[VIDEOS/PICTURES] Pakistan tour of New Zealand to play 5-match T20I series (2024)

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Pakistan announce Team squad full of youngsters against New Zealand for T20 series in New Zealand in 2024.

GBtBpbDaIAA5zj3

Pakistan name 17-member squad for New Zealand T20I series

•Usama Mir, Mohammad Abbas Afridi and Haseebullah get their maiden call-up; Sahibzada Farhan, Azam Khan and uncapped Abrar Ahmed return to the squad

•Shaheen Shah Afridi to lead Pakistan for the first time

•Series to take place from 12 to 21 January 2024

Right-arm pacer Mohammad Abbas Afridi, wicketkeeper-batter Haseebullah and leg-spinner Usama Mir have earned their maiden call-ups to the T20I team following their commendable run during the domestic season. Sahibzada Farhan, who made his T20I debut for Pakistan in 2018, has also returned to the squad after he impressed with the bat in the National T20 Cup 2023-24.

Shaheen Shah Afridi will be leading the Pakistan squad for the first time. The series also marks the start of Pakistan’s preparations for the ICC T20 World Cup 2024, which is scheduled to take place in June 2024.

The national men’s selection committee headed by Wahab Riaz assembled the 17-member squad for Pakistan’s T20I tour of New Zealand, which will comprise five matches, to be played from 12 January to 21 January 2024, across four venues namely; Auckland, Hamilton, Dunedin and Christchurch. Pakistan will be touring New Zealand immediately after their Test tour of Australia, with the last match to be played from 3 to 7 January 2024 in Sydney. The squad will depart for New Zealand from Lahore on 3 January 2024, while players who are currently in Australia for the Test series, will join them on 8 January 2024.

Mohammad Abbas Afridi, who represented Peshawar, was among the top wicket-takers of the National T20 Cup. The 23-year-old picked up 14 scalps at an average of 16.43 in nine matches during the tournament. Earlier during the domestic season, he ended as the joint-highest wicket-taker of the Pakistan Cup; bagging 15 scalps at an average of 15 from seven games. He was also named the emerging player of HBL PSL 8. Representing Multan Sultans, Abbas took 23 wickets at an average of 16.17, ending as the tournament’s leading wicket-taker. Leg-spinner Usama Mir has earned his maiden T20I call-up, having made his ODI debut for Pakistan this year as well and has featured in 12 games in the format thus far.

Haseebullah earned his maiden call-up after impressing with the bat during the domestic season. He was declared player of the tournament during this year’s Pakistan Cup for his remarkable performance with the bat and gloves; he made 326 runs in seven matches, including two centuries and a half-century, and had 10 dismissals behind the stumps.

Peshawar’s top-order batter, Sahibzada Farhan, amassed 492 runs from 12 games in the National T20 Cup. The right-handed batter smashed a century and four half-centuries, and had the highest individual boundary count (55 fours and 29 sixes) in the Cup. Uncapped Abrar Ahmed returns to the squad as well. Azam Khan, who last featured for Pakistan against Afghanistan in March 2023, has also been named in the squad.

Considering the conditions in New Zealand, Pakistan has opted for six pace options; Aamir Jamal, Zaman Khan, Haris Rauf, Mohammad Wasim Jnr, Abbas Afridi and Shaheen.

Naseem Shah, Ihsanullah and Shadab Khan will not be part of the squad due to injuries. Shan Masood, Mohammad Haris and Faheem Ashraf, who were part of Pakistan’s squad during the last bilateral series, miss out on the tour.

The players named in the squad will be assembling for a training camp, ahead of their departure. The camp will take place 28 December 2023 to 3 January 2024 in Lahore. Nine additional players have also been called up for the camp: Mohammad Haris, Arif Yaqoob, Mohammad Imran, Mohammad Amir Khan, Sajjad Ali Jnr, Shahab Khan, Ahmed Shehzad, Kamran Ghulam and Omair Bin Yousuf.

Full squad: Shaheen Shah Afridi (captain), Aamir Jamal, Abbas Afridi, Azam Khan (wicket-keeper), Abrar Ahmed, Babar Azam, Fakhar Zaman, Haris Rauf, Haseebullah (wicket-keeper), Iftikhar Ahmed, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Rizwan (wicket-keeper), Mohammad Wasim Jnr, Sahibzada Farhan, Saim Ayub, Usama Mir, Zaman Khan.

