[VIDEOS] Australia cricket legend, Shane Warne, dies aged 52 of ‘suspected heart attack’

Warne’s children in ‘complete shock’ after his death, manager says

Shane Warne’s three children are in “complete shock” following the sudden death of their father from a suspected heart attack in Thailand, the cricket legend’s long-time manager said.

James Erskine said he had spoken to Warne’s ex-wife Simone, who was “really upset”, while Warne’s three children - Jackson, Brooke and Summer - were still trying to come to terms with the tragedy.

Warne was in Koh Samui, Thailand, on the second day of a holiday when he didn’t show up to drinks at 5pm on Friday. Warne’s friend Andrew Neophitou performed CPR on the former player for 20 minutes before paramedics arrived, but Warne could not be saved.

“Jackson just said, ‘we just expect him to walk in the door, this is like a bad dream’,” Erskine told Weekend Today on Sunday.

“I think the three children are in complete shock. They can’t believe what’s happened. I think that’s what happens when you have a sudden death.

“One minute, the kids are talking to him every day and the next minute, they can’t talk to him. Then they start thinking about, well, ‘he’s not going to be there for my 21st [birthday], he’s not going to take me down the aisle’, all of those sorts of things go through your head.

“They are having a much harder time than anybody, really.”

Erskine said he will remember the 52-year-old for his honesty. Warne was the sort of person who could talk to both the Queen and the “dustbin man” and was also great with children, Erskine said.

“I think, at the end of the day, he was a larrikin, there’s no doubt about it,” he said.

“He got himself in a few messes, I helped him get out of a few. But I think it was just his honesty about it.”

Liz Hurley, Warne’s former fiancee, posted photos of the pair on Instragram, saying: “I feel like the sun has gone behind a cloud forever. RIP my beloved Lionheart.”

The British model and actor began dating Warne at the end of 2010. The pair became engaged in October 2011, but split up two years later.

“The Warne impulse was in action,” Warne wrote in his book, when recalling his impromptu proposal to Hurley on James Packer’s superyacht.

“I didn’t have a ring, nothing, but the moment was right.”

Warne later credited Hurley for helping him to get back into shape and for making the transition to a healthier lifestyle.

The relationship with Hurley provided the catalyst for the bowler’s final split from Simone in December 2010, after pictures of him kissing Hurley were published. His marriage had already gone through a number of tumultuous years.

Warne devoted a whole chapter of his book to his time with Hurley: “I can honestly say that the time I had with Elizabeth were the happiest years of my life,” he wrote.

The pair announced their split in December 2013, saying work commitments had kept them apart.

Meantime, actor Magda Szubanski reflected on her friendship with the cricketer, who once appeared alongside her in an episode of Kath and Kim.

In the television show, Szubanski’s character, Sharon Strzelecki, was obsessed with Warne, and Warne himself agreed to appear on the show as Warne impersonator Wayne.

“I think it’s very hard to digest something like that. Someone who is so very alive, [has] got that incredible life force, when it is just snuffed out so suddenly like that, I think we all, cognitively, can’t really comprehend it,” Szubanski told Nine’s Weekend Today on Sunday.

Reflecting on Warne’s cameo, Szubanski said she hadn’t met the spin king before, but was “so struck” by a man who was sweet, gentle and thoughtful.

“I went, ‘Oh wow, I get it. I get that charm,’” she said.

“Charisma is something you can’t manufacture, it’s just who you are as a person and that radiated out of him. And [he was] a lot smarter than people would’ve thought he was too.

“I was completely won over, bowled over by Shane.”

The actor joked: “I did receive some late night texts from Shane Warne.”

“We never claimed that we were like close besties or anything, but we did have an ongoing connection, and I was just very, very fond of him.”

She said Warne’s legacy would be “for being a genius”, adding that his family were in her thoughts as they navigate this “impossibly hard time”.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...r-his-death-manager-says-20220306-p5a26g.html

Gilly about Warne's generosity,

“A number of the English players flew via helicopter to an exclusive golf club outside Melbourne after Warnie arranged the flights and rounds of golf for them. I know they gave Warnie a gift for doing so but when the bill came in, it was five figures.”

“When the bill arrived Warnie’s reaction was “oh, okay then.’’ At no point did he say “are they going to pay me?’’ He just quietly fixed up the bill and moved on. There was no complaining or whinging from Warnie. That was typical of the man and his generosity of spirit.”

“His generosity, underestimated by those who didn’t know him, was a strong suit of Warnie’s. I remember flying home with a knee injury after the third Test at Old Trafford in 1997 and Warnie was on the same flight because his daughter Brooke was born. We flew home together and he used his points to upgrade me to first class. Sitting next to a legend who had just become a father was an experience I will always cherish.”

Warne was that rare fun human being known for his outgoing personality, something that the nerdy game of cricket is not known to attract. RIP King.

Shane Warne's body arrives at Surat Thani for autopsy after removal from Koh Samui

The body of Australian cricketing great Shane Warne has arrived at Surat Thani hospital, on mainland Thailand, for an autopsy, after being moved from the Thai holiday island of Koh Samui.

The 52-year-old died after suffering a suspected heart attack at a luxury villa on the island on Friday.

An ambulance carrying Warne's body has been taken by ferry from Koh Samui with Warne's friends, Australian ambassador Allan McKinnon and DFAT officials on board.

On arrival to the mainland, the ambulance drove to a hospital in the town of Surat Thani, where doctors will work to determine the exact cause of death.

Warne's friends, the ambassador and DFAT officials have gone into the hospital to meet with doctors.

The hospital on Samui was not equipped for doctors to perform an autopsy so they brought Warne's body to Surat Thani, where there is a larger hospital with more resources.

Warne remembered on Koh Samui
More tributes have been laid outside the Sumujana Villas on Koh Samui, where Warne had been staying with his friends.

English tourist Alistair Plant rode up on a motorcycle to lay some flowers.

"I'm in Samui and I was devastated when I heard the news," Mr Plant told the ABC.

"Obviously like everybody who likes cricket, loves cricket, I just thought, as I'm in the area I'd come along to pay my respects to the great man.

"Obviously he's a long way from Australia here, but people who care about the game will come along and pay their respects."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03...aves-koh-samui-for-thailand-autopsy/100886674

Fresh details have emerged following the shock death of Australia cricket legend and the greatest leg-spinner of all-time, Shane Warne, aged 52.

The 708-Test wicket great was found unresponsive by friends in a villa he was staying at in Koh Samui, Thailand.

According to the Herald Sun, attempts by Warne’s close friend and associate Andrew Neophitou to revive him were unsuccessful.

Warne died soon after ordering a new suit and calling two Thai masseuses to his holiday villa, police said yesterday.

Paramedic Anuch Han-iam said Warne was unresponsive by the time he and a colleague arrived at the two-storey villa at the Samujan resort at 5pm local time on Friday.

“Shane’s friends were already trying to bring him back to life.

“I took over doing CPR while we waited for an ambulance.

“They were desperate. I think one was crying. They were really stressed and panicked.

“They kept trying to wake him and I heard someone saying, ‘Come on, Shane. Come on, Shane’.

“I could see they were all shocked and I just tried to concentrate and do my best.

“There were about four or five other people in the room. All men, there were no women.

“The villa was clean and I didn’t see any beer or cigarettes inside.

“There was nothing unusual that made me think they’d been partying. I didn’t know when I arrived that it was Shane Warne. But I know who he is, he’s a star.

“I did my best for him and gave all my energy. I’m so sorry that I couldn’t help him.”

Thai authorities were preparing Sunday to conduct an autopsy before flying him home where he will receive a state funeral, which was accepted by his family on Sunday evening.

“It will be an opportunity for Victorians to pay tribute to his contribution to his sport, to our state and the country,” premier Daniel Andrews said.

