[VIDEO] "Tonight, I'm really proud of those players because they fought right to the bitter end": Mickey Arthur

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
27 October - Chennai - Pakistan Head Coach Mickey Arthur post-match press conference

[Reporter:]

So near, yet so far. How will you assess this situation? What is not happening with our team? What's going wrong? I mean, it's just hard to digest, hard to understand. We were a world-class team a couple of months back and now.

[Mickey Arthur:]

Yeah, look to be brutally honest, we haven't put together the perfect game yet. I don't think we've batted well enough yet as a unit. Yeah, I think that pitch, certainly par on that pitch is 300 at least. So, we haven't put together enough runs. And then we haven't put together a bowling performance that goes with it. So tonight, I thought was our best bowling performance of the competition. Thought we bowled really well, but I still thought we were under par in terms of the runs that we had. We haven't put the perfect game together yet. Hasn't been for lack of effort, hasn't been for lack of trying, but we just haven't got enough players in form at the minute, particularly with the bat.

Two defeats in Chennai, but how much energy did you draw from that crowd?

Yeah, the crowd was outstanding tonight. It was really good. You know, take the results out the way. Chennai has been outstanding. Training facilities, everything has been brilliant. And the crowd tonight was fantastic. And I think at least we've kind of given the World Cup the close finish that it needed to sort of kick-start it on. It's just a pity we were on the wrong side of that.

You had your number one ranked side not too long ago and you had played a lot of matches against New Zealand at home. Did all of it put together sort of hide the holes in the team especially on the batting front? Was it like did it make it too complex when coming to the World Cup?

Yeah, look I think at a World Cup you've got to be playing your best game at the at the right time. Our form had sort of drifted off a little bit. And there's various [reasons]. We talk about it every day as to what it could have been. But our form kind of drifted off. And again, we haven't put the perfect games together. We've batted well, we haven't bowled well. I do think our fielding standards have been average. So, there's a lot of work that we need to put in to manage and get to the standards required to win a World Cup. But those are the things we talk about every day. Those are the things when we go to the training ground, we train every day. We want to work to world-class standards, which we do in terms of our preparation. Again, form just hasn't allowed us opportunity to put the perfect game together.

When your team plays as competitively as they did tonight, and they've lost the three previous games, and they give it everything, and they still go down, how do you get them off the floor?

Yeah look, tonight is a totally different feeling in that dressing room to the Afghanistan game. The Afghanistan game was - we were average in all departments. Tonight, we were okay with the bat, I thought we were very good with the ball. And tonight, I'm really proud of those [players] because they fought right to the bitter end.

We were below par with the bat, I think. As I said, I thought 300 was the par score - But our bowlers had given us a real chance there and they've given it everything. It's a really disappointed dressing room and our players I know we can be proud of tonight because they've left everything, everything on the ground. They've given it their best shot. And that's all you can ask.

There is still hope Pakistan reach the semi-final?

You never know. What I do know is that we need to go and assess combinations again, we need to have a look at the holes we have within our team. We need to we need to start improving in a lot of areas and we've got to go home and finish this tournament with three victories. That's what I do know. Every day we'll be trying and we'll be striving to do that.

So, about your batting, the batters did get the start, but they couldn't carry the momentum too far ahead. And as you said, it was a 300 wicket. Considering the situation in the 42nd over, you were 250 and 50 more runs would have surely taken you. But what exactly went wrong? Did the pitch play the tricks or did the South Africans bowl really well?

No, it was a mixture of both. I don't think we batted particularly well at the back end. But we always set ourselves up to have, you've got to have one of your top four in at over 40. And you talk about the success that we've had over the last year; we've had one of our top four generally getting hundreds. We've had two hundreds this competition so far in the same game.

