retire,’

https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/13/ronn...ein-vafaei-16463765/?ito=socialmetrouktwitter

Jack Lisowski: Why the hell can’t I wear Ukraine flag on my waistcoat?

Jack Lisowski has said he was denied permission to have a Ukraine flag on his waistcoat at the World Championship.
Lisowski has Ukrainian heritage - his grandfather is from the country - and he wore a Ukraine badge at the Gibraltar Open in support of the country following the invasion by Russia.

The 30-year-old wanted to continue showing support for the country at the Crucible, but World Snooker refused to grant permission for Lisowski to wear the flag.
Laboured Trump keeps Gibraltar Open hat-trick hopes alive with win over Lam

Speaking to the BBC, Lisowski said: "Everyone in this room would agree you're supporting Ukraine so why the hell can't I wear it?
"It's something that is close to my heart. My grandad is Ukrainian, my dad has been out there. It is very sad with what is going on over there.
"I tried to wear it [in Sheffield] and they told me I couldn't unless I was Ukrainian.
"I've got some Ukrainian in me, but it wasn't enough so I got the badge taken off my waistcoat.”
Trump digs in to see off Vafaei challenge
I was petrified - O'Sullivan opens up on record-breaking 147
'I find it difficult' - Trump agrees with O'Sullivan views on referees
Lisowski faces Neil Robertson in round two and said he will unfurl a Ukraine flag should he beat the 2010 world champion.
"I played with it on for a few tournaments, I want to wear it but I wasn't allowed,” Lisowski said. “I am trying to get a flag. If I beat Robertson I will be waving the flag in the arena."
Clarifying its position, World Snooker Tour said in a statement: “As an international sport we have always adopted a policy of political neutrality, and to that end, our policy is to not allow our sport to be used as a political platform at the World Championship.
"We are strongly against the invasion of any sovereign nation and all forms of violence or oppression.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the people who are suffering as a result of the current conflict in Ukraine."

<b>World Snooker Championship 2022: John Higgins and Judd Trump eke out quarter-final leads</b>

Four-time world champion John Higgins eked out a 5-3 lead against Jack Lisowski in an error-strewn opening to their World Championship quarter-final.

Lisowski opened with a break of 98 and Higgins made 91 and 67 but both players generally struggled for rhythm and were guilty of some uncharacteristic misses.

Meanwhile, Judd Trump leads Stuart Bingham 5-3 in a battle between two former winners.

Both made two half-centuries and a century in a high-quality contest.

Trump, who won the title in 2019, looked set to pull clear when he made breaks of 50 and 75 to lead 4-2 but Bingham showed his resolve with a superb 106.

However, Trump won a prolonged eighth frame to give himself a two-frame advantage overnight.

Earlier on Tuesday, six-time champion Ronnie O'Sullivan established a commanding 6-2 lead in his quarter-final against Stephen Maguire.

Maguire won the opening and final frames of the session but was punished for several loose shots as O'Sullivan took complete control.

The world number one had runs of 54, 70 and 123, despite appearing to struggle with his cue tip.

Three-time champion Mark Williams, also part of snooker's famous Class of '92 produced a vintage display to claim a 6-2 advantage over Yan Bingtao.

The Welshman made four half-centuries and compiled his 11th ton of the tournament with a 106 in the sixth frame.

China's Yan looked to have Williams rattled when he made breaks of 102 and 85 to draw level at the mid-session interval but then saw his relentless opponent take over.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/61231414

<b>World Snooker Championship 2022: Ronnie O'Sullivan & Judd Trump meet in 'dream' final</b>

Six-time champion Ronnie O'Sullivan is a "dream" World Championship final opponent, says 2019 winner Judd Trump.

World number one O'Sullivan is eyeing a record-equalling seventh title in the modern era, while Trump is chasing his second Crucible crown.

A £500,000 winners prize and top spot in the world rankings is also at stake in the final, which begins at 13:00 BST on Sunday.

"Ronnie was a hero of mine growing up," Trump said.

"It's always been a dream of mine to play him in the final. There have been times I didn't think it would happen, but now it's here.

"He's already the best player that's ever lived, but I think he wants to confirm it by winning a seventh title. You can see it in the last couple of weeks. He tries to play it down but I think he's more determined than ever.

"It will be extremely tough to beat him but I am hoping I have saved my best until last."

O'Sullivan, 46, holds almost every record in the game but has repeatedly played down the prospect of emulating Stephen Hendry's tally of seven world titles - even if it is a landmark he clearly covets and one that would arguably settle any debate over who is the greatest player in modern times.

'The Rocket' enters his eighth final as the oldest finalist since Ray Reardon in 1982, having cruised past David Gilbert 10-5, Mark Allen 13-4, Stephen Maguire 13-5 and John Higgins 17-11.

"I've always got butterflies and nerves that is why I do not like doing it," O'Sullivan said.

"All the other tournaments are a doddle - I just pitch up and play. Maybe we are not used to playing in these type of atmospheres.

"We don't play in a venue like this anywhere now. I suppose it is like playing at Leyton Orient every week and all of a sudden being asked to go and play at the Bernabeu Stadium in front of 100,000 people. It is a special atmosphere out there."

<b>A final for the neutrals</b>

The climax of snooker's biggest event pits two of the sport's most flamboyant and attacking players against each other.

