[VIDEO] Azeem Rafiq gives evidence to MPs at racism hearing

You are completely clueless about the British constitution and the facts of the Azim Rafiq.

Racism is not necessarily a crime heard in a criminal court where the matter has to be proved beyond reasonable doubt.

Employment matters, which the Rafiq matter is, is heard in an employment tribunal which is a civil court. In a civil court you don’t prove beyond reasonable doubt but base decision on balance of probability.

Rafiq case has been settled out of court! There was enough evidence for a claim to be accepted by the courts and settlement claims were made much earlier than last week by Yorkshire CCC who are advised by employment solicitors.

Now that is cleared then lots focus on the facts….

Rafiq being good or bad character is irrelevant

Rafiq taking one week or ten years to report a matter can be considered acceptable if a valid reason is given

Rafiq being a good or bad player is irrelevant

Again to repeat myself again my dear friend….

Rafiq reported racism and no action / not enough action taken and not adequately investigated

Eventually a top law firm (Squire Patton and Boggs) have been paid by YCCC to write an independent report. One of the findings is that the word p*ki is merely banter! This report would have been approved by the board before being published.

Much of this report is now public and since then existing players have admitted using the p*ki word or being encouraging or dismissive of racism or failing to report it!

This my dear boy is a huge, monumental sporting scandal yet you can’t see it! You seem to be obsessed with words such as snowflake and opportunistic when the perpetrators, YCCC, ECB and witnesses have either confirmed or admitted that racism took place.

Rafiq has been given a payout as the above is a scandal where he is a victim.

Speaking of UK constitution as mentioned above, more lies, there is no such thing as UK constitution. Figures given the guy above was spoon fed UK law last night.

Yes folks, Azeem received a payout.

Hook line and sinker.

Proves the point. He wanted money and played the racist victim card. Tsk tak.

Now we have a pretend lawyer above who claims racism is sometimes not a crime. Don’t delay claim today folks!

Played the game, literally. Where is [MENTION=139981]HitWicket[/MENTION] now who claimed Azeem didn’t get a payout? Blag.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ld-never-have-been-put-through-this-7x0knc2fz

Speaking of UK constitution as mentioned above, more lies, there is no such thing as UK constitution. Figures given the guy above was spoon fed UK law last night.

Hook line and sinker.

Now we have a pretend lawyer above who claims racism is sometimes not a crime. Don’t delay claim today folks!

Played the game, literally. Where is [MENTION=139981]HitWicket[/MENTION] now who claimed Azeem didn’t get a payout? Blag.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ld-never-have-been-put-through-this-7x0knc2fz

Please stop embarrassing yourself.

To submit a claim at an employment tribunal, you fill out an ET1 form and if the court accepts the claim then they make Yorkshire CCC aware to defend.

Yorkshire chose to pay out as they are ready to accept blame.

There are two reasons why you go to an employment tribunal:

1) get a verdict from the judge that your claim is upheld

2) judge then awards you money

Money is a form of compensation

I feel like you really need a basic grasp of law before you attempt to debate it

As I stated, there is no such thing as UK constitution.

Do not fall for the fancy big words readers, at the very least, verify everything you read.

The above post is just collateral damage control; yes indeed.

:)

As I stated, there is no such thing as UK constitution.

Do not fall for the fancy big words readers, at the very least, verify everything you read.

The above post is just collateral damage control; yes indeed.

Did you just say there is no such thing as a UK / British constitution and you argue law whilst being clueless?

What’s next? There are no cricket bats in cricket?

If I were in the poster’s position above I would cite the UK constitution and move on.

If only such a thing existed.

Chocolate cake all round folks!

You are wasting your time mate, he'll just keep shifting the goalposts. I think some people never been outside their bedroom, getting all their answers from google.

You were meant to back your claims where I said casual racism was OK. Citation please? Don’t be riding your failure on the coattails of others.

You got caught lying, admit it and move on.

To the readers, there is NO UK constitution. UK law is defined by precedence and not a codified constitution.

Look it up yourself.

Do not fall for the lies from posters who have been exposed for their ignorance and pretend to know UK law.

Ignore the ignorant above.

The UK does have a constitution. It is an unwritten constitution but it does exist: The United Kingdom constitution is composed of the laws and rules
that create the institutions of the state, regulate the relationships
between those institutions, or regulate the relationship between the
state and the individual.
These laws and rules are not codified in a single, written document.

https://www.parliament.uk/globalass...constitutional-reform/The-UK-Constitution.pdf

The UK does have a constitution, but it is more verbal and based on convention & tradition / gentleman’s agreement. Bit quirky really.

The UK does have a constitution, but it is more verbal and based on convention & tradition / gentleman’s agreement. Bit quirky really.

Based on precedence, no codified constitution unlike the USA constitution which can be cited in a court of law.

lol, he doesn't even know what a constitution is.

It doesn't have to be one single document.

And of course the UK constitution can be cited in a court of law - it is, literally, every single day.

A constitution is simply, by definition: a body of fundamental principles or established precedents according to which a state or other organization is acknowledged to be governed.

That is all. Therefore UK does have a constitution and it is cited every day.

I repeat, ignore the ignorant. They can continue to dig and make fools of themselves.

The UK constitution is based on precedence and statutory law.

lol, he doesn't even know what a constitution is.

It doesn't have to be one single document.

And of course the UK constitution can be cited in a court of law - it is, literally, every single day.

A constitution is simply, by definition: a body of fundamental principles or established precedents according to which a state or other organization is acknowledged to be governed.

That is all. Therefore UK does have a constitution and it is cited every day.

I repeat, ignore the ignorant. They can continue to dig and make fools of themselves.

Correct.
The judges refer to statutory law, failing which precedence (judgements made in previous cases)
Both these together make up the Constitution.

Hook line and sinker.

Except as we both know that's not how the conversation went. You claimed that Azeem was in it purely for the money and the reason he rejected a 6 figure payout was because he wanted a 7 figure payout rather than wanting actual change to happen. Now that Yorkshire have committed to actually listening and taking onboard what is said by those who have been victims of racism at the club he's accepted the 6 figure (not the 7 you claimed he was waiting for) payout, a chunk of which is going to charity. Yorkshire also haven't been able to put any kind of non-disclosure agreement as a condition as they attempted to previously in an attempt to silence people about the issues rather than actually deal with them.

Except as we both know that's not how the conversation went. You claimed that Azeem was in it purely for the money and the reason he rejected a 6 figure payout was because he wanted a 7 figure payout rather than wanting actual change to happen. Now that Yorkshire have committed to actually listening and taking onboard what is said by those who have been victims of racism at the club he's accepted the 6 figure (not the 7 you claimed he was waiting for) payout, a chunk of which is going to charity. Yorkshire also haven't been able to put any kind of non-disclosure agreement as a condition as they attempted to previously in an attempt to silence people about the issues rather than actually deal with them.

I was right, he went for 6 figures a payout, irrespective of 7 figures. You were wrong, he rejected a payout.

