[VIDEO] Netflix Removes Film 'Annapoorani' After Backlash

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Netflix has removed an Indian language film from its platform after the movie faced a backlash on social media for depicting the daughter of a Hindu priest eating meat. Hindus are India's largest religious grouping and Hindu priests, as well as their families, are typically vegetarian.

"Annapoorani - The Goddess of Food", a Tamil-language film that was released in theatres in December and aired on Netflix later the same month, was no longer available on the international streaming platform as of Thursday.

Netflix representatives in India did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

On Wednesday, protesters from the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP), a Hindu organisation with ties to Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Bharatiya Janata Party, shouted slogans against Netflix and the movie at the company's Mumbai office, according to a post on X by VHP spokesperson Shriraj Nair.

The film depicts the daughter of a Hindu temple priest in Tamil Nadu eating meat and later entering a high-stakes cooking contest, where she cooks meat.

"This film ... is intentionally released to hurt Hindu sentiments," Ramesh Solanki, who described himself as the head of an organisation called "Hindu IT Cell," said on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Solanki said he had filed a complaint to Mumbai's police about the film, listing several scenes which he said were offensive to Hindus.

Netflix and rivals like Amazon and Disney have often been at the receiving end of criticism from right-wing groups in India, one of the world's biggest streaming markets.

In 2021, Amazon offered a rare apology for some scenes in its series "Tandav", which faced court cases and complaints that it offended Hindus.

Netflix and Amazon have become hugely popular in India, which is set to grow into a $7 billion market for the sector by 2027, according to Media Partners Asia.

Source: NDTV

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't understand why in every such movie these people seem to believe that the movie was specifically made to hurt their sentiments.

I just don't understand why in every such movie these people seem to believe that the movie was specifically made to hurt their sentiments.

Why do you need to show Hindu Brahmin eating meat and offering namaz?

What was the need?

Why show a Brahmin meat?

Why show a Hindu offering namaz to make food tasty?

On top of that you name the movie after Goddess Annapoorna.

Excellent job by Netflix...surely something I don't want in my screen.

My take is different on this. Hindus must learn to ignore. I know many Brahmins that eat meat. Should not be an issue.

Hindus should not be fanatic about religion. All religions and Gods are respected by Hindus. Banning only shows insecurity.

Case Against Actor Nayanthara For 'Disrespecting Lord Ram' In Tamil Movie 'Annapoorani'

The director and producers of 'Annapoorani' and Netflix India's content head are also named in the case.One of the allegations against the accused is that they promoted 'Love Jihad' through the movie.

Bhopal: Amid outrage over the movie 'Annapoorani', a case has been registered against actor Nayanthara, the film's director and producers, and Netflix India's content head. The First Information Report, filed by a right-wing outfit in Madhya Pradesh's Jabalpur, alleges that the accused hurt religious sentiments of Hindus, disrespected Lord Ram and promoted 'love jihad' through the movie.

The FIR was filed at the Omti police station by fringe outfit Hindu Sewa Parishad and names seven accused, including Nayanthara, director Nilesh Krishnaa, producers Jatin Sethi and R Ravindran, and Netflix India's content head Monika Shergill.

The movie, which released in theatres on December 1, began streaming on Netflix on December 29. After a backlash and several police complaints, it has now been pulled from the OTT platform. Two complaints against Nayanthara and others have also been filed in Mumbai by right-wing outfits Bajrang Dal and Hindu IT Cell.

The Jabalpur case, by Hindu Sewa Parishad's founder and president Atul Jeswani, has been filed under Indian Penal Code sections pertaining to promoting enmity among groups on the grounds of religion, and common intent.

Allegations
In the FIR, the Hindu Sewa Parishad has alleged that 'Annapoorani' has hurt Hindu religious sentiments, insulted Sanatana Dharma and made baseless comments against Lord Ram.

It points to certain scenes in the movie, including one where Nayanthara, who plays the daughter of a temple priest, offers namaz wearing a hijab before making biryani. It also claims that, in one segment, a friend of the character played by Nayanthara "brainwashes" her into cutting meat, "claiming that Lord Ram and Goddess Sita also consumed meat".

Source : NDTV

My take is different on this. Hindus must learn to ignore. I know many Brahmins that eat meat. Should not be an issue.

Hindus should not be fanatic about religion. All religions and Gods are respected by Hindus. Banning only shows insecurity.

