[VIDEOS] Azeem Ghumman targets an International call up

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Azeem Ghumman made his first-class debut at the age of 16 and, viewed at the time as one of the brightest young talents in the country, went on to lead Pakistan to the final of the 2010 Under-19 World Cup in New Zealand. Four years on, Ghumman has struggled to fulfill the promise of his early career. Whilst his inability to represent Pakistan at the highest level is a cause of concern, it’s easy to forget that Ghumman's still only 22 years-old, an age at which many players have not yet made their first-class debuts. PakPassion.net caught up with the young batsmen to talk about his career to date, his hopes for selection for the upcoming Asian Cricket Council Emerging Teams Cup, domestic cricket and his thoughts on Pakistan-19s chances on their tour of England in August.

Ghumman began by providing an assessment of his early career, with a frankness reminiscent of his time as captain of the Pakistan Under-19s, “I have always believed you should be fair with yourself and others. Prior to the Under-19 World Cup and for a short period after it, I was performing very well and leading well. It was all going smoothly, but after failing to perform when I was appointed captain for the Pakistan A tour of Sri Lanka, I was dropped. The following year I also failed to perform in domestic cricket. I believe that is the only year in which I haven’t been able to perform.” He continues “In the years prior to that - 2008 and 2009 – and in the run-up to the 2010 World Cup, I was playing well and have also in the subsequent years. However, even during my difficult year, coaches around me told me every player goes through bad patches – even the top players who suffer poor form for not only one, but perhaps through two lean years.”

Ghumman indicated that although breaking into the starting eleven for his domestic side had been difficult, when given the opportunity he had been able to perform, despite his limited opportunities “When I started playing better for my department there were some good players in the squad so I wasn’t given many opportunities to play. However, when I got the chance, in the two matches I played I scored two half-centuries. I played against Hyderabad and my performance was enough for me to regain my confidence. In the two tournaments I played recently, one-day and T20s, I have been one of the top-ten batsmen in the region and regained my confidence. When you don’t perform for a year you lose confidence, you start questioning your technique, forget that it was this technique that allowed you to reach this far. It was good to get some runs under my belt.”

Despite falling off the national selectors’ radar, with the PCB due to announce their squad for the forthcoming Asian Cricket Council Emerging Teams Cup, Ghumman retains the belief he can perform if given the opportunity “I am hopeful of being selected for the Under 23s tournament. In the two tournaments I have played for Hyderabad, I have been amongst the top ten batsmen of any age category, and there are no other Under-23 batsmen who are in the top ten with me. I also got a contract in the BPL [Bangladesh Premier League]. Unfortunately I was unable to go, but it would have provided me with some exposure, given the matches were televised.”

The tournament organized by the Asian Cricket Council could be the springboard he needs to push himself into contention for the national side says the right-handed batsmen “The Under-23 tournament could provide a route back for me. I’m hungry to play cricket for Pakistan but I rely on selection based on the tournaments I play for my region. It also appears that the Under-23s include a lot of the guys who I captained in the Under-19s four years ago in 2009. I am working hard, maintaining full fitness and if the PCB were to select me I would be ready”.

Ghumman is competing with a number of established Pakistan internationals in his departmental team SUI Gas, including Azhar Ali and Taufeeq Umar. “It’s the number one department – they are winning a lot of trophies and have a lot of Test players, so it’s hard to say whether I will be first choice. There are only four or five batting slots, so obviously the Test players will take the batting slots because they are good enough – you cannot tell management to drop the Test quality players for me. The competition is very very tough. I’m not criticising the department, they have such quality players at their disposal that team selection is not an easy decision. In our department this year, whenever the Pakistan national team goes on tour, up to five players could be selected for the national squad. This in turn, provides an opportunity for other players in the department squad to step up and play more matches. This year I have every hope I will play well and I’ll receive support. I believe if a player plays all of the matches for his department, he’ll perform. My problem has been the lack of matches – I am hopeful of more matches this year and if I get the chances, I will be able to perform”

With the Pakistan Under-19 side due to embark on a tour of England next month, Ghumman is positive on their chances of success “The Pakistan Under-19 team is always a strong one. I have played against the captain Sami Aslam and he’s a very good player and I’m hopeful they can perform. There are three or four guys who I know. If they play without fear, they can win. I have always been a great believer in momentum – in bowling batting and as a team. Once you have momentum it’s very difficult to stop the side. The talent there is at Under-19 level in Pakistan cannot be matched by any other country.”

The Asian Cricket Council Emerging Teams Cup is due to commence on 17 August 2013 in Singapore.

Still not too late.

Misbah's example of a late starter is a ray of hope for all players

Azeem Ghumman targets an international call up

What I remember is that he was a brilliant fielder

Almost the forgotten man of Pakistan cricket. I'm sure he was very close to being selected for that ill fated England tour of 2010, but Umer Amin and Azhar were choose over him.

Would like to see him being introduced to the test team if he has a solid domestic season.

