UK PM Rishi Sunak defends India PM Modi over BBC documentary on 2002 Gujarat riots

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has come out in defence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi after a controversial BBC documentary claimed that the British government was aware about the Indian leader having an alleged role in the 2002 Gujarat riots.

Sunak said he does not agree with the characterisation of Prime Minister Modi by Pakistani-origin Imran Hussain, an Opposition Labour Party MP, when he asked if the British premier agreed with claims in the BBC programme that some UK Foreign Office diplomats believed that "Modi was directly responsible".

During Prime Minister's Questions (PMQs) in the House of Commons on Wednesday, Hussain raised the claims made in the first part of ‘India: The Modi Question’ that UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) knew the “extent of Narendra Modi's involvement", then Gujarat chief minister, in the communal clashes that claimed hundreds of lives.

What did PM Sunak say?

"The UK government's position on that is clear and long standing, and it has not changed," Sunak responded.

"Of course, we do not tolerate persecution anywhere, but I am not sure that I agree at all with the characterisation that the hon. gentleman has put forward," the British prime minister said.

Centre's response to the BBC documentary

The Indian government has, meanwhile, condemned the BBC Panorama programme, which has not been screened in India, as a propaganda piece with a questionable agenda behind it.

"We think that this is a propaganda piece, designed to push a particular discredited narrative. The bias, lack of objectivity and continuing colonial mindset is blatantly visible," MEA spokesperson Arindam Bagchi told reporters during a press briefing in New Delhi on Thursday when asked about the controversial series.

‘India: The Modi Question’

The first part of the two-part ‘India: The Modi Question’ programme, which aired on BBC Two on Tuesday, was categorised by the UK tax-payer funded broadcaster as “a look at the tensions between Indian PM Narendra Modi and India’s Muslim minority, investigating claims about his role in 2002 riots that left over a thousand dead”.

The second part of the series, scheduled to be aired next Tuesday, is pegged as a “look at the troubled relationship between Indian PM Narendra Modi’s government and India’s Muslim minority following his re-election in 2019”.

"We strongly condemn the BBC’s malicious documentary ‘India: The Modi Question," said Insight UK, among several diaspora groups who have taken to social media to condemn the documentary.

"Riddled with antisemitism, anti-Hindu and anti-India biases, they have lost many viewers and yet continue spreading their hate without consequence or accountability," it added.

https://www.outlookindia.com/nation...i-dismisses-pak-origin-mp-s-claim-news-255075

Last edited:
The British government knew Modi was responsible which is why the British government banned him from entering the UK.

The British government knew Modi was responsible which is why the British government banned him from entering the UK.

According to the MP, Foreign & Commonwealth Office held Modi directly responsible.

So how is the PM of UK denying that?

I can understand India Govt taking offence to it but the PM of UK is supposed to believe his own Govt offices?

According to the MP, Foreign & Commonwealth Office held Modi directly responsible.

I can understand India Govt taking offence to it but the PM of UK is supposed to believe his own Govt offices?

Well its multifold.

a) they know the Indian regime is reactionary and they are desperate to avoid problems around trade

b) they are allies. And staunch allies thus any criticism will be muted

c) his family could be negatively effected as his father is the owner of infosys

d) he doesn't care enough about Muslims in India to put them before UK policy.

e) the UK govt has an India first policy no matter what..

Didn't the same UK government say that Iraq has WMDs?

How did UK government conduct its inquiry in another foreign land? Or was this report just to satisfy the constituents of the then foreign secretary?

Well its multifold.

a) they know the Indian regime is reactionary and they are desperate to avoid problems around trade

b) they are allies. And staunch allies thus any criticism will be muted

c) his family could be negatively effected as his father is the owner of infosys

d) he doesn't care enough about Muslims in India to put them before UK policy.

e) the UK govt has an India first policy no matter what..

1) Or he knows the reality of the regime that went to Iraq to get WMDs.

2) Or he knows that there has been numerous riots in India during every regime before and after independence and no Govt has been able to control it 100 per cent. And he doesn't want to be part of the politics of India.

3) His father in law is retired from Infosys. Infosys founders like Nilekani or Murthy actively donate to IPSMF, an organisation that funds mostly anti Modi leftist media.

4) Or he knows that if you burn alive 59 people of a community, there will be spontaneous reactions.

5) His job is to secure the interest of UK, he is the PM.

The uk govts position on that is clear and long standing

Modi is directly responsible for the loss of life during the gujurat riots

Just because hes pm now doesnt change the facts

In the UK it is well known and accepted that Rishi Sunak is a trojan Hindutva supporter.

The PM can deny all he wants, but deep down he has roots tied with Hindutva, especially when you delve into his in-laws and endorsement of tax evasion! Typical!

The uk govts position on that is clear and long standing

Modi is directly responsible for the loss of life during the gujurat riots

Just because hes pm now doesnt change the facts

The UK PM said otherwise.

That MP Imran Hussain’s accent doesn’t sound very British. Surprising. I thought he would sound like the characters from 4 lions.

That MP Imran Hussain’s accent doesn’t sound very British. Surprising. I thought he would sound like the characters from 4 lions.

You should read some of the Indian articles - they describe him as of Pakistani origin. I guess that's what you are alluding to?

Rishi only said

""Of course, we do not tolerate persecution anywhere, but I am not sure that I agree at all with the characterisation that the hon. gentleman has put forward," the British prime minister said."