I was right, he went for 6 figures a payout, irrespective of 7 figures. You were wrong, he rejected a payout.

You claimed he was in it purely for a payout, if that were true why wouldn't he have taken the 6 figure payout when it was originally offered, why would he wait until Yorkshire actually made some verbal committments to listening to people's issues and working on improving (and then donate a chunk of it to charity)?

Last edited:
This was fascinating but also tough to watch.

Imo he is credible. It seems this was a case of long term bullying of Azeem. The way the club have dealt with him is disgusting.

His child dies but the club did not offer any support.

I also agree racism does exist in Yorkshire and other counties. The numbers don't lie, cricket is played by so many young Asians yet they are not selected going forward. This has to change and Azeem has made the difference.

He deserves a huge payout.

You claimed he was in it purely for a payout, if that were true why wouldn't he have taken the 6 figure payout when it was originally offered, why would he wait until Yorkshire actually made some committments to listening to people's issues and working on improving (and then donate a chunk of it to charity)?

I was correct, it was for a payout. You on the other hand claimed Azeem refused to accept a payout.

Accept you were wrong, in the same way you were wrong when claiming England refused to tour Pakistan due to security grounds when it turned out to be fatigue!

Save the rest of the word salad.

Last edited:
I was correct, it was for a payout

You claimed that Azeem was in it purely for the money and was waiting until he got a 7 figure payout. He didn't hold out for a 7 figure payout and the fact that he accepted the same size payout he was originally offering after Yorkshire made a verbal committmentment to change (and donated a chunk of it to charity) indicates pretty clearly that he wasn't in it purely for money, you were wrong. Just like the multiple other times you've been wrong or stated false information on this very topic.

You on the other hand claimed Azeem refused to accept a payout.

I claimed he turned down a payout, because that is exactly what he did until Yorkshire stopped indicating they were trying to sweep the whole mess under the carpet.

The worst thing that can happen at this Yorkshire place going forward is an unstated quota for Asian players where a couple of roly-poly Ravi Bopara/Samit Patel types who wouldn't even make a Ranji team end up getting free slots in this county.

The worst thing that can happen at this Yorkshire place going forward is an unstated quota for Asian players where a couple of roly-poly Ravi Bopara/Samit Patel types who wouldn't even make a Ranji team end up getting free slots in this county.

That wouldn’t happen.

All of us who have worked in cultures outside our own, especially if we're racial and religious minorities, try and best to succeed. We play the game. I've played it, living and working in the US. But there's always a feeling of otherness, hard to explain, hard to sometimes even feel. It's those times when your white colleagues huddle together at a party and you don't know where you fit. It's those times when you're looked at sideways at a gas station in Southern Georgia and you want to get the hell out of there. And when that otherness gets reinforced by snide remarks, racist overtones, then it can get to be devastating. I never had the latter happen to me, but Rafiq did.

I know exactly what he went through; you want to make it in the system, but you start to lose your sense of self worth while doing it. Again, my experience in the US has been phenomenal, but I know what can go wrong as a minority. Rafiq had that happen to him.

Therefore, I'm not sure where some posters are going with the notion that Rafiq is in this for purely, or even mainly, selfish and commercial reasons. To me he is a hero in the finest sense of the word, a flawed human being who has fought doggedly for what he thought was right, and what indeed is the right thing. Who all through has conducted himself with a lot of dignity, grace under pressure even. He was even concerned for Ballance, for gods sake!

For example why did he return to Yorkshire? His answer was that he needed to put food on the table. In acknowledging his own frailty he speaks for all of us. We all have to make compromises, we all have to do the best we can for our families. He represents all of us. But he also has gone beyond most of us in attempting to take on the entire system. He is bringing to the surface the angst of a lot of minorities, the struggles they have faced and continue to face, but which few acknowledge.

We cannot expect him to be some perfect, blemish free action figure; that sort exists only in the realm of fiction. Even my ideal Mahatma Gandhi had huge flaws.

When cricket historians look back at these events, Rafiq, at the least, will be regarded as someone who made a signal, original contribution to the game.

Former Yorkshire and Hampshire bowler Tino Best says cricket needs to tackle a "drinking culture" which is "hampering" opportunities for black and Asian players.

The retired West Indies international, 40, spent the 2010 season at Yorkshire and played alongside Azeem Rafiq, who on Tuesday said English cricket was "institutionally" racist.

During Rafiq's emotional testimony to the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee he described how aged 15 and a practising Muslim, he was pinned down by a senior player at his local cricket club and red wine was poured into his mouth.

He said he did not drink alcohol again until "around 2012" when he felt he had to "to fit in" at Yorkshire

Best told BBC Sport: "The culture around cricket is drinking. That is a big problem. People shouldn't be pressured to go into the clubhouse and drink eight or nine pints to be a part of the team. You've got to stop bullying people into doing what they don't want to do.

"If you're not a part of the drinking culture, if you're not a part of the boys' club, you're not going to get opportunities after cricket. That is something that is hampering people of colour and Asian ethnicity."

England and Wales Cricket Board chief executive Tom Harrison told MPs on Tuesday that the governing body will take a close look at the dressing room culture within cricket, and there was no place for racism.

Rafiq was giving evidence to MPs after a report found he was a victim of "racial harassment and bullying" but Yorkshire said they would not discipline anyone.

Best says he was surprised to discover he was named in the report. He'd written an email to Rafiq's lawyer about the treatment of players of Pakistani heritage, which was referenced by the panel, but neither they nor the investigating team had tried to contact Best for an interview or to seek any further information.

"My time at Yorkshire, I always saw the guys Adil Rashid, Ajmal Shahzad, Rafiq, they were always together," he said.

"Me being a person of colour as well, I would always be with them as well. I would always hear about them complaining, literally they would complain every day about what they went through, in the youth academy. I would be like 'wow'."

Rafiq has spoken at length about the use of nicknames for non-white players, including 'Kevin' and 'Steve'.

Best said he did not hear this during his time at Yorkshire.

"I didn't hear anyone say anything directly but when I was at Nando's with the guys having dinner they would talk about stories and things that happened to them, and it is hurtful, I wouldn't repeat them.

"That was an awakening for me. It was just astounding to hear what those guys were saying back in 2010. And there was no platform for them to really open up because guys would have probably lost contracts, probably kicked out of the club. Guys were fearful of that."

Best on incident with Moxon

Best described his time at Yorkshire as "brilliant" and "awesome", and said he was warmly received by the fans and the community. But one incident stuck with him.

He says he confronted Yorkshire's director of cricket Martyn Moxon last year over a comment he had previously made when he told Best after a game "I will put you on the next flight to Barbados, I'll send you home".

This alleged incident between Best and Moxon was also mentioned in Rafiq's witness statement that was released in full by DCMS after Tuesday's hearing.

Best said he did not consider the comment could be taken as racist - until he heard people say "go back home, go back to your country" in league cricket.

Best said Moxon recalled the match and conversation in question, but gave what he describes as a "half-hearted explanation".

