Tier Ranks of Batsmen

mominsaigol

ODI Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Theirs been many threads such as kohli vs babar and other match ups, so I decided to separate batsmen in tiers. I can't include every batsmen but I'll give some examples.

S tier: Pretty much top 10 to 15 of all time

Kohli, Sachin, Viv, Don Bradman. This is where these guys rank.

A tier: Atg's but a solid tier below the S tier

Rohit Sharma, Kumar Sangakara, AB De Devillers, Zaheer Abass, Gilchrist

B tier: Great batsmen of the game but not ATG's

Yousaf, Jack Kallis, Shane Watson(Prime), Butler(Prime), Quinton etc

C tier: Good batsmen in general and consistent performers

Babar Azam(Prime), Kane Williamson, Steve Smith, Joe root, Mahela Jayawardena, Shai Hope, Younis Khan( If this was test, put him at B tier), KL Rahul

D tier: Occasionally good batsmen, have a few noteworthy innings but otherwise their average

Ravindra( Could become great later), Mark Chapman, Gurbaz,, Misbah Ul Haq( Could be lower based of odi, but based of test should be higher),

E tier (Poor bats, but have a noteworthy innings or 2)

Rizwan, Umar akmal, Chandimal, Imam ul Haq, Shanto, Marlon Samuels

F tier (Poor bats in general)

Asif Ali, Haider Ali, Josh Inglis etc.

Is this all formats or ODIs? I would not have Sangakkara that high in the list for ODIs and instead replace him with MSD.

I feel you consistently miss Ricky Ponting who is top tier.

Lara Sachin Bradman Viv Ponting Gavaskar Border.

Kohli not yet.

Theirs been many threads such as kohli vs babar and other match ups, so I decided to separate batsmen in tiers. I can't include every batsmen but I'll give some examples.

S tier: Pretty much top 10 to 15 of all time

Kohli, Sachin, Viv, Don Bradman. This is where these guys rank.

A tier: Atg's but a solid tier below the S tier

Rohit Sharma, Kumar Sangakara, AB De Devillers, Zaheer Abass, Gilchrist

B tier: Great batsmen of the game but not ATG's

Yousaf, Jack Kallis, Shane Watson(Prime), Butler(Prime), Quinton etc

C tier: Good batsmen in general and consistent performers

Babar Azam(Prime), Kane Williamson, Steve Smith, Joe root, Mahela Jayawardena, Shai Hope, Younis Khan( If this was test, put him at B tier), KL Rahul

D tier: Occasionally good batsmen, have a few noteworthy innings but otherwise their average

Ravindra( Could become great later), Mark Chapman, Gurbaz,, Misbah Ul Haq( Could be lower based of odi, but based of test should be higher),

E tier (Poor bats, but have a noteworthy innings or 2)

Rizwan, Umar akmal, Chandimal, Imam ul Haq, Shanto, Marlon Samuels

F tier (Poor bats in general)

Asif Ali, Haider Ali, Josh Inglis etc.
There can't be a single list for all formats.

Is this all formats or ODIs? I would not have Sangakkara that high in the list for ODIs and instead replace him with MSD.
All formats, otherwise misbah would be lower for odi, much lower.

Same with Sangakara. He'd be lower if it were odi

Dhoni ranks in A tier. He's easily one of the greatest finishers ever alongside Micheal bevan.

Sangakara shpuld be lower for odi only. All formats he ranks at A though.

As I said I can't include every batsmen ever, this is just a tier of examples.

Only in LOIs, Zaheer is overrated, Riz is under rated. Zaheer is in "B" bracket and Riz is a better batsman than E rated

I feel you consistently miss Ricky Ponting who is top tier.

Lara Sachin Bradman Viv Ponting Gavaskar Border.

Kohli not yet.
Bro, I'm not ranking every single batsmen ever. I said the top are just examples. You can ask me where they rank though.

Pointing ranks in S tier easily, so does Lara.

Also yes kohli ranks in S tier lol. He'd still be averaging 42 to 44 with 85 SR and would be a great chaser if he played on sachin's one ball era. Kohli would eat 2003 wasim akram and waqar younis alive.

He'd only struggle against prime wasim, and assuming waqar with ball tampering would do those banana inswing yorkers then He'd struggle.

2003 was end of rope wasim and waqar.

He isn't struggling against the bowlers that Sachin faced besides mcgrath, Shane Warne etc. He'd be in the same rank as Sachin if they played together.

Only in LOIs, Zaheer is overrated, Riz is under rated. Zaheer is in "B" bracket and Riz is a better batsman than E rated
Zaheer was the 3rd best bat of his era and easily top 5, just overshadowed by sunny and viv.

He was unmatched against spin. In odi he wasn't that bad either. But had a low sr which for his era was okay.