Never went into detail regarding the claims Gujrat. He is saying he is not sure etc ,trying to be diplomatic.

Besides Rishi Sunak has the lowest approval rating in modern history. He is a lame duck PM who will be out office next election. He was never even voted in . Most Brits hate him.

IT doesnt matter what the says or the Indian court, the truth cannot be denied or changed.

Looking foward to watching this. The fact the BBC which is a joke now chose to make this docu shows the UK has little respect for Modi or India as a nation.

You should read some of the Indian articles - they describe him as of Pakistani origin. I guess that's what you are alluding to?

Yes, I didn’t know someone can grow outside of Britain and become MP there. Even in USA some politicians who are born outside come here very early so they sound American. Strange seeing a foreign MP with a desi accent.

Yes, I didn’t know someone can grow outside of Britain and become MP there. Even in USA some politicians who are born outside come here very early so they sound American. Strange seeing a foreign MP with a desi accent.

I think you ll find hes british born and the accent you are referring to is a northern accent

Reporters and intnl news outlets reported from the time that the police stood by and let the violence occur with the orders coming from the top From Modi himself

Rishi only said

""Of course, we do not tolerate persecution anywhere, but I am not sure that I agree at all with the characterisation that the hon. gentleman has put forward," the British prime minister said."

Never went into detail regarding the claims Gujrat. He is saying he is not sure etc ,trying to be diplomatic.

Besides Rishi Sunak has the lowest approval rating in modern history. He is a lame duck PM who will be out office next election. He was never even voted in . Most Brits hate him.

IT doesnt matter what the says or the Indian court, the truth cannot be denied or changed.

Looking foward to watching this. The fact the BBC which is a joke now chose to make this docu shows the UK has little respect for Modi or India as a nation.

The fact that UK PM disagreed with the charactrization shows what a joke the BBC is.

Reporters and intnl news outlets reported from the time that the police stood by and let the violence occur with the orders coming from the top From Modi himself

You can report anything. In court yoy have to prove it.

That's why people are put through a court trial and not a media trial.

You can report anything. In court yoy have to prove it.

That's why people are put through a court trial and not a media trial.

Oh yes the great indian courts

Theres plenty of proof, witness testimony out there but the indian courts choose to look the other way

Just like modi did in 2002

The fact that UK PM disagreed with the charactrization shows what a joke the BBC is.

Nobody, even many Tories dont listen to Rishi :))

Of course he said it as he has to deal with the PM of India. He would say the same if asked about Sharif being a theif. But we all know Modi is a Hindu extremist nutjob who was happy to see Muslims being butchered in Gujrat and Sharif has stolen more than an IPL team has in its bank account.

Theres plenty of proof, witness testimony out there but the indian courts choose to look the other way

He's knows the truth but almost seems he thinks posting defending the BJP will give him a chance to be minister of information for BJP.

Its not by crazy chance since Modi has been in power, Muslims and Christians , even Dalits have been oppressed in India.

Any reason for the timing of this?

Looks very random.

This happened in 2002, Modi got elected as Pm in 2014 and again in 2019. Next elections are 1.5 yrs away.

Kashmir article was revoked in 2019.

All cases against Modi were closed a few years ago

There seems to be only cordial relations diplomatically between the 2 countries: India and UK

I don’t see a sudden interest why BBC has taken a sudden interest in this after all these years?

Looks very random.

This happened in 2002, Modi got elected as Pm in 2014 and again in 2019. Next elections are 1.5 yrs away.

There seems to be only cordial relations diplomatically between the 2 countries: India and UK

I don’t see a sudden interest why BBC has taken a sudden interest in this after all these years?

Im no fan of Modi or BJP but this is due to India selling Russian oil through a back door to UK energy buyers. They want to pressure India and I promise you Sunak supports this regardless of what he says in public.

UK sadly is a puppet of USA, it will do anything to weaken Putin even if its self harm.

Looks very random.

The same reason any potential threat would be neutralised I expect. Could be financial, could be ideological, could they just don't trust the shape shifting type.

Im no fan of Modi or BJP but this is due to India selling Russian oil through a back door to UK energy buyers. They want to pressure India and I promise you Sunak supports this regardless of what he says in public.

UK sadly is a puppet of USA, it will do anything to weaken Putin even if its self harm.

Didn’t ever imagine, I would agree with you on something :)

Insecurity 101

==

The centre has ordered Twitter and YouTube to take down links of a BBC documentary on the 2002 Gujarat riots and Prime Minister Narendra Modi, people with direct knowledge of the matter have said.

Many tweets and YouTube videos of the documentary titled "India: The Modi Question" no longer appear on the microblogging and video-sharing websites.

The Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry told the two social media giants to block the first episode of the documentary by BBC, people familiar with the matter said, a day after British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak distanced himself from the documentary series, saying he "doesn't agree with the characterisation" of his Indian counterpart in the UK's parliament by Pakistan-origin MP Imran Hussain.

The ministry told Twitter to remove over 50 tweets on the documentary by Britain's national broadcaster, the people said.

Trinamool Congress MP Derek O'Brien was among some opposition leaders whose tweet on the documentary was removed by Twitter.

"Censorship. Twitter has taken down my tweet of the BBC documentary. It received lakhs of views. The one-hour BBC documentary exposes how PM hates minorities," Mr O'Brien alleged.

