[VIDEO] Samit Patel Discussion Thread

Asif321

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Samit Patel, the England allrounder, has withdrawn from next year's IPL auction in a bid to boost his chances of earning a Test place. If he had been picked up for the IPL - and it was far from certain he would have gained a deal - it would have meant missing up to seven County Championship matches at the start of the English season.

Patel returned to England's one-day side against Sri Lanka during the 2011 season having missed out on a World Cup berth due to his fitness issues. He played every game during England's recent tour of India, scoring 160 runs at 40.00 and took four wickets in the 5-0 whitewash to emerge as one of the few players with some credit.

However, although Patel's move will be noted by the England management, he faces a tough task to force his way into the Test reckoning as either a second spinner or frontline batsman but is hoping the weight of runs in the early domestic season will bring him into the selectors' thinking for the series against West Indies and South Africa in 2012.

"My biggest ambition is to play Test cricket," Patel said. "I need to score a high volume of runs in the Championship to push my case. If I was selected for the IPL then I would miss several Championship matches and that won't help me at a time when I need to do everything I can to impress the selectors.

"I have listened to the advice from people that I trust and it is clear that this decision is the right one to have made for cricket reasons. The IPL is an exciting tournament and I would like to be involved in it in the future, but not to the detriment of my England ambitions."

Mick Newell, the Nottinghamshire coach, supported Patel's move which will also strengthen the county during a crucial period of Championship cricket.

"Samit has got himself back into England's limited-overs teams but he feels that he can become a Test match regular and it goes without saying that scoring a high volume of runs for Nottinghamshire will help him to achieve his ambition," said Newell. "Staying away from the IPL this year is a mature decision and one that we hope will benefit Samit's career and improve our prospects in the Championship."

Patel's decision mirrors that of Ravi Bopara who decided not to play in last season's IPL, in an attempt to secure a place against Sri Lanka, while Stuart Broad has also resisted the the tournament's lure. Yet, despite Bopara's 408 runs in the opening five matches last season, the England selectors favoured Eoin Morgan for the first Test, who did play in the 2011 IPL, after he struck 193 for the Lions in the tour match against Sri Lanka at Derby.

As ever with Patel, runs and wickets won't be the only factor, either, as Andy Flower, the England team director, made clear in a recent interview with the Daily Mail when he said Patel "hasn't properly addressed his fitness issues. He'd better, otherwise he'll be out of the side."

Patel faces a challenge to dislodge one of England's established top six batsmen, while Bopara and James Taylor are also ahead of him in the pecking order. The most likely route into the Test team remains as a second spinner, which England rarely require on home soil.

Last season Patel took 33 first-class wickets at 30.81, together with over 1,000 runs at 47.56. Monty Panesar, England's reserve spinner on the 2010-11 Ashes tour, was the highest wicket-taker in Division One of the County Championship in 2011 with 69 victims at 27.24 and also boasts 126 Test match wickets at 34.37.

The England Test squad is set to be announced in the forthcoming weeks for the three-match series against Pakistan in Dubai.

138227.2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Its the Michael Clarke trick, they werent going to buy me anyway so imma talk about how much i want to play for my country instead....

The only guy, surprisingly, with any credibility about IPL is Mitch Johnson who has consistently refused to play IPL when he would definitely have been picked up. Of course now he will probably put himself up and nobody will want him :))

The only guy, surprisingly, with any credibility about IPL is Mitch Johnson who has consistently refused to play IPL when he would definitely have been picked up. Of course now he will probably put himself up and nobody will want him :))

and also Big Bash :)))

Samit Patel

Samit Patel believes England sent out a warning statement to Pakistan after their emphatic one-day sucess on Monday.

Captain Alastair Cook led by example as he contributed a career-best 137 in a total of 260-7 - and then Steven Finn obliterated Pakistan's top order on the way to his outstanding ODI performance to date, taking 4-34.

