[VIDEO] Was Babar Azam right to not walk after nicking the ball in the 1st ODI vs New Zealand?

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Looked like a clear nick but Babar waited for the decision.

Innocent or deliberate attempt to take advantage of no reviews left for New Zealand?

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="lpzOIxe"><a href="https://imgur.com/lpzOIxe">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
Despicable

He is already under scrutiny for doing favours benefiting his friends and not sincere to Pakistan cricket

Now this! I’m sickened by his clear ability to be dishonest!!

He is not under any such scrutiny.

Your personal bias showing up here.

He took advantage of something lot of cricketers have done and will do.

Most players will try their luck in the hope that the umpire has missed it.

Very few players these days who actually walk when they know they're out.

No issue with what he did. If Kohli did this, our posters would be commenting how brave, aggressive and courageous he is with his win at all costs attitude.

Babar is a star batsman and champion. He is ultimately a competitor and he has no reason to walk until the Umpire gives him out.

Despicable

He is already under scrutiny for doing favours benefiting his friends and not sincere to Pakistan cricket

Now this! I’m sickened by his clear ability to be dishonest!!

What favors.

Not really this is professional sports not some ethics workshop

Didn't know walking was expected of players now. Not walking is the norm.

Only person that always claimed to walk was Gilchrist as far as I remember.

Since it's Babar though we can criticize for anything even it's normal and we wouldn't expect it of anyone else.

Most players will try their luck in the hope that the umpire has missed it.

Very few players these days who actually walk when they know they're out.

Right, he would have earned my respect, had he walked , but can't blame him for not doing it, cricket is not gentlemen's sport anymore.

I'd rather players wait for the umpire's decision before walking. This isn't some street-level cricket where you can throw away advantages.

Ponting never walked. Said it's the umpire's decision to decide not mine.

Nothing wrong with this, this happens many many times even within a match. How many times have the TV crews gone back an over to show the ultra edge that a batter had actually nicked it but was not out and had a lucky escape? Part of the game.

It's the umpire's job to give you out.

Not a smart move especially when DRS call is available to the opposition.
Play with honesty and play fairly - this is what sports is all about and this is how classy sportsmen are made.

I remember a lot of people in the past cursing and accusing Justin Langer of being a cheat for not walking against Wasim Akram in a Test match back in 1999.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personal milestones is the only thing Babar players for. There was no chance in hell he was going to walk on 49.

No issue with what he did. If Kohli did this, our posters would be commenting how brave, aggressive and courageous he is with his win at all costs attitude.

Babar is a star batsman and champion. He is ultimately a competitor and he has no reason to walk until the Umpire gives him out.

I can’t recall Kohli doing something like this. In fact, he walked against Pakistan in the 2019 World Cup even though he was not out, but he assumed that he was out.

Walking will always be viewed as a noble thing to do, but you cannot criticize a player for not walking. The umpires are there for a reason.

However, we have to be very clear about why Babar did not walk. It had nothing to do with helping Pakistan win the match and everything to do with the fact that he was on 49. He only plays for personal milestones.

Not a smart move especially when DRS call is available to the opposition.
Play with honesty and play fairly - this is what sports is all about and this is how classy sportsmen are made.

lol honesty.

Team used up all its drs, they had none left.

Babar well within his rights

Karma is a real…

One day, Pakistan will have no reviews left and an opposition player will also not walk on a clear edge, and it could happen in a crucial World Cup game

Would love to see the people defending Babar at all costs to defend the opposition player too

The truth is, they will not!

It has happened against Pakistan many times, our fans did not like it naturally, so why not our players try to get the same advantage as well or should we just allow them to be only victimised.

Karma is a real…

One day, Pakistan will have no reviews left and an opposition player will also not walk on a clear edge, and it could happen in a crucial World Cup game

Would love to see the people defending Babar at all costs to defend the opposition player too

The truth is, they will not!

Everyone looks out for their own team. Is that such a bad thing? This is sports not real life where someone will die or lose their home because Babar did not walk against the New Zealand side, in a cricket match. We don't know if he knew, no one has asked him.

