The Tennis Thread

W63L35

Post of the Week winner
Runs
Post of the Week
:|
Saree state of affairs at Bangalore Open

Serena and Venus Williams

Fashion buffs Serena and Venus Williams added to their broad pallete of outfits when they swayed down the aisle wearing sarees during the Players' Party for the WTA Bangalore Open on Sunday night.

The brash and bubbly sisters played to the gallery to the hilt, waving and blowing kisses to the exclusive crowd attending the function at the Leela Palace.

Venus, who is an art graduate, said she loved the sarees, "but the only problem is that I can't wear it on my own. This might be the last time I am wearing a saree so click as many pictures as you can."

The younger Williams, draped in orange, surprisingly said she was quite comfortable in the Indian wear and would like to wear it again.

Jelena Jankovic

Top seed at the Bangalore Open, Jelena Jankovic, with her fair complexion and dark hair, looked stunning in her dep blue saree. The world number four who had "always wanted to wear it", finally had her wish fulfilled.

"I tried to be as authentic as I could be and off course I had to put a little Indian accessory on my forehead in order to pull the whole look off. At the party, organizers asked us to walk on the runway. They wanted to show all the saris in a brief fashion show. I got many compliments as if I was a truly an Indian woman since I walked in an elegant and confident way in it. It's not easy if you are wearing it for the first time but I felt very comfortable, and enjoyed the evening very much," the Serb said.

Along with the three star attractions of the tournament, defending champion Yaroslava Shvedova and India's very own Isha Lakhani took the ramp.

And when all the girls came back on the stage for an photo-op, Vijay Amritraj, doing his regular job of hosting the evening, couldn't help commenting, "I feel like I'm back in a Bond movie!"

The pretty and petite Patty Schnyder, seeded fourth for the Tier-II tournament, though shied away from the stage saying she didn't know if she could carry of the drapes well.

While the glitz and glamour was thrown in aplenty and the event organisers accentuating Indianness to the maximum, with flower garlands and oil lamps and an Indian dance show preceding the fashion show, it will be back to the court and sweat and sportswear for the girls once the tournament kicks off on Monday.
http://specials.rediff.com/sports/2008/mar/03sld3.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
from bbc.co.uk/sport

Superb Murray overcomes Federer

Britain's Andy Murray produced some glorious tennis to beat world number one Roger Federer in a three-set thriller at the Dubai Championship.

The unseeded Scot, 20, won 6-7 (6-8) 6-3 6-4 to dump the four-times champion out in the first round on Monday.

Murray wasted a set point in a close first set tie-break which Federer won.

But Murray, who did not face a break point throughout, hit back in stunning fashion with breaks in both the second and third sets to win in style.

The British number one recorded his second straight victory over the Swiss having defeated him in Cincinnati in August 2006, and now boasts a 2-1 head-to-head record.

The loss was also Federer's second in a row - the last time he played was the semi-final Australian Open defeat to eventual champion Novak Djokovic in January.

The 26-year-old had not lost a first round match since his defeat to Dominik Hrbaty in Cincinnati in August 2004, though he lost his opening match at last year's Pacific Life Open to Guillermo Canas after a bye into the second round.

Murray, showing a significant improvement in his serve, narrowly lost the fast-paced first set 8-6 on a tie break after spurning two set points.

But he clinically took the first break point in the second set to break Federer's serve in the sixth game with a brave forehand pass and went on to level the match and force the decider.

Murray then seized the initiative in the first game of the third set and was presented with an early chance after Federer made a backhand error to give him two break points.

But Federer, playing some sublime shots of his own, held serve and put Murray on the ropes in his next service game - though he could not force the break.

Staying calm amid some poor line calls which forced the umpire to overrule, Murray broke Federer in the fifth game of the third set before serving out for the win.

Murray, who has faced recent criticism for pulling out of Britain's Davis Cup team, said he was delighted with the manner of his victory.

"Any time you get to play against someone like that it's just an honour to be on the same court," he said.

"But each time I've played him I've stepped my game up.

"It's tough to close it out against him but I served great and that was really the key.

"Playing against him, composure is the key. Sometimes he's going to play some unbelievable shots and you don't have a chance, so I just had to re-focus.

"I'd been serving well and I don't think he had a break point the whole match. I'm not sure how often that has happened to him."

He also spoke of the effects of a new aspect to his training regime - Bikram yoga.

"It's ugly. I started doing it in December. It's helped me a lot with my fitness and mental strength," he said.

Murray will now face Spain's Fernando Verdasco in the last 16.

Fair play to Murray, beating Federer has to be applauded.

Despite this win Im not sure whether Murray has it in him to win a Grand Slam (atleast right now) - I think he lacks the consistency to mount a serious challenge and the mens game is quite competitive right now.

Raul Madrid said:
So what did Sania Mirza wear? :)

she's not playing in india anymore ..

from wiki -

"Mirza said in January 2008 that she considered quitting the sport because of undue controversy surrounding her actions. Mirza was pictured resting her feet during a press conference at the 2008 Hopman Cup, with an Indian flag in close proximity.[6] She faced possible prosecution under the Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act after a private citizen complained. Mirza protested that, "I love my country, I wouldn't be playing Hopman Cup otherwise", and said that she meant no disrespect. On February 4, 2008, Mirza said that she would stop appearing in tennis tournaments held in India, starting with the 2008 Bangalore Open next month citing the series of controversies and upon advice by her manager.[7]"

Looking at the 3 pics posted, bunch of them look hijras or something like that.