"He was saying 'oh don't try to drag me into this Black Lives Matter thing'," said Best, "I said 'I'm not dragging you into anything, I just wanted to know would you have said it to any player and what were you getting at?' And he said he would have said it to any player.

"I just said 'OK, cool, if you don't see where you went wrong, it doesn't make any sense you and I having a conversation, have a good day'. I was done with it, but when I saw Rafiq really open up the can of worms of what was happening, then I understood, OK, this is a norm. This is a normal type of behaviour that was endured at the club for those fellas.'

Moxon, who is currently absent from Yorkshire with a stress-related illness, has been approached for comment via the club.

Best said he did not agree with people being "fired" over racism, and instead believes "education is the key to moving forward".

"It is like rehab. How do you beat alcoholism? You have got to go to rehab," he said.

He said anyone implicated in cricket's racism scandal should have to undertake several months of "educational rehabilitation" before they can resume work.

He suggested that between six months and a year of training would help them "unlearn that type of behaviour".

BBC

So where are all the keyboard warriors now? Are they going to claim Best is also looking for a pay out?

In terms of the drinking culture, it is a massive issue. I am not one to judge who drinks and who doesn't, if it's right or wrong but with my time working with Essex, the drinking culture is a massive problem. From university cricket, through the age system and right into the professional game. If you do not drink then you are not considered "one of the boys". Often times, those players are then labeled as "difficult" or "problematic" or "not dedicated to team spirit". It's a sad state of affairs.

Tino Best is one of the biggest idiots this game has ever seen. He cannot be taken seriously.

Tino Best is one of the biggest idiots this game has ever seen. He cannot be taken seriously.

btw whats your take on Azeem Rafiq now. I felt bad for him, but now when i found out that he was actually best friends with Gary Ballance he even stayed at his home in Zimbabwe and attended his wedding, to me it seems just for money he sold him out.

Obviously, if you have a very good friend whose house you live and have gotten drunk with you will share jokes be it racists, even if you have problem you would let them .

This guy not only said that Ballance was racists, but even blamed his own drinking problem on others....

to me it seems he saw an opportunity and he cashed in. Yes England might have a problme of being racists, but this guy cashed in on it i suppose.

interestingly, its in 2017 they probably had a fallout when he didnt get a contract at yorkshire even after being 28 years old

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It seems like the same culprit who forced alcohol down <a href="https://twitter.com/AzeemRafiq30?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@AzeemRafiq30</a> throat is the same guy who made racial slurs to me. Ex <a href="https://twitter.com/YorkshireCCC?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@YorkshireCCC</a> & <a href="https://twitter.com/hantscricket?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@hantscricket</a> fast bowler.. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RacismIsNotBanter?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#RacismIsNotBanter</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SayNoToRacism?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SayNoToRacism</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/time4change?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#time4change</a> &#55356;&#57295; <a href="https://twitter.com/ECB_cricket?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@ECB_cricket</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/init4ChangeNotHeadlines?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#init4ChangeNotHeadlines</a> <a href="https://t.co/RNjDudHHeN">https://t.co/RNjDudHHeN</a></p>— BM Shafayat (@bshafayat46) <a href="https://twitter.com/bshafayat46/status/1461286541964320768?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 18, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

btw whats your take on Azeem Rafiq now. I felt bad for him, but now when i found out that he was actually best friends with Gary Ballance he even stayed at his home in Zimbabwe and attended his wedding, to me it seems just for money he sold him out.

Obviously, if you have a very good friend whose house you live and have gotten drunk with you will share jokes be it racists, even if you have problem you would let them .

This guy not only said that Ballance was racists, but even blamed his own drinking problem on others....

to me it seems he saw an opportunity and he cashed in. Yes England might have a problme of being racists, but this guy cashed in on it i suppose.

interestingly, its in 2017 they probably had a fallout when he didnt get a contract at yorkshire even after being 28 years old

I suggest you read all arguments for and against racist behaviour in this and other threads. Don't look for brownie points for acing as a devils advocate.

If he was just looking for cash, then he could have got more by signing a non-disclosure agreement with Yorkshire. Also he wouldn't have given a good chunk of it away to charity.

That he stayed at Ballance's family home is a bit strange though, but I wonder if he was just there as part of a large group of cricketers? Would need to know more about that, it does sound on the surface like he has been a bit duplicitous, but without hearing more can't really comment.

If he was just looking for cash, then he could have got more by signing a non-disclosure agreement with Yorkshire. Also he wouldn't have given a good chunk of it away to charity.

That he stayed at Ballance's family home is a bit strange though, but I wonder if he was just there as part of a large group of cricketers? Would need to know more about that, it does sound on the surface like he has been a bit duplicitous, but without hearing more can't really comment.

He talks quite extensively about his relationship with Balance in his testimony and statement.

They were friends initially (Ballance actually got a fair amount of abuse too, according to Azeem) but their relationship 'deteriorated' later on.

He talks quite extensively about his relationship with Balance in his testimony and statement.

They were friends initially (Ballance actually got a fair amount of abuse too, according to Azeem) but their relationship 'deteriorated' later on.

There you go then. Without all the facts, we can't just make assumptions about someone's character. We can only really judge on the facts, and Ballance himself has admitted using racist and derogatory language.

It’s funny some of the usual suspects are resorting to character and ability assassination of Rafiq.

It doesn’t really matter what you say. He’s opened a Pandora’s box and he is changing English cricket fundamentally. You carry on hiding behind a screen and show your lovely personalities.

Judging by some of the posts I think racism is here to stay.
Easier for the person who experiences racism to remain quiet then to speak out and have the insecure vultures destroy their character.

I suggest you read all arguments for and against racist behaviour in this and other threads. Don't look for brownie points for acing as a devils advocate.

Read it, and there is nothing interesting in this case.

Only if i had a white best friend with whom i drank and shared racists jokes with to an extent thay i lived in his place and attended his marriage, i would had also been able to cash in....

England is probably racists, not denying that, but the creadibility of all this matters.... Like ballance said, he choose not to mention the things rafiq said or else then this whole case becomes about creadibility

If someone was being racists to you, would you be praising him in the media? Would be attending his wedding? Would you be staying at his home in a foreign country?

The fact that he blamed his drinking problem to this is absured.....

I cant deny racism is a problem, but would had been better if someone with better creadibility came forward. Interestingly we now have tino best come out.

He is a propagandist.

He has produced nothing but weak and feeble evidence against everyone else and it is motivated by personal gains.

He has been provided with a platform that is extremely biased. He is being heard and supported by people who are not giving the accused an equal platform to present their side of the story and are bullying them into apologizing based on weak evidence.

Rafiq has become the jury and the judge; there is no proper investigation and inquiry going on, and this is why his own past behavior has not been highlighted.

If this was an honest, objective inquiry, him abusing the U-19 England coach on Twitter in 2010 would have been discussed as well and he would have been questioned on it. Why was he compelled to abuse the coach and did he apologize for it?