The I&B Ministry gave the order to take down the links using emergency powers under the Information Technology Rules, 2021, and both YouTube and Twitter have agreed to follow the order, people with knowledge of the matter said.

India has called the documentary a "propaganda piece" that lacks objectivity and reflects a colonial mindset.

The centre has also told YouTube and Twitter to take down fresh links of the documentary if some people upload or tweet them again, sources said.

Officials of several ministries including home and foreign, apart from I&B, have examined the documentary closely and found it to be an attempt to cast aspersions on the authority and credibility of the Supreme Court, sow divisions among communities in India and make unsubstantiated allegations on actions of foreign governments in India, people with direct knowledge of the matter said.

A Supreme Court-appointed investigation had found no evidence of wrongdoing by PM Modi, who was Chief Minister of Gujarat when the riots broke out in February 2002.

Yesterday, while shutting down the Pakistan-origin MP who raised the documentary in the British parliament, Prime Minister Sunak, the son-in-law of Infosys founder Narayana Murthy, said, "The UK government's position on this has been clear and long-standing and hasn't changed, of course, we don't tolerate persecution where it appears anywhere but I am not sure I agree at all with the characterization that the honourable gentleman has put forward to."

NDTV

Government Blocks Access To BBC Documentary On 2002 Gujarat Riots

The central government has issued directions for blocking multiple YouTube videos and Twitter posts sharing links to the BBC documentary 'India: The Modi Question', sources said. The directions were reportedly issued by Apurva Chandra, Secretary, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting on Friday using the emergency powers under the IT Rules, 2021.

Read more at: https://www.bqprime.com/politics/government-blocks-access-to-bbc-documentary-on-2002-gujarat-riots

Blood is thicker than water.

That’s a northern accent you ignoramus. Lol Tbis is your argument?

It’s pretty funny that modis government responds to any article or documentary by an international publication thus giving that content 10 times the audience it would hav e gotten otherwise

It’s pretty funny that modis government responds to any article or documentary by an international publication thus giving that content 10 times the audience it would hav e gotten otherwise

Actually the sensible thing to do. Right now India and UK are on the verge of finallising a new free trade agreement. Few months back Suella Braverman torpedoed the deal with her loose comments on British colonial legacy and migrants which got wide coverage in India and forced Modi to call off talks

Now the latest round of trade talks are set to resume soon. Yesterday the British foreign minister made a similar statement . Last thing both Modi and Sunak needs now is another such controversy blow up and delay the trade deal even further

Sometimes you have to act sensibly. This BBC documentary wont make any difference to most Indians or British people - barring some outrage on social media and news channels. The trade deal is a much bigger issue - given UK's post BREXIT economic woes

Actually the sensible thing to do. Right now India and UK are on the verge of finallising a new free trade agreement. Few months back Suella Braverman torpedoed the deal with her loose comments on British colonial legacy and migrants which got wide coverage in India and forced Modi to call off talks

Now the latest round of trade talks are set to resume soon. Yesterday the British foreign minister made a similar statement . Last thing both Modi and Sunak needs now is another such controversy blow up and delay the trade deal even further

Sometimes you have to act sensibly. This BBC documentary wont make any difference to most Indians or British people - barring some outrage on social media and news channels. The trade deal is a much bigger issue - given UK's post BREXIT economic woes

Quie a chilling thought. Imagine if everyone in Europe had agreed to eradicate Jews once and for all based on it making financial sense back in 1945. Luckily we Brits roused our sleepy American allies to understand the importance of the fight to protect the immigrant community which had prospered in their new surroundings.

Didn’t ever imagine, I would agree with you on something :)

Do you agree that the Modi government blocking this BBC documentary is against freedom of speech ? This is what third world dictators do. Thoughts [MENTION=76058]cricketjoshila[/MENTION] ?

I am surprised how Indians aren't even the least bit bothered by this ban. It reminds me of how the CCP tries to hide all traces of Tiananmen Square Massacre '89 from Chinese citizens.

Muslims have historically been subjugated in subcontinent so maybe Muslims worldwide need to wind necks in.

Either successfully bloc up and create powerful groups or shut up.

Squeaky rebellions only result in being crushed. Muslims are taught to live and let live. Too many delusions of grandeur acting like Khalid bin Walid ready to rescue them when unnecessarily creating needle in communities where Muslims are the minority

Quie a chilling thought. Imagine if everyone in Europe had agreed to eradicate Jews once and for all based on it making financial sense back in 1945. Luckily we Brits roused our sleepy American allies to understand the importance of the fight to protect the immigrant community which had prospered in their new surroundings.

British knew what Hitler was doing to Jews for a long time but did nothing. Neville Chamberlain signed a treaty to authorize German occupation of Sudetenland and called it " peace in our times ". Brits woke up when Hitler started bombing their country. Just like America woke up only after Pearl Harbor - 2 years after the war broke out in Eurpe

Also the British never woke up when French killed millions of Algerians, Belgians killed millions of Congolese . Heck Winston Churchill starved 3 million Indians to death in 1943 and they built statues of him all over te country

As Henry Kissinger said foreign policy is about national inteerst , not principles or altruism

At the next General elections , Rishi SUnak wont be asked questions on Modi or Xinjiang or Syria or Rawanda. He will face questions on economy and energy crisis - which is why his govt is desperate to close the free trade deal with India

Just like Imran Khan makes so much noise on Kashmir & Palestine but feigns ignorance on Xinjiang. He knows his economy wont survive without Chinese money !