Excellent win for Murray but overall i don't like his attitude on the court. He is a good talent but mentally not as mature as some of the top players like Djokovic and Nadal.

PlanetPakistan said:
Excellent win for Murray but overall i don't like his attitude on the court. He is a good talent but mentally not as mature as some of the top players like Djokovic and Nadal.

In what respect?

I dont have a issue with Murray, I just fear he is going to suffer from the Henmania type stuff here in Britain BUT like you say he isnt mentally mature so I doubt he will be able to handle that pressure

March 10 isn't Fed facing Sampras in NY again? (charity match) Federer won 2-1 last year in three asian match.

Did you read about Tommy Hass's quote recently? "Have mercy, Pete." With aces Pete finishes him off. This was last month. No wonder Fed lost in the first round. he needs to travel around the world to get to NY and get ready for his idol.

Federer criticises Murray's style

from bbc.co.uk/sport

World number one Roger Federer believes Andy Murray's game has not changed since their first meeting in the Thailand Open final in 2005.

Murray has won the last two of their three career meetings, including victory in the first round of the Dubai Championship on Monday.

"He's going to have to grind very hard for the next few years if he keeps playing this way.

"He tends to wait a lot for the mistake of the opponent," said Federer.

"He stands way far behind on the court and that means you've got to do a lot of running.

"I gave him the mistakes today but I think overall, over a 15-year career, you want to look to win a point more often than for an opponent to miss.

"That's what served me well over the years but who knows, he might surprise us all and do it for 20 years.

"I don't think he's changed his game a whole lot since I played him in the Bangkok final.

"Not that I'm disappointed but I really would have thought he would have changed it in some ways."

But Murray, who beat Federer 6-7 (6-8) 6-3 6-4 in Dubai, said he was surprised by Federer's comments.

"You do different things against different players." said the Scot.

"You go and watch my match against Rafael Nadal at the 2007 Australian Open, and I was playing pretty close to the baseline in that match and taking a lot of risks because I think that's the right way to play against him..

"Against Federer I don't think that's the right way to play. I'm not going to play that sort of game against someone that defends as well as Federer does.

"My serve is clearly much better than it was two years ago. I feel quicker and stronger around the court. Mentally I feel like I'm better.

"But there are still some things in my game that I want to improve and it does take some time to put them into the match court. I feel like I've started to do that this year."

Seems like this defeat has hurt Federer - he usually praises his opponent BUT has instead had a dig at Murray

Geordie Ahmed said:
In what respect?

I dont have a issue with Murray, I just fear he is going to suffer from the Henmania type stuff here in Britain BUT like you say he isnt mentally mature so I doubt he will be able to handle that pressure
Seems like he doesn't want to be out there plus gets very grumpy and negative.

Geordie Ahmed said:
from bbc.co.uk/sport

Seems like this defeat has hurt Federer - he usually praises his opponent BUT has instead had a dig at Murray
yeah thats quite unlike Federer

and in the next round Murray struggles to a win against Verdasco.

He wins 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(7-5)

Andy Roddick beats Rafael Nadal 7-6 (7-5) 6-2

Also he announced that he has split from his coach Jimmy Connors

Lopez shocks Davydenko in Dubai

from bbc.co.uk/sport

Feliciano Lopez caused a massive upset when he defeated fifth seed Nikolay Davydenko 6-4 4-6 7-5 to secure his place in the Dubai Open final.

The unseeded Spaniard beat Andy Murray's conqueror to set up a showdown with American Andy Roddick on Saturday.

Lopez - ranked 41 in the world - came back from 2-5 down in the final set to secure his victory over the Russian.

Roddick beat Novak Djokovic 7-6 6-3 and said: "I'm excited. I played well and I played the right way."

Roddick added: "I had to, otherwise I wasn't going to win. He wasn't missing at all in the first set.

"He wasn't missing serves and I couldn't get into his service games.

"I definitely had to try to stay the course and try and tough out some games before I got the momentum on my side there in the tiebreak."

Lopez had looked beaten in the final set, but completed an impressive comeback.

"It was really good for me because to win a match from 5-2 in the third is tough," he said. "I made it but I think I was a little bit lucky."

PlanetPakistan said:
wow very surprised to see Djokovic losing to A Rod.

Same here BUT A Rod can turn it on and compete with the best - he is very inconsistent tho.

guys whilst on the topic of tennis. Aisam ul Haq sends his sincere apologies for the delay in his PP interview.

We are hoping to meet up later this year and the interview could take place face to face.

Roddick sees off Lopez in Dubai

from bbc.co.uk/sport

American sixth seed Andy Roddick won the Dubai Championships with a 6-7 (8-10), 6-4, 6-2 victory over unseeded Spaniard Feliciano Lopez.

He went through the entire week without dropping his serve, and did not face a break point in the final.

"This is as well as I have ever played. With these great players, to finish a week like this is just great," he said.

Roddick claimed the scalps of world number two Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic en route to the final.

He earned his 25th career title and his second of the year after winning in San Jose last month.

It was all the more remarkable because Roddick had a 6,000-mile journey from Memphis via Frankfurt which left him exhausted for the first two days of the tournament.

The first set went with serve (Lopez delivered 24 aces in all) but Roddick took a 4-1 lead in the tie-break before allowing the Spaniard back in.

When Lopez thundered three aces in a row to nose ahead 4-3 in the second set, an upset seemed possible but Roddick pounced on an error to turn the pressure around.

