[VIDEO] Salman Butt may have been let go as a consultant to the Chief Selector, but what about Kamran Akmal and Wahab Riaz?

Asad T

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
A video by yours truly. You can't fire Inzaman and Salman Butt on the pretext of conflict of interest allegations and a history of spot-fixing respectfully, but retain Wahab Riaz and Kamran Akmal. As usual, there is no consistency in the PCB's logic.

Very well said bro. Appointing Wahab (mr. Jacket) was nothing more than a blunder and a desperate attempt to get somebody on board who has some connections with the higher authority. What is the point of bringing such controversial people to PCB?
PCB seems to be out of its mind or maybe some pressure from the top can be the sole reason otherwise, no point in appointing such people.

Wahab and Kamran were cleared and both served Pakistan honourably?

Why this witch hunt against these guys? Why not go after Waqar Younis and Mushtaq Ahmed as well?

Both those people are not holding and PCB positions now.

I am viewing @Asad T views in a different way.

To me Salman Butt should not have been fired because if you do, then others have to be dealt in the same manner.

Wahab and Kamran were cleared and both served Pakistan honourably?

Why this witch hunt against these guys? Why not go after Waqar Younis and Mushtaq Ahmed as well?

Because neither Waqar nor Mushtaq have official roles in the PCB right now. Also, the point is that if the PCB got rid of Inzi because of optics, then it doesnt make sense to replace him with Wahab, who doesn't have a clean past.

While Wahab may have been "cleared," the News of the World sting against him is overwhelmingly damming.

Because neither Waqar nor Mushtaq have official roles in the PCB right now. Also, the point is that if the PCB got rid of Inzi because of optics, then it doesnt make sense to replace him with Wahab, who doesn't have a clean past.

While Wahab may have been "cleared," the News of the World sting against him is overwhelmingly damming.
The PCB investigated him (Wahab) for a few months before letting him back into the side. He missed close to a year of cricket if I remember correctly. They couldn’t find anything strong enough to implicate guilt.

Unless there is something that should have stuck, it is highly unfair to keep dragging these guys into the mud. If that’s the route you want to take, then you have to do it to EVERYONE that is suspicious.

Yes Waqar and Mushtaq are not serving PCB right now but how much money have they made off the PCB and their affiliation to Pakistan cricket since they have retired? they are still active and can be re-hired at any time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The PCB investigated him (Wahab) for a few months before letting him back into the side. He missed close to a year of cricket if I remember correctly. They couldn’t find anything strong enough to implicate guilt.

Unless there is something that should have stuck, it is highly unfair to keep dragging these guys into the mud. If that’s the route you want to take, then you have to do it to EVERYONE that is suspicious.

You make a fair point. I would kind of agree with that logic on Kamran Akmal (to some extent), but I think the evidence against Wahab looked quite damming. And even though he was cleared, in my eyes, he will always be shady. A bit like
O. J. Simpson. He may have been cleared, but common.

Last edited by a moderator:
A video by yours truly. You can't fire Inzaman and Salman Butt on the pretext of conflict of interest allegations and a history of spot-fixing respectfully, but retain Wahab Riaz and Kamran Akmal. As usual, there is no consistency in the PCB's logic.

The PCB had a conflict of interest with Inzi, as his nephew, Imam, is part of the national squad. Now, Kamran is part of the Chief Selector consultant team, and he is a cousin of Babar Azam.

You make a fair point. I would kind of agree with that logic on Kamran Akmal (to some extent), but I think the evidence against Wahab looked quite damming. And even though he was cleared, in my eyes, he will always be shady. A bit like
O. J. Simpson. He may have been cleared, but common.
What does the evidence suggest though?

The agent showed Wahab a Jacket full of cash. He made Wahab wear it so that he can pass on that cash to someone (assuming it needs to be handed to Salman Butt).

Ok, the video doesn’t show that Wahab knew what this cash was for. A guy playing his first tour for Pakistan isn’t going to be as vigilant or inquisitive as someone that has played many years for Pakistan. He would naturally just go along with what his friends are up to on nights out. Think of it from Wahab’s pov…

‘Here is a guy who is quite big with the captain and some of the senior players in our squad. He’s pretty much paying for everything on these nights out. He asked me to put on a jacket full of cash that he wants given to the skipper next time I see him. Sure, I’ll do it’.