Riz is not better then E, He has 1 or 2 noteworthy innings like the innings he played for the 10 wicket win against India. Rest all his performances are minnow accumulations. The world cup game, was a toothless bowling attack. He got exposed against quality bowling attack very badly. All his 3 100's are against a d string Australia and a Sri Lankan attack whose pacers and spinners are injured. Sri lanka are playing with their c string this tourney lol.

His only innings against top quality attacks was the India game in t20 10 wicket win, and some quality NZ top tier bashing in t20 such as him playing a match winning innings in the t20 semi final against West Indies.

Again these are 1 or 2 noteworthy performances that deserve praise.

Zaheer was the 3rd best bat of his era and easily top 5, just overshadowed by sunny and viv.

He was unmatched against spin. In odi he wasn't that bad either. But had a low sr which for his era was okay.

Riz is not better then E, He has 1 or 2 noteworthy innings like the innings he played for the 10 wicket win against India. Rest all his performances are minnow accumulations. The world cup game, was a toothless bowling attack. He got exposed against quality bowling attack very badly. All his 3 100's are against a d string Australia and a Sri Lankan attack whose pacers and spinners are injured. Sri lanka are playing with their c string this tourney lol.

His only innings against top quality attacks was the India game in t20 10 wicket win, and some quality NZ top tier bashing in t20 such as him playing a match winning innings in the t20 semi final against West Indies.

Again these are 1 or 2 noteworthy performances that deserve praise.
You're seriously rating Zaheer above Greg Chappell?

Here's what you said -

My bad, typo.

I meant top 5 only. However tbf, Zaheer was > Chappel in odi and Asian condtions.

In test chappel had the hunger for longer scores and was superior.

Rankings A+ : Kohli, Rohit, Root, Warner, DE Kock
A: Babar, Williamson, Brook, Gill
B+ : KL Rahul, Conway, Rachin, Smith, Bairstow, Markarm
B: Buttler, Pandya, Jadeja, Shafiq, Rizwan
C: Imam, Saud, Liton,

There should be a tier for chokers and midget mentality players you can ad ab de villiers, babar and some other players in that rank

My bad, typo.

I meant top 5 only. However tbf, Zaheer was > Chappel in odi and Asian condtions.

In test chappel had the hunger for longer scores and was superior.
Greg Chappell, in my opinion, is the second greatest Aussie batsman after The Don, just a shade ahead of Ponting.

There should be a tier for chokers and midget mentality players you can ad ab de villiers, babar and some other players in that rank
How is ab a chocker? In 2015, the entire team chocked except him lol 😂.

Rankings A+ : Kohli, Rohit, Root, Warner, DE Kock
A: Babar, Williamson, Brook, Gill
B+ : KL Rahul, Conway, Rachin, Smith, Bairstow, Markarm
B: Buttler, Pandya, Jadeja, Shafiq, Rizwan
C: Imam, Saud, Liton,
On what basis is Root in the same tier as kohli?

And how is rizwan in the same tier as pandya? 💀

Then where to put Rizwan ain't he achieved no.1 rankings:)))
Not this stats and ranks argument again. This is such a done to death argument. Sky is no 1 in t20, not rizzu, and sky is useless in odi.

Firstly their different formats. Secondly rankings are a poor metric to measure. Their based of points. The person who plays more and bats more is ranked ahead. It doesn't account for batting positions or how many matches a player misses. By your logic babar shpuld be ranked > Kohli because he's no 1 ranked, but obviously the ranking doesn't account that it was achieved against B teams and that kphli missed 18 odi's from 2019 to 2023 whereas babar missed 0.

You're betraying your own logic and reasoning
Greg Chappell, in my opinion, is the second greatest Aussie batsman after The Don, just a shade ahead of Ponting.
You're probably right, I don't know much about the old era so I'm going on a limb and for zaheer I went on the Asian Bradman title. But you're more knowledgeable then me about the old era 🫡.

Not this stats and ranks argument again. This is such a done to death argument. Sky is no 1 in t20, not rizzu, and sky is useless in odi.

Firstly their different formats. Secondly rankings are a poor metric to measure. Their based of points. The person who plays more and bats more is ranked ahead. It doesn't account for batting positions or how many matches a player misses. By your logic babar shpuld be ranked > Kohli because he's no 1 ranked, but obviously the ranking doesn't account that it was achieved against B teams and that kphli missed 18 odi's from 2019 to 2023 whereas babar missed 0.

