[VIDEOS] Gautam Gambhir makes an obscene gesture towards fans, blames it on Anti-India slogans being shouted at him

What action should be taken against Gautam Gambhir for his outburst against fans?

• Total voters

Bhaag Viru Bhaag

Senior Test Player
Runs

Gautam Gambhir was seen reacting strongly after being trolled by fans chanting 'Kohli Kohli' at an Asia Cup 2023 match in Sri Lanka. The former India cricketer showed middle finger to the fans.​

Fans of Virat Kohli taunted former India cricketer Gautam Gambhir on the sidelines of Asia Cup 2023 in Sri Lanka. The incident took place when Gambhir was rushing inside the stadium due to rain in Pallekele.

On the sidelines of an Asia Cup 2023 match, Gambhir reacted strongly to the trolls by showing his middle finger to the fans in Sri Lanka. This is not the first time that Kohli fans have trolled Gambhir. During the IPL 2023, Gambhir and Kohli were involved in a heated argument after a match between Lucknow Super Giants and Royal Challengers Bangalore.

During a recent match between RCB and LSG, a heated exchange took place between Kohli and Gambhir. This incident not only made headlines, but also instigated fans on either side who adore their respective cricketing heroes. The spat took place in the game's aftermath, during the traditional post-match handshake. Both players had to be separated by the members of their respective teams, setting off a series of incidents that added a new dimension to their well-documented historical rivalry.

Adding to the drama, a group of fans in the stadium, allegedly supporters of Kohli, started chanting his name when they saw Gambhir ascending the stairs. The discernible 'Kohli, Kohli' echoed around the arena, seemingly rubbing salt into the wounds of the already tense situation. The on-field altercation didn't end there. Kohli was also seen in a contentious situation with Naveen-ul-Haq, who later claimed in an enigmatic social media post that the Indian cricket star had verbally abused him.

Gambhir was spotted pulling away his team's opener, Kyle Mayers, who was in conversation with Kohli. It further stirred the pot, making the spectator wonder what was indeed transpiring behind the scenes.

Both Kohli and Gambhir found themselves in hot water as they received fines for their conduct. According to the IPL Code of Conduct, each was fined 100 percent of their match fees for a Level 2 offence, while Naveen-ul-Haq received a 50 percent cut. Ex-cricketers expressed disappointment at the on-field behaviour of both players, calling their actions unfitting of their stature within the sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to BJP Politician Gautam Gambhir, those fans were Pakistani and they were chanting anti India slogans. What a liar. :bow: :inti

According to BJP Politician Gautam Gambhir, those fans were Pakistani and they were chanting anti India slogans. What a liar. :bow: :inti

"What you see on social media isn’t always the correct picture,”

"The crowd that was made up of Pakistani fans were shouting anti-India slogans were also passing comments on Kashmir. As an Indian, I can’t take anyone saying this about my country, hence I reacted this way.

This is a guy employed by ACC and has been caught making obscene gestures, than lieing about and try to politicalize the whole thing by dragging Pakistan into this.

How do you know its a lie? You were present there?

"What you see on social media isn’t always the correct picture,”

"The crowd that was made up of Pakistani fans were shouting anti-India slogans were also passing comments on Kashmir. As an Indian, I can’t take anyone saying this about my country, hence I reacted this way.

How can one mistake kohli kohli with India murdabad?

What the hell Pakistani fans were doing there in India vs Nepal match?
Y would they raise such slogan when they haven't even raised such slogans in India vs pakistan high voltage maWhen was the last time any Pakistani raised kashmir slogan in a match

Dozens of video showing fans were chanting kohli kohli
This midget want political mileage by lying
Such a bloody attention seeker

Shame on him
His stupidity will raise tensions again between both team, he was clearly passed off by watching players being nice to each other
He is clearly lying
Now he might get desh bakht nationalist medal but thus will seriously dent the good will between both teams n fans
even a teenager act more sensible

What the hell Pakistani fans were doing there in India vs Nepal match?
Y would they raise such slogan when they haven't even raised such slogans in India vs pakistan high voltage maWhen was the last time any Pakistani raised kashmir slogan in a match

Dozens of video showing fans were chanting kohli kohli
This midget want political mileage by lying
Such a bloody attention seeker
how can you say that they were pakistani?

