[VIDEOS] Australia cricket legend, Shane Warne, dies aged 52 of ‘suspected heart attack’

57080581-5075-450f-94d0-bc6300fb33b5.jpg

Tribute by Warne's father:

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/wyiozc" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Last edited:
Singer Kylie Minogue has said "that light will continue to burn forever" in a video tribute to Shane Warne at his state memorial in Australia.

More than 50,000 spectators are at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), where tributes have heard Warne called an "absolute rockstar" for the way he looked out for other people in his life.

His father, Keith, said his son was "always about putting smiles on people's faces" during a speech at the ground.

The Great Southern Stand will also be named in Warne's honour.

The 52-year-old died of a suspected heart attack on 4 March in Koh Samui, Thailand. An autopsy revealed his death was due to natural causes.

The MCG is the scene of many of Warne's iconic bowling moments, including a hat-trick against England in 1994 and his 700th test wicket on Boxing Day in 2006.

Celebrity guests at the venue are expected to include actors Russell Crowe and Hugh Jackman.

Warne's three children are expected at the memorial along with the cricketer's father, Keith, who will give a speech.

https://news.sky.com/story/thousand...olute-rockstar-cricketer-shane-warne-12578060

Sir Elton John, Ed Sheeran and a host of former cricketers led the tributes to Australian cricketing legend Shane Warne at an emotional memorial service.

The service, held at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, remembered Warne who died suddenly aged 52 this month.

His father, brother and three children all gave moving speeches in front of thousands of people in attendance.

The service ended with the unveiling of the Shane Warne Stand at the MCG by Warne's children.

Elton John performed Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me via video while there were similar musical performances from Ed Sheeran, Robbie Williams and Coldplay's Chris Martin.

Australians Kylie Minogue and Hugh Jackman were among the other celebrities to pay tribute.

Warne's father Keith said the former Australia international packed more into his life "than most people would in two lifetimes".

He added: "Shane said of himself, 'I smoked, I drank, and I played a little cricket'.

"Mate, your mother and I can't imagine a life without you. You have been taken too soon and our hearts are broken."

Warne's daughter Summer said: "It has been exactly 26 days since you went to heaven and I miss you more than anything in the whole world.

"I would do anything just to have one more of your cuddles and to hear your voice tell me how proud of me you were and how much you loved me.

"I know you will be forever watching me and be by my side the whole time."

Warne is regarded as one of the greatest cricketers of all-time, having claimed 708 Test wickets in 145 matches across a stellar 15-year international career.

Former England skipper Nasser Hussain joined Warne's former Australia captains Mark Taylor and Allan Border, plus former West Indies batter Brian Lara and ex-Australia bowler Merv Hughes on stage to pay tribute to the spin bowler.

"Shane, it was an absolute privilege to be with you on a cricket pitch," Hussain said.

At the start of the ceremony the Australian national anthem was sung by Greta Bradman, granddaughter of legendary Australia batter Sir Donald Bradman.

A number of Warne's other Australia team-mates, bowler Glenn McGrath, wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist and ex-captain Steve Waugh, were also in the audience, along with Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

bbc

Last edited:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thank you Shane Warne ❤️ <a href="https://t.co/CahkFjD23a">pic.twitter.com/CahkFjD23a</a></p>— Sky Sports Cricket (@SkyCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkyCricket/status/1532297950596046849?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 2, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Great tribute from Sky to the legend this morning.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Sky Sports commentary box is renamed the 'Shane Warne commentary box' in honour of the late cricketer. <a href="https://t.co/BoSmDANcpo">pic.twitter.com/BoSmDANcpo</a></p>— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1532302006404231169?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 2, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Saturday 4th June at Lord’s:

Will officially be Shane Warne Day.

Saturday 4th June at Lord’s:

Will officially be Shane Warne Day.

Loved Shane Warne but he was a Aussie legend. Do you think the MCC would have a Jimmy Anderson day if the Burney Lara had an untimely death in the future? Obviously hope that does not happen to Jimmy.

Loved Shane Warne but he was a Aussie legend. Do you think the MCC would have a Jimmy Anderson day if the Burney Lara had an untimely death in the future? Obviously hope that does not happen to Jimmy.

Some other considerations. Bear in mind that the lead broadcaster are Sky Sports and Shane was an employee of theirs. He was meant to be in the commentary box with his mates for this match.