I think Islamic religion is respected more than other religions by Hindus, in the last few decades Islamic voices have been at the forefront of banning movies which offended their religious figures. Even in the thread about lack of gay Bollywood roles the hindutvas were constantly comparing to Muslim countries, this shows where they derive inspiration from.

Case Against Actor Nayanthara For 'Disrespecting Lord Ram' In Tamil Movie 'Annapoorani'

The director and producers of 'Annapoorani' and Netflix India's content head are also named in the case.One of the allegations against the accused is that they promoted 'Love Jihad' through the movie.

Bhopal: Amid outrage over the movie 'Annapoorani', a case has been registered against actor Nayanthara, the film's director and producers, and Netflix India's content head. The First Information Report, filed by a right-wing outfit in Madhya Pradesh's Jabalpur, alleges that the accused hurt religious sentiments of Hindus, disrespected Lord Ram and promoted 'love jihad' through the movie.

The FIR was filed at the Omti police station by fringe outfit Hindu Sewa Parishad and names seven accused, including Nayanthara, director Nilesh Krishnaa, producers Jatin Sethi and R Ravindran, and Netflix India's content head Monika Shergill.

The movie, which released in theatres on December 1, began streaming on Netflix on December 29. After a backlash and several police complaints, it has now been pulled from the OTT platform. Two complaints against Nayanthara and others have also been filed in Mumbai by right-wing outfits Bajrang Dal and Hindu IT Cell.

The Jabalpur case, by Hindu Sewa Parishad's founder and president Atul Jeswani, has been filed under Indian Penal Code sections pertaining to promoting enmity among groups on the grounds of religion, and common intent.

Allegations
In the FIR, the Hindu Sewa Parishad has alleged that 'Annapoorani' has hurt Hindu religious sentiments, insulted Sanatana Dharma and made baseless comments against Lord Ram.

It points to certain scenes in the movie, including one where Nayanthara, who plays the daughter of a temple priest, offers namaz wearing a hijab before making biryani. It also claims that, in one segment, a friend of the character played by Nayanthara "brainwashes" her into cutting meat, "claiming that Lord Ram and Goddess Sita also consumed meat".

Source : NDTV
Well the directors in bollywood surely love to make movies on controversies not a great move but they actually feed on such stuff for their business.

Hindus should not be fanatic about religion. All religions and Gods are respected by Hindus. Banning only
shows insecurity.

They shouldn't ignore attacks on their religion...but from what I have read it seems more so that it the actions of some Hindu characters that they find offensive than any direct disrespect of the film.

For example I find cartoon of Prophet (saw) deeply offensive but I wouldn't really care if a movie showed a random mullah going to a temple or eating pork as it's just one character. Such people probably exist in real life.

They shouldn't ignore attacks on their religion...but from what I have read it seems more so that it the actions of some Hindu characters that they find offensive than any direct disrespect of the film.

For example I find cartoon of Prophet (saw) deeply offensive but I wouldn't really care if a movie showed a random mullah going to a temple or eating pork as it's just one character. Such people probably exist in real life.
Main issue is double standards/hypocrisy. In an earlier same heroine movie,there were jokes on both hindus and Christians.As soon as the Christians made the noise,producers have removed scenes making fun of Christians. people became extra sensitive after years of such things I believe. (Earlier Even some film directors used to target certain communities )

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes, the same Hindus who say that Muslims are too serious when they speak out when the West mocks their religion, are now protesting. 🤔

Do the commies ignore anything? If THEY are not ignoring anything then why are YOU being so tolerant?

We have to match them, if not out do them. They never show tolerance, and are always ready with outrage. Commies have made outrage into an industry.

But people are still naive and say let us ignore them. Tch Tch

Ah yes, the same Hindus who say that Muslims are too serious when they speak out when the West mocks their religion, are now protesting. 🤔
I am not among those Hindus. I always admire Muslims taking to the streets to protect their religion, and I wish Hindus become like Muslims. Admirable quality.

I think, every person in this world who believes in any religion, has the right to protest against the disrespect towards his faith. If a Hindu thinks his religion was disrespected then he can protest so as Muslims and Christians as well. But the protest should be as peaceful as it can be. Laws should be followed everywhere.

Naw they are not the same Hindus, those Hindus can only do keyboard nonsense.

Naw they are not the same Hindus, those Hindus can only do keyboard nonsense.
Same here. Don't like this keyboard nonsense. Would rather they take to the streets. Hindus try to over their weakness as tolerance, that is why no one, including sickulars with hindu names respect them.

Back