Before the PCB and ICC did their investigation, Scotland Yard ran through the Pakistani players on tour. If there was something to implicate Kamran and Wahab, there is no way that it would evade them.

Let’s leave it at that.

Kamran was a bit shifty but he has never been convicted and its completely unfair to discriminate with someone based on an unsubstantiated allegation. He cannot be denied employment on this basis.

The same would normally have applied to Wahab, but given that it appears he is the one who is responsible for the selection of Salman Butt its normal to wonder what his motives were. Wahab is in quite a privileged position as the chief selector and has already very very quickly shown how out of touch he is with the realities of how people perceive Pakistani cricket. The guy acts surprised at the backlash around the Butt thing. Does he really have the qualities necessary for the top job?

The PCB had a conflict of interest with Inzi, as his nephew, Imam, is part of the national squad. Now, Kamran is part of the Chief Selector consultant team, and he is a cousin of Babar Azam.
Bro forget Babar. Kamran is immensely attached to his younger brother and will almost certainly try to push his selection in the national team.

Bro forget Babar. Kamran is immensely attached to his younger brother and will almost certainly try to push his selection in the national team.
He won’t do it without basis. Right now there is no basis

I completely agree. Wahab Jacket Riaz escaped scrutiny otherwise his involvement was extremely shady as well. Those who are new to Pakistan cricket probably might not be aware that this guy was brought in the team on the behest of his father. He was one of the parchi’s, albeit slightly talented, and has no real contribution to pakistan cricket. His father was also quite infamous and Wahab is the actual symbol of “model town gang”. His useless spell against Watson was overhyped and players like him promote a culture of focus on individual performance and mediocrity. This guy getting so much power is absolutely ridiculous and the fact he brought his corrupt friends as consultants just shows how bad this country has fallen.

Alot of allegations being thrown here

First of all, Butt, Asif and Amir were proven to be fixing games. There was evidence.

Wahab and Kamran were speculated, and there were allegations, but they were not proven. Kamran's name was mentioned and Wahab was shown to be wearing a jacket, but never was it proven that they were fixing or indulge in corrupt practices.

The issue is that we dont want any fixer to hold a position in PCB.

Many people dont like Kamran Akmal, even i dont like him not want him selecting players. However, i will never use an excuse that he probably fixed games so he should not be selector. Kamran Akmal was never proven to be a fixer.

I completely agree. Wahab Jacket Riaz escaped scrutiny otherwise his involvement was extremely shady as well. Those who are new to Pakistan cricket probably might not be aware that this guy was brought in the team on the behest of his father. He was one of the parchi’s, albeit slightly talented, and has no real contribution to pakistan cricket. His father was also quite infamous and Wahab is the actual symbol of “model town gang”. His useless spell against Watson was overhyped and players like him promote a culture of focus on individual performance and mediocrity. This guy getting so much power is absolutely ridiculous and the fact he brought his corrupt friends as consultants just shows how bad this country has fallen.

Wahab was a talented pacer and was on the radars of PCB since 2008. He had decent performances and in England he was selected and he proved his worth by taking a 5ver against England.

Yes, Wahab was relatively well off compared to the other guys, but the father selecting him was a masala news allegation that was thrown against him.

Also, Wahab never escaped scrutiny. PCB and ASCU investigated Wahab. Even after the 2011 World Cup, Wahab wasnt played in every game due to investigation that was taking place behind the scenes. So dont just come up here and make allegations that he escaped scrutiny. He was scrutinized and was allowed back.

Bro, no one was banned due to NOTW.

Infact, no one could be banned because of some article or sting operation.

The ban took place when EVIDENCE was discovered. The EVIDENCE was the amount of money that the players were given. Asif was about to get away with it till evidence against him was also discovered.

NOTW can mention any player they want, thing is evidence should be there. There was no evidence against Kamran Akmal or Wahab Riaz. If there was evidence, they would had been jailed in the UK and than banned by ICC.

So i dont get why you saying there may have been "cleared", when a foreign country and an international body investigated all of them.

