Post of the Week
Zim v NZ - Bulawayo 24 August
Ind v NZ - Bulawayo 26 August
Zim v Ind - Harare 29 August
Zim v NZ - Harare 31 August
Ind v NZ - Harare 2 Sep
Zim v Ind - Harare 4 Sep

Final - Zim v NZ Harare 6 Sep

:D place any tourney updates on this thread please.

While most of the cricket world turns its eyes towards Trent Bridge for the fourth Test of a compelling Ashes series, a powerful India, a proven New Zealand and a topsy-turvy Zimbabwe begin a triangular one-day international series in Bulawayo and Harare. After the three countries meet each other twice, a sequence providing six matches in all, the final will be held in Harare on September 6.

Zimbabwe cannot be expected to figure in the tournament, although it is wise to avoid predicting write-offs, as their new coach Kevin Curran will be looking to make his mark during his first game in charge against New Zealand on Wednesday.

But the Kiwis are resounding favourites, having beaten Zimbabwe in both their Test matches which ended last week - one by an innings and 294 runs, the other by an innings and 46. India versus New Zealand will be a fascinating prospect, as both sides are regarded as being evenly balanced.

New Zealand are very strong in the middle order, with the captain, Stephen Fleming, Nathan Astle, Chris Cairns and Craig McMillan backed up by Scott Styris, any of whom could produce fireworks. India's Virender Sehwag, one of the greatest cricket entertainers on earth, and the steadying influence of Rahul Dravid, will provide plenty of big innings in response.

The respective batsmen on each side are most likely to take centre stage because the Queens Sports Club ground, once its early morning dangers have been negotiated, offers a slowish, true pitch of even bounce that will encourage the chasing of boundaries.

Zimbabwe, meanwhile, have chopped up their Test squad after their poor performance against New Zealand by dispensing with Craig Wishart, Dion Ebrahim, Chris Mpofu, Graeme Cremer and Neil Ferreira. Several with some previous experience have been brought back, including Chaminorwa Chibhabha, Waddington Mwayenga, Edward Rainsford, Prosper Utseya, Charles Coventry and Vusimusi Sibanda.

This is a fragile-looking line-up, but it was forced on the selectors, obliged to choose between a group of failures against New Zealand, and previous players who never quite made it. They are, though, able to welcome back their big-hitting fast bowler Andy Blignaut, who once took apart Australia's Jason Gillespie.

Zimbabwe have beaten India eight times in ODIs, although that has been over a 22-year period, and they beat the Kiwis 2-1 when they toured here in 2000-01. But Zimbabwe have much to learn, both on and off the field, and they will not figure in the outcome as India and New Zealand take off the gloves and battle pretty much evenly for the spoils.

Squads

Zimbabwe Tatenda Taibu (capt & wk), Andy Blignaut, Heath Streak, Chamunorwa Chibhabha, Keith Dabengwa, Waddington Mwayengwa, Edward Rainsford, Prosper Utseya, Blessing Mahwire, Stuart Carlisle, Hamilton Mazakadsa, Charles Coventry, Brendan Taylor, Craig Wishart, Vusimuzi Sibanda, Gavin Ewing.

India Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag, Yuvraj Singh, Mohammad Kaif, Venugopal Rao, Suresh Raina, Mahendra Dhoni, Harbhajan Singh, Murali Kartik, Ashish Nehra, Irfan Pathan, Ajit Agarkar, Rudra Pratap Singh, Jai Prakash Yadav.

New Zealand Stephen Fleming, Daniel Vettori, Hamish Marshall, Nathan Astle, Scott Styris, Lou Vincent, Jacob Oram, Brendon McCullum, Kyle Mills, Shane Bond, Chris Martin, Craig McMillan, Chris Cairns, Andre Adams, Jeetan Patel.

source cricinfo

new zealand look strong for sure....all their tops players in there... and with Bond in good form, nothing can go wrong my friend...

so new zealand thrash the minnows zimbabwe today and they shud be favs to beat the other minnows india tmoz.