Sorry bro
My English is weak
I'm just saying
Why would any pakistani waste his time n money on a useless match of nepal vs india? Clearly this guy is lying

Sorry bro
My English is weak
I'm just saying
Why would any pakistani waste his time n money on a useless match of nepal vs india? Clearly this guy is lying
This incident is from the Pakistan game and not today.

Gautam Gambhir: "What is shown on social media has no truth in it because people show whatever they want to show. The truth about the video that went viral is that if you raise anti-India slogans and speak about Kashmir then the person before you will obviously react and not smile and leave. There were two to three Pakistanis there who were speaking anti-India things and things on Kashmir. So, it was my natural reaction. I can't hear anything against my country. So, that was my reaction," Gambhir told news agency ANI.

"Do you expect me to not react if you abuse me or my country? I am not that type of person. My only message to those people are when you come to watch a match, enjoy the match and not give political statement. No need to say something wrong about India."

I don't think it was very professional was it.

Whatever the provocation there was no need for such a response.

I can't imagine the broadcasters are too happy with him.

Seems to me that Gambhir is lying. The video clearly shows it is some fans chanting
'Kohli Kohli' and not any anti-India slogans / anything about Kashmir

I have no issues whatsoever with Gambhir showing the middle finger to fans.

Its about time fans get a taste of their own medicine

The crowd generates a lot of noise, but as an individual it was Gautam's responsibility to refrain from engaging in such behavior.

I have no issues whatsoever with Gambhir showing the middle finger to fans.

Its about time fans get a taste of their own medicine

This is not logical.

You have fans who pay to enter a ground, they are not professional cricketers or commentators or officials.
Thousands, if not millions, of people are watching on TV and thousands of fans (including children) are watching in the ground...they are watching players, officials, some of whom are their heroes..

You think it's ok for these ex players, officials to stick a finger up at fans for throwing some banter? Great example this is setting for future generations.

How about let the stadium officials deal with unruly fans like they do on other parts of the world? Isn't that logical?

This is not logical.

You have fans who pay to enter a ground, they are not professional cricketers or commentators or officials.
Thousands, if not millions, of people are watching on TV and thousands of fans (including children) are watching in the ground...they are watching players, officials, some of whom are their heroes..

You think it's ok for these ex players, officials to stick a finger up at fans for throwing some banter? Great example this is setting for future generations.

How about let the stadium officials deal with unruly fans like they do on other parts of the world? Isn't that logical?
Players owe the fans zilch. Fans in particular many Indian fans behave in a very bad manner. I support Gautham Gambhir on this.

Players owe the fans zilch. Fans in particular many Indian fans behave in a very bad manner. I support Gautham Gambhir on this.

Like I said, what you're saying doesn't make any sense.

Players, ex players and those who are still employed in the game have a duty of care towards its viewers, especially young impressionable fans.

The players certainly do owe it tie fans, without the fans there would be no professional cricket which means no income or money made from the game.

These are privileged people who have had a chance to play at the highest level, earn great money and they set an example to everyone else. The least they can do is to ignore silly rants from a section of the crowed.

Otherwise how far do we take it?
A fan head butting a commentator is acceptable?

Otherwise how far do we take it?
A fan head butting a commentator is acceptable?
personally i would enjoy that. For me the highlight of Inzi’s career was when he took a bat and attacked a badly behaved fan in Toronto.

Look don’t get me wrong but i dont like to see sports where everyone is playing with hugs and laughs. You call it illogical and i call it desire for fire.

personally i would enjoy that. For me the highlight of Inzi’s career was when he took a bat and attacked a badly behaved fan in Toronto.

Look don’t get me wrong but i dont like to see sports where everyone is playing with hugs and laughs. You call it illogical and i call it desire for fire.
Players showing passion is one thing..

Anyway, let's agree to disagree

In India you can justify cold blooded murder in the name of people being anti-national.