"I didn't feel like he was missing at all in the first set," Roddick added.

"When I lost the tie-break I told myself just keep at it because I don't remember him missing a ball."

Congrats to Roddick - its a big win for him.

Serena battles to win over Venus

from bbc.co.uk/sport

Serena Williams overcame staunch resistance from her sister Venus to win their semi-final at the Bangalore Open.

The pair were meeting for the first time since 2005 and, after withstanding a valiant fightback from her elder sibling, Serena won 6-3 3-6 7-6 (7-4).

Serena, 26, takes her career head-to-head record against Venus, 27, to 8-7 in her favour.

Fourth seed Patty Schnyder beat China's Yan Zi 6-3 6-4 in Saturday's first semi-final.

Congrats to Roddick.
Considering how hard he has worked over the years i would want A Rod to finish his career with at least 3 majors(currently he only has 1 major which he won way back in sept 2003).

3-6, 7-6, 6-7. Sampras lost. He was leading the fifth set 5-2???? grrrrr!!! (one break lead)

Murray in line for Federer test

from bbc.co.uk/sport

Andy Murray has received a bye in the first round of the Pacific Life Open - but has been drawn in the same quarter as Roger Federer and Andy Roddick.
The British number one is the 11th seed for the Indian Wells Masters Series event, which begins on Thursday.

Murray will face Marat Safin or Jurgen Melzer in his opening match.

The Scot is seeded to face in-form Roddick in the fourth round before a possible quarter-final meeting with world number one Federer.

Murray took his head-to-head record with Federer to 2-1 by beating the Swiss in the first round in Dubai - a tournament Roddick won.

Federer will look to get his season back on track after losing in the Australian Open semi-finals to Novak Djokovic before that defeat by Murray.

The 12-times Grand Slam champion has blamed his below-par performances on a virus but claims he is now back to full fitness.

Federer, who along with all 32 seeds has a bye in the first round, faces Argentine Sergio Roitman or Guillermo Garcia-Lopez of Spain in his opening match.

The 26-year-old Federer will be looking for a good run in California to re-establish himself at the top of the world rankings.

Rafael Nadal has closed to within 350 points of the top spot, the smallest margin Federer has led by since May 2004.

Nadal could face an intriguing rematch with Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the third round in Indian Wells.

Frenchman Tsonga blew away Nadal in straight sets on his way to the Australian Open final.

Among the leading contenders in the women's competition, starting on Wednesday, are Australian Open champion Maria Sharapova and world number two Ana Ivanovic of Serbia.

Third-ranked Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova and Serbia's Jelena Jankovic, the world number four, are also taking part.

Hopefully Murray can progress and face Federer - will certainly be an intriguing match. I would expect Federer to beat him this time

Roddick to snub Beijing Olympics

from bbc.co.uk/sport

Andy Roddick will not compete at this year's Olympics in Beijing as the world number six wants to instead defend his Legg Mason Classic title in Washington.
Both events will be held from 11-17 August and the American believes staying on home soil will be better preparation for the US Open.

"My goal every summer is to win the US Open," said the 25-year-old.

"I've won the Classic three times and defending my title best prepares me for another grand slam."

Roddick has enjoyed a relatively successful start to the season. He won his 25th career title last week - his second of the year - with a 6-7 (8-10) 6-4 6-2 victory over Spaniard Feliciano Lopez in the final of the Dubai Championships.

Flushing Meadows is the scene of Roddick's only grand slam success, back in 2003, and the former world number one is eager to taste glory again at this year's US Open, which will be held from 25 August - 7 September.

Roddick has won in Washington in 2001, 2005 and 2007. He beat compatriot John Isner 6-4 7-6 in last year's final.

Thats an understandable decision - the US Open probably represents his best chance of winning another Grand Slam so that will be given priority.

errr...i don't like this.
I won't be too harsh on A Rod as he is a good guy but in events such as the davis cup and Olympics you represent the country so athletes should always try to make themselves available.

Anyone notice how SWING is a major feature in tennis?
From the seves to the passing shots which swing alot?

Any links between this swing and swing in cricket?

Murray labours to win over Melzer

from bbc.co.uk/sport

Andy Murray moved into the third round of the Pacific Life Open with a less than convincing win over Jurgen Melzer.

The British number one had a bye in the first round and after losing the first set he sealed a 3-6 6-3 6-3 win.

It was a lacklustre first set from the Scot as Melzer broke twice on his way to winning the opening four games.

Despite struggling with a back injury Murray, 20, won the final two sets against the Austrian to book a meeting with Ivo Karlovic in the next round.

Murray, 20, is drawn in the same quarter as world number one Roger Federer and in-form Andy Roddick.

The Scot is the only Briton in the singles, although his brother Jamie lines up alongside Max Mirnyi in the doubles.

Fellow Britons Alex Bogdanovic, Jamie Baker, Katie O'Brien and Anne Keothavong all lost in qualifying for the singles event.

Murray, a semi-finalist last year, is seeded to face Roddick in the fourth round before a possible quarter-final meeting with Federer.

On Saturday in the doubles Murray and Eric Butorac defeated Martin Damm and Pavel Vizner 7-5 6-3.

Good win for Murray tho he struggled a bit.

Federer wins but Roddick goes out

from bbc.co.uk/sport

World number one Roger Federer returned to form after a bout of glandular fever with a 6-3 6-2 win over Guillermo Garcia-Lopez at the Pacific Life Open.

"I haven't played much, this is the difficulty," said Federer, who bounced back from two straight tour losses.

