"There will never be another cricketer like Sachin Tendulkar" : Saqlain Mushtaq

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Speaking exclusively to PakPassion.net, former Pakistani Off Spinner Saqlain Mushtaq spoke at length about the resumption of cricket ties between India and Pakistan and the retirement from one day cricket of Sachin Tendulkar.

The Resumption of India and Pakistan Cricket

It’s fantastic news that India and Pakistan are on the verge of a limited overs series and I sincerely hope that this is the start of regular cricket between the two teams. Cricket can help to ease relations between the two countries and there’s nothing quite like the Indo-Pak cricketing rivalry. The Ashes is also a huge rivalry but I think India versus Pakistan is a bigger cricketing rivalry.

Benefit of Indo-Pak Matches for Young Cricketers

India and Pakistan have produced many great young cricketers over the years and playing against each other will only help in the development of cricketing talent in both India and Pakistan. The levels of passion, intensity and pride in these matches is second to none and competing against each other in these kind of matches can be a great boost for young cricketers from both countries and definitely help young cricketers from both nations in their development.

A Future Test Series between India and Pakistan

Test cricket is the real deal. Limited overs cricket is entertaining but cannot be compared to Test cricket. Connoisseurs of the game know that Test cricket is the number one format and that is the format that India and Pakistan need to start playing against each other in regularly.

I have nothing against T20s or the fifty over format but Test cricket is the special format of the game and this is the format that I would like to see the Pakistani and Indian cricketers facing each other in on a regular basis soon. Fans from both countries will be happy to see their teams competing in the shorter format in India in the next week or so, but ideally we all want to see Test cricket between India and Pakistan.

Playing Cricket in India

I always enjoyed playing cricket in India. It was always a fantastic experience, the passion of the crowds in India and Pakistan is second to none. Whenever I played in India the crowds were noisy and of course supported the home team, but also at most venues the Indian fans appreciated good cricket from the opposition. I’m sure the current crop of Pakistani cricketers in India at the moment will really enjoy the experience of playing in India. I would urge the Pakistani cricketers to soak up the atmosphere at the grounds in India and to savour the occasions.

Sachin Tendulkar’s retirement from ODIs

The world of one day cricket has suffered a huge loss with Sachin Tendulkar’s retirement from one day internationals. There will never be another cricketer like Sachin Tendulkar. He’s been at the top of the game for twenty three years which is simply amazing and the way he has conducted himself throughout his career has been exemplary and a lesson to all young cricketers around the world.

Tendulkar has been an icon not just in India but all around the world and I’ve always held him in high regard and have always had the utmost respect for him. But all good things come to end, nothing goes on forever. It’s like weather seasons, summer replaces spring and is subsequently replaced by autumn and then winter arrives and the winter of Sachin’s career has now arrived. He will not be forgotten though when he does call it a day from all formats.

Sachin leaves one day cricket with some great memories for fans all around the world, some brilliant and unforgettable moments that his fans will always cherish. His array of stroke play has been phenomenal, he has had every shot in the book and wherever he has played he has been quite rightly adored.

Sachin’s retirement from one day internationals must have been a well thought out decision involving team mates, friends, family and of course the selectors. I think it’s the right decision and it will benefit Sachin in Test cricket and also the Indian one day cricket team as a whole in one day internationals. Sachin has served his country well and he can bow out from one day cricket with his head held high. He has been Indian cricket over the years and he can look back at his one day career with great pride.

I feel honoured to have played cricket in an era when Sachin Tendulkar has been playing cricket. It’s been an honour to have bowled to Sachin. I’ve dismissed him, been hit for four, hit for six by Sachin, beaten him with deliveries. He’s out thought me at the crease and sometimes I’ve got the better of him and it’s always been an absolute pleasure.

I’ve always got on very well with Sachin and when I was playing for Sussex alongside Mushtaq Ahmed, the touring Indian team was playing a three day match against the County. Most of the Indian squad had dinner at Mushtaq’s house every night during that match and I was present too. We had a few great evenings with the Indian squad in Sussex, all sat on the floor eating and talking about past matches that we had played in and it was an honour to be in the company of Sachin, memories that I still cherish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx saqlain bhai . all good things have to come to an end . And we will never ever love a cricketer like we loved tendu

How many times have we heard an ex Cricketer saying that " I am privileged to have played in era of Sachin Tendulkar " ? Just goes to show the immense respect that the Great Man commands . Even the fans of Last two decades are priviledged to see Sachin Tendulkar at his peak .

