(Video) "In Pak, if you have support you're liked, if you've no support you're disliked": Sami Aslam

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
(Video) "In Pak, if you have support you're liked, if you've no support you're disliked": Sami Aslam

Sami Aslam chats with Saj about why he left Pakistan, what he feels was unfair treatment, cricket's growth in USA, his hopes to play for USA and more.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5cKGdSXwHTE" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

One of the most unlikable cricketers we’ve had in recent times. Zero introspection regarding his own mediocre performances and ability to bat even slower than Azhar Ali at half the average. It’s everyone’s fault but his.

I thought he was a decent Test batter with potential.

I watched him at Edgbsaton against England in 2016 when he made 82 and 70 and he looked excellent. Even the English media were very impressed by him.

Just 13 Tests though before it all went wrong - none of which were in Pakistan and 2 were in Australia, 2 were in New Zealand and 2 in England.

I am no hater but truthfully he had no spot in side with Azhar Ali playing the Pujara role already.

A great tragedy when you compare his career with Shan Masood. Shan has to be the luckiest cricketer ever to play for Pakistan.

Ridiculous how this guy wasn’t given a longer run of chances. He ticked all the boxes, impressive u19 record. Initial international success against U19, good domestic averages. We didn’t even have much in terms of long term competition as openers and gave chances to others who did not deserve it over Sami.

Every Pakistani cricketer has this mentality - blaming the system.
Khud mehnat nahi karni just wanna blame others.
When Sami Aslam was playing for Pakistan did he play well? He was in the test side for a good 2 years he could have worked harder and performed better. He didn't, was dropped and decided to give up and move to America which is his right but now continues to chat about Pakistan.
You left Pakistan now you have no right to speak about Pakistan.

I'm not saying there isn't favouritism in Pakistan but it has become a cheap excuse for our cricketers.

You left Pakistan now you have no right to speak about Pakistan.
He has every right to talk about what he wants, especially his Pakistan career.

He has every right to talk about what he wants, especially his Pakistan career.

When he earlier referred to having issues with Coach Abdul Rehman. Was he referring to the same Abdul Rehman who is coaching Pakistan in this T20 series?

When he earlier referred to having issues with Coach Abdul Rehman. Was he referring to the same Abdul Rehman who is coaching Pakistan in this T20 series?

This is what he said in our interview

http://pakpassion.net/component/exclusives/item/1344.html

PakPassion.net: What was your relationship with the coaches you played under and could you not speak to them about your concerns?

Sami Aslam: The coaches just want their egos massaged by the players and for the captains to be dummies. Let me give you an example, I was appointed captain of Southern Punjab when Shan Masood went on tour with Pakistan. My performances were good and the Head Coach was Abdur Rehman. He was quiet when others were captaining the team, but as soon as I became captain, he kept on interfering with my decisions on the field including field-placings, just to undermine me. He wanted ridiculous fields set which I ignored. He was looking for a reason to have a go at me whether I was batting, captaining or in the field and even had a go at me for not attempting to win a match when a ridiculous amount of runs was needed from a few overs when the light was closing in.

He had me removed as the captain as he had been looking for an excuse to have me removed from the role and complained that I wasn’t following his instructions. He had no clue about coaching yet kept on retaining his position despite so many other domestic coaches being replaced.

Yes the same guy.

As I said, he is entitled to his opinion, just like others are entitled to their opinion about him.

He obviously felt he didn't get a fair crack of the whip and that's why he left Pakistan. His call, and a decision that he feels is best for his career and future.

Several others have also made the same decision and many more have tried and failed to get a visa.

Yes the same guy.

As I said, he is entitled to his opinion, just like others are entitled to their opinion about him.

He obviously felt he didn't get a fair crack of the whip and that's why he left Pakistan. His call, and a decision that he feels is best for his career and future.

Several others have also made the same decision and many more have tried and failed to get a visa.

Looking at his record he played 5 tests in UAE and 2 in Bangladesh which means he has got chances in Asia from what he’s shown in terms of average and strike rate he doesn’t give the impression he will improve the Pakistan test team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the other formats, Test cricket is also evolving and the defensive method of playing is becoming out of date. Batsman need to be able to turn on their second gear by attacking or being more versatile with their shots. Sami Aslam is not the batsman, he is pretty much the opposite of what you want in a batsman currently.

^^ Sadly there is no room for batters like him in 2023 Test cricket anymore.

Whether he is a good player or not but what he is saying has some truth to it.
Things are not 100% fair in Pakistan. There is a lot of money in cricket - so corruption, dishonesty and injustice is a must.