Sixth seed Andy Roddick was defeated by unseeded Tommy Haas 6-4 6-4 in Indian Wells in a tempestuous match.

Australian Open winner Maria Sharapova continued her unbeaten start to 2008, defeating Eleni Daniilidou 7-5 6-3.

Federer is searching for his first title of the year and is aiming to get back on track with a fourth crown in the California desert.

"Every first round you play at a big tournament is always a bit of pressure if you're number one seed," stated the 27-year-old.

"I could have taken more chances and won more easily but I'm happy with the way it went."

Roddick threw down his racquet and hit a ball out of the stadium as he went down to German Haas.

The pair were evenly matched, Haas had 30 winners to Roddick's 26 and both made 26 unforced errors, but Haas converted both his break chances.

"When I broke him, I really played some great points, backhand and forehand passing shots and forehand lobs, and that was really the only difference," conceded Haas.

Despite his on-court outbursts, Roddick was able to swallow his defeat after winning titles in San Jose and Dubai.

"It's a lot easier sitting here after this loss today having put together the body of work I have over the last month," he said.

"It's probably easier to take and probably affects your confidence a lot less."

Roddick was the biggest victim in the men's draw on Sunday, although number 12 seed Fernando Gonzalez was beaten 7-5 3-6 6-3 by Croatia's Mario Ancic.

Dissapointing from Roddick, I was expecting him to compete for this trophy.

Good win for Federer and a match between him and Murray is still a possibility

Federer hits form in Indian Wells

from bbc.co.uk/sport

Roger Federer was in magnificent form as he cruised to a comfortable 6-1 6-1 win over Nicolas Mahut in the third round of the Pacific Life Open.
The world number one has competed in only two tournaments this season after a bout of glandular fever.

But Federer served superbly, hitting nine aces and winning 23 of 24 points on his first serve.

Woah, convincing win from Federer, Murray better be ready

Murray battles to beat Karlovic

from bbc.co.uk/sport

Andy Murray battled past Croatian Ivo Karlovic in the third round of the Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells.
The first two sets went to tie-breaks before the British number one took the third to win 7-6 (9-7) 6-7 (3-7) 6-3.

Eleventh seed Murray broke Karlovic at 4-3 in the final set and served out to secure the victory.

The Scot goes on to the last 16 where he will face Tommy Haas - the man he beat in last year's quarter-finals - at approximately 2100 GMT on Wednesday.

Should Murray win that match, world number one Roger Federer is a potential quarter-final opponent this time around.

And he will hope to be in calmer frame of mind for his next match, having frequently lost his temper against Karlovic.

"I was disappointed with my attitude during the match, I was getting really angry and I haven't done that this year," said Murray.

"I was just in a bad frame of mind and you can sometimes snap out of it, but when you're playing someone who is as frustrating to play against as him, it's difficult.

"I was just happy with the way I came through in the end because I was not focusing as well as I should have been."

Wasnt easy for Murray BUT a quarter-final with Federer is still a strong possibility.

Hawk-Eye challenge rules unified

from bbc.co.uk/sport
The four tennis governing bodies, the ITF, ATP, WTA Tour and Grand Slam Committee, have agreed to adopt a unified Hawk-Eye challenge system.

Players will be allowed to make three unsuccessful challenges per set at any tournament using Hawk-Eye, plus one more if the set reaches a tie-break.

Since Hawk-Eye technology was introduced tournaments had been allowed to set their own rules for the system.

Next week's Sony Ericsson Open will be the first event to use the new rules.

Previously some tournaments have allowed players to have an unlimited number of challenges in every match, while other events allowed two or three unsuccessful challenges per set.

The governing bodies said players and teams would now be allowed a maximum of three unsuccessful challenges per set plus one more if the set reached a tie-break.

Three of the four Grand Slams use the Hawk-Eye technology. The French Open is the only major not to use the system as the ball leaves a mark on the clay surface.

This is good - it was a bit weird where the rules differed from tournament to tournamant, now atleast the players know where they stand.

Anyone know how our very own superstar tennis pro Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi is getting along on the ATP tour? Last time I checked he had climbed to 135 in the world.

legslip said:
Anyone know how our very own superstar tennis pro Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi is getting along on the ATP tour? Last time I checked he had climbed to 135 in the world.
Not doing too well these days.

Misfiring Murray goes out to Haas

from bbc.co.uk/sport

Andy Murray surrendered a one-set lead to crash out of the Pacific Life Open 2-6 7-5 6-3 to Germany's Tommy Haas.

The British number one started strongly, breaking in the third and fifth games to take the opening set.

Murray's serve deserted him in the second and Haas stormed to a 4-1 lead, and although Murray recovered the break, the German broke again to level.

Murray then passed up five break points in the decider, and paid for it as Haas broke him to love and then served out.

The Scottish 20-year-old berated himself afterwards, saying: "If I had played a bit more aggressively in the third set - like I did in the first set - then I would have won the match.

"I still think I was good enough to win the match but I didn't."

Murray had vowed to keep his temper under control against Haas having failed to stay calm in his third-round victory over Ivo Karlovic.

But it was another outburst in the final set against Haas that seemed to turn the tide for the German, who is making his comeback from shoulder surgery.

After missing a chance to break Haas at 4-3, Murray screamed out in frustration, but that only succeeded in firing up Haas who immediately broke the Briton to love.

The German set up two match points and Murray netted on the second of them to hand Haas victory.

Murray was at least happier with his on-court attitude than he had been after his win over Ivo Karlovic in the previous round.