It will also be a battle of snooker's different generations, with Trump, who has frequently been hailed as the natural heir to O'Sullivan, facing another of the 'Class of 92' following his semi-final win over Mark Williams.

While O'Sullivan beat Trump in their most recent meeting at the Players Championship in February, 32-year-old Trump has won eight of the 11 finals they have played against each other.

Trump also enjoys a marginally better head-to-head record - 15 wins in 29 matches - and will also draw confidence from his 10-4 victory in the 2019 Masters, in front of a crowd that was vehemently behind O'Sullivan.

Yet it is O'Sullivan who will start Sunday's final as the favourite, having knocked in 12 centuries in the tournament in comparison to Trump's eight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/61287981

World Snooker Championship 2022: Ronnie O'Sullivan leads Judd Trump in final

Ronnie O'Sullivan accused referee Olivier Marteel of "looking for trouble" as the world number one took a 5-3 lead over Judd Trump in the World Championship final.

The six-time champion appeared to be warned by the Belgian in the final frame of the session which Trump won.

The argument that followed overshadowed the end of a captivating first session.

"I get a vibe with the guy," O'Sullivan told Eurosport. "He just seems to be looking for trouble."

O'Sullivan added: "They have got hundreds of cameras out there. I am not having any of it because I think he is trying to create something."

The 46-year-old is already facing an investigation by the WPBSA disciplinary committee for allegedly making a lewd gesture after missing a black in the 13th frame of his 10-5 first-round win over Dave Gilbert.

Trump, the 2019 winner, won the opening frame with a composed break of 72 but was then rocked as O'Sullivan took over with two superb centuries and a break of 68 to reel off the next five frames.

Trump, who saw his table time limited, responded with a 97 and held his nerve to reduce his arrears in a tense conclusion to the session.

O'Sullivan's failure to get position on the yellow and subsequent foul gave Trump, who had failed to convert chances of his own and was guilty of some poor shot selection when given a free ball, a reprieve and he appeared delighted as he left the arena.

O'Sullivan, who is eyeing a record-equalling seventh world crown in the modern era, won the opening session of the 2020 final against Kyren Wilson before running away with the match 18-8.

So Trump's ability to limit the damage felt important even so early in the match particularly after appearing rattled by gifting O'Sullivan the fourth frame of the afternoon, missing a red, yellow and green before conceding a free ball and losing on a re-spotted black.

Their final resumes on Sunday evening at 19:00 BST.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/61287990

Ronnie will win unless he goes into one of his unpredictable self-destruct modes. Historically the main person who can beat Ronnie is Ronnie himself.

Judd Trump is looking strong and Ronnie O'Sullivan is looking uncertain - it might have to do with the controversial manner in which the earlier session ended, but he is not playing well right now. Good red pot just now by Ronnie (watching with Mum) but commentator saying neither are playing their best.

Judd is so off form this season that it’s painful to watch this final. He needs to find his A game like in 2019 but I don’t think it’s there and you can’t just flip the switch.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ronnie O'Sullivan asking the ref to have a go &#55357;&#56834; <a href="https://t.co/zcWwOBlC2g">pic.twitter.com/zcWwOBlC2g</a></p>— Chris Hammer (@ChrisHammer180) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisHammer180/status/1520751944993755138?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 1, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Looks like an easy win for the Rocket.

Ronnie could be about to break another record here.

Hmm.

14-11 going into the final session of the championship tonight.

Will be played to a finish from 18:55PM.

Oooof. :)

cant believe i didn't even know this was on, used to love watching the snooker when i was a kid. i rem all the kids used to be talking about, maybe its just me but snookers popularity seems to have fallen off a cliff.

my local when i lived in the east end had pics of a young teen ronnie playing there, was awesome place to go and play for like £5 an hour, no idea how much it costs nowadays.

16-12 - but difficult to see Trump defeat O'Sullivan from this position, but if anyone can he can (given his excellent record against Ronnie).

This is a match where being neutral is good for the heart!

17-12

Trump fighting hard and potting some stunners, but Ronnie proving too good at the critical moments.

One frame away.

Ronnie deserved to win - but what an embrace between the two players that was, I thought Ronnie was crying but God knows what he was saying to Judd.

Great match.

The hug and private chat at the end there was lovely.

Well done to both men and congratulations Ronnie.

Well done to Ronnie. Cements his legacy as the greatest snooker player ever. Almost as imperious as his 2013 title.

As for Judd he gave it a good shot but the dreadful session yesterday evening left him too steep a mountain to climb. Judd’s X factor has always been his crash bang wallop long potting. He was without it all tournament. Time for him to get a good holiday and then work on getting back to the top of game.

Ronnie is different class.

What a legend.

Ronnie O'Sullivan claimed his seventh World Championship title with an 18-13 win over Judd Trump to equal Stephen Hendry's record in the modern era.

O'Sullivan, 46, becomes the oldest world champion in Crucible history, eclipsing Ray Reardon, who won his sixth title aged 45 in 1978.

Trump won six of Monday afternoon's eight frames to battle back to 14-11.

But O'Sullivan sealed his victory and the £500,000 top prize as he took four of the evening's first six frames.

Reaction: O'Sullivan claims record-equalling seventh world title
The 'Rocket' enjoyed runs of 82, 88, 75, and 85 - and shared an emotional embrace with Trump, which lasted more than a minute, at the end of the match before greeting his children who ran into the arena to share his special moment.