Live on Sky Sports
vs Pakistan v England
February 15, 2012 10:30am

.Remote Record..Nottinghamshire all-rounder Patel did his bit as well, with an unbeaten 17 from only 12 balls and then figures of 3-26 in five overs of left-arm spin.

England target whitewash
.The upshot was victory by 130 runs, to put England 1-0 up in a four-match series which resumes back at the Zayed Stadium on Wednesday.

"It was a bit of a statement really," said Patel. "Finny bowled outstandingly well up front to knock over Pakistan's top order, and obviously 'Chef' [Cook] did his stuff at the start.

"That's brilliant, setting a platform of 100 plus with Ravi (Bopara) - that was a great effort."

Nail this
Looking ahead to the rest of the series, Patel said: "We're looking to absolutely nail this series, to beat them 4-0, whitewash them - obviously a bit of payback for the Test series. The boys are geared up for it; we know exactly what it's going to take.

"It's important to highlight the skill levels we need against their spinners. It would be a great achievement to beat them 4-0 in their own backyard. But that's the aim. That would be fantastic. We've got to aim high."

After England's succession of batting collapses to Pakistan's spinners in a nightmarish Test series, there is an obvious extra incentive for Patel and others such as Ravi Bopara to stake a claim for a place on next month's tour of Sri Lanka.

Both did just that on Monday, Bopara with his seventh ODI half-century as he and Cook put on a crucial hundred stand for the third wicket. Patel, however, will not waste time dreaming about a Test debut just yet.

"At the moment I'm concentrating on the one-day series, trying to perform here. If it [a Test place] comes, it comes; if it doesn't, it doesn't."

SKY SPORTS.COM

Thank you Patel....you have just jinxed england ha ha

This should be motivation enough for pak to punish them and take the series!

Pak players take note!!!

Lol, Even Pakistan players didn't start smack talking after the first test.

:)) well the fact remains that we've whitewashed you in tests, ODI's mean very little in comparison

:)) is this guy for real?

Payback a Test whitewash with an ODI whitewash? Yeah, you are Indian alright!

Samit Patel believes England sent out a warning statement to Pakistan after their emphatic one-day sucess on Monday.

Captain Alastair Cook led by example as he contributed a career-best 137 in a total of 260-7 - and then Steven Finn obliterated Pakistan's top order on the way to his outstanding ODI performance to date, taking 4-34.

Live on Sky Sports
vs Pakistan v England
February 15, 2012 10:30am

.Remote Record..Nottinghamshire all-rounder Patel did his bit as well, with an unbeaten 17 from only 12 balls and then figures of 3-26 in five overs of left-arm spin.

England target whitewash
.The upshot was victory by 130 runs, to put England 1-0 up in a four-match series which resumes back at the Zayed Stadium on Wednesday.

"It was a bit of a statement really," said Patel. "Finny bowled outstandingly well up front to knock over Pakistan's top order, and obviously 'Chef' [Cook] did his stuff at the start.

"That's brilliant, setting a platform of 100 plus with Ravi (Bopara) - that was a great effort."

Nail this
Looking ahead to the rest of the series, Patel said: "We're looking to absolutely nail this series, to beat them 4-0, whitewash them - obviously a bit of payback for the Test series. The boys are geared up for it; we know exactly what it's going to take.

"It's important to highlight the skill levels we need against their spinners. It would be a great achievement to beat them 4-0 in their own backyard. But that's the aim. That would be fantastic. We've got to aim high."

After England's succession of batting collapses to Pakistan's spinners in a nightmarish Test series, there is an obvious extra incentive for Patel and others such as Ravi Bopara to stake a claim for a place on next month's tour of Sri Lanka.

Both did just that on Monday, Bopara with his seventh ODI half-century as he and Cook put on a crucial hundred stand for the third wicket. Patel, however, will not waste time dreaming about a Test debut just yet.

"At the moment I'm concentrating on the one-day series, trying to perform here. If it [a Test place] comes, it comes; if it doesn't, it doesn't."

SKY SPORTS.COM

They're playing in Pakistan?