"It was better than yesterday, that's for sure," he said.

"I got annoyed a couple of times but that was more because I was playing a bit defensive and wasn't quite finding a way to get on the offensive in the third set.

"But the mindset was way better today than it was yesterday. I was much calmer at the start of the match."

There goes the Murray-Federer match. I so wanted it to happen, dont like Murray so it would have been nice to see Federer whoop him.

Nadal to face Djokovic in semis

from bbc.co.uk/sport

Rafael Nadal enjoyed his first-ever win over American James Blake to reach the semi-finals of the Pacific Life Open.

The Spaniard finally got the upper hand when he broke in game eight of the third set and came through 7-5 3-6 6-3.

He will face Novak Djokovic, who beat Stanislas Wawrinka 7-6 (7-2) 6-2.

Defending champion Nadal had lost all three of his previous matches against Blake and was pushed hard again, recovering from 4-1 down to win the first set.

"The thing is not beating James, the thing is being in the semi-final and beating two big players like (Jo-Wilfried)Tsonga and Blake," said Nadal.

"For me, those were two very important matches. At this moment I feel like I'm playing good tennis.

"I feel very good on the ball with my forehand so I think, if I am to win this match, I have to win with my forehand."

Djokovic had trouble in the early stages against Wawrinka and squandered a 5-3 lead in the opening set before winning the tie-break.

"I didn't play so well in the first set," said Djokovic.

"I made a lot of unforced errors. He knows that I'm going to try to be aggressive so he was waiting for his chance. He was playing very wisely.

"You can't always play on your top level and it's normal to have some difficult stages in a tournament.

"I'm happy to win such a difficult match."

The other half of the draw will see Roger Federer take on Tommy Haas and David Nalbandian face Mardy Fish on Friday.

Good win for Nadal - I didnt realise Blake had such a good record against him. The Djokovic match should be good, gonna be tough for Nadal.

Djokovic sees off champion Nadal

from bbc.co.uk/sport

Third seed Novak Djokovic swept past second seed and defending champion Rafael Nadal to reach the final of the Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells.

The Serb broke twice in each set to win 6-3 6-2 in one hour 28 minutes.

Nadal had lengthy treatment to a toe injury between sets and could not match last year's final win over Djokovic.

World number one Roger Federer plays American Mardy Fish in the second semi-final of the Masters Series event.

Nadal took a 6-2 career record against Djokovic into the first semi-final and grabbed an early break.

But Djokovic levelled at 2-2 and broke again for 5-3 with a net cord, serving out the set with an ace.

Nadal was struggling on serve and he lost the last four games as Djokovic dominated.

A convincing win for Djokovic - a repeat of the Australian Open Final is a strong possibility here. I expect Federer to beat Mardy Fish.

Geordie Ahmed said:
from bbc.co.uk/sport

A convincing win for Djokovic - a repeat of the Australian Open Final is a strong possibility here. I expect Federer to beat Mardy Fish.

Fish sends Federer crashing out

Unseeded American Mardy Fish produced a stunning display to beat world number one Roger Federer in the semi-finals of the Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells.

World number 98 Fish served superbly and fired winners from everywhere as he raced to a 6-3 6-2 victory.

He will play third seed Novak Djokovic in Sunday's final after the Serb beat defending champion Rafael Nadal 6-3 6-2 in one hour 28 minutes.

Federer is still looking for his first title in 2008.

It is the first time since 2000 that he has not won a title in the first three months of the year.

Fish is the lowest-ranked player to beat Federer since then number 101, Richard Gasquet, beat the world number one at Monte Carlo in 2005.

The American had never beaten Federer in five previous meetings, but he completely outplayed the Swiss and won in just over an hour.

He won the opening three games and had a break point for 4-0 as he dominated the first set, before breaking at the start of the second.

A Federer comeback seemed certain but there was nothing there, and although he saved two match points at 5-1 down he could not deny Fish an incredible win.

Federer revealed last week that he was diagnosed with mononucleosis at the start of the year but claimed to be getting back to full fitness in Indian Wells.

In the first semi, Nadal could not match last year's final win over Djokovic.

The Spaniard took a 6-2 head-to-head record into the match and grabbed an early break, but Djokovic levelled at 2-2 and broke again for 5-3 with a net cord, serving out the set with an ace.

Nadal was struggling on serve and he lost the last four games as Djokovic dominated.

(BBC)

I guess I was wrong :22: :22:

Federer has been struggling this year, is it just a blip? Or are we witnessing the end of the Federer domination?

Geordie Ahmed said:
I guess I was wrong :22: :22:

Federer has been struggling this year, is it just a blip? Or are we witnessing the end of the Federer domination?

Don't think he is quite right at the moment health wise.

Federer revealed last week that he was diagnosed with mononucleosis at the start of the year but claimed to be getting back to full fitness in Indian Wells.

Federer is definitely not moving around the court as elegantly as he normally does.

Uzi said:
Federer is definitely not moving around the court as elegantly as he normally does.

Thats true - I reckon maybe a break from Tennis might do him some good

This is Federer's worst start to a year since 2000.

Novak seems like the real deal, i think he can win the French as well.

Its certainly not going well for Federer whilst Djokovic is flying high at the moment.

The grand slams are certainly going to be interesting - Nadal should still have the French one. Methinks Federer is going to go Grand Slamless this year

Geordie Ahmed said:
Its certainly not going well for Federer whilst Djokovic is flying high at the moment.