It is what it is !

I don’t see any tangible benefit coming to the UK with the trade deal with India.

This will be like the trade deals with Japan, Aus and NZ. Just to put a tick mark in the number of trade deals by the Tories.

Do you agree that the Modi government blocking this BBC documentary is against freedom of speech ? This is what third world dictators do. Thoughts [MENTION=76058]cricketjoshila[/MENTION] ?

I am surprised how Indians aren't even the least bit bothered by this ban. It reminds me of how the CCP tries to hide all traces of Tiananmen Square Massacre '89 from Chinese citizens.

Very apt questions. Look forward to the responses.

Former British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw has testified to the fact that the British government had conducted an investigation on its own into the 2002 Gujarat riots in India after the large-scale violence created ripples in the UK.

He said that the investigation was carried out after citizens of Gujarati Muslim origin in the UK were worried about their loved ones in India and were making representations to that effect to the then Tony Blair government.

During an interview with ‘The Wire’ regarding BBC’s documentary about the 2002 Gujarat riots, the former British diplomat said that the simple fact was that in Britain, including in his constituency, there were hundreds of thousands of people from the Indian state of Gujarat, mainly Muslims.

[utube]8gYkcqExkac[/utube]

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Indian gov't directed Twitter and YouTube to block links sharing a BBC documentary critical of PM Modi’s role in the deadly 2002 Gujarat riots <a href="https://t.co/BVciy4RSWQ">https://t.co/BVciy4RSWQ</a> <a href="https://t.co/FcAG5wfAMt">pic.twitter.com/FcAG5wfAMt</a></p>— Al Jazeera English (@AJEnglish) <a href="https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1617087249367048193?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 22, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What for? It's common knowledge that Modi is the lowest of the low. I don't think we needed a documentary to know that.

The PM of Indian origin is busy defending Pol Pot of India, I see. No surprises there!

Former British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw has testified to the fact that the British government had conducted an investigation on its own into the 2002 Gujarat riots in India after the large-scale violence created ripples in the UK.

He said that the investigation was carried out after citizens of Gujarati Muslim origin in the UK were worried about their loved ones in India and were making representations to that effect to the then Tony Blair government.

During an interview with ‘The Wire’ regarding BBC’s documentary about the 2002 Gujarat riots, the former British diplomat said that the simple fact was that in Britain, including in his constituency, there were hundreds of thousands of people from the Indian state of Gujarat, mainly Muslims.

[utube]8gYkcqExkac[/utube]

Blackburn. If anything, indian Muslims are complicit. Theoretically, Gujarat would be part of Pakistan if those wanted it.

Partition was a botched up operation that benefitted few.

If things happen in India, Indian courts will decide.

You were present in the court? If not then how can you say so?

That documentary is straight away a contempt of Indian judiciary.

Secondly it's trying to portray that UK openly violated Indian sovereignty by conducting an inquiry on Indian soil.

If Indians are not bothered why are you bothered.

Next time you talk about freedom of speech look up the constitution of India and how it is defined there.

Blackburn. If anything, indian Muslims are complicit. Theoretically, Gujarat would be part of Pakistan if those wanted it.

Partition was a botched up operation that benefitted few.

What is the percentage of Muslims in Gujarat?

Jack Straw wanted to keep his vote bank happy so did what would keep them happy. Nothing else.

The more the leftist spread propoganda against Modi, the more the Pakistanis hate him, the stronger he gets in India.

The opposition walked into a trap by supporting the BBC and Modi happily closed the deal. The question being asked from the opposition is:

1. When the supreme court has exonerated Modi, what value is some documentary by BBC and do they think BBC is above indian courts and the constitution.

2. Are they supporting the UK conducting an inquiry in India?

The Butcher of Gujurat A very apt nickname for PM Modi

That documentary is straight away a contempt of Indian judiciary.

Secondly it's trying to portray that UK openly violated Indian sovereignty by conducting an inquiry on Indian soil.

If Indians are not bothered why are you bothered.

Next time you talk about freedom of speech look up the constitution of India and how it is defined there.

Explain how the documentary it is a contempt of judiciary. You're blindly repeating what the government put out to deflect and avoid criticism of their leader. There are Indian citizens who have said what the BBC doc has.

UK conducted a private inquiry for its own domestic purposes. How is that violating Indian sovereignity ? You are just making up stuff now.

Last edited:
What is the percentage of Muslims in Gujarat?

It would've been a Ounjab or Bengal scenario. It's substantial enough and unlike what became Pakistan, Gujarati Muslims like their Hindu counterparts are very affluent and business people as per the Muhajir who went to Karachi

Explain how the documentary it is a contempt of judiciary. You're blindly repeating what the government put out to deflect and avoid criticism of their leader. There are Indian citizens who have said what the BBC doc has.

UK conducted a private inquiry for its own domestic purposes. How is that violating Indian sovereignity ? You are just making up stuff now.

What the documentary is saying is directly opposite to what the supreme court said in its judgement. TWICE. Thats clear contempt.

How can UK conduct an inquiry inside India? What empowers them to conduct any inquiry inside the territory of another sovereign nation?

What the documentary is saying is directly opposite to what the supreme court said in its judgement. TWICE. Thats clear contempt.