“Details will be finalised in (the) coming days.”

The Bangkok Post reported that bloodstains were found on the floor of Warne’s room as well as on bath towels and pillows.

Pol Maj Gen Satit Polpinit, commander of Surat Thani Provincial Police, told Thai newspaper Matichon that Warne had “coughed up liquid and was bleeding” when CPR started.

Warne’s manager James Erskine said Neophitou attempted to perform CPR before the ambulance arrived to take Warne to hospital but he was pronounced dead shortly after.

Meanwhile, ambulance team leader Phet Boonrak was quoted telling Thai media that Neophitou performed CPR for 20 minutes.

“His friends were so shocked,” he said.

“They said they had found him unconscious on the bed and moved him to the floor to attempt CPR. In the room, there was vomit on the floor but no sign of injuries.”

Neophitou was an executive producer behind the recently released documentary SHANE.

Staff at the Thai International Hospital told AFP in Bangkok that Warne’s body was taken to their facility around 6:00 pm local time (1100 GMT) from Samujana Villas, a luxury resort in the northeast of Koh Samui.

“No foul play was suspected at the scene based on our investigation,” Thai police told AFP.

Erskine revealed Warne was in Thailand at the beginning of three months off having spent the summer working for Fox Cricket on the Ashes.

“Shane was having three months off and this was the start of it,” he told the Remembering Shane Warne tribute on Fox Cricket.

“They had only arrived the night before.

“They were going to go out for a drink at 5 o’clock, and (Neophitou) knocked on his door at 5.15pm because Warnie was always on time and said “come on you’re going to be late” and then realised something was wrong.”

Erskine later revealed to Channel 9’s Today show that Warne had travelled to Thailand in a bid to get back into shape and had just finished a strict 14-day diet

“He did go on these ridiculous sort of diets, and he was just finished one, where he basically only ate fluids for 14 days and he’d done this three or four times,” Erskine said.

“It was a bit all or nothing. It was either white buns with butter and lasagne stuffed in the middle, or he would be having black and green juices.

“He obviously smoked most of his life (but) I don’t know, I think it was just a massive heart attack. That’s what I think’s happened.”

Thai police said on Saturday night that Warne had experienced chest pains prior to his death in Thailand, adding that he had a medical history of asthma and heart issues.

Yuttana Sirisombat, superintendent at the Bo Phut police station on Koh Samui, told reporters Warne recently “had seen doctors regarding a heart condition prior to his death”.

Sirisombat added “no drug substance was detected in Warne’s body”.

Warne’s body is set to be transferred to Surat Thani on the Thai mainland on Sunday for an official autopsy despite requests from his family to speed up its return to Australia.

The news is the second devastating blow for Australian cricket in 24 hours with fellow great, Rod Marsh, also dying on Friday having suffered a major heart attack last week.

Just hours before his death was made public, Warne tweeted his sadness over the death of Marsh who was one of his cricket idols.

Warne, credited with reviving the art of leg-spin, was part of a dominant Australian Test team in the 1990s and 2000s and helped his country win the 1999 limited-overs World Cup.

Australian captain Pat Cummins, currently leading the team on a tour of Pakistan, said Warne was “a hero” to the current generation of cricketers.

“The loss that we are all trying to wrap our heads around is huge,” he said in a video message. “The game was never the same after Warnie emerged, and the game will never be the same after his passing.” Warne’s inestimable impact was reflected by his inclusion in a list of the Wisden Cricketers of the 20th Century, alongside Donald Bradman, Garfield Sobers, Jack Hobbs and Viv Richards.

Bursting onto the scene as a brash young player with a shock of blond hair, Warne became almost as well known for a colourful life away from cricket as he was for his exploits on the field.

The first bowler to take 700 Test wickets with an assortment of leg-breaks, googlies, flippers and his own “zooters”, Warne retired from Australia duty in 2007 following a 5-0 series win at home to arch-rivals England.

He played 145 Tests in total over a 15-year career, taking 708 wickets, and was also a useful lower-order batsman, with a highest Test score of 99.

In addition to his international exploits, Warne also enjoyed a successful career with his Australian state side Victoria.

And while his private life effectively ruled him out of captaining Australia, for all his acknowledged tactical acumen, Warne did skipper English county team Hampshire.

Following his international retirement Warne continued to star on the Twenty20 franchise circuit, appearing for Rajasthan Royals in the Indian Premier League and his home town Melbourne Stars in Australia’s Big Bash League before quitting playing altogether.

He subsequently became a highly regarded television commentator and pundit, renowned for his forthright opinions.

Warne was also involved with team coaching -- most recently at London Spirit in England’s new Hundred competition -- and he worked individually too with current-day leg-spinners.

Warne was divorced from wife Simone Callahan, with whom he had three children. He also had high-profile relationship with British actress Liz Hurley.

India batting great Sachin Tendulkar wrote on Twitter of his ex-rival: “Shocked, stunned & miserable... Will miss you Warnie. There was never a dull moment with you around. Will always treasure our on field duels & off field banter.”

Former Australia team-mate Adam Gilchirst wrote: “Numb. The highlight of my cricketing career was to keep wicket to Warnie. Best seat in the house to watch the maestro at work.” Former England Test player Kevin Pietersen, a great friend who had numerous on-pitch duels with Warne, said “#RIPKing” along with a number of crying emojis as the tributes poured in -- including from Richards and Sri Lanka’s Muralitharan

Warne is survived by his three children Brooke, Summer and Jackson.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...k/news-story/2871d970df662a247709703aa287ce84

<b>Shane Warne: Family accept offer of state funeral for Australia legend</b>

Shane Warne's family have accepted the offer of a state funeral, says Victorian Premier Dan Andrews.

Legendary Australia spinner Warne died of a suspected heart attack in Thailand on Friday, aged 52.

Flowers, beer and photographs have been left at Warne's statue at the Melbourne Cricket Ground as fans paid tribute.

"It will be an opportunity for Victorians to pay tribute to his contribution to his sport, to our state and the country," Andrews said.

State funerals are held to honour people of national significance.

Warne took 708 wickets - the second most of all time - in 145 Tests across a stellar 15-year international career that ended in 2007.

"I've spoken with the Warne family again today and they have accepted my offer of a state funeral to remember Shane," Andrews said.

"Details will be finalised in the coming days."

Warne was found unresponsive by friends in his villa on the Thai island of Koh Samui.

His manager James Erskine said Warne's family are in "complete shock".

"I spoke to them yesterday and Jackson (Warne's son) said, 'We expect him to walk in the door. This is like a bad dream,'" Erskine told Australia's Nine Network.

"Keith, Shane's father, is a pretty strong individual but, like everybody, he's just shattered. They can't believe what's happened."

Tributes have been paid to Warne from across sport, with a stand at the MCG set to be named after him.

His body was taken to the Thai city of Surat Thani on Sunday for an autopsy.

Thai police are not treating the death as suspicious.

"His friends said that he had had chest pain since he was in Australia," said Yutthana Srisombat, superintendent of police in Bo Phut.

"Based on the evidence, we don't see other possible cause of death."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket...st+type]&at_custom2=twitter&at_medium=custom7

Shane was a heavy drinker and smoker as well. Recently he had been experiencing chest pains and problems with his asthma. On top of that he seemed obsessed with his appearance always doing something to achieve that perfect look. He had also been on a liquid diet only consuming beverages and water for a good many weeks to become slimmer. Sadly all these things combined his body just seemed to give up. We all want to appear good but not at the expense of taking such high risks like living on water or fruit drinks for weeks when we have other health problems too.

I am assuming that Australia has better medical facilities and hospitals than Thailand, why would he then go to Thailand for any alleged medical procedure?