Wahab Riaz, chief selector men’s cricket team, said: “It is very important for us to nurture our young talent as they have to represent Pakistan going forward. This is the best pool of players but we also want to build back-ups. We have to explore our new talent and see what kind of performances they are capable of producing. Going forward, we need to understand our back-up options in our player pool and also promote domestic performers.

“Mohammad Haris has been rested during this series. We are well aware of his capabilities and he is part of our plans going forward. Shan Masood is also part of our plans and he has been rested for this series. We will call him up if we require him to fill any gaps in the team.”

Full schedule:
1st T20 – 12 January 2024 at Eden Park, Auckland
2nd T20 – 14 January 2024 at Seddon Park, Hamilton
3rd T20 – 17 January 2024 at University Oval, Dunedin
4th T20 – 19 January 2024 at Hagley Oval, Christchurch
5th T20 – 21 January 2024 at Hagley Oval, Christchurch

The team looks ok. Not sure why Haseebullah is selected. Two WK batsmen seem enough and if not then it should have been M Haris.

Also I'd probably drop Nawaz.

Mohammad Haris had a SR of 146 whereas Haseebullah's SR was 111 in the recent National T20. Not sure why we need three wicketkeepers but whatever.

Apart from that the squad looks okay.

Thank god there's no Shadab or Faheem. Talk about fruitless investments.

Mohammad Haris had a SR of 146 whereas Haseebullah's SR was 111 in the recent National T20. Not sure why we need three wicketkeepers but whatever.

shadab is injured so technically not dropped but is abrar or usama can perform then it would be difficult for him to make a comeback

Haseebullah for what?

The next Rizwan agenda torture for the next decade to follow after him??

Haseebullah is a deeply mediocre batsman, and has no place in an international line up.

As others have said, there’s no reason for Babar or Rizwan to be playing this pointless series.

Mohammad Haris?

Why is such a dynamic batsman not in the squad?

And Azam Khan? They have to be trolling. :ibutt

Some familiar parchi Farhan, Usama, Haris and Nawaz. Both Babar and Rizwan need break. M haris should be selected ahead of Rizwan

So Wahab selected same club level bowler in the squad. All talk do nothing.

My concern is their are six openers in the squad and only one middle order batsmen. They also have Azam Khan their the back up keeper batsman.

But surely they haven't thought out the team combination well in selecting the squad.

Watched his press conference....and one thing i noticed is that neither Pakistan cricket management nor Pakistani people know what cricket is.....
It was absolute rubish how people were asking him about Shan Masoods place in Pakistan squad.... and no one dared to ask him about the inclusion of medicore player Mohammad Nawaz...

This is on Imad Wasim

He let this happen
But brother are not there other spinners waiting for their chances.
And you know selecting this fruad in the squad means he will be in the playing eleven....
Anyways it's theirs team so whatever they will do....but one thing i would like to say ......RIP Pakistan cricket..

Watched his press conference....and one thing i noticed is that neither Pakistan cricket management nor Pakistani people know what cricket is.....
It was absolute rubish how people were asking him about Shan Masoods place in Pakistan squad.... and no one dared to ask him about the inclusion of medicore player Mohammad Nawaz...
I mean they did, and wahab openly said unfortunately some players have retired (Imad Wasim). What do you want them to do, no other left arm all rounders have been groomed for T20Is.

Haseebullah only played 3 matches in the National T20, so it might not be the best representation of his abilities.

What an absolute awful squad. Wahab Riaz has no spine. All the talk, and yet he cannot drop Rizwan and Babar. All the talk and he drops Haris and selects an ODI/test player Haseebullah instead. Is Hafeez giving any input on these? What on earth..

Last edited by a moderator:
Its an ok squad for a Pakistan B team. Omissions from this list who make my first XI are Haris, Naseem, Hasnain, Ihsanullah, Shadab.

Pakistan announce Team squad full of youngsters against New Zealand for T20 series in New Zealand in 2024.

GBtBpbDaIAA5zj3
Looks a good squad. Pretty much similar to one would expect.

Mohammad Haris has been oddly rested and in comes Haseebullah. I just hope Wahab truly means what he has said about Haris being rested. Still you never know when the management changes and decides to carry on with this squad ahead without Haris. Pakistan truly lack a player in the middle order. Aside from Iftikhar really you have none.