I meant to say MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground) not MCC. Anyway I find it a bit strange but there can be no doubt that Warne was a legend of the cricket game.

Sri Lankans will stand to attention in a fitting salute to all-time cricketing great Australian spin wizard Shane Warne when the first Test between Sri Lanka and Australia gets underway on June 29 at the Galle International Stadium. Sri Lanka Cricket’s (SLC’s) noble gesture to dedicate the first Test to the memory of Warne, will indeed be a moving solemn occasion that will kindle stirring memories of Warne who died prematurely at the age of 53 of a heart attack on March 4 this year while holidaying in Thailand.

The Sri Lankan cricket establishment’s gesture is one of recognising Warne as a true friend of Sri Lanka who came to the country’s aid during the 2004 Tsunami devastation by personally flying over and visiting affected areas and making generous donations especially to homeless cricketers families. This writer had the privilege of having a word with the legend on that occasion when he visited the Moratuwa Cricket Stadium where several teenage cricketers were lined up in a guard of honour. He did voice that he was concerned about the welfare of Sri Lankans affected and as much saddened by the devastation of the Galle Stadium.

For Galle was the venue where the Australian great became the first bowler in test cricket history to take 500 wickets. Therein, this June 29 will surely evoke moving memories of Shane Warne, the unrelenting cricketing warrior in the middle who gave no quarter nor asked for any, but who proved to be a true friend to his adversaries off the field in time of distress.

Indeed Warne, by his magnanimous act did signify that the game of cricket transcended beyond the boundaries of competition. It has been recognised by Sri Lanka Cricket by its decision to pay tribute to Warne posthumously by dedicating the Galle test in memory of the great.

Born Shane Keith Warne on September 13, 1969, the Australian went on to turn the art of spin bowling on its head by taking it to a new level. Among his most famous wicket taking deliveries was the arm ball that stood him out. He claimed a record 708 Test wickets from 145 appearances and 293 ODI wickets from 194 games. Warne is also remembered as perhaps the most colourful personality the game has produced by his outgoing approach and his endearing chuckle and big grin.

https://srilankacricket.lk/2022/06/...tting-homage-to-all-time-great-at-galle-test/

To be fair, I wouldn't say Anderson was anywhere near Warne's stature as a player. One is pretty much uniformly recognised as the greatest of his type in world history, and the other probably the best England post-war medium-pace swing bowler.

The only living England player of Warne's stature I can think of is Lord Botham. I think the Aussies will commemorate him in time.

Shane Warne terrorized England for 14 years with no exception. You have to pay respect to your greatest foe.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A wonderful gesture from Sri Lankan Cricket ❤️ <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SLvAUS?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SLvAUS</a> <a href="https://t.co/P2skM7y0xe">pic.twitter.com/P2skM7y0xe</a></p>— cricket.com.au (@cricketcomau) <a href="https://twitter.com/cricketcomau/status/1542002430648655872?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 29, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Plans to dramatise cricketer Shane Warne's life in a telemovie only months after his death are "beyond disrespectful", his eldest daughter says.

Australia's Nine Network - where Warne worked as a commentator for over 20 years - reportedly began work on the project weeks after his death in March.

It says the two-part film, called Warnie, will be a fitting tribute.

But his family and friends say the show is insensitive and want it scrapped.

"Do any of you have any respect for Dad? Or his family? Who did so much for Channel Nine and now you want to dramatise his life and our families (sic) life 6 months after he passed away?" Brooke Warne, 25, wrote on Instagram.

Warne's long-time manager James Erskine has also previously criticised the production.

"He's only been dead for a couple of months and for them to turn this around and think about doing some sensational thing, well they should be ashamed of themselves," Mr Erskine told Melbourne's Herald Sun newspaper in June.

On Thursday a Nine spokesperson told Guardian Australia the mini-series would be a celebration of the life of "a man who lived life large and loved passionately".

"We have enormous respect for Shane and all his achievements, and our hope is all Australians including Warnie's family will feel the programme honours his legacy and life," they said.

Casting details are yet to be announced, but Nine has said the biopic will screen in Australia over two nights in 2023.

Warne died on the Thai resort island of Koh Samui on 4 March, aged 52. He has been remembered as one of the greatest sportspeople of all time.

His mastery of leg spin - a style of bowling that declined during the 1970s and 1980s when fast bowlers dominated - revolutionised cricket.

Warne took 708 Test wickets, the second most of all time, in 145 matches across a 15-year international career.