I am assuming that Australia has better medical facilities and hospitals than Thailand, why would he then go to Thailand for any alleged medical procedure?

Reports are saying he went to Thailand for a holiday as he was taking a break from work.

Reports are saying he went to Thailand for a holiday as he was taking a break from work.

He had decided to take 3 months off (wanted a year off). So went for a holiday with 3 other friends.

I think we need to be extremely careful about Warne's cause of death. There are multiple mentions of a "heart attack" in this thread without any supporting evidence.

It's generally the case when a celebrity dies suddenly of natural causes that the initially claimed cause of death is not based upon actual medical assessment but the claims of family, friends or managers.

(The most notorious example was the tainted American sprinter Florence Griffith-Joyner. Her late career speed increases and physical changes were such that she was widely suspected of steroid abuse, and when she died aged 38 her management put out the absurd - yet widely accepted - claim that she had died of a "heart seizure", a fictional condition. When her final cause of death was released it had somehow become an epileptic seizure even though she had no history of treatment for epilepsy.)

Warne has almost certainly died of natural causes. But every other doctor I have spoken too thinks the same as me - sudden death after a long-haul flight with blood splattered around the bed is not suggestive of a heart attack but rather a pulmonary embolism.

We will know soon enough. But either speculation is off limits - including unfounded claims of a heart attack - or it is acceptable. Either way, the claims of a heart attack should not be carried unquestioned, because neither a heart attack nor resuscitation attempts explain the blood splatter which the Thai Police has already confirmed.

Shane was a heavy drinker and smoker as well. Recently he had been experiencing chest pains and problems with his asthma. On top of that he seemed obsessed with his appearance always doing something to achieve that perfect look. He had also been on a liquid diet only consuming beverages and water for a good many weeks to become slimmer. Sadly all these things combined his body just seemed to give up. We all want to appear good but not at the expense of taking such high risks like living on water or fruit drinks for weeks when we have other health problems too.

He actually wasn't a heavy drinker. He was a 35 year smoker of 20 cigarettes per day and he had a terrible diet, but he wasn't obese. And he didn't use cocaine, unlike many Australian football and cricket stars.

As you have touched on, Warne always took shortcuts to try to improve his appearance. Crash diets. Facelifts. Hair transplants. He claimed that when he tested positive for a notorious masking agent for anabolic steroids when he had a torn shoulder muscle just before the 2003 World Cup that he hadn't taken it to conceal steroid repair of his injury but rather as a diet pill to make himself look thinner.

Your body will age quicker if you smoke for 35 years and eat rubbish. And he seems to have been trying the sort of crash diet that Gazza and Maradona used to use, which a 50+ year old body simply may not be able to handle.

I think we need to be extremely careful about Warne's cause of death. There are multiple mentions of a "heart attack" in this thread without any supporting evidence.

It's generally the case when a celebrity dies suddenly of natural causes that the initially claimed cause of death is not based upon actual medical assessment but the claims of family, friends or managers.

(The most notorious example was the tainted American sprinter Florence Griffith-Joyner. Her late career speed increases and physical changes were such that she was widely suspected of steroid abuse, and when she died aged 38 her management put out the absurd - yet widely accepted - claim that she had died of a "heart seizure", a fictional condition. When her final cause of death was released it had somehow become an epileptic seizure even though she had no history of treatment for epilepsy.)

Warne has almost certainly died of natural causes. But every other doctor I have spoken too thinks the same as me - sudden death after a long-haul flight with blood splattered around the bed is not suggestive of a heart attack but rather a pulmonary embolism.

We will know soon enough. But either speculation is off limits - including unfounded claims of a heart attack - or it is acceptable. Either way, the claims of a heart attack should not be carried unquestioned, because neither a heart attack nor resuscitation attempts explain the blood splatter which the Thai Police has already confirmed.

Have you read the articles posted in this thread?

A friend of Shane Warne has revealed what transpired in the hours before the cricketing great died of a suspected heart attack on Friday.

Key points:
Tom Hall was in Thailand with Shane Warne
He said the group watched the Australia-Pakistan Test together the night before Warne died
Revealing Warne's last meal, Hall said Warne was 'Australian through and through'
Tom Hall was staying with Warne and others at the Samujan resort on the island of Koh Samui when the 52-year-old cricket legend died.

Hall, the CEO of The Sporting News (TSN) website, had recently brought Warne on as an adviser having met him at a charity poker match 15 years ago.

Writing on the TSN website, Hall said the night had started normally, as the group spoke about sport and tried to find a way to watch the Australia and Pakistan Test match on television.

"A few balls into the Test, Warney jumps up and says, 'Mate, I bought you a present,' and rushes off excitedly to his room," Hall wrote.

"He came back with an armful of clothes looking like he had been at a yard sale.

"He presented me with his jumper from the 2005 Ashes Test, his 2008 IPL shirt and a one-day international shirt and cap to place in the TSN offices in Australia and the UK. Amazing gifts I knew the teams would love and cherish."

'An Australian through and through'

As the discussion continued around Warne's exploits on the field as well as poker, golf, and an upcoming trip to Mexico, Hall said the group decided to grab a bite to eat, with Warne picking a typically Australian meal, having reportedly been on a juice-only fast in the lead-up to the trip.

"I have dined with Shane in many fine establishments, but rather than sample some of the local Thai fare, we tuck into a plate of Vegemite on toast," Hall said.

"Shane chomping away: 'Geez, you can’t beat Vegemite with some butter, always great wherever you are in the world.'

"An Australian through and through — this was to turn out to be his last meal. Ever the caring father, as I was leaving, he headed up to his bedroom to call his kids."

It was the last time the group saw Warne alive.

Warne complained of chest pains to a friend

Hall said he was unaware of Warne having heart issues, but said the cricketer had complained of chest pains to a friend.

"None of us here are aware of Shane having visited a doctor, though he had complained to a friend of some chest pains and shortness of breath," Hall said.

"He knew he was a bit overweight and was getting back into training harder.

"His travel companions from Australia did everything they could, the local ambulance crews got there fast. There were no unusual circumstances."

Thai doctors were set to do an autopsy yesterday, while Warne's family has accepted an offer of a state funeral.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-07/tom-hall-reveals-final-night-with-shane-warne/100887734

Have you read the articles posted in this thread?

Yes I have, and like in the Australian media there is not a single credible source to back up claims of a “heart attack”.

That claim was made by his friend Andrew N and repeated by his manager. Neither has any medical training.

There is no ECG to support it, no evidence of any description. There is mention that he had had chest pains, but they would also be consistent with a pulmonary embolism - as would the blood found at the site of death.

It might turn out to be a heart attack, albeit at an unusually young age. But at this stage that is nothing more than a speculative guess by his friend.

Yet the media is reporting it as if it is the diagnosis until proven otherwise, and as if anyone suggesting anything different is crossing a line of decency that heart attack claims somehow do not cross.

He actually wasn't a heavy drinker. He was a 35 year smoker of 20 cigarettes per day and he had a terrible diet, but he wasn't obese. And he didn't use cocaine, unlike many Australian football and cricket stars.

As you have touched on, Warne always took shortcuts to try to improve his appearance. Crash diets. Facelifts. Hair transplants. He claimed that when he tested positive for a notorious masking agent for anabolic steroids when he had a torn shoulder muscle just before the 2003 World Cup that he hadn't taken it to conceal steroid repair of his injury but rather as a diet pill to make himself look thinner.

Your body will age quicker if you smoke for 35 years and eat rubbish. And he seems to have been trying the sort of crash diet that Gazza and Maradona used to use, which a 50+ year old body simply may not be able to handle.

OT but out of curiosity which Australian cricketers did use cocaine?

