The Tennis Thread

Emma Raducanu links up with former coach Nick Cavaday ahead of Australian Open​

Emma Raducanu is back working with former coach Nick Cavaday ahead of next week's Australian Open.

The pair have reunited after time together during Raducanu's junior days, with the 21-year-old now preparing for her first Grand Slam in a year.

While the lifespan of a coach for Raducanu has been notably short - her split from Sebastian Sachs last year left her searching for a sixth coach in two years - it is understood Cavaday and Raducanu are keen to work together going forward after the Australian Open.

Raducanu, the 2021 US Open champion, was injured for most of 2023 after ankle and wrist surgeries but made her competitive return after eight months in Auckland last week, beating Elena-Gabriela Ruse before losing to Elina Svitolina.

Cavaday was back on court with Raducanu before Christmas at the National Tennis Centre and has only just joined up with her in Melbourne ahead of the opening Slam of the year, which starts on January 14.

Raducanu was promoted from qualifying to the main draw of the Australian Open after the withdrawal of America's Lauren Davis due to a shoulder injury.

Raducanu is set to play against Naomi Osaka - who has made her own return after becoming a mum - on Tuesday in a charity match in Melbourne.

Source: SKY

They are likely to do well together. 2024 can be the year where we once again see the best of Emma.

Men’s singles champions this century at the Australian Open ahead of the tournament on Sunday:

2023 - Novak Djokovic (SRB)

2022 - Rafael Nadal (ESP)

2021 - Novak Djokovic (SRB)

2020 - Novak Djokovic (SRB)

2019 - Novak Djokovic (SRB)

2018 - Roger Federer (SUI)

2017 - Roger Federer (SUI)

2016 - Novak Djokovic (SRB)

2015 - Novak Djokovic (SRB)

2014 - Stan Wawrinka (SUI)

2013 - Novak Djokovic (SRB)

2012 - Novak Djokovic (SRB)

2011 - Novak Djokovic (SRB)

2010 - Roger Federer (SUI)

2009 - Rafael Nadal (ESP)

2008 - Novak Djokovic (SRB)

2007 - Roger Federer (SUI)

2006 - Roger Federer (SUI)

2005 - Marat Safin (RUS)

2004 - Roger Federer (SUI)

2003 - Andre Agassi (USA)

2002 - Thomas Johansson (SWE)

2001 - Andre Agassi (USA)

2000 - Andre Agassi (USA)

Who will be the winner this year in your opinion...

Adelaide International: Britain's Dan Evans wins on return from injury

British number two Dan Evans impressed on his return from injury by beating Australian Rinky Hijikata in straight sets at the Adelaide International.

Competing for the first time since tearing his calf at the Vienna Open in October, he won 6-3 6-4 to set up a last-16 match against Alexander Bublik.

At the Australian Open, Britons Billy Harris and Ryan Peniston progressed to the second qualifying round.

But Lily Miyazaki was beaten on the first day of action in Melbourne.

Evans, 33, made a fast start under the Centre Court lights in Adelaide, forcing three break points in Hijikata's opening service game before breaking to 15 for a 3-1 lead.

The fleet-footed world number 40 produced several moments of brilliance and, although unable to make the most of five more break points two games later, he was untroubled in serving out a dominant first set.

Hijikata provided sterner resistance in the second but Evans took full advantage when the 22-year-old wildcard's level dropped in the ninth game - allowing him to serve out a satisfying victory.

"I was a little tired - it's my first match of the year - and it was important to keep focused," said Evans, who reached a career-high rank of 21 after winning the biggest title of his career at the Citi Open in Washington last August.

"It was a very good match to be part of and the crowd were very fair as well."

On his recovery from injury, he added: "It was challenging to get injured at the end of last year. It took a while to heal and I'm still looking after it. I'm still a little nervous but it feels all right."

BBC

Emma Raducanu vs Naomi Osaka charity match ahead of Australian Open cancelled​

The charity match scheduled between Emma Raducanu and Naomi Osaka in Melbourne ahead of the Australian Open has been cancelled.

Great Britain's Raducanu and former World No 1 Osaka were due to face each other at Rod Laver Arena on Tuesday, prior to the first Grand Slam event of the year getting underway on Sunday, January 16.

Raducanu reportedly pulled out after experiencing "soreness" following a two-hour practice session on Monday.

Osaka reportedly withdrew from the match on Monday night, with Donna Vekic initially announced as her replacement but organisers have now confirmed the match will not take place.

Osaka returned at the Brisbane International having not played since withdrawing from the Pan Pacific Trophy with a knee injury in September 2022. She became a mother for the first time in July.

Raducanu, the 2021 US Open champion, was injured for most of 2023 after ankle and wrist surgeries but made her competitive return after eight months in Auckland last week.

Both players will not play another match before the first round of the Australian Open.

Source: SKY

I think it is a wise decision by both players ahead of a really big tournament. Expecting both players to do well in the upcoming Australian Open.

As expected, Djokovic and Swiatek get No. 1 seedings ahead of the Australian Open

The men’s seedings mirror the ATP rankings as of Wednesday from Nos. 1-32, with 24-time major winner Djokovic followed by Wimbledon champion Carlos Alcaraz, the only player to beat him a Grand Slam event in 2023.

The women’s seedings followed the WTA rankings from Nos. 1-8, then Barbora Krejcikova is promoted to No. 9 at Melbourne Park because of the injury enforced absence of her fellow Czech Karolina Muchova, the French Open finalist last year.

Muchova hasn’t played since losing to eventual champion Coco Gauff in the U.S. Open semifinals last September.

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova is pregnant and skipping the year’s first major and last year’s U.S. Open semifinalist Madison Keys has an injured shoulder, taking the players ranked 17th and 18th out of the equation for Australia.

The seedings mean that players in the top 32 avoid each other in the early rounds when the brackets are determined for the major tournaments. The top two seeded players cannot meet before the final.

Source: Washington Post

Not the cleanest of performance's, but Rybakina advances to the quarter-finals in Adelaide Tennis

20240110_171421.jpg

ATP and WTA Tours introduce rules to prevent late finishes

New rules have been introduced which should prevent matches running after 11pm on both the ATP and WTA Tours.

The tours have announced no more than five matches per day should be scheduled on each court.

It is an attempt to reduce persistent late finishes, which the tours say "negatively impact players and fans".

In February 2022 in Acapulco, Germany's Alexander Zverev beat Jenson Brooksby of the US at 4:55am in the latest finish to a professional match.

Matches regularly begin after midnight, so it is hoped fewer matches will reduce the chance of a late finish.

However, matches will be allowed to go on court after 11pm if approved by the tournament supervisor. And tournaments will be able to request waivers based on the weather conditions or local cultural traditions "in exceptional circumstances".

The tours have also recommended night sessions should begin no later than 7.30, and ideally an hour earlier.

The rules will be trialled throughout 2024, with a further review to follow at the end of the year.

The Grand Slams have their own rules and, in an attempt to avoid a repeat of Andy Murray's 4:05am finish against Thanasi Kokkinakis last January, the Australian Open has altered its schedule this year.

The night session will start at 7pm but there will only be two matches played on the main show courts in the afternoon to try to enable the night session to start on time.

Late-night finishes have long come under criticism by players and Murray said the late finish was a "farce" after the five-hour-45-minute match.

World number three Jessica Pegula, who is on the WTA players' council, has said it is "ridiculous to be asking people to be there at that time", including fans, media and ball kids.

Wimbledon is the only Grand Slam with a curfew and matches are cut off at 11pm.

BBC

Emma Raducanu will play American Shelby Rogers when she makes her Grand Slam return at the Australian Open following an eight-month injury lay-off.

The 21-year-old Briton, who had wrist and ankle surgeries last May, could play British number one Katie Boulter in the Melbourne third round.

Boulter starts against China's Yuan Yue, with 12th seed Zheng Qinwen looming in the second round.

Five-time finalist Andy Murray plays 30th seed Tomas Martin Etcheverry.

The Australian Open, which is the first Grand Slam event of the 2024 season, starts at Melbourne Park on Sunday.

The tournament has been extended to 15 days, in a move which organisers say will alleviate late-night finishes, and culminates with the finals weekend on 27-28 January.

Raducanu starts with US Open rematch
Former British number one Raducanu made her competitive comeback at the Auckland Classic last week and is set to return to Grand Slam action in a draw which has special significance.

In the extraordinary US Open title triumph which shocked the world in 2021, Raducanu won 11 games in a row to beat Rogers and reach the quarter-finals in New York.

After her lengthy absence, Raducanu is playing at Melbourne Park under an injury-protected ranking of 103rd in the world.

Rogers, also playing under an injury-protected ranking, had been a fixture inside the top 50 before missing the second half of last season with an abdominal issue.

The winner will play China's Wang Yafan or Romanian 22nd seed Sorana Cirstea in the second round.

Raducanu and 57th-ranked Boulter, who is aiming to build on a career-best season in 2023, are among three Britons with direct entry to the women's singles.

Jodie Burrage is making her debut in the Australian Open main draw and takes on German world number 81 Tamara Korspatsch.

Who are the other Britons playing?

Murray, 36, was the only British player to land a seeded opponent when the draw was made at Melbourne Park on Thursday.

The world number 44, who said in a recent interview with BBC Sport this could be his last year before retirement, is likely to face Novak Djokovic if he reaches the third round.

Cameron Norrie is Britain's highest ranked player and seeded 19th. He faces Peru's Juan Pablo Varillas in a part of the draw which appears quite favourable.

Dan Evans continues his return after a calf injury with a match against Italy's world number 46 Lorenzo Sonego and could face second seed Carlos Alcaraz in the next round.

Jack Draper is aiming to build on an encouraging end to the 2023 season and will face American Marcos Giron, who is ranked 60th and never been past the first round in Melbourne.

Two Britons - Francesca Jones and Oliver Crawford, an American-born player who recently switched allegiance - could yet join them in the main draw by coming through qualifying.

What other notable draws were there?

Defending champion Djokovic, who is aiming for a record-extending 11th men's singles title and a 25th major overall, starts against a qualifier or lucky loser.