I suspect Shoaib Malik will be making a comeback in the near future and in the absence of Imad. Shadab is a good choice to be fitted in that middle order. He bats no. 4 in PSL and can also provide crucial overs. Haseebullah in the middle, I'm not convinced yet. But I hope he performs if he's given a chance in this series.

The good thing about this squad is that we may finally see the end of RizBar combo. At the very least one of Rizwan or Babar needs to come in at no. 3 or sit on the bench. The squad does suggest that the XI needs to have one of the openers coming and playing in at middle order. Unless they think Haseebullah will be playing at no. 4 or 5 in all matches.

I hope the team is willing to experiment different combinations in this tour. Given the tough competition at the top. I also don't mind someone like a Fakhar or Haris coming in at no. 6 in the future and playing that finishing role. Pakistan really do lack good middle order T20 players.

Happy for Jamal, Farhan, Usama, Abrar and Abbas. They deserve a go.

After the PSL we should see a couple of new performers and then the picture for the WT20 squad will start to become more clear.

Wahab said that Haris is being rested in this tour because they already know of his capabilities. If it's true then it means that the team is sure of Haris being a permenant member of XI going forward and it's the rest of openers that needs to be tried and tested.

Whether Haseebullah deserves a spot or not is another debate. But I suspect he will be playing in the middle order. He did played a few good knocks at 5 or 6 in the PSL. It's not like Pakistan have solid middle order players in domestic waiting for a chance like the openers.

Haris is dropped but Wahab Riaz claims he is being rested and is part of future plans.

What does that even mean? Haris doesn’t play test or ODI. His workload is nothing. This is a disgrace of a statement by Riaz.
Something you never see in Pakistani culture. This can mean or go either way. But future has become uncertain for Haris.

Even if Wahab has Haris in the plans. What if the management is bowled out soon? Will the new management pick Haris as their no. 1 choice going forward in the WT20?

My concern is their are six openers in the squad and only one middle order batsmen. They also have Azam Khan their the back up keeper batsman.

But surely they haven't thought out the team combination well in selecting the squad.
I hope they are going to try different opening combinations and perhaps Babar and Riz in the middle order.

I hope they are going to try different opening combinations and perhaps Babar and Riz in the middle order.
At no. 3 it makes sense to have Rizwan or Babar. But no. 4. I'm not sure. Shoaib Malik still look like the best option in the country for that position. He has experience of playing in the West Indies as well.

Are there no middle order batsmen in Pak?
Hard to find for T20s. There's Azam Khan (People mind him because of his fitness), Iftikhar (settled) and Haseebullah (Make shift middle order player. Did alright in PSL).

There were a few domestic performers like Kamran Ghulam. Not sure why he was not picked ahead of Haseebullah.

Hard to find for T20s. There's Azam Khan (People mind him because of his fitness), Iftikhar (settled) and Haseebullah (Make shift middle order player. Did alright in PSL).

There were a few domestic performers like Kamran Ghulam. Not sure why he was not picked ahead of Haseebullah.
kamran ghulam is medicore he will fail at internation stage

Sahibzada has the most epic name in world cricket

He has the look of a hero too!

“Jis race se mujhe nikalne ki baat Kar rahe the

Uss race ka sabse purana khiladi hoo main”

Sahibzada has the most epic name in world cricket

He has the look of a hero too!

“Jis race se mujhe nikalne ki baat Kar rahe the

Uss race ka sabse purana khiladi hoo main”
Sahibzada and Fakhar.

Deadly opening duo

I think one of babar or rizwan should have been rested

The positives: Aamer jamal, abrar ahmed, abbas afridi, usama, saim and farhan and zaman khan these guys have been selected by merit. I am really happy abbas afridi is given a chance

The negatives: Nawaz, Azam Khan

Nawaz is clearly done and should never be selected for Pakistan again. As for Azam Khan, i know he has the ability to play big shots and score runs, however his fielding alone and fitness will cost you more matches. Even when he has been given a chance he has not done anything.

I think hasbeullah is more on odi player but I am okay with him getting a chance.

I hope all the players get an even chance to play, no point in not trying your bench strenght

I would go
Saim
Rizwan
Babar
Farhan
Azam
Ifti
Nawaz
Jamal/Abbas
Wasim/Rauf
Shaheen
Abrar

What an absolute awful squad. Wahab Riaz has no spine. All the talk, and yet he cannot drop Rizwan and Babar. All the talk and he drops Haris and selects an ODI/test player Haseebullah instead. Is Hafeez giving any input on these? What on earth..