Shane Warne death: Thai police say autopsy shows cricket great died of natural causes

Shane Warne’s autopsy shows the cricket great died of natural causes, Thai police say, as his family issued a statement saying they would accept the offer of a state memorial.

Thai police spokesperson Kritsana Pattanacharoen said on Monday afternoon the autopsy report had been received and it concluded Warne had a “natural death”.

Police have informed his family and the Australian embassy, and will provide the report to the prosecutor to close the case.

The Australian ambassador thanked the Thai police and the related department for the investigation into the 52-year-old’s death on Friday.

Warne’s parents on Monday evening said the past few days had been a “never-ending nightmare”.

“To find words to adequately express our sadness is an impossible task for us and looking to a future without Shane is inconceivable,” Keith and Brigitte Warne said.

“Hopefully the mountain of happy memories we all have will help us cope with our ongoing grief.”

Children pay tribute
Warne’s son Jackson said he didn’t think anything would fill the void his father had left behind.

“I love you so much,” he said. “Sitting at the poker table, walking around the golf course, watching the Saints and eating pizza is never going to be the same.”

His daughter Brooke said she would forever cherish her final memories with her father “laughing and joking around”.

“We were happy. We were so similar in so many ways and I always used to joke that I got your genes and about how much that annoyed me,” she said. “Well, now I
couldn’t be happier and prouder that I have your genes.”

Warne’s younger daughter Summer said: “Our time was robbed. I want more holidays with you, more laughs where your smile lights up the whole room.”

‘No suspicious circumstances’
Lt Gen Surachate Hakparn, an adviser of the Royal Thai Police, said on Monday afternoon Warne had visited Koh Samui three times since 2017 before his fourth trip last week.

From the official investigation, there were no signs of fighting or of assets being stolen, Hakparn said. There were “no suspicious circumstances.”

He said Warne’s body would be taken to Bangkok on Monday night by road and then flown to Australia on Tuesday.

‘Just a cricket fan’
Earlier on Monday, a German woman had been questioned by Thai police after she had entered the back of the ambulance transporting Warne’s body off Koh Samui island.

Warne’s body was on Sunday taken from Koh Samui by ferry to Surat Thani on the mainland and to a local hospital where the official autopsy was conducted.

Warne’s body was accompanied by his friends, as well as the Australian ambassador to Thailand, Allan McKinnon, and Dfat officials, but they were not with the van when it was parked on the car ferry, the ABC reported.

ABC video footage showed a blond woman accompanied by a Thai woman talking to local immigration officials by the car ferry.

The pair was then escorted to the ambulance parked on the ferry where the blond woman approached the driver’s window holding flowers. They had a brief exchange before he escorted her to the other side of the van and allowed her to enter for less than a minute.

The woman attended the local police station on Monday morning.

Hakparn said after an investigation, police determined the woman was “just a cricket fan”. “She was sad that he died here,” he said. “She just wanted to put down the flowers and honour him.”

The woman, who lives in Koh Samui, was not charged because she was not deemed to be a threat, Hakparn said, adding the incident was a security breach. She didn’t know Warne personally.

McKinnon, the Australian ambassador, on Monday afternoon thanked Thai police for conducting their investigation into Warne’s death “smoothly and professionally”.

Warne was found unresponsive in his villa about 5.15pm on Friday after he did not arrive for dinner with friends as scheduled.

One of the paramedics called to the scene on Friday described how Warne’s friends desperately tried to revive him by applying CPR.

The Australian cricket great was later pronounced dead at the local hospital, with Bo Phut police confirming his death shortly afterwards.

Bo Phut police station superintendent Yuttana Sirisombat has said Warne had been suffering chest pains before arriving in Thailand. He also had asthma and had seen a doctor about his heart.

Warne visited a local tailor before his death. Parsuram Panday said on Monday that the ex-cricketer was “happy and playful” when he saw him for the first time in two years due to the Covid pandemic.

“His body looked the same, he’s a sportsman, he looked fresh,” Panday told Guardian Australia.

“He was funny. He played belly punching with me. He was a nice man. He smoked. He didn’t smoke before but this time I saw him smoking. I don’t know what happened to him. I don’t know. He looked strong. I heard it was a heart attack.”

The tailor said he was due to have a fitting with Warne at his villa on Saturday but would now “drop his suit to the hotel”.

Last meal was Vegemite on toast
The Sporting News chief executive, Tom Hall, has revealed Warne’s last meal was a plate of Vegemite toast shared with a friend at the Thailand resort where he died hours later.

“I have dined with Shane in many fine establishments, but rather than sample some of the local Thai fare, we tuck into a plate of Vegemite on toast,” Hall wrote in an article on the outlet’s website.

“Shane chomping away: ‘Geez, you can’t beat Vegemite with some butter, always great wherever you are in the world’. An Australian through and through – this was to turn out to be his last meal.”

Warne’s death is believed to have been caused by a heart attack.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ter-climbing-into-ambulance-transporting-body

I have no problem if Gavaskar thinks Murali or whoever is a better spinner, but the timing of his comments is a disgrace: around 20-30 minutes after the news first broke.

Shane Warne’s three children — Jackson, Summer and Brooke — have issued heartfelt individual statements on their dad following his shock death over the weekend.

The 52-year-old died of a suspected heart attack on March 4 at a luxury resort villa in Thailand where he was staying with three friends on Friday night.

Those that were with him attempted to conduct CPR after finding him unresponsive and called an ambulance.

As Australians, and the global cricket community reel from the shock news of Warne’s death — his family have spoken out in detail for the first time about the devastating news.

Here are the statements from his three children in full.

Jackson Warne

To my brother, my best friend, to my Dad, I love you so much. I don’t think anything is ever going to fill the void you have left in my heart. Sitting at the poker table, walking around the golf course, watching the Saints and eating pizza is never going to be the same.

But I know all you ever wanted for me is to be happy, no matter what. You just wanted me to be happy, that’s it. So that’s what I’m going to do, try and be happy.

I am going to miss you so much Dad and you were truly the best father and mate anyone could’ve asked for. I love you so much Dad, see you soon.

Summer Warne

Dad, I miss you so much already. I wish I could’ve hugged you tighter in what I didn’t know were my final moments with you.

And your final breaths were only moments away. I wish I could’ve told you that everything was going to be okay and hold your hand. You are the best Dad someone could ever ask for.

Our time was robbed. I want more holidays with you, more laughs where your smile lights up the whole room, more “goodnight I love you SJ, I’ll see you in the morning”, more talks about how our days were and just to feel safe when you would hug me and you would let me know how proud you are of me and how much you love me.

You haven’t died Dad, you’ve just moved to a different place, and that is in our hearts. ️I love you forever, until we meet again.

Brooke Warne

Dad, this doesn’t feel real and doesn’t make sense that you are not here with us anymore. It doesn’t feel right, you were taken away too soon and life is so cruel. I will forever cherish our final memories together laughing and joking around with each other.

We were happy. We were so similar in so many ways and I always used to joke that I got your genes and about how much that annoyed me!!

Well now I couldn’t be happier and prouder that I have your genes. I am lucky and will forever be so proud to call you my Dad forever. I love you to infinity and back and I will miss you forever.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...e/news-story/c3564d57395cb6e796299bde9f8b3f1e

RIP to a legendary sportsman. Warney was a childhood inspiration for me. I have fond memories of Ashes 2005 where us kids going to the park and summer cricket camps were in sheer awe of his artistry. I couldn’t tell you how many hours I spent in the park and in the garden trying to play like him. I got back into cricket in my 20’s and I studied footage, super slow mos and every tutorial he ever put out trying to learn the same again. He was a truly unique talent and the best cricketer I’ve ever seen in my lifetime.