Let's keep it real.

Everyone looks out for their own team. Is that such a bad thing? This is sports not real life where someone will die or lose their home because Babar did not walk against the New Zealand side, in a cricket match. We don't know if he knew, no one has asked him.

Let's keep it real.

Pakistan had 1 review left and NZ has 0

If Babar didn’t know, of course he would take the review! He was on 49, why wouldn’t he? Babar reserves a review for himself in all formats. He 100% knew he nicked it and was hoping that the umpire who has a soft corner for him like Justice Qayyum had for Wasim Akram would miss it. When Babar didn’t walk and the NZ players asked him he then raised his finger, then Babar walked off

Pakistan had 1 review left and NZ has 0

If Babar didn’t know, of course he would take the review! He was on 49, why wouldn’t he? Babar reserves a review for himself in all formats. He 100% knew he nicked it and was hoping that the umpire who has a soft corner for him like Justice Qayyum had for Wasim Akram would miss it. When Babar didn’t walk and the NZ players asked him he then raised his finger, then Babar walked off

did babar take the review?

you have a habit of disproving your own posts

did babar take the review?

you have a habit of disproving your own posts

What like you did with your horrendous claim of Pakistan not losing to India because of their bowling??

So why didn’t he if he wasn’t sure that he had nicked it or not? Tell me the answer

did Babar took the review? you are saying he saves one for himself.

So tell us did Babar took the review which he had?

ur not answering my question, did Babr take a review or not?

Dimagh na kha!

Sick and tired of arguing with your Pakistani uncle politician self on things you clearly know are wrong!

Dimagh na kha!

Sick and tired of arguing with your Pakistani uncle politician self on things you clearly know are wrong!

Maybe dont post whatever comes into your mind and actually think before you psot if you dont want others to pick your brains.

again, you did not answer the question,

you claim babar saves a review for himself, so tell me did Babar used up that review or not which you claim he saves for himself?

Maybe dont post whatever comes into your mind and actually think before you psot if you dont want others to pick your brains.

again, you did not answer the question,

you claim babar saves a review for himself, so tell me did Babar used up that review or not which you claim he saves for himself?

No maybe you stop justifying dishonesty just because someone you like has done it

Babar is proven to be dishonest here. Sorry, there is nothing that I have written that can be factually disproven!

All you Babar defenders!

Call out injustice, deceit now or don’t call it out when it happens to Pakistan in the future!

No maybe you stop justifying dishonesty just because someone you like has done it

Babar is proven to be dishonest here. Sorry, there is nothing that I have written that can be factually disproven!

did babar used the review which you claim he saved for himself?

Didn't know walking was expected of players now. Not walking is the norm.

Only person that always claimed to walk was Gilchrist as far as I remember.
not necessarily only Gilly did, its just that because the occasion was grand-2007 WC finals. Several others walked, I remember Rahul D on so many occasions.- i think jonathon trott mentioned this in some interview about him. Sunny G did - check WC 1983 both semi finals and finals - equally a grand occasion. I sort of remember Azahr Ali walking once, against Aus. any way my point is gilly was'nt the only one and also he deserves praise for walking but there were several others.

I’ll say it again because this truth is hard to digest

Babar would review a plumb lbw decision to somehow save himself, one review will always be reserved for Babar!

Why didn’t Babar take a review if he was unsure whether he was out or not?

Babar would review a plumb lbw decision to somehow save himself, one review will always be reserved for Babar!

Why does it matter? Why should Babar not do anything to stay on the field and win. He did not gesture to the umpire like Kohli or made a face to say he wasn't out?

He did what was needed for Pakistan and Pakistan fans/supporters are fine with that. He wasn't booed, NO one in the press or in NZ has mentioned this yet you seem convinced!

Why does it matter? Why should Babar not do anything to stay on the field and win. He did not gesture to the umpire like Kohli or made a face to say he wasn't out?