LEGEND .

great tribute from a great cricketer to a great cricketer

Excellent tribute and fully deserved I have nothing but respect for Tendulkar.

It takes a great to recognise another.Thank you Saqi bhai for the kind words.

Always great to speak with Saqlain.

He spoke about Sachin with pride and with passion.

It was easy to realise that the compliments coming from Saqlain were genuine and heartfelt.

Very nice words from Saqi. I'm sure most that have played against Tendulkar feel the same way about him.

Sachin played 3 top spinners in his peak. Warne, Murali and Saqi.
Saqlain bhai troubled him more than other 2 imo.
Nice words from him. :)

Good to see such honest opinions from past players now a days,very rear things.

Too bad Saqlain stopped playing at a very young age...we would have some amazing contests between Sachin and Saq.
Nice to hear those words...

But Saqlain's opinion is invalid because Sachin played on flat roads in the SC and one time his legs shook and Viv was much better truestorybro.

But Saqlain's opinion is invalid because Sachin played on flat roads in the SC and one time his legs shook and Viv was much better truestorybro.

LOLZ....:D

OK you mean that no other batsman played on same FLAT ROAD OF SC otherwise they would have been similar to Sachin in terms of runs and everything.....

Come on.

On topic :
Saqlain bhai is right and I love the respect shown here from one of the best cricketer from Pakistan.

LOLZ....:D

OK you mean that no other batsman played on same FLAT ROAD OF SC otherwise they would have been similar to Sachin in terms of runs and everything.....

Come on.

On topic :
Saqlain bhai is right and I love the respect shown here from one of the best cricketer from Pakistan.

he is being sarcastic

This Interview and the last one of Ehsan Mani quoted by NDTV and credited to PP.

COngrats and Well Done Saj Bhai.

As I watch this pathetic display by Indians currently, once again I find myself paying tribute to the greatest batsmen of all time. He played and adapted to all conditions like no other batsmen, his batting alone made people forget how bad India was during the time when he was at his peak, he also had the ability to bring a nation of 1 billion to a standstill with a flick of his bat... Cant believe how lucky India was to have him, there will never be another like him............

He means that there will not be another cricketer like Don Bradman. Everyone knows Bradman is the greatest batsman of all time.

The English have a saying: "Never is a long time". Better players than Tendulkar will emerge.

The English have a saying: "Never is a long time". Better players than Tendulkar will emerge.

That may be, but very few players actually manage to play as long as Tendulkar did. So in terms of stats, its probably really really hard to get close to some of his records. In terms of talent, I'm sure it's possible though.

England has not contributed a world class player with the exception of Ian Botham. Most of their legends earn thier fame through county cricket..not international cricket.

I went to watch the 5th ODI at Feroz Shah Kotla - Delhi last week.

Kohli without a doubt was the main attraction. People cheered him. People ran to find the best spot to catch a glimpse of him.

But i have to say this.

I have seen Tendulkar as well. The aura he carried and the response he got from the fans, Kohli is still nowhere close to it. Tendulkar had mad following. It was outrageous. Kohli's following is alright. Not God level yet. Probably never will.

Saqlain is right. There will never be another Sachin in that sense.

Saqis is right. Sachin is the best batsman of all time let there be no doubt about that. Hope he'll be a Pakistani is his next lifetime as per Hindu belief.

Yes, there would be no one who could be so selfish in cricketing terms like sachin ever. Exaggerated stats due to all those selfish innings he played. Kohli is the greatest batsman in the last 10 years, and maybe the greatest batsman in odi ever. Sachin doesn’t come close to him.

Yes there never was and never will be another athlete in any sport who will score that many inconsequential runs/points.

Teenda's always getting praised by our players but he seems to have a sullen attitude towards Pak cricket and its players.

Yes, there would be no one who could be so selfish in cricketing terms like sachin ever. Exaggerated stats due to all those selfish innings he played. Kohli is the greatest batsman in the last 10 years, and maybe the greatest batsman in odi ever. Sachin doesn’t come close to him.

Let's not get carried away, no one comes close to King Richards in ODI's.

I went to watch the 5th ODI at Feroz Shah Kotla - Delhi last week.

Kohli without a doubt was the main attraction. People cheered him. People ran to find the best spot to catch a glimpse of him.

But i have to say this.

I have seen Tendulkar as well. The aura he carried and the response he got from the fans, Kohli is still nowhere close to it. Tendulkar had mad following. It was outrageous. Kohli's following is alright. Not God level yet. Probably never will.

Saqlain is right. There will never be another Sachin in that sense.