A cricketer that entertained and dazzled, while giving sport and the world so much in and out of his playing career. The best of cricket minds and an outstanding commentator/pundit. Someone who inspired so many to take up the sport. A shocking loss.

Life is too damn short. We’ll be gone before we know it. Live and love and forget worrying about all that isn’t important.

Gavaskar is always talking crap but the host deserves some criticism as well.

It was not the right time to discuss/ask if Warne is the greatest spinner of all time or not.

I have no problem if Gavaskar thinks Murali or whoever is a better spinner, but the timing of his comments is a disgrace: around 20-30 minutes after the news first broke.

Yes, completely agree.

Really disrespectful from Gavaskar.

It was not the right time to discuss/ask if Warne is the greatest spinner of all time or not.

Also agreed.

My dad and members of his generation are massive fans of Gavaskar. They seem to think he is a gentleman and praise him as being a bit of a statesmen.

On the contrary I have found him to always be boorish, aloof and biased.

Perhaps he hasn't aged well.

He was known to be biased esp towards Bombay lobby, Sachin-Kapil were the unbiased ones(among Indian Goats) that helped Indian cricket team.

Last edited:
Warne was excellent and and a great cricketing mind RIP, and even Indian fans across have criticized Gavaskar who never was respected for his views by most Indian fans.

This is why Sachin will always remain the greatest out of Mumbai and not Gavaskar.

This thread is about Shane Warne. Thanks

Gavaskar's apology

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 55.000%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/tzmu5v" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Last edited by a moderator:
Gavaskar's apology

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 55.000%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/tzmu5v" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Good on him, but doesn’t seem sincere enough.

Warne's legacy will live for ever.

He reinvented leg-spin, he made it cool to be a leg-spinner. He made leg-spin a must for every captain.

Australia cricket legend, Shane Warne, dies aged 52 of ‘suspected heart attack’

Awww .. Ponting breaks down in tears for his mate.

This is such a painful sight, seeing Ponting cry. However, the outpour of emotions is fully justified and understandable. Even I can't get over a sense of numbness over his sudden death. The World Cup Final of 1999 was one match which I had never watched the highlights of, and it was a match which actually made me cry back then at the age of under nine. However, just to go through some of his most precious performances, I watched its highlights and also those of the Semi-Finals from the 1996 and 1999 editions respectively. What a champion we`ve lost!

A pretty weak apology all things considered.

It was done to get clicks....we know how the media works!

Sunil Gavaskar has apologised for saying that, in his opinion, “the Indian spinners and Muttiah Muralitharan are better than Shane Warne”, while paying tribute to the great Australia leg-spinner, who died aged 52 on Friday, March 4.

Warne’s death sent the cricket world into shock and mourning, with tributes pouring in for a player many consider to be among the greatest to have ever played the game. Warne was named one of the Wisden Almanack’s Five Cricketers of the 20th Century, and was the only active player to receive the accolade. He ended his career with seven Ashes triumphs and a Cricket World Cup win to his name. Only Sri Lanka’s Muralitharan has taken more Test wickets, 800 to Warne’s tally of 708.

However, Gavaskar, speaking to India Today, suggested that not just Murali, but several unnamed India spinners were above Warne in the pantheon. “No, I wouldn’t say that [Warne was the greatest]. For me the Indian spinners and Muttiah Muralitharan were better than Shane Warne,” he said.

Gavaskar’s reasoning was based on Warne’s lack of success against India, with the leggie averaging 47.18 against them from 14 Tests. Against every other opposition, Warne averaged less than 30.

For comparison, Muralitharan averaged 32.61 against India, with his worst record coming against Australia, taking his wickets at 36.06 apiece against the one team Warne didn’t have to bowl against.

Inspired by

“Look at Shane Warne’s record against India,” Gavaskar said. “It was pretty ordinary. In India, he got five wickets only once in Nagpur, and that too because Zaheer Khan swung wildly against him to give him a five-for. Because he did not have much success against Indian players who were very good players of spin, I don’t think I would call him the greatest. Muttiah Muralitharan with a greater success he had against India, I would rank him over Warne in my book.”

Gavaskar did not discuss which Indian spinners he felt were better than Warne.
There was outcry over Gavaskar’s comments, with several outlets publishing articles collating criticism of one of India’s greatest batters. Gavaskar has since posted a video on Instagram apologising for the timing, though not the content, of what he said.

“Last week was a very traumatic time for the cricketing fraternity, as in the space of 24 hours, we lost two of the most iconic cricketers that the game has seen: Rodney Marsh and Shane Warne,” Gavaskar said. “On TV I was asked by an anchor whether Warne was the greatest spinner ever, and I gave my honest, personal opinion. In hindsight, that question shouldn’t have been asked, nor should it have been answered, because that was not the time for any comparison or critical evaluation. Warne was one of the greatest cricketers to have ever graced the game. Rodney Marsh too was one of the greatest wicketkeepers that the game has seen. May their souls rest in eternal peace.”

He was overly concerned about his appearance that can be problematic like going on strange diets. I would like to think he discussed his chest pains and asthma with his doctor who advised him wisely. All these pills and steroids do not help anyone although very healthy people are equally vulnerable to heart attacks too. It is just one of those things that happens.

I do feel that he would have still been with us had he lived more naturally. Shane should have gone on a natural diet but he was a known womanizer who wanted to impress the pretty ladies doing all sorts of things to do just that. Now that I know he was a heavy smoker it certainly didn't help the ageing process.

On another note some months back i purchased his scent that has been a massive hit:ssa2

Responding to Post198 I don't understand why Sunny bhai should have to apologize for saying Murali was better then Shane when many like me agree with him. It is stupid to expect everyone to say Shane was the best spinner ever just because he has passed away.

Last edited:

I hav always found Gavaskar as a commentator completely abhorring and have mentioned it a few times on this forum. He was a great batsman but a very shallow and small human being whose life revolves around stats. I am sure he would have a stat of how many times he went to washroom in Mohali on day 1 because that's all that matters to him. I hav no clue what people find good about his commentary but i watch it with my tv mute.

Given that we´re discussing the career of someone after his death, it doesn´t feel right to be discussing comparisons here, of course. However, besides the occasion chosen for the comment to be made, the thing is that Warne´s greatness, legacy, and his status as one of the all-time greats lies way beyond stats. Warne was much more than just the simple reading of his numbers. Yes, the coming generations might indeed pass on their judgments solely based on the stats, having not had the fortune of watching him play, but Gavaskar being someone who actually watched live the great man bowl, I didn´t expect him to rate Warne purely based on stats. Numbers have never been the point when it comes to Warne. It´s much more than that, and those who watched him play for Australia would know this.

It's not about if he should apologise for saying Murali was a better spinner, it's about mentioning that while others are eulogising a man that has passed away.

It's crass and not needed.

Responding to Post198 I don't understand why Sunny bhai should have to apologize for saying Murali was better then Shane when many like me agree with him. It is stupid to expect everyone to say Shane was the best spinner ever just because he has passed away.

The issue is not the opinion, but the timing.

Sunny was asked who he thought was better between Shane and Murali. He answered honestly.

Had he left at saying murali was better than Warne, then that would have been fine. However , he started talking about Warne has a miserable record in India and he was lucky to get a fiver, all that was condescending and shameful. It was not a tv debate on who was the better spinner, it was a discussion around Warne passing away and so while interviewer was an idiot to ask that, gavaskar should have shown some semblance of grace and context.

Sunny was asked who he thought was better between Shane and Murali. He answered honestly.

The guy had not long passed away unexpectedly and hes talking about how he poor he was against india and only got one fiver etc

The timings disrespectful Imagine his family watching that?

I am a great admirer of Gavaskar as a batsman.