No it is not. Who taught you this ? Learn what 'Contempt of Court' means.

"In India, the offence of contempt of court is committed when a person either disobeys a court order, or when a person says or does anything that scandalizes, prejudices, or interferes with judicial proceedings and the administration of justice"

Anybody can have an opinion on a court judgement and disagree with it but is legally obligated to follow it. The Court is not God. If Modi is offended by doumentary, he can go ahead and personally sue the BBC for defamation. He cannot use state resources and ban any criticism of him. That is abuse of authority.

How can UK conduct an inquiry inside India? What empowers them to conduct any inquiry inside the territory of another sovereign nation?

It was an internal report, not published or released anywhere in public. Private assessments by a government department are done by every country. For example, an Indian diplomat in US can talk to anyone there and make their own assessments and diplomatic cables to assist his superiors in policy making. This is what embassies do, it has nothing to with sovereignity. :facepalm:

Last edited:
No it is not. Who taught you this ? Learn what 'Contempt of Court' means.

"In India, the offence of contempt of court is committed when a person either disobeys a court order, or when a person says or does anything that scandalizes, prejudices, or interferes with judicial proceedings and the administration of justice"

Anybody can have an opinion on a court judgement and disagree with it but is legally obligated to follow it. The Court is not God. If Modi is offended by doumentary, he can go ahead and personally sue the BBC for defamation. He cannot use state resources and ban any criticism of him. That is abuse of authority.

Incorrect. You cannot have an opinion that basically scandalized the judgement of the supreme court and holds a person proclaimed innocent as guilty. While BBC can do whatever it wants in UK, they will have no space to spread their propoganda in India.

This isn't the first time BBC has broken laws in India and its about time they are thrown out permanently.

BBC may still think that a former colony ought be put in its place, they need to realise India isnt any other colony that survives on aid from UK or is going to roll over for the gora sahib.

Under Section 2(c) of the Contempt of Courts Act of 1971, criminal contempt has been defined as the publication (whether by words, spoken or written, or by signs, or by visible representation, or otherwise) of any matter or the doing of any other act whatsoever which:
(i) Scandalises or tends to scandalise, or lowers or tends to lower the authority of, any court, or
(ii) Prejudices, or interferes or tends to interfere with the due course of any judicial proceeding, or
(iii) Interferes or tends to interfere with, or obstructs or tends to obstruct, the administration of justice in any other manner.

Its criminal contempt of court.

It was an internal report, not published or released anywhere in public. Private assessments by a government department are done by every country. For example, an Indian diplomat in US can talk to anyone there and make their own assessments and diplomatic cables to assist his superiors in policy making. This is what embassies do, it has nothing to with sovereignity. :facepalm:

Ordering an inquiry into an incident of another country is a violation of that country's sovereignty. And no diplomats cannot talk to anyone they want. There are protocols for that.

Can India order an inquiry on the attacks on hindus in Leicester?

Jack Straw basically wanted to save his votes.

Totally unconvincing answer by Rishi. No one is asking him to agree rather comment on the facts found by the BBC. The BBC has again properly exposed Modi and rubbed India's nose on the ground. It is crystal clear that the genocide was planned by Hindu fanatics most likely even before the Godhra incident took place.

"Sinister Propaganda": Thousands Back Request To Probe BBC Series On PM Modi

A new online petition has demanded an independent probe into a "serious breach" by the BBC in its duties as a public broadcaster in the UK over the controversial documentary series on Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

‘Call for an Independent Investigation into the BBC over Modi documentary' on Change.Org, which “strongly” condemns the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) for failing to meet the "highest standards of editorial impartiality", has attracted over 2,500 signatures since it went online on Sunday night.

The petition labels 'India: The Modi Question', the first part of which aired last week and the second is due to be aired on Tuesday, as a piece of “sinister propaganda journalism that deliberately misinforms its viewers”.

“We strongly condemn the BBC for failing to meet the highest standards of editorial impartiality in its two-part documentary ‘India: The Modi Question',” it reads.

“We call upon the BBC Board to conduct an independent investigation into this serious breach of its duties as a public service broadcaster and publish the findings in full,” it demands.

The petition also urges the UK's independent media watchdog -- the Office of Communications (OFCOM) -- to hold the BBC to account for what it calls “repeated failures to secure content standards which command the trust of license-fee paying audiences” and to discuss necessary corrections and clarifications with the broadcaster.

Under the rationale for the latest move, the organisers of the petition claim the documentary is an "example of agenda driven reporting and institutional bias that now characterises this once globally respected organisation."

“The timing for airing, some 21 years later, a so-called investigative report that has nothing new in it, but only shoehorns old allegations to fit the producers clearly predetermined conclusions in itself speaks volumes. Inexplicably, it comes at a time when India's Supreme Court has, after a lengthy investigation and due process, completely absolved Prime Minister Modi from the very same allegations of complicity in the 2002 riots that the BBC now seeks to rake up after more than two decades,” it reads.

Many of the signatories also express similar sentiments, calling it “complete propaganda” and condemning the BBC for carrying out a “malicious agenda”.

“BBC is creating a false narrative against the two-times democratically elected Prime Minister of the largest democracy in the world. Besides PM Modi was exonerated by the Supreme Court of India,” writes Lord Rami Ranger, one of the British Indian signatories who has been very vocal over the issue.