O'Sullivan's triumph will add more fuel to any debate over who is the greatest snooker player of all time.

The Englishman has now won 39 ranking titles, holds almost every major record in the game and will finish the season as the world's top ranked player.

Asked about emulating Hendry's record at the Crucible, which was set in 1999, O'Sullivan told BBC Sport: "We can share it for a year. I tried to be as relaxed as I could, but that is probably the greatest result I've had against somebody like Judd [Trump].

"I've never bothered about records. When you get them, it's kind of nice. I don't have targets. I've loved every tournament this year, I've just loved playing.

"I like to win, but it's not the be-all and end-all. The Crucible brings out the worst in me. It's probably not the best idea but we'll probably go again next year."

Despite having a significant seven-frame lead overnight, O'Sullivan's success was far from a formality, with Trump staging a superb fightback on Monday afternoon to claw a 12-5 deficit back to 14-11.

It saw O'Sullivan lose his first session of the Championship as Trump, who had toiled badly on Sunday, produced his best form of the final to eye the second biggest turnaround in Crucible history - after Dennis Taylor's famous revival from 8-0 down to win the 1985 final against Steve Davis.

A wonderful 107 was a highlight as he took five of the day's first six frames and he applied further pressure with a sublime 105 after benefitting from a fluked red.

But in front of a raucous Crucible crowd, O'Sullivan immediately eased any pressure on himself as play got under way in the evening with several sizeable contributions after errors from Trump, who had adopted a policy of all-out attack.

Trump, however, did deliver another moment of Crucible history with a record-breaking 109th century of the tournament - fittingly, with a clearance of 109 - to close the gap to 17-13, before O'Sullivan clinically rounded off his triumph in style.

"I was just glad to make a match out of it," Trump said. "It's been a pleasure to share a table with him.

"It's an amazing achievement and he's the best player of all time - he keeps getting better and better. His determination and dedication are clear to see. He's been the best player in this tournament by quite a distance."

He's playing in a field of players far stronger than in previous generations and that's why he's needed more years to maybe match Stephen Hendry's seven titles.

The longevity of his career is incredible because it didn't happen for me and it didn't happen for Stephen either.

I think it is remarkable what he has achieved. There have been peaks and troughs along the way personally and professionally, but he has done brilliantly well to cope with everything.

He is the person everyone wants to ask questions of, but he has the talent. The pressure he withstands is astonishing.

The word 'genius' is bandied around a lot but he is a true genius of the game, and I think he has an eighth world title in him.

O'Sullivan's route to seventh world title
Round Opponent Result
First David Gilbert 10-5
Second Mark Allen 13-4
Quarter-final Stephen Maguire 13-5
Semi-final John Higgins 17-11
Final Judd Trump 18-13
O'Sullivan's world title wins
Year Opponent Result
2001 John Higgins 18-14
2004 Graeme Dott 18-8
2008 Ali Carter 18-8
2012 Ali Carter 18-11
2013 Barry Hawkins 18-12
2020 Kyren Wilson 18-8
2022 Judd Trump 18-13
O'Sullivan lost the 2014 final 18-14 to Mark Selby, his only defeat in a World Championship final

BBC

Any doubts that Ronnie was the GOAT of snooker laid to bed last night, if he can make it 8 titles next year then wow, all the records in the book no one gets close to him on his day.

Ronnie was playing snooker on a different planet in that final frame when he scythed through the table to get his winning break. Quite jaw dropping stuff.

<b>Ronnie O'Sullivan broke down in tears after Judd Trump's 'lovely words' blew him away</b>

<I>Ronnie O'Sullivan beat Judd Trump in the final of the World Snooker Championship on Sunday evening, winning the tournament for a record-equalling seventh time in his career</I>

After winning the World Snooker Championship for the seventh time in his illustrious career, Ronnie O'Sullivan broke down in floods of tears after sharing a lengthy embrace with opponent Judd Trump after the match.

O'Sullivan defeated Trump 18-13 in the final, becoming the oldest winner in Crucible history at the age of 46. After his victory, O'Sullivan and Trump hugged, with the pair sharing an emotional exchange for more than a minute.

And speaking to Eurosport after the win, O'Sullivan revealed he was 'blown away' by what Trump said to him. "It's relief," The Rocket said. "It's just a really hard tournament, just to get through the matches, it's long, drawn-out.

"I don't know what to say. I was so emotional. I was emotional because of the drain and the effort and to finally just get over the line.

"I just never thought it would happen and I just gave him a big hug and I'm just sobbing in his arms. He just said some such lovely words.

"What he said to me just blew me away to be honest with you. It just blew me away and I love Judd.

"I love him, he's a good lad, he's a great lad. I didn't realise what he thought of me until then. I didn't realise how he sees me and how I've kind of helped or been part of his development.

"It's great for snooker that we've got someone like Judd, playing the way he plays. And there's a couple more coming through. It's going to be brilliant. That's my best result ever I think."

When asked if his embrace with Trump was the nicest moment at the Crucible ever, O'Sullivan replied: "Without a doubt. What he said, Judd, just done me in! Honestly."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/snooker/ronnie-osullivan-judd-trump-tears-26856111.amp

Yan Bingtao: Former Masters champion suspended as part of match-fixing investigation

Former Masters champion Yan Bingtao has been suspended from the World Snooker Tour as part of an ongoing investigation into match-fixing.