Right at the end of his career, he made a magnificent 96 in his final Test innings, v Pakistan on a minefield at Bangalore, when the next highest score was Azharuddin's 26. And then, in his penultimate ODI, at the 1987 World Cup, he made an astonishing 103 off 88 balls to lead India to a 9 wicket win over a New Zealand team which had scored 221-9 in 50 overs on a difficult pitch.

Gavaskar was a truly great batsman, but he has a thoroughly obnoxious personality, and his twattery has often showed itself. This is the man who, faced with a bad LBW decision in Australia, made his opening partner Chetan Chauhan walk off the pitch with him!

I wouldn't expect Gavaskar to show decency or respect to anyone, let alone someone superior to him in cricket's Pantheon like Shane Warne, because he has reached the age of 72 without showing any evidence of being able to behave with decency or grace.

43 wickets in 12 test matches. Thats not such a bad record against the best spin playing team in the world.

The timing of it was unnecessary. I take his opinion as a pinch of salt as he also stated the Indian spinners were better than Warne! Lol Lol. Clearly there's a hint of bitterness.

[MENTION=151127]Manunited18[/MENTION], [MENTION=21715]Zaz[/MENTION] and [MENTION=147130]happydavy[/MENTION]

Sunny did not say anything to undermine or respective Warny. Even to point out his poor record against India was in no mean humiliating at all. It could be that Bishen Bedi, Chandrasekar and co were better then Warny. All this criticism of Sunny over an honest opinion is uncalled for. Don't ask for his opinion if you only want Warny to be praised.

[MENTION=151127]Manunited18[/MENTION], [MENTION=21715]Zaz[/MENTION] and [MENTION=147130]happydavy[/MENTION]

Sunny did not say anything to undermine or respective Warny. Even to point out his poor record against India was in no mean humiliating at all. It could be that Bishen Bedi, Chandrasekar and co were better then Warny. All this criticism of Sunny over an honest opinion is uncalled for. Don't ask for his opinion if you only want Warny to be praised.

Weather murli was better than Warne or not is debatable. (For me warne was better), do you really think Indian spinners were better than Warne? For everything warne did for the sport, his input and much more. I find it hilarious that you can consider any Indian spinner even remotely close to warnes ability.

I watched the great Indian spinners.

Prasanna was superb, about the same quality as Graeme Swann.

Bedi was metronomic, a slight upgrade on Monty Panesar.

Chandrasekhar was a fairly good leg-spinner, roughly the same quality as Intikhab Alam or Kaneria or Kumble, nowhere near as good as Mushtaq Ahmed.

Venkat was a reasonably good off-spinner, roughly the same as Nathan Lyon and slightly better than Moeen Ali.

Weather murli was better than Warne or not is debatable. (For me warne was better), do you really think Indian spinners were better than Warne? For everything warne did for the sport, his input and much more. I find it hilarious that you can consider any Indian spinner even remotely close to warnes ability.

Warny was the second best ever. What I am saying is if Sunny considers Murali or any Indian spinner to be better then Warny then that is his opinion. Sunny was a world class opener who opinion deserves to be respected. What exactly did Warny do for Cricket that other greats didn't??

Sunny would have played Warny with complete ease. He would have controlled him rather easily.

Cricket legend Shane Warne's state memorial will be held at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on March 30, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has announced.

Key points:

The MCG will host Warne's memorial service on Wednesday, March 30
Fans will be able to buy tickets to attend or watch online
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews says "there's nowhere in the world more appropriate" to farewell Warne
Warne died of a suspected heart attack at the age of 52 on the island of Koh Samui in Thailand last Friday.

His body is expected to be flown home to his family from Bangkok's Don Mueang Airport at 8am on Thursday, local time.

Mr Andrews took to Twitter to announce that the MCG would be the venue for the memorial service on Wednesday, March 30.

He said that information and tickets for the public would be available soon as Victorians had the chance to "pay tribute to Shane and his contribution [to] our state, and [to] his sport".

"There's nowhere in the world more appropriate to farewell Warnie than the 'G'," Mr Andrews wrote.

Experts sound alarm on extreme dieting

Fluid-only crash diets like that undertaken by Shane Warne can put strain on the heart, with the danger not ending after normal eating is resumed, experts say.

Warne was born in the Melbourne suburb of Upper Ferntree Gully and played 17 seasons for the Victorian state team, in addition to his 145 Test matches and 194 ODIs for Australia.

He also played at local level for St Kilda Cricket Club and was a passionate supporter of St Kilda in the AFL.

Warne was on holiday with friends at a health retreat last week when he was found unresponsive in his Koh Samui villa.

Thailand police announced on Monday that Warne's death was from a suspected heart attack, with no suspicious circumstances.

Warne's family members said they "gratefully accepted" the offer of a state funeral by Mr Andrews.

His parents, Keith and Brigitte Warne, said in a statement that a future without their son is "inconceivable" and "a tragedy we will never come to terms with".

The state memorial will be in addition to a private funeral held by the Warne family.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03...neral-at-mcg-premier-daniel-andrews/100896888

Last edited by a moderator:
Warny was the second best ever. What I am saying is if Sunny considers Murali or any Indian spinner to be better then Warny then that is his opinion. Sunny was a world class opener who opinion deserves to be respected. What exactly did Warny do for Cricket that other greats didn't??

I dont think you understand at all, Warne had just died Good or bad you respect someone who has just died n talk of them in glowing terms

What you dont do is discuss how poor he was against india which spinners are better how he took only one fiver when the guy had just died

Nobody else has talked like this This alone should tell you the timings totally wrong by gavasker

The debate of how good or poor he was sholdve been left for another day down the line

Gavasker was totally off the mark here so soon after shanes death

Btw Warne did a lot more for spin and particularly legspin than anybody in history Hes a legend of the game His stats only tell part of the story The impact he has had his much wider than the wkts he took

Even his parents outlived him. :(

RIP Shane.

I dont think you understand at all, Warne had just died Good or bad you respect someone who has just died n talk of them in glowing terms

What you dont do is discuss how poor he was against india which spinners are better how he took only one fiver when the guy had just died

Nobody else has talked like this This alone should tell you the timings totally wrong by gavasker

The debate of how good or poor he was sholdve been left for another day down the line

Gavasker was totally off the mark here so soon after shanes death

Btw Warne did a lot more for spin and particularly legspin than anybody in history Hes a legend of the game His stats only tell part of the story The impact he has had his much wider than the wkts he took

I understand perfectly well. No you don't have to exaggerate about the deceased person by giving them an outstanding reference. Sunny did not bad mouth Warny which is good enough for me. All he did was say Murali was better then him as a cricketer. Nobody may have said what Sunny did but many probably that it too.

Basically you are saying that Sunny should have lied about Warny's ability as a cricketer for the sake of political correctness. No need to ask every great cricketer what they thought of Warny by forcing a microphone down their throat if they are so sensitive. Sunny did not say that Warne was not a great bowler just that in his opinion he was not the best.

David Warner is still coming to terms with the death of his idol Shane Warne and is planning to attend the Australian legend's memorial service in Melbourne.

The 35-year-old, like many, thought news of Warne's shock passing was a hoax when he first heard it after play on the second day of Australia's Test against Pakistan on Friday.

But Warner is determined to rush back to Australia after the three-Test series finishes on March 25 and pay tribute to Warne.

The explosive left-hander had already opted to sit out Australia's white-ball series against Pakistan ahead of playing in the Indian Premier League.

After Warne's family holds a private funeral, a celebration of his colourful life will be held on March 30, with the MCG sure to be packed out for the farewell.

"It really didn't sink in at all and still hasn't," Warner said on Thursday.

"I had his poster on my wall as a kid, I wanted be like Shane and I started my career bowling leg-spin and batting middle-order.

"We idolised him.