Say whatever you want to say, We have humiliated you in Real cricket which is test cricket.
From Stable No 1 where you were supposed to get cash prize to unstable/Shaky No 1 with leading SA by 1 point
Bye ;-)

The way we've played the 1st ODI, I wouldn't rule that out completely :))

haha. lmao. He is talking as if Eng are 3-0 up.

Good for him.

Dunno why people are criticising him.

He has every reason to say whatever he wants. His team has just humiliated Pakistan team in the 1st ODI. His opener Cook scored more runs than the entire Pakistan team in 1st ODI :facepalm:. If Pakistan do not play the right players in its ODI team for the remaining matches, then Patel's words will come true.

patel should remember the earlier whitewash and tread carefully. his team hasnt even won the bloody series.

Don't know why players make such statements, it always comes back to haunt them. I think our boys should give him some verbals tomorrow, he seems the type of player that would be affected.

:))) :))) :)))

Ok i get that every team wants to win every game
But seriously after one game saying all this to the media is just idiotic and stupid!

What is the deal with all English players adding y at the end of the name like Finny, Cooky,Straussy. Those guys need to innovate with their nick names

The dumbest thing you can do is to write off Pakistan after one defeat only.

Just remember what happend in the Test when Pakistan was bowled out for 99 and in their second innings they made 360+ something.

Just like in that Test England got the best bowling conditions in first ODI, hence they bowled out Pakistan cheaply. Let's see what England will do under lights if Pakistan win. The Toss

Let's be honest if England win the toss in the next 3 games and put up a score of 250+ not many would give Pakistan a chance to chase it down against their pace attack.

Let's be honest if England win the toss in the next 3 games and put up a score of 250+ not many would give Pakistan a chance to chase it down against their pace attack.

If that happens, it's all up to Pakistan restricting them to around 225.

"It's important to highlight the skill levels we need against their spinners. It would be a great achievement to beat them 4-0 in their own backyard. "

Somebody buy this guy a map.

ignore him, i doubt we will get whitewashed. And it isn't pakistans "backyard".

Pakistan should have enough motivation from Patels comments to win todays game!

Samit halfway there, could he be right?

Andm btw, nothing wrong with fully believing in your team. :afridi

He has every reason to say whatever he wants. His team has just humiliated Pakistan team in the 1st ODI. His opener Cook scored more runs than the entire Pakistan team in 1st ODI :facepalm:. If Pakistan do not play the right players in its ODI team for the remaining matches, then Patel's words will come true.
still valid.

If that happens, it's all up to Pakistan restricting them to around 225.

Good call. :D

As of know there is more chance of Samit Patel being crowned Britian's next top model than Pak chasing down 250.

well patel will gloat more and i dont blame him. a team thrashed 6-1 and 5-0 twice is beating somebody.

Good old Samit is the new king of predictions. Unless some batsmen or Ajmal/Afridi play a blinder then it's a certain whitewash.

haha. lmao. He is talking as if Eng are 3-0 up.

Epic :))) :))) :)))

On a serious note, lots of you posting tosh in this thread, had to delete a fair few posts. You know I adore you all, but let's leave the harsh insults and see-you-next-Tuesdays for the playground. Ta :p

To be fair dunno why People are having a go at him wanting/predicting a whitewash. Whitewashing a side should always be your aim. Whether you just come away with a series win which itself is usually a very good result, then that's good too. But aim high first, and you'll either get that, or something a bit lower. Aim low, and well you're unlikely going to get high results.

Real chance England might do it now. This ODI series is pretty important for them as they're out to salvage their reputation and perhaps more importantly get some good practice and form for the sri lankan series. There's nothing they can do about the Pak test series now, but they can fix their mistakes and improve for the sri lankan one.