China's Yan, the world number 16, was due to play on Monday at the English Open in Brentwood, but his suspension has been imposed after allegations of manipulating the outcome of matches for betting purposes.

The 22-year-old's ban will remain in place until the outcome of the investigation.

Last week, five Chinese players were handed suspensions by snooker's governing body, the WPBSA.

Lu Ning, Li Hang, Zhao Jianbo, Bai Langning and Chang Bingyu were all suspended, while compatriot Liang Wenbo was banned on 27 October pending the results of a misconduct investigation.

"Obviously, it's not a great look this morning but let's not put that in the way of this great sport that goes all over the world," WPBSA chairman Jason Ferguson told BBC Essex.

"We really are making huge progress and the sport is played in the best of spirits 99.99% of the time.

"Unfortunately, this morning there was a strong decision to suspend Yan Bingtao as a result of new evidence that came to light in an ongoing enquiry, which started in October with the suspension of Liang Wenbo.

"It involves a few players and those players will remain suspended. We will not have any concerns over the sport being played in the arena. People are buying tickets and TV rights and watching our sport all over the world.

"It will be played in the spirit it should be played and we'll ensure that, hence these suspensions."

Former world champion Neil Robertson added: "I'm quite shocked. His name was on the board to play the earlier session and then it was taken down."

Yan, who became the youngest Masters champion in 26 years when he beat John Higgins in the 2021 final, has the right to appeal against the decision.

He was due to play Mark Williams in the first round of the 2023 Masters at London's Alexandra Palace next month, but will likely now not feature and be replaced in the draw.

Yan Bingtao is the highest profile player to be suspended as part of this investigation.

The world number 16 was due to play in the Masters next month, a tournament he won in 2021, and has been talked about as being a future world champion in the making.

Snooker legend Jimmy White has called Yan's suspension "a really bad day for snooker", and having a total of seven Chinese players suspended isn't the headlines the sport wants to make.

But the WPBSA, which investigates compliance issues, would argue it has a very strong track record over the past decade when it comes to investigating such cases and punishing anyone found to have acted wrongly.

BBC

Match fixing in snooker is a huge problem and has been for years.

A lot more to come out about this I’m sure.

Yan Bingtao: Former Masters champion suspended as part of match-fixing investigation

Former Masters champion Yan Bingtao has been suspended from the World Snooker Tour as part of an ongoing investigation into match-fixing.

China's Yan, the world number 16, was due to play on Monday at the English Open in Brentwood, but his suspension has been imposed after allegations of manipulating the outcome of matches for betting purposes.

The 22-year-old's ban will remain in place until the outcome of the investigation.

Last week, five Chinese players were handed suspensions by snooker's governing body, the WPBSA.

Lu Ning, Li Hang, Zhao Jianbo, Bai Langning and Chang Bingyu were all suspended, while compatriot Liang Wenbo was banned on 27 October pending the results of a misconduct investigation.

"Obviously, it's not a great look this morning but let's not put that in the way of this great sport that goes all over the world," WPBSA chairman Jason Ferguson told BBC Essex.

"We really are making huge progress and the sport is played in the best of spirits 99.99% of the time.

"Unfortunately, this morning there was a strong decision to suspend Yan Bingtao as a result of new evidence that came to light in an ongoing enquiry, which started in October with the suspension of Liang Wenbo.

"It involves a few players and those players will remain suspended. We will not have any concerns over the sport being played in the arena. People are buying tickets and TV rights and watching our sport all over the world.

"It will be played in the spirit it should be played and we'll ensure that, hence these suspensions."

Former world champion Neil Robertson added: "I'm quite shocked. His name was on the board to play the earlier session and then it was taken down."

Yan, who became the youngest Masters champion in 26 years when he beat John Higgins in the 2021 final, has the right to appeal against the decision.

He was due to play Mark Williams in the first round of the 2023 Masters at London's Alexandra Palace next month, but will likely now not feature and be replaced in the draw.

Yan Bingtao is the highest profile player to be suspended as part of this investigation.

The world number 16 was due to play in the Masters next month, a tournament he won in 2021, and has been talked about as being a future world champion in the making.

Snooker legend Jimmy White has called Yan's suspension "a really bad day for snooker", and having a total of seven Chinese players suspended isn't the headlines the sport wants to make.

But the WPBSA, which investigates compliance issues, would argue it has a very strong track record over the past decade when it comes to investigating such cases and punishing anyone found to have acted wrongly.

BBC

Such a shame. I really like Yan and he seemed like a really talented player. He won the Masters last year after defeating John Higgins in the final. This is a real shame.

Long-standing issue. Han, Maguire, Higgins, Jones to name four.

Don't understand Chinese players doing this, they're bigger superstars than even Davis and Henry were in UK, maybe even Ronnie and liang been in trouble for more nefarious issues too.

Three-time world champion Mark Williams has become the oldest player to make a competitive 147 break.

The Welshman, 47, achieved the total clearance in a 5-3 quarter-final defeat by defending champion Neil Robertson at the English Open.

Williams collected just 17 points as he lost the first three frames in Brentwood.

But he went on to celebrate the third maximum break of his career, even though he lost the match.

Williams' 147 is the seventh maximum break of the season so far and 183rd officially recorded in snooker history.

He made his first competitive 147 break against Robert Milkins at the 2005 World Championship and his second at a minor event in 2010.

