[VIDEO] "If Babar does want to open, then he will have to bring in power in addition to the touch that he already has in his game": Imad Wasim

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Imad Wasim explaining his thought process regarding Babar's involvement in white-ball cricket:

"This is what I try and tell people that powerplay means you have to do power hitting in it"

"Babar is not a power-player, but he is a touch player"

"There class players and Babar is one of them and he is a touch player and there aren't that many in this world"

"But the T20 format needs power at the start, although you may need touch play when wickets have been lost and you need to regroup"

"If Babar does want to open, then he will have to bring in power in addition to the touch that he already has in his game"

Good to see that he isn't mocking anyone and just giving his opinion.

Difference between Imad and Amir is Imad still has a chance representing Pakistan therefore stays more conservative with his remarks.

Imad Wasim's point makes sense but people tend to forget context, as typical Pakistan fans do.

The likes of Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan are opening the innings because of the consistent failures of people like Ahmed Shehzad, Sharjeel Khan, Fakhar Zaman, Mohammad Hafeez, and more.

You need to understand the type of cricket environment in the country - PSL is now becoming a much better platform for young, explosive batsmen to express themselves. Therefore, it now becomes a good opportunity for the management to try and use such talents in their respective positions and tinker around with the team combination.

As a PCT fan, learn to accept and give credit to those who have served the nation. Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan have served the nation as opening batsmen.

If the board now sees an opportunity to re-brand our style of T20 cricket, then it should remain consistent in its backing of players for this purpose.

Personally, I would rather that Pakistan uses the following batting pair: Mohammad Rizwan + Saim Ayub to open, followed by Babar Azam.

Why is he talking too much these days? Babar hasn't said anything. What has Imad achieved to give Babar constant suggestions? Why can't Imad just go and play domestics and get back in the team? Why this obsession with Babar? He's not the captain anymore

Why is he talking too much these days? Babar hasn't said anything. What has Imad achieved to give Babar constant suggestions? Why can't Imad just go and play domestics and get back in the team? Why this obsession with Babar? He's not the captain anymore
Because Babar destroyed careers under his watch

He will have to pay

Is not Imad an active player of Pakistan cricket team?

I wholeheartedly agree with him, but don't like how our active players doing these tv shows and making such statements as this is exactly the reason why we are not progressing and are stuck in a system which is not going anywhere.

Maybe I missed this amazing career of Imad. He was a solid bowler who had his moments. Maybe he was hard done by by his dropping but I never saw any world beater, all I saw was controlled indippers

I feel bad for Imad. He should have played this world cup in India.

I love Babar, but that's where he made a huge mistake and trusted players like Shadab and Nawaz.

Imad in ODI is no better than nawaz or shadab. He is only good in T20s, he had his chances in t20 series against afghanistan and NZ but failed to impressed anyone.

Imad in ODI is no better than nawaz or shadab. He is only good in T20s, he had his chances in t20 series against afghanistan and NZ but failed to impressed anyone.
He is light years ahead as a batter in odis. Bowling is about the same level.

This statement from Imad is a very generic one. No real technicality in that. Everybody knows that you need to have a power-hitting ability in order to succeed in t20s. Tell me something new

This statement from Imad is a very generic one. No real technicality in that. Everybody knows that you need to have a power-hitting ability in order to succeed in t20s. Tell me something new
But Babar Azam doesn’t know that you need power to succeed in T20….or he doesn’t have power in his batting

I feel bad for Imad. He should have played this world cup in India.

I love Babar, but that's where he made a huge mistake and trusted players like Shadab and Nawaz.
Imad would have done nothing in this World Cup either and would have been deposited into the stands over after over because he has the same problem as Shadab and Nawaz - he cannot impart spin on the ball to save his life, and you can’t be successful or dangerous as a spinner in India if you can’t spin the ball.

Would he have scored more runs than Shadab and Nawaz? Maybe, but not enough runs to have changed the dynamic of Pakistan in this World Cup or to compensate for the liability he would have been with the ball.

On topic: Babar isn’t tall or strong enough to have a power game. His sixes barely clear the boundary even after he puts everything into it.

The state of his legs give a good indication of how strong he is. They are like matchsticks.

Imad would have done nothing in this World Cup either and would have been deposited into the stands over after over because he has the same problem as Shadab and Nawaz - he cannot impart spin on the ball to save his life, and you can’t be successful or dangerous as a spinner in India if you can’t spin the ball.

Would he have scored more runs than Shadab and Nawaz? Maybe, but not enough runs to have changed the dynamic of Pakistan in this World Cup or to compensate for the liability he would have been with the ball.
I just thought that Imad could have given us few overs as an opening bowler as the other 2 failed miserably.

Besides, he could have helped us with either with the bat or ball against a team like Afghanistan.

I don't operate like you and make statements like he would have done nothing as a bowler or a batsman when he was not even part of the squad. Unfortunately, we will never know. I just know that he deserved to be selected ahead of Shadab and Nawaz.