It's also because SRT was carrying the whole team on his teenager shoulders. India had some excellent players like Azharuddin etc. but everyone knew that once SRT is out: game's (almost) over for India.

VK could break all of Sachin's records easily (at current rate). Unlike SRT of 90s; VK's team is in a different league tho.

A small food for thought: imagine Lara/SRT/Sanath at their prime but with current ODI rules... Could they also average in 60s like Kohli?

What is all this hating on Sachin? You don't score the most number of runs for no reason. We are talking about Sachin the batsman here not the person. As a person rightfully he's not the most liked amongst Pak fans where as Virat is much more polite.

Teenda's always getting praised by our players but he seems to have a sullen attitude towards Pak cricket and its players.
(This is a political comment so apologies in advance) if he praised Pakistan openly, Bhakts are capable of attacking him...

What is all this hating on Sachin? You don't score the most number of runs for no reason. We are talking about Sachin the batsman here not the person. As a person rightfully he's not the most liked amongst Pak fans where as Virat is much more polite.

(This is a political comment so apologies in advance) if he praised Pakistan openly, Bhakts are capable of attacking him...

A player of his stature and standing in the game doesn't need to come out with the "time to beat Pakistan again" crap. He could be a little bit more gracious like Kohli and Dhoni, the bhakts haven't came out attacking on them for it.

A player of his stature and standing in the game doesn't need to come out with the "time to beat Pakistan again" crap. He could be a little bit more gracious like Kohli and Dhoni, the bhakts haven't came out attacking on them for it.

Some not so great former Pak Cricketer should tell Sachin "it's time to do another Champions Trophy final on India!":uakmal Sachin did not say anything too offensive in my opinion.

What does Saqlain know about cricket?

All Tendulkar has done all his cricketing life was to bash hapless mediocre bowers and score zillions of meaningless runs.

Some not so great former Pak Cricketer should tell Sachin "it's time to do another Champions Trophy final on India!":uakmal Sachin did not say anything too offensive in my opinion.
People get easily offended at anything these days. Our people are not too different in this regard.

Kohli can do everything that Tendulkar could and then also win games.

10x better than what Tendulkar was and will be when Kholi retires but the point is there will never be another Indian or any other cricketer who will gain this much admiration as Tendulkar did world wide. For crying out loud, people prayed to him as if he was a cricket god. That's where the line is for admiration for Tendulkar. Kholi's admiration is nowhere close to that. Second best regarding admiration in India would be Dhoni.

10x better than what Tendulkar was and will be when Kholi retires but the point is there will never be another Indian or any other cricketer who will gain this much admiration as Tendulkar did world wide. For crying out loud, people prayed to him as if he was a cricket god. That's where the line is for admiration for Tendulkar. Kholi's admiration is nowhere close to that. Second best regarding admiration in India would be Dhoni.
He has a long way to go in tests. He is not there yet.

Embarrassed to sledge Sachin Tendulkar, never did it again after his question, recalls Saqlain Mushtaq

Saqlain Mushtaq has revisited the time when he was left embarrassed by Sachin Tendulkar when the latter questioned him why was he sledging despite him never misbehaving with him. Mushtaq has further added that he apologised to the former Indian player and never even dared to sledge him again.

A few days ago, Saqlain Mushtaq recalled a tale of how Anil Kumble, whom he referred as an elder brother, helped him get a good eye doctor in London and how during that time, Indian and Pakistani players share a good bond with each other. As Sachin Tendulkar celebrated his 47th Birthday on Friday, the legendary Pakistani spinner further narrated an incident from the Sahara Cup in Canada, when he was left speechless when the Indian asked him why was he sledging him.

"I was new when I sledged him for the first time. If I recall correctly, it was the 1997 edition. Sachin quietly came up to me and said 'I never misbehaved with you, why are you misbehaving with me'? I got so embarrassed that I did not know what to say to him. He said to me 'I rate you high as a person and player'. I was so embarrassed that I never sledged him again," Saqlain told PTI.

"I can't tell you what I said to him but I apologised to him after the game. Thereafter, even when he was smashing me all over, I never thought of sledging him," recalled the 43-year-old.

One of the most memorable battles between the duo came during the Chennai Test of 1999 when Pakistan secured a 12-run win despite 136 runs from Tendulkar. The Pakistani team were given a standing ovation by the Chennai crowd, one of the finest crowd gesture on a field of cricket. Mushtaq stated that god was on his side during that Test and he managed to get rid of the Master Blaster.

