Tymal Mills - England's answer to Mitchell Johnson?

silent ischemia

First Class Player
Runs
After seeing their batting being ripped apart by the pace of Mitchell Johnson, England are searching for someone to match him in raw pace. Tymal Solomon Mills 21 year old fast bowler from Essex is being touted as England's future fast bowling spearhead. He at the age of 20 clocked 91 mph in front of sky sports cameras and the English management are desperate to blood him in the Test XI.

He's barely played any domestic cricket of any format. To be honest there's a few 90mph bowlers on the radar- Dernbach, Meaker, Overton.

Not sure why Mills gets such huge attention.

He's barely played any domestic cricket of any format. To be honest there's a few 90mph bowlers on the radar- Dernbach, Meaker, Overton.

Not sure why Mills gets such huge attention.

Mills is a left Arm Fast whilst the rest are right, few months ago in a friendly between England and essex mills sent two england players to Hospital

Dernbach. Hahaha.

He could be a very good bowler if he forgets about the tattoos and slower balls. And he is surprisingly quick and swings the ball.

Mills is a left Arm Fast whilst the rest are right, few months ago in a friendly between England and essex mills sent two england players to Hospital

Being a southpaw does have some obvious advantages but he obviously didn't help the English batsman when he was called up to be Johnson-eqsue in the nets.

And he just hit Swann in the arm, hospital was precautionary.

Until he finds a way of taking wickets he will remain a guy with potential rather than someone who can actually be chosen. In many ways he could be another Simon Jones; a bowler chosen purely on potential but came good in the national team but hardly took a wicket for Glamorgan.

Dernbach is in ishant sharmas league. Thats how bad he is.

Last edited:
He's been clocked at 93/94 hasn't he? In that warm up game against England he was bowling rapid. He injured swann and has also injured bell previously in the nets.

He has serious pace, just needs to utilize it better. He's not even a regular with Essex yet.

Nah he isn't in the same league as Johnson.

Please tell me what league Johnson is in? He bowled brilliantly, he did but that's one series. Let him to for a couple of series before putting him in a league of his own.

Please tell me what league Johnson is in? He bowled brilliantly, he did but that's one series. Let him to for a couple of series before putting him in a league of his own.

Il tell u 250 test wickets @28 for Johnson, that seems good to me

Adam Milne has serious pace as well and gets blasted all over the place.

138-140 km/hr with control is much better than 150 km/hr all over the show.

Mills is rated more on PP because of some random warmup game than he is in England.

If Steven Finn can return to form and fitness then he is as good a bowler as any.

Same bowler who had been dropped for past three years suddenly belongs to a different league?

Different league to a guy who hasn't bowled in international cricket and bowls for his county 2nd XI?

Yes.

Different league to a guy who hasn't bowled in international cricket and bowls for his county 2nd XI?

Yes.

that's not the point. The point is Johnson has been rubbish for good 4 years and people have hyped him so much after one series. We should wait to see if has really improved or was that just one series.

that's not the point. The point is Johnson has been rubbish for good 4 years and people have hyped him so much after one series. We should wait to see if has really improved or was that just one series.

If its not the point you shouldn't have commented on his post where he said Johnson is in a different league to Mills :))

If its not the point you shouldn't have commented on his post where he said Johnson is in a different league to Mills :))

No I still stay by my original point.. You say this to someone who is in a league of his own. You can say that about Steyn, Harris, Swann, Ajmal who have been a notch above everyone but not for a guy who had been struggling to make to the team for past years.

Your previous post was a pretty vague one and that's why I said that's not the point. You can even argue that Sami and Ishant Sharma are better than the guy who hasn't made his debut yet. He could be the next Lakmal for all you know..

Same bowler who had been dropped for past three years suddenly belongs to a different league?

Most bowlers get dropped lin their career, but 250 wickets @28 bowling 90-95 mph that is quality

If he has potential then what is the harm in bringing him in close to the national team. I believe using this excuse that he must have performances, he must play domestic cricket for 2-3 years is just an excuse to prevent people from making it big in international cricket. England's coaching and county set up are not known for encouraging pace as the decline of Finn has recently shown.

To be honest 91 miles is not impressive or special at all. Most fast bowlers should be able to be clocked at that speed and it's not fast enough to rely on, on its own.

A bloke who can't get a game for a second division county side is not an immediate prospect for England.

There is another bloke in England who can bowl that speed, is very tall, is young and averages under 30 in test cricket. Carried the drinks all series.

Forget random youngsters and look at Finn

if johnson averaging 28 is rubbish then what are broad, anderson, zaheer, umar gul etc?

If Steven Finn can return to form and fitness then he is as good a bowler as any.

Doubt it, England have ruined him.

Encouraging to note that Mills is an out and out England-er. Unfortunately though, that means there's a 65% chance that he's no good.

I said for four years. Read properly first. He had been out of the side for four years hasn't he been?

How has johnson been out of the side for four years? He played against SA two years ago... Plenty of good players have been dropped before. Johnson was left out due to an injury ..

To be honest 91 miles is not impressive or special at all. Most fast bowlers should be able to be clocked at that speed and it's not fast enough to rely on, on its own.

A bloke who can't get a game for a second division county side is not an immediate prospect for England.

There is another bloke in England who can bowl that speed, is very tall, is young and averages under 30 in test cricket. Carried the drinks all series.

