The Talent Spotter : Nasir Malik

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Nasir Malik is a 19 year old left arm medium fast bowler from the Rawalpindi fast bowling production line.

Nasir's only played four first class matches for Rawalpindi, but he's already caught the eye by picking up 21 wickets in those four matches at 21.57 apiece.

In the ongoing match against Sui Gas, Nasir picked up 3 first innings wickets and also scored a useful 36 runs, batting at number 9.

PakPassion caught up with the Rawalpindi coach Sabih Azhar, to get the lowdown on Nasir.

"Nasir is a very good young cricketer. He's hitting between 84 and 86 mph, is a very good fielder and is very useful with the bat. He's the quickest of our young bowlers at Rawalpindi, is very consistent and a quick learner." added Sabih.

Nasir toured Zimbabwe with the Pakistan under 19s last year, but unfortunately did not make the Under 19 World Cup squad that did so well in New Zealand.

"He's done very well at inter district level and at Under 19 level and we feel that this season could be a big one for Nasir. He's a very good prospect and has all the ingredients to become a regular in the Pakistan lineup in future, if he continues to develop, work hard and has a bit of luck", continued Sabih.

It's the teenager's first full domestic season and naturally the comparison with another Rawalpindi left arm speedster, Mohammad Amir will be made. However Sabih felt that it would be wholly unfair to compare Nasir with Amir.

"Amir was a one-off, he was exceptional. I could see that he would be a world class bowler the first time I saw Amir bowl. Nasir can become a very good bowler. Already in the few matches he has played, he has impressed everyone. He's raw, inexperienced, but I see something in him, stated Sabih who has nurtured talent such as Shoaib Akhtar, Yasir Arafat, Umar Amin, Sohail Tanvir amongst others.

"There are areas of Nasir's game that will improve with experience. He can swing the ball both ways, bowls at good pace and he will develop with time. There are a lot of positives regarding his bowling and my advice to him at the moment is to be patient, as he wants to bowl six different deliveries every over. His bowling will no doubt improve and mature once he's played on differing surfaces and encountered different types of batsmen."

"We have high hopes of Nasir and all of us at Pindi hope that he can become another of the Rawalpindi pace bowlers who go on to represent Pakistan."

Hopefully we will shortly be receiving video footage of both Nasir Malik and his pace bowling partner Sadaf Hussain. Once it's received we will of course add it to the site.

paksitan seems to have abundance in left am fast bowling these days,junain khan ,sadaf hussain and now nasir malik.

Nice Saj, surprised I scoured over him. Another guy is saad nasim who is a spin bowling all rounder from lahore.

Credit to Sabih Azhar for nurturing talent that is coming out of Pindi but also credit must go to guys like Azhar Mahmood and shoaib Akhtar. Prior to their emergence I dont remember many players from Pindi especially not as many as there are now.

thankx saj good to hear some good talent coming up!!

The coaches at Pindi really are working hard in scouring the local talented youngsters.

Sabih was saying that they have scouts and coaches going to colleges and to local club matches and to schools matches to identify talent.

In fact Sabih told me some fascinating stories regarding how Sohail Tanvir, Yasir Arafat and Shoaib Akhtar were discovered.

We will hopefully do a full interview with Sabih in future.

He sounded pretty excited about Nasir and it will be good to see how he develops in the coming months and years.

sounds like a very exciting prospect, best of luck to him!

am loving the talent Pindi is producing these days! :sohail :amin :raza :hammad

Good work ... well looking at the bowling today ... how flat it seems ... there was no venom in the bowling .... I hope from out of the bowl someone should walk down ... tell us ... he is another one .... who we will want to use for others .... I don't please help us hehehe

well i hope he is not another Mohammad Irfan...he was suppose to be the next big thing..

PP has this love affair for hyping up players...

He's a very good prospect and has all the ingredients to become a regular in the Pakistan lineup in future, if he continues to develop, work hard and has a bit of luck", continued Sabih.

"Amir was a one-off, he was exceptional. I could see that he would be a world class bowler the first time I saw Amir bowl. Nasir can become a very good bowler. .

1) In pakistan luck is very important if you don't have right connections.:farhat

2) The coach has made it clear that we haven't found a new :amir

But he can improve ang get really good. Hope we can spot som good batters as well.

4 more wickets today for Nasir :) That too against the side that are top of the league at the moment.

http://www.pcboard.com.pk/Pakistan/Scorecards/308/308107.html

Saj bhai, what have your sources told you with regards to the talent of both Nasir and Sadaf? Do any of these have the talent and the ability to match that of Amir in the near future?