Simply brushing it under the carpet by coming with excuses such as he was young, it was a mistake etc. means nothing. You can use that defense for the people whom he is accusing of racism as well.

The way he abused the England U19 coach on Twitter actually proves two things. First, he has the tendency to blame others for his failures. He will not take ownership of his actions and will play victim to justify himself.

If he was serious about his career and committed to prove himself as a player, he would have reacted positively to getting axed. He would have worked harder and returned a better player but instead, he chose to be a coward about it and resorted to abuse to channel his frustration and disappointment.

Moreover, the fact that he abused showed that he himself has the mindset of a racist. If he was white and the England U19 coach was non-white, instead of calling him a w*nker, he would have most likely racially abused him.

He himself is a racist and a bigger one than the people he is falsely accusing.

It is clear that Rafiq is a despicable person. A hypocrite and a liar who deserves no sympathy.

He is also an opportunist because if he didn’t turn out to be a rubbish cricketer and would have had a successful career with England, he wouldn’t be doing this propaganda now.

He is blaming racism for flopping as a cricketer, which is laughable because Yorkshire put him on a pedestal and gave him all the chances in the world but he couldn’t deliver.

Last edited:
So much drivel in that post that I stopped reading it after the bit about the accused not being given the platform..

haha To be honest I stopped reading the moment i saw the name. Learnt this very early in my PakPassion days ;-)

It is obvious some posters have excellent knowledge and I can learn from them and it is also obvious a few are just ignorant ignoramus trolls with nothing of any value - ignore!

Excellent response to an overseas individual from a privileged society in Pakistan who could never relate to these issues.

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] I bet no one in your life has ever called you a p***. I've lived in a white dominated neighbourhood since birth and have been subject to the racist slur since I was 6 years old.

You have no idea what we go through and it's exactly why I also speak up for the oppressed minorities in Pakistan but unlike you, I have the decency not to derail this thread because this isn't the place to discuss it. There are plenty of threads on timepass to put your points forward on this matter.

As I have said multiple times, I have a lot of family in the UK and I have spent a lot of time in the UK.

This is why I have considerable affection for the England cricket team. In fact, I consider England as my second home because if I didn’t have the misfortune of being a Pakistani, I would have loved to live in the UK.

In fact, I deeply regret that my father choice to join the civil service instead of becoming a doctor like his brother and cousins who all left for the UK.

So I may not relate at a personal level because I haven’t lived in the UK on a permanent basis and nor did I go there for education/work so there was no reason for me to me racially targeted.

However, I have seen my family members thrive in the UK and never once complain about being racially abused.

I think the difference is that are educated, intelligent and qualified professionals who did not need excuses and racism card to excel unlike the illiterate or poorly educated Pakistanis who went to the UK in droves to work in cotton mill and other factories. They had to play victim to have their way and they have passed the same mindset to their children.

I am personally disappointed to see your views on this subject considering the fact both you and your father are highly educated. You should be better than this.

If someone was being racists to you, would you be praising him in the media? Would be attending his wedding? Would you be staying at his home in a foreign country?

The fact that he blamed his drinking problem to this is absured.....

I cant deny racism is a problem, but would had been better if someone with better creadibility came forward. Interestingly we now have tino best come out.

I think the BLM movement has made people sit up and realise that they don't have to take casual racism. That wasn't the case 10 years ago. Suddenly you are getting lots of black people opening up about racist abuse they put up with during their lifetime, not just ordinary Joes either, we are talking about sports stars and celebrities. Are you going to call all of them liars as well?

Realistically, who is going to know better, them or a wannabe immigrant?

I think the BLM movement has made people sit up and realise that they don't have to take casual racism. That wasn't the case 10 years ago. Suddenly you are getting lots of black people opening up about racist abuse they put up with during their lifetime, not just ordinary Joes either, we are talking about sports stars and celebrities. Are you going to call all of them liars as well?

Realistically, who is going to know better, them or a wannabe immigrant?

turns out rafiq himself is a bigger racist. go figure..

Really feel bad for Ballance. A friend who lived in his house ended up sabotaging him.

turns out rafiq himself is a bigger racist. go figure..

Really feel bad for Ballance. A friend who lived in his house ended up sabotaging him.

A penny for the thoughts of the DCMS select committee…

Just a few days ago he was the victim whose every word they believed, hook, line and sinker.

Now they’ve discovered that at 19 he was an anti-Semite that shared women with his friend Atif, and that at 26 he was mocking Africa and black people.

Chairs of the 18 first-class counties along with ECB and PCA representatives will meet to discuss an agenda on equality, diversity, and inclusion in English cricket.

Think I've missed something here, what's this about?

He made two apologies yesterday…

He firstly apologised for his anti-semitic comments.

Later in the day, he apologised for twice posting an urdu meme 4 years ago on Instagram, that mocked Africa and black people.

He made two apologies yesterday…

He firstly apologised for his anti-semitic comments.

Later in the day, he apologised for twice posting an urdu meme 4 years ago on Instagram, that mocked Africa and black people.

Could you link to the second one?

This guy who doesn’t even know me, never spent any time with me, was talking about my personal drinking, going out. That was David Lloyd, England coach, commentator. I found it disturbing because Sky are supposedly doing this amazing work on bringing racism to the front, and within a week of me speaking out that got sent to me and I thought ‘there’s some closet racists. I need to do something about it.’”

thumbnail_IMG-20211118-WA0016.jpg

David Lloyd didn't need to know him to comment on his drinking, it was common knowledge in the cricket community. It was one of the first things I was told about him when his allegations face came into the public domain over a year ago.

Given that we now know that he too is a racist, his comments about Sky and closet racists didn't take very long to age very badly.

PRESS RELEASE - 19 NOVEMBER 2021 - CRICKET UNITES TO ACT AGAINST DISCRIMINATION

Following an all-game meeting at The Kia Oval, cricket today committed to taking wide-ranging action to tackle discrimination and promote inclusion and diversity at all levels.

The ECB, the MCC, the PCA, NCCA and the First Class and Recreational County Cricket network met in the wake of recent revelations about discrimination in the game.

They have committed to tangible action and discussed several areas of focus including stamping out discrimination, making cricket more open and inclusive and ensuring effective governance and leadership. The group worked through a series of actions that aim to tackle the serious questions being asked of the sport. Each individually agreed to consult with their stakeholders before coming together as a game next week and publishing further details.

The ECB, the MCC, the PCA, NCCA and the First Class and Recreational County Cricket network, said:

“Azeem Rafiq has shone a light on our game that has shocked, shamed and saddened us all.

“Racism and discrimination is a blight on our game. To Azeem and all those who have experienced any form of discrimination, we are truly sorry. Our sport did not welcome you, our game did not accept you as we should have done. We apologise unreservedly for your suffering.

“We stand together against discrimination in all its forms, and are united as a sport to act. We will continue to listen, and make swift, positive changes to the culture of the game. We will embrace and celebrate differences everywhere, knowing that with diversity, we are stronger.