It comes as the Hindu Forum of Britain (HFB) wrote to Deborah Turness, CEO of BBC News, last week to complain against the broadcaster's “anti-Hindu bias”.

“This preposterous ill-advised production and airing of a Hindu hate piece could well be the ammunition thugs need to go out and target Hindus. Does the BBC not have any responsibility,” its letter questions.

It follows the Indian government's strong condemnation of the programme as a “propaganda piece” lacking objectivity.

The BBC has defended the series as “rigorously researched according to the highest editorial standards”.

NDTV

I cant understand why Indians are getting riled up over this.

PM Modi will most likely win the 2024 election with majority, he still gets to buy cheap oil from the Russians which is helping the Indian economy tremendously.

PM Modi didnt bow down to the US and ditch the Russians, now both US and Russians are in good terms with him.

In the meantime Pakistan is broke and headed down to a point of no return....

Yeah BBC documentary is the mean all and end all, over something that is nothing in the grand scheme of things but Indians having a sook lol.....

PM Modi will most likely win the 2024 election with majority, he still gets to buy cheap oil from the Russians which is helping the Indian economy tremendously.

PM Modi didnt bow down to the US and ditch the Russians, now both US and Russians are in good terms with him.

Yeah BBC documentary is the mean all and end all, over something that is nothing in the grand scheme of things but Indians having a sook lol.....

I don't understand the need to mention Pakistan here?

Unless you are implying that Indians take a look at their neighbours to generate their sense of self worth....which is quite pitiful.

i wasnt gonna watch the documentary, but now i will. thanks india for providing it with such excellent advertisment.

Im always puzzled why indians defend modi I mean its not even a secret what he did and yet its defended blindlyv

How can they back someone whos got thousands of innocents blood on his hands and why? Bemused

Im always puzzled why indians defend modi I mean its not even a secret what he did and yet its defended blindlyv

How can they back someone whos got thousands of innocents blood on his hands and why? Bemused

You are puzzled because you are looking everything with Hindu-Muslim angle.

Gujarat happened in 2002, BJP was at the power in center. 2 years later BJP lost, Congress came in etc etc. it took Modi 12 yrs after that to become PM. He got acquitted by the Supreme Court under the Congress government. Maybe in Pakistan Supreme Court is not reliable but I trust India’s Justice system.

In the mean time Modi’s PR or political motto was always run on numbers. It might be fake or true that’s a different debate but “Gujarat economic Model” etc etc was what publicized.

That’s what the middle class voted for. Some posters will disagree and say that he ruined economy due to their political beliefs and that is fair, that’s democracy if they feel that way.

At the world stage though for every bbc documentary etc he has also played some major moves in diplomacy and trade which was acknowledged in Pakistan of all places.

Now as far as the riots itself, yes they happened and innocents were killed but you must be seriously naive to think Modi gave an order to his henchmen to kill Muslims like it happens in movies.

How many people can stop a few 100 people with guns like the Taliban or in Sialkot when the mob killed that Srilankan person? Should we say Imran Khan did it or whoever cm of that state was?

If people can’t control a few 100 people, imagine in a densely populated country when emotional sentiments high how tough it must be for the police etc. still no defending as it was an administrative failure.

However he has also suffered the consequences for it as pretty much this card is used every time even 20 years after it happened.

Also you will be surprised how many Gujarati Muslims are Modi’s vote bank. The muslim trading community in Gujarat have always been pro Modi.

Last edited:
Its a propaganda piece alright but absolutely loved the way Rishi Sunak gave a shut up call in the floor of parliament. :))

Modi was put into trial that ran for 7 years under the Congress regime and court's couldnt find a single shred of evidence against him. But then again, its an old news and we already know all this. But India's support towards Russia is too much for BBC to chew and hence this documentary suddenly after 21 years.

As for my Indian liberal brothers asking why ban this documentary, its a clear case of contempt of Indian supreme court and establishment. It is not freedom of speech to spread propaganda which may lead to communal riots. Also, it is the not the first documentary to get banned. Nirbhaya (Delhi) rape 2012 BBC documentary was also banned by then congress govt. Excellent step by govt to ban this and I fully support it.

As For my Pakistani friends who seems to be super excited, you are absolutely free to watch this documentary, no issues. Let us know how it goes. Hope they also show the Godhra incident which was the trigger of Gujarat riots of 2002.

Also funny to see people who were absolutely against BBC few weeks ago during FIFA world cup for exposing human rights in Qatar are suddenly finding them credible again :))

Amidst all this, one thing is constant though - Indians love Narendra Modi and that is what matters in the end. No amount of propaganda can change that. He is not only the PM but an aspiration of millions of people. That is why even after 9 years of rule and uncountable propaganda from every quarters, his approval rating among Indians is staggering 78%. More these propaganda pieces comes out, more people will support him. If anything, this BBC documentary only increased his popularity even more.

You are puzzled because you are looking everything with Hindu-Muslim angle.

Gujarat happened in 2002, BJP was at the power in center. 2 years later BJP lost, Congress came in etc etc. it took Modi 12 yrs after that to become PM. He got acquitted by the Supreme Court under the Congress government. Maybe in Pakistan Supreme Court is not reliable but I trust India’s Justice system.

In the mean time Modi’s PR or political motto was always run on numbers. It might be fake or true that’s a different debate but “Gujarat economic Model” etc etc was what publicized.