He did what was needed for Pakistan and Pakistan fans/supporters are fine with that. He wasn't booed, NO one in the press or in NZ has mentioned this yet you seem convinced!

First of all, I don’t think Pakistani fans inside the stadium understand the game besides 4s and 6s. They are just there for entertainment purposes and nothing else. So they don’t exactly care about morals.

Secondly, think of it from a NZ perspective. Are they not trying to win the game fairly too? I keep asking you, if this happens against Pakistan only then you will understand the pain of being robbed. So be fair and call it out when we do it, otherwise we have no right whatsoever to complain when we are at the receiving end of it!

First of all, I don’t think Pakistani fans inside the stadium understand the game besides 4s and 6s. They are just there for entertainment purposes and nothing else. So they don’t exactly care about morals.

Secondly, think of it from a NZ perspective. Are they not trying to win the game fairly too? I keep asking you, if this happens against Pakistan only then you will understand the pain of being robbed. So be fair and call it out when we do it, otherwise we have no right whatsoever to complain when we are at the receiving end of it!

We will always do what's best for us as long as we are not breaking any rules.

We went to the final of the T20 World Cup because of weather etc. In theory we should have conceded the semi and final as that was not fair.

This is just life. Every sportsperson tries to take advantage and that is what Babar did (or tried to do).

No one has any qualms about it and you can point out this fact when people next complain about it.

Babar played by the rules.

When Babar is scoring runs and that too at good enough rate, then need ti bring other factors to being him down like slowing down near milestone, taking a review when he knows he is out, and now waiting for umpire to give him out-this must be illegal or against the spirit of the sport and no one does it.

We will always do what's best for us as long as we are not breaking any rules.

We went to the final of the T20 World Cup because of weather etc. In theory we should have conceded the semi and final as that was not fair.

This is just life. Every sportsperson tries to take advantage and that is what Babar did (or tried to do).

No one has any qualms about it and you can point out this fact when people next complain about it.

Babar played by the rules.

Fair enough

Let’s never complain about Ashwin mankading batsmen also in the future

I'm a Babar critic but unless it's absolutely blatant (Broad in 2013) - walk only when the umpire raises his finger.

Fair enough

Let’s never complain about Ashwin mankading batsmen also in the future

Bro we will complain if he does it to our batter - we are Pakistan fans!

No batter has any obligation to walk. It is the job of umpire to give a batter out.

So, Babar did nothing wrong.

I dont know if u ll have played cric at any level or not. Players usually dont walk to nicks. This is also a part of the game. Many times in the matvhes we play umpire fails to see the edge and gives not out and we just let it go because its just like an lbw decision. Right and wrong decisions are part of game and u even have 2 reviews for such shocker of decision so use el wisely because thats also the part of game.

Have you got examples or are you just waffling.

Wasn't so clear as even the umpire needed convincing with that appeal. Maybe Babar had doubt about the nick

My question is whether Tom Latham was right to appeal a caught behind of Rizwan in the 39th over even though the bat was nowhere near the ball!

Even fooled Aleem Dar!

Does the bowler ever call a batsman back if umpire gives out even if the batsman is clearly not out. Umpire is there to do a job. No batsman should ever walk. This is just plain stupid

With 1 review left, absolutely disgraceful.

He was hoping the Snicko wouldn't pick up his edge. It was a big nick that was more than just audible.

All this guy cares about is his milestones.

Your boy Tendulkar did the same, go on, call him dishonest and despicable too.

https://youtu.be/3RfW9mGjMTo

I would totally expect this from Indians and wouldn’t be surprised one bit.

In the past, some Pak stars have shown the class - and it was a chance for Babar to keep the tradition alive. However, Baber chose to act like a third class Indian player - such as Tendulkar or Ashwin.

Last edited:
Those who like Babar will defend him. Those who don’t like Babar will go after him. In both cases, regardless of personal views, they will add their views about Babar rather than just sticking to the act of walking or not walking.

I am always clear on this and I know it will put anyone in a massive disadvantage - “Walk if you are out”.

Last edited:
Back