“Today, as a game, we discussed a series of tangible commitments to make cricket a sport where everyone feels safe, and everyone feels included. We will now finalise the detail and publish these actions next week.

“Our game must win back your trust.”

View attachment 11379

David Lloyd didn't need to know him to comment on his drinking, it was common knowledge in the cricket community. It was one of the first things I was told about him when his allegations face came into the public domain over a year ago.

Given that we now know that he too is a racist, his comments about Sky and closet racists didn't take very long to age very badly.
Why the character assassination?

Why the character assassination?

This guy who doesn’t even know me, never spent any time with me, was talking about my personal drinking, going out. That was David Lloyd, England coach, commentator. I found it disturbing because Sky are supposedly doing this amazing work on bringing racism to the front, and within a week of me speaking out that got sent to me and I thought ‘there’s some closet racists. I need to do something about it.’”

I was responding to the points raised about a) drinking and b) closet racists

a) His drinking was common knowledge not just within the cricket community but in the Leeds area. I'd rather watch paint dry than take a blind bit of interest in county cricket, but even I knew about it.

When the story about him broke I was at my uncle's, my cousin who is about 25, way way younger than me, said, "Have you heard about that pisshead?"

David Lloyd would have a far greater insight than Joe Bloggs here into his social habits, without the need to ever spend a minute in his company.

b) Rafiq, already a known heavy drinker, and now, thanks to his comments about Jewish people and his mocking of black people outed as a racist, had the sheer audacity to label Lloyd, a man who time and time again has stood up for Pakistan cricket, a "closet racist," and that that was something he needed to do something about.

He might be better advised to jhaankh his muunh in his own gharbayan when it comes to doing something about closet racists.

(Just realised you might not be an Urdu speaker, this basically means taking a look at oneself).

Last edited:
I was responding to the points raised about a) drinking and b) closet racists

a) His drinking was common knowledge not just within the cricket community but in the Leeds area. I'd rather watch paint dry than take a blind bit of interest in county cricket, but even I knew about it.

When the story about him broke I was at my uncle's, my cousin who is about 25, way way younger than me, said, "Have you heard about that pisshead?"

David Lloyd would have a far greater insight than Joe Bloggs here into his social habits, without the need to ever spend a minute in his company.

b) Rafiq, already a known heavy drinker, and now, thanks to his comments about Jewish people and his mocking of black people outed as a racist, had the sheer audacity to label Lloyd, a man who time and time again has stood up for Pakistan cricket, a "closet racist," and that that was something he needed to do something about.

He might be better advised to jhaankh his muunh in his own gharbayan when it comes to doing something about closet racists.

(Just realised you might not be an Urdu speaker, this basically means taking a look at oneself).

Sorry this "jhaankh his muunh" business doesnt work when you are pointing out issues in the soceity.

If you see an evil, point it out.

If you had done the same thing to others - say it and admit to it and be ready to accept the consequences.

Azeem has been fighting tooth and nail for more than a year on this and kudos to him for that.

Sorry this "jhaankh his muunh" business doesnt work when you are pointing out issues in the soceity.

If you see an evil, point it out.

If you had done the same thing to others - say it and admit to it and be ready to accept the consequences.

Exactly….

He has recall of racist incidents from he was 15, and racist comments that are over a decade old…

His own racist behaviour falls into that time period, his mocking of black people (twice) is indeed only 4 years old

Tell me…if that savvy Times journalist hadn’t gone through Rafiq’s social media on Wednesday evening, do you honestly think he’d have told us that he too had perpetrated racism?

He stated purging his social media content very late on Wednesday night…who knows what went into the recycle bin!

Exactly….

He has recall of racist incidents from he was 15, and racist comments that are over a decade old…

His own racist behaviour falls into that time period, his mocking of black people (twice) is indeed only 4 years old

Tell me…if that savvy Times journalist hadn’t gone through Rafiq’s social media on Wednesday evening, do you honestly think he’d have told us that he too had perpetrated racism?

He stated purging his social media content very late on Wednesday night…who knows what went into the recycle bin!

Concentrate on what he he brought to light.

He has pointed out issues which are being looked at now and not being brushed under the carpet.

Struggling to answer my question?

Listen to this carefully.

Most here don't really care about Azeem Rafiq. It doesn't matter what he did in his youth or even in his adult life.

All we care about is that light has been shed on racism.

Whether he was a drunk, racist alcoholic himself is irrelevant especially as ECB and Clinties have themselves admitted that institutional racism exists in Cricket.

That's really all that matters.

Struggling to answer my question?

I did answer - in a roundabout manner :D

Ok what I meant was that whatever Azeem has done or not done, the fact remains he has pointed out an issue in English cricket which needs to be looked at.

Does this clarify?

I did answer - in a roundabout manner :D

I think you mean in a round and round the roundabout manner :D

It clarifies the point that you know full well that if he had purged his social media content in advance of that journalist scrolling through it, we’d never have known of his own racist tendencies.

I think you mean in a round and round the roundabout manner :D

It clarifies the point that you know full well that if he had purged his social media content in advance of that journalist scrolling through it, we’d never have known of his own racist tendencies.

Once again, Azeem Rafiq is not on trial at the moment - its the issue of racism in English cricket.

I really have nothing more to add here.

All we care about is that light has been shed on racism.

Light, which otherwise wouldn’t have been, has also been shed on his own racism, and like you just said, shedding light on racism is what matters

Last edited:

Light, which otherwise wouldn’t have been, has also been shed on his own racism, and like you just said, shedding light on racism is what matters

Spot on.
So maybe it's time to move on?

[/B]

As I have said multiple times, I have a lot of family in the UK and I have spent a lot of time in the UK.

This is why I have considerable affection for the England cricket team. In fact, I consider England as my second home because if I didn’t have the misfortune of being a Pakistani, I would have loved to live in the UK.

In fact, I deeply regret that my father choice to join the civil service instead of becoming a doctor like his brother and cousins who all left for the UK.

So I may not relate at a personal level because I haven’t lived in the UK on a permanent basis and nor did I go there for education/work so there was no reason for me to me racially targeted.

However, I have seen my family members thrive in the UK and never once complain about being racially abused.

I think the difference is that are educated, intelligent and qualified professionals who did not need excuses and racism card to excel unlike the illiterate or poorly educated Pakistanis who went to the UK in droves to work in cotton mill and other factories. They had to play victim to have their way and they have passed the same mindset to their children.

I am personally disappointed to see your views on this subject considering the fact both you and your father are highly educated. You should be better than this.

Don't get me wrong, I've never played the race card. I've always put my head down and focused on my education, job and career.

For example, recently, I got racially profiled by a director of my firm. I won't go into details as I don't want to bore you. My boss was with me at the time and he had my back as he quickly to try steer the conversation the other way.

If I wanted to, I could have complained to my boss who could have escalated the matter but I didn't want the drama and chose to focus on my job.

Going back to the topic of the thread, it's hard to sympathise with him after being exposed as someone who was a racist himself.