The grand slams are certainly going to be interesting - Nadal should still have the French one. Methinks Federer is going to go Grand Slamless this year
wow- thats a big statement there GA. I will give you 5 bucks if that happens :19:

PlanetPakistan said:
wow- thats a big statement there GA. I will give you 5 bucks if that happens :19:

5 bucks, with the dollar being so weak thats hardly anything BUT feel free to bookmark this thread :19:

the next major fixture is boring French open. Bring on Wimbledon for exciting tennis

12thMan said:
the next major fixture is boring French open. Bring on Wimbledon for exciting tennis

I dont think the French Open is boring, actually imo none of the Grand Slams are boring BUT I agree that Wimbledon is probably the most exciting.

Tho it will be interesting to see how crazy the British Press goes over Andy Murray now that Henman has gone

Djokovic suffers shock Miami loss

from bbc.co.uk/sport

Novak Djokovic suffered a shock defeat by South African qualifier Kevin Anderson at the Sony Ericsson Open.

Defending champion Djokovic arrived in Miami as the form player having won in Indian Wells last week but lost 7-6 (7-1) 3-6 6-4 to the world number 122.

The third seed, who had a first-round bye, was broken twice in the deciding set and Anderson served out to win.

In other matches, Rafael Nadal, Justine Henin, Serena Williams and Svetlana Kuznetsova all made progress.

Djokovic, 20 has been the star of the ATP Tour so far in 2008, having won his first Grand Slam title in Australia and added the Masters Series crown in Indian Wells.

In contrast, the 6ft 7in Anderson only turned professional last year despite being 21, although he reached the final in Las Vegas earlier this year.

Anderson was roared on by plenty of supporters in the crowd having come through the American college system.

The South African took the first set by dominating the tie-break but Djokovic looked set to get out of trouble when he levelled in the second and went 2-0 up in the decider.

But the Serb appeared rattled by a time violation warning while preparing to serve at deuce, lost 13 points in a row and found himself a break down.

"Obviously the time violation and a lot of different things affected my service game," said Djokovic.

"I didn't focus myself in that moment. But, you know, that's OK. It's all part of the game."

Anderson took full advantage, converting his third match point for a sensational victory.

"I kept telling myself, 'I can do this. I've just got to believe in myself,'" said Anderson.

"Even still, just knowing what he's done and what a great player he is, to have beaten him is a tremendous experience for me."

Djokovic immediately looked on the bright side of the unexpectedly long break he now has.

"The good thing about this loss is that I can get a bit of a longer period of preparation and vacation as well," he said.

That is a shock BUT I do think this will become more and more common in Tennis - the mens game is becoming really competitive right now

Not surprised at all. Its very very hard to do well in these back to back tournaments, if i am not mistaken Djokovic has now played 6 matches in 7 days.

What has happened to Roger Federer?! He lost to Andy Roddick....Andy Roddick! Federer was 15-1 going into the match. How has he lost so much form this year?!

Showman said:
What has happened to Roger Federer?! He lost to Andy Roddick....Andy Roddick! Federer was 15-1 going into the match. How has he lost so much form this year?!

He really is struggling this year - He was suffering from illness at the start of the year, maybe he is struggling to get into some sort of a rythm at the moment

Andy's comment says it all.
He has never lost to anyone 12 in a row. ;)

As for the 5 US dollars, me think that is still good. Will let any one have a gallon of gas to get to the nearest Baskin Robbins and a cone icecream. :19:

I am enjoying Fed's down fall.

This is very strange! I didn't expect Roger to lose again.

In other news Nadal is already in the final where he will face either Novak or Andy.

BD-fan said:
Andy's comment says it all.
He has never lost to anyone 12 in a row. ;)

As for the 5 US dollars, me think that is still good. Will let any one have a gallon of gas to get to the nearest Baskin Robbins and a cone icecream. :19:

I am enjoying Fed's down fall.
Me too.
Sampras's fall was hard to take as he was one of my favorite sportsmen but in Federer's case i am rooting for the underdogs :19:

PlanetPakistan said:
Me too.
Sampras's fall was hard to take as he was one of my favorite sportsmen but in Federer's case i am rooting for the underdogs :19:

even if it will cost you 5 bucks :p

PlanetPakistan said:
This is very strange! I didn't expect Roger to lose again.

In other news Nadal is already in the final where he will face either Novak or Andy.

you mean Nikolay, he beat Roddick in a stunning match, what a performance from Davydenko, absolutely brillant...

Pak_Pace said:
you mean Nikolay, he beat Roddick in a stunning match, what a performance from Davydenko, absolutely brillant...

It was a class win for him - I hope he can beat Nadal

Geordie Ahmed said:
It was a class win for him - I hope he can beat Nadal

me too, its a great opportunity for him...the way he is serving I can see him beating Nadal...

Davydenko hammers Nadal in Miami

from bbc.co.uk/sport

Russia's Nikolay Davydenko claimed the second Masters Series title of his career with victory over Rafael Nadal at the Sony Ericsson Open in Florida.

The 26-year-old went into the match as the underdog but dominated both on serve and return as he won 6-4 6-2.

Davydenko broke twice in each set to win in one hour 30 minutes, adding the title to his 2006 Paris Masters crown.

"Second time to win Masters Series, it's like for me something important," said Davydenko.

"Fighting every match, you know, beat Nadal in the final, first time in my career.

"My tennis was so good today. I think it's the best tennis of the hard-court season.