That’s what the middle class voted for. Some posters will disagree and say that he ruined economy due to their political beliefs and that is fair, that’s democracy if they feel that way.

At the world stage though for every bbc documentary etc he has also played some major moves in diplomacy and trade which was acknowledged in Pakistan of all places.

Now as far as the riots itself, yes they happened and innocents were killed but you must be seriously naive to think Modi gave an order to his henchmen to kill Muslims like it happens in movies.

How many people can stop a few 100 people with guns like the Taliban or in Sialkot when the mob killed that Srilankan person? Should we say Imran Khan did it or whoever cm of that state was?

If people can’t control a few 100 people, imagine in a densely populated country when emotional sentiments high how tough it must be for the police etc. still no defending as it was an administrative failure.

However he has also suffered the consequences for it as pretty much this card is used every time even 20 years after it happened.

Also you will be surprised how many Gujarati Muslims are Modi’s vote bank. The muslim trading community in Gujarat have always been pro Modi.

I think the confusion sits with you hence your bringing pakistan into this when its nothing to do with them

The justice system you applaud is the same one thay released the murderers and rapists of bilquis and her family

So are the official observers and witnesses lying who were present stating that police was stood by not doing anything to stop murders looting and raping?

He is Ind 1st and British PM 2nd

Because they agree with the genocide and thats why they support him. Without the Gujarat riots and the kilings of Muslims, Modi would not be PM of Ind. Its a badge of honours he wears with pride and the reason he draws support.

2023 and people are still crying about Modi. He has been acquitted by the court and that is the end of it.

Coming to BBC, they are a far left globalist News outlet. Modi with his Hindutva Nationalism does not subscribe to their ideology. The hate is quite palpable. BBC has lost its credibility long time ago.

One thing to remember is that the BBC documentary cannot make any dents into India's and Modi's credibility. India is here to stay. I doubt even Brits take BBC seriously now.

Incorrect. You cannot have an opinion that basically scandalized the judgement of the supreme court and holds a person proclaimed innocent as guilty. While BBC can do whatever it wants in UK, they will have no space to spread their propoganda in India.

This isn't the first time BBC has broken laws in India and its about time they are thrown out permanently.

BBC may still think that a former colony ought be put in its place, they need to realise India isnt any other colony that survives on aid from UK or is going to roll over for the gora sahib.

Under Section 2(c) of the Contempt of Courts Act of 1971, criminal contempt has been defined as the publication (whether by words, spoken or written, or by signs, or by visible representation, or otherwise) of any matter or the doing of any other act whatsoever which:
(i) Scandalises or tends to scandalise, or lowers or tends to lower the authority of, any court, or
(ii) Prejudices, or interferes or tends to interfere with the due course of any judicial proceeding, or
(iii) Interferes or tends to interfere with, or obstructs or tends to obstruct, the administration of justice in any other manner.

Its criminal contempt of court.

Find me one valid legal authority that says disagreeing with a court's decision is 'scadalising' the court. India is not a dicatatorship where institutions cannot be questioned.

Just last year Prashant Bhushan called the Supreme Court 'corrupt', the court got angry, threatened to sent him to jail, but after a massive public outcry, had to backtrack in humiliation and give him a fine of exactly Rs 1 .

Read this and educate yourself -
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-53826125

The only recourse Modi has with the person who disagrees is sueing the person for defamation which in this case is the BBC. He cannot abuse the authority of the state.

Ordering an inquiry into an incident of another country is a violation of that country's sovereignty. And no diplomats cannot talk to anyone they want. There are protocols for that.

Again, this is total nonsense that you conjured out of thin air.

Yesterday, somebody asked Sushant Sareen on some internet show if this was breaking protocol and he said it was perfectly normal for a diplomat and every country does it. Even a bhakt like Sushant know there's nothing wrong with what the british diplomat did. But you make up your own protocols here on PP :91:

Last edited by a moderator:
2023 and people are still crying about Modi. He has been acquitted by the court and that is the end of it.

Coming to BBC, they are a far left globalist News outlet. Modi with his Hindutva Nationalism does not subscribe to their ideology. The hate is quite palpable. BBC has lost its credibility long time ago.

One thing to remember is that the BBC documentary cannot make any dents into India's and Modi's credibility. India is here to stay. I doubt even Brits take BBC seriously now.

Indians and their massive inferiority complex .. it makes me lol.

All you have to do is disagree with BBC documentary. That's it. So simple. Instead you have people moaning about colonialism, gora this gora that, grievance peddling, banning tweets etc .. it's embarrassing to see as an Indian :facepalm:

Have some self respect.

Indians and their massive inferiority complex .. it makes me lol.

All you have to do is disagree with BBC documentary. That's it. So simple. Instead you have people moaning about colonialism, gora this gora that, grievance peddling, banning tweets etc .. it's embarrassing to see as an Indian :facepalm:

Have some self respect.

Indians think that the documentary is done because of White racism. It is indeed embarrassing to see Indians cry about racism.

I don't understand the need to mention Pakistan here?

Unless you are implying that Indians take a look at their neighbours to generate their sense of self worth....which is quite pitiful.

Pakistan gets a mention because wasn't the MP who raised the issue in British Parliment of Pakistani origin.

Also kids like Bilwal little boi button mentioning butcher of Gujarat etc...

Pakistanis obviously seems to have a lot to say about India, which makes little sense compared to be absolute disaster that Pakistan currently is in, they need to focus on better things.