BBC

Shane Warne Elevated to Legend Status in Sport Australia Hall of FameCricket Australia (CA) congratulates the Warne family upon Shane Warne’s elevation to Legend status in the Sport Australia Hall of Fame.

The elevation of Shane Warne AO and champion distance runner Ron Clarke AO MBE were announced tonight.

Warne was previously inducted in the Sport Australia Hall of Fame as an athlete member in 2009.

The criteria for Legend status in the Sport Australia Hall of Fame states: “Legend status provides an opportunity to celebrate and honour members who have distinguished themselves at the highest level and their achievements are considered part of Australian folklore.”

Nick Hockley, CA Chief Executive Officer said:

“As we continue to mourn Shane’s passing, elevation to Legend status in the Sport Australia Hall of Fame is a fitting and appropriate acknowledgement of his incredible achievements as a player and his impact on cricket throughout the world," he said.

“Shane’s place in the pantheon of great Australian sportspeople is unquestioned and the status of legend sits comfortably with his accomplishments as well as the regard in which he is held by the public.

“Our thoughts continue to be with the Warne family, particularly Shane’s children Jackson, Summer and Brooke, who I am sure will be immensely proud of this latest acknowledgment of their father’s wonderful contribution to cricket and Australian sport.

“On behalf of Australian Cricket, our thanks to Sport Australia Hall of Fame for this recognition of Shane, whose legacy will continue to inspire kids to pick up a bat and ball for generations to come."

Shane Warne's No 23 jersey will be permanently retired by his former Big Bash League side Melbourne Stars as they pay tribute to the late, great leg-spinner.

Warne, who passed away at the age of 52 in March of this year, played for Stars in the first two editions of the Big Bash League, captaining them to the semi-finals in the 2012/13 campaign.

All other Stars players will have the No 23 incorporated into their tops for their first home game of the season at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Friday, against Hobart Hurricanes.

There will also be a standing ovation after the 23rd ball of that match, while one of Warne's playing shirts will be displayed on a plinth with his cap.

SkyCricket

Shane Warne to be honoured at the Boxing Day Test

Australian cricket legend Shane Warne will be honoured at the NRMA Insurance Boxing Day Test with a range of tributes planned for Day 1.

Cricket fans are being encouraged to wear their floppy hat (wide brim) and zinc on Day 1 of the Test, to pay homage to a look that Warne often donned on the field.

Shane had a special affinity to the MCG Boxing Day Test having grown up in Melbourne as a fan watching his heroes, before making his own indelible mark as a player on the hallowed turf with many memorable achievements including his Test hat-trick and 700th Test wicket.

Special tributes to Warne’s incredible achievements and his impact on cricket throughout the world on Day 1 will include:

The Australian and South African teams paying their respects to Warne at the national anthem ceremony, and also wearing a floppy hat at the ceremony;

The ceremony will acknowledge the significance of the MCG in his career and life, with Warne’s floppy hat and a ball featured on a plinth on the teams’ path to the ceremony;

Warne’s Test cap number 350 to be painted square of the wicket for the duration of the Test match;

At 3.50pm on Boxing Day a graphic of Warne will be displayed on the big screen; and

A special highlights package paying tribute to Warne’s outstanding career will also play across the MCG’s screens and on broadcast.
Cricket Australia CEO Nick Hockley commented:

“Shane is an icon to cricket fans globally for the greatness of his cricketing achievements, his charisma and his infectious enthusiasm for the game.

“His place as a legend of Australian and world sport is assured. Whilst we continue to mourn his passing, it is fitting that we honour Shane at his beloved Boxing Day Test at the MCG.

“Shane became recognisable not only through his genius and mastery of the art of leg spin, but also his floppy hat and zinc, so we encourage fans to remember Shane by wearing their own floppy hat and zinc to Day 1 of the Boxing Day Test.

“I know I speak for the whole cricket community in saying that our thoughts continue to be with Shane’s family and friends and particularly his children Brooke, Jackson and Summer.”

CA and ACA rename Men's Test Player of the Year Award to honour Shane Warne

Cricket Australia (CA) and the Australian Cricketers' Association (ACA) have today announced the Men's Test Player of the Year will be renamed the Shane Warne Men's Test Player of the Year at the Australian Cricket Awards on January 30.