Spain's Alcaraz, who missed last year's event with a hamstring injury, will face French veteran Richard Gasquet in the first round.

In a women's draw stacked with notable match-ups, top seed Iga Swiatek starts against 2020 champion Sofia Kenin.

If Swiatek comes through that test, she will face two-time champion Angelique Kerber - who is making a comeback after giving birth last year - or 2022 runner-up Danielle Collins in the second round.

Japan's Naomi Osaka has also returned from maternity leave and landed French 16th seed Caroline Garcia, while Kazakhstan's third seed Elena Rybakina takes on former world number one Karolina Pliskova.

Defending champion Aryna Sabalenka starts against a qualifier, with US Open winner Coco Gauff - who could meet the Belarusian in the semi-finals - facing Slovakia's Anna Karolina Schmiedlova.

Elsewhere in the men's draw, last year's runner-up Stefanos Tsitsipas has been handed a tough task against injury-hit former semi-finalist Matteo Berrettini.

Third seed Daniil Medvedev, drawn in the same half as Alcaraz, starts against a qualifier, while Australian number one Alex de Minaur plays 2016 Wimbledon runner-up Milos Raonic.

Source: BBC Sport

Britain's Jack Draper continued his encouraging Australian Open build-up by beating top seed Tommy Paul to reach the Adelaide International semi-finals.

His 6-1 6-4 win over American Paul set up a meeting with Kazakh Alexander Bublik for a place in the final.

There was also a morale-boosting victory for Andy Murray, who beat Dominic Thiem in an exhibition match for his first victory of 2024.

The 6-4 6-2 win comes before the year's opening Grand Slam starts on Sunday.

BBC

Jack Draper beats Alexander Bublik to reach Adelaide International final

Britain's Jack Draper is into the final of the Adelaide International after beating eighth seed Alexander Bublik.

The 22-year-old continued his promising Australian Open build-up with a 7-6 (7-2) 6-4 win over the Kazakh.

Draper will face Czech Jiri Lehecka in his second successive ATP final, having ended 2023 as runner-up to Adrian Mannarino at the Sofia Open.

Also on Friday, Britain's Oliver Crawford was beaten in the final round of qualifying for the Australian Open.

The 24-year-old, bidding to reach the main draw of a major for the first time, fell to a 6-4 6-4 defeat by Czech Vit Kopriva.

Crawford, who was born in South Carolina to two parents from Birmingham, switched his nationality from the United States last week.

He was the only Briton to reach the final round of qualifying and his defeat means there will be seven British singles players at the first Grand Slam of 2024 - Draper, Andy Murray, Emma Raducanu, Cameron Norrie, Katie Boulter, Dan Evans and Jodie Burrage.

BBC

Australian Open 2024: Coco Gauff wants to win at least 10 Grand Slam titles

US Open champion Coco Gauff says she wants to win at least 10 Grand Slam titles.

She beat Aryna Sabalenka in the final in September to claim her first major title.

Last week the 19-year-old American defended her Auckland Classic title in preparation for the Australian Open, which begins on Sunday.

Asked if she had a number of Grand Slams in mind, Gauff said it would be "cool" to get to "double digits".

"I don't know if it will happen, but that's a high goal," she said.

"Setting my goals high pushes me beyond what I think I can do."

Only seven women have won 10 or more Grand Slam singles titles.

Margaret Court holds the record with 24, while Venus Williams' tally of seven is the highest among current players.

World number four Gauff, who has won 29 of her past 33 matches, is among the favourites to win the Australian Open.

"During the off-season we did celebrate a little bit just because after the US Open everything was so fast," said Gauff, who faces Slovakia's Anna Karolina Schmiedlova in the first round in Melbourne on Monday.

"It really feels like so long ago. Some players' goal is to win a Grand Slam. Once they reach that, it's kind of 'what's next?'

"I always knew I wanted to win multiple.

"The only thing I will try to remember from [the US Open] is just the way that I won. It wasn't my best tennis. It was more the mental fire."

In the US Open final Gauff lost the opening set to defending Australian Open champion Sabalenka before fighting back to win 2-6 6-3 6-2.

Australian Open 2024: Jodie Burrage, Novak Djokovic & Aryna Sabalenka play on day one​

Jodie Burrage leads British interest at the Australian Open when she makes her main-draw debut in Melbourne on the opening day of the 2024 event.

The British number two, ranked 102nd in the world, starts against Germany's Tamara Korpatsch at 13:00 local time (02:00 GMT) on Sunday.

Burrage is the only Briton in action on the tournament's first Sunday start.

Reigning singles champions Novak Djokovic and Aryna Sabalenka top the night session from 19:00 (08:00 GMT).

Serbia's Djokovic, who is going for a record-extending 11th Australian Open men's singles title, plays Croatian teenager Dino Prizmic, before Belarus' Sabalenka also faces an 18-year-old qualifier in the shape of Germany's Ella Seidel.

The tournament, which is the opening Grand Slam of the season, has been extended to 15 days this year and features first-round matches stretched over Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

Organisers claim the move was implemented in a bid to alleviate late-night finishes but, as Britain's Andy Murray pointed out, is unlikely to make a great difference to that ongoing issue in reality.

Source: BBC

Alcaraz motivated to topple Australian Open king Djokovic

Alcaraz says the challenge of toppling 10-time champion Novak Djokovic at the Australian Open gives him "extra motivation" as he aims to end the Serbian's long reign in Melbourne.

The Spanish world number two missed the Grand Slam last year with a leg injury but is seeded to meet Djokovic in the final in Melbourne.

The pair have met five times –- all in semi-finals or finals -– with the veteran leading 3-2.

Djokovic, 36, is unbeaten at the year's opening major since 2018 but Alcaraz, who came out on top in a thrilling Wimbledon final last year, said that only increased his desire to win.

"It's an extra motivation for me," the two-time Grand Slam champion said on Saturday. "I'm an ambitious guy.

"I always want to play against the best players in the world to see what my level is. Obviously it's a good test, playing against him in the places or in the tournament that he's almost unbeaten.

"Yeah, I am looking to reach the final and hopefully playing a final against him. It would be great, obviously."

Alcaraz is aiming to become just the fourth man to win three majors before turning 21 after Rafael Nadal, Bjorn Borg and Mats Wilander.

The 20-year-old chose not play a warm-up tournament before the Australian Open, which starts on Sunday, saying he had to recharge his body and mind.

"We discussed with my team, as well, that we need almost four, five weeks of pre-season to prepare well this season, for the first Grand Slam of the year," he said.

"We have no time if I wanted to play a tournament before the Australian Open. In the end we preferred to come here to the Australian Open, straight to a Grand Slam. I think I'm a guy who doesn't need so much competition before a big tournament."

The Spaniard is in Melbourne without his coach Juan Carlos Ferrero, who has had knee surgery. Instead he will be coached by Samuel Lopez, who worked with former world number one Ferrero during his playing career.

Source : AFP

It should be an easy win for Novak in the first round. It seems very unlikely that he will lose more than a couple of sets before the semi-final.

Australian Open 2024 results: Jodie Burrage loses to Tamara Korpatsch on day one

British number two Jodie Burrage says she needs to improve her self-belief after letting a one-set lead slip on her Australian Open main-draw debut.

Burrage, 24, was beaten 2-6 6-3 6-0 by Germany's Tamara Korpatsch on the tournament's historic Sunday start.

The Briton made a confident start but faded badly as Korpatsch took control and won nine of the final 10 games.

"I've got to do some work and trying to back myself and believe a little bit more," said Burrage, who is ranked 102.

"You could see it today. It was just absolutely panic stations at some point."

On trying to show more self-belief at the highest level, Burrage added: "I think ultimately that's what I struggle with a lot. If I'm honest, I've struggled with that my whole career.

"In a match like today when someone just stops missing and puts balls in court, it's not easy to have the confidence to hit through them.

"I need to learn how to back myself on the court because at the moment I don't in those situations."

Burrage was the first of seven Britons playing in the singles, with the rest in action on Monday or Tuesday as the first round is now spread over three days.

World number one Novak Djokovic and defending women's champion Aryna Sabalenka are in action later on Sunday.

Receiving direct entry into the main draw in Melbourne for the first time was indicative of Burrage's improved form over the past year.

But the manner in which the 24-year-old unravelled against Korpatsch illustrated the work she needs to do to achieve this season's goal of cementing a place in the world's top 100.

The afternoon had started well for Burrage. Returning well and using her power from the baseline to push her opponent deep, she earned two break points in third game and took the first when Korpatsch hit long.

The Briton took a second opportunity to move 4-1 ahead, putting away a crosscourt forehand winner which demonstrated her growing confidence, and served out to take the opening set in 28 minutes.

Korpatsch, who beat Burrage twice at the end of last season, went for a six-minute bathroom break in an effort to regroup.

It seemed to work as the world number 81 discovered a higher level in the second set.

Korpatsch continued to make the points longer, drawing more errors out of Burrage from the baseline and the increased pressure led to Briton producing back-to-back double faults to gift her opponent a 4-2 lead.

Burrage survived a set point as she served her way out of trouble for 5-3 and threatened to break back in the ninth game before Korpatsch got over the line to level.

With momentum against her, Burrage looked increasingly edgy and it showed as her returning game continued to break down in the decider.

Another double fault helped Korpatsch move 3-0 ahead, while three unforced errors from the baseline handed over a triple break to the German.

Burrage's annoyance was illustrated when she whacked a ball out of the court, earning her a warning from the umpire, with Korpatsch wrapping up victory with a confident hold.

While questioning why Korpatsch's bathroom break took so long, Burrage said it did not disrupt her.

"I think she just regrouped herself. I don't think she played too well in the first set, but I also obviously managed to dominate," she added.

"I kind of lost my way in the second set and didn't enjoy playing in the [windy] conditions as they picked up a little bit.

"I found it tough to serve in that wind and when it gets windy, it's not as easy to play. That's just what I need to learn to do.

"I need to learn to have a bit of a plan B because there was no plan B there today."

It is the first Sunday start at the Australian Open, which followed the lead of the French Open by extending to a 15-day tournament.