However, your views on most if not all British Pakistanis seems to reek of prejudice and hatred Yes there's many Pakistanis/Asians who play the race card but you can't just assume this to always be the case.

But what concerned me the most about you was when you stuck up for the Afghan supporters, who went out beating up Pakistani fans during that 2019 WC match. It was an unprovoked and cowardly act as they were seen targeting not just groups of Pakistani men but more of those who attended the game with their families.

I despise many of the British Pakistanis like yourself but I would never wish violence upon anyone.

Don't get me wrong, I've never played the race card. I've always put my head down and focused on my education, job and career.

For example, recently, I got racially profiled by a director of my firm. I won't go into details as I don't want to bore you. My boss was with me at the time and he had my back as he quickly to try steer the conversation the other way.

If I wanted to, I could have complained to my boss who could have escalated the matter but I didn't want the drama and chose to focus on my job.

Going back to the topic of the thread, it's hard to sympathise with him after being exposed as someone who was a racist himself.

However, your views on most if not all British Pakistanis seems to reek of prejudice and hatred Yes there's many Pakistanis/Asians who play the race card but you can't just assume this to always be the case.

But what concerned me the most about you was when you stuck up for the Afghan supporters, who went out beating up Pakistani fans during that 2019 WC match. It was an unprovoked and cowardly act as they were seen targeting not just groups of Pakistani men but more of those who attended the game with their families.

I despise many of the British Pakistanis like yourself but I would never wish violence upon anyone.

Topspin me old mucker, maybe those Afghans weren't representative of all Afghans, and maybe they weren't targeting all British Pakistanis, just the many that you yourself despise. Yes it was inexcusable, but given your own and Mamoon's views, perhaps it was just emotional overload which led to those unfortunate events?

Topspin me old mucker, maybe those Afghans weren't representative of all Afghans, and maybe they weren't targeting all British Pakistanis, just the many that you yourself despise. Yes it was inexcusable, but given your own and Mamoon's views, perhaps it was just emotional overload which led to those unfortunate events?

I agree with that, I'm only speaking of the violent Afghan fans who turned up on the day.

To answer your question, it was clearly pre-mediated. They came in as mobs looking to harm Pakistan supporters.

I agree with that, I'm only speaking of the violent Afghan fans who turned up on the day.

To answer your question, it was clearly pre-mediated. They came in as mobs looking to harm Pakistan supporters.

It's another topic and I have no desire to get side tracked into why that might have happened. Let's take it up in the appropriate thread.

Azeem Rafiq is not the face of change that he thought he was. Not the best message to send when you are fighting for massive changes to be made in the game. However, that doesn't change the fact that there needs to be change. Even though he is a hypocrite, there were at least 7 claims of racism that Yorkshire themselves acknowledged, so reforms still should be introduced. Azeem is not the role model in this saga, though.

He has been very bravery can't be questioned as purseing any case against a big organisation is very hard and you feel alone.

Sporting bodies have not done enough to tackle racism - and scandal-hit Yorkshire Cricket Club is "stuck in the dark ages", cabinet minister Sajid Javid has told Sky News.

He also accused cricket bosses of not taking the issue "very seriously", revealing he had discussed the problem of discrimination in the game with them more than five years ago when he was culture secretary.

Speaking to Trevor Phillips On Sunday, the senior Conservative frontbencher said the England and Wales Cricket Board needed to "take a long, hard look at themselves".

Mr Javid made his strong criticism amid the continuing fallout of the racism row that has rocked the sport, following the shocking testimony of whistleblower Azeem Rafiq about the abuse he suffered during his time at Yorkshire.

It comes as the under-fire ECB chief executive Tom Harrison insisted he had no intention of stepping down and said he was "determined to lead" the game through the current crisis, following an emergency summit of the sport's leading figures on Friday.

Mr Javid, told Phillips that the racial slurs used at Yorkshire have never been just "banter".

The health secretary said: "When I was growing up as a kid I was called P*** almost every day at school, I didn't like it then, I don't like it now.

"I think the good news is our country has come a long, long way since then, but clearly not every institution in the country has taken that journey and it's clear to everyone now that Yorkshire County Cricket Club is one of those institutions that have been stuck in the dark ages and needs to change.

"The ECB should be doing its job to make sure this is taken seriously throughout cricketing in the UK."

Pressed over whether the government needed to stop trusting sporting bodies and step in, Mr Javid said: "I think it's a very good question because I think the sporting authorities, whether it's football, cricket, they talk the talk, but what have they actually done that's really helping?"

He added: "I remember when I was the culture secretary and overseeing sport in this country, I remember meeting the ECB then about issues of racial discrimination in cricket, and they were telling me what they were going to do, and look where we are now many years later, look at what's happening, look at what's been uncovered.

"I don't think the ECB has taken this issue very seriously. I think they need to take a long, hard look at themselves. And now this is a real test for them and let's see if they can pass it."

https://news.sky.com/story/stuck-in...to-tackle-racism-12474481?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Sporting bodies have not done enough to tackle racism - and scandal-hit Yorkshire Cricket Club is "stuck in the dark ages", cabinet minister Sajid Javid has told Sky News.

He also accused cricket bosses of not taking the issue "very seriously", revealing he had discussed the problem of discrimination in the game with them more than five years ago when he was culture secretary.

Speaking to Trevor Phillips On Sunday, the senior Conservative frontbencher said the England and Wales Cricket Board needed to "take a long, hard look at themselves".

Mr Javid made his strong criticism amid the continuing fallout of the racism row that has rocked the sport, following the shocking testimony of whistleblower Azeem Rafiq about the abuse he suffered during his time at Yorkshire.

It comes as the under-fire ECB chief executive Tom Harrison insisted he had no intention of stepping down and said he was "determined to lead" the game through the current crisis, following an emergency summit of the sport's leading figures on Friday.

Mr Javid, told Phillips that the racial slurs used at Yorkshire have never been just "banter".

The health secretary said: "When I was growing up as a kid I was called P*** almost every day at school, I didn't like it then, I don't like it now.

"I think the good news is our country has come a long, long way since then, but clearly not every institution in the country has taken that journey and it's clear to everyone now that Yorkshire County Cricket Club is one of those institutions that have been stuck in the dark ages and needs to change.

"The ECB should be doing its job to make sure this is taken seriously throughout cricketing in the UK."

Pressed over whether the government needed to stop trusting sporting bodies and step in, Mr Javid said: "I think it's a very good question because I think the sporting authorities, whether it's football, cricket, they talk the talk, but what have they actually done that's really helping?"

He added: "I remember when I was the culture secretary and overseeing sport in this country, I remember meeting the ECB then about issues of racial discrimination in cricket, and they were telling me what they were going to do, and look where we are now many years later, look at what's happening, look at what's been uncovered.