Williams will bank the £5,000 prize for the tournament's highest break unless the maximum is equalled.

Robertson had three centuries - 127, 102 and 100 - in a high-quality match, with further breaks of 97 and 63 to progress as he chases the £80,000 first prize.

BBC

Mark Selby will face Luca Brecel in the final of the English Open in Brentwood, Essex on Sunday.

Four-time world champion Mark Selby overcame Luca Brecel to win the English Open final to secure his first ranking title in nearly two years.

Laugh at John Virgo who often boasted how clean Snooker was. I think it started when Stephen Lee was banned for a full twelve years. As more foreign players particularly from the Far East enter the game the chances of match fixing will increase. These guy's from China and Hong Kong love betting.

Snooker's glory days died a long time back. But for the World Championships it doesn't have the same appeal anymore. Ten players being suspended suggests the game is much more rotten then the WPBSA imagined. I am dreading the day we are told that EPL matches are fixed too.

<b>Six-time world champion Steve Davis said snooker's current match-fixing investigation is "embarrassing" for the sport.</b>

Ten Chinese players, including two due to play in the Masters, have been suspended as part of the inquiry.

Speaking on BBC Two, Davis said: "If the allegations are proven to be true, it shows a breathtaking level of stupidity by these players.

"What effect it has on the game, it's hard to evaluate at the moment."

This year's Masters tournament got under way at Alexandra Palace on Sunday without the 2021 winner Yan Bingtao and the 2021 UK Championship winner Zhao Xintong.

Both are currently suspended from the tour pending a probe by the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association.

Three-time Masters champion Davis, 65, added: "It's embarrassing. I think all the players are aware of the situation and fortunately the WPBSA is on top of it."

WPBSA chairman Jason Ferguson told BBC Sport that the developing situation "has been a huge shock" to the sport but that the inquiry is drawing towards its conclusion.

"We are one to two weeks away from the completion of the inquiry and it won't take long after that to assess whether charges need to be levied and then we will establish an independent tribunal and that may all take another month or so," said Ferguson.

"It started in October when we suspended Liang Wenbo. We have not charged anyone yet and we are not sure what will follow at this stage.

"We will consider those charges and those charges may be nil - or they may be very varied, and that will go to an independent tribunal if it goes that way.

"If a player receives a two-year or four-year ban, they are off the tour. It's then a tall ask to get back on."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/64204495

Former champion Judd Trump came from behind to beat Barry Hawkins 6-5 and reach the semi-finals of the Masters.

Both players made numerous errors in a scrappy contest, but it was Trump who held himself together to progress.

The pair shared a century apiece and had traded frames at 4-4, Hawkins took the next but Trump's ton forced a decider before he claimed the victory.

Two more former winners are in action in the evening session, with Shaun Murphy taking on Stuart Bingham.

Hawkins stroked in 110 and Trump made 69 as the first four frames were shared, but the out-of-sorts 2019 champion was punished as he fell 4-3 behind.

Trump, 33, responded by scoring a sublime 143 - a joint-highest break of the tournament - but 43-year-old Hawkins moved one frame away from victory, helped by a fluked red into the middle pocket.

Mark Williams reached his first Masters final for 20 years with a 6-0 whitewash of Jack Lisowski at Alexandra Palace.

Two-time champion Williams, 47, was always in control and his greater experience told after winning a scrappy and hard-fought opener.

He had the better of the tactical exchanges and made three half-centuries to lead 5-0 before sealing his victory in a low-scoring final frame.

The Welshman will face Judd Trump or Stuart Bingham in Sunday's final.

"It's got to be up there with one of my best wins for a long time because I don't get to finals as often as I used to and it gets more difficult the older you get," Williams told BBC Sport.

BBC

Judd Trump claimed his second Masters title with a dramatic 10-8 victory over Mark Williams at Alexandra Palace.

Pakistan’s professional snooker player Asjad Iqbal extended his dream run in the ongoing Snooker Shoot Out as he downed England’s counterpart, Jimmy Robertson 73-33 to book a spot in the Round of 32.

Asjad, who stunned David Gilbert in the first round on Thursday, carried on his momentum to add Robertson to the list of scalped opponents.

In the Round of 64 clash against Robertson, Asjad displayed utter domination as he outclassed his opponent with a gigantic margin of 40 points.

The Pakistani cueist was trailing by five points till the eighth minute before he scripted yet another astounding comeback and sealed the victory; courtesy of a Break of 64.

With his precision and by holding his nerves calm, it was an easy affair for the national cueist in the closing moments before the match timer ran out.

Following the victory, Asjad booked his spot in the Round of 32, the draws of which will be announced in due course.

A-sports

Selby claims first ever Snooker World Championship final 147 in evening session vs Brecel

Mark Selby claimed a sensational first ever Snooker World Championship final 147 in Sunday's evening session vs Luca Brecel.

Trailing 9-6 to the Belgian, Selby - a four time world champion - struck the superb maximum to come within two of Brecel with one frame to play on the night, ahead of the conclusion of the 2023 World Championship on Monday.

In doing so, Selby became just the 10th player in history to register a 147 at the Crucible, and the second this championship after Kyren Wilson earlier in the month.

Selby went on to close out the evening session with a further frame victory, punishing the poor safety play of the attacking Brecel, to cut the gap to just a single frame at 9-8 heading into Monday's finale.