Tennis lovers have taken full advantage of the early start as 58,623 fans streamed through the gates at Melbourne Park.

With a reduced schedule as the first-round matches are stretched over three days, the site felt extremely busy and spectators queued to get on to courts..

Organisers say the historic move was implemented in a bid to alleviate late-night finishes, which have been a problem over the years.

But, as Britain's Andy Murray also pointed out, it is unlikely to make a great difference to that ongoing issue.

The move does, though, bring in extra revenue.

Tennis Australia, which puts on the event, is continuing its recovery from losses caused by Covid-hit tournaments. The additional income from the extra day is estimated at 10m Australian dollars (£5m).

A strong financial position will also help the Australian swing protect its place in the annual calendar, amid reports of Saudi Arabia eyeing potential opportunities to hold tournaments.

Australian Open 2024 results: Novak Djokovic beats qualifier Dino Prizmic in his longest first-round match

Defending Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic said it was like "playing myself in the mirror" after he came through the longest first-round Grand Slam match of his career against teenage qualifier Dino Prizmic.

Djokovic, chasing a record-extending 11th men's title in Melbourne, needed four hours and one minute to beat the 18-year-old 6-2 6-7 (5-7) 6-3 6-4.

Croat Prizmic, facing his childhood idol on his debut appearance at a Grand Slam, saved six match points before Djokovic, 36, secured victory.

"[He has] so much potential. He has everything that he needs and can still improve," world number one Djokovic said of his opponent, ranked 178th.

"The way he is mentally present on the court, I like it a lot. He never gives up.

"I felt like I was playing [against] myself in the mirror. He has no weaknesses, really."

Djokovic, who could achieve a record 25th Grand Slam singles title this month, later said he had felt "under the weather".

While the Serb will face Alexei Popyrin or Marc Polmans in the second round, Prizmic - crowned French Open boys' champion last year - has a bright future ahead on the evidence of his breakthrough performance on Rod Laver Arena.

Sunday's match surpassed Djokovic's previous longest in the first round of a major, which was a three-hour-57-minute encounter against Gael Monfils at the US Open in 2005.

Few could have anticipated the absorbing tussle which would develop after Djokovic took a straightforward first set.

But Prizmic hinted at what was to come when he broke Djokovic for the first time for a 3-1 lead in the second, before holding his nerve in the tie-break with his fourth set point.

That set up a rollercoaster third set, which Djokovic claimed by winning four successive games - but only after Prizmic had battled back with a double break from 2-0 down.

And even as the result began to appear a formality in the fourth set when Djokovic continued his run of games for a 4-0 lead, his teenage opponent refused to go quietly, breaking back before saving four match points in the ninth game to force the top seed to serve out victory.

"He deserves all the applause. He is an amazing player, he handled himself incredibly well on the court. This is his moment," Djokovic said.

"It could easily have been his match as well. He showed great mentality and resilience.

"I certainly want to be in his corner. So hopefully he will invite me, because he will make some big things in his career that's for sure."

Fifth seed Andrey Rublev was "completely panicking" but survived a comeback from world number 78 Thiago Seyboth Wild to edge a five-set thriller.

The 26-year-old Russian, who will aim to reach his first major semi-final in 2024, won 7-5 6-4 3-6 4-6 7-6 (10-6) to set up a second-round meeting with Japan's Taro Daniel or American Christopher Eubanks.

"I started to have emotions in the fifth set. I screamed a couple of times. I was complaining. So [in] the fifth set when I started to feel panic [it] was tougher to manage emotions," said Rublev.

Rublev has at times struggled to contain his emotions on court. Against Carlos Alcaraz at the ATP Finals in November he hit himself so hard with his racquet that he drew blood.

His compatriot and good friend Daniil Medvedev also lost to Brazilian Seyboth Wild in five sets at last year's French Open - a factor Rublev said added to the pressure he felt.

"Daniil, Daniil. Almost all the fifth set, every game at least one or two times, I was thinking about what happened to Daniil because [in] the fifth set I was inside completely panicking."

Elsewhere, former semi-finalist Matteo Berrettini withdrew before his first-round match against Stefanos Tsitsipas because of a foot injury, meaning the Greek seventh seed will instead play Belgian Zizou Bergs.

American 12th seed Taylor Fritz also had to come through a five-set opener, fighting back from two-sets-to-one down to beat Argentine Facundo Diaz Acosta 4-6 6-3 3-6 6-2 6-4.

Compatriot Frances Tiafoe, seeded 17th, also progressed by beating Croat Borna Coric 6-3 7-6 (9-7) 2-6 6-3.

Croatia's 2018 runner-up Marin Cilic lost 6-1 2-6 6-2 7-5 to Hungarian Fabian Marozsan.

The Australian Open has been extended to 15 days this year in an attempt by organisers to avoid late finishes - with this its first Sunday start.

BBC Sport

Australian Open 2024: Andy Murray plays Tomas Martin Etcheverry, Naomi Osaka makes Melbourne return

Andy Murray hopes to avoid another marathon match when he starts his latest Australian Open campaign against Argentina's Tomas Martin Etcheverry.

Five-time finalist Murray, 36, plays 30th seed Etcheverry at about 16:30 local time in Melbourne (05:30 GMT).

The pair played for over three hours in their two meetings last year, both of which were played across three sets.

"I made most of my matches quite physical last year. I don't know if it was necessarily him," Murray joked.

Britain's Murray tended to do things the hard way in 2023, particularly in the early part of the season when his first seven wins of the year went to deciding sets.

The first of those victories came at the Australian Open, where Murray beat Italy's Matteo Berrettini in almost five hours before recovering to clinch victory over Australia's Thanasi Kokkinakis in a match lasting almost six hours and finishing at 04:05 local time.

The seventh win of the run came against 24-year-old Etcheverry, with Murray coming through 6-7 (5-7) 6-1 6-4 victory at Indian Wells after three hours and 12 minutes.

The pair met again at Basel in October, where Murray lost 6-7 (5-7) 6-3 6-2 after another three-hour tussle.

"He has a game that can make the matches that way," world number 44 Murray said.

"Again, I know that last year when I wasn't serving well, you end up getting into lots more long rallies.

"Because of the way I return, I put quite a lot of returns back in play, you can end up getting into lots of long points when that's the case and matches will go on.

"Hopefully that's not the case on Monday."

Australian Open 2024 results: Daniil Medvedev through in Melbourne, Ben Shelton wins​

Russian third seed Daniil Medvedev survived a scare as he fought back from a set down before his opponent Terence Atmane quit in tears because of cramp in the Australian Open first round.

Qualifier Atmane won the opening set before Medvedev - runner-up in 2021 and 2022 - turned the match around.

Medvedev led 5-7 6-2 6-4 1-0 when the Frenchman was forced to retire.

"I've cramped like that many times. If he plays like this he can do big things," Medvedev, 27, said.

The conditions in Melbourne on the second day's play were hotter than they have been over the past week, with outside temperatures reaching 27C and increasing further in direct sunlight on court.

Atmane appeared to pull up with cramp in the third set and, after initially carrying on, decided he could not continue after being broken early in the fourth.

The 22-year-old looked close to tears when he shook hands with Medvedev at the net and then sobbed as he hid his head underneath his towel.

Clasping his hands together in a prayer sign, he gave a heartfelt thanks to the crowd for their well-wishes as he walked off.

"It was brutal conditions. What's brutal is it hasn't been hot for seven day here and now it is hot," said Medvedev.

"I regained the momentum and when I started feeling tough, he started cramping.

"I get tired physically, but I know the other guy will tire physically too and see if the other can handle it better."

Medvedev has said he is aiming to be more "mature" in his interactions with the crowds this year.

He called the Melbourne Park crowd "disrespectful following his 2022 final loss to Rafael Nadal, adding that "they probably have a low IQ", but last year admitted it was "not smart" to make those comments.

"This year I'm going to try to have a different mentality on all this, like games with the crowd," Medvedev said.

"In the way that on court some things can happen, try to love everyone and hopefully everyone can feel the same.

"Right now [it's] very important to feel good with myself, and like this I can feel good with everybody else.

"That's what I try to do. Let's see if I manage to do it."

Tsitsipas wins after 'astonishing' injury recovery
Greek seventh seed Stefanos Tsitsipas also came from behind to beat Belgian lucky loser Zizou Bergs 5-7 6-1 6-1 6-3.

Beaten by Novak Djokovic in the Melbourne final last year, Tsitsipas had been set to face Matteo Berrettini in the opening round but the Italian withdrew through injury on Sunday.

Tsitsipas, 25, had injury worries of his own after withdrawing from the ATP Finals in November with a back injury but says his recovery has been "quicker than any other player" that has suffered the same issue.

"My recovery has kind of been insane," he said after his win.

"It's something that tennis players are faced with at some period of their career. It's an injury that's more common than I initially thought.

"My recovery has been astonishing, in a way, because it's been quicker, in fact, than any other player."

Thiem and Wawrinka lose five-set rollercoasters
Former champion Stan Wawrinka and ex-finalist Dominic Thiem both lost in five sets as they search for their glittering form from the past.

Despite hitting the sort of blistering groundstrokes which helped the 30-year-old win the 2020 US Open, Austrian Thiem could not complete a comeback from two sets down, eventually succumbing to 27th seed Felix Auger-Aliassime 6-3 7-5 6-7 (5-7) 5-7 6-3.

At four hours and 59 minutes and finishing at 01:40 local time, it was the longest match of the Canadian's career. The 23-year-old is also looking to rediscover the level that took him to a career-high ranking of sixth in the world.

Meanwhile, three-time Grand Slam champion Wawrinka said he hoped this year would not be his last time at Melbourne Park after letting his lead slip to French 20th seed Adrian Mannarino, who came back to win 6-4 3-6 5-7 6-3 6-0 on Kia Arena.

"I'll see how the year goes. In general, I'm quite positive with where I am right now," the 38-year-old said.

"Even after the loss, there is some good opportunity for me to keep pushing, keep playing some good results and hopefully I can come back next year."

Elsewhere, 10th seed Alex de Minaur is into round two after Canadian former semi-finalist Milos Raonic retired in the third set on Rod Laver Arena while the Australian was leading 6-7 (6-8) 6-3 2-0.

