[VIDEO] "I will always cherish my time in Pak but USA has given me new opportunities": Hammad Azam

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
[VIDEO] "I will always cherish my time in Pak but USA has given me new opportunities": Hammad Azam

Hammad Azam chats to Saj about why he left Pakistan to start a new life in USA, reflects on playing just 15 times for Pakistan, the growth of cricket in USA, his hope to play for USA in future and more.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WwNif5Q0D3c" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Stark warning from Hammad for PCB and I guess all other boards about losing players to US.

I understand he doesn't want to burn bridges with the PCB but once he qualifies to play for the USA, there will literally be no turning back.

USA cricket growing and growing it seems. Jason Roy is a massive coup

After his matching winning knock against India in under 19 WC, he continue to get chances based on that but never was able to make an impression at higher level. He had no chance to break into national team , and did the right decision to move to USA. Don't think he will even make it to USA team in 3-4 years.

USA cricket growing and growing it seems. Jason Roy is a massive coup

Jason Roy is finished as far as international cricket is concerned.

Cricket in USA might not be that big but the opportunities it gives to the players and their families is great especially for cricketers based in Asia and Caribbean.

Stop start international career.

He never got a run of matches which is what a player needs. He was picked for a match or two, then dropped, then recalled and dropped again.

You aren't going to see the best of any player when this happens.

Stop start international career.

He never got a run of matches which is what a player needs. He was picked for a match or two, then dropped, then recalled and dropped again.

You aren't going to see the best of any player when this happens.

On basis of what?
He wasn't even a domestic bully and never truly dominated the domestic like Khurram Manzoor and others. Just a few decent years but when he got in PSL on that basis he flopped again. Mediocre.

He had a lot of potential Shahid Afridi never gave him a consistent run for unknown reasons

On basis of what?
He wasn't even a domestic bully and never truly dominated the domestic like Khurram Manzoor and others. Just a few decent years but when he got in PSL on that basis he flopped again. Mediocre.
I think he did pretty well in domestic, he was regularly up there in the PCB rankings. His stats were pretty good for an allrounder, there weren’t many with better numbers. He also often batted lower down yet still decent averages. PSL he had a few matches but didn’t click. It happens.

But really his performance in u19 is what made people hype him. He had a lot of comparisons to Razzaq. With a reputation for finishing games.

I’m surprised we gave up on someone who was so hyped early on in his age. I think it was worth giving more chances. Similar to Sami aslam in way though Sami was probably a worse situation, Sami was breaking records in u19 and hitting 50s against England. I think people didn’t like Hammad bowled a bit slow, but I don’t think that’s enough reason to discard him when his main job is the finishing role down the order.

In the last decade or so, the batsmen that were the most hyped at U19/young cricket were umar akmal, Babar, Sami aslam, Imam ul haq and Hammad Azam. I think Hammad and Sami are unlucky to have not got more chances. Personally if you perform at youth cricket, and then do decently at domestic, those sort of players have the highest chance of making it at international level. They tend to have a higher ceiling as they figured out how to be good players even before they stepped into proper domestic. So as long as they can make the jump from u19 to domestic, they are worth considering. Wouldn’t discard them so easily.

Stark warning from Hammad for PCB and I guess all other boards about losing players to US.

Not sure what’s the issue here?

If doctors, engineers, MBA and many other classes of white and blue caller workers go to USA, Middle East etc to earn a living a pursue their careers, then why can’t Pakistan produced cricketers go abroad and do the same?

Plus, with the current situation - who wants to live in Pak and follow a career where honesty and hard work actually pays off? Sorry to say but, not in Pakistan.

Pakistanis must go to play cricket in USA

He had a lot of potential Shahid Afridi never gave him a consistent run for unknown reasons

Well from what I remember, Abdul Razzaq was around and he was very good friends with him.

He is mediocre cricketer. His batting is meh and bowling is even worse. Pakistan had better players than him.

After his matching winning knock against India in under 19 WC, he continue to get chances based on that but never was able to make an impression at higher level. He had no chance to break into national team , and did the right decision to move to USA. Don't think he will even make it to USA team in 3-4 years.