Cook for me has been really impressive, the guy has really turned his limited overs game (which doesn't come naturally for him) around. Nice to see what a bit of hard work and dedication can achieve. In fact that's one of the things I like about Cook, he doesn't have as much talent as others like Pietersen or Bell for example, but he makes that up in hard work, determination to do well, and concentration (which the latter is something which personally I believe he does better than any other batsman currently). Think he'll turn out a great captain too, especially if he can instil those worth ethics in his fellow team mates and players to come.

Hello Ads, how's the 4-0 whitewash of England in the Indian tests looking?

Hello Ads, how's the 4-0 whitewash of England in the Indian tests looking?
Hello :D

your chances look better now. Don't think I predicted a 4-0 loss to India (I may have lol I dunno), but I did think england would be beaten comfortably.

But I did say that if England could do well and get some momentum going they will be better prepared for India. They've started this momentum with winning this ODI series comfortably. If they can then go to Sri Lanka and win that, then by the time England go to India, I think there will be a tough series.

A lot hinges on that Sri Lankan series. Should be a very interesting one to watch. Sri lankan bowlers might not be great, but they've had a history of exploiting their own home conditions pretty well.

India don't really have any bowlers.
They have Zaheer who's amongst the best currently in India conditions, and a few useful spinners here and there. Not Pakistan's spin quality but still decent.

Kind of depends on how well England bat in India. If they bat badly, India might not need such a good bowling attack to bowl England out. And I'll be very surprised if India get bottled for low scores in India at home, haven't seen that happen since god knows when. It's just excruciating difficult to bowl them out in India. The sheer weight of runs they score on those pitches apply pressure on the opposition. If they score 500 or so in the first innings, there's massive pressure on the team batting second whether they face a quality bowling line up or not. And with that added pressure and comfort of defending a huge total, makes it a lot easier for bowlers to pick up wickets.

England usually score runs in India, win draw or lose. The difference is this time they have improved bowlers who can take wickets on flat pitches: Broad, Finn and Swann.

They have Zaheer who's amongst the best currently in India conditions, and a few useful spinners here and there. Not Pakistan's spin quality but still decent.

Kind of depends on how well England bat in India. If they bat badly, India might not need such a good bowling attack to bowl England out. And I'll be very surprised if India get bottled for low scores in India at home, haven't seen that happen since god knows when. It's just excruciating difficult to bowl them out in India. The sheer weight of runs they score on those pitches apply pressure on the opposition. If they score 500 or so in the first innings, there's massive pressure on the team batting second whether they face a quality bowling line up or not. And with that added pressure and comfort of defending a huge total, makes it a lot easier for bowlers to pick up wickets.

That is how India usually wins its matches at home even with an average popgun attack for decades now.

Out FTB's pile up huge totals usually in excess of 450+ everytime they bat and our spinners have enough cushion to have attacking fields and the opposition just crumbles under pressure.

England will find it hard to bowl out India on Indian pitches. The only thing to think about is, if the big 3 retire and youngsters are playing without much international experience, it might just even things out.

Also, I am sure Finn will play all the Tests in India. He will be the key. Guys like Anderson, Broad will not be effective in India bowling at 125kph like they did against Pak in Dubai. Our batters love that speed.

That is how India usually wins its matches at home even with an average popgun attack for decades now.

Out FTB's pile up huge totals usually in excess of 450+ everytime they bat and our spinners have enough cushion to have attacking fields and the opposition just crumbles under pressure.

England will find it hard to bowl out India on Indian pitches. The only thing to think about is, if the big 3 retire and youngsters are playing without much international experience, it might just even things out.

Also, I am sure Finn will play all the Tests in India. He will be the key. Guys like Anderson, Broad will not be effective in India bowling at 125kph like they did against Pak in Dubai. Our batters love that speed.
Wouldn't say your guys are FTBs. Being a bit harsh on yourselves :). Dravid, Laxman and Tendulkar have all proven they can score consistently away. Just Laxman's ageing, Dravid in and out of form and ageing, and Tendulkar affected by the 100 100s record. But all of these guys can still score big in India, as well as guys like Sehwag, Dhoni, Gambhir who are not reputed to be as good away players.