On his main-draw debut, Italian qualifier Flavio Cobolli shocked 18th seed Nicolas Jarry by winning 6-4 3-6 6-3 2-6 7-5 on court 13.

American 21-year-old 16th seed Ben Shelton, who reached the US Open semi-finals last year, defeated Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut 6-2 7-6 (7-2) 7-5.

Compatriot Sebastian Korda, the 29th seed, won his opening match against Czech player Vit Kopriva 6-1 6-4 2-6 4-6 6-4.

Ninth seed Hubert Hurkacz of Poland won 7-6 (7-4) 6-4 6-2 against Australian qualifier Omar Jasika and France's two-time quarter-finalist Gael Monfils beat German Yannick Hanfmann 6-4 6-3 7-5.

Spain's 23rd seed Alejandro Davidovich Fokina progressed in straight sets against Frenchman Constant Lestienne, winning 6-4 6-4 7-6 (7-5).

Australian Open 2024 results: Casper Ruud, Holger Rune and Sumit Nagal win

Four months ago, India's Sumit Nagal had 900 euros (£775) in the bank but his balance was boosted by £95,000 with an Australian Open upset on Tuesday.

He beat Kazakh Alexander Bublik 6-4 6-2 7-6 (7-5) to become the first Indian man to beat a seeded player at a Grand Slam since Ramesh Krishnan defeated top seed Mats Wilander here in 1989.

He said he felt "emotional", adding: "It hasn't completely sunk in yet."

Meanwhile, second seed Carlos Alcaraz beat Richard Gasquet in straight sets.

There were also wins for fellow seeded players Casper Ruud, Holger Rune and Alexander Zverev.

Ruud thrives in Melbourne heat in time for 'fabric' chat

On the hottest day of this year's tournament, with temperatures reaching 30C, one player who was happy in the heat was Norwegian 11th seed Ruud, who coolly beat Spaniard Albert Ramos-Vinolas 6-1 6-3 6-1.

Forced to miss last year's Australian Open because of injury, Wimbledon champion Alcaraz dominated French veteran Gasquet on his return to Melbourne Park in a 7-6 (7-5) 6-1 6-2 win.

The 20-year-old Spaniard, who at his past four Grand Slams has won two titles and reached two semi-finals, is aiming to significantly improve his record in Melbourne - where he has not gone beyond the third round in two previous appearances.

Alcaraz remained patient when faced with stern resistance from the 37-year-old Gasquet - playing the 23rd season of his career - who saved nine break points to force a tie-break in an entertaining opening set.

But, after edging the tie-break from 5-4 down, Alcaraz's quality shone through - although Gasquet forced him to wait until his fifth match point to finally clinch a victory which set up a second-round meeting with Italian Lorenzo Sonego, who beat Briton Dan Evans.

Elsewhere, Danish eighth seed Rune beat Yoshihito Nishioka 6-2 4-6 7-6 (7-3) 6-4 in what he called a "physical battle".

German sixth seed Zverev, meanwhile, had to come from behind to beat compatriot Dominik Koepfer 4-6 6-3 7-6 (7-3) 6-3.

The win came the day after German court officials set a date for his trial over domestic abuse allegations, which he denies.

Bulgarian 13th seed Grigor Dimitrov - fresh from winning his first ATP title since 2017 in Brisbane - also advanced, coming back to beat Marton Fucsovics 4-6 6-3 7-6 (7-1) 6-2.

Meanwhile, 26-year-old Nagal will get the chance to further improve his bank balance - reaching the third round brings prize money of £133,000 - when he takes on Chinese world number 140 Shang Juncheng, who is ranked three places below him.

He said he was not thinking about expectations back home, saying: "I want to go through this moment, take my time, enjoy being with my coach, have conversation, maybe eat a burger or something, and call it a night."

Australian Open 2024 results: Jack Draper, Cameron Norrie and Katie Boulter win​

Britain's Jack Draper battled through the Australian Open heat to win his first five-setter - and then threw up at the side of the court after victory.

Draper called for the doctor and had his blood pressure checked in a 6-4 3-6 4-6 6-0 6-2 first-round win against Marcos Giron in temperatures above 30C.

"I think it was more a psychological stress that was causing fatigue rather than the physical nature," Draper said.

Earlier, Cameron Norrie showed no sign of any wrist issues but Dan Evans lost.

In the women's singles, Emma Raducanu and Katie Boulter won their opening matches on day three at Melbourne Park.

Raducanu beat American Shelby Rogers 6-3 6-2 in her first Grand Slam match for a year, while Katie Boulter defeated China's Yuan Yue 7-5 7-6 (7-1).

With Norrie having won 6-4 6-4 6-2 against Peru's Juan Pablo Varillas, Evans had looked like he might join the other four Britons in the second round.

The 33-year-old, who is still in the early stages of his comeback from a calf injury, took the opening set against Italian Lorenzo Sonego but went on to lose 4-6 7-6 (10-8) 6-2 7-6 (7-4).

Draper earns satisfying win after physical struggles
When Draper needed medical attention at the end of the second set against American Giron, and disappeared off court after the third, it looked to be a familiar tale.

The 22-year-old has been plagued by a host of physical problems and early retirements in his burgeoning career.

Playing in stifling temperatures on the hottest day of the tournament so far, Draper appeared in deep trouble when he trailed by two sets to one.

Instead, he recovered admirably to earn what he said was one of his most gratifying victories.

"Last year, there was a lot of matches where I felt like I was sort of not getting physically any better. As time went on, it just wasn't coming," he said.

"This year, I'm obviously nowhere near where I want to be still, but it's coming. For sure I would have cramped in these matches last year, even maybe four months ago.

"There is a lot of positives. I have to be honest with myself and say that I am improving on that side of things."

Draper won eight games in a row to turn the match in his favour and managed that, with instructions from his team to try to keep the points short, by using more variety with serve and volleys, slice and drop shots.

In the decider, Draper broke again for 4-2 after outlasting and outthinking Giron in a brilliant exchange on break point.

That left the Briton bent over the side of the court to catch his breath and his physical exertions were illustrated even more starkly when he clinched victory.

After stretching for a forehand winner on his first match point, Draper shook hands with Giron before immediately running over to a courtside bin to be sick.

"I don't usually get sick, it's weird," Draper said. "It was obviously a physical match and tough conditions, but it wasn't that long for a five-set match.

"I think it's tougher in a Grand Slam with the tension, to play that first match. I'm still a young player, so getting used to the environment around these Slams and the tension is difficult.

"I felt better in the fifth set than I did the first."

Norrie pleased with opening win
Before the match, left-hander Norrie had said he was "concerned" by a problem with his left wrist which forced him to pull out of an ATP event in Auckland five days ago.

Norrie, who is Britain's highest-ranked singles player, is safely through and faces Italian qualifier Giulio Zeppieri next.

After a poor end to last year where he admitted feeling burned out, 19th seed Norrie is looking to bounce back in 2024 and go beyond the third round in Melbourne for the first time.

After scrapping to save a break point in his first service game, Norrie quickly asserted his authority as he took advantage of Varillas' poor service game.

Norrie applied heavy pressure as the Peruvian barely landed a first serve, eventually taking a sixth break point for a 3-2 lead which was enough to secure the opening set.

With Varillas' first-serve percentage down below 45%, Norrie moved a double break up at the start of the second set, allowing for him to drop serve before seeing it out at the second opportunity.

Varillas produced a double fault to hand over another break for 2-1 in the third and Norrie continued to move through the gears nicely.

He took his opponent's serve for the fifth time before ending Varillas' late resistance by taking his third match point in what was a pleasing opening performance.

"I think I did the basics well. I served well in the big moments and I think I won a lot of points on my first serve when I did make them," Norrie said.

"I didn't think I served that well, but I didn't lose many points on my first serve, which was good to see."

Britain's Cameron Norrie reached the Australian Open third round by fighting back to win a five-set match in Melbourne for the first time.

Norrie, seeded 19th, went two sets down against Italian qualifier Guilio Zeppieri but rallied to win 3-6 6-7 (4-7) 6-2 6-4 6-4.

The 28-year-old will face 11th seed Casper Ruud in the third round.

However, fellow Britons Katie Boulter and Jack Draper lost their second-round matches.

Boulter, Britain's women's number one, lost 6-3 6-3 against China's Zheng Qinwen, the 12th seed.

After Zheng controlled the first set, Boulter broke serve for 3-2 in the second but double-faulted twice in blustery conditions in the next game as she gave up the advantage.

The match was then decided in a marathon ninth game with Zheng clinching her sixth match point, having saved six Boulter break points.

Zheng will play either compatriot Wang Yafan or Britain's Emma Raducanu, whose meeting follows on the same court, in the third round.

British number four Draper, 22, lost 6-2 3-6 6-3 7-5 against American 14th seed Tommy Paul.

Australian Open 2024 results: Emma Raducanu loses to Wang Yafan

Emma Raducanu battled valiantly before running out of steam as her Grand Slam return was ended by China's Wang Yafan in the Australian Open second round.

Britain's Raducanu, 21, was beaten 6-4 4-6 6-4 in only her fourth match back after wrist and ankle surgeries which kept her out for almost nine months.

Raducanu looked like she was going to be sick early in the third set and had her blood pressure checked by a doctor.

Despite that, she had chances to break back in the decider but Wang held on.

Raducanu's exit came immediately after Katie Boulter, who has taken over as British number one, lost to Chinese 12th seed Zheng Qinwen on the same Kia Arena court.

The pair were bidding to set up an all-British meeting in the third round, but instead it is the Chinese pair who will meet on Saturday.

The defeats for Raducanu and Boulter mean there are no British players left in the women's singles.

Cameron Norrie, who fought back from two sets down to win in five sets earlier on Thursday, is the only remaining player from the nation in the singles draws.

Positive signs for Raducanu despite defeat

For any player coming back from such a long absence, it takes time to reach match sharpness and patience with their progress will be required.

Raducanu, given the long list of physical and mental struggles she has endured since winning the 2021 US Open, even more caution is necessary.