I don’t think he was given fair chances. He may have not been statistically great, but he showed a lot of mental toughness in the u19 wc which was way beyond his years - and as displayed by Steve Waugh and similar players, that can carry you very far. (And no, I’m not comparing him to Steve Waugh)

However, in his international games it seems he was forced on to the captain at the time (Misbah or malik) can’t remember who it was, but they played him low down the other and didn’t give him a bowl.

A typical sneaky tactic by pak captains when they are given a player that isn’t in their inner circle.

Pathetic whoever the captain was at that time.

I think he did pretty well in domestic, he was regularly up there in the PCB rankings. His stats were pretty good for an allrounder, there weren’t many with better numbers. He also often batted lower down yet still decent averages. PSL he had a few matches but didn’t click. It happens.

But really his performance in u19 is what made people hype him. He had a lot of comparisons to Razzaq. With a reputation for finishing games.

I’m surprised we gave up on someone who was so hyped early on in his age. I think it was worth giving more chances. Similar to Sami aslam in way though Sami was probably a worse situation, Sami was breaking records in u19 and hitting 50s against England. I think people didn’t like Hammad bowled a bit slow, but I don’t think that’s enough reason to discard him when his main job is the finishing role down the order.

In the last decade or so, the batsmen that were the most hyped at U19/young cricket were umar akmal, Babar, Sami aslam, Imam ul haq and Hammad Azam. I think Hammad and Sami are unlucky to have not got more chances. Personally if you perform at youth cricket, and then do decently at domestic, those sort of players have the highest chance of making it at international level. They tend to have a higher ceiling as they figured out how to be good players even before they stepped into proper domestic. So as long as they can make the jump from u19 to domestic, they are worth considering. Wouldn’t discard them so easily.
115 kph bowler and a potential lower order-hitter.
Basically an inferior version of Anwar Ali. No, thank you.

His entire career is based on a few wild hoicks in a big under 19 WC game: I remember thinking at the time that he wasn’t anywhere as good as the hype he was getting and time has proven that correct

His entire career is based on a few wild hoicks in a big under 19 WC game: I remember thinking at the time that he wasn’t anywhere as good as the hype he was getting and time has proven that correct

I don't think you'd get into the national team on several occasions based on just a few wild hoicks.

The guy showed some potential at times.

Pakistanis can't get the big checks from IPL, so they will start looking elsewhere. Plus the fact that USA cricket will basically take anyone right now.

Pakistanis can't get the big checks from IPL, so they will start looking elsewhere. Plus the fact that USA cricket will basically take anyone right now.

If they can play in UAE T20 leagues then this should be fine too - the problem is when they get poached to play for USA - that can be an existential issue.

Several players from Pakistan are reportedly plying their trade in the United States without obtaining permission from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB). The PCB is worried about the development and is all set to ensure that it does not happen anymore.

According to a report in Cricket Pakistan, several cricketers from Pakistan are trying to go to the United States and play their cricketer. The cricketers are considering playing there as more lucrative. The Major League Cricket (MLC) will only make them even more desperate to head to the United States.

The PCB, on its part, is closely observing the situation and has taken measures to regulate the situation. The governing body of the game in Pakistan has now made it mandatory for the players to obtain a No Objection Certificate (NOC) before participating in overseas leagues.

However, it has not yielded the desired results so far. The report stated that over 15 Pakistani players opted against seeking official permission from the PCB before engaging in cricket activities in the United States. In response, the PCB has issued show-cause notices to players.

In response to the show-cause notice from the PCB, few players have insisted that they have acquired American citizenship. As a result, they do not need permission from the PCB to play in overseas leagues. But when the Pakistan cricket authorities approached them to provide evidence supporting their citizenship status, they failed to come up with any response.

The players have also not provided a formal declaration of their unavailability for future participation in the Pakistan team or domestic cricket. The report further stated that Sohaib Maqsood, Arshad Iqbal, Aarish Ali, Hussain Talat, Ali Shafiq, Imad Butt, Usman Shanwari, Umaid Asif, Zeeshan Ashraf, Saif Badar, Mukhtar Ahmed, and Nauman Anwar didn’t obtain any NOC from PCB before playing in the Houston Open Tournament.

A few players like Salman Arshad, Mussadiq Ahmed, Imran Khan Junior, Ali Nasir, and Hussain Talat are currently playing in the ongoing Minor League without taking permission from PCB.

Back