The Younis Khan shot

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Frankly I could not believe he played that shot to a nothing delivery so early in his innings.

I have a lot of admiration for Younis but the shot he played in Pakistan's 1st innings wouldn't have been out of place in a local street match.

What was he thinking, what was he doing !

Last edited:
Frankly I could not believe he played that shot to a nothing delivery so early in his innings.

I have a lot of admiration for Younis but the shot he played in Pakistan's 1st innings wouldn't have been out of place in a local street match.

What was he thinking, what was he doing !

Pretty horrible. Needs to make up for it big time.

Was anyone seriously surprised lol?

Just looking at the pitch you knew we were batting with 1 less batsman.

Yet he is compared to Amla somehow.

Well you can say that for 6-7 shots played yesterday. Those dismissals were equal, if not worse than what YK did.

YK plays like that his first 30 odd balls. No feet movement and just stands and prods at deliveries hoping to middle them. He needs to get past the first 30 minutes of Tailender batting before he starts looking like a great batsman.
In subcontinent and UAE, that prodding and poking works. Little bounce and no seam movement means YK has a more chances of surviving the initial half hour jitters. When the ball is slightly deviating of the pitch or slightly swinging and the pitch is offering good bounce, he will more often than not fail.

I still expect YK to score 1 century in this NZ series. He is bound to come to batting on a beautiful day when the conditions are to his liking. If he can deal with the bounce, he will smash a big ton.

Still a great batsman in the past decade.

Poor poor shot, but it;s only been one innings so lets wait before we jump to conclusions.

Nothing surprising, he has never been good enough to score runs against lateral movement. His technique is too flawed to succeed in such circumstances.

He looked like a tailender in his first 6-7 innings in Eng as well and then made a double. He may score some runs later. I won't worry much based on 1 inning. Yah, it was not a responsible shot, but it happens.

he needs more time now to settle; a practice game before would have helped a lot

This Younis Khan is an enigma in ways more than one.

He is ATG in Asia, outside Asia, he plays a good inning after failing in 6-7 innings and then keeps his place in team for another year.

He played a bad shot yes but hes a class performer and has done well in new zealand before and am sure he will score big come the 2nd inns.

Nothing really new there as this is expected from him whenever he is outside of UAE

More of these to come in Australia :)

YK has the ability to score big in batting-favorable conditions. Which won us few matches.

Never saw him scoring in testing conditions and thats the reason he has the highest %age of failures among top order batsmen in the world.

Big scores helps him to keep his average respectable.

and after every big score he would say "had i not scored in this innings, i would have retired"

YK has the ability to score big in batting-favorable conditions. Which won us few matches.

Never saw him scoring in testing conditions and thats the reason he has the highest %age of failures among top order batsmen in the world.

Big scores helps him to keep his average respectable.

and after every big score he would say "had i not scored in this innings, i would have retired"

High percentage of failure only outside Asia. In Asia, he is very consistent.

It was one of the worst shots I have ever seen Younis Khan play in his illustrious career for Pakistan.

His dismissal by Shami in the 2015 WC was equally hilarious. Going to pull and just swinging the bat like a white flag only to provide a simple catch to Dhoni.

I was horrified.

Attrocious shot, but I will forgive him.

He was never naturally gifted batsman but at extremely hardworking one that has gone beyond most expectations.

He's a batsman that likes feeling bat on ball so early on in his innings he will be vulernable.

Too many batsmen were playing at shots they didn't need to.

Very unusual mode of dismissal for him, doesn't normally play such reckless shots early on in his innings.

High percentage of failure only outside Asia. In Asia, he is very consistent.

Carrier wise:

Failed to reach double figure: 27% of times

In Asia:

Failed to reach double figures: 25.76%

YK excels in batting conditions and you can bet your life for him to fail in testing conditions. He does not have the skills to play moving ball.

Carrier wise:

Failed to reach double figure: 27% of times

In Asia:

Failed to reach double figures: 25.76%

YK excels in batting conditions and you can bet your life for him to fail in testing conditions. He does not have the skills to play moving ball.

Lara failed to make double digit around 25% of times as well and that hardly means that he couldn't play in testing conditions.

It just shows that Lara and YK were not that consistent and higher average is due to big scores.

I am not saying that YK is gun player on testing conditions like green mamba or on rank turners. I don't recall him scoring many runs on those conditions, but calling YK a FTB is a bit too much. He can pay well on turning tracks and he can do it better than most batsmen.

I am not sure your stats are correct. He has 55 innings below 10, but he didn't bat for 10 innings out of those. If we remove those innings then he has 188 innings and 45 in single digit. makes it 23.9%.

Hopefully I got the math right here.

This wasn't quite fishing, he went for a big flashy cover drive. Normally he hops around and pokes outside off.

I was referring to 'reckless shots early in his innings' - he actually does play and miss a lot early in his innings, the fact that Pakistan play most of their Test cricket in the UAE disguises this fact.

Meh.. The moving ball is hard to play against. Batting first in these conditions is a disaster waiting to happen for Pakistani batsmen. No worries though.. if the pitch is better to bat on these same players will do well!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was referring to 'reckless shots early in his innings' - he actually does play and miss a lot early in his innings, the fact that Pakistan play most of their Test cricket in the UAE disguises this fact.

He doesn't normally go for the big cover drives early on, which is what I was referring to. He does play and miss due to his habit of poking outside off. When he's hopping around, he even pokes at deliveries well wide of off-stump.

Lol he'll score one big game in the NZ or Australia series but for the most part he'll struggle

He's 40 years old. It happens. He averages 50+ in New Zealand and will score in the second game, if not the second innings of this one.

No matter how great of a player he is, he's been prone to getting out in dumb ways for a while.

Sad

His career at the end of this double tour will end as it was always meant to end.

Most likely in a lot of tears

I am not sure your stats are correct. He has 55 innings below 10, but he didn't bat for 10 innings out of those. If we remove those innings then he has 188 innings and 45 in single digit. makes it 23.9%.

Hopefully I got the math right here.

I am sure, my stats were correct cause you got it wrong. Below is the list of innings he got out in single digits. and those are (now) the 54 innings where he got out with single digit score:

YK-001.jpg

and below is the list of innings (143) where he scored more than 9.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...ns;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

as he was also Not Out in two innings with less than 10, so its only fair that we add those in total innings but not add to 54 as he had the potential to score more than 9, hence improving his average. Total innings would be: 143+2+54= 199

and bottom line would be: 54*100/199= ~27% and ~30% out of Asia.

(additionally, YK failed to reach 5, 19% of times)

You are right about Lara, however we need to consider that Lara was an opener and was in different class :))

This stat for few other batsmen:

Ponting: 24%
Kallis: 22%
Dravid: 22%

Back