Here we have Gambhir using the tactic so flippantly to deflect from his own shortcomings.

Watching the video of where he makes the gesture, the fans are clearly shouting Kohli Kohli.

what a clown, bringing pakistani into it for no reason, cant even take some light hearted barracking, afridi was right

Needs to be sent back home. No place for this kind of behaviour

Gautam's behavior was truly regrettable and what's ironic is that he is attempting to justify his actions.
No way should he be doing any more commentary in the Asia cup. Whoever hired him needs to make a tough decision and get rid of him. Extremely unprofessional behaviour

Pathetic behaviour, even worse that he's trying to spin it politically to make it look patriotic.

Looks like he is lying. Even if he is not, that is not the way to behave.

My wife, who was then my Fiancee, went to a match between India and Pak at Kanpur (the game where Afridi hit a 47 ball something century) she was telling me the kind of abuse thrown at Pakistani fielders at the boundary was pathetic, yet none of them reacted and simply ignored. That is how cricketers are supposed to conduct themselves.

Imagine 11 players showing middle fingers to the crowd, joined by Coaching staff and commentators of that country and then say, boss they were abusing our nation so we had to do it.

No way should he be doing any more commentary in the Asia cup. Whoever hired him needs to make a tough decision and get rid of him. Extremely unprofessional behaviour

In the world of showbiz, there is nothing such as bad publicity.

However, I wonder what the relations will be like in the comm box with Pak comms

How do you know its a lie? You were present there?
Ummm there is a video... you can clearly hear kohli kohli. And why would a pakistani attend a India vs Nepal game

Ummm there is a video... you can clearly hear kohli kohli. And why would a pakistani attend a India vs Nepal game

Some above saying this is not from the Nepal game?

Shameful, weak and pathetic ”little man”. Don’t know why broadcasters give him the time of day.

Gautam Gambhir appears to be pursuing political gains with his actions and his perceived arrogance has led to a lack of popularity among his fellow countrymen too.

Kohli.. Kohli.. Kohli

Sorry Gautam bhai :cool:

He seems like a kind of guy who would probably get into fights for getting honked by a car.

The thing I don’t like about him is he is a very, very temperamental person.

He always wants to show to the Media and people that he is such an Ultra Patriot. Overacting drama of Patriotism .

He always wants to show to the Media and people that he is such an Ultra Patriot. Overacting drama of Patriotism .

Fact is he got carried away but instead of apologizing for his behaviour, he has chosen the path of stupidity.

Did people seriously expect decent behavior from Gambhir? He has always been classless, this incident only solidifies that.

Its just Gambhir being Gambhir. Hope AAP makes a huge issue out of it in Delhi.

And he is a liar too in trying to hide behind nationalism. He has learnt this from his political bosses.

Video only captures part of it or it can even be morphed. There are also videos surfacing that he got upset with 'Dhoni, Dhoni' chant. Even media asked him about his gesture during Dhoni chant. So what is it? Did he got uspet with Kohli chant or Dhoni chant?

I am not asking to take whatever Gambhir is saying at facevalue but you can't come to any conclusion from 30 sec video either. Maybe there were some anti India slogans hurled at him first and then when he got angry fans started mocking him with names of players he don't get along well. He lost his cool and made the hand gesture. The video only captured his reaction but nothing on what triggered it.

Are you saying its beyond Pak fans to make anti-India or pro Kashmir slogans?LOL

Video only captures part of it or it can even be morphed. There are also videos surfacing that he got upset with 'Dhoni, Dhoni' chant. Even media asked him about his gesture during Dhoni chant. So what is it? Did he got uspet with Kohli chant or Dhoni chant?

I am not asking to take whatever Gambhir is saying at facevalue but you can't come to any conclusion from 30 sec video either. Maybe there were some anti India slogans hurled at him first and then when he got angry fans started mocking him with names of players he don't get along well. He lost his cool and made the hand gesture. The video only captured his reaction but nothing on what triggered it.