Therefore it was unsurprising - but not necessarily worrying - to see Raducanu suffer physically in the deciding set of a intense battle with 94th-ranked Wang.

The way she scrapped throughout a three-hour contest, and showed glimpses of her undoubted quality, was encouraging and admirable.

BBC Sport

Australian Open 2024 results: Elena Rybakina beaten by Anna Blinkova in longest tie-break in Grand Slam history

Forty-two points, 14 combined match points, 31 draining minutes - and that was just the tie-break.

Elena Rybakina and Anna Blinkova played out an epic Australian Open second-round match on Thursday - one that was settled by the longest tie-break in Grand Slam singles history.

Russian Blinkova eventually converted her 10th match point to win the second-round match 6-4 4-6 7-6 (22-20).

"This day I will remember for the rest of my life," she said.

Rybakina missed eight match points of her own in an enthralling encounter at Melbourne Park, which lasted two hours and 46 minutes.

The Kazakh third seed - who finished runner-up to Aryna Sabalenka last year - is the highest women's seed to fall so far.

The previous longest women's tie-break was Ukraine's Lesia Tsurenko's 4-6 6-3 7-6 (20-18) victory over Ana Bogdan in the Wimbledon third round last year. Those 38 points matched the men's record from the first set of Andy Roddick's victory against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga at the 2007 Australian Open. Roddick lost the tie-break but won in four sets.

"There were moments I enjoyed - and other moments it was super tough," Blinkova said on court.

"I had so many match points. I tried to be aggressive at these moments but my hands were shaking, and my legs too.

"I tried to be calm as hard as I could. Super happy to win in the end."

Australian Open 2024: Cameron Norrie wins but Katie Boulter and Jack Draper beaten

Britain's Cameron Norrie reached the Australian Open third round by fighting back to win a five-set match in Melbourne for the first time.

Norrie, seeded 19th, went two sets down against Italian qualifier Guilio Zeppieri but rallied to win 3-6 6-7 (4-7) 6-2 6-4 6-4.

The 28-year-old will face 11th seed Casper Ruud in the third round.

However, fellow Britons Katie Boulter and Jack Draper lost their second-round matches.

Boulter, Britain's women's number one, lost 6-3 6-3 against China's Zheng Qinwen, the 12th seed.

Zheng will play compatriot Wang Yafan after she beat Britain's Emma Raducanu.

British number four Draper, 22, lost 6-2 3-6 6-3 7-5 against American 14th seed Tommy Paul.

BBC

Novak Djokovic celebrated his 100th match at the Australian Open with a dominant victory over Tomas Martin Etcheverry to reach the fourth round.

Top seed Djokovic showed the best form of his title defence so far to beat the 30th seed 6-3 6-3 7-6 (7-2).

It keeps the 36-year-old on course for a 25th Grand Slam title, which would take him clear of the all-time record held by Australian Margaret Court.

"It was the best performance I've had during this tournament," Djokovic said.

He will next play France's 35-year-old Adrian Mannarino, who beat 21-year-old Ben Shelton in his third five-set win in a row.

Sabalenka wins in 52 minutes to reach fourth round

Djokovic has won 92 of his 100 matches in Melbourne, and is now the first man to play 100 matches at all four Grand Slams, having played 108 matches at the French Open, 103 at Wimbledon and 101 at the US Open.

The 10-time champion seemed distracted at times in his first two matches at Melbourne Park, dropping sets against Dino Prizmic and then Alexei Popyrin. He was also involved in a confrontation with a fan against Popyrin.

But tasked with Argentine Etcheverry, who had impressively brushed aside Andy Murray and Gael Monfils in the previous rounds, the Serb was clinical in securing a 31st win in a row at the Australian Open.

He lost just four points on serve as he dictated from the baseline in the first set, breaking in the sixth game as Etcheverry pushed a backhand long under intense pressure.

A dismissive forehand return winner earned Djokovic an early break in the second set and he took his opponent's serve again to clinch the set. At one stage the crowd on Rod Laver Arena gasped as he produced a trademark, stunning backhand winner on the stretch.

Etcheverry played his best tennis in the third set and forced a tie-break but Djokovic took the first three points of the breaker to ease through, wrapping up victory without facing a break point in the match.

"Obviously I'm pleased with the way I played throughout the entire match, particularly the first two sets," Djokovic said.

"He stepped it up and raised his level of tennis in the third set. We went toe-to-toe in the tiebreaker."

Source : BBC Sports

Australian Open 2024: Cameron Norrie faces Casper Ruud in third round

Cameron Norrie will need to beat Casper Ruud for the first time in four matches if he is to advance to the Australian Open fourth round on Saturday.

Norrie is the sole Briton remaining in the singles in Melbourne but he has never gone further than round three.

Both survived five-set matches on Thursday, with Norrie coming back from two sets down against Guilio Zeppieri, while Norwegian 11th seed Ruud came through a final-set tie-break.

They will not play before 06:00 GMT.

Norrie, seeded 19th, struggled past his ongoing wrist pain to win 3-6 6-7 (4-7) 6-2 6-4 6-4.

"I think I was making it a bigger deal than it probably was in the beginning of the match," said Norrie, who pulled out of an ATP event in Auckland to protect the injury.

"I was addressing it too much. Once I switched my focus and my energy towards how to win and how to play and how to win points, I think that was key."

World number one Iga Swiatek and Wimbledon champion Carlos Alcaraz are also in action on day six in Melbourne.

Swiatek opens the night session on Rod Laver Arena from 08:00 GMT against Czech Linda Noskova, while Alcaraz faces Chinese wildcard Shang Juncheng from approximately 03:00 GMT.

British number one Cameron Norrie produced his finest display in recent months to beat 11th seed Casper Ruud and reach the Australian Open fourth round for the first time.

Norrie, seeded 19th, played aggressively and smartly in a 6-4 6-7 (7-9) 6-4 6-3 win in Melbourne.

The 28-year-old will face German sixth seed Alexander Zverev or American teenager Alex Michelsen on Monday.

Australian Open 2024: Iga Swiatek stunned by Linda Noskova in third round​

World number one Iga Swiatek is out of the Australian Open after being stunned by Czech 19-year-old Linda Noskova in the third round.

The Pole, 22, had looked in control but the highly-rated Noskova fought back to win 3-6 6-3 6-4 on Rod Laver Arena.

In the decider, the world number 50's power rocked Swiatek, who was hampered by forehand errors.

"I'm speechless," said Noskova, who has reached the fourth round of a major for the first time.

"I knew it was going to be an amazing match with the world number one but I didn't really think it would end up like this.

"I'm just really glad to get through this round."

Noskova is playing in the main draw in Melbourne for the first time, having lost in qualifying last year as an 18-year-old.

She fell to the floor in disbelief after converting her first match point following a tight third set.

Zheng taking inspiration from Li in open draw

Swiatek's defeat leaves 12th seed Zheng Qinwen of China as the highest ranked player in the top half of the draw.

She edged out compatriot Wang Yafan in a third-set tie-break to win 6-4 2-6 7-6 (10-8) - 10 years after Li Na became the first Chinese winner of the women's singles title in Melbourne.

"That final I have watched more than 10 times," said Zheng, who was 11 when Li won and met her in person for the first time after the win over Wang. "I have a lot of memories.

"I was sitting there in front of TV. I watched from beginning to the end. "

Two-time Australian Open champion Victoria Azarenka is the only Grand Slam finalist remaining in the top half after she progressed with a 6-1 7-5 victory over Latvia's 11th seed Jelena Ostapenko.

The Belarusian 18th seed trailed 5-2 in the second set and had to save break points as she served for the match.

Svitolina will be seen as another contender after she brushed aside Switzerland's Viktorija Golubic 6-2 6-3.

The 29-year-old made it to the semi-finals of Wimbledon and Roland Garros last year on her comeback after giving birth but has never reached a major final.

Zheng will play French world number 95 Oceane Dodin after she beat compatriot Clara Burel 6-2 6-4.

Russian Anna Kalinskaya, who is ranked 75th in the world, beat American Sloane Stephens 6-7 (8-10) 6-1 6-4 and will play Italian Jasmine Paolini.

Twenty-sixth seed Paolini reached her first Grand Slam fourth round by beating Anna Blinkova, who stunned Rybakina on Thursday, 7-6 (7-1) 6-4.

She will face Ukrainian qualifier Dayana Yastremska, who defeated American 27th seed Emma Navarro 6-2 2-6 6-1.

We've seen a lot of upsets in this Australian Open on the women's side and it won't be a surprise that we see more upsets in the second week of the tournament.

Five sets, four hours, five minutes.

Alexander Zverev ends British interest in the singles and advances into the last eight of the Australia Open.

Cameron Norrie bows out.

20240122_172709.jpg

The all-British pairing of Heather Watson and Joe Salisbury moved into the quarter-finals of the mixed doubles at the Australian Open.

It ensures there will be at least one Briton in the semi-finals as Watson and Salisbury face Britain's Neal Skupski and American Desirae Krawczyk next.

Elsewhere on Monday, Skupski went out of the men's doubles in the third round, as did Lloyd Glasspool.

Jamie Murray and Russia's Yana Sizikova lost in round two of the mixed doubles.

They were beaten 6-3 6-4 by the sixth-seeded pairing of Gabriela Dabrowski of Canada and American Nathaniel Lammons.

Watson and Salisbury, in the mixed doubles as alternates, gained a 6-3 6-2 win over eighth seeds Ellen Perez of Australia and Jean-Julien Rojer of the Netherlands.

In the men's doubles, Skupski and Mexican partner Santiago Gonzalez, the fifth seeds, lost 3-6 7-6 (7-1) 6-4 in the third round to Uruguay's Ariel Behar and Adam Pavlasek of the Czech Republic.

Glasspool and Rojer were the 11th seeds but fell to a 3-6 6-4 7-6 (10-3) loss to Monaco's Hugo Nys and Poland's Jan Zielinski.

Second seed Carlos Alcaraz said he played "almost perfectly" in his fourth-round win over Serb Miomir Kecmanovic at the Australian Open.