You're betraying your own logic and reasoning

You're probably right, I don't know much about the old era so I'm going on a limb and for zaheer I went on the Asian Bradman title. But you're more knowledgeable then me about the old era 🫡.
I wont rate Rizwan highly most 9 out of 20 times he has choked in crunch games, rankings and average mean Jack if you cannot stand up when it matters for me Marlon Samuels 》 Rizwan

I wont rate Rizwan highly most 9 out of 20 times he has choked in crunch games, rankings and average mean Jack if you cannot stand up when it matters for me Marlon Samuels 》 Rizwan
Then why put him at pandya and butler's Level 💀

Bro, I'm not ranking every single batsmen ever. I said the top are just examples. You can ask me where they rank though.

Pointing ranks in S tier easily, so does Lara.

Also yes kohli ranks in S tier lol. He'd still be averaging 42 to 44 with 85 SR and would be a great chaser if he played on sachin's one ball era. Kohli would eat 2003 wasim akram and waqar younis alive.

He'd only struggle against prime wasim, and assuming waqar with ball tampering would do those banana inswing yorkers then He'd struggle.

2003 was end of rope wasim and waqar.

He isn't struggling against the bowlers that Sachin faced besides mcgrath, Shane Warne etc. He'd be in the same rank as Sachin if they played together.
Prime kphli will struggle vs high quality spin like Murali and Warne. 100%. His game is not so great vs spin. In tests but odi depends on what rules. Current rules he would do well.

Virat would have major issues vs prime wasim. Bad match up
Think of amir but on steroids and more pace and skill

McGrath vs kohli yes McGrath takes this easy. Outside off probing length. Goneeeeeee.

Easy wicket.
He would also struggle vs Ambrose and possibly Donald.

Would smash the rest.

40 to 42 average sounds about right.

Prime kphli will struggle vs high quality spin like Murali and Warne. 100%. His game is not so great vs spin. In tests but odi depends on what rules. Current rules he would do well.

Virat would have major issues vs prime wasim. Bad match up
Think of amir but on steroids and more pace and skill

McGrath vs kohli yes McGrath takes this easy. Outside off probing length. Goneeeeeee.

Easy wicket.
He would also struggle vs Ambrose and possibly Donald.

Would smash the rest.

40 to 42 average sounds about right.

Bro prime wasim would tear Sachin a new one, prime wasim was unplayable lol.

Mcgrath in prime murdered an ATG Indian side which included Sachin and finished his 10 overs with 4 wickets and only 8 runs conceded 😂😂.

Murli and Warne on spinning wickets made everyone their bunnies.

Sachin never doninated these guys on their day. Mcgrath humbled him and the entire atg Indian side.

So obviously kohli isn't doing any better. But it's not like Sachin murdered these guys at their primes either lol.

The truth is in the one ball era and when ball tampering was in play certain deliveries were unplayable. Bumrah in these conditons would be unplayable and superior to everyone minus wasim, mcgrath, Joel Garner and just a few others lol.

Those banana turns and banana swings aren't possible today.

Mcgrath in prime murdered an ATG Indian side which included Sachin and finished his 10 overs with 4 wickets and only 8 runs conceded 😂😂.

Sachin never doninated these guys on their day. Mcgrath humbled him and the entire atg Indian side.

So obviously kohli isn't doing any better. But it's not like Sachin murdered these guys at their primes either lol.

The truth is in the one ball era and when ball tampering was in play certain deliveries were unplayable. Bumrah in these conditons would be unplayable and superior to everyone minus wasim, mcgrath, Joel Garner and just a few others lol.

Lol I never disagreed about Sachin struggling vs them though? Haha

Yea I agree with your analysis overall.

I think bumrah would be much better than Waqar easily. Ball tampering allowed ? Lol he would rip batsmen into shreds.

Bumrah would be very close to wasim level to be honest.

Prime wasim vs Sachin I believe he only averaged 32 in games wasim played however he was 16 in the first 2 tests.

Both have horrible record in India. I recall 4th or 5th day pitch turning square and SRT taking Warne for many sixes against the spin. I think it was slog sweep to mid on .

What, wasim rarely dismissed sachin

Warne and murali used to get murdered in india

These tiers make zero sense. If it is Limited Overs only Don Bradman shouldn’t be there, if it is Test cricket only then you can’t have Smith and Root in C and Buttler and Watson in B.

If it is all format then it still makes zero sense. There is no logic behind any of this. Just random names.

Very disappointed with this thread.

These tiers make zero sense. If it is Limited Overs only Don Bradman shouldn’t be there, if it is Test cricket only then you can’t have Smith and Root in C and Buttler and Watson in B.

If it is all format then it still makes zero sense. There is no logic behind any of this. Just random names.

You can make your own tier list based of various formats or all formats.