Are you saying its beyond Pak fans to make anti-India or pro Kashmir slogans?LOL
You have to be deaf to not hear kohli kohli kohli.why would pakistani fabs be at a nepal game?

Its not ok to flip your finger that too if you are an employee

@Rajdeep is right.

The audio could be morphed, just like the ungli, did gautam really flip the bird or is it someone else’s hand? Was gautam really there or was he morphed?

Were they really chanting ‘Kohli Kohli’ as heard in the video or were they chanting ‘big headed midget’ we just don’t know for sure.

This guy is pathetic , to save his own skin he uses a politically loaded lie. Yes it’s obvious he is lying , his ego can’t take that Kohli will always be liked more and celebrated more as the superior player by fans and the players themselves. Afridi was right about this piece of work

How is Star Sports not sacking this guy?
Everything in India is compromised these days, everyone is scared of the regime.

Star Sports won't dare to fire Gambhir as he is a ruling regime MP.

You have to be deaf to not hear kohli kohli kohli.why would pakistani fabs be at a nepal game?

Its not ok to flip your finger that too if you are an employee
Already told you its from Ind-Pak game. Gambo was wearing white shirt on that day and black against the game against Nepal. Its all black and white bro

Already told you its from Ind-Pak game. Gambo was wearing white shirt on that day and black against the game against Nepal. Its all black and white bro
Commentators can change into any shirt during a game.

Also indian media itself reported that it happened during nepal vs india game...

Like i said you dont care that he flipped his finger, your only concern here aswel is to defend the country

Gambhir is immature. The man retired a decade ago and still thrusts himself into the thick of the things.

Gambhir has always been a Hindu extremist, he shouldn't even be in the position he is currently in, let alone have such a situation take place where he brings even more dishonour.

Former India cricketer Gautam Gambhir has ended his stint with Lucknow Super Giants and joined Kolkata Knight Riders as a team mentor. Gambhir served the role of LSG's mentor for two years.

Gautam Gambhir Quits Lucknow Super Giants, Announces Name Of His New IPL Franchise

Former India cricketer Gautam Gambhir officially left Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Lucknow Super Giants to rejoin Kolkata Knight Riders, a team with which he won two titles as skipper. KKR's CEO Venky Mysore announced the decision on Wednesday, assigning the role of a mentor to Gambhir. The Knight Riders' co-owner Shah Rukh Khan welcomed the decision with open arms, calling the arrival of Gambhir to the franchise as the 'return of their captain'. Even Gambhir was all emotional as his KKR switch from LSG was sealed.

Gambhir served the role of LSG's mentor for two years, helping them reach the final in the IPL 2022 edition. In the 2023 campaign, LSG finished third in the league standings but couldn't qualify for the final for the second time in a row.

He announced his departure from Lucknow through an emotional post: "Gambhir also bid farewell to the Super Giants with an emotional post. He wrote on Twitter, "As I announce the end of my impeccable journey with Lucknow Super Giants, I am filled with love and immense gratitude towards all the players, coaches, support staff and every individual who has made this journey memorable. I would like to thank Dr. Sanjiv Goenka for his inspiring leadership while creating this remarkable franchise and for his tremendous support to all my endeavours. I'm sure that the team will do wonders in the future and will make every LSG fan proud. All the very best LSG brigade!"

Speaking on his return, Gambhir said, "I am not an emotional person and not many things move me. But this is different. This is back to where it all started. Today, there is a lump in my throat and fire in my heart as I think about slipping into that purple and gold jersey once again. I am not only coming back to KKR but I am coming back to the city of joy. I am back. I am hungry. I am number 23. Ami KKR."

Welcoming Gambhir back to KKR, Shah Rukh said: "Gautam has always been part of the family and this is our Captain coming back home in a different avatar as a "Mentor". He was sorely missed and now we all look forward to Chandu Sir and Gautam in instilling the never-say-die spirit and of sportsmanship they stand for, in creating magic with Team KKR."
NDTV

Gambhir may be a petty individual but the guy's cricketing nous is exceptional. He must have chewed out KL Rahul behind the scenes in IPL for his inability to come good at business stages.

Back