"Here Nadal was favourite, and also in semi-final Roddick was the favorite. Just to beat two guys in two sets is like amazing for me."

Nadal said: "I think he played at a good level. He played a good match, but I didn't play well today.

"So when you don't play at 100% at this level against top players, it's tough to win, especially on a hard surface. So I congratulate him more because he played better than me.

"He played more aggressive, with more good feelings, forehand, backhand volley, drop shot."

Nadal had been looking to win his first tournament since Stuttgart last July.

That fact had clearly been a motivation all week for Nadal, who had looked supremely focused on his way through the draw.

And having won both previous encounters between the pair, the world number two went into the match as the favourite.

But after they swapped early breaks, Davydenko went ahead again in game seven and confidently served out on his second set point.

Nadal, 21, was making more errors than usual as he faced one of the few players capable of matching his energy and consistency from the baseline.

Davydenko kept up the pressure with another break at the start of the second set, and when he extended that advantage to 4-1 it was all but over.

Nadal suffered a heartbreaking five-set defeat by Roger Federer in the final three years ago but the end came considerably quicker this time.

By the closing stages, Davydenko was totally dominant on serve and even coming into the net to finish off some points.

The world number four put Nadal out of his misery on the second match point for a win that solidifies his position among the game's elite.

"Maybe I feel more confident because I beat very good guys here," Davydenko added.

"And in the future I start coming and I play something maybe different, maybe much better, much faster.

"For me it's good I won here, and we'll see how good I can prepare for the clay-court season."

Three-time French Open champion Nadal was happy enough with his efforts as he prepares to get back to his favourite surface in the forthcoming European clay-court season.

"I played a very good tournament," he said. "I won against very good players.

"I played at my best level against Berdych, against Blake, against Mathieu. So for that reason I won against these top players.

"Today I didn't play my best. He played well and I lost."

Congrats to Davydenko - he did well to win this tournament.

Murray drops out of world top 20

from bbc.cou.k/sport

Andy Murray has slipped out of the world's top 20 for the first time since August 2006 after his second-round defeat at the Sony Ericsson Open.

The British number one's loss to Mario Ancic in Miami means he drops nine places to 22nd in the world rankings.

However, the 20-year-old is ranked in eighth place in the ATP Race, which is based on his performances in 2008.

Murray has two ATP tournaments to his name this year, winning the Qatar Open and Open 13 in Marseille.

The Scot will be back in action on 14 April for his first clay-court appearance of the season in Valencia.

Murray has enlisted the help of two-time French Open finalist Alex Corretja to improve his all-round game on the slower surface.

Spain's Rafael Nadal closed the gap on world number one Roger Federer after reaching the final in Miami, where he lost to Russia's Nikolay Davydenko.

Federer - who has yet to win a tour title this year - fell at the quarter-finals in Florida, losing out to Andy Roddick.

Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic maintained his place at the top of the Race rankings despite a shock first-round defeat to Kevin Anderson.

Nadal slams clay-court calendar

from bbc.co.uk.sport

Rafael Nadal has criticised the changes to the ATP Tour calendar with this year's three clay-court Masters Series events crammed into four weeks.

The usual two-week gap between Monte Carlo and Rome has been cut in half this season.

That means Spain's Nadal, the world's outstanding clay-court player, will now compete at Monte Carlo, Rome, Barcelona and Hamburg in successive weeks.

Nadal said: "It's an outrageous way to treat European and clay-court players."

The Spaniard added: The truth is the ATP is making our lives almost impossible," said Nadal.

"Moving Miami and Indian Wells back because of college basketball is something I understand because it's very important to them but this is a world tour.

"We only have three Masters Series events and we have to play them with an important tournament like Barcelona all running together.

"I'm tired of complaining about this but the people in charge of this don't share my opinion and I have to respect that."

Last June Nadal becomes the first man since Bjorn Borg in 1980 to win three successive titles at the French Open on the clay courts at Roland Garros.

Nadal not a happy bunny and rightly so - that is a lot of tennis to play in a short amount of time

PlanetPakistan said:
Me too.
Federer has been my favourite for a long time now, before he became World #1. Its hard to see him so out of form. But hes still young and he'll be back, just a rough patch I think.

And Sampras' Grand Slam record is going to be toast soon. :p

Federer beats injured Davydenko

from bbc.co.uk/sport

Roger Federer won his first title of the year after his opponent in the Estoril Open final, Nikolay Davydenko, was forced to retire with a leg injury.

The world number one survived a set point in the first set before winning it, and was a break down in the second.

When Davydenko pulled out after 79 minutes, Federer led 7-6 (7-5) 1-2.

Federer, who suffered glandular fever before the Australian Open, was tested by Davydenko but the Russian's injury helped him make it 12 wins and no losses against the world number four.

Davydenko said afterwards: "When I ran to the left, I felt pain. I tried to fight but I knew there was not much that I could do."

Federer commented: "It's not the way you want to win a tournament but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

"It's great to win a title again and to straight away win my first clay-court tournament of the season gives me great confidence going into Monte Carlo.

"These were the most difficult [conditions] of the week.

"It was cold as well as windy. This is not the best way to win a match and I'm sorry for Nikolay. But sometimes these things happen."

After a difficult hardcourt campaign, Federer had employed the services of Spanish coach Jose Higueras for the clay-court season.

He dropped sets against low-ranked players in two previous rounds during the week, and after failing to convert five break-points in the first set of the final, had to dig deep to avoid losing it.