Take Shan Masood and Wahab Riaz for example

He’s got one of the weakest hearts in a player.

Gave up too early when he should have stayed and fight till Atleast he was late 20s.

Seems like he was content with mediocrity and no wonder he picked a strictly middle class life in the US

He was a very good player, sadly he ended up destroying his own career and now blames other for it.

Point is, in the u19 he and babar would be the only guys that would perform while the rest did nothing. When baba got selected for national team 2015 onwards, obviously the likes of him were envious of that and also wnated to play for pakistan.

He got his test debut but was pretty decent and not good enough and got dropped because of his poor eating habis and fitness issues.

As babar made his career and imam aswell, who was i think a u19 batchmate, all this got to Sami Aslams mind.

Endes up picking fights with his coach and even tried writing a complain against him....

The guy should had just shut his mouth and quietly played on, he would had got another chance to represent Pakistan. He was highly talented and was on the raders for national team due his u19 heroics.

But he just couldnt stayed quiet could he. The Abid Ali health issue we saw, it would had most likely been Sami Aslam getting the openers spot in abids place had he been performing.

Anyways, after taking an early retirement from Pakistan crickrt, his career stands no where. Yes, he might have got residency in USA, but his career in cricket ended. Its sad looking at his cricinfo profile.

He can play these small leagues, and he will be now known as a player at the level of hammad azam, or that pacer in Canada known as kaleem i guess.

His level was much higher but he self sabotaged it.

He was a very good player, sadly he ended up destroying his own career and now blames other for it.

Point is, in the u19 he and babar would be the only guys that would perform while the rest did nothing. When baba got selected for national team 2015 onwards, obviously the likes of him were envious of that and also wnated to play for pakistan.

He got his test debut but was pretty decent and not good enough and got dropped because of his poor eating habis and fitness issues.

As babar made his career and imam aswell, who was i think a u19 batchmate, all this got to Sami Aslams mind.

Endes up picking fights with his coach and even tried writing a complain against him....

The guy should had just shut his mouth and quietly played on, he would had got another chance to represent Pakistan. He was highly talented and was on the raders for national team due his u19 heroics.

But he just couldnt stayed quiet could he. The Abid Ali health issue we saw, it would had most likely been Sami Aslam getting the openers spot in abids place had he been performing.

Anyways, after taking an early retirement from Pakistan crickrt, his career stands no where. Yes, he might have got residency in USA, but his career in cricket ended. Its sad looking at his cricinfo profile.

He can play these small leagues, and he will be now known as a player at the level of hammad azam, or that pacer in Canada known as kaleem i guess.

His level was much higher but he self sabotaged it.

I think he was harshly dropped in tests in favour of Shan. Both didn't do too well but I think Shan made the cut because he had a good attitude and better fielding and fitness. When I saw him in England he seemed like a good player. Eventually guys like Imam and Abdullah would have taken him over because they have a more professional mindset.

He’s got one of the weakest hearts in a player.

Gave up too early when he should have stayed and fight till Atleast he was late 20s.

Seems like he was content with mediocrity and no wonder he picked a strictly middle class life in the US

He'd had enough.

He basically knew he had no future in Pakistan cricket at the national level and felt it was time to move on and explore other opportunities.

As he says in the interview, he was told he had no future.

So a guy with a strike rate of 114 in T20s (and mind you this is the Mickey Mouse domestic T20s not PSL) thinks that he is being victimized by not being picked for PSL franchises

So a guy with a strike rate of 114 in T20s (and mind you this is the Mickey Mouse domestic T20s not PSL) thinks that he is being victimized by not being picked for PSL franchises

I think he was more concerned about Test cricket.

Sami Aslam in a recent interview:

"Alhamdulillah, I am satisfied with my life here (USA). I own a house and live with my family here"

"I am enjoying my cricket here. I always dreamt of playing cricket and I got a good opportunity here. I wanted to play for Pakistan but didn't get much opportunity there"

"I am looking forward to playing Major League this year. I will play for Texas Super Kings. It's a good opportunity for all of us"

"People think that less cricket is played here. But, here are a lot of opportunities for us. We play a lot of franchise cricket the whole year," he concluded."

Seems to be living the high life and making good money in the USA.

But is there anything better than playing for your country?

He'd had enough.

He basically knew he had no future in Pakistan cricket at the national level and felt it was time to move on and explore other opportunities.

As he says in the interview, he was told he had no future.