So, we've had players get in. We've had players get starts. We haven't had players go through. And I thought, I don't think we managed the last five overs particularly well tonight. There was still, at one point, in the 45th over, I remember saying to the dressing room a run a ball gets us 295 and a little bit more we've got us 300. I know we would have defended 300 tonight. So, I don't think we managed that back end particularly well at all. And we left 10 - 12 balls out there that we didn't face.

I don't know whether you're superstitious, but on this day last year you lost to Zimbabwe by one run in world T20. Today you lost by one wicket. Are you still hopeful that you will go on to reach the final?

Well, I was actually watching that game. I wasn't coaching. I was in Perth then. Yeah, look, as I say, we've just got to put our best foot forward. I'm the first one to stand here and I don't think we've played well enough at this World Cup. I don't think we've had enough form. I don't think we've gelled completely as a unit yet. And there are some holes in the team that have been exposed. And we need to look at those, and we need to fill them. And we need to bounce back very quickly. And we need to play to our potential in the next three games.

Before this match, PCB had started to put blames on Chief Selector Inzamam ul Haq, Captain Barbar Azam. You think accountability investigation will follow and who to blame for this?

They're going to be blaming everybody, don't worry. It's just the way of the world. Yeah, look, it's unfair. It's really unfair to start a witch hunt, certainly on Babar Azam, on Inzi, on our coaches, on the management team. What I do know is the boys have tried and the effort of the coaching staff, the effort of the players has been first-class. If they would see that the amount of effort that the players and staff put in, they would be amazed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mickey is right. Your bowlers are obviously trash but the batsmen are not scoring hard enough to give them a proper cushion!

How is it the batsmans fault? Your bowlers cant defend 270 scores...

we are playing in India with spinners that cant bowl 2 balls at one place, nor even spin them. How is that the batters fault?

We allow Afghanistans terrible batters to cruise away with a win. We let Sri Lanka smacked 300+ against us, and you still have time to bash the batters?

Even if Pakistan scores 300+, our captain and our spinners will still find a way to give away runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
These interviews are useless; he can't call out his team even if he wanted to.

It's a PR formality.

Problem …… he didn’t have enough bowlers in form just about 4 days back against AFGs.

I wish, for once guy could speak his mind - there are just not enough quality players and after WC, entire team needs to be rebuilt for next WC.

27 October - Chennai - Pakistan Head Coach Mickey Arthur post-match press conference

View attachment 138359

So near, yet so far. How will you assess this situation? What is not happening with our team? What's going wrong? I mean, it's just hard to digest, hard to understand. We were a world-class team a couple of months back and now.

Yeah, look to be brutally honest, we haven't put together the perfect game yet. I don't think we've batted well enough yet as a unit. Yeah, I think that pitch, certainly par on that pitch is 300 at least. So, we haven't put together enough runs. And then we haven't put together a bowling performance that goes with it. So tonight, I thought was our best bowling performance of the competition. Thought we bowled really well, but I still thought we were under par in terms of the runs that we had. We haven't put the perfect game together yet. Hasn't been for lack of effort, hasn't been for lack of trying, but we just haven't got enough players in form at the minute, particularly with the bat.

Two defeats in Chennai, but how much energy did you draw from that crowd?

Yeah, the crowd was outstanding tonight. It was really good. You know, take the results out the way. Chennai has been outstanding. Training facilities, everything has been brilliant. And the crowd tonight was fantastic. And I think at least we've kind of given the World Cup the close finish that it needed to sort of kick-start it on. It's just a pity we were on the wrong side of that.

You had your number one ranked side not too long ago and you had played a lot of matches against New Zealand at home. Did all of it put together sort of hide the holes in the team especially on the batting front? Was it like did it make it too complex when coming to the World Cup?

Yeah, look I think at a World Cup you've got to be playing your best game at the at the right time. Our form had sort of drifted off a little bit. And there's various [reasons]. We talk about it every day as to what it could have been. But our form kind of drifted off. And again, we haven't put the perfect games together. We've batted well, we haven't bowled well. I do think our fielding standards have been average. So, there's a lot of work that we need to put in to manage and get to the standards required to win a World Cup. But those are the things we talk about every day. Those are the things when we go to the training ground, we train every day. We want to work to world-class standards, which we do in terms of our preparation. Again, form just hasn't allowed us opportunity to put the perfect game together.