He should be getting his chance for SNGPL in this ongoing Ramdan T20 Cup with no Hafeez and other leading SNGPL players.

honestly this guy doesn't look anything look close to getting a call up to the national team. I had been following him after the U-19 world cup and he failed horribly in most of the matches he played.

When he was Under 19 and Pakistan "A" captain he was widely tipped as one for the future, but sadly his career fazed away with a couple of poor seasons in domestic cricket.

Now at SNGPL he has a good opportunity to rebuild his career.

1 heavy season can get him a place in the team .. our batting always needs some quality.

Latest pic of Azeem Ghumman from last nights SNGPLvZTBL game

Attachments

• ag.jpg
    ag.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 1,036
When he was Under 19 and Pakistan "A" captain he was widely tipped as one for the future, but sadly his career fazed away with a couple of poor seasons in domestic cricket.

Now at SNGPL he has a good opportunity to rebuild his career.

Honestly, I think SNGPL is not a good dept for him. He should have chosen a weaker dept which would have provided him more oppurtunities. If Pakistan team isn't touring nowhere when the 1st class starts he will hardly get a game. That's not good for his career. He has the talent but certainly needs to go back to the drawing board to address the issues.

Picked up for the U-23 squad. Many congratulations to him but I don't think he deserved a spot. He is horribly out of form and the way he got out against PQA was mind boggling.

Out on 7 again. Did he reached double digits even a single time in this whole tournament? :facepalm:. Zain Abbas would have been the ideal selection in the U-23 team instead of him. Poor Zain Abbas don't have the backing of anyone otherwise would have been in the team.

Best of luck to Azeem for the future.

He was playing league cricket in Lincolnshire this season before he was called back to Pakistan for the Ramadan Cup.

What ever happened to Azeem Ghumman? He was rated very highly in his U19 days and even was the captain of the team. He was touted as a future international player. 23 already but yet to make an impact.

has done zilch at the domestic level is not evev a Pak A prospect anymore.

40 and 121 for Azeem against a pretty good HBL bowling line-up.

Sorry but not good enough. He was very arrogant in his U19 days and was a shadow in the presence of Babar Azam, Ahmed Shehzad, Hammad Azam etc.

every time i see azeem ghumman , i say to myself that this guy has not done justice to his talent , i think he was better talent than umar akmal . [MENTION=138980]TalentSpotterPk[/MENTION] [MENTION=138379]#GreenRoars[/MENTION]

every time i see azeem ghumman , i say to myself that this guy has not done justice to his talent , i think he was better talent than umar akmal . [MENTION=138980]TalentSpotterPk[/MENTION] [MENTION=138379]#GreenRoars[/MENTION]

Good talent not better.

He still can do justice to his talent as he is still young . Zara 1000 run FC season mein ker k diehard will be back in reckoning.

For me Ahsan Ali is the big deal at the moment.

At U-19 level he was very impressive, but then he under went mask i guess. To me now he is just a good talent. But still he is young, he should give some excellent FC season.

ahsan ali was always a big deal
upcoming right hand openers:-
1. ahsan ali
2. azeem ghumman
3. bismillah khan

ahsan ali was always a big deal
upcoming right hand openers:-
1. ahsan ali
2. azeem ghumman
3. bismillah khan

1 . Ahsan Ali
2 . Imran Butt
3 . Fakhar Zaman
4 . Naeemuddin (Fitness)

Right or left azeem and bismillah aren't at that level.

you are talking about left handers also yeah i think fakhar tops the left handers list and ahsan ali right handers list.

starts with a brilliant 188 against port qasim , hope he converts his talent and potential into some substantial figures this season

51* today for Balochistan vs Northern in Qea20 Round 4

Was out for 95 today.

From PCB report:

Balochistan opener Azeem Ghumman missed out on what would have been his eleventh century in first-class cricket by five runs in his side’s match against Northern at the National Bank Sports Complex.

The right-handed batsman faced 233 balls and struck eight boundaries on his way to 95 before he was dismissed by left-arm orthodox Mohammad Nawaz.

From PCB Report:

For the second time in the match, Balochistan’s Azeem Ghumman became victim of the nervous nineties as he was run out on 91 against Northern at the National Bank Sports Complex.

Balochistan were placed at a comfortable 223 for four from 48 overs and had an imposing 366-run second innings lead after Azeem anchored their innings over the course of his 125-ball stay.

The 29-year-old contributed 113 runs for the third wicket with Akbar-ur-Rehman, who is undefeated on 80 from 89 balls and will have the company of Ayaz Tasawar, who scored 71 in the first innings, when he walks out to bat tomorrow morning.

Azeem Ghumman in action in Quaid-e-Azam Trophy 2020/21

IMG-20201122-WA0026.jpgIMG-20201122-WA0024.jpgIMG-20201122-WA0025.jpg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Good to see Azeem Ghumman back playing at the highest level in domestic cricket once again. Scores of 95 and 91 for Balochistan in their ongoing match against Northern <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/QeaTrophy?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#QeaTrophy</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1330548759512670211?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 22, 2020</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No place in any side for Azeem it seems! Deliberately overlooked or just wasnt good enough?

Back