He only has himself to blame for his poor scores in international cricket Saj. Just because Shan is (unfairly) getting a free ride, that doesnt mean everybody should get a free ride.

Sami was poor. His last 8 innings in test cricket produced 22, 15, 9, 2, 51, 2, 39, & 1.

Hey he was never an ODI player but he got a lifetime opportunity to play 3 ODIs in 2016 and returned scores of 1, 8 & 24.

These guys have no shame but they put blame on others.

He only has himself to blame for his poor scores in international cricket Saj. Just because Shan is (unfairly) getting a free ride, that doesnt mean everybody should get a free ride.

Sami was poor. His last 8 innings in test cricket produced 22, 15, 9, 2, 51, 2, 39, & 1.

Hey he was never an ODI player but he got a lifetime opportunity to play 3 ODIs in 2016 and returned scores of 1, 8 & 24.

These guys have no shame but they put blame on others.

Agree even in USA, he is struggling in scoring big runs as well. I am glad PCB realized sooner and cut him loose.

I thought he was a decent Test batter with potential.

I watched him at Edgbsaton against England in 2016 when he made 82 and 70 and he looked excellent. Even the English media were very impressed by him.

Just 13 Tests though before it all went wrong - none of which were in Pakistan and 2 were in Australia, 2 were in New Zealand and 2 in England.

He was destined to be the regular opener for Pakistan both in tests and ODIs. He was performing very well starting all throughout from under 19 ,then FC and List A . I followed his progress from under 19 and thought him as a batting prodigy.

He was very much harshly treated by PCB. He didn't get a long fair run to prove himself, dropped him several times . Even he was dropped from ODI team after making a good 40 plus score in his last ODI as far as I can remember.

His decision to move was out of frustration and rightly so.

I express my sympathy for him and wish him a successful career and pious life as a Muslim in USA .

Fair enough. Wasnt the first guy to do this. Kaleem Sana also did something similar and he was expected to play for Pakistan as he was competition for a spot with Junaid Khan for the national team.

Still, i think the guy could've had a test career had he worked on his fitness and stayed around becuase Abid Ali eventually developed the heart problem.

His decision to move was out of frustration and rightly so.

I express my sympathy for him and wish him a successful career and pious life as a Muslim in USA .

I haven't seen him in a USA cricket jersey yet.

A lot of hard working Pakistanis (non cricketers) would also take the chance and move to US/UK etc if given an opportunity. The lack of merit and system in Pakistan is a hindrance and a big source of frustration for the majority here.
The monkey has grown to size of a gorilla in last few years and there's no signs of betterment any soon.

Fair enough. Wasnt the first guy to do this. Kaleem Sana also did something similar and he was expected to play for Pakistan as he was competition for a spot with Junaid Khan for the national team.

Still, i think the guy could've had a test career had he worked on his fitness and stayed around becuase Abid Ali eventually developed the heart problem.
The thing is Sami shouldn't have been passed over consistently for the likes of Shan, Imam, Shehzad etc in Tests. Apart from Azhar Ali, no one had the stats to get selected ahead of Sami.

The thing is Sami shouldn't have been passed over consistently for the likes of Shan, Imam, Shehzad etc in Tests. Apart from Azhar Ali, no one had the stats to get selected ahead of Sami.
At the time, the decision was right. Sami wasnt giving the numbers and had fitness issues. The guy ended up developing issues with Arthur and than with coach Abdul Rehman. Rehman is a great coach who has produced alot of good cricketers.

Thing is, Sami blames other peoples for his own problems.

He was a trouble maker that got caught and thrown out early on.

This guy had to perform in domestic. Later when Abid Ali developed health issues, Sami would had walked into the team if he had performance, but by than he had ran away to USA.

At the time, the decision was right. Sami wasnt giving the numbers and had fitness issues. The guy ended up developing issues with Arthur and than with coach Abdul Rehman. Rehman is a great coach who has produced alot of good cricketers.

Thing is, Sami blames other peoples for his own problems.

He was a trouble maker that got caught and thrown out early on.

This guy had to perform in domestic. Later when Abid Ali developed health issues, Sami would had walked into the team if he had performance, but by than he had ran away to USA.
What was his beef with Arthur. Did he get caught cheating on his diet or something.

What was his beef with Arthur. Did he get caught cheating on his diet or something.
Arthur was strict on fitness. There is a rumor that Arthur caught him having Karhai when he was told to avoid this food.

Came on the scene and looked set for a top career but soon became shotless. Absolutely awful, fully deserved to get dropped and good riddance to the entitled loser.

Back