When your team plays as competitively as they did tonight, and they've lost the three previous games, and they give it everything, and they still go down, how do you get them off the floor?

Yeah look, tonight is a totally different feeling in that dressing room to the Afghanistan game. The Afghanistan game was - we were average in all departments. Tonight, we were okay with the bat, I thought we were very good with the ball. And tonight, I'm really proud of those [players] because they fought right to the bitter end.

We were below par with the bat, I think. As I said, I thought 300 was the par score - But our bowlers had given us a real chance there and they've given it everything. It's a really disappointed dressing room and our players I know we can be proud of tonight because they've left everything, everything on the ground. They've given it their best shot. And that's all you can ask.

There is still hope Pakistan reach the semi-final?

You never know. What I do know is that we need to go and assess combinations again, we need to have a look at the holes we have within our team. We need to we need to start improving in a lot of areas and we've got to go home and finish this tournament with three victories. That's what I do know. Every day we'll be trying and we'll be striving to do that.

So, about your batting, the batters did get the start, but they couldn't carry the momentum too far ahead. And as you said, it was a 300 wicket. Considering the situation in the 42nd over, you were 250 and 50 more runs would have surely taken you. But what exactly went wrong? Did the pitch play the tricks or did the South Africans bowl really well?

No, it was a mixture of both. I don't think we batted particularly well at the back end. But we always set ourselves up to have, you've got to have one of your top four in at over 40. And you talk about the success that we've had over the last year; we've had one of our top four generally getting hundreds. We've had two hundreds this competition so far in the same game.

So, we've had players get in. We've had players get starts. We haven't had players go through. And I thought, I don't think we managed the last five overs particularly well tonight. There was still, at one point, in the 45th over, I remember saying to the dressing room a run a ball gets us 295 and a little bit more we've got us 300. I know we would have defended 300 tonight. So, I don't think we managed that back end particularly well at all. And we left 10 - 12 balls out there that we didn't face.

I don't know whether you're superstitious, but on this day last year you lost to Zimbabwe by one run in world T20. Today you lost by one wicket. Are you still hopeful that you will go on to reach the final?

Well, I was actually watching that game. I wasn't coaching. I was in Perth then. Yeah, look, as I say, we've just got to put our best foot forward. I'm the first one to stand here and I don't think we've played well enough at this World Cup. I don't think we've had enough form. I don't think we've gelled completely as a unit yet. And there are some holes in the team that have been exposed. And we need to look at those, and we need to fill them. And we need to bounce back very quickly. And we need to play to our potential in the next three games.

Before this match, PCB had started to put blames on Chief Selector Inzamam ul Haq, Captain Barbar Azam. You think accountability investigation will follow and who to blame for this?

They're going to be blaming everybody, don't worry. It's just the way of the world. Yeah, look, it's unfair. It's really unfair to start a witch hunt, certainly on Babar Azam, on Inzi, on our coaches, on the management team. What I do know is the boys have tried and the effort of the coaching staff, the effort of the players has been first-class. If they would see that the amount of effort that the players and staff put in, they would be amazed.
Wow, I actually agree with mickey. I was waiting to hear his nonsense and tear the interview apart.

Great going mickey, but I always say, Actions speak louder then words. This interview is just words after all

How is it the batsmans fault? Your dumb bowlers cant defend 270 scores...

we are playing in India with spinners that cant bowl 2 balls at one place, nor even spin them. How is that the batters fault?

We allow Afghanistans terrible batters to cruise away with a win. We let Sri Lanka smacked 300+ against us, and you still have time to bash the batters?

Even if Pakistan scores 300+, our captain and our spinners will still find a way to give away runs.