Davydenko, who began the day on a run of 11 straight wins, was building some momentum when breaking Federer early in the second set, before his untimely withdrawal.

Federer now travels to the Monte Carlo Masters as he prepares for his bid to win the French Open in May, the only Grand Slam title that has eluded him.

Davydenko said he expected to recover in time to play in Monte Carlo as well, with the event starting on Monday.

Congrats to Federer - its been a while since he has won a title so im sure he is just glad he has finally won even tho it wasnt under the best of circumstances

'Worst player' earns maiden win

from bbc.co.uk/sport

A British tennis player dubbed the worst player in the world has finally won a match at the 55th attempt and after three years of trying.

Robert Dee, 21, recorded his landmark victory in the qualifying section of a futures event in Spain.

Dee beat Arzhang Derakhshani 6-4 6-3 in the first round of qualifying for the Reus tournament, near Barcelona.

However, his moment in the sun did not last long - he promptly lost 6-3 6-1 to Artur Romanowski in the second round.

The victory means he remains joint holder of the record for the longest losing streak in the history of the pro game with Diego Beltranena of Guatemala.

Beltranena also lost 54 matches in a row between 1997 and 2005, but he managed to win a set during one of his defeats.

Until he beat Derakhshani, Dee had lost 108 straight sets.

Dee, who has a career-best world ranking of 1466, started his odyssey in April 2005 in Mexico.

He has been trying to win in tournaments at the very lowest level of the professional game in locations as diverse as Rwanda, Iran and Colombia.

Congrats to him and fair play for not giving up - to lose 108 sets on the trot is just crazy BUT he could have easily given up

Superb Djokovic eases past Murray

from bbc.co.uk/sport

Andy Murray fell to a 6-0 6-4 defeat at the hands of world number three Novak Djokovic at the Monte Carlo Masters.

Djokovic quickly seized the upper hand, breaking the British number one in his lengthy first service game and then twice more to race to the opening set.

Murray found his rhythm in the second set and he broke Djokovic at 2-1 but the Serbian broke straight back.

The Scot stayed with Djokovic only to tamely hand his old rival the break - and the match - in the 10th game.

"It was a great win for me, but I didn't expect such an easy first set," Djokovic said.

"At the start of the match we had a really, really long game - the second of the match - and I think it was the turning point in that set.

"I was trying to stay focused and stay calm and be aggressive because Andy is a very talented player and can come back at any time."

Djokovic hardly gave Murray a chance in his adopted hometown of Monte Carlo.

He was in stunning form and was able to dictate the early pace of the match, forcing Murray back behind the baseline.

The Scottish 14th seed was pushed to six deuces in his opening service game by Djokovic's huge groundstrokes and he eventually succumbed, handing the Australian Open champion the early break.

Djokovic relentlessly raced on, breaking Murray, who could not capitalise on two break points in the fifth game and lost the first set in 39 minutes.

Murray, who struggles to find his best form on clay, appeared to have settled into the slower surface's demands in the second set.

And a lack of concentration by his fellow 20-year-old saw Murray take advantage of Djokovic's errors and break at 2-1.

But the world number three roused himself and broke straight back as Murray slung a drop shot into the net.

Murray gritted his teeth and fought back from 0-40 down at 3-3 to stay with his former junior rival, but his resistance faltered at the last.

Successive unforced errors let Djokovic in and he clinched the decisive break and the match to move into the quarter-finals, where he will face unseeded American Sam Querrey, who saw off French seventh seed Richard Gasquet 2-6 6-4 6-3.

Asked after the match if Murray could improve his game on clay, Djokovic said: "He needs to be more aggressive.

"To start working with Alex Corretja before the clay season is a good move. You can see that Andy is trying to mix it up and change the pace.

"I'm not 100% on clay, I still feel best on the hard courts, but I have high goals and intentions in the major tournaments on clay."

Murray got blazed big time

Federer & Nadal reach last eight

from bbc.co.uk/sport

Top seed Roger Federer and defending champion Rafael Nadal moved into the quarter-finals of the Monte Carlo Open with comfortable straight sets wins.

After struggling to overcome Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo in his previous match, Federer had a far easier time of it in beating France's Gael Monfils 6-3-6-4.

He broke serve three times as Monfils was guilty of too many unforced errors.

Three-time champion Nadal was even more convincing as he saw off Spanish compatriot Juan Carlos Ferrero 6-4 6-1.

Nadal is searching for a fourth straight title in Monaco and his first since winning in Stuttgart last July.

He and Ferrero played an intense first set but Nadal made the decisive break and though they swapped breaks in the second, Nadal never look troubled.

The world number two faces fellow countryman David Ferrer next.

Ferrer, the world number five, beat Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia 6-4 6-0, breaking serve six times to wrap up the one-sided match in just 67 minutes.

Russian Igor Andreev booked his place in the quarter-finals, defeating Nicolas Almagro 7-5 4-6 6-4.

Though not at his best, Federer had enough consistency to overcome Monfils.

He was broken in the third game but hit back to level at 2-2, breaking serve again to establish a 5-3 lead.

Federer broke his opponent in the third game of the second set and was leading 4-2 when Monfils saved three break points.

The world number one set up match point with a perfectly weighted drop shot that left Monfils stranded.

He won on his second match point with a service winner that curled away from the Frenchman.

My forehand worked well," Federer said.

"I was just happy, after yesterday, [his struggle against Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo] playing so well. Today was fine again. It's good I reacted so well after yesterday's tough match."

Federer will now play sixth seed David Nalbandian.

Back