Also Saj bhai, PPers eagerly await the video of the two bowlers as was said in the OP :)

Last edited:
Nice Saj, surprised I scoured over him. Another guy is saad nasim who is a spin bowling all rounder from lahore.

Credit to Sabih Azhar for nurturing talent that is coming out of Pindi but also credit must go to guys like Azhar Mahmood and shoaib Akhtar. Prior to their emergence I dont remember many players from Pindi especially not as many as there are now.
If you check old news Sabih Azhar is the guy who Shoaib Akhtar replaced when he started. But he doesn't hold it against him, says Akhtar is a great guy.

Saj bhai, what have your sources told you with regards to the talent of both Nasir and Sadaf? Do any of these have the talent and the ability to match that of Amir in the near future?

Also Saj bhai, PPers eagerly await the video of the two bowlers as was said in the OP :)

Atif, lets keep our feet on the ground. The Pindi coach Sabih Azhar has said that whilst both are lefties, neither should be compared to Amir, as he was an exceptional talent.

Both still have a lot to learn, but Sabih did say to me that Nasir at the moment is the better all round cricketer as things stand.

Yes the videos will be with us hopefully soon.

And also we'll be doing a full interview with Sabih Azhar in the near future.

The fast bowling hub.

:akhtar :amir :amin

:amin ?? or was he used as a finish-off smiley ? :akhtar

going back to the topic, its amazing how pindi continues to produce fast bowlers like clockwork. Wont be long before we find :akhtar's replacement inshallah

Atif, lets keep our feet on the ground. The Pindi coach Sabih Azhar has said that whilst both are lefties, neither should be compared to Amir, as he was an exceptional talent.

Both still have a lot to learn, but Sabih did say to me that Nasir at the moment is the better all round cricketer as things stand.

Yes the videos will be with us hopefully soon.

And also we'll be doing a full interview with Sabih Azhar in the near future.

Ask sabih about umar amin in detail in your interview! I would love to hear why the most technically correct batsmen failed in international from his coach! This is a major question coz we all regarded umar amin as good player including me!

this is off topic, but i thought umar amins problems were mental, when he settled down he played some real nice shots, but then his concentration would fail and he didnt make it count.

Even though he didnt score many runs, he rarely looked uncomfortable until he got out.

Ask sabih about umar amin in detail in your interview! I would love to hear why the most technically correct batsmen failed in international from his coach! This is a major question coz we all regarded umar amin as good player including me!

Good question, I suggest you add it to the questions thread for Sabih once we start it.

In Rawalpindi Rams squad, I guess there are great chances that he plays against the Afghan Cheetas tomorrow, though they've got plenty of pace bowling options (Mohammad Rameez, Sadaf Hussain and Sohail Tanvir.)

I really hope he is given a chance in the next game for Pindi. Looking forward to seeing him bowl.

mohammed rameez is a quality quick bowlerwho picks up key wickets raza hassan was made by rawalpindi(i live in attock when in pakistan ) and should have stayed to further aid his development.

He has turned 22 today, so congrats to him :)

But where is he? He has such a fine record.

Rawalpindi producing the best talent for the country.
Sadaf Hussain
Nasir Malik
Umar Amin
Shoaib Ahmed Minhas
Syed Tauseef Shah.

Nasir Malik has been Very Impressive in Quaid-e-azam trophy
56 Wicket,s Ave-19 S/R 38

Highest Wicket taker in Quaid-e-azam Trophy follow by Mir hamza

Rawalpindi will forever be ashamed for laying the black egg/chicken...any guesses? :)

last year didnt play many games , where is he , is he injured , dont see him now

He is from Gul Club, have seen him bowl on cement, guy could generate huge amount of pace in a very short run up

last year didnt play many games , where is he , is he injured , dont see him now

He will play for SSGC in qualifying round and if they qualify than in Quaid e azam trophy . He had a great second last season when he was in contention was highest wicket taker or at 2nd place but last year when he played for department than I don't know whether he got injured or wasn't 100 % , it wasn't a profitable season for him .

he is not in this year's SSGC squad [MENTION=138980]TalentSpotterPk[/MENTION]

where the hell is nasir malik [MENTION=138980]TalentSpotterPk[/MENTION]

where the hell is nasir malik [MENTION=138980]TalentSpotterPk[/MENTION]

He must have been in any squad surely. I don't know what happened to him either he got an injury or regressed. Last year wasn't fruitful for him when he got promoted from rawalpindi team to I think ZTBL team. Didn't perform well. I don't think he is in rawalpindi squad. Sabih would have excluded his name since he did not want him to leave rawalpindi team to join a department and being a successful coach he has got arrogance .

any team of lahore could have played him , his talent is being wasted

Does anyone know what happened to nasir malik

Back