Forget random youngsters and look at Finn

Yes speed in itself is nothing otherwise Mohammed Sami would be a mainstay in the Pak side. What made Jonno so effective in this series was the fact that he had a natural angle that always troubled the batsmen, he was able to swing the ball at pace, and he varied his deliveries from bowling across the right handers forcing them to fish for the ball or he swung the ball in to their bodies. And he used his angles at the crease well. It's not just bowling fast and hoping for the best. The faster you are the faster a good batsman will clatter you to the boundary if you spray it around, like Jonno of earlier years did. It's not his pace that made him a handful this time - it's pace plus control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well havent seen him bowl though he averages 35 in first class bowling. I think England shudnt get desperate. Pace bowler bowler with good stats they shud find. Has anyone seen Toby Rolland-Jones bowling? He averages 22 in first class bowling and 23 in List-A bowling. Surprised and shocked that he has been overlooked. Though he is a medium fast but his stats are awesome.

Last edited:
I would prefer Finn

Broad / Finn / Anderson / Stokes / Panesar , this would be good attack in English conditions.

Looks a good T20 bowler.

Good pace and has a lot of variety with an excellent slower ball.

I didn't liked his action and felt like no rhythm what so ever for a quality fast bowler but the guy is effortlessly hitting some serious pace

Bw didn't get the title....he has nothing to do with johnson who is a proved player in test and odi

This lad is just made for T20's n league cricket

I didn't liked his action and felt like no rhythm what so ever for a quality fast bowler but the guy is effortlessly hitting some serious pace

Bw didn't get the title....he has nothing to do with johnson who is a proved player in test and odi

This lad is just made for T20's n league cricket

Mills was taken as a 19/20 year old net bowler on England's tour of Australia in 2013/14 to try and replicate Johnson's pace and angle. Probably the reason for the title.

Is Tymal Mills the most overrated modern cricketer?

He bowls absolute rubbish but keeps finding his way into league teams as a foreign player. When will the torture stop?

An economy rate of 7.8 in t20s suggests he is lucky to be picked consistently especially considering his price tag in one IPL season.

He was pretty ordinary in BBL. Couple of decent spells but mostly wayward, leaking lots of runs. One thing he has though is pace but lack of direction nullifies his threat.

He was dropped for some random domestic bowler because he was that bad.

Sussex fast bowler Tymal Mills has been named in England's preliminary T20 World Cup squad.

Head coach Chris Silverwood has named a 15-man preliminary squad for the upcoming World Cup in the United Arab Emirates and Oman.

The tournament runs from 17 October to 14 November with England facing world champions West Indies on 23 October.

Mills, 29, returns to the international set-up for the first time since February 2016.

The left-arm fast bowler was impressive in the Vitality T20 Blast this summer, where he helped Sussex reach Finals Day at Edgbaston, which will take place later this month.

He also impressed in The Hundred, helping Southern Brave to the men's title in the tournament's inaugural year.

"Tymal Mills deserves his inclusion and has demonstrated over the past couple of years - but particularly this summer - that he has all skills to succeed at this level," said Silverwood.

"His exceptional pace is a standout, and the way he has spearheaded Sussex and Southern Brave's respective attacks in the short-form game has shown that he relishes the pressures of the big stage. He will add variety to our bowling unit and we can't wait to see him play in a major international tournament."

All-rounder Ben Stokes was not available for selection as he continues to take an "indefinite break" from cricket for his mental wellbeing.

England have until 10 October to finalise their squad and will make a decision on Stokes' involvement as late as possible.

England - currently the top-ranked T20 side in the world - are scheduled to play four warm-up matches before the T20 World Cup, including a two-match T20I series against Pakistan at the Rawalpindi International Stadium on 14-15 October.

BBC

I reckon it’s smart to select him given his uae experience within PSL but don’t really rate the guy.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tymal Mills "I have been to Pakistan a few times and it's a brilliant country to play cricket in" <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/EiRkqFNeCO">pic.twitter.com/EiRkqFNeCO</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1445465310916583428?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 5, 2021</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tymal Mills:

"I have been to Pakistan a few times, and it's a brilliant country to play cricket in. The crowds are always great and the cricket is always of a high standard, and its a tournament (PSL) that I know very well"

"I cannot comment about what happens above me, we follow whatever advice and information we are given but I be very keen to go there if we are able to go back to Pakistan. I have experience of Pakistan fist-hand and its a great place to play cricket, and I am sure we will get a chance to go back there in the future"

Quad injury and he's had to leave the field against Sri Lanka.

Didn't look good.

The Mumbai Indians faced a setback to their 2022 Indian Premier League campaign as their overseas star Tymal Mills was ruled out of the rest of the season due to an injury. The franchise confirmed South Africa's Tristan Stubbs as the English pacer's replacement for the remainder of the edition. Mills appeared in five matches for the Mumbai Indians in IPL 2022, taking six wickets. Follow IPL 2022 Coverage

Mumbai Indians endured the worst-ever start to a team in the history of the competition, having lost all of their opening eight matches. The side registered its maiden win of the season against Rajasthan Royals last week, defeating Sanju Samson's men by five wickets at the DY Patil Stadium in Mumbai.

MI's bowling attack had come under significant scanner throughout the tournament and Mills, who was bought for INR 1.50 crore by the franchise in the mega auction preceding the league, conceded at an economy rate of 11.50 in his five games -- the worst by a MI pacer with five or more overs in the tournament.

Daniel Sams is currently the side's highest wicket-taker with seven dismissals to his name. Jasprit Bumrah, who has been one of the leading pacers of the franchise over the years, has taken only five wickets in the season so far.

Hindustan Times

Tymal, though he is certainly no Johnno, was actually in pretty good form before he got injured during the T20 World Cup. I was impressed with his overs.

He then struggled on his return against the West Indies, having perhaps been slightly rushed back, and of course he is now injured again.

He needs a decent rest before attempting another return.

Mills, Wood and Archer bowling attack for Eng in T20 World Cup would be a site to watch

Tymal Mills with a spectacular spell today. Claimed 3 wickets, his final figures were 3/34 against KK in PSL 9 today.

Back