New Zealand to win the competition easily. They are a strong force in ODIs. They have the players that suit ODIs more than tests. It will be interesting to see Zimbabwe v India though. Will be a tight contest :91:

Match 2 :
Ind vs NZ

NZ won toss and batting

6/1 after 2.3 Overs
Pathan strikes in 2nd over . Vincent gone .

3.3 Nehra to Fleming, OUT: Nehra joins the party! short of a good
length delivery, pitched close to the off stump and moving away
off the seam, Fleming goes after it and ends up with a thick edge
straight to the keeper, New Zealand in trouble here

Nehra strikes too
10/2 NZ in trouble early on.

Nehra takes another one, NZ are 13/3.

Pathan and Nehra are bowling realy well

Mercenary said:
i've always liked Nehra, i dont know why thye dont play him more often.
Because Nehra is to Indian Cricket what Chaminda Vaas is to World Cricket....under-rated.

Cricinfo comment "and that's the end of that - New Zealand four down!"

I dont know what dose it mean?

And Irfan takes another wicket to bring NZ down to 36/5. Some inspired bowling from Irfan and Nehra here.

I guess NZ are learning the difference between Zim bowlers and bowlers from a top 8 team!!

I think Pathans haircut may have improved his bowling.....

5 down...Nehra is bowling way better...but Pathan's getting the wickets..

MenInGreen said:
I think Pathans haircut may have improved his bowling.....
Sometimes not having hair in your eyes can help you actually see a bit better, and thus improve accuracy.

Hey! Have we just hit on the formula to get Sami a bit more control??

Saving partnership between Oram and McMillan now....

OTW said:
Sometimes not having hair in your eyes can help you actually see a bit better, and thus improve accuracy.

Hey! Have we just hit on the formula to get Sami a bit more control??

lagey raho

lagey raho

you keep hoping.....

McMillan and Cairns at the crease. Slogging is word that comes to mind with this pair

Cairns really playing patiently (tempted to do a shocked smilie) and McCullum is going at a run a ball.

There have been some self-inflicted dismissals from NZ but they can be chalked up to the early pressure applied by Pathan and Nehra which has got NZ on the backfoot all the way through this innings.

what do you think would be a 'safe total' for NZ to aim for? I think 250-270 is defendable but it will require saintly patience from the remaining NZ batsmen

don't know what the pitch/conditions are like so cannot say whether 215 will be enough. We need some early wickets though.

On another note......great to see Bhajji bowling so well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hash said:
On another note......great to see Bhajji bowling so well.
:))) 4 sixes off him today. Bit ****** to see Pathan get wickets though. Hopefully as you said Hash NZ can get early wickets with Oram and Cairns

Last edited by a moderator:
Isnt Bond playing?????? Damn I was really looking forward to watch him get spanked doggy style by sehwag :((

RH said:
Bit ****** to see Pathan get wickets though.

Na yaar it shouldnt be like that. Pathan has had a lot to put up with in the past year what with all the punishment Afridi has given him. The guy deserves a break.

go INDIA, even though i hate ganguly... but this will help Pakistan maintain 3rd spot :D

Raz said:
Na yaar it shouldnt be like that. Pathan has had a lot to put up with in the past year what with all the punishment Afridi has given him. The guy deserves a break.
LOL

Raz said:
Sometimes i think that you are too kind Raz :p

Hash i've changed chuckbajan to bhajji. Since we moved from sportnetwork we've tried to have a policy on PP where we dont call players names like 'ko-tha' or 'ch-ucky' etc.

We're not interested what other forummers on other forums do or say, thats their business but I'm sure you agree that on PP the quality of cricket discussion is so good that we dont need to be using derogatory names like these for players who are after all only out there earning a living.

Romali_rotti said:
Isnt Bond playing?????? Damn I was really looking forward to watch him get spanked doggy style by sehwag :((

Just like the beating you guys gave them in the last tour to NZ...eh:))) :))

Bond's first real test on his comeback trail is about to take place. Lets see if hes as potent as he once was. From what i've seen he does swing it prodigiously now. Its just a matter of getting that pace up now. At his best hes waqar II.