"He's always stuck by me, and every time I've engaged with him in any way he's always asked me to come for a beer, come to dinner, and wanted to give advice and help.

"He's going to be dearly missed.

"I'll be trying to get down there (for the memorial service)."

Australia's greatest cricketer since Sir Donald Bradman, Warne remained heavily involved in the sport during the 15 years after his retirement from Test cricket in 2007.

Aside from being a prominent commentator, the lovable larrikin casually offered his experience and wisdom to the Australian team.

One of Warner's favourites memories of his childhood hero was during a tour of South Africa in 2014 when Warne came on board as a spin consultant.

Warne was captured by TV cameras asleep in the dressing rooms during play as Australia batted in the third Test, with Warner sitting next to him laughing hysterically.

"We didn't know where he was and we were about to leave for the ground on the bus and out rocks Warnie from the doors of the hotel, still buttering his peanut butter toast," Warner said.

Warne's body was transported back from Thailand, where he died, to Melbourne on Thursday after autopsy results showed his death was due to natural causes.

https://7news.com.au/sport/cricket/warner-wants-to-attend-warnes-funeral-c-6006429

Shane Warne's Body Returns Home To Australia

A private jet flew the body of Australian cricket superstar Shane Warne home to his native Melbourne Thursday, six days after his death at the age of 52 provoked shock and grief around the world.

A private jet flew the body of Australian cricket superstar Shane Warne home to his native Melbourne Thursday, six days after his death at the age of 52 provoked shock and grief around the world. Carrying the cricketing great's coffin wrapped in an Australian flag, a chartered Dassault Falcon 7X jet landed in the evening at Melbourne's Essendon North airport after an eight-hour flight from Bangkok. His family is reportedly organising a private memorial. Warne, adored by fans as the "king of spin" who bamboozled opposing batters, will be honoured with a state memorial at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on March 30, with tickets open to the public.

The sporting legend's body was found on March 4 at a luxury resort villa on the Thai island of Koh Samui. He was rushed to the Thai International Hospital Samui but despite medical efforts could not be revived.

An autopsy confirmed he had died of natural causes following a suspected heart attack.

Thai police reported that Warne's father said the player had been suffering "chest pains" and had planned to return home for a check-up after the trip.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews announced the state memorial as a tribute to a larger-than-life man who has been a reference point in his home country for the past 30 years.

"There's nowhere in the world more appropriate to farewell Warnie than the 'G'," Andrews said.

Warne has been a big part of Australian life from his 1992 Test debut against India to his incisive commentary, now as much a part of the summer's soundscape as kids laughing on the beach or the click of bat on ball.

In the time in between, he captured the imagination of countless backyard cricketers and set the sporting world on fire.

Credited with reviving the art of leg-spin, Warne was part of a dominant Australian Test team in the 1990s and 2000s and helped his country win the 1999 limited-overs World Cup.

- 'Inconceivable' -
Warne "didn't just inspire a cricketing generation -- he defined it", said a statement by the Victoria government.

Warne's family have released messages expressing their love and grief.

"To find words to adequately express our sadness is an impossible task for us and looking to a future without Shane is inconceivable," parents Keith and Brigitte Warne said in a statement this week.

"I miss you so much already," said daughter Summer Warne. "I wish I could've hugged you tighter in what I didn't know were my final moments with you."

"I wish I could've told you that everything was going to be OK and hold your hand."

Son Jackson Warne reminisced about playing golf and poker, and watching Australian rules football while eating pizza with someone he saw as a brother and best friend, as well as a father.

"I love you so much. I don't think anything is ever going to fill the void you have left in my heart," he said in a statement.

"You were truly the best father and mate anyone could've asked for. I love you so much Dad, see you soon."

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison led tributes to one of the country's "greatest characters".

Over the weekend fans paid homage to Warne at his statue outside the Melbourne Cricket Ground -- including offerings of cigarettes, beer and meat pies -- to remember an extraordinary cricketing talent with a huge appetite for life.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/shane-warnes-body-returns-home-to-australia-2815088

Almost a week after his sudden death at the age of 52, Shane Warne’s body has arrived back in Australia.

A private jet carrying the Australian cricket legend’s body touched down at Essendon Fields Airport in Melbourne at about 8.30pm on Thursday night.

The charter flight was moved into a private hangar.

Earlier, the first pictures of Warne’s coffin emerged as his body was transported to Don Mueang Airport in Bangkok on Thursday morning ahead of his return home.

His coffin was seen draped in an Australian flag as it was moved onto a private flight ahead of his return home to Australian soil.

The moving spectacle of seeing Warne’s body decorated in the Australian flag was a fitting tribute to the cricket legend who took 708 test wickets for his country and played in 145 tests for the baggy green.

Warne’s body underwent an autopsy at Bangkok Police Station’s mortuary, where it was confirmed by police that he died of natural causes — a suspected heart attack.

Warne’s state funeral will take place on March 30, after a private family service is expected to be held towards the end of next week.

Discussions into the service’s organisation have begun, with immediate plans on hold until Warne’s body is back on Australian soil.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews previously said the public service would be an opportunity for the state to pay tribute to one of its biggest sporting icons.

“It will be an opportunity for Victorians to pay tribute to his contribution to his sport, to our state and the country,” he said.

The MCG’s Great Southern Stand will be renamed the S.K. Warne Stand in the spin king’s honour.

“I’ve just informed the Warne family that the government will rename the Great Southern Stand at the MCG — the place he took his hat-trick and 700th wicket — to honour Shane and his contribution to the game,” Mr Andrews said when he made the announcement.

“The S.K. Warne Stand will be a permanent tribute to an amazing Victorian.”

Warne was staying in a private villa with three friends, including one who performed CPR after finding him unresponsive when he did not show up for dinner.

Police Colonel Yuthana Sirisombat, director of Bo Phut Provincial Police Station in Koh Samui, said Warne had experienced chest pains before his trip to Thailand.

Citing interviews with family, he revealed Warne had a history of heart disease and asthma.

Warne’s family have revealed he had been suffering with heart troubles and asthma in the weeks leading up to his death, and had also completed a 14-day liquid only diet.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...a/news-story/51f1c30207dc9dab4732c72854538030

It has now been a number of days into the tragedy, but I still haven´t been able to come to terms with the bitter fact that Warne is no more. Right now, myself, my brother, and my father, we´re discussing the great man´s legacy, even days after his demise. I even paid a five-day tribute to him from all of my active social media accounts, posting videos of some of his finest moments and performances, which included the World Cup Final 1999, a match which actually landed me in tears in childhood when Lehmann hit the winning run. As a Pakistani, I never imagined that I would ever be even watching the highlights of that dreadful match.

Miss you already, Warney. How I wish that it was just a bad dream which would be over after I woke up.

A host of former teammates and international stars were among those to farewell Australian great Shane Warne at a small private funeral in Melbourne on Sunday.

Warne tragically died from a heart attack at the age of 52 earlier this month and many former teammates have already passed on their condolences to the champion leg-spinner.

While Warne will be given a full public service at his beloved MCG later this month, approximately 80 of his nearest and dearest friends and family were in Melbourne on Sunday to pay their respect.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan was in attendance, while Australian stars Glenn McGrath, Merv Hughes, Ian Healy and Mark Waugh were among a group of his former teammates also at the private event.

A group of former Australia Test captains also attended with Allan Border, Mark Taylor and Michael Clarke among a group of Warne’s closest friends that paid their respect to the Victorian.

Warne's public service on March 30 is expected to attract at large crowd at the MCG, a venue which Warne made his own over his 15-year international career.

Warne famously claimed his 700th Test wicket at the ground on Boxing Day in 2006 when he dismissed England captain Andrew Strauss and finished his career with 56 Test wickets at the iconic venue.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2542771

Shane Warne’s family and friends have farewelled the cricketing great, remembered as a man who “sprinkled magic dust” wherever he went and always brought his friends along with him.