"I don't think the ECB has taken this issue very seriously. I think they need to take a long, hard look at themselves. And now this is a real test for them and let's see if they can pass it."

https://news.sky.com/story/stuck-in...to-tackle-racism-12474481?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12163/12476492/jahid-ahmed-becomes-third-former-essex-player-to-make-allegations-of-racism

Jahid Ahmed has become the latest former Essex player to allege he was the subject of racist abuse while playing for the club.

In an interview with The Cricketer, Ahmed says he concluded that Essex was "a white man's world where brown people were outsiders" after being asked by a team-mate if he was "going to bomb" the club.

The 35-year-old also says his voice was mocked and mimicked by both players and some members of the coaching staff and that he felt pressured to attend a team meeting in a pub while he was fasting during Ramadan.

Former fast bowler Ahmed played seven first-class matches between 2005 and 2009 during his time at Essex.

The new development follows allegations made earlier this month by former Essex batter Zoheb Sharif, who said he received racist abuse that included being called "bomber" by his team-mates after the 9/11 attacks in the United States.

Another former Essex player, Maurice Chambers, has also described how he was allegedly subjected to racist bullying for 10 years at the club, including having bananas thrown at him and frequently being subjected to racist jokes.

In response to Ahmed's allegations, Essex chief executive John Stephenson said in a statement: "I am disheartened to learn of these new historic racial allegations from a former player about several of his ex-teammates and a previous member of staff.

"The allegations reported to The Cricketer make difficult reading and they will be treated and investigated with the utmost seriousness.

"I have reached out to him to offer him our full support, and I hope he feels encouraged and comfortable enough to be a part of our imminent investigation.

"At the end of last week, we announced that the club will be working with Katharine Newton QC to focus on these allegations which have recently come to light.

"Ms Newton specialises in employment and discrimination cases and has widespread experience covering an extensive range of issues.

"Having someone of this stature looking into these allegations will allow us to complete a thorough and detailed independent investigation.

"During the short time I've been back at the club we've made significant steps and I'm determined to tackle this head-on and improve our game for the better.

"It is clear as a sport there is a lot of work to be done, but we are moving in the right direction. The next period is going to be extremely difficult, especially for those sharing their experiences, but together we will come out the other side better for it.

"We pride ourselves on our multicultural and diverse values and we hope the outcome of the investigation will help us improve and develop us as people and as a club."

John Faragher resigned as Essex chairman on November 11 following a claim he used racist language at a board meeting in 2017, which he strongly denied.

Cricket has been engulfed in a racism scandal initially prompted by allegations made by Azeem Rafiq, who spoke about his experiences of racism at former club Yorkshire.

Yorkshire was widely condemned for saying it would not discipline anyone despite a report finding Rafiq was a victim of "racial harassment and bullying".

Rafiq aired his full and harrowing allegations in the public arena at a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee hearing earlier this month.

A commission looking at discrimination in cricket has been "inundated" with more than 2,000 responses in the fortnight since it opened a call for evidence, its chair has said.

The Independent Commission for Equity in Cricket (ICEC), set up by the England and Wales Cricket Board in March, opened an anonymous online survey on November 9 asking for people's views on the culture of the game.

Commission chair Cindy Butts said there had been a huge response, at a time when a number of allegations of racism within the game have been reported.

"Since launching part one of our call for evidence we have been inundated with responses," Butts said.

"More than two thousand people across the country have come forward to share their experiences both through the survey and also by directly reaching out to the ICEC. We anticipate that more and more people will come forward.

"We continue to urge anyone who has experienced discrimination whether that be sexism, elitism or racism, to respond to our call for evidence so we can examine the state of equity in cricket."

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/other-sport/majid-haq-calls-for-investigation-into-alleged-institutional-racism-at-cricket-scotland-3470430

Majid Haq said he was "treated like a criminal" as he detailed how his international career was brought to an abrupt halt by the governing body after posting a race-related tweet during the 2015 World Cup.

Haq, who was born in Paisley, made 209 appearances for Scotland over a 13-year period but was suspended and never picked again after posting a comment which read: "Always tougher when you're in the minority! #colour #race".

He has now called for an independent inquiry into Cricket Scotland alongside former team-mate Qasim Sheikh as the pair opened up on the alleged racism suffered during their careers during an interview with Sky Sports News.

"I was treated like a criminal," Haq said. "In 2015 I put out a tweet saying it's tougher in the minority. I was on the next flight home, that shows how tough it can be. I felt isolated and I felt I was right, but I was told by the organisation to delete the tweet and apologise. I never did, why should I apologise for something I believe in?
"Over the last six years, that's made me believe in things even more. There needs to be some anonymity for those who are brave enough to speak up.

"I never played again, and that is something I used to love doing. I am still the leading wicket-taker of all time for Scotland.

"Three months later, a white player complained about being left out of a squad and they did a massive U-turn within a day. There were different rules for him and different rules for me.

"A lot of people have asked me if I think Cricket Scotland are institutionally racist - I think they are. An investigation would show that they are.

"There are a lot of failings in the processes and the opportunities Asian cricketers are getting compared to a white player."

Sheikh also believes his Scotland career was brought to an end for speaking out after suffering alleged racist abuse.

"Why not conduct an investigation?" he said. "I've had so many messages from people suggesting they've faced racism. Let's have an investigation and let's find out the truth."

Lawyer Aamer Anwar, who has been supporting both players, added: "I think Cricket Scotland are in denial and individuals involved with cricketing in Scotland are still in the dark ages.

"Cricket in Scotland has not faced up to the fact it is institutionally racist, and they are not diverse as a body and they have failed to tackle it."

Cricket Scotland has vowed to investigate and deal with any allegations of racism and hopes a recently launched an Equality Action Plan will help create positive change.

"Cricket Scotland operates a zero-tolerance policy to all forms of racism and discrimination and condemns racism in all its forms," a statement read.

"We won't discuss individual cases at this stage, but we would re-iterate that any allegations of racism or other forms of harassment - whether recent or historic incidents - that come out of that consultation, or that are reported separately to Cricket Scotland, will be thoroughly and properly investigated and dealt with. We would encourage everyone to engage with those processes."

Not got a massive amount of sympathy in Majid Haqs case personally. He's Scotland's most capped player ever and was left out for a game in the back end of the world cup where he had performed pretty averagely and Scotland had already been knocked out. It's a sensible time to be giving a game to some younger players who have been bench warning for the entire tournament. He publicly claimed it was instead racial discrimination by Cricket Scotland with absolutely no proof of that, and refused to withdraw his accusation, at which point Scotland don't really have much choice except to send him home. He continued to stand by his claim and therefore Scotland continued not to pick him, which he continues to claim is racism.

Last edited:
England captain Joe Root says he hopes to meet with Azeem Rafiq once the Ashes tour is over.

Rafiq was "hurt" when Root said he had not witnessed instances of racism when the pair were team-mates at Yorkshire.

Rafiq also alleged that Root was present on nights out when a when a racist term about Rafiq's Pakistani heritage was used towards him.

"Hopefully we'll get the opportunity to sit down and talk about this whole situation," said Root.