We’re about to be wiped in Australia so Hafeez is thinking about his own record.

The fans don’t mind a whitewash as long as we figure out some new combinations.

But Hafeez wants Babar and Rizwan there to give him the best chance of winning some matches.

We can hope we see a different opening combination in the first game. But if we lose it’ll be back to tried and tested RizBab.

Haris is dropped but Wahab Riaz claims he is being rested and is part of future plans.

What does that even mean? Haris doesn’t play test or ODI. His workload is nothing. This is a disgrace of a statement by Riaz.
I mean Haris flatters to deceive. He has fantastic hand eye co-ordination but a technique that is still a bit iffy and no real game outside of block or boundary.

Haris needs time and a bit of a kick to improve his game. The raw materials are there but that is the key word - raw.

At this point he’d be a slighter better version of Haider Ali. No rush to pick him. He should get another 18 months to improve his game before international cricket.

The murky business in Pakistan selections continue with Muhammad Haris dropped without any reason

There are people here who have a serious issue with me for claiming Asif Ali should be captain of Pakistan….

But the same people say things like ‘Mohammad Harris at the moment is a slightly better version than Haider Ali’

Baaqi aap sab siyane ho. Khud hisaab laga lo

Curious about how many in the 17 selected represent the prestigious Saya Corp aka Yazoo Group

I suspect this will be our match winning combination:

Babar
Rizwan
Fakhar
Iftikhar
Saim
Sahibzada
Azam Khan

The openers are absolute GUN. The ELITE Caliber Babar and Pakistan’s greatest opener Mohammad Rizwan

I suspect this will be our match winning combination:

Babar
Rizwan
Fakhar
Iftikhar
Saim
Sahibzada
Azam Khan

The openers are absolute GUN. The ELITE Caliber Babar and Pakistan’s greatest opener Mohammad Rizwan

Small boundaries in NZ will suite the delicate style of RizBar phenomenon, a treat for stat paddlers and Yazoo cult

7 out of 17, that's quite a number
And people have a problem with Zaka taking this issue on. This is the level we have stooped to. You have a problem with the Authority trying to eliminate this issue only because he doesn’t represent the political party you like.

Rest a player who plays one format🤣

My guess is that Haris bullied him in net practices during his time with Zalmi.

Get the elections done and get Wahab out ASAP.

Can’t believe Haris got dropped. The only player who plays with intentnup front gets dropped without even getting a proper chance.

On top of that you go ahead and select 3 wks!

Wahab saying Harris has been rested we know his caliber and wanted to give other a chance as backup option

- Great to see that Iftikhar Ahmad is part of the team plans
- Good to see Abbas Afridi being selected
- Aamir Jamal being selected is a good call
- 6 fast bowlers in one squad are just too many.
- Glad to see Shaibada Farhan finally got into the team
- Azam Khan should not had been selected cause he is fat
- Haseebullah is a good call, but first choice keeper should be Rizwan
- One batter too short in the squad?

Can’t believe Haris got dropped. The only player who plays with intentnup front gets dropped without even getting a proper chance.

On top of that you go ahead and select 3 wks!
bro Harris is not that good. He needs to fix his batting. Selecting him was premature and was going to end up like Haider Ali.

He has potential but doesnt mean you destroy that potential by giving him internatioanl games. Needs to develop abit more in domestic.

Wahab saying Harris has been rested we know his caliber and wanted to give other a chance as backup option
Wahab not making sense - we could say that about half the squad yet they're selected yet Haris who's hardly played much international cricket is rested ?

Fakhar Zaman
Rizwan
Saim Ayub
Sahibzada Farhan
Babar
Iftikhar Ahmed
Aamir Jamal
Abrar Ahmed
Abbas Afridi
Shaheen
Haris Rauf

Wahab not making sense - we could say that about half the squad yet they're selected yet Haris who's hardly played much international cricket is rested ?
rested is the new drop. THats the term they were using for Rizwan in the test.

Anyways Harris needed to be dropped, he isnt as good as people make him to be. He cant build an innings, and throws his wicekt like Umar Akmal.

Needs to develop in domestic before getting called up.

Haseeb on the other hand has played quite alot of cricket.