I have been watching snooker for close to 15 years and that 147 was the first 147 that I saw live. What mental strength from Selby to do it in the final of the world championship.

Tomorrow is shaping up to be a very exciting finale and I hope Selby wins it.

Snooker match-fixing scandal: Liang Wenbo and Li Hang handed lifetime bans

Chinese players Liang Wenbo and Li Hang have been handed lifetime bans for their involvement in snooker's biggest match-fixing scandal.

Eight other players, all from China, have received bans ranging from 20 months to five years and four months from the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA).

The allegations include manipulating games, approaching players to cheat, betting on snooker and fixing matches.

Yan Bingtao, the 2021 Masters champion, has been banned until December 2027, while former UK Championship winner Zhao Xintong must serve a suspension that ends in September 2024.

All 10 players have until 20 June to appeal against the decisions.

WPBSA chairman Jason Ferguson said: "This has been a very complex case. It has been heart-breaking to see some young talented players fall foul of the WPBSA Conduct Regulations through pressure exerted by two senior players.

"This behaviour has been recognised as wholly unacceptable by the imposition of two lifetime bans from participating in recognised snooker in any way.

"I am pleased that the commission found that they did not see from the present case any evidence of a wider culture of wrongdoing in snooker.

"The WPBSA will continue its strong stance against those who try to manipulate sport and today's outcome sends out a clear message that match-fixing will not be tolerated in snooker."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/65641122

Top Pakistan Snooker player Majid Ali commits suicide
Majid Ali was Asian U21 Silver Medalist and was a top-ranked player in the national circuit. He was reportedly suffering from depression since his playing days.

Renowned snooker player from Pakistan Majid Ali committed suicide in his hometown Samundri near Faisalabad in Punjab on Thursday (June 29). He was an Asian U21 Silver medalist and represented Pakistan several times at the international level as well apart from being a top player in the national circuit.
Majid was reportedly suffering from depression since his playing days. Police confirmed that he ended his life by using a wood-cutting machine. Majid's brother Umar confirmed that his brother was suffering from depression since long time but admitted that his suicide has shocked everyone including him. "It is a horrifying thing for us because we never expected he would take his own life," Umar said.

The Pakistan Billiards and Snooker chairman, Alamgir Sheikh said that Majid Ali was hugely talented and the country was expecting a lot from him. He also stated that the entire community was saddened by Majid's death while also confirming that he didn't have any financial issues. "He had so much talent and was young and we expected so much from him to bring laurels for Pakistan," Sheikh said.

Majid's passing away is of the second snooker player in a month. Last month, International snooker player Muhammad Bilal passed away due to cardiac arrest. Snooker has become a high-profile sport in Pakistan at the moment after star players like Muhammad Yousuf and Muhammad Asif, among other players helped them win the World and Asian Championship titles. A few of their players have graduated to professional circuit in Snooker.

https://www.indiatvnews.com/sports/...r-majid-ali-commits-suicide-2023-06-30-878578

British Open: Hammad Miah shocks former world champion Judd Trump to reach third round in Cheltenham

World number 113 Hammad Miah shocked former world champion Judd Trump on the final black to reach the third round of the British Open in Cheltenham.

Trump led 2-1 and 3-2 in a thrilling match that saw both players hit two centuries, but was taken to a deciding frame and a black ball decider.

Miah then took advantage of a poor safety shot by the world number four to pot the black and seal one of the biggest wins of his career.

"It feels amazing," said Miah, 30.

Speaking to World Snooker Tour, Miah added: "I haven't had a good start like that in a match for a very long time.

"It felt good to keep up with Judd and it gives you the extra belief that you can really do it if you just focus."

With world number one Ronnie O'Sullivan absent and world champion Luca Brecel already eliminated, the tournament at the Centaur feels wide open.

Another upset saw 2010 world champion Neil Robertson well beaten 4-1 by last season's World Championship semi-finalist Si Jiahu of China.

Australian Robertson took the first frame with a break of 59, but 21-year-old Si reeled off four straight frames, including a break of 107, to comfortably progress.

Elsewhere, three-time world champion Mark Williams overcame Stephen Maguire 4-2, while there were also victories for Fergal O'Brien, David Gilbert, Hossein Vafaei, Ali Carter, Jack Lisowski and former Crucible winner Graeme Dott.

British Open: Mark Williams and Mark Selby through to semi-finals

Mark Selby is through to the British Open semi-finals after overcoming Jack Lisowski 5-4 in a thrilling contest in Cheltenham.

The four-time world champion lost the first two frames but won next three to take the lead, only to be twice pegged back to force a decider.

A break of 65 in a total of 103 finally saw Selby over the line and set up a semi-final with China's Xiao Guodong.

Mark Williams is also through after thrashing China's Fan Zhengyi 5-1.

The three-time world champion hit breaks of 138, 68, 61 and 109 to wrap up victory in just over an hour, finishing the match with a 97% pot success rate.

Welshman Williams will play Hossein Vafaei in the last four after the Iranian fought back from two frames down to beat China's He Guoqiang 5-2.

China's Xiao set up his last-four meeting with Selby by hitting four fifty breaks and a tournament-high 140 to beat England's Tom Ford 5-3.