The two-time Grand Slam champion won 6-4 6-4 6-0 to reach the quarter-finals for the first time at Melbourne Park.

Ukrainian qualifier Dayana Yastremska said she felt like her "heart was going to jump out of her body" after she knocked out Victoria Azarenka to reach the Australian Open quarter-finals.

Yastremska, 23, won 7-6 (8-6) 6-4 against two-time champion Azarenka to move past the last 16 at a Grand Slam event for the first time.

But she will not face an all-Ukrainian quarter-final after Elina Svitolina retired injured against Linda Noskova.

Svitolina stopped due to a back issue.

Australian Open 2024 quarter-finals line-up is 🔥

9OteFbn.png

Who are your semi-finalists?

Novak Djokovic continued his bid for a record-extending 11th Australian Open title with a confident win over American 12th seed Taylor Fritz.

The Serb, seeking a 25th Grand Slam to move past Margaret Court's record of 24, won 7-6 (7-3) 4-6 6-2 6-3 in hot conditions to reach the semi-finals.

He will play on Friday against Italian fourth seed Jannik Sinner, who defeated Russian fifth seed Andrey Rublev.

BBC

Defending champion Aryna Sabalenka set up a tantalising Australian Open semi-final against American teenager Coco Gauff after overpowering Barbora Krejcikova in a straight-set victory.

Sabalenka's 6-2 6-3 win confirmed a repeat of September's thrilling US Open final, in which Gauff came back from a set down to win a first major title.

Gauff, 19, scraped past Ukraine's Marta Kostyuk in three sets in Melbourne.

The American made 51 unforced errors but won 7-6 (8-6) 6-7 (4-7) 6-2.

Carlos Alcaraz was knocked out of the Australian Open as Alexander Zverev held off a spirited comeback by the Spaniard to win an absorbing quarter-final at 01:20 local time.

Germany's Zverev was rewarded for a rapid start to win 6-1 6-3 6-7 (2-7) 6-4 against Spanish second seed Alcaraz.

Zverev served for victory at 5-3 in the third set but Alcaraz burst into life.

However, the sixth seed made no mistake the second time around to set up a semi-final with Daniil Medvedev.

Earlier, third seed Medvedev won 7-6 (7-4) 2-6 6-3 5-7 6-4 against Poland's ninth seed Hubert Hurkacz.

"I feel a bit destroyed right now," said Medvedev, who clinched victory in just under four hours.

"He played good, I won't be tough on myself. I just had to try and do whatever I could. If I lose, I lose, it's OK."

The 27-year-old Russian is aiming for a second Grand Slam title after winning the 2021 US Open, while Zverev is searching for a first major triumph.

The pair will meet when the men's semi-finals take place on Friday, with defending champion Novak Djokovic facing Italian fourth seed Jannik Sinner.

Australian Open 2024 results: Neal Skupski and Desirae Krawczyk reach mixed doubles final

Britain's Neal Skupski and American Desirae Krawczyk beat Australian duo Olivia Gadecki and Marc Polmans to reach the final of the mixed doubles at the Australian Open for the first time.

Skupski and Krawczyk won 6-4 6-1 on Margaret Court Arena in Melbourne.

They are aiming for their third Grand Slam title together after twice winning the mixed doubles at Wimbledon.

In Friday's final they will meet the pairing of Taiwanese Hsieh Su-wei and Poland's Jan Zielinski.

Gadecki and Polmans broke Krawczyk's serve in the third game of the match, but second seeds Skupski and Krawczyk fought back from 4-2 down and won four successive games to take the opening set.

The second set was more one sided with breaks of serve in the fourth and sixth games.

Hsieh and Zielinski, the third seeds, defeated the Australian team of Jaimee Fourlis and Andrew Harris 7-6 (10-8) 6-2.

BBC

Novak Djokovic faces the sternest test of his Australian Open title defence when he meets Italy's Jannik Sinner in the semi-finals on Friday.

The world number one, chasing a record 25th Grand Slam title and 11th triumph in Melbourne, has not lost a match at the tournament in more than six years.

But Sinner has won two of the pair's past three meetings, beating the Serb twice in 12 days in November.

BBC

Wowser!

Game, set and match - Sinner​

Djokovic 1-6 2-6 7-6 (8-6) 3-6 Sinner

JANNIK SINNER HAS DONE IT!

Novak Djokovic suffers his first defeat at the Australian Open in 2195 days, his 33-match unbeaten streak at Melbourne Park ended by a superb display by the Italian 22-year-old.

For Sinner, a first Grand Slam final awaits him on Sunday.

Time waits for no man. I didn't reach anything into the Wimbledon final loss and so you shouldn't because Djokovic was not far off a 2-0 lead and then later a break in the 5th. But this one and this tournament tells us a lot.

Djokovic has been struggling since late last year. He is struggling to put away players he once would have crushed. Today he looked old and overpowered by a young man who would have been comfortably beaten just this time last year.

Congrats to Sinner, thorooughly deserved. Sad for Djokovic but his time is coming to an end as the leader now.

Alexander Zverev's domestic abuse allegations are 'messy cloud' for tennis

Had Alexander Zverev booked his place in the Australian Open final, an already difficult situation would have got even more uncomfortable.

The German is facing a trial over domestic abuse allegations that he denies. And while there has been increasing focus on the matter in the past fortnight since a court date was set, he would have been even more under the spotlight had he been competing for one of tennis' biggest prizes on Sunday.

Questions over whether he should be playing and whether he should be in a leadership role on the ATP Players Council while the case is ongoing have been posed to him and his fellow players at various news conferences in Melbourne.

And those questions have been getting louder.

Alexander Zverev's domestic abuse allegations are 'messy cloud' for tennis

Had Alexander Zverev booked his place in the Australian Open final, an already difficult situation would have got even more uncomfortable.

The German is facing a trial over domestic abuse allegations that he denies. And while there has been increasing focus on the matter in the past fortnight since a court date was set, he would have been even more under the spotlight had he been competing for one of tennis' biggest prizes on Sunday.

Questions over whether he should be playing and whether he should be in a leadership role on the ATP Players Council while the case is ongoing have been posed to him and his fellow players at various news conferences in Melbourne.

And those questions have been getting louder.

Innocent until proven guilty. Why can't people just shut up and let the courts do their job. Just because of this harassment I wanted him to win if Djoker couldn't.

Aryna Sabalenka is Australia Open champion - AGAIN

She beats Zheng Qinwen 6-3 6-2 to win the title in Melbourne for the second successive year.

MWhTgw2.jpg

Australian Open 2024 results: Rohan Bopanna wins men's doubles Grand Slam title at 61st attempt​

It took 61 attempts, with 19 different partners, but Rohan Bopanna finally won his first men's doubles Grand Slam title to set yet more records.

The 43-year-old Indian, already set to become the oldest men's doubles number one, became the oldest major men's doubles winner at the Australian Open.

He and Matthew Ebden beat Italians Simone Bolelli and Andrea Vavassori 7-6 (7-0) 7-5 in Saturday's final.

"[It's] without a doubt the best moment in my career," Bopanna said.

"I'm playing my best tennis of my life."

Bopanna now tops the Open era list for the most attempts made before winning a men's doubles Grand Slam title, surpassing American Rajeev Ram's 58.

And at 43 years and 329 days, he has become the oldest man to win a Grand Slam doubles title.

Since teaming up with Australian Ebden at the start of last year, he has set a number of records, including becoming the oldest Masters champion, the oldest finalist at a Grand Slam, and the oldest player to win a match at the ATP Finals.

Bopanna, who will top the world rankings for the first time on Monday, threw his racquet in the air and fell flat on his back before chest-bumping with Ebden after they sealed the win in Melbourne.

"He's young at heart, he's a champion, he's a warrior," Ebden said of his partner.

The victory came in Bopanna's 17th attempt in the Australian Open men's doubles event, which equals the record held by his compatriot Leander Paes.

During the trophy presentation Bopanna revealed he had considered quitting the sport a couple of years ago.

"I sent a video message saying I was going to call it a day because I was not winning matches at all," said Bopanna, who will share prize money of 730,000 Australian dollars (£377,700) with Ebden.

"I went five months without winning a match and I thought that was going to be the end of my journey.

"I think that perseverance inside me just kept me going. I really changed so many things and I found a wonderful partner, so thank you."

WOW, India have another grand slam winner after Paes, Bhupathi and Sania.

Jannik Sinner, in his first Grand Slam final, has become Australia Open champion.

He came from two sets down to beat Daniil Medvedev

QvR4hG3.jpg

V8W46zE.jpg

Jannik Sinner, in his first Grand Slam final, has become Australia Open champion.

He came from two sets down to beat Daniil Medvedev

QvR4hG3.jpg

V8W46zE.jpg
Jannik Sinner landed the Grand Slam title he has long promised with an extraordinary fightback to beat Daniil Medvedev in the Australian Open final.

Italy's Sinner, 22, trailed by two sets before recovering to win 3-6 3-6 6-4 6-4 6-3 in his first major final.

Fourth seed Sinner initially could not cope with the Russian's pace but imposed himself as the contest wore on.

It was another bitter experience for Medvedev, who also blew a two-set lead against Rafael Nadal in the 2022 final.

A first-time champion in Melbourne was guaranteed after Sinner knocked out 10-time champion Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals.

Sinner ensured his name goes on the trophy - fulfilling the talent that many had predicted would lead to a Grand Slam triumph - after an epic match lasting almost four hours.

Third seed Medvedev has lost five of his six major finals, including back-to-back finals to Djokovic in 2021 and Nadal in 2022 at Melbourne Park.

Sinner clinched victory with a forehand winner down the line, falling to his back on the baseline in celebration.

Medvedev trudged around the net to offer his congratulations before Sinner thumped his heart on his way to celebrate with his team.

Looking disconsolate as he tried to process the loss while sitting on his chair, Medvedev managed to give a thumbs-up to the crowd when they applauded his efforts.

"It hurts to lose in the final but probably being in the final is better than losing before," Medvedev said.

"I always want to win and I guess I have to try harder next time."

So many players with the experience of a Grand Slam final have talked about how different the occasion can be, particularly if it is the first time, and potentially overwhelming.