The private memorial service was held at St Kilda Football Club. Two Saints scarves were laid over the wooden coffin as pallbearers, including Warne’s son Jackson, carried it from the service to a lap of honour around the Moorabbin Oval.

Around 80 of Shane Warne’s family members and closest friends attended a private service to farewell the cricketing great at St Kilda Football Club in Moorabbin. It included a lap of honour

Afterwards, a small party gathered on the ground to stand beside the hearse.

Jackson was joined by his sisters Brooke and Summer, and Warne’s parents Keith and Brigette. The group took turns to lay hands on the wooden coffin in an affectionate goodbye until the hearse was driven away to applause as Tina Turner’s sporting anthem The Best rang out.

Jackson Warne and his grandfather lingered and were the last to step off the grass, walking in an embrace back to the assembled mourners.

Among about 80 people in attendance were Warne’s former cricketing teammates and opponents, including former England captain Michael Vaughan, high-profile media colleagues including Eddie McGuire and Sam Newman, poker friends and those associated with his beloved St Kilda AFL club, including Aaron Hamill and Steven Baker.

Warne died aged 52 of a heart attack on March 4 while holidaying in Koh Samui, Thailand.

McGuire hosted the funeral and delivered the eulogy.

Speaking before the service started on Sunday morning, he said the Warne family had been gratified by the public support.

“Warnie played for the public,” McGuire said, speaking to Nine’s Sunday Footy Show, from the ground.

Shane Warne’s children Brooke, Jackson and Summer, parents Keith and Brigette, and brother Jason accompany his coffin on a lap of honour.

Everyone attending had been given a Saints scarf in memory of Warne, McGuire said.

McGuire said Warne was so loved because he was fallible.

“He was a superman,” McGuire said. “He did the things you dreamt of doing as a kid. He took the hat-trick, he took the 700. He had the Gatting ball. He did the things that we all sort of thought, ‘Wow, wonder what it would be like if you were a playboy in London society.

“He was that sort of person, he brought together so many things, but what was the magic part about Shane Warne is he sprinkled his gold dust everywhere he went. He wasn’t one of these people who then became a hermit and forgot his friends. He brought his friends into everything in life.”

The fact that former England captain Vaughan had flown to Australia to attend the funeral said a lot about Warne, McGuire said.

“He had an amazing charisma that took this Black Rock kid, Black Rock bogan if you like, who would go to three-star Michelin restaurants and order a pizza in, and could walk with kings and the greatest names in world sport but at the same time never forgot those who he walked with around the streets of Melbourne. That’s why everyone loved him and that’s why we’re grieving so badly today.”

Speaking after the service, McGuire said among the tight-knit group inside the memorial, “the tears flowed freely and the laughs rang loudly”.

“It was one of the greatest honours of my life to be able to be involved,” he said. “Anyone who has been through a funeral knows it is a real full stop, it really hits home, and the family carried themselves with great dignity and decorum.

“Their speeches were magnificent and the people who were there just felt keenly for the whole experience – it was as wonderful a send-off as I think I’ve been involved in. It was very much like Shane – there were elements of joviality and levity mixed with dedication, and it was very eloquent.”

Coldplay frontman Chris Martin sent a musical tribute to Warne that was played during the service – an instrumental piece called The Eulogy, which McGuire said was a “unique and original” piece of music for the memorial. Mourners also heard Yellow by Coldplay – a “favourite of Shane’s”, McGuire said, as well as My Way by Frank Sinatra.

“I must admit, watching all the photos of him with family and friends over the years to My Way and to Ed Sheeran was quite emotional for me,” McGuire said.

Outside the Moorabbin Oval, an emotional Sam Newman said Warne’s private memorial was a “beautiful” tribute, and he hoped a public memorial on March 30 would be a “fitting tribute” to the cricketing great.

“It was just a great look at Shane, and the family and his close friends … I don’t know how they did it to be honest, but they held themselves together,” Newman said.

“[The funeral] was about as good as you can get under the circumstances. I hope there’s a hell of a lot of people that come and pay their respects [at the public memorial]. I hope they pack out the MCG – it would be a fitting tribute to a great man.”

St Kilda Football Club supporter Betty Donaldson was among a handful of fans who arrived at the oval on Sunday morning to pay their respects outside.

“I made his first chocolate milkshake at the tearooms down at Ricketts Point when he was 16,” the Moorabbin local said. “He asked me for double ice cream and double chocolate,” she said. “I met him a few other times, he was a really lovely guy.”

Julian Toohey and his daughter Isadora, four, walked from their nearby Moorabbin home to watch the hearse carrying Warne’s body exit St Kilda’s RSEA Park. A St Kilda supporter and cricket tragic, Mr Toohey said he particularly felt for Warne’s three children.

“Shane was a fierce competitor and a great ambassador for Australia, and there’s plenty of stuff that people don’t know about what he’s done for the St Kilda Football Club,” he said.

Actress and model Elizabeth Hurley led the tributes to Warne from overseas on the day of his funeral, saying her “heart aches” that could not be in Melbourne on Sunday.

She shared photos taken of her and Warne in Sri Lanka to celebrate their 2013 engagement, saying it was the “happiest time” because they both had all their children with them.

“I was filming last night and, with the time jump, physically can’t get there,” Ms Hurley said online.

“It still hasn’t really sunk in that he’s gone. It seems too cruel that all the people who loved him will never have another Lion hug, but our memories will live forever.

“RIP Lionheart.”

Warne will be honoured at a state funeral at the MCG on March 30, which will include celebrity friends and at least 50,000 fans.

The event, with McGuire playing a key organising role, will be free, with a public ballot held to secure tickets and seating. The online ticketing system for the public to use is being fine-tuned but cricket officials said on Saturday they expected it to be ready this week, potentially as early as Wednesday.

The number of tickets allocated within the opening 48 hours of availability will provide organisers with a clearer indication of how many staff and resources will be needed for the gathering. Officials expect the event to begin at 7pm.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...-warne-s-private-funeral-20220320-p5a674.html

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 100.000%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/3wbs1b" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Cricket legend Shane Warne was toasted by mourners as his private funeral was held in Melbourne.

The Australian cricketer died suddenly at the age of 52 while on holiday in Thailand.

Please note, there is still no official cause of death for Shane Warne.

The Thai Police have cited “natural causes” and his friends immediately claimed a “heart attack” BEFORE his post-mortem.

But no information about the findings of his post-mortem or formal cause of death has been released into the public domain.

Quite shocking, only came across this now. RIP

More than 50,000 fans are expected to flock to the MCG and farewell Shane Warne at his state memorial service on Wednesday, with the event even prompting breakfast news programs to abandon their traditional coverage from Canberra of the federal budget.

The Melbourne Cricket Club said on Monday that 48,709 free tickets had been allocated as of 5pm, while there is a strong chance that this surpasses 50,000 by late Wednesday.

Please note, there is still no official cause of death for Shane Warne.

The Thai Police have cited “natural causes” and his friends immediately claimed a “heart attack” BEFORE his post-mortem.

But no information about the findings of his post-mortem or formal cause of death has been released into the public domain.

Pretty irrelevant for the general public at this point.

Pretty irrelevant for the general public at this point.

It’s extremely unusual that the cause of death remains a secret.

You can keep it confidential in Australia, but it’s almost unheard of.

It’s extremely unusual that the cause of death remains a secret.

You can keep it confidential in Australia, but it’s almost unheard of.

I think most people are not really interested about digging into this further (or not), they are just sad that Shane is gone.

FPFNB0GaUAArIsh

Some memories

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 178.218%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/xhfica" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Back