"I stand by what I said. I don't recall those instances. If they are oversights on my part, that's an area which I have to learn from."

Almost two weeks ago, Rafiq told MPs at a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee that English cricket is "institutionally racist".

As part of his testimony, he claimed that Yorkshire batter Gary Ballance used the term 'Kevin' as a racial slur during his four-your spell playing for England from 2013 to 2017.

Root is one of eight players on the Ashes tour that played for England with Ballance

He said he could not comment on the specific allegation because of a "live investigation", but added: "Clearly it's a phrase that should never be used in a dressing room or any part of society."

England are due to play their second and final warm-up match before the Ashes begin on 8 December against England Lions in Brisbane from Tuesday.

The four-day match will be the first time the Ashes squad has been together, with players who have been in quarantine after their late arrival in Australia from the T20 World Cup only travelling to Brisbane from the Gold Coast on the morning of the game.

Rain meant only 29 overs were possible in England's first warm-up game last week and more bad weather is forecast.

"Obviously we would benefit from having this game," said Root. "If we don't we'll have to be smart and work around it, prepare as best we can."

All-rounder Ben Stokes, who has returned to the England squad after a period away from the game to heal a broken finger and protect his mental well-being, revealed in his Mirror column that he was struck on the arm whilst batting in the nets.

"It was a little bit of a concern," said Root. "To see him get hit like that was a scare. He seems to have come through it pretty well.

"We'll keep assessing to make sure it doesn't have a prolonged effect on him."

BBC

Joe Root is a decent guy. But sometimes (because of this) I think he only sees the good in people, and less so the bad. If there was institutional racism happening under his nose, which we are pretty sure by now that there was, then this aforementioned personal perspective of Joe's may have caused him to miss it.

Casual racism was often passed off as banter previously, and to be fair, that's what it was. Standards have changed and there's been a shift in public perception, much like there was in accepting homosexuality a generation ago. People like Root are palpably decent, but now everyone is re-evaluating their own standards.

Casual racism was often passed off as banter previously, and to be fair, that's what it was. Standards have changed and there's been a shift in public perception, much like there was in accepting homosexuality a generation ago. People like Root are palpably decent, but now everyone is re-evaluating their own standards.

Good point.

The definition of decent may now change.

I still think he is a nice guy though ---
and for the England team this is not always a good thing.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">From the moment I spoke out about my experiences at YCCC, my family and I have been subjected to threats, attacks & intimidation <br><br>Absolutely no individual or their family should be made to feel unsafe & I urge people to respect that</p>— Azeem Rafiq (@AzeemRafiq30) <a href="https://twitter.com/AzeemRafiq30/status/1542160926769545222?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 29, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Police end investigation into Azeem Rafiq’s claim team-mate forced wine down his throat

Police have shelved an investigation into whether Azeem Rafiq had red wine forcibly poured down his throat by a former Yorkshire player while he was still a child, citing “evidential difficulties”.

Rafiq’s accusation he had been pinned down in a vehicle as a young Muslim and made to drink alcohol by someone he said also featured for Hampshire was among the most shocking moments of his tearful testimony in front of the Digital, Culture, Media & Sport select committee in November.

Telegraph Sport has learnt the matter became the subject of a months-long investigation by South Yorkshire Police, during which the alleged perpetrator and a witness were both interviewed.

Confirming its probe had now been shelved, the force said: “South Yorkshire Police investigated allegations made by the complainant and two people were interviewed as part of the inquiry. The investigation was filed due to evidential difficulties.”

A spokesman for Rafiq – who blew the whistle on the Yorkshire racism scandal and will be the chief witness in the upcoming Cricket Discipline Commission hearing into the saga – said: “Several months ago, the police interviewed Azeem about an assault suffered when he was 15. The police offered Azeem the opportunity to take this further, but he did not want to turn this into a criminal matter and declined their offer.”

Rafiq told MPs the red wine incident occurred when he was playing for Barnsley Cricket Club – now called Barnsley Woolley Miners CC – one of the most famous amateur clubs in Yorkshire, which counts Sir Geoffrey Boycott, Dickie Bird, Darren Gough and Sir Michael Parkinson among its alumni.

The club said: “BWMCC welcomes the thorough investigation carried out by the police and would like to view this matter as now closed.

“We as a club have always prided ourselves on being a friendly, diverse and safe place to play cricket at all ages and levels.”

The club had already said following Rafiq’s testimony that they stood ready to investigate themselves, but that he had provided no information about the alleged incident since they approached him “within 90 minutes” of first being notified about it the previous year.

They added: “We did initiate a search of our welfare records and contacted our former safeguarding officer and there is no record of any incident being reported at that or any other time. We repeat, if Azeem wants to provide those details, we will, of course, initiate an investigation.”

A spokesman for Rafiq declined to comment at the time, with Telegraph Sport told the latter’s failure to comply was due to him co-operating with Yorkshire’s inquiry into his claims of racism there and he planned to provide further information in due course.

Rafiq told MPs last year: “15 years old, I got it literally down my throat and the player played for Yorkshire, played for Hampshire and yeah, it was quite an experience.”

He also chronicled the alleged incident in a witness statement published by the committee, which read: “Drinking after games and socialising with team-mates is a big part of the club culture in Yorkshire. I had already had a bad experience at 16: while at Barnsley Cricket Club I had been held down and, despite people knowing I was Muslim, had wine forcefully poured down my throat. It was traumatic and upsetting because it was against my religion and culture. At YCCC, it was never forced, but there was an entrenched drinking culture which had the effect of isolating Muslim Asian players: if you didn’t drink, you didn’t fit in.

“In some instances, I was ridiculed for not drinking. I also observed that other players who were drinking and socialising with others were getting on better with everyone and progressing with their cricket. I felt pressured to conform to this, so I took up drinking in an effort to fit in around 2012. And initially, it helped – I made my breakthrough that same year, I felt like I was fitting in better and felt less like an outsider. But I never felt happy with myself, or within myself, after consuming alcohol as I knew it was against my religion and all the values that my parents had instilled in me. When I drank, I became someone who was not true to myself and I felt ashamed. But if I wasn’t drinking with the others, I didn’t fit in. Either way, it felt like I was in no man’s land.”

Meanwhile, Rafiq has denied having called a black player ‘Kevin’ after it emerged the investigation panel appointed by Yorkshire in the case found he had done so.

A spokesman for the former spinner – who himself accused former team-mate Gary Ballance of using the name as a racist insult – said: “This allegation was not put to Azeem during the process and he does not know who it is the panel was referring to. It is a term that Azeem has never used, but one that Azeem exposed as being widely used across the game. We are aware that at least one player has admitted to using this term.

“The way this was handled is symptomatic of how the panel and Yorkshire County Cricket Club interfered with what was supposed to be an independent report. For example, the panel removed the investigation into institutional racism from the remit of this process for reasons that have never been explained. Nevertheless, the report itself reached the only rational conclusion – that Azeem was subjected to racism and bullying.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket...hobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1660845888-1

Back