Warne played 145 Test matches in a career that spanned from 1992 to 2007 and is Australia's all-time leading wicket-taker in the five-day format. The announcement was made at the NRMA Insurance Boxing Day Test Match as fans paid tribute to the ‘Spin King’ at his beloved MCG.

The Australian Cricket Awards are held on an annual basis to celebrate the performances of Australian players across national and domestic cricket and is headlined by the Allan Border Medal and the Belinda Clark Award.

Cricket Australia CEO Nick Hockley said: “As one of Australia’s all-time greats, it is fitting we acknowledge Shane’s extraordinary contribution to Test cricket by naming this award in his honour in perpetuity.”

“Shane was a proud advocate of Test cricket and you only have to look around at all the fans who came out to the MCG in their floppy hats and zinc on Boxing Day to realise what a profound impact he had on the game.”

“The whole cricket community continues to mourn his loss and our thoughts, as always, are with Shane’s family and friends, particularly his children Brooke, Jackson and Summer.”

Australian Cricket Association CEO, Todd Greenberg said: “I’m proud that the ACA, along with Cricket Australia, is able to recognise the incredible impact Shane had on Test cricket with an award named in his honour.

“While he was a once in a generation player, he was very much a man who understood the important contribution all players made to Australian cricket. He played an important role in the formative years of the ACA and never knocked back an opportunity to promote and grow the game… and once they came, nobody knew how to put on a show quite like Warney – particularly here at the MCG.

“Our thoughts remain with Shane’s family, particularly his children Brooke, Jackson and Summer, and his many, many great friends within cricket.”

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The King will never be forgotten 👑<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AUSvSA?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AUSvSA</a> <a href="https://t.co/tynDnEefZR">pic.twitter.com/tynDnEefZR</a></p>— cricket.com.au (@cricketcomau) <a href="https://twitter.com/cricketcomau/status/1607238758176550913?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 26, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

One year has passed! RIP Shane Warne

Melbourne media personality Eddie McGuire has defended the reported $1.6million price tag for Shane Warne's state funeral, saying the service did more than honour the cricket legend.

The funeral took place at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in March last year, four weeks after Warne died from a heart attack in Thailand.

The two-hour service cost taxpayers more than $1.6m, The Age newspaper reported on Wednesday.

Mr McGuire confirmed his production company JAM TV was allocated $1m to broadcast the service across the country and internationally.

But he defended the price tag, saying it not only honoured Warne but allowed Victorians to mourn.

'In a lot of ways, we saw this as being Victoria's funeral,' Mr McGuire told 3AW on Wednesday.

'I had to bury my mother with 10 people in the room at the funeral and I got great succour out of the fact that we all came together for a collective funeral in the name of our great mate Shane Warne.'

More than 55,000 people attended the free service, which featured remote performances from Elton John, Coldplay's Chris Martin and Robbie Williams.

Former cricketers including Australian captain Allan Border and West Indian great Brian Lara also spoke in a panel at the funeral.

Mr McGuire said the service had to take place at the MCG because the ground's Shane Warne stand needed to be unveiled.

He also said the service promoted Melbourne to the world after years of lockdown.

'It didn't need to have these things done - no but we did because it went around the world,' he said.

'I had executive producers from Hollywood ringing me the next day who I'd never heard of, who just said we saw this, this was incredible.

'We put our heart and soul into this because we loved Shane and we love this city.'

Mr McGuire denied his production company made any profit from the service, saying it instead ran at a loss.

Fans joined the former Collingwood boss in defending the outlay.

'We all got together and had a lovely time remembering him. Money well spent,' wrote one.

'Wonder how much revenue Warnie's appearances brought to the state during his career? Be a lot more than $1.6m,' added another.

'Given he was one of the greatest sportspeople and most famous Victorians of all time who was loved beyond the game itself and internationally that seems like a bargain to me,' added a third fan.

'My first thought was "is that all?" Seems pretty reasonable for an event like that,' Tweeted another supporter.

State funeral venues are selected following consultation with a person's family, with the site often having a special connection to the deceased.

A state government spokeswoman said the service was about honouring a person's outstanding service to Victoria.

'They afford Victorians an opportunity to mourn, celebrate and to recognise extraordinary contributions to our great state,' the spokeswoman said.

Daily Mail

His second death anniversary today.

RIP

RIP!

The fact that he was selected as 1 of the 5 Wisden Cricketers of the Century speaks about his genius.

One of the best spinners to have ever graced the game.

None before or after him.

Back