Post of the Week
OK, I reckon something like:

1. The Beatles

2. The Rolling Stones

3. The Who

4. Led Zep

5. The Clash

6. Radiohead

7. Fleetwood Mac (admittedly 40% Yank but majority British)

8. Genesis

9. The Kinks

10. The Jam

Well?

No Pink Floyd, are you kidding? I'd have them second to the Beatles.

1.Arctic monkeys
2.queen
3.coldplay
4.led zeppelin
5.the rolling stones
6.pink Floyd
7.Beatles
8.radiohead
9.oasis

I would not put genesnooze in there over Pink Floyd and Queen... heck I'd even rather listen to Coldplay...

OK, I reckon something like:

1. The Beatles

2. The Rolling Stones

3. The Who

4. Led Zep

5. The Clash

6. Radiohead

7. Fleetwood Mac (admittedly 40% Yank but majority British)

8. Genesis

9. The Kinks

10. The Jam

Well?

Here's my list:

1.The Beatles
2. Iron Maiden
3. Led Zep
4. Radiohead
5. Black Sabbath
6. The Who
7. Uriah Heep
8. Deep Purple
9. Oasis
10. Rolling Stones

Beatles
Stones
Zeppelin
Sabbath
Floyd
Def Leppard
QUEEN
COLDPLAY
Depeche Mode?? I guess they can be considered Rock
Duran Duran

No Pink Floyd, are you kidding? I'd have them second to the Beatles.

Ooops, completely forgot about them, and Queen too. :35:

OK here is my revised version:

1. The Beatles

2. The Rolling Stones

3. Pink Floyd

4. The Who

5. Led Zep

6. Queen

7. The Clash

8. Radiohead

9. Fleetwood Mac

10. Genesis

Last edited:
i m more of a metal fan :113:

listened only to pink Floyd and Queen..

among the recent ones i like Muse and Arctic Monkeys..

dont have enough bands to list in top 10

Kaiser chiefs, Blur got me a through a lot of days in the university :D

derek and the dominoes, blur, Police

I guess no room for the likes of Deep Purple, Yes, Supertramp, Roxy Music, ELO or even The Who ?

roxy music was good, I think Bryan Ferry had the best girls on his cover hehehe

Without a doubt The Beatles are definitely the greatest rock band ever and the greatest British rock act the world has ever seen.

1. The Beatles
2. Pink Floyd
3. Led Zeppellin
4. The Rolling Stones
5. The Who
6. Deep Purple
7. Queen
8. Radiohead
9. The Clash
10. The Verve

My list.

were the Beatles really Rock?

I think you have to have Queen in the Top 3, at least in terms of longevity.

Bump.

The Beatles
Zeppelin
Floyd
King Crimson
Queen
Genesis
Yes
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Radiohead

Every so often, I feel I should graduate to classical music, properly. But the truth is, I'm more likely to listen to rock music. - Tony Blair

Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Sex Pistols
Motorhead
The Clash
Def Leppard
Judas Priest
Muse
Queen

Bump!

This list is incomplete without Pink Floyd man. Arguably the greatest rock band in the history of Music.

My list would be:

- Pink Floyd
- Led Zeppelin
- Queen
- The Beatles
- Radiohead
- Judas Priest
- Cold play
- The Clash
- Iron Maiden
- The Cranberries (they're Irish tho)

I know I might be in a minority here and would probably be bashed for saying this but I think The Smiths are probably the greatest to come out of Britain, better than both pink Floyd and Beatles and slightly edging over or on par with Led Zeppelin.Phenomenal music.

Bohemian Rhapsody really inspired me to check out classic bands and hit numbers. Hats off the Britain for giving the world such wonderful music.

Freddie Mercury, what a legend! What a showman!

Don’t know about best band but Waterloo sunset is one of my favourite songs

As well as the Titans like The Beatles, Floyd and Zepp, I'd have the The Stone Roses in my list - absolutely awesome group.

Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Porcupine Tree
Anathema
Pink Floyd
Iron Maiden
Def Leppard
Deep Purple
Radiohead
Anathema

I will never understand why people love Coldplay so much, they are the Justin Bieber of Rock. My wife's favorite band so I tried so friggin hard to like them but everytime I listen to their music my testosterone level goes down, anyways each to their own I guess.

I only liked Sabbath and Iron Maiden from the UK, rest are all Americans for me :)

I will never understand why people love Coldplay so much, they are the Justin Bieber of Rock. My wife's favorite band so I tried so friggin hard to like them but everytime I listen to their music my testosterone level goes down, anyways each to their own I guess.

Overall I find them a bit bland but they have four or five songs I really like, and are majestic live. Very good tunesmiths, and they have those soaring choruses that people want to join in with.

Overall I find them a bit bland but they have four or five songs I really like, and are majestic live. Very good tunesmiths, and they have those soaring choruses that people want to join in with.

Bump.

The Beatles
Zeppelin
Floyd
King Crimson
Queen
Genesis
Yes
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Radiohead

I'll revise this list

The Beatles(First of their kind- self explanatory)
Pink Floyd(space rock, soft, mellow, progressive with electronic echoes - think dark side of the Moon)
King Crimson( atonal, dissonant at times but with very melodic choices of notes as well - experimental/avant garde)
Black Sabbath - dark, gloomy music that probably inspired a host of metal bands across Europe
The Mahavishnu Orchestra - where rock was played by primarily jazz musicians (They are the most famous example of this)
Rush - Progressive rock with 20 minute masterpieces( There are others but these guys have outlasted everyone)
Deep Purple - Hard rock through and through - wailing singer, flashy solos, fast and loud music
Metallica - While Sabbath inspired horror styled themes and sounds, they brought in the aggressive riffing, harsh vocals etc )
Radiohead - modern rock
Journey - radio - friendly arena rock music that was 'pop' enough for mainstream audiences with harmonies, choruses etc. Plenty of these but i just chose Journey because of Steve Perry

These are not necessarily the most popular bands but i think if you listen to all of them you will have a fair idea of the history of rock music from the 60's -00's. I've not listed bands and genres , and good ones at that, who derive from more than one of these styles.

Punk rock is essentially british kids stripping rock music back to it's roots ( think 'Jailhouse rock, without any of Elvis' musical ability). Ramones were greater than any useless British punk band anyway :p

Also a band like Van Halen was terrific but combined hard rock with an arena rock style so I have excluded them. //ly, glam metal, extreme metal(death,black metal genres) combine two or more of these styles with folk/classical or in rarer cases - jazz or electronic influences.

My humble opinion :)

My personal top 10:
Sabbath, Maiden, Motorhead, Purple, Priest, Whitesnake, Led Zepp, Floyd, Queen, UFO.

In Extreme genres: Bolt thrower, Napalm Death, Carcass ,Cradle Of Filth (during my teens)

(I've watched 10 out of those 14 bands live 😎)

Great bands but I never got into:
Tull, Ureah heep, Thin Lizzy, Beatles, Rolling stones, Def Lep, Who

Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath
Porcupine Tree
Anathema
Pink Floyd
Iron Maiden
Def Leppard
Deep Purple
Radiohead
Anathema

How on earth did I miss Dire Straits? Jesus Christ!! Floyd Out DS in, Mark Knopfler over David Gilmour anyday.

Last edited:
Back