Last edited:
Pakistan gets a mention because wasn't the MP who raised the issue in British Parliment of Pakistani origin.

Also kids like Bilwal little boi button mentioning butcher of Gujarat etc...

Pakistanis obviously seems to have a lot to say about India, which makes little sense compared to be absolute disaster that Pakistan currently is in, they need to focus on better things.

In this era of internet and social media - everyone will have an opinion on everything

Even Indian keep mocking fun of Pakistan's desperate economic situation all the time. So its par for the course

But ultimately all this counts for little. Social media is mostly a side show. Never makes much of a differnce on the ground

I think the confusion sits with you hence your bringing pakistan into this when its nothing to do with them

The justice system you applaud is the same one thay released the murderers and rapists of bilquis and her family

So are the official observers and witnesses lying who were present stating that police was stood by not doing anything to stop murders looting and raping?

Rapists of Bilkis Bano spent 12 years in prison before being released on parole. Its not that they were let off. They have been released on parole as per law. There was nothing illegal. Bilkis Bano has the right to challenge the parole in a court of law.

Which official observer?

Witnesses were called to court and examined. Not even one could prove that Modi had given any instructions to police to not to act.

More than 250 people have been convicted for their involvement in the riots

Rapists of Bilkis Bano spent 12 years in prison before being released on parole. Its not that they were let off. They have been released on parole as per law. There was nothing illegal. Bilkis Bano has the right to challenge the parole in a court of law.

Which official observer?

Witnesses were called to court and examined. Not even one could prove that Modi had given any instructions to police to not to act.

More than 250 people have been convicted for their involvement in the riots

Released on parole as per law?

They were sentenced for Gang rapes and murder of 14 members of one family and modis govt approved their premature release despite a storm of opposition from all over the country including the opposition party, a court and federal prosecutors

The release was in contravention of guidelines issued by the federal govt and state govt which have stated convicts of such heinous and depraved crimes cannot be granted remission and should be served till death

Members of modis party garlanded the accused who were treated as heroes on their release

All this done by Modis govt and you ask us to believe he had nothing to do with all those deaths in gujurat

Last edited:

True. Indians should not care too much about this film. Modi will win every election given his political acumen, popularity and more importantly, he will win every election due to the feats and strides India has made in science, technology, foreign relations under his tenures and the boost Indian economy had experiences under Modi. He is one of the greatest leaders in the world!

Banana Republic of India?

==

The plans of a section of Jawaharlal Nehru University students to screen a banned BBC documentary on Prime Minister Narendra Modi this evening got knocked for a six as both power and electricity went out in the Students' Union office. Ayeshi Ghosh, president of the Left-backed Students' Federation of India, alleged that the administration was responsible for the blackout.

"The administration has cut the internet and power in order to stifle the voice of democracy. However, we will not stop and watch the documentary with the help of mobile phones using QR codes," she told NDTV. The JNU administration was not available for comment.

The screening of the documentary was set to begin at 9 pm and the students had planned to go ahead with it despite the disapproval of the administration.

The JNU administration had refused to give permission for the screening of the documentary, which India has blocked from online sharing. The university administration had even declared that disciplinary action will be taken if the documentary is screened.

But the students insisted that the screening would not violate any rule of the university, nor would it spoil communal harmony. After the blackout late this evening, they trooped into a cafeteria inside the campus, where they watched the documentary on their cellphones and laptops.

NDTV

The University of Hyderabad has sought a report from its officials after a students' group screened a BBC documentary on Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the 2002 Gujarat riots.

The university Registrar Devesh Nigam in a statement said the students' group, which calls itself "Fraternity Movement", screened the BBC film "India: The Modi Question" at a shopping complex in the North Campus without taking permission.

Despite being told to stop the screening, the organisers continued to play the controversial documentary, which India has called a "propaganda piece" that lacks objectivity and reflects a colonial mindset. India has also blocked the documentary from being shared online.

"On receiving information, the security team and the Dean, Students' Welfare, rushed to the venue and requested the organisers to stop the screening of the documentary. However, the organisers did not accede to this request and continued the screening of the documentary in presence of few students," the Registrar said in the statement.

Mr Nigam said the students violated university rules by not taking permission before the screening. He said no untoward incident happened and the campus is "quiet and peaceful".

"...Though the event passed off peacefully, the university has asked for the report on the event for taking further necessary action," the Registrar said.

NDTV

The indian posters here are exhibiting significant signs of the Streisand Effect

20 years of legal battle , Supreme Court approves its SIT’s clean chit to PM Modi in the Gujarat riots case.

Yeahh.. BBC from foreign country knows more than Supreme Court.

BBC should be banned in India permanently for spreading false news.

Released on parole as per law?

They were sentenced for Gang rapes and murder of 14 members of one family and modis govt approved their premature release despite a storm of opposition from all over the country including the opposition party, a court and federal prosecutors

The release was in contravention of guidelines issued by the federal govt and state govt which have stated convicts of such heinous and depraved crimes cannot be granted remission and should be served till death

Members of modis party garlanded the accused who were treated as heroes on their release

All this done by Modis govt and you ask us to believe he had nothing to do with all those deaths in gujurat

The parole was by parole board. Bilkis Bano challenged it in the court.

The case is being heard.

They were welcomed by their families and neighbours etc.

Dont believe.

Back