Mercenary said:
Bond is Nz's super-sub and will be playing when the match resumes!
Oh yeah i forgot about this stupid super sub rule. It's really confusing:12:

Bond is bowling superbly, Ganguly was hopping around all over the place and is now back in the pavilion. Now he yorked and bowled rao on the next ball with a 145kph delivery, Bond on a hat trick!!

Its a shame Oram is letting Bond down on the other side

Sehwag and Ganguly opening...

10/0 after 2 overs

Bond sent down a 146kph yorker to Dravid for the hat trick ball. It was a beautiful delivery but Dravid was equal to it!

2.2 Bond to Ganguly, OUT: short delivery aimed on the rib-cage, Ganguly
tires to run it down fine but ends up gloving it straight to
McCullum

AHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHA. Bechaara Gangu still protecting his bootha when they stick it up him.

Watching live Merc?

I have to rely on updates from a colleague....My computer is letting me down today....

Is the pitch as dead as he says it is? Did they send Dhoni up the order....who's batting now?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. Bond is well and truly back. As i say, the best player of pace , inzi, mentions him in the same breath as waqar declaring them the two most lethal quicks he has seen during his career. Thats a high compliment indeed.

5.2 Adams to Yuvraj Singh, OUT: outside off and swinging away, Yuvraj
has a swish at it, the ball takes the outside edge of the bat and
flies to Stephen Fleming at first slip, who takes a simple catch
India 19/4 (5.5 ov)

:))) :))) :))) :))) :))) :))) :)))

make that 34/5 - Kaif gone to Bond ! Indians making this into some slapstick comedy now !

AHAHAHAHAHAHA bechaare. THis is just high class stuff from shane bond.

Bond to Sehwag, out Caught by Hamish Marshall!! good length ball, Sehwag drives, uppishly towards point, Marshall leaps to his right and takes a very good catch, making sure he holds on to it ! V Sehwag c H Marshall b S Bond 15(22) 4s-2 6s-0

5 wickets for Bond

:))) :))) :)))
:27: :27: :27:

KIWI KIWI KIWI KIWI KIWI!!!!!

:))) :))) :))) :))) :)))

Sehwag auntie its one thing to stick ur bat out when a wayward and out of form akhtar gives u juicy, wide short pitched stuff outside the off ball after ball. BUt its a different ball game when shane bond lets it rip.

I hope you guys realize, with NZ winning this tournament, they are going to pass us in the official rankings

Bonds average speed so far is 144kph with the fastest being 146.9kph.

amir- and we will re-pass them when we beat England:19:

But if you want to support India in this then go ahead......I don't care.

43 for 7!!!!!

:))) :))) :))) :108: :108: :113: :113: :125:

New Zealand are giving the Indians a bit of a :133:

Last edited:
Adams to Dhoni, out Caught by McCullum!! bit short and width, Dhoni slashes it, tries to force it towards cover, played early and pays the price, simple edge straight to the keeper ! M Dhoni c B McCullum b A Adams 2(5) 4s-0 6s-0

India: 43/7 (11.5 Ovs)

would love to know how ICF are going at the moment. You can just imagine all the excuses that will be flying around. Perhaps they will realise now that India are notactually that good? In fact, they are quite ****!

What has happened to this Indian team? a year ago they were self-proclaimed number 2 in the world, now i won't be surprised if Zimbabwe puts up a challenge against them.

Hash said:
would love to know how ICF are going at the moment. You can just imagine all the excuses that will be flying around. Perhaps they will realise now that India are notactually that good? In fact, they are quite ****!

The best glade bhai could come up with is " Pakistan Haarega" :20:

Bond's best figures are 6/23 vs Aus....

Best vs India was 2/23

How's it looking so far?

Indian fans probably breaking their TV sets in frustration right now :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back