Reckon Broad has a good chance to do well, as well as Finn. Not convinced about Anderson. Doubt England's spinners will do well because India are so good playing spin (especially at home). From India, think Zaheer will do well, and ashwin will be pretty decent. Don't expect Sharma to do well, or vinay kumar if they pick him again.

What a call by Samit. Not only was he spot on, he was there in person to finish it off. :14:

Samit_Patel_300.jpg

Samit "Aloo" Patel called it correctly.

Well done to you and the rest of the England team.

Fair play Patel. Calling a whitewash, implementing it AND being there at the end to seal it.

We've been humiliated. :D

Ive just had some humble pie dished out by samit.

well played england!

Samit Patel went for only 18 runs!

Very very bad tactics from Pakistan!

Firstly they should have sent in Afridi to attack the spinners. When they didn't send him in they didn't even attack him themselves.

You have to look at the conditions before making such decisions because you can't allways just think of having the wickets in the hand.

This is where we lost the match!

Misbah is officially a poor captain!

agreed with OP

129 even on that track was very chasable.

We didn't lose the game due to Cheema last ball... as the Batters would have known their target and had plenty of time (overs) and wickets in hand to change the direction of this game at any time.

The REAL REASON we lost this game was due to Misbah holding back both himself and Umar Akmal... and then to compound that fact.... We only hit Broad for 4 runs in the penultimate over despite a major misfield - it would've been 1!!!!

Why leave it to the last 2 overs if you havn't proved to be able to hit Dernbach before.

The BIGGEST crime was allowing the big fat pie chucker Samit Patel to get away for 18... especially when you have Dernbach and Swan bowling. At least Patel hit Ajmal for 12 runs in his over before getting out. We didn't even try to attack Swan or Patel.... That's the error.... This should have been an easy chase.... Misbah attitude cost us.

BREAKING NEWS: Victory tuk'd away from Pakistan's hands in series finale. :misbah

Pathetic, pathetic run chase and Misbah needs to be held responsible as he had the right and the responsibility to not only play in an adequate manner against bowlers like Patel, but also to instruct his junior players to play positiviely.

Last edited:
Agreed, taking 6 runs off a guy with smart singles does not disguise the fact he shouldve been targetted for boundaries...

If you're not going to smash Patel.... who are you going to smash?

We had wickets in hand but we didn't go for it.

He was always going to be a problem for Pakistan, who struggle to survive against any left arm spinner nevermind attack one on this tired track.

all these english bowlers swann, derbbach and patel got smashed around the park by india b shows the huge gap in quality between paks batting and indian reserve team.

He was always going to be a problem for Pakistan, who struggle to survive against any left arm spinner nevermind attack one on this tired track.

True, but they were not going to smash dernbach either. More chance to get some big runs from the slow bowlers.

And Patel is much weaker than Swan, even if we consider his left arm offspin and tired pitch.

Better to chance it with plenty of wickets in hand, than to die wondering. That's Misbah fault.... always doing the same thing and the worse thing is he always gets praised for it by the commentators.... Mr cool, taking his time blah blah

Our batting approach never used to be this defensive couple of years ago, i truly believe its the mental approach we have had in the last few years which is costing our batting badly.

I dont thinks its the talent gap, as much as our mental approach which is costing us, very nervous when it comes to batting, we have let that creep into the dressing room.

not saying that india's batsman aren't better then ours, as in this era they are a better crop of batsman.

Oh come on, get over this stamped mentality. When your aim is just to defend the ball, how on earth will the runs come?

He was the weakest bowler in their line-up and Afridi hit him for 17 runs the other day.

He is no Vettori and the Harris guy was a Test player who the Pakistanis made look good by trying to block him and Herath is a good player.

It's all about staying positive, you have to get the runs, they will not come to you.

Oh come on, get over this stamped mentality. When your aim is just to defend the ball, how on earth will the runs come?

He was the weakest bowler in their line-up and Afridi hit him for 17 runs the other day.