Medvedev, whose sole major triumph came at the 2021 US Open, hoped his greater experience in these situations would tell against Sinner.

While Sinner did not appear to be hampered by nerves, Medvedev simply suffocated him with an attacking approach in the opening two sets which proved to be a smart strategy.

Ultimately, his defeat boiled down to endurance - and perhaps some mental scars from the defeat by Nadal on the same stage.

Medvedev had spent almost six hours more on court over the Melbourne fortnight than his younger opponent.

Three times he had to outlast his opponents in five-set matches and twice fought back from two sets down, including a remarkable semi-final against German sixth seed Alexander Zverev.

Before the final, Medvedev spoke about Sinner having the physical advantage and knew he would have to make a fast start to maximise his chances.

That was exactly what he managed to do.

However, he was unable to maintain the pace and ferocity of his groundstrokes, looking increasingly weary as Sinner fought back.

British number one Katie Boulter cruised past Italian sixth seed Jasmine Paolini in straight sets to reach the second round of the Linz Open.

Boulter needed just 76 minutes to wrap up a 6-2 6-2 victory, saving all five break points she faced.

The 27-year-old will play Russian world number 42 Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in the last 16 in Austria.

British number two Jodie Burrage qualified for the main draw with a win over Germany's Anna-Lena Friedsam.

Burrage lost the first set but recovered to secure a 5-7 6-3 6-2 win in two hours 27 minutes.

BBC

Andy Murray beaten by Benoit Paire at the Open Sud de France First Round.

Sr2fdh5.png

Linz Open: Jodie Burrage comes back from slow start to reach round two

British number two Jodie Burrage overcame a shaky start to reach the second round of the Linz Open.

The world number 102, who came through qualifying in Austria, lost her opening service game of the match.

But she regrouped superbly to beat French seventh seed and world number 46 Varvara Gracheva 6-4 6-0.

The 24-year-old, who is in the main draw in Linz for the first time, joins British number one Katie Boulter in the next round.

It was a fifth career victory over a top-50 opponent for Burrage who will face either Jaqueline Cristian of Romania or Argentina's Nadia Podoroska in the next round.

After being 3-2 behind in the first set, she rattled off 10 of the next 11 games as Gracheva committed a string of unforced errors.

BBC

Andy Murray: Three-time Grand Slam champion says he is in a 'terrible moment' but 'won't quit'

Three-time Grand Slam champion Andy Murray says he "won't quit" tennis despite being in a "terrible moment".

The Briton, 36, is winless in 2024 after Monday's first-round loss to Benoit Paire at the Open Sud de France.

Murray also suffered a first-round exit at the Australian Open, while his last ATP Tour victory was in October.

On Tuesday, he responded to a BBC reporter's post on X, which asked when Murray should "call time on an extraordinary career".

The post linked to an article which said while the Scot's status as a legend was secure "at what point does bravely soldiering on start to damage his legacy?"

"Tarnishing my legacy? Do me a favour," two-time Wimbledon champion Murray wrote in reply.

"I'm in a terrible moment right now, I'll give you that.

"Most people would quit and give up in my situation right now. But I'm not most people and my mind works differently.

"I won't quit. I will keep fighting and working to produce the performances I know I'm capable of."

The article asked whether Murray's "refusal to back down from a challenge" was doing him "more harm than good".

World number 49 Murray has suffered nine defeats in 13 matches since the start of the US Open in August.

The former British and world number one defied the odds to return from hip replacement surgery in 2018.

However, since losing to Daniil Medvedev in the Qatar Open final last year, he has not won more than two matches at any tour-level event and is about to drop out of the world's top 50.

Murray said in Melbourne earlier this month that there was a "definite possibility" he had played in his last Australian Open.

BBC

Rohan Bopanna: 43-year-old Australian Open doubles champion sets sights on Wimbledon title

Record-breaker Rohan Bopanna wants to make more history by adding the Wimbledon doubles title to his CV.

Bopanna, 43, became the oldest major men's doubles winner with Matthew Ebden at the Australian Open last month, and is the oldest tennis world number one.

India's Bopanna reached the semi-finals at Wimbledon in 2023 and has ambitions to go further this year.

"Growing up in India Wimbledon was the only Grand Slam shown on TV," Bopanna told BBC World Service Sport.

"I have a really close connection [with Wimbledon]. In 2023 we ended up losing to the eventual champions, [Neal] Skupski and [Wesley] Koolhof.

"I'd love to get back there, get myself in a great position and hopefully Matt and I can do Wimbledon together."

It took 61 attempts with 19 different partners for Bopanna to win his first doubles Grand Slam title when he and Ebden beat Italians Simone Bolelli and Andrea Vavassori 7-6 (7-0) 7-5 in the final, and he said he took "a nice nap" to help "calm the nerves down" before the match.

Bopanna teamed up with Ebden at the start of 2023 and has since set several records, including becoming the oldest Masters champion, the oldest finalist at a Grand Slam and the oldest player to win a match at the ATP Finals.

"Today I feel when I'm at the top there's no real reason to stop, and I really feel I'm enjoying travelling still," Bopanna said.

"I'm still competing against the best in the world, winning tournaments, now winning the Grand Slam also. I really feel as long as I enjoy it and I'm not forcing myself to be there, I can still keep going as much as possible."

BBC

British number two Jodie Burrage has been knocked out of the Linz Open after losing to Jelena Ostapenko of Latvia in the quarter-finals.

Top seed Ostapenko won 6-1 6-2 to progress to the last four in Austria.

Burrage, 24, had beaten Romania's Jaqueline Cristian in the previous round to reach the last eight of a WTA 500 event for the first time.

But she struggled after picking up an injury early on against Ostapenko, who won in one hour and 10 minutes.

BBC

Davis Cup: Slovakia shock Serbia to reach group stage

Slovakia provided the biggest shock of the Davis Cup qualifiers as they knocked out 2023 semi-finalists Serbia.

France, the Czech Republic, Belgium, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, USA, Finland, Argentina, Chile and Brazil also booked places in the competition's group stage.

They join last year's winners Italy, 2023 runners-up Australia and wildcards Great Britain and Spain.

The 16 qualified nations will contest the group stage from 10-15 September.

The competition will conclude in November with the 'Final 8' - quarter-finals, semi-finals and final - in Malaga.

Former US Open champion Emma Raducanu won 10 of the last 11 games to claim a 6-4 6-1 win over Marie Bouzkova and set up a last-16 meeting with Ons Jabeur in Abu Dhabi; Raducanu was making her first appearance since her Australian Open exit

SKY

Andy Murray's disappointing season continues with loss at Open 13 Provence in Marseille

Andy Murray's difficult start to the year continued with defeat in Marseille but Heather Watson earned one of the best wins of her recent career at the Abu Dhabi Open on Tuesday.

Murray lost 7-5 6-4 in another error-strewn showing against world number 66 Tomas Machac at the Open 13 Provence.

He has lost all four of his matches in 2024, including a first-round exit at last month's Australian Open.

Meanwhile, Watson beat Russian ninth seed Veronika Kudermetova 6-3 7-5.

The convincing first-round win was Watson's best in terms of ranking since 2017, with Kudermetova ranked 16th in the world - 140 places above the former British number one.

"I played really well and had a lot of fun out here today," said Watson, who beat 2020 Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin in qualifying to make the main draw.

"I played a Grand Slam champion in the first round and that gave me a lot of confidence. That really helped. I knew the conditions and felt prepared for today."

Simona Halep fears loss of doping appeal will end her career​

PARIS -- Two-time Grand Slam champion Simona Halep fears a loss in the appeal of her four-year doping suspension could lead to the end of her playing career.

A three-day hearing with the Court of Arbitration for Sport is scheduled for Feb. 7-9 in her appeal against the International Tennis Integrity Agency, which ruled that Halep "committed intentional anti-doping rule violations."

"Four years is going to be a lot for my age," Halep, a 32-year-old from Romania who has been No. 1 in the WTA rankings, said in an interview with euronews posted online Friday.

"It's catastrophic if it's going to be four years," she said. "And I don't know how I will handle it. Probably it's going to be [the] end of [my] career, yes."

Halep tested positive for the drug Roxadustat at the 2022 US Open and also was cited for irregularities in her biological passport. Roxadustat stimulates the body to produce more of the natural hormone erythropoietin, or EPO, which has long been a doping product favored by cyclists and distance runners.

Halep said in Friday's interview that she is no longer working with coach Patrick Mouratoglou's academy and hasn't spoken with him in a "few months."

In a video Mouratoglou posted on Instagram in November, he took blame for providing a tainted substance to Halep.

"We brought her collagen from a company. This collagen happened to be contaminated," Mouratoglou said. "There was no way to know it. But I feel responsible for what happened because it's my team -- so me, basically -- who brought her this collagen."

Halep won the French Open in 2018 by beating Sloane Stephens in the final, and Wimbledon in 2019 by defeating Serena Williams in the title match.

Speaking with euronews in Paris. Halep said she hopes she wins her appeal and will be eligible to compete in next year's Summer Olympics in that city.

"I know I didn't do anything wrong and I know I'm clean," Halep said.

Former world number one Simona Halep's appeal against a four-year doping ban will be heard by the Court of Arbitration for Sport from Wednesday.

The Romanian, 32, was suspended after an independent tribunal determined she committed "intentional" anti-doping violations in September.

Halep, a two-time Grand Slam singles champion, said she would fight to clear her name of the "false allegations".

The hearing will take place over three days in Lausanne, Switzerland.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) said on Tuesday: "The parties, witnesses and experts will attend the hearing both in person and remotely, including Ms Halep who will be present in person."

BBC

Britain's Emma Raducanu was denied a place in the Abu Dhabi Open quarter-finals by second seed Ons Jabeur.

Competing as a wildcard in Abu Dhabi, the 21-year-old Raducanu lost 6-4 6-1 to the Tunisian world number six.

A surprise US Open champion in 2021, Raducanu made her Grand Slam return at last month's Australian Open after missing the final eight months of 2023 following wrist and ankle surgeries.