Before the 2011 world cup, PCB also investigated Shoaib Malik, as he had money in his account with no source. He was only allowed to play cricket when he provided that source. Now based on that you cant claim that Shoaib Malik was a fixer.

Quite strange it all started from Sydney 2010, and once they are going back to Sydney ain't Kamran Akmal used to roam around with Mazhar Majeed during that ill fated Aus tour.

To make things clear these type of players with bad repute should not be given any position of authority, shame PCB acts otherwise

Wahab was a talented pacer and was on the radars of PCB since 2008. He had decent performances and in England he was selected and he proved his worth by taking a 5ver against England.

Yes, Wahab was relatively well off compared to the other guys, but the father selecting him was a masala news allegation that was thrown against him.

Also, Wahab never escaped scrutiny. PCB and ASCU investigated Wahab. Even after the 2011 World Cup, Wahab wasnt played in every game due to investigation that was taking place behind the scenes. So dont just come up here and make allegations that he escaped scrutiny. He was scrutinized and was allowed back.
Mention me one match that Wahab has won for Pakistan. I will wait.

What is going on with these clowns. Is there no common sense or any sort of policy? Zaka looks like one of the Marx brothers and it also seems like he is acting like one

agree but he was the one who bought salman butt in the PSL and defended that move.

He is not against them playing leagues but doesn't want them connected to Pakistan team

He is not against them playing leagues but doesn't want them connected to Pakistan team
you cant have ifs or buts.

If you are caught fixing, why be allowed to even earn money at league level?

There is no evidence against Wahab and only some YouTube videos where it looks like Kamran has not gone for a run out during the Sydney test. Both might not be everyone's favorite players, but we need to separate speculation and facts. Can not be calling grown men fixers without proof, plenty of real fixers going around in any case.

The fact that Wahab hired Akmal and Butt should tell us that he is a shady character himself.

Sorry but I am with Asad T on this one!

This whole set up is a joke! Chuckers and fixers are running our cricket wah bhai wah.

Wahab's appointment from that Sports Ministry to now Chief Selector is dodgy add to it he gathered his clan for such dedicated and pure job questions his commitment towards his job. hopefully he will be sacked as well

I was thinking the same... Wahab and akmal.. The two shoddy characters had gotten away in 2010 fixing saga...
Happy that salman butt wasn't given the job.. Fixers should be banned for life time, no matter whether its match fixing or spot fixing.

There is no evidence against Wahab and only some YouTube videos where it looks like Kamran has not gone for a run out during the Sydney test. Both might not be everyone's favorite players, but we need to separate speculation and facts. Can not be calling grown men fixers without proof, plenty of real fixers going around in any case.
I wouldn’t necessarily say there’s a lack of proof though. They haven’t been convicted or charged. But Wahab taking the jacket is there clear as day, and Kamran was too stupid to do a good cover up in the Sydney test.

Like in the case of Wasim, everyone in Pakistan knows what Kamran and Wahab did.

While technically I agree they should not be limited from any role…I am not sure how they wrangled such top jobs either with the question marks upon them.

As per media reports, Salman Butt has been contacted by the Afghanistan Cricket Board and has been offered the role of Batting Consultant for the upcoming series against India.

I wouldn’t necessarily say there’s a lack of proof though. They haven’t been convicted or charged. But Wahab taking the jacket is there clear as day, and Kamran was too stupid to do a good cover up in the Sydney test.

Like in the case of Wasim, everyone in Pakistan knows what Kamran and Wahab did.

While technically I agree they should not be limited from any role…I am not sure how they wrangled such top jobs either with the question marks upon them.
I don't know what the jacket stuff was. But I wouldn't be too comfortable if I had to bet my life's savings on them being guilty.

It’s disappointing many people are here are already assuming Wahab and Kamran are fixers based on some random / irrelevant incident 13 years ago..

Fact is I didn’t know about Wahab’s “jacket.. But there is absolutely no way that it proves anything. He may have been questioned by Scotland Yard back in 2010 but if no charges were filled and of course no conviction then it means he is all clear in my book..

Wahab’s name was never mentioned again even in 2017 PSL so I am inclined to believe he was / is clean..