"In that 1999 Test, no words were exchanged. We both were determined and focused to win the game for our countries. We put our heart and soul in it (on day four). I consider myself lucky that my name was attached to Sachin's cricketing career with that match. The only difference that day was that God was on my side. Otherwise, the way he was playing, it was unbelievable. The ball was reversing but he played Wasim Akram with such confidence.

"I dismissed him multiple times but he also took me to the cleaners. Even on that day four in Chennai, he scored a hundred in a difficult situation. It was like a dangal going on between us. The eye is god gifted. Every batsman sees things differently, some pick faster than others. Sachin's eye was razor-sharp. Many times, even before I took my stride, he knew what I was going to ball, whether it was a Doosra, top-spin or conventional off-spin, his foot positioning was just flawless. Rahul (Dravid) too was very good, Azhar paaji also," Mushtaq recalled.

https://sportscafe.in/cricket/artic...in-after-his-question-recalls-saqlain-mushtaq

Big heart from saqlain to speak about sachin in such glowing terms :afridi

Big heart from saqlain to speak about sachin in such glowing terms :afridi
It doesn't require a big heart to speak in glowing terms about someone like Tendulkar, he commands that respect from every sane person.

First of all, Saqlain, who is lovingly called Saqi in India is one of the nicest genuine guys to ever play the game. Much respect from across the border.

Saqi-Tendulkar is an underrated rivalry.

He got him out a few times, Tendulkar also took him apart some times. I loved that battle between two genuine and masters of their craft.

I get nostalgic thinking of those times and the rivalries that existed.

Where do you find a Tendulkar-Saqi rivalry in modern day cricket. It doesn't exist.

Saqlain lost the edge after his injury. I do not dig into stats but I am sure, his stats prior to his knee trouble would be the best of all spinners in ODIs. He is the best spinner world has ever seen in LOIs - In my opinion, a fit Saqlain is a must in all time ODIs (considering we are not taking chuckers into account).

Embarrassed to sledge Sachin Tendulkar, never did it again after his question, recalls Saqlain Mushtaq

Saqlain Mushtaq has revisited the time when he was left embarrassed by Sachin Tendulkar when the latter questioned him why was he sledging despite him never misbehaving with him. Mushtaq has further added that he apologised to the former Indian player and never even dared to sledge him again.

A few days ago, Saqlain Mushtaq recalled a tale of how Anil Kumble, whom he referred as an elder brother, helped him get a good eye doctor in London and how during that time, Indian and Pakistani players share a good bond with each other. As Sachin Tendulkar celebrated his 47th Birthday on Friday, the legendary Pakistani spinner further narrated an incident from the Sahara Cup in Canada, when he was left speechless when the Indian asked him why was he sledging him.

"I was new when I sledged him for the first time. If I recall correctly, it was the 1997 edition. Sachin quietly came up to me and said 'I never misbehaved with you, why are you misbehaving with me'? I got so embarrassed that I did not know what to say to him. He said to me 'I rate you high as a person and player'. I was so embarrassed that I never sledged him again," Saqlain told PTI.

"I can't tell you what I said to him but I apologised to him after the game. Thereafter, even when he was smashing me all over, I never thought of sledging him," recalled the 43-year-old.

One of the most memorable battles between the duo came during the Chennai Test of 1999 when Pakistan secured a 12-run win despite 136 runs from Tendulkar. The Pakistani team were given a standing ovation by the Chennai crowd, one of the finest crowd gesture on a field of cricket. Mushtaq stated that god was on his side during that Test and he managed to get rid of the Master Blaster.

"In that 1999 Test, no words were exchanged. We both were determined and focused to win the game for our countries. We put our heart and soul in it (on day four). I consider myself lucky that my name was attached to Sachin's cricketing career with that match. The only difference that day was that God was on my side. Otherwise, the way he was playing, it was unbelievable. The ball was reversing but he played Wasim Akram with such confidence.

"I dismissed him multiple times but he also took me to the cleaners. Even on that day four in Chennai, he scored a hundred in a difficult situation. It was like a dangal going on between us. The eye is god gifted. Every batsman sees things differently, some pick faster than others. Sachin's eye was razor-sharp. Many times, even before I took my stride, he knew what I was going to ball, whether it was a Doosra, top-spin or conventional off-spin, his foot positioning was just flawless. Rahul (Dravid) too was very good, Azhar paaji also," Mushtaq recalled.

https://sportscafe.in/cricket/artic...in-after-his-question-recalls-saqlain-mushtaq

Most of the world's bowlers soon realised it was a waste of time sledging Tendulkar because he wouldn't bite and it made no difference to him at all whatever the bowlers said.

Word soon spread that you were wasting your time sledging Sachin.

Back