I just thought that Imad could have given us few overs as an opening bowler as the other 2 failed miserably.

Besides, he could have helped us with either with the bat or ball against a team like Afghanistan.

I don't operate like you and make statements like he would have done nothing as a bowler or a batsman when he was not even part of the squad. Unfortunately, we will never know. I just know that he deserved to be selected ahead of Shadab and Nawaz.

If Imad had played and Nawaz didn’t, you would be telling us that perhaps Nawaz would have been a better option on these pitches and Babar “missed a trick”.

If Rauf was injured we would also be hearing stories of how much Pakistan missed him and his extra pace and aggression would added bite to our bowling.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Imad had played and Nawaz didn’t, you would be telling us that perhaps Nawaz would have been a better option on these pitches and Babar “missed a trick”.

If Rauf was injured we would also be hearing stories of how much Pakistan missed him and his extra pace and aggression would added bite to our bowling.

This is an outcome of the fact that fans like you refuse to accept that we are just not good enough no matter who we select.

No, I am not. I just try to support my team and know exactly what we are capable of.

No, I am not. I just try to support my team and know exactly what we are capable of.
We are capable of only one thing and that’s playing mediocre cricket and ensuring that we cannot beat the top sides consistently.

On pute cricketing merit, with everyone fit, Pakistan is at best the 6th best cricket team in the world.

People may not like Imad personally but you cannot argue with this analysis.
His analysis is correct. However you can argue with why he is giving the analysis and what sort of conditions it presents for his potential comeback.

He is commenting on the batting position of Babar while an active player pushing for selection.

Now if Imad is selected but SSA decides to keep Babar as an opener then how does that go down in the camp?

Babar is the kind of guy who asks Fakhar to slow down when chasing 400

Tells you all that you need to know about his timid mentality

On topic: Babar isn’t tall or strong enough to have a power game. His sixes barely clear the boundary even after he puts everything into it.

The state of his legs give a good indication of how strong he is. They are like matchsticks.
Yes. He looked a lot malnutrition when he was in his teens. I think he has strong upper body and weak lower body. Its not his mistake that he is not a natural athlete but can overcome the issue thru proper diet and training

Yes. He looked a lot malnutrition when he was in his teens. I think he has strong upper body and weak lower body. Its not his mistake that he is not a natural athlete but can overcome the issue thru proper diet and training
I've not seen any Pakistani player change their physique, fitness or try to add another string to their bow ( only Hafeez a bit).

It's unlikely Babar will try to overcome anything.

I've not seen any Pakistani player change their physique, fitness or try to add another string to their bow ( only Hafeez a bit).

It's unlikely Babar will try to overcome anything.
I think malik and younis both were/are proper athletes. They maintained their body well thought their career and never looked lethargic. Youngsters should learn from them. Shoaib akhtar despite being the most unfit player who had played international cricket for pakistan but he build muscles and strength and looked proper a gym guy

I think malik and younis both were/are proper athletes. They maintained their body well thought their career and never looked lethargic. Youngsters should learn from them. Shoaib akhtar despite being the most unfit player who had played international cricket for pakistan but he build muscles and strength and looked proper a gym guy

Shoaib Akhtar was one of the fittest players around at that time.. not kidding

He was a tremendous athlete who maintained stamina by playing non stop test cricket for 12 years.

Just look at the snowflake bowlers around now and you’ll see yourself.. no “workload management” nor “fitness” issues ever with him..

Yes he was hot headed and indisciplined along with dodgy knees in the latter half of his career but that does not take away his tremendous fitness and dedication.

Now Imad Wasim will bring the power, from the buoyancy of his sofa

Shoaib Akhtar was one of the fittest players around at that time.. not kidding

He was a tremendous athlete who maintained stamina by playing non stop test cricket for 12 years.

Just look at the snowflake bowlers around now and you’ll see yourself.. no “workload management” nor “fitness” issues ever with him..

Yes he was hot headed and indisciplined along with dodgy knees in the latter half of his career but that does not take away his tremendous fitness and dedication.
I liked his dedication and passion more than his cricketing skills. A proper team man and extremely impactful player of his time when on song. Malik and you is should be the role model for young players as far as fitness is concerned

Nawaz and Shadab have been bowling bad for a long time now. We don't have any back up ready, so I suggested Imad who has always bowled well as an opening bowler. This is called discussing this great game of cricket, something you know nothing about. Now please try harder next time.

Babar is the kind of guy who asks Fakhar to slow down when chasing 400

Tells you all that you need to know about his timid mentality

Think we must have all missed that audio in the game.

Think we must have all missed that audio in the game.
Didn’t Babar tell Fakhar to not go for another big hit in the over when he connected? Go through the post match sit down between Fakhar and Babar

It’s all there!

I am okay if babar doesn't go for any crazy slogging but at least he needs to maintain a strike rate above 150+ in powerplays to justify his role as an opener.

Back