Same goes with Kamran and he was not even questioned in England in 2010.. The only “evidence” anyone presented was a missed run out of Hussey in Sydney but that seems like incompetence rather than corruption.. I seem to recall Kamran was dropped due to poor perform after which Umar feigned injury to protest that decision but it is unrelated to any corruption of course..

Just like Wahab - Kamran name was never mentioned again after Sydney 2010 so I am also inclined to believe he was / is clean..

It’s also disappointing that many people here who are advocating for Sharjeel to return to the LOi side are also active on this thread.. Especially considering Sharjeel had already admitted to his crime back in 2017

I don't know what the jacket stuff was. But I wouldn't be too comfortable if I had to bet my life's savings on them being guilty.
I also don’t want to speculate too hard.

But if you take a jacket from someone, you can definitely feel if something is in there.

I don’t think Wahab has ever come out too hard against the allegations either (please correct me if I’m wrong though)

Nonetheless there was nothing to ever find them guilty so by definition they are innocent.

Salman Butt during an interview on social media:

"Life goes on; sometimes things are favorable and sometimes they are not. We will have a detailed discussion on this later. Thanks to the Cricket Board, who acknowledged. You don’t just approach anyone and appoint them. Thanks to Wahab Riaz and all the people who supported me. The rest of these things keep happening. They happen a bit more with us; maybe we get a bit of life in us.”

“First of all, I thank Allah because if Allah wants, I can do a lot, but it’s about opportunity. When Allah approves, opportunity will also be available, and everyone will see. If it doesn’t happen, then it is fine.”

"Look, critics are shortsighted and insecure. They don’t understand some things, and they just go with the flow. And there are fewer people; mostly, it’s this trend that is being run because it’s the era of social media, so it doesn’t matter. Such things keep happening. It’s a good thing that when we meet people live, go to markets, or interact with people anywhere, they are very positive.”

“Wherever you reward incompetence, instability will increase. The more work that will be done on merit, the more chances there are to progress and move forward. When you start working on heard ideas and start doing every job on recommendations, things don’t go right.”

“It’s not just about cricket; where is it not, this thing, this culture of recommendation? even to the extent that people get statements made by recommendation. These are the circumstances, so it doesn’t matter.”

“I can’t thank Allah enough that I have received overwhelming support, and these fake accounts are absolute rubbish on social media. And most of them are those who are on paid campaigns or those who create groups on WhatsApp and then tweet the same kind of tweet. Some people will be my opponents, meaning they will think differently; that’s perfectly fine. Every person thinks differently, and opposition also means that your words are true to some extent. It’s just brotherly love from Basit Ali that he understands it this way. I have also worked, and people have also seen my work. Thank you very much to the people.”

“Do you think I am heartbroken? The one who has suffered a loss is heartbroken; why should I be?"​

So, SB thinks that he was removed because of the campaign that ran on social media against him. I wonder if it is the same reason or something else.

So, SB thinks that he was removed because of the campaign that ran on social media against him. I wonder if it is the same reason or something else.
Management was in hot water for sure since his appointment, so they decided to release this burden from their shoulders.

Been closely listening to Salman Butt game analysis.

He is hands down the best cricketing brain in Pakistan at the moment.

If it were me, I would give him a lot of power to do things.

He has such a great cricketing mind, we must think beyond his mistake and should give him a chance now.

He’s not as smart as he think he is. I particularly don’t like his comments on how white ball cricket should be approached.

I agree that he is probaby the best brain in pakistan cricket at the moment. I can't think of any other who compares.
He has served his time as well. It is also true that other fixers like Ajay Jadeja and Mohammad Azharuddin reformed themselves a bit and brought great changes to the teams that they later coached.

The question is what role should Salman play based on the above? Can he be trusted as a selector? Or as a consultant? Or should the limit be something like an assistant coach?

Salman has some deep insights into the game. He knows the game well but he should not be the coach or selector for the national team yet. He can work his way into the domestic circuit and then we can see how he brings changes or some innovation. Maybe PSL coaching can also bring some light into this phase of his career.

He can't be that smart if he was stupid enough to sell out his country and fix games

If people can cry for Amir to bring him back then Salman can also be brought back into the domestic circuit as a coach of selector. Rules should be same for everybody

Back