Match-fixing is a serious crime that undermines the spirit and fairness of competition. I feel sorry for the eight Chinese players who have been suspended for various periods of time. Some of them are very promising and talented, such as Yan Bingtao, the 2021 Masters champion, and Zhao Xintong, the former UK Championship winner. They have made a terrible mistake by following Liang and Li, and they will have to pay a heavy price for it. I hope that they will learn from their errors and come back stronger and wiser after their bans. I hope that this will serve as a deterrent and a lesson for anyone who might be tempted to engage in such behavior.

Mark Williams says maybe he should give himself more credit after winning a 25th ranking title.

Three-time world champion Williams beat Mark Selby 10-7 to win the British Open on Sunday, his first trophy since winning the same tournament in 2021.

However, the 48-year-old Welshman does not know how much longer he can continue to compete at the highest level.

"I'm going to keep going until I can't play any more," said Williams.

"How long I can keep going at this level, I don't know.

"I've always wanted to see where I am going to be at 50. I'm only 49 in six months' time, so I'm not far away and I've just won a tournament.

"So who knows, let's just enjoy the ride while I'm still going."

Williams' first British Open title came in 1997 and he has also won two UK Championships, as well as his three world titles and tournaments around the globe in a 31-year professional career.

"I was more than happy with 24 ranking titles," said Williams.

"If you want me to be truthful, I didn't think I was going to get off it. [Now] I'm on 25 and that is an unbelievable feeling.

"Maybe I'm a bit too harsh on myself. Maybe I do deserve to pat myself on the back a bit.

"Off the back of this maybe I'm a bit better than I give myself credit for as a snooker player.

"I never really give myself that much credit but maybe after winning this, maybe I am pretty good."

Williams opened up a three-frame lead in the first session and led throughout, but had to hold his nerve after Selby, 40, set up a thrilling finish by reducing his deficit to 8-7.

"I don't think many people gave me much of a chance beating him first to 10 over two sessions to be honest," Williams said.

"I think all day I competed with him and probably outplayed him in the safety department to be honest with you. That is really good for me because he is the best in the world at it.

"Just to compete with him, over two sessions and first to 10 in a big tournament, is unbelievable for me. That has to be up there with my best wins ever."

At 48, Williams is the second-oldest winner of a snooker ranking title in history. Only Ray Reardon, the 1982 Professional Players Tournament champion at the age of 50, was older.

To take that record from his fellow Welshman would be yet another mark of greatness in a remarkable career, but when asked if he could surpass Reardon, Williams was typically modest.

"I don't know," he replied. "All I can say is I'll try."

BBC

Mark Allen reeled off four consecutive centuries to defeat Mostafa Dorgham 4-0 in the first round of the English Open in Brentwood on Monday.

Allen put together breaks of 104, 127, 114 and 104 to win in just 51 minutes.

It is the second time the 37-year-old has made four runs of 100 or more in a match.

The previous occasion was in a 5-0 success over Ken Doherty at the European Masters in September 2020, when the Antrim man compiled four centuries in the first four frames.

English Open 2023 results: Mark Selby loses to Martin O'Donnell

Defending champion Mark Selby is out of the English Open after a shock defeat by world number 104 Martin O'Donnell in the second round.

O'Donnell, 37, earned the most notable win of his career with a 4-2 success over the four-time world champion.

As he tried to force a decider, Selby missed a blue when trailing 59-39 and then offered his hand to concede it.

The 40-year-old was playing his second match of the day after beating China's Xing Zihao in the first round earlier.

It came just two days after the Englishman lost to Wales' Mark Williams in the British Open final.

"If anyone can dig out a result when he is tired, it's Mark. I took nothing for granted, kept my focus all the way through and tried to put pressure on him," O'Donnell said.

England's O'Donnell will play either Stephen Maguire or Louis Heathcote in the third round.

Elswehere, world champion Luca Brecel came close to completing a maximum break in the first frame of his 4-1 second-round win over England's Andy Hicks.

Belgium's Brecel knocked in the 15 reds and blacks but went in-off playing the final yellow while on course for a 147.

England's Judd Trump hit a break of 140 in the third frame of his 4-1 win over Scotland's Scott Donaldson, while Iran's Hossein Vafaei held his nerve with a break of 76 in the decider to see off Belgium's Julien Leclercq.

Northern Ireland's Mark Allen swept aside Wu Yize 4-1, while former world champion John Higgins and Ding Junhui were among the other winners at the event in Essex.

Northern Ireland's Mark Allen exited the English Open at the last 32 stage after a 4-2 defeat by England's Matthew Selt.

A break of 103 helped the Antrim man lead 2-0 but runs of 79, 114 and 72 put Selt ahead before he clinched victory in a scrappy sixth frame.

Allen won three titles last season including the UK Championship but has made a slow start to this campaign.

Selt's victory sets up a last-16 match with compatriot Ricky Walden.

BBC

World number one Ronnie O'Sullivan is out of the English Open after a shock last-16 loss to China's Zhang Anda.

Sullivan led 1-0 and 2-1, but world number 57 Zhang hit back with breaks of 97, 50 and 116 to seal a 4-2 victory.

Zhang will play compatriot Zhou Yuelong in the quarter-finals after the latter beat England's Ali Carter 4-1.

O'Sullivan's defeat meant Luca Brecel could have topped the world rankings with a run to the semi-finals, but he lost 4-3 to Ding Junhui.

English Open: Judd Trump reaches final with comeback 6-5 win over John Higgins

John Higgins said he felt like he had been "hit by a truck" after Judd Trump fought back for a 6-5 victory in their English Open semi-final.

