[VIDEO] Was taking 2 runs after a throw from Sanju Samson hit Mohammad Nabi against the spirit of cricket?

Was taking 2 runs after a throw from Sanju Samson hit Mohammad Nabi against the spirit of cricket?

• Yes, it was against the Spirit of the game

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No, it was okay

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
View attachment fghan.mp4

I guess it was perfectly fine for me as Mohammad Nabi was not aware of the ball coming towards him, and it was his right to take runs as he did not touch the ball deliberately.

What are your views on it, please vote and comment.

-----------------------------

Kohli's Strong Reaction As Rohit, Nabi Argue Over 'Sportsmanship'

India captain Rohit Sharma was involved in an intense chat with Afghanistan veteran Mohammad Nabi during the first Super Over of the 3rd T20I in Bengaluru on Wednesday. A throw from India wicket-keeper Sanju Samson hit Nabi's pad from behind and resulted in a big deflection, with Afghanistan deciding to make the most of the opportunity by running two extra runs. Rohit, fuming at the ‘unsportsmanlike' decision, argued with both Nabi and the umpire about the unfair advantage that the visiting team got. But, the runs continued to be counted.

Nabi, on his part, seemed to have put forth the point that he didn't deliberately come in the line of the throw, and hence, he had the right to make the opportunity count.

Even Virat Kohli, who stopped the ball after the deflection, pointed at legs, signalling that Nabi shouldn't have taken the additional double as the ball had hit him.

Former India cricketer, Aakash Chopra suggested that the Men in Blue wasn't right in arguing for that game of play in which the player ran two extra runs.

"A bye was taken off the last ball. Sanju Samson threw the ball, it hit Nabi's leg and they ran two extra runs. One was available and India gave one because they were complaining about the spirit of the game. India were wrong in complaining. You could have restricted them to two runs and you conceded a third just like that," he said on his YouTube channel.

The cricketer-turned-commentator further gave an example of a World Cup final to explain his statement.

"My question is, assuming had it been the last ball of a World Cup final and the extra run you were getting after the ball hit the pads was deciding the match, would anyone not run there? Would anyone be ready to lose the World Cup by not taking that run because it is ethically incorrect? Everyone would have run," the former India opener explained.

The extra double didn't cost the Indian team much as Rohit Sharma's men won the contest in the second Super Over after the first one was tied.
SOURCE: NDTV

Shubman Gill did it earlier in the first T20

Fair is fair

It's fair. I don't see anything that should be related to the spirit of the game. It's quite normal and fine.

I don't think Nabi did it deliberately. He wasn't watching the ball. He was running.

This happened in 2019 WC final also. Ball hit Stokes and it went for a boundary.

So, this was fair.

There;s a simple way to fix this, write a rule that permits/prohibits it.

Teams should play to the rules of the game not the unofficial spirit of the game.

There;s a simple way to fix this, write a rule that permits/prohibits it.

Teams should play to the rules of the game not the unofficial spirit of the game.

Agree.

ICC can avoid these dramas by closing out all the loopholes/grey areas.

Unfair. Nabi should’ve stopped if you don’t know what happened I can understand. But can’t believe he didn’t knew it was against spirit of the game and that’s nothing new with Afghanistan. And deservingly lost at the end.

I still don't know the meaning of spirit of cricket, probably will never know. Is there a spirit of football, spirit of basketball or spirit of tennis?

Just follow the laws of the game. Don't like a law, amend it.

Shameful and against the spirit of the game , if there any such thing is left .

Most players don't run in situations like this. Batsman was fully aware of ball hitting him and then deflecting. May be 2nd run since other batsman was already running so you have less time to react, but third run?

I see no issue. Ball hitting the leg was unintentional. Afg are well within their rights to take the extra runs.

If it's within the rules then go ahead and do the deed. Thats my take on this spirit of cricket nonsense.

India vs Afghanistan 3rd T20I: "As Long As..." - Rahul Dravid's Verdict On 'Controversial Run' During Super Over

Playing down the on-field controversy around a moment during the first super over of the pulsating third T20I against Afghanistan at the Chinnaswamy in Bengaluru on Wednesday, India head coach Rahul Dravid called it a "part of the game". India skipper Rohit Sharma was seen remonstrating with an on-field umpire after Afghan all-rounder Mohammed Nabi ran byes off a deflected throw during the first super over of the T20I on Wednesday. That moment was one of many that made the nail-biting contest one for the ages. The hosts, however, survived a mighty scare from the visitors to seal the contest in the second super over and ensure a series sweep. Nabi and Rahmanullah Gurbaz ran byes after Sanju Samson's throw struck the former and deflected off him to the outfield.

Giving his take on the incident, Dravid said, "It is fine. It is part of the game. Sometimes you get frustrated that it happens, but it's fair enough, all part of the game. It hit the non-striker and then it moved and I think that's fine and you can run for those."

Dravid went on to compare the incident with an instance that took place during the first T20I of the series when the hosts picked up a run in a similar situation.

"In the first T20, I think there was an incident where the ball hit the bat of one of our batsmen and we took a run as well. So I think there is nothing to read into it and I don't think nothing in the rules that stops you from actually taking those runs," Dravid said.

"Arguments can happen at the end of tight games. I think when you play for your country, there is so much passion and emotion and I think it is incredible that even in dead rubber games when it gets down to the wire, the competitiveness and passion come out. As long as it doesn't cross the line, and that's why we have match referees to look at these things," Dravid added.

Rohit was quite animated after Afghanistan decided to take a run after the ball struck the player. Even Virat Kohli pointed out that the ball had struck Nabi.

Dravid opined that such a display of emotions was normal and said, "Sometimes a little bit of that passion and emotion is really important. It shows how much the players care."

Coming to the match, Afghanistan managed to match India's 212 with a collective performance. The match went to super over which saw the first one ending on level terms forcing the game to move to the second one.

Rohit's impressive strikes and Ravi Bishnoi's composure with the ball helped India clinch the victory.

Source: NDTV

Back