Jabeur, 29, will play Brazil's Beatriz Haddad Maia in the last eight.

BBC

Transylvania Open: Harriet Dart into quarter-finals and heading back into WTA top 100

Harriet Dart is set to return to the world's top 100 after she defeated Elisabetta Cocciaretto to reach the Transylvania Open quarter-finals.

The British number three fought back from a set down to clinch a 5-7 7-5 6-3 victory over the fifth seed in Cluj.

Dart, who came through qualifying for the WTA Tour event, entered the week in 103rd spot but will move up after a slide down the rankings last year.

The 27-year-old faces unseeded Spaniard Nuria Parrizas Diaz in the last eight.

Dart's victory over Cocciaretto in Romania was the fifth time she had made the last eight of a WTA Tour event.

However, it was first time she had done so away from British grass, with her last such run coming in Birmingham last summer.

Transylvania Open: Harriet Dart reaches first semi-final on WTA Tour

Harriet Dart reached her first semi-final on the WTA Tour with victory over Spain's Nuria Parrizas-Diaz at the Transylvania Open.

The British number three, who came through qualifying at the event in Cluj, Romania, won 6-3 6-2.

Dart, 27, will face Czech former world number one Karolina Pliskova or Italy's Sara Errani next.

She will rise to a provisional 92nd in the world rankings, eight places shy of her career best of 84th.

Simona Halep: Former Wimbledon champion confident of tennis return after appeal against doping ban​

Former world number one Simona Halep says she is confident of a return to tennis after her appeal against a four-year doping ban was heard by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas).

Halep was suspended after an independent tribunal said she committed "intentional" anti-doping violations.

The three-day hearing for the former Wimbledon champion concluded on Friday.

"I had the chance to show my defence and I really believe that the truth is going to come out," Halep said.

Halep, 32, was banned in September by the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) following two separate doping infractions.

She tested positive for roxadustat after the US Open in 2022, while irregularities were also found in her athlete biological passport, used to monitor selected biological variables over time, in a separate anti-doping breach that year.

Halep, who would be unable to play professional tennis until 6 October 2026 if the ban is upheld, insists she is innocent and has claimed experts found she had accidentally taken a contaminated supplement.

She has previously said that the ban will likely end her career if it is upheld, and said she would fight to clear her name of the "false allegations".

Speaking to reporters outside Cas in Lausanne, Switzerland on Friday, she said: "The day to be on court is going to be soon."

Halep has blamed contaminated licensed supplements for her positive test at the US Open, and accused the ITIA of charging her with an ABP violation after the group of experts who assessed her profile learned her identity.

Howard Jacobs, Halep's lawyer, said Cas had heard her arguments but it was unclear when the court will issue its ruling.

Good to know that she is hopeful to be on court soon. Women tennis would be better and more competitive if she is playing.

Top seed Elena Rybakina powered to a 6-1 6-4 win over Russian Daria Kasatkina in the final of the Abu Dhabi Open on Sunday to lift her second trophy of the season and seventh overall.

The 2022 Wimbledon champion began the contest on Stadium Court in typically dominant fashion to grab an early break, but seventh seed Kasatkina struck back with one of her own only to fall behind again in blustery conditions.

Rybakina regained composure to go 5-1 up on the back of big serving as Kasatkina struggled for consistency and the 24-year-old Brisbane champion wrapped up the opening set in 25 minutes when her opponent sent a forehand wide.

The pair had come into the contest having split their four meetings - all on hardcourts - and Adelaide runner-up Kasatkina showed plenty of fight to pull two breaks back in the next set with relentless baseline hitting and stunning winners.

Level at 4-4, Rybakina turned the heat up to break the 26-year-old Kasatkina with a crosscourt scorcher and the Moscow-born Kazakh returned after a brief rain delay to secure the victory on serve.

Both players will now head to Doha for the Qatar Open, with Kasatkina set to face Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in her opener on Monday while Rybakina has a bye into the second round.
"A tough week, especially the last matches, and tomorrow is already a match in Doha (for Kasatkina)," Rybakina said.

"Hopefully we both recover and do well there and maybe play final there.
"I want to thank all the fans who came to support us. It's been an amazing atmosphere and especially to see the flags from Kazakhstan it really means a lot."

Kasatkina, who came through a gruelling semi-final against Beatriz Haddad Maia on Saturday that lasted nearly three hours, was disappointed with the loss but remained upbeat about her form early in the season.

"Did I have enough in the tank for the final? I squeezed everything that I had left and it wasn't enough against a player like Elena ... you have to be at your best to have a chance to beat her," Kasatkina said.

"Unfortunate that the tournament ended this way but there's a lot of positives in the week. There's nothing to be sad about but of course it's always disappointing to lose in a final."

Source: Reuters

Heather Watson and Harriet Dart defeated in doubles finals in Cluj and Doha

Britain's Heather Watson and doubles partner Linda Noskova suffered a 6-4 7-6 (7-4) defeat by Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Sofia Kenin in the final of the Abu Dhabi Open on Sunday.

Watson and her Czech partner forced a tie-break in the second set but the American duo closed the match out.

Briton Harriet Dart and Tereza Mihalikova of Slovakia were beaten in the final of the Transylvania Open.

They went down 6-3 6-4 to the United States' Caty McNally and Asia Muhammad.

Earlier in the week, Dart reached her first semi-final on the WTA Tour in the singles tournament, losing to Karolina Pliskova.

It helped the 27-year-old climb back into the top 100 of the world rankings.

In the final of the singles at the Abu Dhabi Open, world number five Elena Rybakina cruised to a 6-1 6-4 victory over Daria Kasatkina.

The top seed from Kazakhstan wrapped up the win in 68 minutes against her Russian opponent in Doha to secure her seventh career title.

For Heather Watson i will consider this an upset because she was in amazing form during this tournament.

Simona Halep: Former Wimbledon champion confident of tennis return after appeal against doping ban​

Former world number one Simona Halep says she is confident of a return to tennis after her appeal against a four-year doping ban was heard by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas).

Halep was suspended after an independent tribunal said she committed "intentional" anti-doping violations.

The three-day hearing for the former Wimbledon champion concluded on Friday.

"I had the chance to show my defence and I really believe that the truth is going to come out," Halep said.

Halep, 32, was banned in September by the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) following two separate doping infractions.

She tested positive for roxadustat after the US Open in 2022, while irregularities were also found in her athlete biological passport, used to monitor selected biological variables over time, in a separate anti-doping breach that year.

Halep, who would be unable to play professional tennis until 6 October 2026 if the ban is upheld, insists she is innocent and has claimed experts found she had accidentally taken a contaminated supplement.

She has previously said that the ban will likely end her career if it is upheld, and said she would fight to clear her name of the "false allegations".

Speaking to reporters outside Cas in Lausanne, Switzerland on Friday, she said: "The day to be on court is going to be soon."

Halep has blamed contaminated licensed supplements for her positive test at the US Open, and accused the ITIA of charging her with an ABP violation after the group of experts who assessed her profile learned her identity.

Howard Jacobs, Halep's lawyer, said Cas had heard her arguments but it was unclear when the court will issue its ruling.

I hope her suspension is lifted. Four years is such a long time for a first time offence.

And I just don't think she is the sort of player or person who would willingly take something illegal.

Qatar Open: Emma Raducanu beaten by Anhelina Kalinina in first round

Emma Raducanu said she "struggled with everything" as she was beaten by world number 30 Anhelina Kalinina in the first round of the Qatar Open in Doha.

The Briton was well below par in a one-sided first set, hitting 15 unforced errors to her Ukrainian opponent's two.

She saved two match points in a far more competitive second but Kalinina came through to win 6-0 7-6 (8-6).

"I was struggling with everything - serve, return, forehand, backhand," Raducanu, 21, told Sky Sports.

Qatar Open: Coco Gauff loses to Katerina Siniakova in second round

American teenager Coco Gauff suffered a shock defeat by Katerina Siniakova in the second round at the Qatar Open.

World number three Gauff lost six games in a row in the second set and was beaten 6-2 6-4 by Czech Siniakova.

The 19-year-old Gauff was making her first appearance since an Australian Open semi-final loss to Aryna Sabalenka last month.

Despite being seeded second in Doha, Gauff could not find her usual rhythm against 27-year-old Siniakova.

After losing the opening set, last year's US Open champion regained her composure to race into a 4-0 lead in the second set.

But Siniakova, who is a seven-time Grand Slam champion in women's doubles, hit back spectacularly to claim one of the biggest victories of her singles career.

BBC

American teenager Coco Gauff suffered a shock defeat by Katerina Siniakova in the second round at the Qatar Open.

World number three Gauff lost six games in a row in the second set and was beaten 6-2 6-4 by Czech Siniakova.

The 19-year-old Gauff was making her first appearance since an Australian Open semi-final loss to Aryna Sabalenka last month.

Despite being seeded second in Doha, Gauff could not find her usual rhythm against 27-year-old Siniakova.

After losing the opening set, last year's US Open champion regained her composure to race into a 4-0 lead in the second set.

But Siniakova, who is a seven-time Grand Slam champion in women's doubles, hit back spectacularly to claim one of the biggest victories of her singles career.

BBC

Pakistani teen, 17, collapses and passes away during ITF junior tournament

Pakistani teenage tennis player Zainab Ali Naqvi collapsed during this week's junior event in Islamabad and sadly passed away at the age of 17.

Ali Naqvi, who was one of the most promising and talented Pakistani juniors, came to Islamabad to take part in this week's ITF junior event there. After completing a practice session on Monday, Ali Naqvi collapsed in her room and was found by her grandmother who immediately sought help.

Source: Tennis World USA

Former world number one Naomi Osaka is into the quarter-finals of a tournament for the first time in nearly two years.

The 26-year-old reached the last eight at the Qatar Open after her opponent Lesia Tsurenko withdrew before the match through injury.

Osaka returned to tennis last month after giving birth to her daughter Shai in July.

The run in Doha is her best since reaching the final of the Miami Open in April 2022, losing to Iga Swiatek.

A four-time major winner, Japan's Osaka will face an in-form Karolina Pliskova in the quarter-finals.

BBC

Back