Our spinners have been costing us games for the last 2 years. We had a horrendous home season because of lack of impact from our spinners.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: epic

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: epic
Lol epic reply. He has thrown the towel already.

When are they planning to play their perfect game, when they’re out? 2007 World Cup hammered Zimbabwe with imran nazir show in a dead rubber after knocked out of World Cup. We don’t need the perfect game we need common sense, bat out your overs, don’t give Nawaz the last over!! Pakistan not taking enough singles when they bat, and freely giving singles even in tight contests when they bowl. There’s so much wrong with this team. Captaincy, spinners, all rounders, fielding. Top to bottom, not up to the mark on all departments.

First of all, everybody puts in effort. Otherwise they can't be part of international teams. The question is how much effort? Shaheen looks like he is going to break down any minute. Despite that he gave a lion hearted performance today. But long term, what's the plan to keep him healthy. Is Harris Rauf good enough for ODIs? There is no change in his bowling plans despite Morne being the bowling coach. What is the point of having Imam and Babar in top 3. Now add Abdullah to the mix and you have top 3 that is unable to go at 6+ rpo. Spin options are thin. This is not about form or yardwork by the players. This is about overall ability to adapt to modern game. This is precisely why Indian team got a phainta against England in T20 WC last year in the semis. Archaic strategies with Rohit and Rahul wasting balls upfront and then Kohli going at run a ball. India is learning from it. Will Pakistan? For that, you need a change in strategy and players willing to adapt and reinvent themselved. If they can't, find new players. This pitch was a 310 pitch. If Pak scored 310 they could have won both games. Do they have the ability to score 310 with current team and strategies? No

This is an average team that is expected to bat like India, bowl like Australia and field like South Africa. In reality they can lock horns only with Associate teams. Also heard that they are being unpaid for the last 5 months. Poor PCB.

When are they planning to play their perfect game, when they’re out? 2007 World Cup hammered Zimbabwe with imran nazir show in a dead rubber after knocked out of World Cup. We don’t need the perfect game we need common sense, bat out your overs, don’t give Nawaz the last over!! Pakistan not taking enough singles when they bat, and freely giving singles even in tight contests when they bowl. There’s so much wrong with this team. Captaincy, spinners, all rounders, fielding. Top to bottom, not up to the mark on all departments.
Exactly, Nawaz is wicketless the whole tournament and he was given the ball to take the final wicket, he gifted them victory in 2 balls.

Problem …… he didn’t have enough bowlers in form just about 4 days back against AFGs.

I wish, for once guy could speak his mind - there are just not enough quality players and after WC, entire team needs to be rebuilt for next WC.
They will bring back Sarfraz, Imad Wasim and Amir. Pretty much recycle and end up playing this same lot in the next CWC as these 3 are very poor in their fitness

The talent is there and it was visible last night. The whole nation must be proud of this team. Credit goes to Mickey Arthur for his coaching and he must be given a 4 years extension. Give him the chance that he deeerves and you would be competitive in 2027.

Bro, that's not the point. Even yesterday look how south africa started with intent. Had they adopted the taken the game deep approach, they'd have lost irrespective of any umpire decisons because it would put too much pressure on their tailenders had makram and jansen adopted a timid approach to batting and expected to chase 170 on the last 10 overs.

Sa always had the advantage of being ahead of the rr in that game.

Even against India where sides are getting bowled out for 280, their trying to attack.

Our batsmen philosophy of keeping a set target in mind and trying to get it batting first or trying to chase 170 in the last 20 is the riskiest way to play regardless.

Teams batting first don't think about targets, they try to score as much as humanely possible to the best of their ability, and while chasing they try to focus on reducing the rr through and through.

The batting mindset is very very backwards unfortunately. This approach didn't even work in the 2000's. It didn't even work on 1980's with viv around. All the folkestone who praise Imran Khan's strategy must realise he had the world's best bowlers and a team that could consistently attack in the last 10 and make up the rr even if they ducked. And they did it consistently despite losing 4 matches initially on the dot.