Trump recovered from 5-2 down against the Scot to remain on course for his first ranking title in 19 months.

Higgins started strongly with a 124 break and looked set for victory, but runs of 88, 111 and 68 featured in a fine rally from his opponent.

Trump faces Zhang Anda in Sunday's final after he beat Liu Hongyu 6-2.

"At 5-4 I went to the toilet and when I came back in the reaction [from the crowd] was so loud, that inspired me to put on a show for them. That's when I play my best," said Trump.

The English left-hander won the invitational Masters in January but has not landed a ranking event since the Turkish Masters in March 2022.

"I was hit by a truck. Judd started smashing them in," said four-time world champion Higgins.

BBC

English Open: Judd Trump wins title after fighting back to win 9-7 against Zhang Anda

Judd Trump took six successive frames to win the English Open with a 9-7 final victory over Zhang Anda.

The Englishman had fought back to win his semi-final against John Higgins and had to do the same against the Chinese player ranked 57 in the world.

"Zhang played unbelievably and probably deserved to win. He was the better player," said Trump, 34.

It was the Masters champion's 24th ranking title and first since the Turkish Masters 19 months earlier.

What a player Judd Trump is, he had remarkable control of the cue.

He is likely the one who will surpass Ronnie O'Sullivan in snooker for sure.

Ronnie O'Sullivan cruised into the quarter-finals of the Wuhan Open with a 5-4 victory against China's Yuan Sijun.

O'Sullivan made breaks of 130, 64 and 82 to lead 4-1 before fighting back from 63-5 down to win the last frame.

Meanwhile, Northern Ireland's Mark Allen made it into the last eight by defeating Jack Lisowski 5-2.

Allen could replace O'Sullivan as the world number one if he wins the title. The pair are on course to meet in the semi-finals.

O'Sullivan will play another Chinese opponent, Lyu Haotian, in the next round while Allen faces Englishman Ali Carter.

Seven-time world champion Ronnie O'Sullivan suffered a shock 5-1 loss to Lyu Haotian in the quarter-finals of the Wuhan Open.

Breaks of 76 and 66 helped China's Lyu into a commanding 4-0 lead, and while O'Sullivan responded with a run of 101, he was unable to mount a fightback.

World number 41 Lyu will now meet Ali Carter in the semi-finals.

Wuhan Open: Judd Trump beat Ali Carter to seal back-to-back titles

Judd Trump completed back-to-back tournament wins with a 10-7 victory over fellow Englishman Ali Carter in the final of the Wuhan Open.

World number four Trump, 34, arrived late in China after winning the English Open the previous weekend.

He had to play two matches on Wednesday to catch up, but maintained his form to seal the £140,000 winner's prize.

The Masters champion went into the evening session trailing 5-4 but hit two centuries to turn it around.

Carter, 44, was aiming for his second title of the year after winning the German Masters in February, and did well to halt Trump's early charge, battling back from 4-1 down to lead after the first session.

But 2019 world champion Trump levelled the match with a break of 116 and opened a two-frame cushion with further runs of 56 and 71.

The two players shared the next four frames before Trump sealed his 25th ranking title with a break of 105.

"It was a very tough final," Trump told Eurosport. "Ali made it very difficult, even though he didn't play his best.

"I struggled a little bit, but towards the end I just had a few good splits and scored heavier - that was the difference."

As well as finishing runner-up, Carter also took home a £5,000 prize for the tournament's highest break of 145.

Snooker match-fixing: 'Perfect storm' led to corruption scandal, say investigators

A 'perfect storm' of corruption, money troubles, cultural issues and the Covid-19 lockdown led to snooker's biggest match-fixing scandal, investigators have told BBC Sport.

Liang Wenbo and Li Hang were given lifetime bans and eight others - including major winners Yan Bingtao and Zhao Xintong - were handed suspensions earlier this year.

Artificial Intelligence, specialist Mandarin speakers and mobile phone data extraction were all used to catch the culprits.

Now it is hoped the sanctions will act as a deterrent to potential cheats, while further education and greater involvement are planned at snooker academies.

Bringing in licences for agents and managers is being considered, and players have been warned criminal prosecution is possible if they flout the rules.

The allegations against the 10 players included manipulating games, approaching players to cheat, betting on snooker and fixing matches in 2022.

Nine of the players were based in Sheffield and trained at the Ding Junhui Snooker Academy and Victoria's Snooker Academy in the city.

While there is no blame attached to the academies themselves, the group spent much of their time together, many did not speak English and they became lonely and isolated during the Covid-19 pandemic when they were unable to return to their homeland, which was in lockdown.

"Players relocated to Sheffield to give themselves a better chance with their career," said Nigel Mawer, who led the World Snooker and Professional Billiards Association's investigation.

"Inevitably those players who don't speak English gravitate together. There were two senior players in that group looking to make money through betting.

"You've got a corrupt influence in the camp, money shortages and the cultural and Covid issues, it was a perfect storm."

An independent disciplinary hearing was told Liang's behaviour was "disgraceful", putting pressure on young players experiencing financial difficulties to fix matches while Li became involved after initially having a betting account which he used to help younger players gamble.

The cheating mainly revolved around fixing the scores, or the number of frames won in matches.

One corrupt match generated a profit of £30,000 with £5,000 of that going to the player who cheated.

Back