[VIDEOS] Abdul Samad: The answer to Pakistan's quest for a middle-order powerhouse

@Rana @mominsaigol

I have high expectations from this lad. He can be something big for Pakistan in the future. It's just that we need to invest in him right now in the domestic circuit and let him play for another year in domestic cricket. Whenever he has 50 List-A games under his belt, we can unleash him in ODIs and he will be a blockbuster. Fingers crossed.

@Rana @mominsaigol

I have high expectations from this lad. He can be something big for Pakistan in the future. It's just that we need to invest in him right now in the domestic circuit and let him play for another year in domestic cricket. Whenever he has 50 List-A games under his belt, we can unleash him in ODIs and he will be a blockbuster. Fingers crossed.
Sooner or later the Misbah Genes will start showing I’m afraid

Just take it as it goes.

Pakistan doesn’t need anything fancy. It just needs batters who are not liabilities against quality attacks.

What a decent knock from Abdul Samad today made 42(37) against Lions while chasing. His team lost but the way he hit clean boundaries was fascinating.

A probable future star

Pakistan's renowned cricket commentator, Shah Faisal, during an exclusive chat with PakPassion, shared his views about Abdul Samad:

"Like Abdul Samad, as I pointed out earlier as well, Pakistan has players of all abilities and skills. The question remains, how will they come to the fore? That's the main job."

"About Abdul Samad, it's too soon to draw conclusions; you need to keep an eye on him. He has shown exceptional ability as a natural striker of the ball."

"We need middle-order batters who possess physical presence as well. When they come in to bat, the opposing team should know that when he hits the ball, it won't fall on the ground."

"I've spoken to him, and he exudes confidence. Here, the system's role becomes crucial."

Most of these 'big hitters' of domestic cannot replicate their performance in Intl cricket. Khushdil is one example. Sammad has done well against trundlers in this tournament but I will be surprised if he has the ability to do that against 145 kph bouncers. He hits spinners well but then again quality of Pakistani spin these days in at an all time low.

Abdul Samad gone cheaply today as he made 2(10) against Panthers while playing for the Markhors in the Qualifier of Champions One-Day Cup 2024.

Abdul Samad gone cheaply today as he made 2(10) against Panthers while playing for the Markhors in the Qualifier of Champions One-Day Cup 2024.
He lacks basics which is terrible for a 26 year old guy or may be he is under extreme anxiety for not getting chance again if he fails which eventually led his downfall, seems mentally weak and can’t play confident shots at the start of the innings

Abdul Samad in Champions One-Day Cup 2024

Matches 6
Runs 145
HS 62
Average 24.16
SR 122.88

Hit or Flop?

Abdul Samad in Champions One-Day Cup 2024

Matches 6
Runs 145
HS 62
Average 24.16
SR 122.88

Hit or Flop?
Really just one good innings where he showed some potential but in the end you could say these were Asif Ali’s stats and no one would know the difference.

For someone to have been around that long, surprised to see such few list A and FC matches. A FC average of 12 is telling.
I hope they don’t get carried away by this fluke innings. Find reliable FC batters.
A candid reminder that you cannot ignore consistent domestic performance. Unless folks stop getting carried away by fluke innings here and there, and prioritize consistency, Pakistan cricket is unlikely to upgrade.

Won 1 game out of 6 single handedly.

Is that good enough for a finisher.

I think it's ok
You want him in the team already? I dont mind taking him but it's better to maybe wait.

The hype of his first innings has died down on everyone now.

From this tournament I have seen so many batters who are half cooked , some can play spin well , some can play bounce and pace , some can construct an innings , some good at playing in the gaps , some can play swing , but none of them have more than 1 or max 2 of those skills which are required for International batters.

You need a batter who can play pace , bounce , movement and knows how to construct an innings while can play in the gaps as well , this is the bare minimum requirement for an international batter if you don't include innovative shots or power hitting and sadly none of the batter meets this criteria apart from may be Kamran Ghulam but even he struggles against moving deliveries.

Samad can play bounce and pace well and can play spin as well but apart from that he has no other skills to succeed.

You want him in the team already? I dont mind taking him but it's better to maybe wait.

The hype of his first innings has died down on everyone now.
Not in the team but shouldn't be written off completely either. That performance was one of the best I've seen in ages. We need to see if he can replicate it. But we should be realistic no player can do that every game.

Hopefully he plays more domestic cricket and PSL to see what he can do.

He is far from international at the moment.

Not in the team but shouldn't be written off completely either. That performance was one of the best I've seen in ages. We need to see if he can replicate it. But we should be realistic no player can do that every game.

He is playing cricket since 2013 and still hasn't got his basics right , tells you alot about coaching standard and concept of grooming in our domestic cricket.

I'm fine with him being a no 7 in the future for pakistan cricket. But only after next psl season assuming he performs.

Back