He is no Vettori and the Harris guy was a Test player who the Pakistanis made look good by trying to block him and Herath is a good player.

It's all about staying positive, you have to get the runs, they will not come to you.
I don't have this mentality, but the Pakistan team certainly do - just check their recent history Vs ANY sla bowler. Even Pietersen wouldn't make that XI.

Too different conditions to compare with the Afridi example.

Agree with the rest.

True, but they were not going to smash dernbach either. More chance to get some big runs from the slow bowlers.

And Patel is much weaker than Swan, even if we consider his left arm offspin and tired pitch.

Better to chance it with plenty of wickets in hand, than to die wondering. That's Misbah fault.... always doing the same thing and the worse thing is he always gets praised for it by the commentators.... Mr cool, taking his time blah blah

Misbah's mistake was playing his usual robotic anchor innings. When the game was set up well by the Shafiq/Zia proactive partnership, all he needed to do (considering the wickets in hand) was assume Zia's role and look to dominate. Instead, aside from one reverse sweep attempt, he was happy to slowly tap the bowling around and put pressure on his partner - who eventually ran himself out going for a non-existent second, when it really should have been Shafiq batting the overs.

This is where the game was lost. I said it in the other thread that Misbah's failure to collar England's weakest bowling when there was no pressure gave England a genuine chance where previously it looked hopeless.

samit should be thankful to us.with both bat and ball we haved him a superstar

Samit Patel has weighted a long time for his test chance

Sri Lanka v England: Samit Patel has weighted a long time for his Test chance
Samit Patel has replaced Eoin Morgan in the Test squad to visit Sri Lanka. The Nottinghamshire spinner's opportunity has been a long time coming.

Patel was born in Leicester on November 30 1984, but raised in Nottingham, playing for England Under-15s and England Under-17s while he was a pupil at Worksop College.

He made his England Under-19 debut against Nepal in New Zealand at the Under-19 World Cup in January 2002 alongside future Test all-rounder Tim Bresnan.

Following on from that Patel made his first-class debut for Nottinghamshire against West Indies A at Trent Bridge in July 2002 as a 17-year-old, before establishing himself as a Nottinghamshire regular in 2007 when he made 963 first-class runs.

His breakthrough year came in 2008 when he made 977 runs and broke into England’s one-day side, making his debut against Scotland in Edinburgh.

However, Patel’s weight soon became an issue and he was dropped from England’s one-day side to tour the West Indies in the spring of 2009 after he failed to reach minimum fitness levels. Team-mate Kevin Pietersen was unsympathetic describing Patel as “unfit, fat and lazy.”

Further public humiliation followed when Patel was overlooked for the ICC World Twenty20 in England in June 2009 because his fitness levels still fell short of those required by England.

In 2010 Patel helped Nottinghamshire win the County Championship but he missed out on England’s final 15 for the World Cup on the Indian subcontinent in 2011 after he failed yet another fitness test.

Patel took himself off to Brisbane for a short-sharp shock fitness regime with kick boxer Shannon ‘Shaggy’ King. Part of the programme involved the use of a bat ten times its normal weight and shuttle runs wearing an 8kg vest. King also dropped Patel on the outskirts of Brisbane and made him run the eight miles back to his gym in 30c heat.

King’s regime worked as Patel lost one-and-a-half stones and returned to England slimmer and fitter than he had ever been.

Patel’s improved fitness regime persuaded England to give him another chance and he was recalled for the one-day series against Sri Lanka. He played in the fifth match of the series at Old Trafford in July, his first appearance for England since November 2008.

Patel enjoyed his most successful season with Nottinghamshire last summer, passing 1,000 first-class runs and equalling his season’s best wicket haul of 33.

Patel’s younger brother Akhil, a left-handed opening batsman and left-arm spinner, played one match for Derbyshire in 2007 and then joined Nottinghamshire’s academy, making five first-class and eleven one-day appearances before he was released last September.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...weighted-a-long-time-for-his-Test-chance.html

:))):)))

Back