It’s an extremely odd thing to say and clearly isn’t the real reason Haris isn’t playing this series.

But at the same time we aren’t benching some superstar prodigy.

Haris has 9 fifties in 64 innings as mainly an opener and his average is nothing special.

His strike rate is good but if you watch him you’ll notice technical flaws which would be exposed at international level.

I don’t see why Wahab couldn’t just say “the lad needs time”.

I personally don't think its a bad team, however their are a few surprises within the squad. Mohammad Nawaz being retained is.... something.

Resting Babar-Rizwan would have been a good idea. Azam Khan can hit sixes however he can't field whatsoever & don't get me started on his fitness.

However, its good to see Farhan, Abbas Afridi, Aamer Jamal picked, however like many posters I'm somewhat surprised about Mohammad Haris dropping, would have made more sense to include him specially over someone like Haseebullah Khan.

Overall, its not bad.

1. Fakhar Zaman
2. Saim Ayub
3. Mohammad Rizwan (WK)
4. Sahibzada Farhan
5. Iftikhar Ahmed
6. Aamer Jamal
7. Abbas Afridi
8. Mohammad Wasim Jnr
9. Shaheen Shah Afridi (C)
10. Abrar Ahmed
11. Haris Rauf

I think it would be wise for Pakistan to persist with Aamer Jamal as they need a pace bowling AR.

- Haris Rauf was poor in the world cup and should've been dropped. Shanawaz Dahani, Arshad Iqbal deserve a chance ahead of him.

- Dropping Mo Haris is pretty outrageous. Hes the reason why we got to the wc final a few years back. Its on pcb/captain for not giving him a solid position in the team so he can develop properly.

- Rizzy doesn't fit into the team and shouldn't have been picked.

- Nawaz shouldn't have been picked but understandable considering how Qasim Akram and Mubasir Khan didn't perform in the domestic league and Arafat Minhas is still quite raw. Although not an all-rounder, I still would have preferred Mehran Mumtaz over him.

- Like the fact that Amir Jamal, Azam Khan, Saim Ayub, Sahibzada Farhan got picked. Hopefully then can go on to cement their place in the squad.

What did Ifthikhar do in WC to deserve a selection! Write it on the paper he won’t perform! He is done

I watched the overlap with Gary Neville where they went through the Man Utd squad and said - keep, last chance, sack.

This is my assessment of the current squad

Shaheen Shah Afridi (captain) - Keep
Aamir Jamal - Keep
Abbas Afridi - Keep
Azam Khan (wicket-keeper) - Last Chance
Abrar Ahmed - Keep
Babar Azam - Last Chance
Fakhar Zaman - Keep
Haris Rauf - Last Chance
Haseebullah (wicket-keeper) - Sack for now
Iftikhar Ahmed - Keep
Mohammad Nawaz - Sack
Mohammad Rizwan (wicket-keeper)- keep
Mohammad Wasim Jnr - Keep
Sahibzada Farhan - Keep
Saim Ayub - Keep
Usama Mir - last chance
Zaman Khan - keep

All in all not the worst squad.

Last chance saloon imo for Babar and Haris.

Azam I put on last chance coz I don't think his heart is in it but lets see.

rested is the new drop. THats the term they were using for Rizwan in the test.

Anyways Harris needed to be dropped, he isnt as good as people make him to be. He cant build an innings, and throws his wicekt like Umar Akmal.

Needs to develop in domestic before getting called up.

Haseeb on the other hand has played quite alot of cricket.
Lol he was sole reason Pakistan managed final of Wt20 when your golden boys failed

Lol he was sole reason Pakistan managed final of Wt20 when your golden boys failed
there is something called Player Development. You can go gaga on a few boundaries, but that doesnt mean that player is ready.

This is just like how everyone used to go gaga over Umar Akmal, Sohaib Maqsood and even Haider Ali. Few boundaries, and we would hear statements that he is better than the golden boys......

Those boundaries that you see are for short term, but in the long term how that player plays and develop matters.

Harris was flawed from day 1, and while Rameez was his big supporter, even Rameez had to admit htat this kid needs to stop throwing his wicket away. Which is why its better if he goes back to domestic cricket and is developed instead of wasting time with the Pakistan team where he can destroy his career or chance like Haider Ali did.

Harris is not out of the plans, its for his own good that he is developed more.

Back