Our team can't do that. Our team will never chase 160 to 170 in last 20 with 6 or 7 wickets in hand and fielders are up unless the bowling is brainless. Aus exposed us and so are other teams.

Cannot fault the commitment of the bowlers against South Africa, but once again it was an inept, clueless and rigid batting display from Pakistan.

Teams are aiming for 380, Pakistan are aiming for 280.

Cannot fault the commitment of the bowlers against South Africa, but once again it was an inept, clueless and rigid batting display from Pakistan.

We should be glad that we are actually scoring anything above 250 consistently because if we aim for 330 or 350 we will consistently end up 150 all out , we are punching above weight of our potential by scoring consistently.

But in today’s match I thought Babar will change his approach and the openers will come and start gun blazing but going this approach will might get us to 350 plus in one out of 4 innings the rest 3 of them being less than 200 all out. But seriously no harm in trying this approach now that we are out of the worldcup

It will gauge our player’s potential on who can we keep and who can we discard for modern ODI approach.

Yeah I agree we gave a real team effort in this one. I'd like to see us do what we did in England in 2019. Finish out strong. Put some pressure on other teams to win. Like in England in 2019 even if we finish the tournament strong we will bow out with run rate being less.

Reality is our batting isn't as good as the elite teams, we don't have the ball strikers who can launch the ball against slow bowling. Other teams do. We have players that can score, play well with the bat but not at the same pace as elite teams. Our best way to win against the elites is to bat first put on a near par score for the pitch and then bowl really well.

Unfortunately in this WC the selectors did not put in the right spinners. Or perhaps the coaching staff just didn't know what to do with them. Weird in a WC set in India where spin is useful, you go away from Saqlain as a coach. How useful would be Mustaq or Suqlain as coaches for players like Usama, Shadab, Iftikar, Nawaz etc?

Pak is not a 380 side. And no team could score 380 on that Chennai pitch. Our fault was not making an effort to bat full 50 overs. No way SA could have chased 300

Pak is not a 380 side. And no team could score 380 on that Chennai pitch. Our fault was not making an effort to bat full 50 overs. No way SA could have chased 300
I didn't say 380 on every pitch.

If you aim low that's what you achieve.

Our tactics are the same every match - hope for 280 then hope for the best.

I agree they must aim high. But things won't magically change in the middle of a tournament. Our problems lie much deeper

To aim for 380, you need ball strikers who can clear the boundaries. We are a team that if they go for their shots, most of the team get caught out. Look at many of the dismissals. If you go for big shots you're also risking being caught out. That's the issue here. We don't have those lethal ball strikers. Those players push your run rate to 7. We hover between 5 and 5.5 because our top 5 batsmen in the lineup are not those level of strikers.

Aiming for 380 or 350 is irrelevant, until you get the needed players who play and can clear the boundaries and catching positioned fielders. Our top 5 batsmen can not do this consistently.

There is a reason why they aim low because aiming high would result in 150 all out most of the time

The talent is there and it was visible last night. The whole nation must be proud of this team. Credit goes to Mickey Arthur for his coaching and he must be given a 4 years extension. Give him the chance that he deeerves and you would be competitive in 2027.
+1
It was a lion hearted effort

Babar should be removed as captain in all formats and even be dropped as a player from T20Is for his zero aggression approach... This will bring him down to earth and show that no one is bigger than the game..

His arrogance to keep Abrar Ahmed in reserves and Imad Wasim who is in form performing very well away from the team for wicketless Nawaz in this CWC... Its a Pakistani problem praise someone as a King of the game , then they start to misbehave, become arrogant to the core...

Even Netherlands have good spinners , Pak spinners cant pitch the ball in good length areas consistently.

Mickey is such a conman.

Shame on the PCB for being such an incompetent organisation that he was the best we could get for this WC.

As soon as it’s done he needs to be on his bike.

Back