I'd love to see yours XD

Here's what Warne said in 2004 -

"Sachin Tendulkar is, in my time, the best player without doubt - daylight second, Brian Lara third."
Great players regard their peers in high esteem don't get serious with that

For India :-

Tier 1 (A+)
Sachin, Kohli, Gavaskar

Tier 2 (A)
Dravid, Rohit, Sehwag

Tier 3 (B+)
Azharuddin, Dhoni , Ganguly

Tier 4 (B)
Yuvraj, Dhawan , Gambhir

Tier 5 (c)
Raina, KL Rahul, Iyer

For Rest of the world :-

Tier 1
Bradman, Lara, Kallis

Tier 2
Devilliers, Sangakkara, Williamson

Tier 3
Pietersen, Hussey, G Smith

Tier 4
Babar, Bell, Jayawardene

Tier 5
Fleming, du plessis, Tamim

I don't think this works, you can create a list per format, Kohli is not Tier 1 (A+) in tests. Gavaskar is not Tier 1 (A+) in ODI's

There should be a rated R category batsman for any situation, all formats

R category
Sachin, Kohli, Hayden, Jayasuriya, DeVilliers, KP

Elite tier: Bradman

Second tier: Viv, Tendulkar, Rohit, Kohli, Jayasuriya, Ricky Ponting, Sangakara, Mahela Jayawardene, Kallis

Third tier: Inzamam, Saeed Anwar, Ganguly, Ijaz Ahmed, David Warner, Mark Waugh, Steve Waugh, Damien Martyn, Dhoni

Fourth tier: Babar Azam, Michael Clarke, McCullum, Chris Gayle, Yuvraj

Fifth tier: Everybody else.

Second tier: Viv, Tendulkar, Rohit, Kohli, Jayasuriya, Ricky Ponting, Sangakara, Mahela Jayawardene, Kallis

Third tier: Inzamam, Saeed Anwar, Ganguly, Ijaz Ahmed, David Warner, Mark Waugh, Steve Waugh, Damien Martyn, Dhoni

Lara is more elite than Ponting , Jayasuria and Jaya.

Also no way is Vivi and Sachin in same tier as Jayawardene.

Sachin Lara Ponting Viv are their own tier.

Lara is more elite than Ponting , Jayasuria and Jaya.

Also no way is Vivi and Sachin in same tier as Jayawardene.

Sachin Lara Ponting Viv are their own tier.

Forgot about Lara. There are so many players. Hard to remember all names.

Lara should be in same tier as Tendulkar. I agree.

This is probs my goofiest thread, no clue why I structured it this way. I should have placed different tiers for test, odi and t20

Forgot about Lara. There are so many players. Hard to remember all names.

Lara should be in same tier as Tendulkar. I agree.

Overall these are the best batsmen I agree.
But i have seen. highlights of few others and interviews of best bowlers facing them:

Tier 1:Sunny Gavaskar, Allan Border
Tier 2: Martin Crowe, Zaheer Abbas , Miandad, Desmond Haynes,
Tier 3: Gooch , Cook and Root, Kane Williamson

I’m not into as much cricket as i was but these were very good too.

Overall these are the best batsmen I agree.
But i have seen. highlights of few others and interviews of best bowlers facing them:

Tier 1:Sunny Gavaskar, Allan Border
Tier 2: Martin Crowe, Zaheer Abbas , Miandad, Desmond Haynes,
Tier 3: Gooch , Cook and Root, Kane Williamson

I’m not into as much cricket as i was but these were very good too.

Never seen Gavaskar, Border, Crowe, Zaheer, Gary Sobers, Holding, Viv etc. live.

I watch from 90's. I mostly know cricketers from 90's till present.

Top tier ATGs ( from 1990 onwards):-

Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Ricky Ponting
Jacques Kallis
Virat Kohli
Steve Smith

Shane Warne
Glenn McGrath
Wasim Akram
Curtly Ambrose
Allan Donald
Muttiah Muralidharan
Dale Steyn

Potentially in couple of years:-

Joe Root
Pat Cummins
Jasprit Bumrah

Prime wasim could not get majrekar out and win a single test at home against India in 1989. Sachin's debut series.

Now before you say pitches yada yada, so what's the point of being so prime that you cannot take the pitch out of equation?

Lmao, there is a reason Wasim NEVER got Sachin even ONCE out in 6-7 tests they played together. Sachin owns Wasim's behinf 7 days a week starting from Sunday.

Agree.

Extremely low IQ thread.

Prime wasim could not get majrekar out and win a single test at home against India in 1989. Sachin's debut series.

Now before you say pitches yada yada, so what's the point of being so prime that you cannot take the pitch out of equation?

Lmao, there is a reason Wasim NEVER got Sachin even ONCE out in 6-7 tests they played together. Sachin owns Wasim's behinf 7 days a week starting from Sunday.
I made that comment on Oct 25th 2023?

Back